‘We’re ready for the playoffs,’ Habs coach Therrien says

Coach Michel Therrien says the Canadiens are ready for the playoffs.

“We showed a lot of character to come back after giving up three goals and as a coach you appreciate that,” Therrien said after the Canadiens gave up three first-period goals before rallying for a 7-4 win over the Senators Friday night in Ottawa.  “We didn’t quit and we showed that we’re ready for the playoffs. We’ve achieved our goal of making the playoffs and now we want to play solid and play with passion and we did that tonight.”

The Canadiens will be back in action Saturday night when the Detroit Red Wings visit the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690). Only a handful of Canadiens players were expected to skate Saturday morning in Brossard and there was no media availability.

The Canadiens are two points ahead of Tampa Bay in the battle for second place in the Atlantic Division and home-ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs, but the Lightning holds a game in hand. The Lightning plays host to the Dallas Stars Saturday night.

Max Pacioretty had a hat-trick Friday night, increasing his career-high goal total to 38. Carey Price, who was on the bench as the backup to Peter Budaj, was among those in Ottawa to throw his hat on the ice after Pacioretty’s third goal. With four games remaining in the regular season, Pacioretty could become the Canadiens’ first 40-goal scorer since Vincent Damphousse in 1993-94.

“He’s an animal,” linemate David Desharnais said about Pacioretty. “He scores every chance he’s got and I don’t expect less from him. He’s a great guy, a great leader, and that’s what we need from him. All the credit to him.”

The Red Wings, who are fighting to make the playoffs for the 23rd straight season, improved their odds with a 3-2 win over the Buffalo Sabres Friday night. The Red Wings, who held the first wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference after Friday’s win, have won two of three previous games against the Canadiens this season.

(Photo by Jana Chytilova/Freestyle Photography/Getty Images)

Habs vs. Wings preview, NHL.com

Game notes

Habs roar back after spotting Sens a field goal, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

‘We’re ready for the playoffs,’ Therrien proclaims, by Pat Hickey

Habs’ offensive numbers less than impressive, by Pat Hickey

Pacioretty looks unstoppable, Canadiens.com

Mayor Coderre a sports fan at heart (with video), by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

CBC rooting for Leafs to make playoffs, by Pat Hickey

Senators collapse yet again, Ottawa Citizen

Wings keep playoffs in site, Detroit Free Press

This week’s HI/O Show highlights

1. frontenac1 says:

Rosehill gets a narrow win over Thornton today.

2. Storman says:

MLB all over the tube with free MLB preview,,I Love playing baseball, watching on TV,, not so much,, although in HD quite the sports eye candy,, Funny i can watch Blue jays and Raptors no problem,, but Leafs just give me the Mexican two step..

3. theox_8 says:

Some people on here find PK selfish , a terrible d man give your heads a shake . He is our best d man we have had in the last decade . Seems like some on here would put up Weaver for the Norris , mind you he is playing decent hockey for a depth d man . And if PK offended some people last night with his interview well I suggest changing the channel and watch bowling or something !!

• likehoy says:

I haven’t seen anything from PK Subban that’s better than what Andrei Markov was over the last 10 years..

I think Subban’s a fantastic player and can become even better.. but Markov was the unsung hero of many Habs teams over the years

• laGrandeTerreur says:

Hey guy. If you didn’t know right away my post about PK insulting francophones was sarcastic, perhaps you might have read right below it where I came out and said it was sarcastic.

Further, I see no one on here bashing PK, saying that he isn’t a good player. Too many sheeple can not see any room for nuance or fair criticism, it’s all or nothing. Just like in your hyperbolic sarcastic comments about Weaver. Give it a rest.

4. B says:

Did Therrien just announce they are ready for the playoffs or was he answering a question?

–Go Habs Go!–

5. habsfor25 says:

Take the time and give this a watch. I just gained a ton of respect for the sharks organization. This is how the clubs can give back to their long and devoted fans. Breathtaking

6. twilighthours says:

Hey big terror, are you funky crab chair nf?

7. Un Canadien errant says:

Since that post went into the weeds quickly, let me answer this here.

TimoAPRIL 5, 2014 AT 1:40 PM
    I read Brian Wilde’s article. All you Therrien apologists should really read it. He is right in implying that the only reason Therrien got the job is because he spoke French. If he were such a good coach why didn’t other teams pursue him?

To be strictly accurate, we don’t know if Michel Therrien had feelers/interviews between his Penguins job and his second kick at the can here.

Practically, people generally, and more specifically in hockey, will tend to hire people they know, people they’re comfortable with. So southern white football coaches hire other southern white coaches, even though their team/league is 90% African-American. To combat this, the NFL introduces the Rooney rule, which stipulates that you have to at least interview minority candidates.

RDS had a discussion on Bob Nicholson, and François Gagnon was asked if there are any francophones in the Hockey Canada hierarchy. He replied with a bit of a smirk that it is a bit of an Alberta-boys club, that it’s based in Calgary and no one from Québec is in that group. Understandable. When Bob Nicholson needs to hire someone to fill a job, he asks his circle who would be a good fit, they tell him to talk to this guy or that guy, and this guy tends to be someone they’ve worked with. The cycle continues.

The Canadiens draw from the local pool when it comes to hiring coaches, scouts, etc. As has often been discussed, if they don’t, who will? Will the New Jersey Devils hire a guy from the LHJMQ, unless he has ties to their team or Lou Lamoriello? Won’t they be more likely to hire a college guy from the area?

So the Canadiens have hired ‘unknowns’ from the LHJMQ, “because they spoke French”, guys like Pat Burns, Alain Vigneault, Claude Julien and Michel Therrien. The thing is, if these guys were abysmal and underqualified, they would have been expelled from the league in a hurry, like Brian Lawton, or Pierre Maguire. Instead, all these guys got hired again by other organizations, and all have had success.

So it’s not only not a bad idea for the team in Montréal to hire francophone coaches, it’s actually pretty smart, there’s a synergy. It’s like getting the top pick in a pool of candidates that no other organization headhunts in.

The Canadiens hire french-speaking coaches for marketing reasons, if you want to be cynical. If you want to be practical, it’s because they know these guys, have contact with them regularly, they’re in the social circle, like the Alberta boys who run Hockey Canada or the Oilers.

Patrick Roy was hired by the Colorado Avalanche to be the head coach, and he brought along André Tourigny, Mario Duhamel, and François Allaire to be his assistants. Darryl Sutter didn’t do that. These assistants didn’t get the call from Peter DeBoer or John Tortorella. They got their chance because someone they knew, someone who trusted them, gave it to them.

There’s no need for a conspiracy theory or hysteria. Michel Therrien got hired because he’s a local boy, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• ont fan says:

I think it is correct to say the Habs hire the unknowns who move on to better careers when they have more experience.

• dhenry1234 says:

Great Post!

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

We are not worthy …

all fawning aside UCE, this is the best explanation for the Habs version of the universal phenomenon that we hire/hang out with those we know/are like us.

Integrated schools/teams still reveal similar cultures/races hanging out together – rare is the social butterfly like a Warren Cromartie who was omnisocial …

A good discussion for a rainy no-hockey day in August perhaps?

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

8. Prop says:

Ok, so the team is in the big dance and has a winning record despite Michel Therrien.
    I guess they would have been better off with Randy Cunningham.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

9. UKRAINIANhab says:

My only complaint with MT is the development of Alex Galchenyuk. This guy was a 3rd overall pick and in his second season he has shown us very little. Maybe, Galchenyuk is not as good as we thought. Maybe, Michel is holding him back to much. I am starting to get a little impatient with Galchenyuk.

• Prop says:

Chucky will be fine.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Paz says:

Galchenyuk needs the puck to create offence. He is a prototypical centreman. Playing him on the wing has not allowed him to showcase his talent.

• laGrandeTerreur says:

I just commented on this below. I think his size is really his biggest problem at this point. He’s too skinny. He must add weight/strength.

