What does Kovalchuk want?

And who’s going to give it to him?

L.A.? Nyet!

Two teams still in the hunt

Elliotte Friedman’s take

The lessons of this year’s market

Souray clears waivers

• Brian Burke keeps his promise

1. pic1983 says:

Sorry, in #2, by bigger deal I meant maybe he could actually get his $10 million with a lights-out performance on a one-year deal.  Outside of desperate teams, no one is ponying up $10million/season for him.

2. krob1000 says:

Sorry, I have been under the assumption since last season that Hammer would not be with us at the beginning of this season if at all possible……I would be moving him for the sake of moving him.  I like Hammer but at 5.25 million bucks I like Simon Gagne far more than I like Hammer at 5.5. I think Subban is going to be a big boost to our D, Spacek is the same player as Hammer, Markov will be back, Gorges and OB an extra year, we already have another dinosaur in Hal Gill whose leadership is obviously overiding his dkills as he wears a letter so I see Hammer as the odd man out…..with that space I would target a sure fire 20 goal guy with potential for more for our top six.  Gagne is just too versatile and responsible to not consider IMO. Fragility aside he is the ultimate fit IMO for a third part to the Gomez line…that is a tough line to play on and it seems like a very difficult chore to find someone who will fit there…I think Gagne would…perfectly.

3. Puck Bard says:

(pickles cost extra)

4. Puck Bard says:

Not according to post’s below: apparently we can double the price and nab Kovalchuk! Lol.

5. HabFanSince72 says:

We don’t have the cap space to take him on.

6. Say Ash says:

Yeah, but 4.5 mil after Quebec tax works out to what – lunch at Schwartz’s?

7. ZepFan2 says:

Calm down, Clay.

Like you, I was kidding around. I guess ONLY you are allowed that privilege, eh.

You REALLY need to lighten up. That, or get laid!

————————————————————————

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

8. RGM says:

This has nothing to do with Carey Price. It has to do with you making a very offensive post that tried to make a linkage between the moderators of this forum and Nazis.

I know you think you’re being clever and all of that by trying to say this has something to do with Carey Price because I am a Carey Price fan. However, you’re not.

Scotty Bowman said it best: “Don’t trade Carey Price.”

9. krob1000 says:

On Simon  Gagne…..I know of his injury history…but history is just that….look how many games Gaborik played, HAvalt,etc. All of the guys we traded for were supposed to be durable based on their history yet they all missed significant time,etc.  Gagne’s cap hit is 5.25…..heavy but for one season….cold we keep him after that? who knows but would I love to have him this season? Absolutely I would.  Gagne would be the perfect fit for our top six….he would be fast enough and smart enough to play with Gio and Gomez and/or could play with Pleks and Cammi.  I can’t really think of too many guys who are smart enough, skilled enough, can play PK and be a threat, defensive enough, has the heart and will to go to dirty areas, etc who would have the versatility Gagne would and would fit our system.  Hossa would work, Gagne would work…as wingers and with our system and personnel…he is the perfect fit.  There is a big rik with injury but that is always the case ….. if we could move Hammer and take on Gagne I would instantly consider us complete enough to begin the season and elevate expectations….that would be one tough team to play against.

The Price is always the issue and I wouldn’t pay much at all for Gagne given there is only one year on his deal and the likelihood of him bolting after is pretty high ….but I would love to take a chance on him for this season.  After all it is essentially a salary dump for Philly and they likely can;t take any real salary on.  That would make us three lines deep with a fourth that could be scarfy too. If one of the wildcards at camp this year (AVTSIN, ENQVIST,etc) were to make the team, one of AK or POuliot has a decent season, one of PAcioretty or Eller has a 15 goal season…..yikes…..we are all of the sudden deep, fast, skilled, and I would argue in pretty good shape.  We would still need to likely shore up the d at he dealine with a veteran for the playoffs but…I would be pretty confident heading into the playoffs with a lineup of : GIO_GOMEZ-GAGNE, PLEKS-CAMMI-AK, LAps-Moen-BOYD, Eller-Pouliot-Pyatt……and two of Darche, White, Enqvist, Avtstin to fill out the forwards.

10. HabFanSince72 says:

He can’t get a bigger contract than $10M/yr.

11. Puck Bard says:

My ancestors came to Quebec City in 1671. Habs was French, Maroons were the English team. But when Quebec City got its franchise in 1972 it coincided nicely with the political transformation of the province; many Quebecois switched allegiance to the Nordiques (especially young French rebelling versus family / tradition).

There has been a long blackout for Quebecois and hockey in the last 20 years. You talk to a lot of the young French and they really don’t give a crap about Habs or hockey (they prefer skiing and Formula 1).

I agree that a second franchise would indirectly give the Habs a great shot-in-the-arm.

12. Clay4bc says:

They’ll never come for you, Bugs – you’re a special case.

__________________________

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Denis Diderot

13. Bugs says:

Maybe, just maybe, this guy Ilya is waitin for the Habs to call’m? Ever thought about that?

Maybe these crazy monetary demands are a FOIL to turn other teams off until he gets an offer from the Habs.

4.5 mil a year for 5 years is all he wants but he wants it in Bleu-Blanc-Rouge money. Easy.

Give his agent a call, ferpetessakes!

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

14. Bugs says:

Hey, I resent that. I’m still here!

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

15. Bugs says:

You forgot 4) Or go back to Russia.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

16. Bugs says:

As long as they don’t come for me, everything’ll be juuuust fine.

We’ll carry on and be the better for it.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

17. krob1000 says:

There is no player not named Crosby who could help the Habs more than Quebec getting a hockey team.  When the Nordiques left….the spotlight was thrust entirely on the Habs and it has been brutal since …to make it that much worse the Habs traded Roy to the old Nrodiques franchise and he won a cup….yikes.  I am not a francophone and do not fully understand the finer details of the the language issues,etc…but from what I have gathered from the froncophones that I know,etc….. Montreal was always considered a bilingual town much like Ottawa but heavier on the French as Ottawa is heavier on the English..Quebec City was French like a town like Hamilton is English.  I think that the Nordiques were the team that represented the predominantly French fan base….I think the Habs while still holding onto the fans that they had won over time were a team that the bulk of English Quebecers rooted for as they were more likely to live in Montreal and Montreal had a strong fan base outside of Quebec.

I am not stating this as fact as folks on here will know better than I but this is how it has been explained to me by those I have known who have lived in both Quebec and Montreal and other areas in La Belle Province.  Then when the Expos left the Habs became the only show in the province and that  intensified things even more ….then just to add insult to injury along came the communications age and the expedited delivery of all news via internet,etc…..essentially the perfect storm to make it all but impossible for a Montreal Canadien to take a dump without everyone knowing it.

I would sign Kovalchuk simply to trade him to a new franchise in Quebec for the pressure  relief..screw the cap in that case…I would pay a sixth of the cap just to move us from the microscpe ( HIO excluded of course)

18. HabsFanInTampa says:

I just read where Kovy is seeking $10M a year for 10 years. That’s why the Kings are giving up on signing him.

19. pic1983 says:

Kovalchuk basically has 3 options:

1- Take his $100 Million dollar long-term contract with a bottom-dweller.

2-Take a one year deal with a contender like Marian Hossa did to prove his worth in hopes of getting a bigger deal

3- Taking a long-term front loaded deal with a lower cap with a contender like Marian Hossa did.

I am fairly positive that by the time kovalchuk signs, his deal isnt going to be for $100million or more (unless its a 15 year deal).

20. camel_larry says:

haven’t you noticed the relative lack of extreme idiocy the past day or 2?

21. ed lopaz says:

was just visiting your web site; is the business active?

22. Clay4bc says:

I’m thinking of writing a screenplay in your honour called “When Pricebots Attack”, or some such thing. Can I count on you to play a supporting role (the lead belong elsewhere)?

I’m curious – what did Scotty say about Halak?

__________________________

23. Clay4bc says:

Illiteracy is a tragedy…did you miss the bottom line, or were you just unable to read it??

__________________________

24. BJ says:

A rumor is going around that Peladeau’s group has made a bid for the Atlanta Thrashers for a Quebec City transfer.

25. smiler2729 says:

Tony242 is deep sixed now too?

26. RGM says:

You do realize that paraphrasing Martin Niemoller’s poem about the Nazis’ systematic stripping of human rights group-by-group in Germany is a pretty good way to draw comparisons, do you not?

Scotty Bowman said it best: “Don’t trade Carey Price.”

27. ZepFan2 says:

Crying over Tony, are we.

Lmao

————————————————————————

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

28. Clay4bc says:

Jesus man – lighten up. What’s your problem? You have truly turned over to the dark side. Who is comparing anyone to Nazi’s? Well, I guess Boone compared Philly to them a while back.

__________________________

29. ed lopaz says:

thanks Natrous – appreciate your explanation – I know the ship has sailed.

should be interesting to see what Price and Halak actually end up signing for.

I’ve read 1.5 million for Price and 4 million for Halak on this site a few times.

I’ve also read 3 million for Price and 5 million for Halak.

PK is listed as my favorite current Hab as well  – very excited to see what he can do next year.

I won’t miss a shift!!

30. Natrous says:

It’s not easy to talk contract with a young, defensive-first dman like Stall (despite the fact that he put up more than a handful of goals last year), but that’s probably what’s going on there.

You don’t want to over-pay for a guy who’s more of a shut-down than a puck mover, but it seems that with Volchenkov and Komisarek, that’s the way things are going for one dimentional D.

31. Natrous says:

While it was possible at one time to keep both goalies (and thus being forced to let Pleks go), that ship has clearly sailed after signing #14 long-term and dealing our more expensive goaltending option to St. Louis.

As for KovyII coming to Montreal, we can all dream – but it doesn’t make it any more realistic. There are only a few teams in the league that have the cap space and payroll to pull off a signing that big, and the Habs are clearly the cap space half of that equation.

Comparing the HIO mods to the Nazis is a bit of a stretch, maybe, no?

33. Clay4bc says:

Repost for HH…

“THEY CAME FIRST for the Leaf’s fans,
    and I didn’t speak up because, well, we all hate the leafs..

THEN THEY CAME for the Trolls,
    and I didn’t speak up because trolls piss me off.

THEN THEY CAME for the Timo and Tony,
    and I didn’t speak up because I didn’t share their opinions.

THEN THEY CAME for me
    and by that time no one was left to speak up.”

Not woried about getting banned, HH, just my idea of a joke (kind of like Price as the number one goalie).

_________________________

34. ed lopaz says:

Marc Staal is an excellent defenceman – I would take him in a freakin second – actually I like all the Staals, can’t go wrong when you have a Staal on your side. !

35. ed lopaz says:

you’re right. :-)

36. ed lopaz says:

fine. I accept the fantasy excuse.

37. G-Man says:

It’s a 5th of July dream. Lighten up, the puck doesn’t drop until October.

38. HabFanSince72 says:

Sather is screwing Marc Staal around the way he screwed Brandon Dubinsky last year:

it doesn’t seem like a good long-term strategy.

39. Puck Bard says:

Common Ed, it’s fantasy that we could move Hamr, Spacak and AK, just like Habs acquiring Kova is a joke.

40. Puck Bard says:

I agree. Staal is so much more a player than Kovalchuk. Leader, teamplayer… a franchise at $8 million a year. And a cup winner!

41. ed lopaz says:

unreal.

when some us were claiming that the Habs should be keeping both goalies, we were ridiculed here day after day.

“there’s no room – haven’t you ever heard of the Cap – that’s why we have to let go one of our goalies – its

all about the cap…….”

now, there’s a rumour out that Kovalchuk is available, and BOOM!

we can move mountains in a minute and bring on 10 million in salary.

42. c.robillard says:

I say no GM should sign this guy. Does he really think he’s worth more than Crosby or Ovechkin? Or even Eric Staal? I say we never see this clown in the NHL again. Go make your big bucks in the K where you have to deal with the mafia breathing down your neck.

See ya Kovalchuk, your selfish play won’t be missed by me.

43. punkster says:

Really Brian. The Juha Lind reference in your profile was the tipoff. Good one though :)

FREE TIMO!

44. kempie says:

OMG that is hilarious!!!!!! Welcome back T-bone.

45. Mr. Biter says:

You may be right but I believe Edmonton’s offer was for alonger contract. Also KOMO got way more from the leafs for his services. i would have liked to see AK stay but he declined the first offer and BG said “hasta La Vista” and got Cammy. if there would have been a way to have both that would have been great.

46. SeriousFan09 says:

I’d rather not give up our MVP player for a guy who doesn’t have a single solid NHL season under his belt and to this date, hasn’t proven he can get along with an older coach who’s prickly about defence-first hockey, Markov gets moved he’d better be dealt for better that is my position. I acknowledge Filatov looks like a very talented player, but we’ve got our own guys to work on right now and he’s got too many question marks about it.

He doesn’t add the impact MTL needs either on either line as well, which is a big body that can hit, which he doesn’t look like, at at.

47. Storm Man says:

Im glad to see you know what your talking about :)

48. Bob Barker says:

Throw in Umberger too.

I think Filatov can be a much better player than either Pouliot or AK46 and especially Sergei. Martin at his worst is not as bad with young players as Hitchcock. If Martin tries to play him on the fourth line, then he’s an idiot. The Habs have plenty of capable third and fourth-liners. He’d be better off playing in Hamilton or in the KHL for another year.

I think given top-six minutes he’d put up a lot of points with Gomez and Gionta or Pleks and Cammalleri. I don’t see how he can be considered a defensive liability. He’s +3 in his career. He’s not a can’t miss prospect, there is some risk he doesn’t fully realize his potential but I feel it’s worth it considering he’d instantly become the most offensively gifted player the Habs have had in years.

49. SeriousFan09 says:

Guimauve was just about as gracious to the Habs when he gave his post-trade interviews about how he suffered greatly in MTL and they didn’t treat him right, please, he was never exiled to Hamilton no matter how lazily he played on the ice. He never used his talent when got ice time either, unmotivated and self-entitlement are not qualities that endeared him with his teammates anymore than Sergei did I bet.

We are well rid of both of them.

50. likehoy says:

it’s more like a 4-4-1-1.

forland doesn’t tackle back and he doesn’t enter the defensive third ever.

schweinsteigger is playing just ahead of khadeira and behind ozil in a 5 man midfield, in a poking and prodding position that supports both flanks. he enters the defensive third.

another talented midfielder to take into consideration is wesley sneijder…who has been fantastic and outscored both aforementioned players.

51. Bob Barker says:

oh and he’s a lot better too.

52. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s fully capable of making the Jackets of course, especially with their roster. But to me, this is way too close to the Sergei scenario, a guy who was benched for not taking defence seriously (Familiar?), with a coach who’s not known for being the best with young players (familiar?) and didn’t take well to only playing 5 minutes a game (familiar?).

We already have two serious question marks with Andrei and Pouliot to start the season, I like to think they’ll get going again but trading Markov for a guy who’s maybe going to be an impact NHL player is just too risky. If Markov is going to be moved, it’s going to be for at least one established NHL player and a top prospect.

53. 100HABS says:

Hammer was a good signing. He helped develop some of our young d-corps and without him early last year, we would never have made the playoffs. He wasn’t at par at the end of the season.

In 2008-09, when he was out for a few weeks, you really saw a gaping hole.

I think players generate the revenue and (Gomez excepted) are generally not overpaid. Hammer was worth that contract so far. Next year, he might not be worth his pay, but we needed to make that offer to have him for the previous 3.

54. crabvader says:

Sure =D

55. Bob Barker says:

I wouldn’t put him in Sergei’s category. He didn’t demand a trade, he didn’t bad-mouth teammates. He’s also three years younger and hasn’t completely filled out yet. He will be at the Blue Jackets training camp, I think he’ll make the team.

56. SLONCOLD says:

in this case no. sergei was in the dog house here and a cancer with his talk about management and players…

the way i see it is he doesn’t and didn’t have a place on this team after the pouliot trade. he’s not a 3rd or 4th line guy so his talent was wasted here with 2 minutes of ice time a game.

57. SLONCOLD says:

not the habs because pouliot was a 4th overall pick and is big and has potential…….

58. SeriousFan09 says:

Philosophical Question for the Day:

If a mentally soft player with an attitude as bad as Sergei’s and the work ethic of Kovalev makes an impact on a bottom-dweller team, should anyone care?

59. ed lopaz says:

here’s the deal with Boogard – there are a ton of fans in New York who still go to the games to see their

“goon”. even if he didn’t fight often last year, having a guy like Boogard sells tickets in New York.

also, there’s this “never back down” NY attitude, and when a team comes to play in NY, Sather has to be sure

that the fans’ pride won’t be hurt.

I hear what you’re saying – but Sather knows his market; they’ve done the research.

60. Bob Barker says:

Hopefully a first-round pick would come our way as well. From the interviews I’ve read I don’t believe he’s as much of a flight risk he’s being portrayed as. I’d say he has close to the goal-scoring potential of Tavares but is a much better skater.

If Markov is going to be traded, the sooner the better, because the longer the Habs wait the lower the return will be.

61. Bugs says:

They can have him listed 3rd reservist goaltender for all I care, they’re PLAYING HIM midfield.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

62. SeriousFan09 says:

So his being very talented, but non-physical and not taking playing 5 minutes a game well with a coach he can’t get along with makes him different from Sergei how? He’s not going to get along any better with JM than SK did I bet.

63. crabvader says:

Still listed as FW on Uruguay’s national roster.

64. G-Man says:

Decent contract for Lats and Minnie. If he outscores AK again, who will be looking foolish…again?

65. PeterStone says:

5M per for 2 years to Kovalev.

My favorite is some people find it amusing that Sather would pay a Tough Guy, 1.6M$ per season .. especially considering that Boogard only fought 9 times last season .. what kind of lousy GM would give a fighter that kind of money … especially one who never fights …

stand. pat.

67. Bob Barker says:

He was playing 5 minutes per game. Not exactly the best way to develop a young player. I believe he had permission from Columbus to play the remainder of the year in the KHL as well.

68. Bugs says:

No worries. Honest misinterpretation.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

69. PeterStone says:

that too ….i just find it amusing that we call a guy who turned down 100M$ .. greedy

We should try and not use the words balls, speedo, stretch and uncover in the same thread.

71. Bugs says:

Yet, what position is he playing in this World Cup?

Forlan has been the best midfielder in this World Cup.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

72. SeriousFan09 says:

Filatov has yet to prove anything in the NHL at this point and he’s what I would call a serious flight risk to the KHL as it stands now, there’s still no word whether or not he’ll play for CLB next season. He may become a star but if Markov is on the trading block, the Habs can do a lot better than acquiring a guy who might never pull on the jersey for more than a season before going back to the KHL.

73. Bob Barker says:

I don’t think that deal would go down. I know if I were a GM I’d take Nash over Markov any day of the week, and I’m a big fan of Markov.

74. HabFanSince72 says:

Filatov went scampering back to Russia because he was benched a couple of times. it isn’t even sure he’s moving back to North America this summer.

Just what we need.

75. Bugs says:

Oh you meant THAT Escobar was involved in the drug trade and not Pablo Escobar? I get it. Andreas Escobar Saldariga (or whatever). Sorry.

He didn’t “get into a fight” though; an ex-bodyguard of Pablo’s just straight up pumped 12 bullets in’m. Went to jail for it too. Somethin about gambling losses. All business. Pure assassination.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

76. Gormdog says:

I understand what you are saying but I really don’t think that’s the case with Pooley or Andrei K… Andrei hasn’t played for another NHL club and Pouliot always had effort issues!

But as far as FA’a and such are concerned, it really troubles me that the pride of playing for the best (yes I love being a delusional fan caught in the 60’s even though i was only born in ’84) plays second fiddle to making money in a no-pressure-sun-belting-“hockey market”.

77. crabvader says:

Daniel Briere left an awful taste in a lot of people’s mouths.

78. RetroMikey says:

It’s the owners and management of sports teams that are really at fault.

Money is the root of all evil.

Throwing all that green dough to players.

If I were a player and Boivin offered me a hunk fo cash, I’d take it as well.

The joy of being a pro athlete.

Sad but true.

I’m starting to dislike pro sports and where it’s headed.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

79. mike g says:

While I may be young at the age of 22, I understand one thing..

The current pressure of playing in MTL is galaxies away from what it used to be. Today, the Montreal Canadiens don’t only have pressure to win like they used to. Today, every single member of that team has pressure to win, answer to the large media scrum correctly, be a hero to this city, live up to million dollars worth of contracts even though it’s impossible, speak french or get criticized by 65% of the population, and every MTL goaltender must duplicate Patrick Roy’s performances or else he will never last.

Argue with me all you want, but that is the truth. Not all players want to play with unfair pressure and expectations like that. We haven’t seen one goaltender since Roy have 3 years or more of solid hockey here. We haven’t had one french offensive superstar since Lafleur. We are starving for these types of player so much, that everyone who comes here is expected to become it. This pressure is put on by the majority of the “fans”, who know their hockey just about as well as I know cricket. Sadly, they represent the majority of the population.

The Habs have been and always will be my favorite team. I grew up wanting to play for them, and only them. But now as I’m older, I realize why so many want nothing to do with us. In MTL you are one of 2 things; a hero or a zero. There’s no middle ground.

It’s sad but true. For every smart/knowledgeable fan in MTL, there are 5 dummies. Those 5 dummies are the ones who clog up the phone lines every night and spew out garbage all across the talkshows.

80. Gormdog says:

So sad, so true.

But to me, even if the answer is greed, i can’t understand why once players ARE here (andrei/sergei/poolio etc.), with no choice but to play in the pressure cooker, they still seem like they’re not trying?

I know it’s one of the age old questions of sports psychology, but i don’t think it has to do with being in Montreal. It just bothers me that the orginization keeps having to deal with headcases year in year out… It would be one thing to have a kovalchuck type player and have to deal with his primadonna antics, but these players have not nearly produced enough to warrant such laid back attitudes.

Hey Andrei K! Try hard this year and make lots of money! Everyone’s a winner!

81. SLONCOLD says:

wow… wahhhh too much pressure. NHL players should take a look at the NFL where life stops for a football game on sunday and just about every city is a pressure cooker and contracts aren’t guaranteed.

82. dh says:

Said this before but I’m not so sure that it’s the pressure here as much as the taxes here.  Has anyone actually compared the take home pay for a player earning, say 2 million here to a player earning the same in FLA?

I hear the antichambre guys always talking about the media pressure here but to at least some extent it seems like pats on their own backs.  I’m not saying that the media here isn’t tougher or the fan base isn’t more vocal but for the kind of money these guys make, you’d think they’d suck it up.

83. crabvader says:

“Argue with me all you want, but that is the truth.”

Who’s arguing? I still think players are sissies who value money more than tradition or pride.

Is everyone so weak-willed that they let a bunch of nobodies dictate the way they play? Sure, the media is annoying, but it’s also the same way in Toronto and most recently, Vancouver and Calgary.

You’re being paid millions to do a job; do it.

That’s a load of bull the whole “hero or zero” thing. You are a hero if you play your heart out for this city, which is what EVERY player should be doing. You don’t have to be Ovechkin. Look at Tom Pyatt, I’ve seen some people ask why people like him on here because he has very low scoring numbers for Montreal.

The answer is simple, he gives it his all every shift and opportunity he gets.

Playing hockey at the NHL level is a privilege. Playing in front of the fans, an honor.

I’m sick and tired of excuses being made for players. They make more money most of us will ever make in 2 lifetimes and they still act like princesses. That’s unacceptable.

84. huge_polar_bear says:

Mike that was a well reasoned and eloquent post and I applaud you for voicing the view point.  I have posted less often recently as I find that HIO is slowly being turned into a forum for the 5 dummies that you mention in your post.  But it is refreshing to still find awesome posts on this site, it is why I still come here.

Also to add to the point I think that the expansion of the NHL players a role as well.  If we where professional players and could chose to play in MTL with the pressure vs Florida with the lower taxes, golf courses and you can go unnoticed in public?  Many will choose the money and the anonymity.  Why would they want to sit in front of the TV cameras and answer why they are in a scoring slump vs being on page 5 of the sports page…

85. SLONCOLD says:

If i were a UFA, i would sign the biggest contract out there; i wouldn’t care about the market… tradition means very little to most players, they’ll talk about it with the press to make people happy but who cares what some dude did 20-30 years ago…

86. mike g says:

Thanks alot big bear…

I’ll put you in the non-dummies category, lol.

87. crabvader says:

People who aren’t sissies?

88. crabvader says:

Does that mean you put people who don’t agree with you in the dummies category?

89. The Teacher says:

Danny is a P.O.S.

90. SLONCOLD says:

with the assumption you have a job, do you care about you’re companies history and pride yourself on it’s beginnings? most of us would bolt to another company if the dollars made sense i don’t see why it should be different for hockey players.

91. crabvader says:

Verrrrrrrrrry bad.

I do care about the reputation of the company I work for.

Not the best analogy…

92. huge_polar_bear says:

I think for all of us it boils down to: Feel free to disagree with the viewpoint and present arguments to support your view, but too much then reaches the point of degeneration into name calling etc.  It is actually good to have different points of view.  I think we are all passionate and some people just need to realize that it is ok for someone not to share the same opinion on the way the Habs are managed / how they play / what players are our favorites…etc.

I am almost expecting the next poster to disagree with this post as well …

93. SLONCOLD says:

well, i’m sure you would turn down a 20% increase then.

94. mike g says:

You are clearly arguing with me lol….

Players arent sissies. They’re smartly managed by their agents and advisors. The tradition you speak of no longer exists.

Stop believing all the players when they come here and say, “Oh, it’s awsome to play in an organization with such tradition and history”. F-U to those guys, they have no idea what the tradition was. That’s right, WAS. There’s no current tradition in Montreal, no current NHL player is old enough to remember the 70’s and the early 1900’s and how dominant the Habs once were. It’s over 25 years that the Habs haven’t been a constant powerhouse for a long period of time. You’d have to be 35 years old or more to remember any dynasty we ever had.

It’s the same when players go to the Leafs now. They say the same crap about going to a team with so much history. Well, F-U to them too, because they Leafs history to anyone else except a 55 year old is all about deception and heartbreakers.

It’s all about PR and pleasing the “fans”. People always say, “they get paid millions to do their job; do it”. That’s completely wrong. If your boss decided one day to pay you 10 mill per year to do the exact same thing you were doing now, would you boost your production? Probably not, because he gavce you that raise based on past accomplishments.

Tom Pyatt is loved in this city by the minority. Those who know hockey appreciate him, those who don’t would trade him for Eric Belanger or Stefane Veilleux. That’s the truth.

Playing hockey at the NHL level is a privilege, but not like before. Back in the days you played in the NHL and faught for your city. Right now, it’s about business. Like it or not, that’s the way it is.

And finally, don’t hate the player, hate the game. The game is what is sick, not the players. The game (including owners, sponsorships, etc..) is what pays the players those millions. Look at Kovalchuk, he says he wants a big/crazy deal and he’s gonna get it. Someone’s gonna pull down their pants and say here, it’s all yours. Don’t blame Kovy for that, he kows he’ll get what he wants so he’d be an idiot for not asking for it.

95. crabvader says:

I have a simplistic view on things; if I can afford college for my children, have ONE nice TV, ONE nice car, ONE nice house, I’m happy.

Why do you need to triple your assets? It’s useless.

96. mike g says:

No, not at all..

We can have different viewpoints about a vast deal of things in hockey. If everyone thaught the same,  the sport would be boring like a math textbook filled with formulas.

I’ve debated with you before, and you seem to know your stuff pretty well. If I had to rate you, I’d put you in the top 15 posters on this site based on hockey knowledge.

97. TripleX says:

Montreal has not cornered the market on “bad” fans.  What we have in Montreal are PASSIONATE fans who live and die vicariously through the team.  Their very sense of self worth is determined by the rise and fall of the Montreal Canadiens.  I do agree there is no middle ground, the fans are either on a delirious high or in the throws of depression.

But it is hardly unique to Montreal.  Look at what happened when the Brazilian soccer team returned home.  Armed guards were required for the players.  Passionate fans equals high emotions.

Is it good or bad?  It is Montreal and what makes the franchise special.  Much rather have the passion of Montreal than the apathy of sunbelt fans.

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

98. crabvader says:

So, because you clearly have an insanely cynical outlook on today’s NHL (which is not necessarily the way everyone else sees things) it means you’re spot on the money?

Hmmm, alright then.

A minority likes Tom Pyatt, I wasn’t aware you knew everyone in Montreal. You’re a good person to know, if that’s the case!

And you say players don’t understand tradition or what happened “over 25 years” ago?

That’s incredibly naive of you. I wasn’t alive during the 70’s but I know DAMN well about it and feel pride for my team when I hear about it.

You know, today’s players have parents. You did know that right? People who relay information about the past?

Christ, the way you put things, Maurice Richard and Le Gros Bill would be nobodies in this city. That’s CLEARLY not the case.

A lot of people who put on the Habs jersey can easily tell themselves “Wow, I’m wearing a jersey that Richard, Lafleur, Shutt, Geoffrion, Beliveau, Dryden, Roy, etc. also wore!”

Don’t tell me guys just wear the sweater and say, heyyyyyyy payday!

Sure, a lot of players are that way and I have no respect for those ones. You think guys like Gionta or Cammalleri don’t value the history that comes with wearing the sweater?

Cammalleri goes as far as to say everybody knows Canada’s team is the Montreal Canadiens when the heritage minister stated he thought it was the Canucks. Did he HAVE to do that? No. He could’ve kept his mouth shut like hundreds of other players but he didn’t.

He doesn’t need to hype himself that way either cause we all know what he can do.

My comments were more directed towards guys like Ribeiro, Latendresse, etc. Guys who took this team for granted and played like ass.

Guys like Briere who come from here and who turn down THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY to play somewhere else because they can’t take a couple of jackasses asking them questions on tv.

Markov can’t even speak English! He didn’t have to stay here and he did!

Now, excuse me if I’m coming off as a tad bit aggressive but you act like you speak for everyone and that everyone should be as cynical as you or they are just not being realists.

Hell, my little brother who is born in the 90’s and his friends know all about Habs tradition. Why would you say that that kind of knowledge is forgotten? You think people nowadays grow up with their heads in the ground?

Come on, give humanity some kind of credit…

99. crabvader says:

It’s ok, I rate myself top 15 dummies. :P

100. Gormdog says:

So… uh… How about those headcases eh? Anyone? :P

101. ZepFan2 says:

“Their very sense of self worth is determined by the rise and fall of the
    Montreal Canadiens.”

Although I agree. I wonder if it would be a different story if we had NFL, NBA, and MLB teams here that were successful.

I’d just accept the Nordiques back. They’d take alot of heat away from the Habs.

————————————————————————

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

102. SLONCOLD says:

fair enough :-) although multiple nice cars wouldn’t so hard to live with

103. mike g says:

I never said nobody appreciates the Habs…

The problem is the majority don’t appreciate them the way they should. Few of us know and understand the whole history of the Habs properly. That explains why some people still don’t understand how hard it is to build a championship team. They just think, “Hey, were the Habs why can’t we get the best players in the world and win the Cup every year like we used to.”

It’s so complicated, yet alot of us don’t uderstand how complex the NHL and hockey in general is. The history of this franchise is rich in so many ways. The Lafleurs and Richards will always be legends, but few of us saw them play. Few of us saw them score 5 goals in a game. And few of us can immagine what the feeling and buzz was in this city at that time. We can only repeat what we think it was.

I’ve read numerous books and watched a ton of film on the past Habs, and I’ve decided to appreciate it for what it WAS. Like it or not, it will never be like that again. Dynasties don’t exist anymore, it’s simply impossible for many reasons to have them. The Habs will never dominate teams for decades the way they did. After Beliveau, which player will take his seats behind the bench for every single game? I don’t know, but I’ll bet you whoever it is, they’ll never have the same legacy as he did.

Very few NHL players know the complete history and understand what the Habs are/were.

And btw, it’s people like me and you in this world that caused that. Were the one’s who go/went to the Bell Center and pay 5$ for a f’kin hot dog. Were the dummies who pay 12$ for f’kin draft beer. Where are we, in Rome? Seriously, when we stop doing that, the owners won’t have the hundreds of Millions to throw at these players. Maybe then the players will play to win, instead of making the NHL for a big payday.

I love the sport of hockey like nothing else. But I know that the sport itself is sick, like all major sports in this world.

104. mike g says:

In every sport, there is good passion and bad passion….

And in MTL, good passion became to a certain degree, bad passion. We do live and die with the results of our favorite team, but recetly not in a fair manner.

Back in the days, winning was expected and delivered because it could be. Our teams were stacked with stars and Cups were being won left and right. But in the past few decades, witht he emergence of more teams, money, etc….it is impossible to repeat that.

But, some fans still think it’s possible and put unfair expectations on the players and team. Is it normal that everyone hates Gainey? The friggin guy has made the playoffs 5 out of 6 years, while rebuilding the team. Forget about Cups for a second because only one team wins every year, but isn’t that a good track record?

I live with every game they play. But if they lose a game, it’s not the end of the world. Sure I’ll be mad, but when it’s all said and done, maybe they weren’t good enough? When we lost to the Flyers, I wasn’t mad. I knew we didn’t have the team to compete with them. But yet, some fans were getting mad and bashing players of the Habs left and right for not winning. That’s unfair pressure, and this team has been filled with it since the 90’s.

In the end, you have to be an honest fan. Maybe it’s because I played the game at a high level that I think like this. If you ask me what AK is worth, I say he’s worth a Happy Meal at McDs. I’m being honest, even though he plays for my team. He has no heart, and doesn’t wear the jersey the way some do. Scott Gomez, I like him. He busts himself every night and brings many things to the table for this team. One of our hardest working players, like Pyatt, but because Scott makes 7 mill, most people want to trade him. That’s unfair.

105. Bob Barker says:

They have 4.7 million in cap space before Kovalchuk. Parise is already making 3.125 against the cap so even if he signs a similar contract to Kovalchuk’s the incremental amount would be 5.375. I think Parise would sign for longer term and his cap hit would be lower. Arnott is UFA next year, Elias will be moved. Rolston is making 5 million and could potentially be moved as well.

106. andrewberkshire says:

NJ is 3 million under the cap BEFORE Kovalchuk is signed. Meaning they need to clear out at least 5.5 million before the season if he signed for the purported 8.5 cap hit. With Parise being RFA, there’s no way he accepts less than Kovalchuk who’s by FAR an inferior player. So that’s either another 8.5 million that needs to be moved out in players totaling 14 million in salary moved out in under a year, or they can move Parise for a massive package. It would be nearly impossible for NJ to move out that kind of salary.

This signing of Kovalchuk will destroy that franchise.

107. G-Man says:

NJ just signed Clarkson for 3 seasons. It’s July 5th, though, so we can dream…

108. solomio says:

Kovalchuk is waiting for Montreal to offer. He wants to play here, the greatest hockey city in the world!

109. Habsforlife 1959 says:

source?

110. mike g says:

Very surprised Kovy decided on NJ…

I might get bashed for this, but I would have taken that same offer from the Islanders.

Yeah they’ve sucked for a long time. But they’ve got a very bright future, much more than the Devils. In 2-3 years, guys like Bailey, Okposo, Tavares, Nino Niederreiter, and potentially Matt Moulson will all be very good players.

In NJ, in 2-3 years that team will be filled with holes. No more Brodeur, Elias, Rolston, Langenbrunner, or Arnott. It will be a team with Zajac, Parise, and now Kovy.

Not saying that’s bad, but I think the youth talent in New York is far greater than what it is in NJ.

111. SeriousFan09 says:

Islanders are still handcuffed with 10 million in Yashin buyout and Dipietro debacle until 2015 and Dipietro doesn’t come off their books possibly until 2021 or so. That team has a sixth of it’s salary cap consumed by toxic assets. That and their owner is a lunatic for approving those deals in the first place.

112. deuce6 says:

Litle off topic, but I just watched the TSN video of top 10 hardest hitters of all time and just noticed that Larry Robinson never made the cut..Huh?

Bryan Marchment was, what, 6th or 7th? Of all time? Really? I just find they left out a lot of players throughout the history of the game…With the exception of Potvin, the list is really of a more recent history then the entire history…

IDK, just ranting because I consider the Big Bird one of the biggest hitters of his time and of all time..That hit on Dornhoefer looked like it hurt..He broke the ficken boards..lol

On Peluso..

Compilation..

113. kempie says:

Brian Burke is so easy to dislike with his truculence & all. When he has his GM hat on he is arguably a borderline moron. But it’s impossible to read that story and not see him as an outstanding human being who has suffered perhaps the greatest loss imaginable. This story is one of the saddest to be told in a long time and I send Mr. Burke and his family nothing but the best of my thoughts and my absolute support. Stuff like this makes hockey seem so trivial. I hope everyone involved can find peace and the strength to move forward.

114. SeriousFan09 says:

Why is it the Canadiens with all their money, their official website has poorer information on all their current prospects than Habs Prospects? Seriously, he’s got headshots of every player and up to date season-per-season stats.

Canadiens should pay him to run that part of their site.

115. mike g says:

Still, NJ won’t win a Cup with their current aging roster…

And if you’ve ever been to their games, it’s sad. That franchise is in big trouble. They get 5000-8000 people per game, and they have a winning record for what 10 straight years now, or more? That’s pathetic, especially that they have a new arena along with that winning team.

Heck, they didn’t even sell-out game 7 of the Cup Finals when they played the Ducks! When Marty is gone, and the other oldies on that team leave or retire, they’ll have to ruebuild.

If they get 5000-8000 now with legends and winning teams, how many people will they get then?

116. ed lopaz says:

maybe it is his belief that over the next 2-3 years NJ can win a cup.

they seem to get about 100 points a year.

then they struggle to get through the playoffs.

maybe they can figure out how to chnage that pattern, and play like the 100 point regular season team, in the playoffs as well??

there is 0 chance the Islanders are winning the cup in the next 2-3 years – that’s for sure.

117. deuce6 says:

If I’m not mistaken, all or the majority of the NHL teams’ websites are driven by NHL.com, which, I do believe, is an American based site…

118. SeriousFan09 says:

They won’t, but they could retool if Brodeur calls it off in the next two years much easier than NYI will if they’re handcuffed on the cap until 2020, Kovalchuk at 7 years gives them the rest of his prime years and a bit of a chance to get going.

Islanders are not getting anywhere with no money and with a cap anchor around their necks.

119. TommyB says:

You kind of answered your own question there, I think.  When you said “TSN” and “a more recent history….”.   I think the majority of people in the media today are younger guys who do not go back much further than, say,  the 90’s or maybe back as far as the 80’s.  But that is about it.  Except of course the guys at the Gazette (oops!).

Just look at the people who post here on HIO.  I think the majority of them don’t go back much further either.  So when someone of a more younger generation makes a statement, or a list, it is almost impossible for them to go back past what they personally remember.  And TSN definitely caters to the younger crowd…and to the Toronto crowd, specifically.

120. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I, too, am surprised by Kovalchuk’s decision.  Presumably he didn’t sign with Atlanta because he wants a Cup, which is fair enough (although, it is hard not to pine for the days when loyalty to the franchise meant more…Ray Bourque winning with the Avs always left a bad taste in my mouth.  But that argument falls into the same category as, ‘wouldn’t it be great if there were only 15 teams in the League…what’s the point of wishing?).  Anyway, presumably he wants a Cup, so I can see not signing with the Thrasers, and perhaps not the  Isles, as their young talent, although loaded with potential, is a bit of  a risk, especially in a long-term deal.  So why not sign with LA?

The Devils are a great team, but clearly the experiment didn’t work out last year, and as many have mentioned, some of their cornerstones are getting older awfully fast.  LA has a bevy of young talent, especially D-men, where it seems like more and more offence is being generated from.   Perhaps he sees something I don’t (dollar signs?).  Anyway, surprising move.  Would’ve preferred to have him in the Western conference myself….

121. Exit716 says:

Anyone can get to the cup final out of the East.

122. TommyB says:

Hey, jobs are open at the Habs website!  They’re looking for applicants.

123. deuce6 says:

Ummm..Denis Potvin was #4..

124. ed lopaz says:

although I agree with you – and i respect the man – not many on this site have much compassion for Brian Burke.

he’s portrayed as an evil lawyer, know it all, who has never done anything to deserve anyone’s respect.

I try to balance things out a bit on HIO.

I try to remind people that he captained his college hockey team (Providence, I believe);

he played AHL hockey (Pro); graduated Harvard Law School, and has GM’d an NHL Stanley Cup winner.

but, he’s the GM of the leafs – which is a tough sell here.

Having 3 kids of my own, my heart was broken for him as well.

125. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Can’t say I ever liked Burke, even before he came to the Leafs…just not my style.  But I would never wish anything like what happened to him on anyone.  A real tragedy, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for how he handled everything.  He seems like an intensely loyal father, and that is a commendable trait.

126. ed lopaz says:

anyone with a hot goalie!!

127. HabFanSince72 says:

Kovalchuk was not a bust with the Devils, despite what everyone here says.

Obvisouly he wasn’t a bust since Lamoriello signed him to a big contract.

And I don’t see why people are surprised he chose NJ. It is one of the better organizations in the league.

They have few fans it’s true, but maybe if they play a more attacking style they’ll get more fans. Their D sure looks weak, and Marty is totally washed up. They might not have a choice but to play attacking hockey.

What I don’t understand is why sign Arnott if you were planning to get Kovy. Now they have to shed salary.

128. HabFanSince72 says:

Atlanta or New Jersey? The worst run organization in the league or one of the 2 or 3 best? Tough choice.

129. TommyB says:

You could say he wants a Cup.  That’s a fair statement.  Every player should want the Cup.  But I think Kovalchuk’s decision to get out of Atlanta has more to do with him wanting to play in a hockey environment.  One where there are fans in the stands every night, and those fans are wearing ballcaps with hockey logos instead of Dale Earnhardt hats.  Any team in the Atlantic, or Northeast Division is going to bring that atmosphere.

130. TommyB says:

Then you just blew my theory all to hell………but, it is TSN, right?

131. Chuck says:

And if you’ve ever seen video of games from the early 70’s back through the 60’s, etc., you’d notice that hugg, thundering bodychecks simply weren’t part of the game. Back then the idea was to separate your man from the puck. The was no such thing as a three-stride, three-steamboat hit after your man had passed the puck.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

132. ed lopaz says:

I don’t get it. On the one hand NJ gets about 100 points every year. Now they have added who most regard as one of the top players in the world, and they can’t win a cup. Why? because Brodeur is too old. Then how does he get them 100 points year in and year out. Maybe they will play Brodeur a little less this coming year, and he’ll be fresher for the playoffs. If he can win throughout the 82 game schedule, he is still a world class goalie. If he was as bad as you guys say, then NJ would not have the record they have – including last year.

Brodeur won 45 games plast year, and had 9 shutouts. 2.24 GAA

133. Kamal Panesar says:

Great points!

From what I heard, L.A. was nowhere near the $$ ballpark that Kovalchuk was looking for.  I believe that they didn’t want to go higher than $6 or 7 Mil a season, and Kovalchuk clearly thought he was worth more.

Not sure why he chose the Devils either and the only thing I can think is that Lou Lamoriello did a hell of a sell job in telling him how the team would be built around him, which is undoubtedly will be.

The head scratcher for me is that the Devils are a trapping team and that is not a style the lends to an offensive dynamo like Kovalchuk.  Who knows, maybe they plan on opening things up….I somehow doubt it, but you never know!

Follow Kamal on HabsAddict.com, Facebook and Twitter

134. krob1000 says:

Andy Strickland says Halak will not file for arbitration today by 5:00 pm which is the deadline.

135. ed lopaz says:

people here were arguing that Kovalchuk was NJ’s best player in the playoffs. were they not?

didn’t they just sign 2  d-men as free agents? Tallinder and Volchenkov.

136. TommyB says:

Wait….I don’t know if anyone was saying he was a ‘bust”.  I wouldn’t call him a bust, but I watched the Devils in the playoffs and I was not impressed at all with Kovalchuk.  He was trying to do it all by himself on many occasions, and that is definitely not New Jersey Devils hockey.  Now, obviously you can’t decide that a player is a bust based on such a short time, on a new team and in a new hockey environment.  But I was not impressed, and I wasn’t alone.  It was the common consensus among the people I watched those playoffs with.

I’ve said it over and over…you cannot argue with this guy’s skill set.  If I was the guy responsible for putting an NHL team together, I would find it hard to pass over this guy as well.  But  I’m not in that position.  I have the luxury of being just a fan, and I am accountable to nobody.

137. mike g says:

Kovalchuk wasn’t a bust, you’re correct…

He played well, on a team where nobody seemed to care anymore. That’s one thing that can surprise me about this signing. Of course, were not in the room so maybe things weren’t as bad as they say, and they just got beat by a Philly powerhouse.

They’ve never, ever had fans though. It’s not their style of play, it’s just not in the NJ people to go watch the games. The Minnesota Wild played that style for the past 10 years, and they sellout every game. NJ just isn’t a hockey market, and I’m curious to see how dead that arena will be once their lover Marty retires.

Doc Emeric and Chico Resh will go nuts. They salivate over everything Marty.

138. TommyB says:

Yeah, right.  A one-line post?  Who are you, and what did you do with krob1000.

139. TripleX says:

So I guess Price has about two hours to file for arbitration as well.

What is going on with his contract?

140. SLONCOLD says:

i wonder what is taking so much time with carey price’s contract….. there are 2 scenarios.

- habs sign him to a one year deal, because why would price want to sign a long term deal at 2 million.

- give him the 3.25 million that most starters get in nhl and hope he progresses over the next few years thus saving you money in the long run.

141. kempie says:

I get the feeling that things may start to pick up a bit now with the impending arbitration deadline and the possible Kovy deal.

142. mike g says:

Marty Brodeur isn’t the same Marty he was over the past decade…

When that team was stacked with talent in the mid 90’s until about 3-4 years ago, he was at his best. He and the franchise were all at their best at the same time. He was exceptional.

Now, the team isn’t the same and can’t seem to win one playoff round since they lost Ken D., Stevens, and Niedermayer. Marty’s play has declined, but as you said he still is a very good goaltender. Problems is with the team and defense he has infront of him, the only way they’d have a shot to win would be if Marty would go back in time and find his game from the early 2000’s.

It was hard enough for them to win back then, when everyone was in their prime. Now, his team is full of holes and he’s on the wrong side of 35.

143. SLONCOLD says:

price can’t file for arbitration beacuse he doesn’t have 4 years of nhl experience.

144. TripleX says:

I agree, if Kovy signs with the Devils then they have to move contracts.

TSN is saying the Wings are working hard to get Modano.  Why?  Where does he fit in to their roster and are they trying to be the oldest team in the league?

145. FormalWare says:

What a beautiful article on Burke, his family, and his late son Brendan! Moving and uplifting!

146. TripleX says:

Yes, I believe that is right.  I forgot that Halak is a different class of RFA.  Still wonder what is taking so long with Price though.

147. TommyB says:

“…on a team where nobody seemed to care anymore.”  You might have something there.  There were reports that captain Langenbrunner would be dealt at the deadline.  It didn’t happen, but there surely was something to that.  It sure looked like Langenbrunner was not a happy camper, but maybe that changes with the new coach?  The Devils have come to the point where they have to start looking at life without Martin Brodeur.  Could there be a shift in traditional Devils hockey thinking?  Are they going to go rogue and become a firewagon team?

148. kempie says:

Wings huh? That is a bit of a head scratcher. I wonder how much Modano wants. I’m also starting to wonder if maybe the Price people are waiting for the Halak people to sign and vice versa.

149. mike g says:

I think Langenbrunner and his 2.8 mill contract can be dealt.

He’s got one year left on his deal, UFA after this season. Then, slap the C on Parise’s jersey.

150. TripleX says:

I never thought of that one…LOL

What if Price signs a more lucrative contract than Halak?  What a PR disaster for the Habs.

151. SLONCOLD says:

based on salaries and games played i don’t think halak will get more than 3.75M per season. i know some people have been talking about 4-5m a year but if i were an nhl team i would want more of a track record before breaking the bank on a young goalie.

152. SLONCOLD says:

not really. PG said the team believes price has more upside. Habs put themselves in a tricky situation with price. When you publicy say we think you’re better or goign to be better and you’re our guy, you’re kind operating with is agent on his terms.

153. TripleX says:

YES YES YES YES YES……..WAY TO GO GEOFF MOLSON

154. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

That’s great news! (fingers crossed)

155. Kamal Panesar says:

Agreed.  I think now that Kovalchuk is off of the market, some of the teams that lost out on him might go fishing for lesser players like Frolov.

Now we get to see how much money players will make on the secondary market.  I think things are about to start getting interesting.

Follow Kamal on HabsAddict.com, Facebook and Twitter

156. mike g says:

LOL..

Frolov….I’ve never seen such a weird player in my life. Even Kovalev had more consistency than him. If Kovy was having a bad game, he’d still find a way to deke someone of of their pants in our zone. Sure, they’d score right after on a giveaway, but atleast the deke was there for us to “AWE”..

This Frolov dude though is very good, then a ghost for 3 weeks, then scores 6 goals in a week, then plays on the 3rd line, etc….

He’s gonna get the money though, because there’s nobody else.

157. dudurules says:

I’ll take a stab…………………………. Jersey?

158. Bryan says:

TheFourthPeriod

Interesting news from Habs
    camp… MTL president Pierre Boivin will turn over his duties to Geoff
    Molson on June 30, 2011

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

159. Kamal Panesar says:

Follow Kamal on HabsAddict.com, Facebook and Twitter

160. mike g says:

Any news on how the kids are doing in Brossard today?

I mean, how much can we possibly talk about Kovalchuk RE-signing. It’s not like he changed teams or anything, and were probably discussing it more than the 46 Devils fans in NJ.

161. Drive_For_25 says:

3.25 mil?????  What has warrented that type of money??  Who cares what other “starters” get?  I’m a Price supporter too but I don’t think the deserves anything over 1.5 mil for one year.  Nittymaki is only making 2 mil and he’s gonna be the Sharks starter.  3.25 is ridiculous.

162. sidhu says:

A $60m, 7 year contract yields a $8.57m cap hit.  Jersey’s current cap hit is 55.892.  Adding Kovy’s contract, that results in a 64.462 cap hit.  The cap is 59.4, which means they are 5m over.  I’d love to be able to poach some players from their lineup, but our cap situation is tight, too.  If we could trade/buy-out Hammer, we’d free up a good 3m-5m.

163. SeriousFan09 says:

Special note to the Cranks about the Management:

The Dark Lord Sauron will abdicate his throne in a year.

Seriously though, Pierre Boivin is going to step down as President, Geoff Molson’s taking over the job in a year.

164. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

A very good article – I might despise him since he’s the Leafs GM, but I will always have a soft spot for him. What a tragic story – no father deserves this. God bless Burke’s family.

165. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Very exciting news!

166. SeriousFan09 says:

Good thing he stepped in made sure Boivin wouldn’t be able to make the organization any more money, he was a pretty callous Team President in that way. People make way too much noise about Boivin.

167. TripleX says:

Is Boivin retiring or moving on?  Was there a difference in opinion on how the franchise was being run?  Is it simply that Geoff Molson planned to take control all along?

Whatever the reason I am optimistic about the future more than I have been in some time.

168. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Haha, job opportunities from the Montreal Canadiens. C’mon, hand in your resumes everybody!

169. alfieturcotte says:

Agreed.  Put it this way, whatever Halak is awarded, Price should get half and consider himself lucky.

170. SLONCOLD says:

how come i have a feeling gainey will sneak his way into that job somehow lol

171. SlovakHab says:

Friedman (HNIC) Tweets: If Islanders do not sign Kovalchuk, biggest question I have is: How are they going to get to cap floor?

Oh maan, trade for Hamrlik, trade for Souray, trade for Thomas…. There are so many options out there..

172. TripleX says:

Capgeek has them around 36 million with 20 players already signed!

Gomez?  Please!  Take Gomez!

Gomez would take them perfectly to the cap floor.

173. sidhu says:

Here it is, PG — trade Pacioretty and OB (whom I like, but JM seems to disfavor) to NJ for David Clarkson, Bryce Salvador, and prospect Eric Gelinas (6′ 4″ D from the Q).  We get tougher with these players, Jersey sheds salary over 5m in salary, it’s a win win.  Step 2 is to trade or buy-out Hammer.

174. sidhu says:

What a great problem to have!

175. likehoy says:

not down with this deal…i rather hold out on pacioretty than take the 3million/yr clarkson contract, and salvador’s 3million/yr contract

176. SlovakHab says:

ok…. so who is our #1A center and who carries the puck into the zone on the PP?

177. likehoy says:

ben maxwell! brock trotter! david desharnais! lars eller!

yea not that great…

178. dudurules says:

so they get old n crappy at the same time..

179. TripleX says:

We have Pleks and Ellar coming up.  The point is to get rid of that albatross of a contract.  Saku put up similar points to Gomez.

50 point centermen are not hard to find.

180. SlovakHab says:

I think that one of the possible scenarios would have Lars Eller stepping up to the #2 center spot after a couple years of NHL seasoning. Then we will able to trade Scott Gomez.

He will be an excellent addition to a team struggling to reach the cap floor, with a salary lower than his cap hit.

Plus, he is a quality player.

181. HabFanSince72 says:

And that includes Di Pietro and Yashin?

182. avatar_58 says:

Cap space is pointless without someone to sign. Ergo just keep Gomez.

183. nightmare_49 says:

TommyB – Mike ‘The Hitman’ Boone will not like that shot about age.

184. Dintrox says:

I’m sure Sather has Snow on speed dial trying to dump Redden.

December 4, 2009 – Elmer Lach’s jersey took its rightful place with the Rocket’s in the rafters.

185. TripleX says:

Might be getting even tougher to win in the Eastern Conference.

From the Twitter account of James Mirtle:

If Kovalchuk’s deciding today, have to believe it’s likely the Devils or Islanders. No source on this, but I’d lean toward New Jersey.

186. SeriousFan09 says:

Except Brodeur is not aging backwards  they still don’t have a guy on the level of Niedermayer, Stevens or Rafalski, other than that they’re all aces for another 1st-round exit.

187. 100HABS says:

I would take Zherdev – nothing to give, signed as a UFA, young and ready to play for 4 mil. Just can’t sign Laps or anyone else – guys will have to come up from the farm and Price will have to accept 1 mil.

188. SeriousFan09 says:

Except we’re not going to pay Price 1 million and the freakin’ Rangers walked from paying Zherdev 4 million a year. Nothing to lose is when you sign a guy to 1-2 a year if you think he’s worth twice that, 4 mil is paying him what he never deserved in the first place.

Habs have enough question marks with Pouliot, AK as it is, Zherdev is rolling the dice without good reason to IMO.

189. crabvader says:

Well, when you put it that way.

190. PeterStone says:

I personally like Zherdev’s skill.  Nice smooth skater, great hands, but, typical Russian hockey player we have gotten accustomed to in Montreal.  If he were to be signed to a proove you deserve the money type contract, he sure could be a treat to watch. If we are talking 4M$ per … thats a little too pricey IMO.

191. Bugs says:

Awright, enough jokes. Gettin me all riled up talkin about it, let’s just go ahead and do this:

Uruguay vs Holland: Even WITH Suarez (who, imo, is a superhero for his country-saving sacrifice), I don’t think Uruguay had the tools to either pierce the Dutch defence, nor contain the Dutch offence. But WITHOUT HIM? Yeesh, I dare say no Uruguayan will attempt to cross midfield and instead, will offer a gameplan that is specifically designed to get to penalties. Best thing to hope for is that the Dutch score early. Then we’ll some action, boy! Other than that, we’re talkin 1-0 here, with perhaps a second goal in the final 10 minutes.

La Furia Roja vs ze Geeeermans: (snicker) Thank gosh my family don’t read this site or I would be ostracized faster than a Cristiano dive. I think the Spaniards are gonna suffer the same fate as the leafs, uh, err, England, I mean, and Arhentina, however they be able to score. And by “they”, I mean David Villa. Who has been extraordinary in this competition to my utter astonishment. I take back everything bad I ever said against him. Other than that, Spain has remained Spain. In the World Cup, their knees start shakin. We’re lookin at 2-1 or hopefully, 4-2 for ze Nazional Mannschaft, whose knees never shake.

Tomorrow, 14:30, there or square, you knows it.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

192. crabvader says:

Spanish will become extinct in this year’s World Cup after tomorrow.

193. likehoy says:

hey bugs i replied to your forlan dig down below but it might get lost so i’ll repost:

“no they’re not..he’s playing second striker…or support striker off the left…he rarely enters the midfield but stays between the mid and suarez.

it’s more like a 4-4-1-1.

forland doesn’t tackle back and he doesn’t enter the defensive third ever.

p.s. fyi if forlan is listed as a 3rd string goalie, he’s not allowed to play as an outfield player. it happened to north korea”

194. TripleX says:

True enough, they are hardly a Cup contender yet.  I just think from the Montreal point of view it is a playoff spot pretty much locked up for the Devils, and tougher for the Habs to get eighth.

I still will have to see it to believe it.  How many players have left the Devils because Lou was too cheap to pay them.  It just seems a bad fit from the salary and Devils’s defensive style of play.

195. SeriousFan09 says:

They’re falling out of Contender category faster than they’re clawing back into it, I agree their locking up a playoff spot is not helpful but considering how pitiful the East was last season I don’t see why MTL can’t manage to be one of the Top 8 clubs this year.

196. nickster13 says:

dunno! every year i say that, but then they manage to do well all over again, so i wont write them out yet, they still have Zach Parise and Travis Zajac

197. SeriousFan09 says:

They do well every year, but that team isn’t up to facing the post-season with a very old Brodeur and a blue line lacking Top 10 defencemen like they used to. I’m sure they’ll have their playoff spot, but they’ve been even less succesful in the post-season than the Sharks have in the last half-decade.

198. pic1983 says:

Not to mention that zach parise is RFA after this season, creating huge cap complications for NEw Jersey moving forward.

199. 100HABS says:

Rangers made a mistake (one of MANY). But you’re right about Price – even in this market low for goalies, Price should get at least 2 mil on a long contract.

200. SeriousFan09 says:

Rangers make many mistakes, but they’ve never held back from paying a guy more than he was worth as well. 4 million when he’s completely unjustified to ask for such an amount is just bad cap management for MTL.

201. TripleX says:

From the Twitter account of James Mirtle:

New York Post reports the Devils are the front-runners for Kovalchuk. Rumoured deal is seven year, $60-million: http://bit.ly/9BqoBS

202. crabvader says:

8.5/per.

Making around the same as Ovy, Sid and Malkin seems a bit more reasonable.

203. pic1983 says:

Lou is living dangerously signing kovalchuk to that kind of deal, especially with ZACH PARISE (who i would take on my team over kovalchuk in a heartbeat, even knowing that im giving up talent) as RFA after this season.

I am actually shocked that kovalchuk would turn down the kings to stay with the devils….

Kovalchuk, Kovalschmuk.

Now this is what I am talking about:

Video:
    The top 10 hitters in NHL history, with Lindros at No. 2

Enough of this girlie man goal scoring stuff. Rock’em sock’em baby!!!

205. SeriousFan09 says:

Did the TSN people decide to put Lindros right behind Stevens for fun or what?

206. Bob Barker says:

Not a bad deal for the Devils. Wish the Habs could have made the same deal.

207. crabvader says:

Lol, I was thinking the same thing.

208. Bugs says:

(sigh)

Forlan has been the best midfielder in this competition.

Schneider has been very good. But that’s to be expected from’m. Forlan’s maestro has therefore been more impressive in my opinion.

So whatever he’s listed as, or wherever or however he usually plays, in this competiton, every ball has gone through him and every offensive push has been engineered by him and he has yet to enter la zone de réparation (the big box; don’t know the term in English).

Yes, he DOES tackle back. With authority actually. You’re right on the defensive third by that’s why team have DEFENDERS. Neither did Zizou do those things btw, and he was a midfielder, tried and true.

Forlan has been the best midfielder in this competition.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

209. likehoy says:

support striker, not a midfielder…he’s playing the same position as kaka and kaka’s not a true midfielder but plays a rover role…known as the support striker

they changed the name of the position and the way that it’s played and we can thank your zizou for that. support stirker is the playmaker that plays ahead of the midfield but behind the forwards and is the 2nd wave of players that enters the box. it’s not a true midfielding position because they do not track back with the rest of the midfielders, staying up ahead with the strikers to give a quick break….the support striker plays a rover role on most teams and that’s what forlan’s been doing.

to me the difference between a midfielder and a striker/winger is how deep they come back to break out…and forlan doesn’t come back further than the half circle of the center line

midfielders xabi alonso and xavi receive the ball and all the attacks start through them for spain, but both play in a much deeper position than forlan…you can’t say forlan is playing the same position as xabi alonso or xavi can you?

210. Bugs says:

Ok, that’s fine.

Then as “2nd striker”, he has been, imo, the best midfielder in this competiton.

As completely flawed as my undertanding of his position’s actual title has been, perhaps you can forgive me that viewpoint.

I must thank you though for bringing Stormie outta the wordwork with your contention. He hasn’t had occasion to pounce on me yet as everything has transpired exactly as I had foreseen while all the “teachings” he had promised me have been waylaid by his overconfident misfired predictions.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

211. Price_31 says:

REPORT: KOVALCHUK TO SIGN SEVEN-YEAR, $60M DEAL WITH DEVILS

212. Kooch7800 says:

I was just reading that.  He turned down over 100 million for 12 years with Atlanta.  I guess he does want to go for a cup.  Good for him

213. PrimeTime says:

7 years…..OUCH!! Thats going to hurt someday.

“People build teams in certain ways. I’ve always traded for futures – not pasts.” – Sam Pollock The reason we are Hab fans http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1476

214. Les-Habitants says:

Good signing, very similar in size to Crosby/Malkin for a similar calibre player.

Dammit, it HAD to the the Devils…..man, this is the first year in AGES they’ve actually improved their off-season roster, for they finished SECOND last year!! WTF!!!

215. eyhp says:

I am a little bit surprised that no one is pulling for the Habs to sign Bill Guerin. Size, leadership, experience, he can still play, scored 21 goals last year, 11 on the PP. Shouldn’t be too expensive, and he has some ex-teammates on our team as well, Gomez, Gionta, Gill.

216. ooder says:

unfortunately we cannot sign every single free agent out there.

anywyas leadership is not a problem with the habs

——————

88 is the new 23

217. Kamal Panesar says:

Guerin could be a decent addition for cheap, but he is the type of player that you can wait to sign.  The Habs have a bunch of other priorities right now and very little cap space to make it happen!

For a player like Guerin, you offer him $1 Mil or less on a one year deal, but only once you have everyone else in place and only IF there is still money left—which is far from guaranteed at this point.

Follow Kamal on HabsAddict.com, Facebook , and Twitter

218. andrewberkshire says:

If NJ signs Kovalchuk, Parise is undoubtedly on the market this season.

219. Les-Habitants says:

Dude, not a chance.  Parise is still the best player on that team, and there is no way they’ll move what is essentiall America’s version of Crosby (ie their best/two-way/clutch player).  They;d move anyone before him

Habs have Kristo. He’ll be a 40 goal scorer in the NHL

221. cautiousoptimist says:

Not with a $3M cap hit and impending RFA status they won’t. : )  If anyone leaves, it’ll be Elias and his $6M cap hit.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  222. SeriousFan09 says:

Catastrophic mistake if they do so, but with Lou getting more desperate each year for another Cup who’s to know what will happen? That loss would set the team back for years though. Oh well, as long as he goes West that’s not my problem.

223. mike g says:

That would be the biggest mistake the Devils have ever made…

Parise is that team. Not Marty, he’s finished, a shadow of what he once was. Not Rolston at 5 mill, or Arnott at 4.5 mill, or Elias at 6 mill. It’s Parise’s team.

If anyone is moved, it will either be Zajac or Langenbrunner. They come cheaper than those oldies I listed above, and are better players. Nobody, unless the GM is on shrooms, will take Rolston, Arnott, or Elias’ 6 mill.

224. TommyB says:

If NJ signs Kovalchuk, I for one, will be completely shocked.  I saw Kovy II as a non-fitting piece on the Devils roster in the playoffs this past spring.  Are the Devils prepared to change philosophy to accomondate this one-dimensional player, albeit a very talented one-dimensional hockey player?  That’s just my opinion, of course.  Maybe with a team other than the Thrashers, Kovalchuk will become a more complete hockey player.  He may actually have someone else to play with for the first time in his NHL career, and if the coaching staff are patient, this could turn out very well for the Devils.  The jury’s still out as far as I’m concerned, but it would prove interesting.

225. HabFanSince72 says:

The bigger mistake might be Arnott at $4.5M

Now they have an urgent need to shed salary.

226. Bob Barker says:

There’s no way he’ll be on the market.

Elias will likely be moved, and Arnott won’t be resigned. That’s 10.5 million right there. They currently have 4.7 million in cap space so with the Kovalchuk contract 15.2 million – 8.5 million = 6.7 million. Parise is already making 3,125,000 so the incremental amount on his new contract will be about 4-5 million. That leaves anywhere from 1.7 to 2.7 to replace the Arnott.

I don’t think Parise’s cap hit will be the same as Kovalchuk’s. He’ll likely sign a 10-12 year contract with a lower cap hit.

227. ed lopaz says:

When young players enter the league they should be forced to watch videos on how Parise plays the game.

He is tremendous.

The energy is relentless; and he has the skills to match almost anyone in the world.

I am a big Parise fan.

228. nickster13 says:

me too, i also feel he is one of the best since he plays 2 way and has speed and skill to boot, hes like a more skilled, but slightly less tough Mike Richards. But hes also very feisty, making him way better than Richards

229. andrewberkshire says:

The plan would be to move anyone else, but there’s no way they can move enough salary to resign him. If Kovalchuk gets 8.5 Parise will get the same.

230. G-Man says:

Regarding Kov: the question is simple. Does he want to be playing for a team that is about to contend or does he just want to line his pockets? For $100 mil, I don’t think any team besides the Islanders is stupid enough. Then again, if the Habs waive Hamrlik, AK, and Spacek, they may jump into the race.

231. showey47 says:

Really all the habs need to do is move ak and hamrlik then they could do it. Taking into consideration the endorsement money kovalchuk could make playing in a province dying for a superstar like him(regardless of what language he speaks).

232. Mike from Ktown says:

No way to make the Spacek cap hit disappear besides trade

233. G-Man says:

So, a line of Gomez, Gio and Kov? Well, it’s July 5th and one can dream.

234. HabsFanNorway says:

Do not put thoughts like that in my head! :) *dreaming*

Everyone from Sweden, Finland (swedish speaking), Norway, Denmark: Join the Facebook group “Montreal Canadiens Fan Club Scandinavia”!

235. avatar_58 says:

10 years though? So much time for one player. Especially at 10mil per. I just don’t think it’s worth it.

236. avatar_58 says:

Hey I don’t like Burke as a gm but you have to admit that’s a nice story. Good on him for marching.

237. Clay4bc says:

Respect for Burke…as bad of a GM as he is, and annoying at that, there is no doubt he is a man of his word. Remember the Bryzgalov (sorry if I butchered the spelling) situation? And I am sure that this was difficult for him – he strikes me as a very homophobic man…

__________________________

Considering that his son who was openly gay recently died that comment is in poor taste. And you wonder why you think you’re next!

239. JIMVINNY says:

This “very homophobic man” participated in the Gay Pride parade in Toronto this weekend in memory of his son.

As intelligent as ever, Clay.

240. Clay4bc says:

To answer your question on the previous thread re: Price, the answer is an unqualified “no”.

__________________________

241. natethegreat says:

i think we would be better off without kovalchuk.

242. andrewberkshire says:

I’m as confused as you about it Tommy.

Forget about him, let another team find out that this is a team game. Let them pay him big bucks to play him 35 mins a game. You can’t win a thing with that much money tied up in one trick pony. Come play offs, it is easy to shut them down.

Just ask The big :O: and Crosby!——-More Fan Summit Information

244. smiler2729 says:

If the Habs can find someone who would take Roman Hamrlik’s cap hit, Sheldon Souray would be ideal for the Habs filling Hammer’s shoes and MAB’s.

Ilya nous vous ils… Kovalchuk is sooo overrated and overvalued.

Good for Burke but he better realize that’s the only parade he’ll ever get to march in Toronto every year. Laffs suck.

245. twocents says:

I wouldn’t do it. Souray is brittle and his D game is nowhere near Hamrlik’s. Let Subban, and eventually Weber, fill that role.

246. G-Man says:

Souray is awful. That’s why there are no takers. MAB has the same shot and is $4.5mil cheaper. Souray= pylon. MAB= pylon (way cheaper)

247. SlovakHab says:

Souray is 3 years younger and has a better shot, but that’s where all his advantages end.

Hamrlik: 1 year remaining on his 5.5M cap hit – Souray 2y @ $5.4M remaining

Hamrlik less injury prone, still able to handle the best NHL forwards and very much defensively responsible.

248. Bill J says:

Kovy2 CAN be signed in Montreal…

He’s what in his late 20’s ?

Sign him to a 15 year deal, VERY much front loaded, and ending in the last 5 years at 1-2 Mill per.  Creating a CAP hit of 4-5 Million…

Those years, he can stay in the NHL if he wants.  OR retire from the NHL and jump to the KHL…

If he makes himself affordable…. It CAN be done.

Problem is of course, if he was to do something like this.  Far more likely he goes to WSH or PIT.

249. Puck Bard says:

If I’m gonna dream, I’m gonna go for the plausible Impossible: forget Kovalchuk and Souray, pick up Simon Gagne fro $5 mill.

250. Bill J says:

NOOOOOOOO!!!!! I know the French Canadian factor is tempting, but this guy is even MORE brittle then Souray.

5 years ago ? Yeah I woulda loved him in MTL.

Not anymore, Flyers are trying to get rid of him for a good reason (they aren’t looking for a D or Goalie in return, that tells you something)

Your right Eric, the kids are starting to move on up. They have worked hard on the farm to make it. What would that say to them bringing some older guy back that bolted for the cash!

On the Brian Burke story marching in the gay parade in honour of his deceased son, I give him top marks. I never liked this bully lawyer, but I have a better feeling for the man now.

252. twocents says:

Ian, I agree that Burke showed strong character in doing that. He’s earned some respect from me.

loafs still suck though. Big time!

On the first point, we absolutely do not need Souray, that ship sailed long ago. Time for some new boats in the harbour.

253. Puck Bard says:

Ok, ok! Forgot about the brittle factor. Just don’t bring Souray back: that day is done.

3,4,or 5 million for one trick ponies, these days are over. The Hammer is well along in age and can not go like he use to 5 or 8 years ago. But playing him properly he is still an asset. Our kids will start taking his ice time away as they mature they will replace him.

Souray, MAB, Sergie and Laraque will never again put on our colours.

255. smiler2729 says:

I know Sheldon had an awful defensive side (pretty much a pylon) that was glaring after the lockout rules came into effect (no more clutch & grab) but his shot and the intangibles he brought (leadership, caring, sticking up for his teammates on the ice, calling out slackers) were awesome.

256. Clay4bc says:

OK, to you and HH, who obviously missed my point, here it is. I offered respect to him for doing something that was difficult for him. Period. I also called him a man of his word. More respect. Clear now? Because I remember when his son “came out”, and him talking about how he was basically homophobic, and it was difficult to deal with.

But like on  any other subject, don’t let the facts get in the way of your bias against me.

__________________________

Relax a bit. I got your gist but am pointing out not what you said but the manner with which you said it. Don’t claim innocence. You could have very well said that this is probably a difficult situation for Burke as he appears to be uncomfortable with his son’s homosexuality, yet his love/loyalty/responsibility for his son trumped his own feeling on the matter. Calling him homophobic and then claiming it was to prove a point about how he had risen over his homophobia to show how much of a nice guy he is sounds more like projection to me.

Ka-zing!!!

You know something. You need to realize that half, no maybe 80% of what I say employs either irony, sarcasm, humour or just good nature logical conundrums to prove a point.

258. Clay4bc says:

туше

But for the record, no projection here. maybe – because of my distaste for the man –  it’s just difficult for me to give credit to Burke, so I had to throw in a back-handed compliment…ever think of that?

__________________________

Good enough for me. I was just stirring the pot.

260. G-Man says:

Very true. Thx.

261. Gormdog says:

I like the direction the team is going, but i really gotta ask: How is it that time and time again, no matter what we do in this organization, however many 5 year plans and purging of bad seeds… We are still relying on three ultimate headcases (Pouliot / Price / Kostitsyn) to stop pucks and score goals on our top two lines?

Is it really THAT hard to find people that truly want to play in the NHL? Price may have “looked” more mature while riding the pine in the playoffs but we won’t really know where his head is at until an O’byrne givaway leads to a GWG right on someone’s stick… Will we get the classic “You killed my father” look from Price, or will he man up a bit and realize when plays like that happen you TRY TWICE AS HARD, not become twice as ornery.

Pouliot and Andrei… You played hockey your entire lives, are currently in the middle of hockey mecca, making millions… And you still can’t put in solid efforts night in and night out? What more do you guys want?

Needless to say it will be a very interesting season to watch, alas, a lot the fireworks will be between the ears instead of on the ice.

262. crabvader says:

“Is it really THAT hard to find people that truly want to play in the
    NHL?”

No, but it IS that hard to find people who want to play for MTL. Today’s NHLers are complete sissies who can’t take any pressure whatsoever.

Back in the day, most guys thrived on it. You’ll be lucky to find a handful that are willing to put up with it today.

263. ZepFan2 says:

All hail, the great Kovalchuck is to make his decision today, as per Lebrun’s twitter post.

“Yes that was Kovalchuk’s agent Jay Grossman who
    just tweeted that the Russian UFA will make his decision today. Get
    ready folks !”

Also, bruins in talks with Chara.

————————————————————————

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock