Well-deserved day off for Habs on Monday

After a super Super Bowl weekend for the Canadiens – with wins over Buffalo and Ottawa – coach Michel Therrien gave his team a well-deserved day off on Monday.

With a 6-2-0 record through the weekend, the Canadiens sat in fourth place in the Eastern Conference standings but were only one point behind the first-place Boston Bruins (6-1-1), who will be the visitors at the Bell Centre on Wednesday night (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN 690 Radio).

After eight games last season, the Canadiens had a 1-5-2 record.

After Wednesday’s game, the Canadiens travel to Buffalo to face the Sabres on Thursday night and they play host to the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday.

The Canadiens will practice at 11 a.m. Tuesday in Brossard.

If you missed the RDS premiere of the new 24CH docu-reality series, the English version will be shown tonight at 8 p.m. on TSN.

Here are links to some stories to keep you busy as we wait for the puck to drop Wednesday night:

Habs edge Sens for weekend home sweep, by Brenda Branswell

Bergevin puts a human face on Habs, by Jack Todd

Pacioretty quickly bounces back for Habs, by Dave Stubbs

Afternoon delight for Habs’ Price, by Pat Hickey

Senators burned by officials in loss to Canadiens, by Ottawa Citizen

Former NHL ref Kerry Fraser’s TSN blog on goalie interference calls

Thornton, Paille back on the ice for Bruins, by Boston Herald

Man you love to hate: Gary Bettman’s 20 NHL years, by Stu Hackel of Sports Illustrated

Victoria woman battling cancer thanks Roberto Luongo for saving her life, by Vancouver Sun

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

1. rhino514 says:

Anyone realize what a great opportunity this would be for a few of the habs players to have a mock fight with Subban and then finish the skit by saying “where´s PJ, i thought he was in the room?”
    It would just make not only Stock but the whole national commentators platform look completely inane :)

2. Ghosts of the Forum says:

CBC has a poll of who should be on the Olympic team going on their website. Just forwards right now. Have to think, all biases aside, that Carey will be a frontrunner for the starting job, no?

Luongo, Fleury, Ward…(surely not Brodeur??)…I don’t see any of them being as steady as Carey.

3. HabFanSince72 says:

Propwash – or anyone else – if I install mediahint and have a Canadian rdio account, will it still allow me all the US content?

Doesn’t it go by the account origin?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

4. Steeltown Hab says:

Armstrong’s turn to sit a game, not bringing enough on the 4th IMO, also having Prust, White, and Moen I don’t see what toughness we’re lacking really. Pac, Bourque, Cole all have size to hold their own also.

Eller on the 4th gives us another C in the lineup, a quality PK and PP option, and can rotate spots with Prust if we’re down a couple and looking for an offensive spark.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• SmartDog says:

I agree about Armstrong. He doesn’t look like a guy fighting to revive his reputation after a buy-out.

Re. toughness, I agree with the majority yesterday who answered my question about what we most need – a tough SOB on the back end. Sure we have a pretty good committee of grit back there but without either a guy who’s a bit of a monster (Wiz) or who has the wingspan of a dragon (Gill), we’re more vulnerable when the battle really starts. Consider our three toughest D – Subban is too valuable to be fighting even in a heated situation, Franky, while tough and plenty willing is just not a match (and older now too), and Emelin can’t fight because of the plate in his face.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

5. Dr.Rex says:

PJ Stock is a dream patient for any psychologist. Here we have a soon to be middle aged man who has yet to develop in many areas. His diaper association is indicative of a man child who is screaming for help but is too scared to ask for the needed help. His irresponsible attacks on the Habs show he takes satisfaction from being an outsider and may be using this me against them mentality as a way to fight back to all of those who did him wrong in the past. He clearly was not well liked as a child and even his coworkers and associates seem to have a tough time with him now. But most importantly he is showing signs of intense sexual confusion. By being controversial about topics he cannot win and attempting to sabotage others are classic signs of someone not comfortable in their own skin. This can be a sign of sexual confusion or simply not being comfortable in his own skin. Many go the route of a gender change. I am more worried for this lost man child then I am a critic. He is alone and scared right now.

6. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Think the Oilers would be interested in Weber?

• Dr.Rex says:

Yes, but they have more interest in Eller and Bourque.

• Kooch7800 says:

why would the habs move Eller or bourque?

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Hopefully we don’t have an interest in getting rid of either of them though!

I know Edmonton needs D, but Weber is an offensive guy, not sure that’s what they’d want. But it’s doing him and us no good having him sit in the pressbox every night. I imagine he’ll be dealt at some point. I was thinking Paajarvi this morning, but that’s probably a lot to ask for Weber. Though he, like Weber, has been bouncing in and out of the lineup a lot in his NHL career. Wonder how high of a pick we’d have to throw in the deal.

Ahhh, armchair GMing…

7. Gally27 says:

Habs 3 Bruins 2 tomorrow

8. Sportfan says:

First wanted to say thank you to all the people on HIO who check out my blog it means a lot.
    2nd here is my newest piece, its kind of a trial run I am doing with this article. If you have any feedback let me know!

9. The Dude says:

When BJ Stock put the word out of troubled waters between PK and Gorges “Stubb’s most fav Habs” I knew not only an article was a coming from Stubb’s but a War of WORDS that PJ can’t win with a vocabulary that’s less than my Golden Retriever… :)

10. habstrinifan says:

Why the hate for PJ Stock today? Is it based on his remarks last game as the team filed in and we saw a somewhat ‘isolated’ P.K. and also similar video in the room.

Argue with his interpretation of that video but others around the league agreed with him. I listened to TSN690 overnight and this morning and there seemed to be a denunciation of PJ Stock by Stubbs which Dreger (or is it Friedman I cant keep track of who’s who on the TV anymore) responded to in defense of PJ.

I see HabinBurlingon and others rile at PJ while lauding Stubb. Stubb does have a great track record as a journalist with much greater repute and credentials than PJ. But rememeber, while it was Stubbs who highlighted Therrien’s ‘better person remark’ he did this rather late. In fact, if I may say so myself, much later than a couple posts I made on those very comments of Therrien. I think the MTL media have been very hesitant on this issue.

They do not have to ignore P.K’s transgression… rumours of lateness to team meetings etc. But they cannot also ignore the almost universally acknowledged strangeness in the behaviour of the ‘team’ towards P.K… at least based on public statements and conduct.

I dont see the need to call PJ names on this one.

There must be something I am missing.

• christophor says:

Media aren’t excused from avoiding slander or character assassination.

PJ said “it’s tough for Subban to come to the rink everyday when he knows everyone on the bench hates him”. If it’s baseless, this isn’t the kind of statement we brush off as media opinion, and the evidence was literally non-existent.

PJ showed a clip of Subban walking into the Bell Centre alone, which is almost always the case, since he lives close by. And he showed a clip of Subban listening to his iPod with his hood up in preparation for the game, which is, again, the norm for him. Somehow this preparatory behavior suggests he’s isolated while the same kind of behaviour from others is ignored: e.g. Eller sitting in the corner with his eyes closed and Plek hunching over quietly. Point is, everyone has their own way to prepare for a game and many (or most) do it alone. PJ claims that his time in NHL dressing rooms provides him with insight? Well, then he should know this.

Stubbs was perfectly right to call him on this. In fact, if some media people were standing up earlier for PK, this narrative about him might not have spun out of control – a narrative that builds on itself and not tangible evidence.

• ed lopaz says:

a narrative that has been supported by many of the regulars here at HIO, as well.

• christophor says:

True.

Oddly enough, however, the hating-Subban thing didn’t migrate to HIO until Subban’s contract negotiations cut into the season.

At that point, people who had been defending him suddenly reinterpreted all the events that took place over the last 2+ years.

Weird.

I hope it was really just fans so upset that one of the most important Habs was missing that they became temporarily delusional. But maybe that’s just hoping.

• christophor says:

In response to everything else you added to this post after I replied, I say it’s not really relevant, at least not to the case made by Stock on HNIC.

Anyway, the most that the ACTUAL evidence suggests is that Subban ruffles some feathers on some days, which I expect because he’s an in-your-face-person. But that’s more well-intended obnoxiousness than anything else. He annoys his teammates more than most others do – so what? He’s shown nothing more than an extremely great character that is also upfront – great. This annoys some less upfront teammates sometimes – great. Teammates hate and disclude him? Ridiculous.

The emphasis from management on character stuff is more about how important Subban is for the future than anything else. If it were some 6th defenceman or 4th liner, they wouldn’t try to smooth out the wrinkles, and this is precisely because he’s central going forward. Whether I agree with this approach is beside the point.

• B says:

Did you not read Stubbs’ article? Your “isolated” as the team filed in comment (the same one Stock tried to suggest) is addressed in that article. The Habs ALL walk from their cars to the dressing room at different times after they arrive for home games. It is not like they are all coming off a bus together but isolating Subban. They don’t stand around and wait in the garage for all to arrive before walking in. There was nothing unusual or untoward there, certainly nothing to use as fodder for suggesting the team hates Subban.

–Go Habs Go!–

• habstrinifan says:

Reread Stubbs article. Especially the final paragraphs where he basically admits the uneasy relationship between P.K and essentially everybody else.

• rhino514 says:

Because arriving at the game in your car unaccompanied (which most of the players do) and listening to some music for a couple of minutes alone in the dressing room are an absurd basis for suggesting pk subban has an estranged relationship with his team.
      I totally agree PK should probably talk a bit less and and that, being young, is abit cocky and has some things to learn, but any suggestion that he is a rotten egg or disruptive to thr team is irresponsible and is based on rumours pure and simple. There has been no documented proof, not even one instance, where he has done anything disruptive to the team.
      And on top of it for Stock to respond he knows the truth because he has “research” and is “in the room” (which room?, the room 12 years ago?).
      Stubbs basically just said in his article “you are not suggesting, but flat out saying that the team has a problem with this kid, based on nothing more than the rumours occasioned by the contract standof, and i am here to say that PK hangs with his teamates every day” and Stock´s way of responding was “i was once a hockey player so my opinion is more valuable than yours, and the Gazette doesn´t have real journalists anymore”…He was listeneing to his walkman alone!”
      On a much larger level these types of occurrences are proof that HNIC is an egocentris institution and is disassociated from the culture of the montreal canadiens and of Quebec in general; they don´t care about ruffling the feathers of anyone outside of Ontario .They don´t see the Canadiens as a good ol´canadian team and don´t think twice about starting a controversy.
      I´m an english canadian, but i thoroughly enjoy the quality of french canadian commentary and yes, l´anti-chambre because it is truly ours, and when i listen to HNIC i feel like we are Toronto´s poor sisters. Who are these over the top american-style attention-grabbing, ratings-seekers who claim to represent our country?
      What i would say to all of you who are distressed by such events is that you should just ignore these guys. Watch Grapes just for a laugh and just ignore the rest. We have the the most storied franchise in the NHL and a much more vibrant city than their supposed hockey mecca.

11. frontenac1 says:

Watching Kessel last night,and then Gomez in the late game, the similarity was undeniable. Both skate like hell to avoid contact and shoot from the perimeter. Even the Toronto crew were saying that Kessel needs to get dirty. Speaking of the Laffs and their fans, my buddy the Laff fan , also can”t stand PJ .Makes you wonder if PJ has photos of some media execs.

12. Les Canayens says:

What will be Michel Therrien’s shelf life this time around? It’s too early to judge but will he outlast the approx. 2 seasons stay the last coaches had? Remember Carbo and Martin both had success early in their tenures.

• Kooch7800 says:

I like MT’s system much better than JM’s

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• habstrinifan says:

I really believe that MT has made a HUGE progression as a coach. I have my issues re other matters but MT has added real coaching stratagem to his skillset while losing some of his coaching by bombast. Demeres for instance was not a great strategy coach but used ‘positive’ bombast(if there is such a thing).

I want to hold my opinion re player ice-time/deployment handling etc but I think this Therrien is gonna be marvelous and therefore have a long tenure here.

• rhino514 says:

A coach´s shelf-life on average is 3- 4 years, probably around 3 in Mtl. I don´t think that will change with Therrien
      That doesn´t meean in any way he is a bad coach. Whatever the strategies a coach uses, the team stops responding to it after a while. There are only a handful of guys in the entire league who can command respect on a longterm basis.

13. habsnyc says:

Is there a way to trade Kaberle at the deadline? If he is bought out during the offeason, his salary does not count against the cap. Can Montreal trade him with the money necessary to buy him out so that the team that gets him is really only renting him for the playoffs? Maybe that way, Montreal could get a draft pick or prospect.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

14. AllHailTheFlower says:

Thank you very much Trini, I appreciate it!

15. ed lopaz says:

@ Bill, everyone who watches Duclair is impressed because he is the whole package. His speed, his hands, his nose for the net and natural ability to score and create, are all first class.

Most of all, Duclair is a 3 zone player – so you get an excellent back check out of him and very efficient work in the defensive zone – that shows a great attitude and work ethic.

Mantha is very big, and I would say his speed and acceleration are question marks.

I think he might be closer to 215 then he is 200 lbs, and he is about 6 ft 4.

16. Lafleurguy says:

Even in the last two playoff years that Habs qualified, I didn’t feel the greater degree of confidence I have with this team.

Jagr had flashes of his youthful brilliance last year but all-in-all, I don’t think he improved the Flyers.

The last time the Habs were “buyers” in prepping for playoffs was the acquisition of Dominic Moore for a 2nd to the Panthers (did I forget a more recent trade?). I think the core for the regular season is set. Amazing depth compared to past 8+ years (Black Aces candidates Eller, Armstrong, Moen instead of Palushaj and Leblanc, and Kaberle instead of St. Denis). Habs very well may be buyers at this season’s trade deadline and a player like Jagr would look attractive at that point in time.

“May you live in interesting times.”

So while I share your sentiment in being more confident with this group, I presently don’t believe the team is good enough to warrant becoming a buyer. Based on past buys, we gave up a 1st for Tanguay, and various amounts of 2nd rounders for the Wiz, Moore etc..

Given the depth of this upcoming draft, I would rather we keep all our picks rather than get short term relief.

The purpose and goal is indeed the cup, but jumping the gun early on that pursuit could prove futile this early.

We have good prospects coming up the pipeline exactly where we need them (on defence).

But I supposed we shall see how this team is doing in 20 games time.

• Lafleurguy says:

You’re accurate in assessing current team’s chances, but being giddy is fun once in a while!
        P.S. feel like shootin’ the breeze this AM, so not going to look it up, but I think Gainey gave up a lst AND a 2nd for Tanguay.

• Kooch7800 says:

100% agree Burly. This team is still really building for the future no matter what happens in the standings. We do have some solid youth but this season being a shortened one we should actually be looking to get rid of some guys like Weber, Kabby for draft picks (if anyone will take them). The team should for the most part should just play hard all season and let the chips fall where they may.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• 24 Cups says:

There is an excellent chance that Nashville and Calgary will not make the playoffs this year. In fact, Calgary’s pick could be around the 33 mark which is Collberg territory.

DON’T TRADE ANY PICKS.

• habsnyc says:

I’d rather be a seller of veterans at the deadline. If Montreal clears more salary, they will be in position to benefit from the movement caused by next season’s cap decline. The goal should be to create room for 2013-14 by trading veterans. Trading Plekanec, Cole, Bourque or Kaberle for your roster ready players would free salary. I would not trade all of them, but one or two deals would allow Montreal to import a young stud from a team with salary cap problems.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Yeah, I’m in agreement with those saying that no picks should be traded. Let Timmins pick 4 times in the Top 60. Then the Habs will have the 2012 draft wave of forwards coupled with the 2013 draft wave. The Habs could be in a very good position in the future.

Besides, the key positions on the team are set. I don’t see how the Habs could upgrade without it costing waaay too much for little/marginal gain.

• Cal says:

This is an “iffy” reply.
        IF the Habs are top 3 in the East and top 5 or 6 overall, team might a buyer. I am not a believer in adding much for the playoff run. The only time it really helped was long ago with the Islanders’ acquisition of Butch Goring. Lately, Columbus sending Carter to LA actually balanced the Kings out.
        IF the Habs are in that top 5 in the league place, a solid Dman would be good insurance. Who that would be is another story, but sizeable and physical like O’Byrne wouldn’t be a bad thing.

I’m happy just thinking the Habs could be top 5 this year. It would almost make up for last season and the bleeping lockout.

17. Propwash says:

PJ Stock is flat out useless. CBC really is scraping the bottom of the barrel to have this guy on as a commentator.
    He hasn’t been in a dressing room since Moby Dick was a minnow, yet he claims he knows what happens? This guy needs to get his head checked, either by therapist or into the boards.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

18. Strummer says:

Ex Habs loom large in the Ducks/sharks match.
    Koivu scored and Souray pots the winner off Gomer’s stick.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

19. commandant says:

I wouldn’t worry about attack from CBC and AntiChambre’s resident court jester. Hockey fans (especially habs fans) know Dave Stubbs is great journalist. He has integrity and has always remained unbiased.

Great coverage, with interesting stories, and real inside information.

Cheers to Dave…. don’t sweat it.

If my stuff ever reaches the level where I have 1% of the respect Dave has, I’ll know that I’ve done a good job.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Speaking for myself, I completely realize that Stubbs has more knowledge of the Game and Habs than PJ will ever have, having said that, you cannot deny that the HNIC platform is probably the biggest hockey soapbox in the country.

For PJ to provide verbal diarrhea on that program and not be held accountable in the least, is ridiculous.

I would go a step further, but we have had this discussion before and while I don’t agree with your position on HNIC as it relates to taxpayers money, I wont re-open that.

• commandant says:

I think to some extent I’ve been misinterpreted on that debate.

I still think CBC has a responsibility to provide unbiased coverage. I don’t feel that they are meeting it (though getting rid of Milbury was a start).

I realize that they will probably never get rid of Cherry as he’s the cash cow, and would need to voluntarily retire to be off the air.

Guys like Healy, Stock, Craig Simpson, and Gary Galley are all clowns IMO. I don’t like them.

We need more guys like Friedman, Weekes, Hrudey, etc..

This is because they are the national Canadian Broadcaster of the NHL, with a national TV deal and thats the reason why I think they should be unbiased. They aren’t sportsnet or leafs tv whose contract means they provide regional leafs coverage.

I just don’t think the taxpayer dollars are the main issue here, i think thats a red herring in this whole thing, as HNIC is not taking in taxpayer dollars, it is actually a profitable show on CBC.

I think if CTV took over a National TV Contract they would need to provide the same unbiased coverage I’m asking for. And I expect CBS, NBC, Fox etc… to provide unbiased coverage on NFL as they are national broadcasters, not one team.

We agree in principle, just not on the reasons why the unbiased coverage is necessary.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Kooch7800 says:

PJ stock is as good of a journalist as he was as a player….he sucks

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

Dave_Stubbs (to Hab fans) on Twitter late last night: “I’ve worked 37 years in journalism to earn my reputation & credibility. Neither has been dented tonight. Thanks to all for your passion”.

I’ve met Dave Stubbs in person and I can tell you he comes from the old world of journalism. His rock solid value system based on integrity speaks for itself.

On the other hand, that bowtie is a totally different subject:-)

21. 44har48 says:

LMAO…PJ Stock. I doubt Dave Stubbs even thinks twice about the garbage that spews out of his trap.

He is such a laughing stock (no pun intended) to listen to, and adds 0 value to any discussion. I think he fits right in at CBC, that entire HNIC broadcast has become a joke – I used to love watching HNIC, mostly for nostalig reasons, remembering the Habs winning all those games and Cups as a young boy with Dick Irvin and Danny Gallivan bringing me the action. Now, I welcome the other teams broadcast any time I can get it, because they are usually more knowledgeable, can keep up with the play of the game, who is on the ice, and they don’t hate the Canadiens like BC.

Some posters were lamenting the fact that MB didn’t sign Jagr. If they did, Gallagher would be spending the entire year in Hamilton (which wouldn’t be the end of the world). The difference in salary would be 3.6M. That’s a lot of coin for a 3rd line player. You might also have to bump Cole or Gionta down to another line (Jagr isn’t going to be happy playing 3rd line minutes witha rookie centre and a grinder). Logic would have it that Jagr would play with Pleks so that means your captain is now on the 3rd line making 5M a year.

Jagr usually plays for the highest bidder and Dallas was in a bit of a tight spot. After suffering through the Kovalev debacle, I’m not sure I would be ready to tackle a 40 year old Jagr. Gallagher may eventually hit the wall later in the year but he’s an asset that could eventually pay decent dividends. Jagr is strictly a mercenary these days.

23. Hobie Hansen says:

People are starting to get pretty jacked up, myself included, for tomorrow night’s game against the hated Bruins.

I’m pretty sure Therrien, the great guy that he is, will be telling the boys to stick up for each other when required but don’t go looking for it. There are very few teams that will come out on top against Boston by being the physical aggressors.

I’d be surprised if Lucic and company don’t try to impose their will over the Canadiens. Mainly because the Bruins are well aware that the Habs have a new attitude this season and they’d love to squash it, especially in Montreal.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that if Prust or Moen has to go with Lucic that they hang in there OK and we don’t see one of them laying on the ice as Lucic dusts of his hands heading to the box.

One area where we have an advantage is open ice hits. Subban and Emelin are going to be primed and ready to take someone’s head off at the blue line.

Oh, I hope we win the game to, which I think we’ve got a decent shot at.

At the risk of beating a dead horse or in this case a brain dead enforcer, Point #2 by PJ shows how little he knows about sports media and why he shouldn’t be on a broadcast, acting as a former player turned journalist/mouthpiece.

“U better have research to back u”

Everything Dave Stubbs writes when it comes to off ice players comments opinions etc.. has to be truthful in order for him to remain effective in his role with the Gazette and the team. If Dave starts writing details etc. that are not true the players find out and lose all trust in talking to Dave aside from “we gave 110% today”.

Dave has shown over the years the judgement and wisdom to write enough of what is really going on in the room to give the fans an idea but still protect the players trust.

For PJ to question whether or not Stubbs has research to back him is beyond preposterous. Perhaps Elliot Friedman can show a spine and next week provide a counter argument to that Diaper wearing piece of crap PJ for the national audience to watch.

Thankfully to the Habs in the room and to most Habs fans we read Dave Stubbs and don’t listen to PJ Stock, but he does get an awfully big soapbox to stand on every week.

I almost am willing to sign on to twitter just to send him some messages, but think I will instead send emails to the CBC…. like that will help. (sigh)

• Lafleurguy says:

This the most agitated we’ve seen you, Burly.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• habstrinifan says:

I thought it was PJ that was being accused of having no research.

No PJ is accusing Stubbs, saying u better have research to back what u say, and further infers he is in the room and knows better.

Of course someone needs to remind PJ Stock that being in an outhouse with Milbury doesn’t really qualify as the room we are discussing of importance.

• von says:

No doubt, Stock is a sorry excuse for an “analyst”. Nothing like continuing to hype a media-driven story from a couple of clips of P.K. walking into the Bell Centre and in the dressing room.

I give Elliotte Friedman a pass for sticking up for him, though. What’s he going to do? Trash the guy he works with every week?

All in all, I’ll take Dave’s professional opinion on the situation any day over a guy who simply lives in Montreal and played a measly 20 games for the Habs and thinks he knows the dressing room.
      _________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

• habsguy says:

Elliot Friedman doesnt have a spine !!!!!

I probably shouldn’t have phrased that way, but he generally places accuracy ahead of everything, and I have to believe he knew that piece by PJ was a load of Kife, just would enjoy watching him call him on it. But I know that won’t happen.

25. HabFanSince72 says:

Patrice Brisebois 13th best all time Habs defenceman? I don’t think so.

Off the top of my head, and without googling, I can list:

Serge Savard, Larry Robinson, Guy Lapointe, Doug Harvey, Emile Bouchard, Jacques Laperriere, JC Tremblay, Chris Chelios, Andrei Markov, Rod Langway, Mathieu Schneider, Eric Desjardins, Sheldon Souray, Rick Green, Petr Svoboda, Craig Ludwig, PK Subban.

I’d even be tempted to place Craig Rivet and Stephane Quintal ahead of ol’ Patrice.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

26. Kooch7800 says:

Saw a great picture this morning from a Leaf Fan….they are now calling him Phil Gomez and have a leafs Jersey with 81 on it with Gomez’s name…LOL

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

27. Haberoooo13 says:

With Bruins in town, will White be back in? If yes, I hope it’s not at Eller’s expense. Should be Armstrong. Not that he’s playing bad, Eller is playing considerably better though.

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

28. rhino514 says:

Anyone notice how the interference call is being interpreted on the other extreme now?
    Now, if a guy throws the puck ahead of him the Dman has to get totally out of the way and give him access to catch up to the puck.
    It should me more like in football or in soccer where there can be some contact between the Dman and the offensive player as long as the Dman has turned his back and is making an effort to get to the puck.
    I´m all for the Dman not being able to just hold out his hands and block the incoming player, but I think now you will not see many players try to beat one on one if they can just flip the puck and no one can get in their way.

• Phil C says:

The rules of hockey are the same in that you are allowed to defend your body position. From rule 56:

A player is allowed the ice he is standing on (body position) and is not required to move in order to let an opponent proceed. A player may “block” the path of an opponent provided he is in front of his opponent and moving in the same direction. Moving laterally and without establishing body position, then making contact with the non-puck carrier is not permitted and will be penalized as interference. A player is always entitled to use his body position to lengthen an opponent’s path to the puck, provided his stick is not utilized (to make himself “bigger” and therefore considerably lengthening the distance his opponent must travel to get where he is going); his free hand is not used and he does not take advantage of his body position to deliver an otherwise illegal check.

29. AllHailTheFlower says:

Could someone please tell me how you make a post where a link to an article appears as a clickable line of text in a red font?

30. Habfan10912 says:

9,508 at the Coyotes game last night. Quebec Remparts averaging 10,908 per game this season.

———————————–

31. Steeltown Hab says:

Anyone else trash that puke PJ Stock on twitter multiple times and yet still feel like it’s not enough?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Habfan10912 says:

Yeah, I’m actually getting more upset. But I am in a pissy mood anyways. Dentist visit today. Yuck.

———————————–

• The Cat says:

I feel your pain. Last time I went to the dentist I cried twice. The first time was during the 1hr and half of yanking 2 big teeth surrounding 1 infected tooth that could be saved but the pain killers dont work when you have an abscess, then I cried again when I saw the bill. I fell off the roof of my barn when I used to farm, Id sooner do that again then that dentist visit. Im not sounding very encouraging am I? lol Just tell yourself, it could be worse, you could be scavenging through horseshit back in the Stalin days to try and find corn morsels to eat.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Is there a link to all the insults?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Sportfan says:

I wonder if this is going to get blown out of the water :P and no I haven’t stopped being annoyed towards stock. He’s bad arguing with a Journalist that knows about hockey 1000x more than him and is respected 1000000000x more than him.

32. RobertAlanFord says:

Does anyone know where I can find a rerun of last night’s 24CH? Nothing on YouTube or the Canadiens site.

33. Habfan10912 says:

Part 1. @Dave_Stubbs i miss the days of professionalism +real hockey writers at the #gazette like Red Fisher.For those that missed PJ Stocks tweets here they are:
    @Dave_Stubbs Part 2. U better have research to back u! Because I do- +the experience of being in that room to know what’s what.
    @Dave_Stubbs part 3. Next time write an honest article without your #Habs pompoms on.

———————————–

• Haberoooo13 says:

Just read Stubbsy’s article…Well balanced piece actually…PJ…typical from him

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

• Chester says:

There is no reason for PJ Stock. He is just part of a panel that also agreed on Saturday that Kraperlay was an awesome addition to The Habs and has really come around …Couple that with Bob Coles inability to keep up with the play and of course The National Embarassement with his spew and this is a broadcast that leaves you scratching your head. Most insulting thing about this is that it is our tax dollars at work.

34. youngwun says:

Attack pj stock on twitter .

35. JF says:

I think the inauguration of the fifth patinoire bleu blanc rouge takes place today at 2 PM, if anyone wants to go. The park is a block west of Grand Ave. between Somerled and Fielding in NDG. Geoff Molson and Marc Bergevin will be there, as well as some of the Habs.

36. youngwun says:

Everyone attack pj stock on ye

Further to UCe’s nice roundup of Brisebois and his appearance on L’Antichambre is the fact that MB allows his staff to get the message out to the media with such appearances. Jack Todd alluded to this in his piece the other day and it is a valid one.

On 24CH I also liked the part where when MB introduces all the assistants and the people like Mellanby and Brisebois etc.. he says to the guys “if you need anything you just ask or talk to these guys”.

I believe having these people around as a resource for the players (particularly the young ones) is crucial given the pressures of the NHL and moreso the pressure of being a Hab.

235 NHL games played, 5 goals, 21 assists, 523 penalty minutes.

Of that unfortunately this player was allowed to stain the Habs uniform for all of 20games resulting in 1goal and 2 assists and 32pim.

Great career PJ.

39. Marc10 says:

Great questions Rhino. I’m completely unqualified so I’ll leave it to the experts. I would say however that Gallagher, Kristo and Collberg will all need to become Top 6 players if they’re to get a long term gig in the Show based on their size and skill.

40. JF says:

A lot of us were disappointed that Marc Bergevin did not sign Jaromir Jagr over the summer, but with hindsight it looks like the right decision. Jagr would probably have played on a line with Plekanec and Gionta, wth Bourque being bumped to the third line. This year’s renascent Bourque is playing well with Plekanec and Gionta, so that chemistry would not have developed. And with the cap going down next season, Jagr’s contract (he wanted two years, not one), could have been a problem.

In fact, the only one of Bergevin’s moves that is looking dubious at the moment is the signing of Colby Armstrong. Not that Armstrong has been bad; he just hasn’t had an impact. Bur he didn’t cost us much, and the Leafs are still paying him.

• Cal says:

Agree with the Jagr thing, but why is everyone on Armstrong’s case? He’s a 4th liner and he’s playing crash and bang. What does everyone here expect? 20 goals?

• JF says:

I’m not on Armstrong’s case; I liked the signing. I’m just not sure we need him. Nokelainen will be back, and at the moment we have Eller floating around the lineup. But extra depth is good.

I think the thing about Armstrong is that he is a player who played for MT in Pittsburgh and had good success there and even spent some time on a line with a very young Sidney Crosby. I suspect Armstrong brings some veteran presence in the clubhouse also that MT likes in addition to his trusting of him on the ice.

I personally believe Armstrong brings more than Nokia. However, I do think the time may arrive where Armstrong will have to be a scratch at times.

• Strummer says:

Armstrong is a big body who can score 15-20 goals if he plays a full season.

For a million bucks he’s good value.

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• rhino514 says:

Because it was a million off our cap space for another fourth liner.
        We already had Prust (who can fill in short term on the third line), Moen, White, Nokkelainen, and possible Eller now since there is no other spot for him.
        And Blunden is quite possibly as good or better than Armstrong at this point in his career.
        They are maybe gambling that he is the kinda guy because of his experience who can score a key goal in the playoffs…But otherwise it was 1 million thrown away

• Cal says:

Nokia is an injury replacement only. Prust will not play on the 4th line as long as the 3rd line is clicking like it is.
          Armstrong is a depth player. He’s averaging 10:54 TOI per game. Experience is vital in the playoffs so he gets a little premium.
          Blunden was here last season and, let’s face it, aside from a few hits, he was a punching bag.

• boing007 says:

Yep.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Habfan10912 says:

Count me in as well as want Jagr. Does MB have a plan and is going to stick to it regardless? Sure seems that way, huh?

———————————–

41. Sportfan says:

I saw what PJ Stock had to say he’s such a loser and trying to prove a point that he’s been in our locker room years ago while stubbs has been reporting in their a lot more than PJ lasted here he’s such an idiot a terrible analyst which represents CBC and who they hire really.

• Habfan10912 says:

A lot of these prim a dona athletes revert to the old, “I played the game” crap every time they are losing an argument. They have no other argument to offer so they throw that crap out that somehow they know more about the room then someone else. You tell me who is closer to the Hab dressing room. A loud mouth peace of crap like Stock or a respected journalist like our Mr. Stubbs? No contest!

———————————–

42. The Cat says:

Pretty cheap on PJ Stock’s part (attacking Dave Stubbs on twitter) but PJs got to try and save face I guess. To me Stubbs is pretty synonymous with credibility. I have no doubt all the players like him and trust him cause he wouldnt fabricate a ‘pipe bomb’ for his gain at their expense…unlike PJ Stock.

• AliHaba says:

What did PJ say?
      Sorry just read it. What was he referring to as hoping he had facts to back him up?

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Cat. One wonders what some TV execs are thinking when hiring some of these people. Milberry, Stock are two head scratchers.

———————————–

• AliHaba says:

They seem to hire guys who only want to bad-mouth the players and the game. If you watch an NFL or MLB broadcast the announcers invariably talk about the good aspects of their sport. NHL seems to be the exact opposite. No wonder the CBC is not popular at NHL headquarters.

• Habfan10912 says:

That seems to be true and I wouldn’t even mind that but PJ and Milberry aren’t offering educated, sound thoughts very often. They offer nothing to a broadcast. At least Cherry even with his bigoted venom can be funny because his act is clownish.

———————————–

• boing007 says:

If I want to see a clown, I’ll go to the circus.

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

The CBC Sports Dept. has had numerous shuffles at the executive level over the past years, it seems to be completely mismanaged as they continue to evolve for the worse. What was once the gold standard for hockey game productions and in house analysis has gone by the way of the dodo bird.

That panel of Healy, Stock, Weekes and Friedman hosted by Maclean is brutal. I feel bad for Friedman and Weekes as they are the only voices of reason.

Ron Maclean who clearly has a great deal of pull with that show did a complete hack job on Alex Burrows a couple years and got away with it.

They embarrass themselves….

Gone are the days of Dave Hodge, Brian McFarlane, even Gary Dornhoefer.

• The Cat says:

Good morning, Im not an expert on these things but Id say Stock is there cause hes fairly good looking. Milbury, I have no idea, the guy’s GM record should have made it impossible to get another hockey job.

• Sportfan says:

Lol Stock was a garbage player and a garbage analyst what did he say cause either way he’s an idiot so is milbury for that matter

43. rhino514 says:

I would like ask the commentariat their opinion on the following matters. regarding the RW prospects:
    1) Rank Collberg, Kristo ,Leblanc, Gallagher
    2) Who will be a top 6?
    3) Who will be a top 9?
    4) Who will end up playing for the habs on a regular basis?
    5) Who will see more than 40 games with the habs next year?

• AliHaba says:

1) Gallagher, Collberg, Leblanc, Kristo
      2) Gallagher, Collberg
      3) Leblanc
      4) Gallagher, Collberg
      5) Gallagher, Leblanc possibly

• Habfan10912 says:

1. Gallagher, Leblanc, Kristo, Collberg,
      2. Gallagher
      3. Gallagher, Leblanc, Kristo
      4. Gallagher, Leblanc
      5. Gallagher, Leblanc

The opinion expressed above was by an unqualified fan.
      ———————————–

• Bill J says:

1 Gallagher Collberg Kristo Leblanc
      2 Gallagher Collberg Kristo
      3 Gallagher Collberg Kristo
      4 Gallagher Collberg
      5 Gallagher

• habstrinifan says:

Gallagher for every answer. Add Collberg to top 9 ranking.
      No one BUT Gallagher will play for Habs consistently next year.

44. Lafleurguy says:

Imagine if we had a Ray Lewis type personality in the NHL. Imagine what PJ, Cherrybomb, Milbury, and others would be saying. Instead, pick on a decent kid like PK or you could substitute in the Kid.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• The Cat says:

Stock and Milbury dont deserve to be in the same sentence as Cherry. Cherry is bombastic but he knows his stuff better than anybody else on tv. Eloquence dont matter if youre wrong most of the time.

45. doug19 says:

Hey Scott Gomez scored a goal in Monday’s game against the Ducks! He deflected Sheldon Sourey’s shot into his Shark’s net for the winning goal!

46. 25insight says:

CBC’s PJ STOCK to STUBBS:

ME to CBC’s PJ STOCK:

@PJStockHNIC @Dave_Stubbs Your mom knitted them for him for special occasions.

47. Clutch10 says:

P.J Stock on Twitter bad mouthing our man Dave Stubbs. What a classless pile of crap. I think i’ll tell him just that. https://twitter.com/PJStockHNIC

48. Un Canadien errant says:

For those who don’t get RDS or understand French, here is a rough play-by-play of the appearance on L’Antichambre by Patrice Brisebois, the Canadiens Player Development Coach.

He explains that he’s responsible for all defencemen drafted (or signed, but he doesn’t specify) by the team, be they in Junior, U.S. College, or in Hamilton. I noted here that he didn’t mention European players, so I’m not sure if he has any contact with Magnus Nygren in Sweden, who Clément Jodoin last spring stated might come over this year in Hamilton. Mr. Brisebois also explains that he spends a lot of time in Hamilton, and when there he’s on the ice working with the kids along with Bulldogs coaches Sylvain Lefebvre and Donald Dufresne. He states with emphasis that they work the kids hard. He also explains that Martin Lapointe deals with the twelve forward prospects in the system, while he deals with “around” five kids. I’m not sure where the uncertainty lies, I would have followed up on that.

Gaston Therrien right away asks a question about Nathan Beaulieu, asking about his difficult start to the season in covered terms, and asking why we hear more about Jarred Tinordi. Mr. Brisebois replies that they are two different players, Jarred being a bigger guy with a defensive style and good hockey sense and vision. He explains that learning the defenceman position is hard for a youngster, and that vision and anticipation are key, reading the play and being in the right position are essential to play in the NHL. He adds that when you have the puck, it is then essential that you execute properly. Jarred is reliable in both aspects, and is definitely in the right direction in his progression. Nathan on the other hand isn’t there at this point, he has a lot of good offensive qualities, his skating, his vision, his shot, but defensively he still has deficiencies. He won’t be with the big team until he’s ready.

François Gagnon then makes a comparison between Patrice’s early career, when he was much the same player as Nathan, being offensively gifted but needing work on his defensive game, to which Patrice replied “That wasn’t true'”, to much laughter. Mr Gagnon persists and asks how do you work with him on that. Patrice replies that it’s all about work ethic, and showing up every day at the rink wanting to work and improve. He says that watching Nathan skate is impressive, but maybe he wasn’t working as hard as he could at first, although in the last month he has made great improvements and is starting to impress him. He has to go out and prove to coaches, teammates and himself that he’s going to be the best player he can possibly be.

Mr. Gagnon then asks the practical question, how do you approach players, how do you decide who says what to who? Mr. Brisebois explains that they have a very good rapport in Hamilton and Sylvain Lefebvre is very open in his coaching philosophy, but having said that, with bigger issues he says that he’ll run them by Coach Lefebvre and see how he wants to deliver that message. He reaffirms that they are all there for the good of the kids. He also takes the time to explain that there are other guys who are there, and names Morgan Ellis and Greg Pateryn. He says that he can’t just concentrate on one guy, that it would be unfair to the others.

Vincent Damphousse then asks who is closest to the NHL out of the kids in the system. Patrice replies that it’s situational, if an offensive defencemen with the Canadiens was injured, maybe Nathan Beaulieu would be recalled, whereas if it was a Josh Gorges or Francis Bouillon it might be a Jarred Tinordi or Greg Pateryn who was called up. He stresses that it wouldn’t be his call, but rather the Canadiens’ brass with Coach Lefebvre to consult.

Host Stéphane Langdeau then asked who outside of Hamilton impresses him. Mr. Brisebois explained that he usually is in Hamilton during the week and goes to U.S. Colleges on weekends, since they play on Fridays and Saturdays. He says he was just in Saskatoon over the weekend, and saw Dalton Thrower and Darren Dietz, and explained that the latter is impressive, in his maturity and dedication to his off-ice training, being in the gym at 0700 hr, and last to leave the practice ice. He described him as a Josh Gorges with “more talent” (!) His Head Coach Lorne Molleken and the Physical Conditioning Coach are effusive in his praise. When the puck drops, he’s ready, every game, he wants to make a difference, he’s a good teammate… In all this, no one asked about Dalton Thrower, about his up and down season, about some of the behind-the-scenes controversy (which is completely omitted from the Sportsnet series “Road to the Memorial Cup”). This is THE question I would have wanted asked, and see how much or how little Mr. Brisebois could offer to shed light on this, but I guess the Antichambre boys aren’t as plugged in to the draftees as we’d like.

Gaston Therrien then asks how he is received by junior clubs, how free is he to coach and correct, how do the junior coaches and management teams react to that? Mr. Brisebois explained that he’s in weekly contact with his charges, after weekends, he calls or texts them, he gets info from the internet, and receives game films. He says the kids are in good hands and the organization does everything it can for the kids to improve. He and Martin Lapointe are available 24/7. He agrees that the teams are happy for the Canadiens’ support, and offers as an example that Blades Head Coach Lorne Molleken and Defencemen Coach Curtis Leschyshyn offered him the opportunity to ride the bus with the team on a trip. He says that he was just in Windsor and got good cooperation and communication from Coach Bob Boughner, that they are all accessible. He then explained that U.S. Colleges are a little less cooperative, and they run their programs their own way, which I guess is understandable, since the NHL is seen less as an ally and more of a threat to poach their best elements early.

Stéphane Langdeau then asked how he feels being part of the big Canadiens’ management structure. He stated that he was very happy, he is passionate about hockey and coming back to the team, especially with the people in place, there’s a good chemistry with everyone, everyone works together, the current results are exciting, there’s a great crop of kids coming up, and the team is headed the right way.

François Gagnon asks him if he himself is being developed to become an NHL coach one day. Mr. Brisebois explains that he doesn’t have a specific goal right now, he’s concentrating on his current work. He says he loves it, although it was difficult at first being constantly on the road, by himself instead of traveling with a team, not having teammates to spend time with in airports and on flights.

Stéphane Langdeau asks him about his return to Montréal from Colorado. Patrice explained that his goal had been to spend his entire career as a Canadien, and he compared it to what Francis Bouillon is going through right now. He says the fan support was very important to him.

A discussion ensues about his ranking as the 13th best defenceman in Canadiens history, according to the RDS program “L’Ultime Classement”. When quizzed about the fact that he’s one spot ahead of Andrei Markov, he states that he’s perfectly comfortable with that, again to much laughter. He’s laudatory when asked to talk about Éric Desjardins, about being a good teammate, always fit, worked hard, a leader…

A difficult conversation follows about the booing he received at the end of his career. He explained that the team context is important, that the Big Three deserve the accolades, but that they had good players around them. I note that he leaves unsaid the obvious conclusion that he believes he didn’t have very strong teams to support him, which is a valid point. Vincent Damphousse chimes in that Québécois players get more credit then they should when they’re doing well, and more blame than they should when things aren’t so rosy.

Patrice then made an interesting point about being coached by Claude Ruel, and being told that the puck belongs on his teammates stick blade, that he therefore sometimes made a riskier play to make that pass, as opposed to other defencemen who would bang the puck off the glass as a CYA move, which he felt was a copout considering that fans pay more than $100 to attend the game. He says his style and what he’d been taught made him play that way.

Stéphane Langdeau segues into the mental aspect, and the pressure of playing in Montréal, and whether he will coach that aspect as well, to which Mr. Brisebois is emphatic that he will. He lists nutrition, conditioning, personal issues, that all these are relevant and the team wants to know if there’s a problem and wants to help.

Unfortunately this is where this ended. I wish there had been more focus on the other kids we never hear about, the College kids like Colin Sullivan and Josiah Didier and Mac Bennett, but all in all, it was a great opportunity to learn more about his role and what the future holds for the team.
    ———————————————————————–

• MikeHabs says:

Thanks for sharing this! I don’t have RDS nor do I speak/really understand that much French.

twitter: @Mike_Habs

• jols101 says:

Thanks. Great read.

• Timo says:

Breezer is responsible for development tof the defensemen? That’s rich. I hope his development program includes growing out silky smooth flowing hair.

• Un Canadien errant says:

He can handle the style and flair component, while Donald Dufresne and Sylvain Lefebvre focus on the ‘bang it off the glass’ aspect.

Wish we had a Donald Dufresne right now on the team…

• H.Upmann says:

Errant: fantastic! Thanks for the post!

• NoTinFoilCups says:

Excellent read UCE for all us non french speakers. Boone often puts down this show. So I gather all episodes are not as informative as this one?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Quite right, this was one of the shows I’ve enjoyed most. This is the kind of info I joined up here at HIO, I was Googling for info on Habs’ prospects and the draft in 2010 and stumbled on this happy little family. Anyway, I wish L’Antichambre, along with the Gazette and other outlets who follow the Canadiens, gave us more immediate info on our draftees and future players. Too many times the show develops into a yuckfest, or a bitch session about Scott Gomez and Tomas Kaberle. We know those two are a lost cause, let’s get over it and move on.

We tend to hyper-analyze the day to day, and forego the long view, much to Hard Habits’ chagrin. I’ve seen people on here recently despair that the Bulldogs are in tough, they want the kids to dominate the AHL in their first season, even though we were warned by people much smarter than us to be patient, that this was going to be a tough season.

So tonight’s show really scratched my itch, and convinces me even further that the new management team has a modern, effective method to unearth talent and develop it to the best of our abilities.

• AliHaba says:

Great job. You certainly put a lot of work into this all for the benefit of us poor unilinguists.
      One point that I question though is regarding the two kids in Saskatoon. From what I’ve seen and read it’s Dietz that’s had the up and down season with his +/- hovering around -20. Thrower meanwhile, despite missing some time early due to injury has been playing very well and has a +17.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I haven’t really looked at their stats, I was referring more to Mr. Thrower’s suspension due to breaking team rules early on, and to the upper/lower-body injury that was rumoured to be a concussion due to a fight at practice, and to be evidence that the team was badly fractured and openly rebellious to the Head Coach. Not a peep from our journalist friends at Sportsnet on this, I guess their ‘documentary’ is meant to be a puff piece and a sales job for their broadcasts of the Memorial Cup in June.

Basically, Darren Dietz is progressing well for a fifth-round draft pick, whereas Dalton Thrower is underperforming for a second-rounder who some touted as a possible first-round pick. Or so I gather, although I welcome any info or opinions.

• Luke says:

I think these documentaries are puff pieces. I think the Blades one is better (so far) than the Habs. You’ll notice there was no mention of PK in the first 24CH.

I feel like the 24CH was tacked together quickly, the Blades seems to have a more cohesive vision to it.

(PS: Thanks for the breakdown of the Brisebois interview)

• jedimyrmidon says:

24CH is a bit rough. Too much slo-mo for no apparent reason. Oh well. Better than nothing.

• HardHabits says:

Great work Norm. Valuable reporting and insights. I like the new human face of the Habs. Very refreshing.

49. Bun E. Laroque says:

Just want to thank Dave Stubbs for the article and add my name to the growing anti PJ Stock contingent. Such a tool. He wasn’t the only
    Turkey on television unjustifiably attacking Pernell, but he is probably the most boneheaded.

50. Phil C says:

Just read the Stubbs article on Subban and PJ Stock. What an excellent article. I’m so pleased that Stubbs would stand up for the truth and not let Subban’s reputation get unecessarily damaged.

It is amazing that the CBC gives PJ Stock a national stage. I hope he learns to use his platform more responsibly in the future.

51. Adidess says:

Wait, the Super Bowl party I joined yesterday was with University buddies from years ago, not anyone from work. Was that wrong?

Nobody from work invited me to their SB parties. I know they’re females and didn’t care much for the game, but no invite obviously means they hate my guts! Oh my God, now I know, thanks to perceptive PJStock-type reasoning!!!