What a W!

Did eighth place ever feel this good?

Pat Hickey’s game story

About last night …

Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

Boston Globe story

And for your Lord’s day dining and dancing amusement:

iY16w4Z7WeQ

1. JD_ says:

* Man, there’s somethin’ to be said about these kinds of victories, as long as you’re on the givin’ end of things. Although shots were even in the first, the Broonz had far more quality opportunities. Price came through. Quality scorin’ chances in the second were minimal for both teams, with the exception of Bergeron’s first goal. In the third, the Habs owned the bulk of the opportunities and Thomas did not come through. In fairness, both – actually, all three – Hab goals were tough redirections. Also in fairness, Timmy crapped the bed in OT. He looked asleep.

* The only guys who saw more ice time than Subban last night were Seidenberg and Chara. This is despite the fact that PK, who went +2 on the night, has a grand total of 53 NHL games under his belt, includin’ playoffs. Clearly, he’s a fragile l’il thing, hasn’t been properly encouraged to raise his hockey IQ one iota this season, and is f*****’ ruined. This just in: Rice puddin’ inventories are at an all-time low. I repeat: We are runnin’ out of rice puddin’.

* HON: Thomas trackin’ Gomez’s deflected shot through his legs and all the way to the back of the net. Another few inches and Timmy’s head would have been firmly ensconced in a snug zone well familiar to Brian Burkie.

* I really can’t blame Zdeno for losin’ his cool last night. His team’s just been neutered with a dull butter knife, he’s had a number of costly eff-ups, and some celebratory kid who is sorta RookieDissin™ his netminder has the gumption to poke him in the back and shove him out of the way. Were the tables turned, and it was Hamrlik at the receivin’ end, I’d fully expect Roman to take the kid’s head off. Call it pride or competitive spirit, Chara’s got it to spare. And he’s a bright, self-taught dude to boot. Would have made an awesome Hab. Later on today, I’ll look up the Habs GM at the time of Chara’s draftin’ and drop-kick the clearly incompetent little worm.

* At some point durin’ the Wings-Nucks matchup, MacLean asked Milbury to comment on the Habs-Broonz game. Bumblin’ Mike, who clearly didn’t feel like talkin’ about it, obliged in the manner of a drunken bar patron melancholic about his long-ago days as the high-school football team’s star QB and now bitter about how everyone else but he has gone on to great success. I half-expected the failed GM to fall from his stool, puke on himself, and start bawlin’ about some perceived childhood slight. Should be a Canadian Heritage Moment in about 25 years.

* Of the 11 NHL games last night, 9 were decided by 1 goal, six of them goin’ 2-1. The only blowout was a 4-0 decision by Minny over the Crosbyless Pens. Parity, baby, parity.

2. WestHab says:

Seriously, that’s it? Kinda unusual to be removed half way in a game for the flu. Musta been a bad one.

– Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

3. Chips says:

Let’s say that a shot was redirected at the net with a high stick and the goalie gets a piece of it, but it stills goes in. No goal. If it goes in off another defensive player, then I believe that it would be a good goal. It makes sense. Though last night I’m not sure that the puck was actually going into the net until Thomas pushed it in. So…….?

25 in 2011

Dobber’s take on AK46:

“I’m souring on Andrei Kostitsyn. Talented player, but inconsistent and in the wrong coaching system. The consistency will come as he matures (he’s still only 25). But unless he gets into a different coaching system, he’ll never top 60 points. He has five points in his last 17 games and is on pace for 44. I think he’ll end up with over 50, so another hot streak is on the way – but for now I’ve soured on him.

It’s funny how a month ago we were all singing the praises of A.K.46 and dismissing Sergei as a future KHLer. Now Sergei is some sort of superstar and older brother Andrei is in a terrible slump. With Sergei’s goal Saturday, he now has 23 points, which ties Andrei.

S.K. now has 20 points in his last 18 contests.” (Dobber’s Hockey)

5. JohnBellyful says:

Didn’t see the game. Loved the result. Shocked by the comeback. Getting seven of eight points the last four games makes one somewhat optimistic facing the Rangers twice this week, although they’ve on a tear, and Pittsburgh, who will be without Crosby(?).

AK? Trade him. I’m tired of Montreal watching players leave at the end of the season instead of getting something for them at the trade deadline. AK won’t be a part of any Habs’ team that makes a serious run for the Cup but he can be part of the maneuvering to make it possible in the near future.

6. anotherhab says:

Sick from not performing!!!!

7. Storm Man says:

He has the flu.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

8. Rugger says:

1 unless 2 can’t be refused.

9. HabFanSince72 says:

Question of the day

AK46 is a UFA this summer. As things stand we are not re-singing him, and he’s unlikely to contribute much to the team, especially in the playoffs.

Which of the following three options do you favour?

1. Keep AK46, see how things develop, and decide next summer how much we want him back.

2. Trade him before the deadline.

3. Fire Jack Martin and replace him for a coach who knows how to get the most out of all his players.

10. Kimberly2u says:

Doe anyone know what happened to Cammy last night?

11. Sportfan says:

I would love to see Weber replace picard on D and id really like to see Eller back in the Line up i have a feeling JM isnt being a good coach to him and Eller isnt a bad player i dont want another rookie reuined because a coach isnt treating him right for a guy who people claim that he made hossa and spezza who he is hes doing a terrible job on eller

12. HUDSONHAB says:

I wundered about that. I didn’t see a signal until he went to the penalty box. Did he confer with the other ref or did he just decide to make the call late. It was all kind of shady to me.

….Hab4life….

13. Curtis O Habs says:

Also note that on the way to the penalty box to review the goal, the ref took time to indicate no goal in case the review was inconclusive, the call on the ice would stand.  He waved the goal off some 8 to 10 seconds after the puck crossed the goal line.  Usually speaking the ref indicates goal and then goes to review.

14. mike g says:

Dont look at his salary vs his production.. Look at his effort level and missed/blown oppotunitues/not caring attitude vs his production. Thats how you judge a player, and his value to a team. Cone playoff time, salaries dont count. Effort level, heart and constant production count. And last year in the playoffs he scored in one game out of 19…. Not really the sign of a key contributor to your team. And like ive said on so many occasions, stats dont always tell the truth. Sometimes someone has bad stats but is working realy hard and syill doing their best to contribute in any way, like Gionta was this year. But AK is jist a total non factor, and hes not unlucky, his play this year is an exact reflection of hos effort and laziness level. Gionta is getting results now because hes being rewarded for his hard work, and AK is in the doghousebecause it simply doeant bother him to be there….if it did, he would do sonething about it

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

15. novahab says:

I know some of you have questions about the no goal last night so here is the rule. If the Habs knock the puck out of the air high stick or not and it hit their goalie no goal. If the other team does it against the Habs then it’s a goal. It like, there is always a reply on a goal the Habs score but on goals against Habs something there is ,sometime there isn’t That is rule 102A  called the Gary Bettman rule.

16. Psycho29 says:

Hey the Blues lost again last night…

17. joeybarrie says:

Like i said to the poster below, (I wont repeat it) but your addition of the ‘have control on the puck’ only makes me feel like that is making more and more sense.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

18. joeybarrie says:

This possibility makes a little sense. Hit the puck towards the goal with a high stick and it ends there or something… Interesting. Your memory is good, I think I remember something similar. And the way you explain it (because its against the Habs) it sound like it should be no goal.

I just don’t like the fact that everywhere else its play on. I still feel like the circumstances were puck hit with high stick (barely) and then on its way down it was pushed in for an own goal. But when it comes to MY teams, I usually only see it one way.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

19. Psycho29 says:

On RDS they said that the rule is if the puck is batted with a high stick and goes off the goalie into the net, it’s NO goal. The goalie would have to have control of the puck in order for the goal to be good.

20. joeybarrie says:

Im torn with this. I don’t like his maybe show up maybe not… Attitude. BUT I do not want to see him mature and do well somewhere else. I think his production is not terrible given his salary, I did a search the other day and alot of guys in the 3 million range average 50 points a season and are similar to him in points right now. Maybe a 3rd liner, albeit an expensive one.

I would like to see a trade like Lats where we get something good in return. If we do not sign him. I do not want to see him just walk. I think offer him the minimum we can this summer, hope for an offer sheet, and worse case is another chance.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

21. Psycho29 says:

I forgot about Chara icing the puck, missing the net by inches….Not the smartest play…

22. anotherhab says:

First off great win last night, I was out for a bite to eat with the family and checked on the score at the end of the 2nd to notice 2-0 for the B’s. Later when I got home I was totally surprised that we had won!!! Glad I PVR’d the game. Nothing like playing the Bruins when you need a boost and build some confidence!!  Love how B’s fans are calling for Julian’s head this AM. Two Bonehead penalties is what lost it — oh and having your 4th line players that late is reason to be PO’ed at Julien.

I thought AK46 looked more awake than he did during the Pens game — not sure if he likes playing with Cammy, because when Cammy didn’t return AK46 looked more inspired and quicker!

Speaking of Cammy, when are we going to see some production — still seems to resting on his playoff success! Nine games without a goal.

I would like to see Weber replace Picard next game  — anyone else?

23. HUDSONHAB says:

I’m not sure but if you direct the puck towards the net with a high stick and it hits the goalie it is no goal.

I recall a play in a Habs game where the other team knocked the puck down from behind the net, hit our goalie and went in. It did not count. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Does anyone know the actual rule when it comes to those situations?

….Hab4life….

24. joeybarrie says:

I disagree, the evidence is there. Two things happened. If they did not, the goal should never have been disallowed. In order for the Ref to make a decision either way he had to have seen SOMETHING. Upon replay the two things you see are high stick and Thomas’ glove pushing it in the net.

It makes no sense to me. Thats all. If the play is allowed to continue as long as the high stick team doesnt touch the puck first, why would the play not be allowed to continue here. The replays showed me enough to determine that. The only possibility is a specific rule that deals with this. But that rule would then not make sense.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

25. N.B.habs fan says:

Hope they don’t renew his contract,just a waste of our money…

26. Bugs says:

Boston’t first goal was a fluke. Off Jimmy’s skate. Coulda gone anywhere. Went to Bergo. Fluke.

Tit for tat. 1-1.

2-1 Mtl victory in overtime. Good?

Great.

Happy New Year, signed

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

27. Bugs says:

Listen, we gotta be real. There was NO clear-cut evidence to counter the ref’s albeit bullspit call.

Fersure, if he HADN’T signaled no goal, that SAME evidence wouldn’t have overturned it either.

Just a bullspit call, is all. That we overcame. So fugeddabowdit.

Happy New Year, signed

28. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Yes and if the Habs lost the game that way, we’d be saying they didn’t play a full 60 minutes and the other team was oportunistic. But in this case yes, of course the Habs were lucky and no mention of the Bruins easing off the pedal in the 3rd, right?

29. habs-hampton says:

I agree with your argument. Thomas swiped it into the net. The NHL rule book is quite vagueon how the rule is applied.

30. adam76 says:

Well said – its all about results and effort, and AK is bringing nothing to the table.

31. joeybarrie says:

I see what your saying, however to me you can absolutely say the the stick touched the puck and it looked above the goal post, however, you can also say that Thomas pushed it into his own net. The replays CLEARLY showed this to me anyways. Thus a good goal. I am BAFFLED as to why unless there is a specific rule about it. But that makes no sense, as you can continue the play after the puck has been touched by a high stick, as long as your team isnt the first to touch it.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

32. Omit says:

You are just upset because PT didn’t mention your name.

33. otter649 says:

Tough game for Chara (couldn’t happen to a nicer guy) on the ice for all 3 Habs goal – Has Gomez goal go off his bigfoot & ices the puck (going for an empty net goal ?) forcing The Bruins 4th line to stay on the ice and Montreal scores the tieing goal off the faceoff. Then goes after MaxPac for a slight shove after The GW Goal & then punches a couple of Habs including Gomez. I wonder what Mr Gomez said to Chara to make him take a swipe at him……..

34. Omit says:

Gee, that’s awfully nice of you. I guess The Habs have never lost games due to bad luck.

You are a _____________! (optional)

35. adam76 says:

Its all about perception and angles.  I was impossible to know 100% sure when the stick touched the puck.

IT looked good to me, but it was inconclusive (thus the call on the ice stands)

36. punkster says:

I believe PT refers to these posters due to their constant and never ending angry, negative and egotistical attitudes and comments. By all means, point out the flaws, criticise the system, protest when things go awry but try to employ a bit of perspective. This isn’t a government we’re protesting, it’s a hockey team. It’s just a game.

***Subbang!!!***

37. adam76 says:

Yes, only those puck bunny posters who vomit sunshine and poop rainbows are “real” fans.  A true fan would never question the logic or moves of management, or question the heart of a player.

38. joeybarrie says:

The second goal was justice for the first one taken away from us. Montreal did to Boston, what we let many teams do to us. The Habs ABSOLUTELY deserved the game. Boston did not put on a convincing win to me even without the last 3 minutes.

We put up many shots on goal, and created some good opportunities. Thomas played well until the end and kept them in the game. I dont think their goals were particularly great.

We did have alot of giveaways.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

39. PrimeTime says:

Totally agree with your comment, Ed. You are right when you think I am a “1/2 glass full” guy but I do have an open mind and respect others who do also. But I will stand against those to “balance the conversation” who constantly come here just to post criticism and cynical opinions.

Thanks for your reply.

40. joeybarrie says:

Im sure it’s been explained a few times. But for the life of me I cannot understand why that wasnt a goal last night. To me, even when the puck is hit with a high stick it isnt whistled down unless the team touches it again. If Thomas put it in his own net, again to me, that should have ABSOLUTELY been a goal. We didnt touch it again, and it absolutely did not go straight in cause thomas’ glove clearly pushed it in.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

41. mike g says:

Ok, AK…..you’ve been wasting a top 6 spot on this team for too long now. Guys like Pouliot get on average 8 minutes less of icetime per night, minimal PP time, play with guys like Halpern and Darche, but yet have Almost as many points as you. And to make matters even worse, Benny has 2 fewer goals, but has taken 58 shots less than AK. And to make things even more worse, Benny himself doesnt even play consistent hockey and often gets benched for it! All this goes to show is that with all the opportunities and chances AK gets, he cant even outproduce a sometimes lazy/invisible 3rd liner. Can we please all agree that AK is a waste of space on this roster? Hea taking a spot that can be filled by anyone, especially when AK has scored 4 goals in his past 32 gp and has 1 goal in his past 17!!! So can we please stop with talk of him being an offensive threat and physical force? All he is is a lazy player with no heart. Mathieu Darche is producing more than him, simply because Matty cares and works hard every shift; not once a month…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

42. Curtis O Habs says:

We should try to get Shane Doan from the coyotes.

43. adam76 says:

That second goal was a fluke – Montreal did not deserve those two points – but will take em.

We are having a better day today Shane!!

45. adam76 says:

I would love to see Price bust a move, after he wins a Stanley cup.

46. ed lopaz says:

some fans believe that management needs to be questioned and criticized.

many of these fans are equally passionate, and love the Habs as much or more than you do.

look at Leaf fans if you want to see what BLIND FAITH can bring a franchise.

you are a good fan, Prime Time, no doubt.

But the people you mention spend a lot of time and energy here, and they balance the discussion.

I try to have an open mind.

I think you and everyone here should try to do likewise.

I love my country, that does not mean I support the present government.
    I love the Habs, that does not mean I support present Habs management.

47. HABdriven says:

Terrific comeback and sweet victory against the collapsaholic Bruins. Some of the comments coming out of the Boston media sites are hilarious. Definitely made my day and weekend! Love the Wiz acquisition and P.K.’s grit, and am looking forward to an exciting run to the playoffs.

48. PrimeTime says:

And that is likely all we are gonna get for him. We will not get a “top 6” or a 1st rounder as many here will complain about when it happens. In fact, so little is possible in return for AK in a trade, I say let’s let him play out his contract….he still may have one last scoring streak in him.

49. PrimeTime says:

Reading the fans comments from other team blogs is almost as entertaining as reading the same “cry baby” opinions posted by ManApart, TripleX, LA Loyalist, and all the other “Bill O’Reilly” loser attitude types. Same sh_t….different pile. You can find them on any team site.

50. Storm Man says:

LA could always start a Ducksinsideout.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

51. SmartDog says:

Good point Ian.  And I was impressed how well PK and others stepped it up last night.

But Price is pretty damn important in this equation.  Too important in a way for my likings.

——-

52. CHsam says:

The mild beef salami i’m going to cook for breakfast has more spice and life than AK46… PG should trade him for a six pack

53. marshx says:

Carey needs to start bustin some moves like this during games!!

As for the game last night .. All I can say is NICE ! I think Gomez could take Chara 😛

54. hab_skill says:

AK, Weber and a second rounder to Edmonton for Hemsky and a Third Round pick? Anybody?

Rob, goals against is not a Price stat, it is the only meaningful TEAM stat.  The 6 players protecting their goal together, until they gain possession and go the other way.

Not as exciting hockey for sure, but it is the winning est style, one on one. Every player has to buy in though.!

56. CDH says:

I can see PK and Price dancing up a storm in their next big win!

57. HabFanSince72 says:

We skated with them in the 1st. Maybe slightly out-chanced them.

They won the 2nd we won the 3rd and OT.

Out-shot them by 50%.

58. HabFanSince72 says:

I think he must have meant Saku, Chips and Lappy.

59. HabFanSince72 says:

Thomas actually choked big time didn’t he?

Not for the first time against us.

60. sholi2000.com says:

So happy they beat the Bruins.  I thought Thomas was going to stop everything.

Max Pacs, Great Work on that winner!

Chara, what can I say.  You’re an idiot on a team of idiots.  YOu belong a Bruin, and it suits you.

They Call Me Shane

61. Storm Man says:

When did PK,Weber,Eller, and Poo start playing for the Duck LA?

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

62. LA Loyalist says:

Well all credit to the guys for finally it going and to Martin for giving them rope. Bruins were heading for the Gatorade(tm) bucket an it cost them big time.

But why were we missing (AGAIN) at the beginning of the game? Didn’t the guys get Timex’s for Christmas??

AK, Gio, Go-No-Mo… I would rather suffer the slings and errors and learning curves of PK, Weber, Eller, Poo… and the kids in the hall, as long as the effort is there.

Watching multi-millionaires float around in a mobile coma makes me puke, or is that just me? We’re #8!, We’re #8!

But at least we’re up to 1 and 15 when losing after 2 periods.  Be grateful for small blessings.

63. Storm Man says:

I see nothing odd with manApart and triplex not posting when the Habs win.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

64. SmartDog says:

So by rank we are worse off in goal-scoring but better in points.   Just goes to show, as Price goes, so go the Habs.

——-

65. Habnofear says:

All Hab fans should get  portable defibulators  from the Molsons so they can come back for the last 5 mins of the 3rd.Hope we don’t have too play the Boooins again cus Chara’s pissed,lol

That was not a  fun game and a great ending but honestly we fluked out. And my Max-Pax– Desharnais–Eller line is goinna happen!

66. Psycho29 says:

I want to see Price dance like that after a big win so a certain poster will implode….

Here are our weekly stats for how we place in the big picture of this 30 team league, compared to where we were last week.

Two wins in a row, great !. But not much separation when you give the opposition a point also.

The most important stat in evaluating a winning teams play, is always the Goals Against stat.

Goals Against—99,   We are in  3rd place.   Last week we were in   6th place.

Total Points  —49,   We are in 12th place.   Last week we were in 16th place.

Goals For     –105,   We are in 27th place.   Last week we were in 22nd place.

Remember this, Goals For, mean absolutely nothing, if your Goals Against, are better than the opposition.

This is the J. Martin defensive and play off winning philosophy.

Just ask Pittsburgh & Washington what happened to them last year with all there fire power. Hang onto your hats folks, we are even better than last year, injuries and all.

The system works well in the play offs.

68. BruinsRToast says:

Great morning everyone!  My cousin’s family lives in Boston.  I LOVE beating the Bruins! But I think I have no fingernails left.

I wonder how many players we can lose and still win some games?

69. Bill H says:

I agree Randy.  The Habs have some serious problems with scoring and with defence.  They were very soft for 2 periods.  But I’ll take the lucky bounces and the 2 points.  I don’t see that kind of luck happening on a consistent basis though.

70. twocents says:

Well, that’s odd. Over the past few weeks there are usually a ton of
    posts by a couple of posters with B&W avatars here. Huh! but last night, and
    this morning I can’t see any from them.

Weird… I wonder if there’s a pattern…

71. gloveside says:

We sleepwalk through 2 and a half periods, get a couple of bounces and pull one out of the fire. I’ve never seen a Habs team look so soft, but a win is a win.

Worried about the mounting injury report, though.

72. petefleet says:

My take on last nite’s game, from my rec room chair.

Darche’s goal was a goal.  I’ve seen it called a goal many times.

AK46 is not with us.  I’m not sure what it takes to get him engaged in the game, but I wish Martin or someone else would find out or trade him.

Although the Wiz did cough the puck up last nite, he’s not the defensive liability I thought he was going to be.  Side note: he’s better offensively than I thought he would be as well.

Gomez is playing better but is still a bit lazy and really should shoot more.  A quick look and there is no one to pass to, take the shot!!!!!

All the new / young guys are playing well.  It’s the vets that are struggling.

I’ve been hard on Price lately but credit where it’s due, without him playing well, 7 of 8 points would not have happened.  Glad he’s got his mojo back.

PK has settled into a more responsible role, good on ya Muller and co.  PK will be great if he can keep his head on.

I like how Martin was playing 3rd and 4th lines late in the game.  Takes guts to do that.

***Habs Forever***

Joey – I share your apprehension.  I can’t stand AK46 but I also don’t want to have him come back and bite us.

74. Rugger says:

How many times have we seen someone score a goal and immediately get crosschecked with no penalty, good on Max-Pac for doing the post goal hitting.