• Storman says:

Guys relax on Chucky, he still should be playing against boys in Junior,,playing against men can be very intimidating at times for some,, all players of his age dont mature immediately upon joining the big boys, he will be a dominant offensive force in coming years, he has an offensive skill set that players can only dream of,, it will shine through consistently after he gains some muscle and maturity..

10. naweed235 says:

Realistically speaking, what are the chances that we can resign all of Markov, PK and Vanek this off season?

If somehow MB manages to pull it off, is he instantly the best GM we have had in the last 20 years?

11. Old Bald Bird says:

Here’s one slant on MT as coach. Recently anyway, for the most part, he has the team playing with determination. In other words, they are showing character. Somewhat ironically, some of the turn about was the Ottawa game, in which PK was unleashed and played a large role.

What we can also say is that as much as we sometimes shake our heads at the system and scoring, it’s 100% better than the JM system. The team is probably playing the only way they can to maximize their chances.

On the other side of the coin, is the lack of progress among some of the team, particularly the younger ones, particularly PK but also Galch, Eller and others. I find this troubling. It’s very nice to do some winning now, but we aren’t true contenders yet. That can only come as younger players develop, and it’s the lack of development in those players that troubles some of us.

I know there is the MT is wonderful faction and the MT is terrible faction. I am staking a position somewhere in the middle. I guess where I come down is that long range plan is arguably more important than the short range one, and I can’t see many positive things occurring there.

• Paz says:

John Tortorella won a Stanley Cup with Tampa. He’s still a terrible coach in my mind. I would never hire him. Ever!

As much as Therrien is winning, and therefore he will receive an extension, and he deserves to be applauded for his record, I would never have hired him. Ever!

It’s a question of style.

I like coaches who communicate, who are respectful, who are “players coaches”.

I agree with your conclusion Bird.

• laGrandeTerreur says:

I am pro-MT, i guess, but my real opinion is that coaches are blamed and credited a little too much. Their most important job is to make sure the players are ready each night, they’re unified, and they don’t quit. So far, so good.

Player development is also important, but I don’t believe there is much to crucify MT for in this department either. The aspirations for Eller are much, much too high. I was guilty of this. Looking back, there was no evidence he was going to become Mats Sundin. Just hope. He was never projected to be a top center, and was never dominate at any point in his life at any level. Galchenyuk has played one and a half seasons in the NHL, zero in the AHL. He’s too inexperienced, and in my opinion, still too skinny to make a real mark in this league.
      PK is a different story. I’ve been very critical of him lately, but I don’t see it as a huge problem yet. He’s been bad defensively since February, but it doesn’t mean he’s completely regressed. Perhaps it’s just a funk. I find it difficult to blame coaches for Norris-winning players forgetting how to play sound defense, though, and I don’t think that’s what has happened.

12. emann_222 says:

Not sure about this Subban benching. I think the guy needs to play to build confidence going into the post season. Should be interesting to see what Therrien does with him tonight!

Here’s my thoughts after listening to TSN 690 this morning:

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.com

• matrags says:

Subban is losing his swagger ,his confidence.I know he talks the talk still however his walk is now full of uncertainty,second guessing, a tentativeness has entered his game,overthinking brought on by a drain in his confidence,benching does that . he professes his love for Montreal , the team but allways closes discussions on contract now with the proviso it’s a business.I remember him telling Gainey when drafted that You won’t regret drafting me …I. Wonder if maybe he is now having regrets…that the habs drafted him…Benching a Norris d men.. In the first sec of a game is humiliating and does nothing to drive a message home.even the commentators covering the game saw that…

13. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Encore une autre “chill pill” mes amis …

Perhaps we should consider “ready for the playoffs” in Therrienese (like Mandarin but with less soy sauce and more wing sauce) means that as a team, they are “emotionally” ready for the battle of the playoffs, not that they are fully locked down defensively.

The tighter hind quarters work will start tonight, and for this last week, with a great test in a depleted but talented Hawks team in the middle.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

14. habbernack says:

The team gives up 40 shots ON goal and he says they’re ready for the playoffs. If they give up those kind of shots to TB it’s gonna be a short series.How many shots were blocked or missed the net?

• Ian Cobb says:

He said the team was ready for the play offs, but is Therrien ready???

I said months ago that PK should be playing up front. But could not because we were short of D men. By next year we may have enough D for the PK to play up front on the 2nd or 3rd line.!

• B says:

Are you criticizing Therrien for not using his Norris winner as a 3rd line winger?

–Go Habs Go!–

• DAVE. N says:

I don’t mind stepping in on that thought. All the pro analysts, as well as the HIO experts have lamented the Habs not being big and strong up front, especially on the Right Wing. My criticism was that we DO have a rugged Right Wing for the PP, and Subban can be that guy. He has the skills, intensity and is not afraid to go into the corners or the front of the net. Used this way, you add a weapon to your PP arsenal. Outside the box thinking sometimes is useful when your options are limited. Not saying it would be every game, every PP, but trying it costs nothing. IMO

Save the planet. Compost a Leaf.

15. laGrandeTerreur says:

@24 Cups,

i wasn’t around then, but knowing much about it, and our ugly American history, those are my sentiments as well.

my philosophy is that racism is one of the worst human traits that can be revealed in society. so what is it to label people as racists on a whim? here a racist, there a racist… the only thing worse than BEING racist, is calling someone else a racist with little or no reason. It’s hateful and destructive.

A child molester is maybe the most vile person imaginable. So someone who would falsely accuse, or do so with no proof, would be vile as well.

People go about trying to ruin other peoples’ reputations (and livelihoods) every day with claims like this. And no, I’m not so much talking about minorties claiming racism. That’s a very different dynamic. I’m talking about holier-than-thou whites who want to stone their peers for every silly comment. It seems nothing makes a white kid more proud these days than to ‘discover’ and out a dirty racist. Even Movember is racist up at McGill. Sure proves to one’s self how righteous he/she is.

16. nshab says:

MT try PK as a forward for the rest of the season and use him on the point during power plays. If he driving you nuts on D, don’t waste his talent sitting him on the bench. Unless this is really just a ploy to set him up for another team. He’s worth a lot more if a team try’s to sign him as a restricted free agent , then he is as a trade.
    nshab

PK is a -3.
    He was on the ice for 56 goals against us. Unbelievable stat!

Unfortunately there are bigger fish to sign before him, at the end of this year. He just might have played himself out of town, if he thinks he will sign for Norris money!

• Caesar says:

there is no bigger fish than PK. he will be here 15 years after MT

• zephyr says:

he’s 24 & he’s won the Norris already. geez. my leaf friends salivate at the thought of getting subban. I think some people can’t see the forest for the trees.

• sirs81 says:

I don’t understand why people are in love with PK. To me he seems very selfish. I think the Habs would be better off letting him walk or trading him in the off season. Maybe do the same thing Boston did with Kessel…. Maybe he just does not fit with the other players in the room… Its just my 2 cents.

• RockinRey says:

I am curious . Why exactly is he selfish?

——————————————————————————————————
          ‘This organization going forward must set its sights on competing for the game’s ultimate prize every season — and no lesser standard should be accepted.’
          —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

• ffenliv says:

I think PK will get his money from Montreal. that 56 GA requires context. Particularly, the amount of time he plays and the quality of opposition.

Also, while he has notable defensive shortcomings, his offensive output can’t be questioned. The only way to replace that through free agency is to shell out cash, so I think they’ll give that cash to PK, a known quantity.

• laGrandeTerreur says:

Regardless of any of this nonsense, if the man wants $8 million, I wouldn’t mind one bit seeing him leave via offer sheet. We’ll take the pics and the money. He is NOT Shea Weber – though I’d like to trade him for Shea Weber.

• stevieray says:

Regarding 76 , you may be right…I wonder if he’s just to flamboyant for this team … Either way his leverage regarding length and amount of contract has regressed due to his play. This will all play out eventually….If given the choice between Vanek and pK…??????

• habbernack says:

What’s Karlson plus and minus

• Paz says:

Hilarious! Why should Subban be looking for Norris money?

1) because he’s the Norris trophy holder? That could be a reason

2) because at least 20, probably more, would gladly grab him and pay him Norris money? That could be reason number 2.

Habs have 3 choices

Pay Subban, trade Subban, or force him to arbitration where he will get about 6 million.

18. slapshot777 says:

Is Beaulieu playing tonight?

19. slapshot777 says:

Is Beaulieu

20. nshab says:

Do the leafs really drive the ratings on the CBC. If the Habs were driven down the throats of the kids of Ont. like the Leafs are in the rest of this country. The Habs would then drive the ratings. As tax payers we sponsored this take over of the younger kids in Canada. This tax payer propaganda campaign to feed the minds of the youths of this country, that it’s Leafs all the time. Don’t believe me ,look what happen to the Expos. Once the Blue Jays came in to the league. That was the start of the Toronto media tearing the team a part. The CBC dropped the Expos, and promoted the Jays. They claim they could not make money with the Expos only the Jays. MMMMMMMMMMMMM sound familiar and now the CBC has now lost hockey , like they did with baseball.
    nshab

21. twilighthours says:

Old baldy,

Thx for the wilde article. Definitely written like an emotional fan boy might write it. But he’s not wrong.

22. Un Canadien errant says:

Timo brought up the point on the previous thread that RDS are so pro-Michel Therrien that they didn’t bring up anything about P.K. being benched. That brings up two thoughts.

I don’t spend a lot of time on RDS’ comment boards, but when I do, there are a lot of comments that are broadly the same as on HIO, but a lot that are different. For example, Francis Bouillon doesn’t receive the spite that he does on here. There is an overwhelming proportion of posters who see Francis as a valuable veteran who’s great to have around while Josh Gorges recovers. Not an All-Star, but good to have in a pinch. Mobile, decent in most situations, the best we have, all other d-men may not be up to the task of playing with P.K. (experience, mobility, style,…) Whereas a significant, vocal minority on HIO hammers him relentlessly, spewing that he’s garbage, finished, can’t play, and only on the ice because he’s the coach’s favourite. As if his having earned the coach’s trust over his career is an unsavoury deal.

Same goes for Michel Therrien, the broad strokes are roughly the same, but the median poster on RDS is much more positive than on HIO. There is a more unanimous agreement that he has grown since his last stint in Montréal, that while most were guarded upon his re-hire, that he has been a pleasant surprise, and that he’s getting more out of our roster than we kind of thought possible, for a second season in a row. Some question specific decisions and calls, but he gets more credit when he makes a change for the better. On RDS he gets credit for the decision working out, whereas on HIO there’s a chorus of “Clueless idiot! Why didn’t you do that before!” or “Line juggling?!! That’s the most preposterous thing I’ve ever heard of, and has never been attempted by any other NHL coach, since it has never worked ever in the history of the game! I exclaim this with suitably excessive punctuation!!! !”

What this says about the two solitudes, others may be more qualified to comment on, bathing as they are in the language politics of the moment in this election campaign. But it seems to me that for all the angst about the importance of language in personnel decisions for Canadiens management, maybe it’s some of the posters on HIO who are more concerned with that aspect, who are hyper-sensitive about it.

My second comment relative strictly to P.K. is that the Antichambre boys did touch on it, were cautious and tempered in their remarks, and relied on what had been discussed the previous post-game, which is that if Lars Eller gets to play after taking two penalties in the O-zone, and if Michel Therrien wants to “reward his effort” and encourage him, then maybe P.K. deserves the same courtesy. There was some back and forth, Gaston Therrien brought up that P.K. is always upbeat, every day at practice he’s joking around and having a good time, maybe it rolls off his back and he can be handled differently, to get his attention, Vincent Damphousse cautioned that P.K. “knows where the cameras are”, and maybe puts on a brave face in public but it might be different behind closed doors. Anyway, the discussion moved on, but the group did feel uneasy that P.K. might be treated in a way that verges on the inequitable, they warned against that.

But then, as befits a game where a heck of a lot happened, and when the Canadiens won, they moved on, and stopped picking at warts. So the thought that the RDS guys are shameless Therrien-hypers because they glossed over a significant decision on player use is inaccurate. They guys had discussed it extensively in a previous show, and re-visited the issue the next post-game.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• gumper says:

Thanks UCE. Being essentially unilingual, I find this sort of feedback invaluable.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

• frontenac1 says:

Agree UCE. I only watch CBC for Grapes show.(Yeah,yeah ,I know) and whenever a poster alerts me that Andi Petrillo is on. I watch each game and AC on RDS . I am satisfied with that except I would like RDS to trade PJ Stock permanently for Andi. Saludos!

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Thank you for the healthy dose of perspective UCE. I suspect that HIO can be a little “english language” biased. It is nice to be reminded that is more than one way to look at a thing. Very best Regards,

Habs4LifeinTO

24 cups and counting….

23. JUST ME says:

I guess the Habs are as ready for the playoffs as they will ever be. Do they have what it takes to make a run for the big mug ? Every time i tought that they were not up to par to compete against their opponents ,and there has been many occasions, they have proven me wrong.

In goal they are the best. Offensively if on all cylinders they are a threath. Defensively is the iffy part.

Yesterday`s game is the perfect example of the ugly and the pretty side of that team. They started as being as bad as the Sens but when they went onto high gear they were not in the same class anymore. They have to play their own game and dictacte the tempo of the game. Easier said then done but hey, i do not see them as being able to bring much more adjustements from now on so tonight`s game and the ones against Chicago and the Rangers will be the last chances to tweak our compete level.

• gumper says:

Any team can beat any team on any given night. Can the Habs perform consistently enough to make a deep run? I hope this doesn’t sound too pessimistic, but it have my doubts. I hope I’m wrong.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

24. hitgurl says:

Patches is in fire. Vanek really makes that line complete. What a great player.
    Hafta say that Vanek looks a little lonely sometimes on the bench while DD and Patches are yakking it up. Maybe They can make him a BFF too and he’ll stay.

25. PrimeTime says:

PK fans pull the “racist card” when others criticize him. Can the “french card” be pulled on those who criticize MT??

• laGrandeTerreur says:

I am American, I live on the border with Ontario and encounter Canadians daily. I also travel to Quebec monthly, and occasionally for extended periods of time.

My honest, (previously) unbiased opinion, based on 6 years of experiencing and studying this phenomena, is that the hate and animosity coming from anglophone Canadians overwhelmingly outweighs any similar sentiment or concern from francophones. In short, anglophones are enraged, and francophones just do not care about this. A majority of the time, just asking Ontarians about their feelings of Quebec (not the PQ, but Quebec) elicits a hostile response.

Of course, this is a generalization. But to believe that many here and in the media are definitely not resentful of Therrien and Co. and the ‘French fact’ would be foolish.

I wouldn’t call this racism, though. It’s to be expected in a country that has had two competing, dominate cultures with deep historic roots. Countries split in half, and continue to try to split, for these reasons, not just in Canada. This is why I tend to believe Canadians and Quebecois would get along better had they split up a few decades ago. I’m not going to debate that, I’m just basing that on successful, peaceful, mutually beneficial splits we’ve seen in Europe.

• Old Bald Bird says:

You are painting with a rather broad brush. I live in ON, and you’re way over the top. I can’t remember the last time when anybody referenced Francophones or Quebec in any way, or at least in any negative way It just doesn’t com up often.

• laGrandeTerreur says:

Well, like I said, it was a generalization and based on ongoing personal experience. People who DO have an opinion on Quebec (from southern Ontario, at least) seem to have, more often than not, a negative one. I’ve actually stopped talking to Canadians around here about it because it is annoying and frustrating.

It’s very evident in anglophone national media as well. I can read and hear on a daily basis, from media and layfolk alike, about how Quebecois are inbred (they’re not anymore than the rest of Euro Canadians), speak ‘bastardized’ French (they don’t), live on welfare from Alberta, are mostly half-breed natives (doesn’t make sense, since they’re inbred), and that Canada should have a referendum to kick them out (bad idea) on a daily basis.

This of course changes for a bit every 4 years when they win you guys some medals lol.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

I think I see that from time to time. Some people in Toronto absolutely hate Americans and I could never understand why or where that comes from. Didn’t see US bashing from Quebecers while I lived there for my first 27 years. Many Torontonians also seem to be very hard on French Canada too; some despise all things Quebec. I have often wondered can that be attributed to the small minority of Quebecers and their ongoing threats to separate? I remember feeling a little competitive thing with Toronto years ago while I lived in Montreal but can’t say I hated them. Anyways some Leaf Fans here seem to feel very entitled to slag the Habs maybe as a way of showing their patriotism somehow? Who knows..anyways I am going for a run to clear my head….been here too long already!

24 cups and counting….

26. Bugs says:

Unless I misunderstand the new playoff seeding arrangement, IF, I do say “IF” by some chance of chances, the leafers DO squeak in, doesn’t that mean they’d be goin up against the Beaners?

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

27. laGrandeTerreur says:

I have to mention it again… last night on HNIC, Subban, shockingly, unbelievably, referred to Québecois fans as “those people.”

I thought we were moving past this kind of thing in the 21st century. I thought our young people were different. Subban of all people should know what it’s like to distanced from the rest of society.

I hope he does the right thing, and is careful never to tread in this realm of xenophobic remarks again. I’m very disappointed, Mr. P.K. I’d hate to see Bergevin pass him up this summer, but with comments like that….

• 24 Cups says:

I think you have your facts wrong or at least your interpretation of those alleged facts.

• Phil C says:

I would need the context of the comments. Link or more details?

• JUST ME says:

It is a reality though . Sometimes i read comments here about the french speaking canadians and i can relate to how P.K. feels about the ones making regretable inuendoes to the color of his skin. Yes xenophobia does exist and makes people say things without even having anything to back up their toughts and without even caring about whether it hurts or not to say those things. Shameful that in 2014 it still does exist but rednecks have the right to breathe i guess.

• laGrandeTerreur says:

…you can say he was being nice, but if it was in reference to a visible minority community, it would be labeled subjectification and condescension.

However, let me be honest here: My whole post is entirely sarcastic. A thought exercise for those who want to constantly refer to people as racists with no evidence, ie SmartDog.

• 24 Cups says:

I get it now.

As someone who grew up in the 50′s and 60′s, I find it amusing and disheartening to see how the term racism/racist gets bandied about these days.

• zephyr says:

holy cow. u must be a union negotiator. ultra sensitive & finding offense everywhere. geez.
      btw, subban is a visble minority anywhere in Canada for those who give a crap about those things.

28. Habilis says:

Just saw Monsieur Marc Bergevin while walking through a mall. I was wearing a Habs hat and sporting a giant, goofy grin as he walked towards me. He nodded at me.

Today is a good day.

29. 24AW says:

Habs win a few consecutive games and some fans are planning a SC parade, some are very easily to fooled!!

30. joeybarrie says:

Reading the comments from the Senators article one thing comes to mind as to why we came back from 3 to beat them in our last 2 games….
    WE HAVE A SIGN IN OUR LOCKER ROOM THAT SAYS ‘NO EXCUSES’

Obviously they dont.
    Cause from officiating to the price of beer it seems as though there are enough excuses from sens fans that its not the TEAM’S fault that they lost and are out of the playoffs.

I like our mentality there and looking forward to the playoffs…

31. 24AW says:

Habs are playing decent hockey right now, ready for the playoffs, we’ll see. I’m hoping they are like all Habs fans but I’ll take the wait see approach like every year since 1993 kinda getting use to a 1-round playoff, than clear their lockers out for another year …

Therrien is an incompetent piece of manure and the sooner he is gone the better this team will be. If Bergevin doesn’t realize that he should be remove ASAP as well.

• laGrandeTerreur says:

Terrible article. Sounds like he wants to make love with Subban, much like the fawning teeny-boppers on here. SUCH A GREAT MAN, we’re so lucky he’s blessed us with his presence! I almost started gagging.

…And there’s no need to apologize for a coach who has the team in 3rd place in the conference, and brought us to the playoffs a years after finishing last. If they don’t make the 2nd or 3rd round by next year, then you have this conversation.

And I wouldn’t reference any articles that compare Subban to Roy, or Gionta (the captain, who has NOT been playing bad for almost TWO MONTHS, as Subban has. Seriously?

double

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Wilde actually makes some very good points. The ones who defend Therrien talk about his record all the time. I´m really getting tired of this. Yes, his record is more than decent but does that make him a good coach? No, it doesn´t. He has a pretty good team that only lacks a second top 4 RD and mabye another decent winger with some (instead of Briere?)

I think a real good coach would get more out of this team. The fact that he calls his team ready for the playoffs is laughable. Really, after being outshot 47-29 by a mediocre team? Yes, winning is great but sometimes this teams reminds me a littte bit of the Leafs earlier this season. This team is better but the performances since the beginning of this year haven´t been as good as the record.

Ready for the playoffs? Therrien still hasn´t figured out that Emelin on the right isn´t good option. He still has no decent blueline on the second PP unit. Emelin – Beaulieu could be one but the latter probably won´t be in when the playoffs beginn. Neither of our first two lines are good defensively and the third? With Briere on it? No… Why not try a shutdown line now? Bournival – Eller – Gionta could be one. I could go on with this…

• laGrandeTerreur says:

Translation: I’m sick of my team being good if they aren’t going to do it the exact way I want. Then a lot of huffing, puffing, and growling.

Point taken.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Exactly the kind of ignorance I´m used to when it comes to this place.

• ffenliv says:

One need only look as far back as the ‘good’ Capitals teams of a few years back. RJ Umberher, then of the Blue Jackets, said they didn’t play ‘the right way’, and he was right. Their offensive style never carried them anywhere in the playoffs.

While I won’t deny the excitement of watching the Habs rack up goals – especially 20/51/67! – it’s not a style of hockey well suited to deep playoff runs.

So, before you try to diminish the opinions of others by mocking them, trying looking for the reason behind them. You might be surprised at what you find.

• zephyr says:

agreed, bob. maybe he should change his name to lagrandebouche.

• frontenac1 says:

I think PK might get timed out because he uses naughty words on the bench. Same reason Plex gets tossed from the face off circle so often.

• PrimeTime says:

Which Habs Coach has the 2nd highest winning percentage to Bowman? MT isn’t going anywhere until the team under performs. PK a ‘great man”?? Get real…..i’m not saying he isn’t but the drool dripping off the writing is just weird.

********************************************************
      “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

• laGrandeTerreur says:

It IS quite weird, isn’t it? Like bizarre, zombie-weird. If PK ever starts a cult, these creeps are in trouble.

• matrags says:

is that a rash or a permanent red ring around your neck , if you could get any more vicious you,d be drolling

• laGrandeTerreur says:

I love it, I’M vicious while we have people here spewing hate and throwing race cards daily. But if it comes back to them, it’s toooooo meeeeean. Cry me a river.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

MT has a winning record and deserves credit for it but he is NOWHERE in Bowman’s league…c’mon.

• JUST ME says:

Everything proves you and Wilde are pieces of…also.

Now if you guys want to be free to speak white why dont`t you invite him in your province home of Brian Burke !

To simply imply that even Bergevin should go with all the moves he has made really does confirm that you are a very knowledgeable expert as much as your home town team !

• Garbo says:

He was picked over other French speaking and English speaking candidates, including Saint P. So clearly not the only reason. Some people just always need something to complain about despite how well things are going.

I’m curious to see what the next issue to bring incessant whining from fans like you after PK is signed this summer.

33. Bugs says:

Honestly, don’t wanna be a bother, but y’all GOTTA see Buddy on the left’s face between 12:40 and 12:44 of last night’s recap; you won’t regret it.

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

Habs. Damn iPhones.

This is what Therrien said last season too before Gabs got promptly destroyed by Ottawa. Therrien should keep his trap shut and focus on making any kind of positive contribution for a change.

36. Old Bald Bird says:

Wilde goes wild on PK and MT. He states his case well, but if you can’t be bothered to read it, please don’t bother to comment about it here.

• Haberoooo13 says:

Great article and I like that he shares blame in the Tremblay-Roy event. Tremblay’s inexperience and Roy’s lack of patience? Being a team guy back then?

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

• Black Horse says:

Therrien is an IDIOT & PK may walk because of it!

• laGrandeTerreur says:

amateurish. same emo junk that’s being spouted here.

• New says:

I am not sure he states his case well. He insults the readership with a remark like “…if you think that what he is thinking is what he tells the media, that it’s all good, then you’re not so bright” That leaves us with the option of being not so bright (mea culpa) or ignoring what PK says to the media and taking Wilde’s wonderings as PK’s real words and PK for a liar, albeit a polite liar. The Wilde way or the highway.

Likewise Tremblay and Roy are not Therrien and Subban. Drawing parallels between a two Cup winning goalie and a rookie coach with an experienced coach and a young D does not clarify, it muddies.

Frankly leaving Subban with that deer in the headlights look out there for it to get worse would have been a Tremblay move (a la Roy incident). The team golfed and relaxed this week and came late to the game. PK panicked, as he can do because he tries to do too much, and got to chill. Insult? Really…only if you are looking to be insulted. Tampa 17:48, Ottawa 13:39. By the second period PK was back on track for his usual minutes.

No Wilde has it backwards. He is looking for the story to fit his views.

PK will be rested for the playoffs and should score a big goal or two. But if he get’s tunnel vision and panics he knows he’ll get a break, that it isn’t all about him. Price lifted his game, PK wants to lift his. All it takes is listening to the coaches instead of fans.

37. JF says:

Lots of discussion here about P.K., his apparently problematic relationship with Therrien, and Therrien’s supposedly harsh treatment of him.

It seems to be received opinion that Therrien does not like P.K. and is trying to rein him in; some even think he’s trying to destroy P.K.’s confidence, and that P.K. will want to leave. I fail to see any evidence for any of this, since all we can know about what actually goes on behind the scenes is the rather antiseptic version on 24CH.

What is clear to me, however, is that P.K. has played some bad hockey since the Olympic break. His turnovers have increased, his dipsy-doodling with the puck has become more obviously useless, he’s making bad decisions and mental errors. It’s also clear that Therrien wants him to simplify his game and that he’s not being all that successful at doing so.

A lot of Subban’s problems might arise simply from immaturity. For any athlete, the mental side of a sport, which includes concentration, focus, and decision-making, takes the longest to master. A good example is Carey Price. He has all the tools to be great, but, until this season, his play was inconsistent and he was subject to momentary lapses in concentration resulting in bad goals. Stéphane Waite has helped him a lot; but, asked about the biggest change in Price this season, Waite said it was maturity. Price is only now reaching the age when most goaltenders become mentally capable of fulfilling their potential. It could be the same for P.K. – that mastery of the mental side of the game will come with maturity.

As for Therrien’s treatment of him, I think he is “harsh,” or perhaps “demanding” would be a better word, with all our young players who have a lot of promise but still a ways to go – Subban, Eller, Tinordi, and others. Benching sometimes helps in that it gives the player time to think over what he did wrong. Other times it doesn’t, and Therrien doesn’t always resort to it. In the last Ottawa game, he remained patient with Lars Eller even though Eller was a -3 in that game; Eller responded by scoring the goal that cued the comeback. Therrien treats veterans differently, partly, I suspect, because he doesn’t expect them to improve. He knows Markov and Bouillon, for example, are going to get stripped of the puck occasionally because both have lost speed. Benching them isn’t going to change this. Therrien demands a lot from P.K. because P.K. is a great talent who will be a top defenceman in, we hope, the not too far distant future.

• Black Horse says:

Therrien’s little darling “DD” gave the puck over for the winning goal vs Columbus.

• laGrandeTerreur says:

actually, that was Tinordi more than Desharnais who cost us that game, who was then benched.

You don’t bench you’re only producing center.

Do you blowhards and hand-wringers watch the games?

• Paz says:

Kind of ridiculous to lump Subban in with Eller and Tinordi.

Subban won a Norris trophy. Last Norris won by a Hab before Subban was Chelios, I believe, going back 25 years or so.

Therein lies the disconnect.

Subban is an elite player, recognized throughout the league as such.

Except Therrien treats him like a young player who is still trying to earn a place on the team, like an Eller or a Tinordi.

Subban should be treated like a young veteran, like Pietrangeo or Karllson. When those guys make mistakes, and they do believe me, their coach does not bench them for entire periods.

Oh, and the 2nd goal, a deflection off a shot from the point. Since when do players get benched when the player they’re guarding manages to deflect a puck.

Therrien does not hate Subban.

Therrien does not BELIEVE in Subban, hence his removal from the penalty kill team. See Chris’s post from earlier where he states brilliantly that Subban is being mismanaged, mishandled by Therrien.

I see Subban’s mistakes. I also see Markov making a terrible pinch that cost s the 3rd goal last night. And I see Markov getting beat on the outside regularly since January. Markov is treated like a veteran.

I see Subban making some dumb mistakes.

Just stop the benching already! It’s not how a Norris Trophy winner should be treated; It’s how Eller and Tinordi should treated.

• JF says:

Subban is a young player who, like the others, has not yet achieved his potential. Winning the Norris was last year. Since the Olympics, he has not been playing like a Norris winner. We can argue about whether benching is effective or not, but the coaching staff have to try to help all the young players improve and keep their mistakes to a minimum.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

It seems that Therrien is easy to dislike and posters here like to blame Therrien for every misstep. I can understand that as I have felt similar. Your post does takes a different tack and makes some sense. Players do need time to fully mature; we forget how young they are. Just like a strong parent who gets mis labelled as mean, a coach who tries to be firm with players will get criticized by fans. I don’t want a coach who rolls over and abdicates his leadership privileges. I do think that Therrien is a little stubborn at times but maybe he has just the right firmness to guide this group through the rough waters. We really can’t argue with his record over the past 2 years. Lots of his moves seem to have worked out well for the team. Price isn’t floundering this year (thanks in large part to Waite..it does seem to take a village) and maybe PK will emerge from these recent trials stronger as well. There are no guarantees that a different coach would be a vast improvement over what we have now. Maybe the team is improving under current leadership and we all should just chill….Thanks for your post JF

24 cups and counting….

38. WindsorHab-10 says:

Ryan McDonagh. 14G 29A +11

Thank you Bob Gainey.

39. The Puckhound says:

Everyone is talking about Vanek…What about Mike “Dream” Weaver over 25 minute last night!. He played an awesome game!
    Keep it up.

Go to the net and keep your stick on the ice!

40. Sportfan says:

If patches plays all the games this season does he get 45-50?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

41. Sportfan says:

Hoping Patches gets to 40 goals! I know a lot of people complain about him being streaky and not using his body, but he’s not LUCIC and i’ll take 30-40 goals a season over him being a Lucy any day.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

42. sheds88 says:

was hoping MT was going to call a time out near the end there.

43. laGrandeTerreur says:

@PrimeTime, i couldn’t agree more. It’s a strange crush people have around here for a player who is very good, but not great.

I’d compare the outrage when he receives any type of reprimand to dozens of hockey mom’s and dad’s screaming because the coach DARED to put their little Subbie on the bench, refusing to acknowledge his recent terrible defensive play. And, like a good delusional hockey parent, every other person in the arena is blamed for EVERY SINGLE mistake – everyone except their little baby.

I like Subban, i have before he was ever on the team, I am not a casual fan. But the coddling the fans want, I have no taste for, and if P.K. really wants it like that, I’m not interested in keeping him. I have a suspicion though he is much more of an adult, and less of a spoiled baby, than people here perceive.

• Ton says:

finally someone with a good perspective……..I think this is what happened………Stevie Y or Babcock informed PK that he was on the team but would not be guaranteed any games……. seems his play spiraled downwards in around the time he was selected! I am glad he’s come down a few notches for comparison to Chelious, Orr, Robinson make me just laugh ! he is good but can be bad……….and hence the problem the good and bad could occur in the shortest of terms……shift, period, game!

• matrags says:

WHOO you must really detest him, wearing that reasonable man mask to hide your contempt

• matrags says:

man I hate when someone tries to. Hide his contempt for someone by evils orating him and then proclaiming how much he allways liked him. Sure you did”..

44. B says:

After 5 playoff games, McCarron has 3 goals and co-leads his team’s forwards in +/- at +5. Only Horvat and Domi have more goals for London, both have 4 goals and were drafted ahead of McCarron last summer.

–Go Habs Go!–

• HabsPooch says:

Is he playing centre? I read that they shifted him over to centre midway through the season and that’s when his play started to take an upward swing…

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Love this stuff the most..the future. You have your eye on these prospects B. I always look forward to your posts. Thanks!

This McCarron Kid might turn out OK, eh? Imagine McCarron, Crisp and Tinordi on the same shift one day. Zach Smith would not be smirking at the Habs forwards like he did last night!

24 cups and counting….

45. WindsorHab-10 says:

Ready for the playoffs or not, it’s going to be sweet seeing Prust, Moen, Weise & Gorges back for the postseason. They’re the sparkplugs that give this team the “turbo” it needs.

46. Black Horse says:

Jumpin Jezzus Tonight!

Therrien said those 5 dreaded words last season as well. They are doomed already!

47. RockinRey says:

I dont think they look ready!

——————————————————————————————————
    —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

• zephyr says:

me neither. lots of sloppy play.

• HabsPooch says:

Their defensive play leaves a lot to be desired…they give up their blue line way too easy.

• RockinRey says:

The defensive play is atrocious. Far to much time spend in their zone. I think that as the season has gone on they have looked worse .

I find it interesting that Eller, PK, Chucky have all regressed and MT has not been able to push buttons with Briere or Bourque

——————————————————————————————————
          —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

48. New says:

One thing I can always count on is for HIO to get my BP up.

Congratulations to the Club. They are ready for the playoffs.

Seven even strength goals in 40 minutes? Being able to sit players not having a good game until they calm down? Making the team goal two weeks before the end of the season? Playing like a team rather than individuals?

Good team, smart and engaged owner and management, hard working and good guys in every department, fine young men on the ice.

Therrien is right, the vast multitudes are wrong. Team is ready.

• CH Marshall says:

I don\t know man… To me, we didn’t look like a defensively sound team all season long. Anyways, i’m glad he thinks we’re ready.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

What would some of these people do if the Habs were playing like the Leafs right now,eh? Half of them would jump out of the window. They are as ready as they are going to be. Top line scary, CP31 awesome..solid 4th line, some good young rookies to look forwaRD TO and the team should be reasonably healthy for the start of the playoffs…Let’s Go Habs!

24 cups and counting….

49. B says:

Emelin last night: 1 assist, 4 hits, 4 blocked shots, +4, 21:17 TOI

–Go Habs Go!–

50. zephyr says:

subban is still very young & is the best dman I’ve seen in a long, long time. he has an offensive flair that is being curtailed right now. max said earlier in the season that mt should just let him be an offensive dman. I agree.
    we better sign him. I’d rather see mb & mt fired than lose subban.
    galchenyuk is playing well. he needs the puck more often & should be the one carrying it out of our zone. he’s a gifted passer with some great moves. don’t play him with pleks. even vanek was wasted there.

• Ton says:

teenage crush on PK…….come on…….best you have seen in a long time…..that’s why he played on our team canada team lol. I have seen Park, Orr, Potvin, Savard, Robinson……..he would be hard pressed to make habs top 100 d of all time! Come on snap out of it!

• zephyr says:

I’ve seen them too. it’s been a long time tho hasn’t it. he’s the best we’ve had since chelios & he’s only 24.
        btw, don’t forget to take ur medication.

• Ton says:

well you may have a hard time evaluation talent………..perhaps its your medication that is clouding your thinking……….and treating your man crush on rock star hockey players rather than seeing realty……..this is realty> Mike Babcock…………..”I need players that I can trust…..one mistake can kill you in a short tournament” he was forewarning us folks…….PK will not play..again PK will not get 8 million dollars a year for Patch, Markov, Price, Vanek, Pleks, surpass him in true value!

• zephyr says:

well, 2 ton, I won’t argue with a guy who can barely write his name in the sand with a stick. i’ll take maxpac’s evaluation. btw, who’s the reigning Norris trophy winner? haha.

• Paz says:

Hey Zephyr…..Ton….is …..not….that….knowledgeable……so I wouldn’t……give…..him…too much……thought……

• ont fan says:

Thought he would be better after Olympics instead Max is, with Vanek. I want to relax when he has the puck and I don’t.

51. B says:

Weaver as a Hab: 13 games, 7 points, +7

–Go Habs Go!–

• WindsorHab-10 says:

As much as I criticized MB for signing him, Weaver has been a very pleasant surprise.

• The_Truth says:

I didn’t understand the signing either and didn’t know Weaver that well. I thought he was like another Bouillon.

MB and his staff proved he knew much better than I and many others. A very nice depth pick-up and Weaver has been outstanding.

• Slackman says:

I assume MB wouldn’t be the GM of the Montréal Canadiens if he didn’t know much better than you and many others.

It is, however, nice to see you guys apologizing for jumping on the negativity-for-negativity’s-sake bandwagon. You guys were wrong. Good on you for acknowledging it.

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

• CJ says:

I said below that I believe Weaver has been our most consistent defenceman since the deadline.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Rick Dudley might have helped with this signing don’t forget. Weaver seems to like being a Hab eh?

24 cups and counting….

52. mattyboom says:

pretty sure Therrien said we were ready for the playoffs last year too

Another “Finishing your Check” hit resulting in Elias being hurt. Fail to understand how this type of hit is considered a good hit.

• piter says:

It seems to me that he intentionally/on purpose tried to guide/hit him into the stanchion. He was pretty square to Elias leading up to the hit, then he started to turn his body, starting with his skates. That’s where it looks to me he kinda guided Elias into the edge of the glass. He probably could of put him over the boards, right into the box, but instead chose not to, and thus, causing the injury. Just like Chara did to Patches, in my mind. Accidentally/on purpose. Sometimes I think players actually aim to try to make the stanchion hit, when they can. Very dangerous.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Not possible – it was Tom Wilson, the dream boy of HIO … couldn’t be anything than great, and what hockey is all about … don’t you feel like apologizing now HiB?

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

54. CJ says:

The Habs are ready for the playoffs and so am I. I just need a nap first. We went for a ride on the ATV this morning, followed by a walk back to the house to get the tractor and unglue the buried machine. All is well that ends well. Much like the game last night, it was messy at times, but it’s the end result that matters.

Looking forward to the game tonight. Hopefully Beaulieu gets his turn. It’s on the kid to put up or shut up so to speak. I have every confidence in his skills and abilities and fully expect him to perform.

Everybody has an opinion on PK, myself included. I’ll add one quick point, as practically every angle has been uncovered, covered and tossed back and forth, up and down….

Based on his play this season, PK is worth $6 to $7 million annually. That is flattering as his play since the Dallas game wouldn’t qualify him as being top 30 in the NHL. Credit is to be awarded for his play last season, but in professional sports, it’s all about what have you done lately. No better example than Scott Gomez. Scott Gomez reference igniting combustion in 3-2-1….

Their are flashes of brilliance and the tools are all there, but the inconsistent play and peewee level breakdowns are a cause for concern. I won’t label these as being serious just yet, because I think they can be resolved with improved confidence, coaching and support in the form of a true number two partner. The return of Gorges might go a long way to helping provide PK the support he so dearly requires.

Regarding his contract, although I believe PK should be in the $6 to $7 million range. That said, PK is worth more to the Canadiens than the Canadiens are worth to PK. PK knows it. Don Meehan knows it and Marc Bergevin knows it. Question is how much more? I’d venture a guess that it’s darn near $1 million annually.

Think there’s pressure now and media scrutiny? Wait till PK becomes the highest paid defenceman in the league. I don’t know that we should go there. Again, because I don’t think PK is worth $8 million doesn’t mean I don’t want him on the team. It’s going to be a poker game this summer. Bergevin will be at the table. He better know when to hold them, fold them, walk away or run. This will define his tenure. Up to this point everything has been pretty easy. Briere, maybe too much term and money, but it’s small potatoes compared to what this will be. Like I said, Mark my words, you think the guy has a spotlight on him now, just wait to see what happens if he ends up with $8-$9 million.

Now, how about that nap. Cheers, CJ

• HabsPooch says:

Pk is one thing, then we have Markov to worry about as well. His camp now has leverage whereas a month ago, Bergevin had the upper hand. I can’t see Markov settling for anything less than 3 years and $18 million…even with the so-called home town discount. He has been our best defenseman since the trade deadline and we don’t have that number two defenseman to take his spot (potentially Beaulieu in a few years). I think Bergevins got his work cut out for him this summer. The playoffs will be the best telling indicator of what happens with them both.

• RockinRey says:

Markov is not getting a raise. Its the same money as he is making now. Term is the issue.

——————————————————————————————————
        —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

• CJ says:

The fact that Markov has been our best defenceman is an indictment on state of our defence overall. From my vantage point he has player two complete games (Ducks, at Boston). IMO, it could be argued that Weaver has been our most consistent defenceman since the deadline. He got off to a brutal start in Phoenix, but has steadily improved since. His game, on the road in Boston, was in itself worth the fifth road pick.

Bergevin is now backed into a corner with the General. Markov holds the cards now. Lastly, if it takes Beaulieu another three to four years to supplant Markov than he is a bust. I get that it takes defenceman longer, but by that point Beaulieu will be 24-25. If he is not ready to be on our 3/4 pair by 25, than I’m sorry, but that’s a first round bust.

I’ve not seen a franchise (not just you Pooch), but a fanbase, who holds their players on such a pedestal. I like Pleks, but the fact that some think he should win the Selke either haven’t watched much hockey or heard of Patrice Bergeron. Pleks has one more year remaining, following next season. I like him, he’s steady, but he’s not getting better. Once again, there will be a major uprising that he deserves another 5 years.

I love our team. The key word is team. Players will come and go. The franchise and it’s best interests are first and foremost.

• HabsPooch says:

That was quite the short nap you took. lol. I was all for trading Markov at the deadline if the return made sense. I was vouching for Toffoli. Now that the ship has sailed, Bergevin is left to either lose him for nothing or sign him on a longer term than necessary. Either way it’s not an enviable position Bergevin has put himself into. I wanted the young kids to be given a chance to prove their high draft worth and gain the experience down the stretch and into the playoffs. Putting any of these players on a high pedestal is counter productive.

• CJ says:

Agreed with everything you said Pooch. IMO, we mismanaged the file on Markov.

Napping with two little boys is wishful thinking. I’m laying down with despicable me on for the boys…..about as good as it gets. Charts, CJ.

• HabsPooch says:

I hope you have those 3d glasses handy…

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Sounds like all is well in your little corner of the world! Good thoughts as always. MB seems to have his work cut out for him. Heavy lies the head…..The off season will be every bit as exciting to me as the playoffs. Can’t wait to see how it all turns out! I do have faith in MB and his group to do the right thing though whatever that is! Enjoy the nap..one of life’s little treasures…

24 cups and counting….

Which NHL coach will get the axe first?

Those hoping to see MT on this list will be disappointed.

56. jimmy shaker says:

I hope the boys didn’t burn all of their bounces in one shot last night.

Marky’s flukey goal
    Vanek’s crazy at the last second bounce up over gryba’s stick for a patch breakaway goal pass.
    Ottawa’s 70+ shots that were fired towards Budashe (shots, blocks, missed net)
    Ottawa’s 2 posts
    And ottawa’s no goal, that seemed like it should’ve been a goal to me.

Shaker out!

57. UKRAINIANhab says:

Hi guys, don’t know how many people follow the OHL to closely but the draft was today. The first overall pick Jacob Chychrun could possibly be the best 1st overall pick ever. Why? The OHL draft is all about when a player started to mature. Now sure, this kid has A lot of skill but one thing that seperates him is that he already looks 25. You tend to see a lot of the smaller kids go towards the end of the draft and those are the kids that you will see end up in the NHL draft. I am more a fan of thr NCAA system to be quite honest.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Just what I thought, he’s Jeff’s son.

Again, minor hockey is getting so expensive, it’s like only the offspring of former pros get the support needed to ‘make it’.

58. jamman says:

Therrien is an idiot. Giving up three goals in the first minutes is not showcasing your ready for the playoffs. If we play like that against the Lightning, were in trouble. I was at the game last night and it was a blast. It was pretty depressing when they buried three quick ones but I knew when Markov scored that weak one we were in business. Loved seeing Gryba get fed by Tinordi, massive reach on his punches. Hate sens fens more than before, my brother and I went to the bar after the game and literally eight of these cowards were taunting us and trying to fight us. Like really grow up sens fans, you suck.

59. jimmy shaker says:

2 points from the wings tonight and a regulation loss from the bolts makes a 3 point difference between them??????? And another W from taranna gets them back into the wildcard, which sucks! Oh well, c’mon boys, big win tonight!

Shaker out!

• 24 Cups says:

A Hab win in regulation or overtime means Detroit can’t catch Montreal. Add a regulation loss by Tampa and Montreal basically has a four point lead over the Lightning based on the ROW standings (Tampa would still have a game in hand).

Toronto needs to be able to make the playoffs until the last night of the season. They then lose, miss the playoffs and get the 14th draft pick instead of a top ten selection.

• jimmy shaker says:

That would be great for taranna to experience that heart break. Thinking Detroit might have a shot at 3rd spot if they get 2 points tonight, and tampa lose. It could come down to the wire for a lot of teams and their positions.

Shaker out!

60. habsfan0 says:

As the Desharnais, Vanek, Pacioretty line is already one of the NHL’s best, and only promises to get better,has this line been given a name yet?

I guess the DVP line for Don Valley Parkway is a nonstarter?

• UKRAINIANhab says:

David & Goliaths.

• habsfan0 says:

I like that moniker!

• sheds88 says:

I like Tic-Tac-Boom !
        not really name related, but neither was ‘legion of doom’.

• RockinRey says:

That a boy. That will do. And by that a boy I mean UKrainianHab

——————————————————————————————————
        —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

• Un Canadien errant says:

Bingo!

Did you come up with that? If so you should trademark it, make a killing on the t-shirt sales.

I tried to come up with something, I was mixing and matching initials, looked at their hometowns, came up snake eyes.

Nice work.

61. punkster says:

To repeat…PK will sign here…the drama is all in the media and the heads of some fans…MT will be gone from the Habs long before PK.

Release the Subbang!!!

62. Paz says:

We have one line ready.

No way, I repeat, no way, Plekanec should be centering Galchenyuk and Gallagher in the playoffs.

That is expecting way too much defence from the kids and they have never delivered in the defensive zone.

Plekanec should be with Gionta and Bournival.

That is an excellent line. It worked well earlier. Great speed, great defence, some offensive contribution as well.

• naweed235 says:

Also, at this point, i’d even consider sitting Galchenyuk in favor of Bourque and Briere.

• 24 Cups says:

That would mean Briere between Galchenyuk and Gallagher and a 4th line of Prust/Eller/Moen. I can live with that as long as the 3rd line gets sheltered minutes and zone starts.

Eller with Gionta is starting to become a pretty dependable line from a defensive perspective, no?

• punkster says:

Yes and when MT says ” we’re ready” I think he’s fooling himself.

The PP is dismal, the continued dependence on dump and chase, the bizarre line juggling like you mention, all point to a coaching staff who are at times befuddled.

Ya, ya…playoffs, winning record, etc. etc…the Habs are where they are today because, first and foremost, they have a talented group of players…imagine if they had better coaching.

Release the Subbang!!!

• The_Truth says:

There is no dump and chase, that is a myth. The team carries the puck in often and when there is no option, they dump.

Bizarre line juggling? The lines have been pretty stable for 10 games now. If something is not working, you change it. Every coach in the league do it. I don’t see the coaching staff as being befuddled at all. They seem to realy know what they are doing and have a good feel for their players.

The PP does suck and there are some defensive issues. A first round victory is still very much a toss up.

• The Jackal says:

I half agree and half disagree.
        I think we are ready for the most part, but the PP is a WTF situation right now. We need the PP to click again and it’s nuts that the coaching staff has not figured it out yet.

But I do think the Habs have been coached well overall this year. Could it be better? Yeah, but what can’t be better ideally speaking? Price, the first line, Pleks, Gio, Prust, Weise, White and some D-men have been very godo for us this year, but the a big part of the core of our young talent – Eller, Chucky, Gally, and PK – has not been playing up to their potential this year. I think the team has done well adjusting to that slide and playing some solid hockey, so props to the coaches for that.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Why not? That line is producing goals….

• RockinRey says:

Gomez!

——————————————————————————————————
      —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

63. Prop says:

I only managed to catch the first period over the radio as I was heading out to band practice. From what I gathered, Subban’s head wasn’t in the game and became a liability. Norris trophy winning or not, if you’re playing like crap and not helping the team then yes, he deserves the benching.

____________________

Kyle Quincey Danny DeKeyser
    Brian Lashoff Jakub Kindl

Goaltenders:

Jonas Gustavsson (starting)
    Jimmy Howard

Scratches: Joakim Andersson & Todd Bertuzzi

Injuries: Jonathan Ericsson (finger), Daniel Cleary (knee), Stephen Weiss (groin), Henrik Zetterberg (back), & Mikael Samuelsson (alien abduction)

• 24 Cups says:

Gustavsson is 5-2-1 with a 2.16 GAA, .918 SV% in 9 career appearances against Montreal.

Detroit’s 3rd line is a great kid line. Al of these guys can fly down the ice. None are high draft picks, as they were selected 21st, 35th and 60th.

Just as the Habs lineup got a big jolt with the addition of Vanek, the same holds true for Detroit with Datsyuk.

Suddenly all three lines for Detroit are big scoring threats. Provided the youngsters who stepped up in Datsyuks absence don’t take a step back, that lineup is starting to look real good.

• 24 Cups says:

Gerry – The Detroit injury situation has probably has been a blessing in disguise. The main objective is to still try and make the playoffs but next year the team can clean out some over the hill veterans and go with prospects who have shown they are ready for prime time.

BTW, just got the news that the golf course is still snow covered (plus there’s a hell of a lot of frost in the ground) and that a realistic time line for a spring opening is April 30th.

Apparantly Royal Niagara opened today, can’t believe that, would think the course gets destroyed at this time of year. I go to Myrtle Beach in 2 weeks, hopefully when I return the courses are all ready.

Detroit may indeed have retooled on the fly without a tank. Impressive organization.

• 24 Cups says:

If you open your course ahead of time you will make some extra coin. However, the frozen turf and greens will take a beating. Not to mention that guys will want to cart. You really run the risk of screwing up your course. Sad to say, but the industry is hurting badly so I guess some operators feel they have to chase any business they can get.

Statistically speaking, every two days one USA golf course closes it’s doors or goes bankrupt. In the UK, Asian money is moving in and buying up local British courses that can’t break even.

BTW, check out the cover of this month’s new Golf Digest.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Thats wierd. The greens will be Garbage come later in the season. I know ClubLink is not opening for a long time. Heck, Rattlesnake might not open till June.

Yes lots of hoopla over the recent Golf Digest cover, evidently a bunch of the ladies from the LPGA tour are not impressed, having said that, I was impressed.

• frontenac1 says:

Gulbis and Creamer haven’t said anything so who gives a sh#t? Lots of Meow.

65. Haberoooo13 says:

Although I dislike the Sens (I live in Ottawa), my dislike for Bruins and Leafs is more deeply-rooted.
    That being said, I wouldn’t be too upset to see Leafs sneak into 8th and face Bruins. I think they can give Bruins more of a run than C-Bus….except for goaltending!!!

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

66. BJ says:

Following up on the previous thread @Ton re. your post:
    My thoughts on PK….were running a business here…..were winning without him making major contributions……think about it….how things have changed. He was one of the 9 D’s picked by Babcock but did not play…….I will give him this he’s one of the 10 best D’s in the league…….interesting if there were a draft for D’s whether he would be picked in the top 10. There is a trust problem with his coaches…..he cannot be trusted on the ice……that’s it that’s all………..what’s his worth…….what he is worth to your team at the present moment is the answer……..we got plenty of D talent and you don’t want to disrupt your salary structure on the team……Price makes 6.5 million and he is no doubt your best player on this team. It cannot be debated…..Price is your MVP. Subban was a second round pick for a reason…..high risk player with high rewards but he can hurt you. He will go for higher but his worth to me is 4.5 million per year. Unlikely he will accept this because he has a grand ego………Subban will be gone…..this will not end good.

You could be right on that not ending well. Bergevin might be thinking that someone offers 8 M + per season, I believe it represents 4 first round picks. I would assume depending on who that team might be a lower tier team (it might be worth not matching) on the other hand matching 8 M send what kind of a message to Carey at 6.5 and Max at 4.5, and Vanek also looking at big $$$$$$$. So its going to be a tough call on Subban. Worst case scenario is arbitration and he gets a two year payday and then heads out of Dodge. To follow……

67. Bash says:

Injury report?
    Prust
    Moen
    Gorges
    Weiss

Beyond the usual “out day to day with a body injury…”

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

68. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Everybody is reposting…so should I…LOL

Last night’s game was so much like the last one except the 3 goal lead started right off the bat instead of the 3rd period. It is as if the Habs woke up and said to themselves “We’re losing to THESE guys???”. I thought the Ottawa D was better…guess I was wrong.

As for PK drama, we won’t know the real story until the summer. As for now, PK and MT/MB are both equally responsible for what is going on. PK is making mistakes defensively. It looks like he suddenly falls asleep sometimes or his “batteries” just drain. It is weird to see a guy so strong look so unbalanced sometimes. Anyway, if MT/JJ are telling him to play a simpler game, he should just do as he is told…that’s his job. If PK doesn’t like the style, he can tell his agent to get him out of here in the off-season. It is the same thing for us at our jobs. If we don’t like it, we still fulfill our responsibilities until we find something better.

As for MT, if he thinks benching PK is doing himself any favors…good luck with that. Maybe MT needs to examine his messaging. As for MB, he needs to look at who PK will play with going forward. Other young superstar D-men like Doughty and Pietrangelo have not played with guys like PK have played with (minus Markov). Is Gorges the guy going forward? I don’t know. We will see. One thing for sure, the key young D men in this organization have not improved this year. MB need to study why is that the case and make the necessary adjustments. If Beaulieu, Tinordi, etc. become busts, the Habs will not improve going forward.

69. Strummer says:

Go Jets! Go Jakets! Go caps! Go Dev’s!

____________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

Reposting,

After last seasons loss in the playoffs to the Sens, I was really starting to feel like they had te Habs number. These last two games against the Sens felt great, regardless of how sloppy the team was yesterday, we scored 7 goals on them.

The Anderson magic is gone and I believe these wins have erased much of the advantage the Senators were beginning to have over the Habs.

Now lets beat Detroit tonight, perhaps the Lightning lose tonight and we get a step closer to securing home ice. Home ice would be nice, but more importantly I want to see this team playing well heading into the playoffs.

Keep the mojo going boys!

71. PrimeTime says:

Why are so many fans infatuated with Subban? Because he is a lightning rod to the media. I like him as a Hab and hope he signs with them because i think he is a dynamic player who will become a better Dman as he matures. But seriously, many posters act like teeniebobber girls over him. Do they really think GM’s would trade Keith, Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo straight up for him? Not a chance! PK is a fan favorite in Mtl but not nearly as much around the league.

********************************************************

72. Strummer says:

They didn’t look playoff ready in the first period last night.
    I’m looking at you P.K.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

73. jimmy shaker says: