Welcome back, Saku

Former Canadiens captain Saku Koivu will have a second Montreal homecoming Thursday night when he returns to the Bell Centre with the Anaheim Ducks (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Thursday’s game will mark only the second time Koivu has played in Montreal since leaving the Canadiens as a free agent following the 2008-09 season.

“In a way, it’s a little easier to come back the second time,” the 38-year-old Koivu told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs on Wednesday afternoon after checking into the Ducks’ downtown hotel.

“It’s a little less hectic this time than the time before and that’s kind of the way I want to do it.

“There’s not as much hassle — well, not hassle, but the press conference and all the media attention the first time. I’m hoping I can kind of relax and enjoy the day a bit more than the last time, when I felt the butterflies even a few days before.”

Koivu planned to spend a quiet evening Wednesday over an early dinner with friends before facing the Montreal media Thursday morning at the Bell Centre for the Ducks’ game-day skate.

(Photo by Pierre Obendrauf/The Gazette)

A second Montreal homecoming for Koivu, by Dave Stubbs

Memorable quotes from Koivu, by Dave Stubbs

Return engagement for Koivu, Canadiens.com

Canadiens vs. Ducks Preview, NHL.com

Saku Koivu – Hockey Fights Cancer video, anaheimducks.com

Habs playing musical defencemen, by Pat Hickey

New Hab Holland has Seinfeld-esque quality, by Pat Hickey

Laraque says he could add muscle to Habs, The Canadian Press

Habs fans coming to town for HIO Summit, by Stu Cowan

Concussion hasn’t hurt Parros’s sense of humour, Stu on Sports blog

Women make big sacrifices to play for Team Canada, by Brenda Branswell

1. NL Hab says:

What is the story with Cristian Thomas. How come he is not with the big club. Wasn’t he supposed to be a good prospect. That is what we were told when we traded Kristo. Seems like if he can’t fit in on this roster now with all of the injuries then he is not all what he was hyped up to be.

Et Le But

• shiram says:

He is injured.

• Fransaskois says:

Sports hernia since training camp. He’s a good prospect. Give him two years and then compare him to Kristo, they’ll be at the same age/stage in their development.

• NL Hab says:

Hopefully, I was really looking forward to Kristo spending a full year in Hamilton this season. Seems like he has a lot more upside than Thomas. Time will tell like you said. Obviously Bergevin see something in him that he didn’t like. Hopefully he turns out to be a second coming of Stumpy Thomas.

Et Le But

• Fransaskois says:

Their upside is pretty similar…. Thomas is just developing faster, at a younger age, and without the personality issues. The biggest difference between them is that Kristo (especially in his last year of college) was starting to show a reasonable amount of defensive ability, we haven’t seen that yet from Thomas. Their size difference is negligible, both play a little bit scrappy based on their stature, they’re both fast players, Kristo is a better playmaker while Thomas is a much better shooter. Thomas has an elite wrist shot and the ability to use it, Kristo doesn’t have a specific skill set that could be considered “elite”.

It was hard to see Kristo go after waiting so long. However, it was a good trade and I think we got, who will turn out to be, the better player.

• Maritime Ronn says:

5’9″-176 pounds
      Habs have enough of that.

2. shiram says:

Everyone’s favorite advanced statician is saying Bergevin could make a move to trade DD, and would be willing to take less value coming back.
    Pointing out Cole as an example of a player not producing and sent shipping, Cole actually produced more than DD is right now.

But Cole was not Bergevin’s signing, and at the time it was said Cole might have been a locker room issue as well, I think I remember reading that Cole might have asked for the trade, so that might be moot.

3. captaink4life says:

Ladies and gentlemen,

#11 in your playbooks but
    #1 in your hearts

SAKUUUUUU KOIVUUUUUUUUUUU

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

4. NL Hab says:

Good article by Andrew Berkshire.

I know it has been debated here a million times but I am bored and I love this subject. DD is either hated or beloved for some reason. Much like Gomez, he was signed to a contract that he didn’t deserve, but if it was anyone of us, we would sign this contract also. Who in there right mind would turn that down.

I am the furthest thing from a DD supporter but I certainly don’t hate the guy. However, I do not want him on this team anymore and I’m not sure if any other team would take him on as part of a trade.

It was brought up here a couple of weeks ago on DD, on if he was put on waivers, would another team pick him up. At this point in time I think Bergevin should be trying to trade this guy, but I really don’t think any other team in this league will take him on. Especially with this current cap situation. Next year maybe, but I don’t think this year.

I truly believe that DD would clear waivers, but what is the point of that. Our forwards our hurting now, so do you think it is just as well to keep him with the Habs rather than send him to Hamilton?

What do you guys think about this. Could he possibly be traded? Would any other team take him on? Would he clear waivers? Should we put him on waivers?

Et Le But

• shiram says:

Trading him while retaining salary would work.
      Would be funny if he ended up in Florida with Scotty Gomez.
      They could battle for top 6 TOI… and chat up Thomas!

• DipsyDoodler says:

Who would you replace him with?

So you waive him or trade him for picks. Then what? Who takes his place in the lineup?

DD is irrelevant. He’s a 3rd line centre now. He was not responsible for the collapse against the Oil, and trading him doesn’t improve the team.

People obsess over him but you might as well obsess over an assistant coach.

To compare him to Scott Gomez is silly. Gomez was paid as a 1st line centre. He was the guy we got because we couldn’t sign Sundin. Gomez earned more than whichever Sedin twin plays centre.

DD signed exactly the same contract as Matt Stajan.

This is the comparable. Would you trade DD for Stajan? OK why not? But it wouldn’t change a thing.

• RAM_TOUGH says:

Does it matter? Anyone from the farm can do what he does.

Guts-Glory-Ram

• NL Hab says:

I would like to replace him with LeBlanc.I think Leblanc would be able to produce just as much or better than him and he is better defensively. And a lot cheaper.

Plus, this is a make or break year for Leblanc and I would like to see how he fairs against NHL players. I think it is too early to give up on LL. DD is what you get, he has peaked. I think LL has a lot of potential and should be given a shot.

He is being punished for having a bad year last year in Hamilton. DD had a bad year last year, and is having a bad year this year. However, we still reward him with Top PP minutes.

As for your Matt Stajan comparison. I wouldn’t sign either one of these guys on my team. So to compare too shitty players is a bit off topic I think.

I think the Gomez/DD comparison is very valid. They are similar type players who were signed to contracts they didn’t deserve. Lets forget about the cap hit. I can take DD’s cap hit, but it is the term that gets me. Gomez was both. However both these guys could never live up to these expectations.

Et Le But

5. mrhabby says:

LUKE..saw that post of Bon Jovi @ACC. lmao…ur right it could be worse.

6. DJ says:

First, let me say I love this site. Best way to follow my beloved habs from TO. I am looking forward to my annual pilgrimage to the Centre Bell Saturday night. I am wondering why Price is starting tonight. I am a huge Carey fana nd a bi defender of his. But it seems like a good time to get Budaj a game (actually I thought the Oiler game would have been a good one for Budaj). Carey’s stat agaisnt the Ducks are is 0-2-1 with a 3.70 goals against average in four career appearances. Other than that, I agree with the overall sentiment that the DD and Briere signings were colossal mistakes by MB. The area I see as the grates weakness now though is D zone coverage. It seems like there are always open players in the slot or at the side of the net. I hope they can play 3 strong periods tonight.

• shiram says:

We are dearly missing Emelin and possibly Murray on D.
      Hope you have an awesome time at the summit!

• DJ says:

Agreed. I am not actually attending the summit. I take a family trip once a year to ensure my kids remain loyal hab fans.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Funny you should mention that.
        Budaj would have been a good call against Edmonton.
        The Habs won with him there last week, and he was great with a .964 SP and only 1 goal against on 28 shots.

One of the things new goalie Coach Waite has mentioned was that his top guy needs rest and shouldn’t be overplayed…
        Was he overruled?

• sweetmad says:

Could we bring him up now,I don’t know the rules about bringing up players,but we are in a desperate situation here,we really need a big guy who can score,and he has the prerequisite of having character,a few more like that and we’re laughing.
      GO HABS GO

• NL Hab says:

Great article. I think he will be a great addition to this team in 3-4 years. A solid 3rd/4th liner who can score some goals.

Et Le But

7. Fransaskois says:

Good Morning Ron! I’m sorry about the late reply, I was out running errands.

Re: Cap Analysis

Our cap space for next year stands at 22mil with 17 players signed. This includes, at the moment, players like Christian Thomas and Patrick Holland contributing on the full-time roster. It is possible that they’d both be replaced by more expensive options on the 3rd and 4th lines (i.e. White, FA).

In terms of the cap fluctuation, we really can’t be sure by how much it will go up. It’s gone up $100k to +6mil in a single season. Considering we lost half of a season this year, don’t you think revenue will reflect that? Included in that are the issues we’re having with the Canadian dollar. I’m really not sure, those questions aren’t rhetorical. :D

In my analysis, I gave the cap a ~5mil cushion over the two years by leaving a key position unfilled and unsigned(top-4 defenceman). It wasn’t the clearest way of doing it, my apologies. That is what our cap situation looks like if the cap goes up 5.6mil over the two years and we sign Markov. Roughly. I’ll write a clearer one the next chance I get!

It’s better to be too early than too late where the cap is concerned. Hope that explains it a little better.

8. Sportfan says:

Welcome back Saku! When you guys reminisce about Koivu what do you remember?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

9. Walmyr says:

Hello guys…

Any news regarding who will be healthy scratch tonight?

I would like to see Pateryn in the game today…

cheers

10. Lafleurguy says:

@Dunboyne Mike
    Handing in my homework assignment

There once was a coach called Eakins
    Who with Girl Nantucket was speakin’
    The two soon discovered
    They liked brushing each other
    And now have baby hair cleanly squeakin’

“May you live in interesting times.”

11. DickandDanny says:

Can’t help but look at our line-up and when I see see DD as our third line center I begin to shake my head. That was a really poor signing. And then I think about Briere’s signing and I really shake my head. I thought MB was brought in to to change the complexion and make-up of this team. BG, and that other goof we had after him, couldn’t have done worse than MB has done on those two player contracts if they tried. So, when does the MB era start. It seems like a carry over from previous management to me right now.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

• Mick says:

This is not a “bridge” or a “band aid”.
      It is simply a bad F_____ deal.

• wjc says:

I think you shake your head too much.

D.D. is officially the new whipping boy……..the wait is over. Where is Gomez when you need him.

Of course it is a carry over from the previous management, because previous managment was on track and the Canadiens are still on track.

wjc

• DickandDanny says:

WJC, I’m not even sure what you are trying to say in your response? What ‘wait’ are you referring too regarding DD? What is your comment about Gomez supposed to mean? On ‘track’ for what exactly? We have been doing this same thing now for 20 years and we have had one decent spring to show for it. This must be a really long track. Because this present track record of our various mgmt groups is not one to be proud of. And the future track looks the same. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with my post? Please try writing in English, or French or something I can understand.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

12. sweetmad says:

Just caught up with the posts,so I am late commenting again.

One thing I thought was interesting, about the Louie thing last night,was Claude Julienne’s remarks,he said nothing about the hit to the head,but about the fight,he said”Scott was just doing his job,thats what he is there for”,I have a problem with that,but at least this time he didn’t try to blame him.

It makes no sense to me that the union,wants to keep fighting,having goons on the roster,just takes up a spot from some one who can really play hockey,they won’t lose any jobs,it just will be another person paying their dues,these are people who are supposed to love the game,when all it does,is debase what is such a beautiful skillful game,and gives it a bad name.In a lot of the world the only time you see anything about hockey,on sports networks is when they fight,this is not helping to grow the game world wide.Or perhaps they are just,thinking that they won’t have to fight.

Welcome home to Saku,I was trying to think of the players that were here when Saku was here,I can only think of three Pleks,Markov,andGorges,I also think Boullion might have played with Saku here.I only started watching the game when I came to Canada,Saku was here then,and he is still one of my favorites,BG did us no favours letting him go.

Hope everyone going to the summit has a great time,I don’t suppose I will ever get to go to one,but I am there in spirit.
    GO HABS GO

• Eddie says:

the game is not “sold” as a “beautiful, skilled game”.

hockey is sold as a “crash and bang” sport in North America.

watch a TV broadcast from Boston, Philly, or even Florida or Columbus, and you will hear the broadcasters emphasize the physicality of the game, the contact of the game, the big hits, and ESPECIALLY the fights.

I agree with your post. But the “business” of growing revenue for the unions and the owners does not agree.

• sweetmad says:

Yes I know your right Eddie,but coming from England,with what I saw of hockey before I got here,I never would have thought I could get into the game, because I thought it was a brutal sport,when I tell my friends and family there,that I love hockey,they are really suprised,that I love it so much.I got into hockey and Montreal because my husband loves it,when he was at work,he would phone me for the score,so I watched it.Watching the HABS play,there was never that much fighting.
        GO HABS GO

13. arcosenate says:

Strange days, the former captain being let go by the Habs to go to find second line work in Anaheim.

Who’s our second line centre again?

I would take Saku over DD any day.

14. shiram says:

Maritime Ronn got to a crucial issue in player safety, the players themselves, reprensented by the NHLPA, don’t want to be protected.

Sure the refs could make more calls, the rules could be changed, some adjustment to equipment can be made, but the reality of hockey is that it’s a fast and physical game and untill players want to insure their physical well-being and show each other respect we’ll continue to see non-sense like the hit Scott made last night.

And player respect goes deeper than waving for a trainer after a player is face down bleeding on the ice.

15. jeffhabfan says:

Going to my first Summit leaving tomorrow morning at 8 on the train from Belleville anyone else leaving on the 8am train from belleville.

16. habsguru says:

as a hockey parent that is at the rink at least 5 times a week, I can say that head contact is going to get worse, not better. until refs are instructed to call ALL head contact, intentional or not. contact is part of the game, but Erickson nor any other player signed up for what that useless player Scott did. how is that even a hockey play?

17. boing007 says:

DD is a flash in the pan. Bring up Louis Leblanc.

Richard R

18. Propwash says:

Glad to hear Parros is back skating with the team.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

19. kalevine says:

No matter how you slice it, Habs have too much cap space tied up in non performing or underperforming assets to be better than a playoff bubble team for the next couple of years. I know we need to give Bergevin some time but he is responsible for too much of that excessive dead weight and he has barely been around a year.

• J_P says:

Gionta’s $5 million comes off the books after this season, and the cap should go back up dramatically for next season. Our entire defense is also UFA after this season except for PK who is RFA.

Markov definitely gets re-signed, but for less than his 5.75M that he is currently earning. Im sure we can get him for another 2-3 years at 4.5M.

Out of all the teams in the league, I wouldnt consider the habs to be a team with a dire cap situation at the moment.

20. Eddie says:

when the puck clears the glass cleanly from the defensive zone, automatic penalty.

when the stick is broken by a strong stick check, automatic penalty

when someone is sticked to the face, automatic penalty; plus 4 minutes for drawing blood, automatic.

when any player is checked in the head, no matter what the circumstance, THIS SHOULD BE AN AUTOMATIC PENALTY; 4 minutes short handed, minimum, even if the player targeted is not at all injured, even if there was no intent, even if it was a shoulder hit etc.. etc…

Lots of Desharnais dissing on Gaston Therrien’s practice blog.

• kalevine says:

a small target with a big bullseye

• byrneoNL says:

I thought DD played his best period this year, against Edmonton. I’m not kidding. That first period, he battled, hustled, and seemed to be giving 100%. Then I don’t remember seeing him once the entire game afterward. Which I’d be fine with if he was a defenseman.

Anyways, DD is an albatross of a signing. The whole hockey world sees that now. But like Gomez, we’re not stuck with him. I would hope DD would be taking this seriously, but he’s not even troubling himself to attend optional practices and stuff. He’s not above practice right now. A little initiative might serve him well at this point.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Wish I could read read French. Or should I say the francophone language? I don’t want to be accused of discussing France. ;)

• Old Bald Bird says:

DD was a feel good story that now feels bad.

• Ozmodiar says:

speaking of….

Rumor has it that a pair of Habs scouts visited the Florida Panthers training facility on the weekend to examine a bag of pucks.

What does it mean!?!?!

• Mick says:

Blame the GM for the lame move. I will never understand his thinking on this one.
      4 years????

22. Mick says:

This is ” Little David’s” 10th game. I think after 10 games a player should have his legs going. It looks like David is not on par with his teammates. Time to do something with him.
    Any suggestions?

• wjc says:

You have no say, leave it up to the Canadiens. They can sit him, try and trade him or let him work it out eventually.

Knee jerk reactions are okay for fickle fans, but you would hope Canadiens management would make a clear headed decision. Sometimes that is to just ride it out.

wjc

• J_P says:

I didnt find the extension they gave him to be a very clear headed decision.

Good depth at center, player was RFA at years end (not UFA), and was having a bad season in a contract year. THe only justification I could give for the extension is that his name is David Desharnais and not John Smith, which means it wasnt a very clear headed decision to begin with lol

• habsguru says:

make him a mini Yupi

23. Maritime Ronn says:

It appears there is a lot of blame going around concerning the weak response to head shots – the ref’s fault, the owners, Bettman, Shanahan, TV ratings…..yet the culprit not mentioned almost ever is the entity that could clean that up in a heartbeat.

That entity is the NHLPA.

In an excellent article written by the very well connected Larry Brooks of the New York Post, it could not be more clear.

——————–
    ” …There’s more, however, for we have been told the NHLPA, at least as the union has been represented on the competition committee, has consistently argued AGAINST punishments that fit the crime of head-targeting.

Indeed, we were told by a well-placed source the NHLPA only signed off on Rule 48 last summer on the condition that VP Colin Campbell NOT IMPOSE what the players referred to as “super suspensions,” for those guilty of coming laterally to apply blindside hits to the head.

Which is why suspensions, even for repeat offenders, are generally fewer than five games.

Under those circumstances, even acknowledging the amount of space and the tens of thousands of words we have devoted to excoriating Campbell, commissioner Gary Bettman and the league for not applying harsh suspensions to headhunters, THE ATHLETES are now marked as co-conspirators in the league’s laissez-faire attitude to the felonious among them.”

Poor little Davey is tired

Gaston Therrien
    10:39 beaucoup de lancers sur les gardiens car l’entraînement est optionnel, Desharnais a prit congé ?

• Say Ash says:

Not as tired as us watching him.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Timo

Think about it this way
        Davy may be getting tired cashing those cheques.

Players are paid only during the year.
        26 pay periods during the year.
        $3,500,000 divided by 26 equals $134,615.
        $134,615 every 2 weeks.
        Those cheques have to be heavy….
        Wondering if you are thinking that gross pay is gross.

So, did Habs trade DD for Kopecky (sp?) yet?

26. boing007 says:

Retire Lapointe and Blake’s Jerseys.

Richard R

27. rljmartin says:

Hockey rules make no sense. Hitting has always been part of the game, not intent to injure, whether it be by clean check or not. This is where the NHL is right now, hurt people. So a guy like Gionta gets rammed from behind or a “clean check” can be so violent it injures, no call but a player merely puts a stick under your arm… 2 minutes… that is just stupid. Are we headed to an NHL that will have no players under 6 feet or 220 lbs? People who run the NHL needs a reality check.

28. PrimeTime says:

The NHL continues to grow and until revenues begin to dive nothing will deter cheap shots and fighting in the game. It’s nasty and ugly but it makes money for everyone involved. I prefer it not be the game but it’s the players choice. They know the benefits

• Ali says:

you read the piece the other day by the NFL player who said I know a risk of playing in this league is getting concussions, and I’m okay with that?

• PrimeTime says:

No I didn’t but that opinion is not breaking news. NHL players also have the advantage of guaranteed contracts as well. It’s always about the money!

• DipsyDoodler says:

In fact most NFL players would prefer to have a concussion than a torn ACL.

• PrimeTime says:

That logic comes from too many concussions.

• wjc says:

The NHL grows because new fans like the rough game it is. Howe used to say hockey is a man’s game. Money is the only reason hockey exists. If people had never decided to pay to watch, there would be no league.

Give the people what they want, if you do not like it……look away my friend. Without money being charged and paid (happily) by the fans the game would be played for free somewhere, for the fun of it.

If you want it organized and refereed and televised you have to except if for what it is…….less then perfect.

wjc

29. bwoar says:

Nice clean hockey play there. Nothing to see here….

“thoroughbred”

30. Old Bald Bird says:

I think what people mean, when they seem to applaud the Scott on Eriksson hit, is that it looks good on the Bruins. Schadenfreude? I think they likely still feel badly for the player.

• J_P says:

I hope thats what they mean. I like Loui Eriksson as a player, so im definitely not happy to see him suffer a vicious hit to the head. I would have much seen rather an actual goon like chara or lucic get injured. If someone took out charas knees and he suffered a career ending knee injury, I actually wouldnt feel bad. Which I think is rather kind of me because what chara really deserves is a career ending headshot. However, I will never condone giving people concussions, no matter how much they probably deserve it.

• Ali says:

Chara and Lucic are both skilled hockey players, as much as I despise them. John Scott is the goon. But the actions of players like Chara and Lucic, who actually can play the game and don’t need to resort to lunacy to do so, have resulted is thugs like Scott having an existence.

• Timo says:

I would have Chara and Lucic on the Habs any day of the week. Hell, I’d trade Desharnais to get these two.

• wjc says:

You just did condone it, by saying he deserves a career ending head shot. The Eriksson hit was just an opportunity for a 4th line player to line up another 4th line player.

Chara is not actually a goon, he is a very good defenseman, who happens to be big. Lucic is also talented who happens to be big. Guaranteed Lucic will never run Miller again and Chara will behave himself also.

wjc

31. Old Bald Bird says:

Just a thought. I don’t watch much hockey other than the Habs, but I did watch some of Ottawa-Detroit last night. It was slower-paced than Montreal games, at least than when the Habs are playing well. Habs have to be fast to be good. Do you think that it requires too much energy to sustain? Does this account for the very common weak second periods?

• J_P says:

It doesnt matter what players we have or who the coach is. For as long as I can remember (at least over the last 10 years) the habs have seemingly been a terrible second period team. Ill never get it.

• PrimeTime says:

It’s not that they are a terrible second period team but they are a good first period team. Then teams adjust to slow them down. Take away MTL speed and there isn’t much left. The battle is won or lost always in the third

• J_P says:

No no, were actually a bad second period team. Last year we were ok in the second, but every year before last year (back when I actually used to watch at least 75 of the habs games per year) we were always bad in the second period (getting outhit, outshot, outhustled, etc…).

32. DipsyDoodler says:

I don’t think the league is the main culprit in the violence. It’s the players and the whole culture of the game. Young hockey players across Canada are schooled in the mobster mentality that says if they hurt one of your guys you hurt one of theirs, and a good Canadian kid drops the gloves from time to time etc …

I think the league and owners would just as soon suspend the John Scotts of this world and let the skilled players do their thing. The NHLPA is more concerned about guys being suspended than it is about head injuries. See when your out with a concussion you still collect your paycheck.

• Ali says:

Agreed. And people say NFL is a physical sport where you don’t see fighting, that’s because you rarely see the types of head hunting that we’ve seen on a regular basis in the NHL. If the players cleaned up their own act and got rid of the idiots who try to hurt people, that itself will reduce the fighting in the league.

• JUST ME says:

Totally agree with you. In real life, when the union wants to protect some a** hole you get to work with undesirable individuals. The league can throw suspensions at them as much as they want, they will always come back and their job is protected.

For as long as the players want to save jobs at any price ,even the price of their safety than look no further than in your own mirror.

• frontenac1 says:

John Scott?Pfffft! Orr took him out last year with a right hook body shot to the ribs.Rocky Marciano style. He went down like a ton of bricks.

• Cal says:

The league is the reason all this crap goes on. Players (pretty much everywhere) look to the NHL as being the best, most talented club hockey games you will see. The league governs exactly what is allowed and not allowed during play.
      The league doesn’t give two shits about their skilled players being injured by 4th line bozos that can’t play.
      They prove it time and time again.

• wjc says:

The NHLPA are concerned about keeping as many players working as possible.

wjc

• DipsyDoodler says:

The Islanders raised a banner to Billy Joel and another one to the famous hairstyle known as “the mullet” at Nassau Colosseum.

• Lafleurguy says:

Guessin’ Jon Bon couldn’t name five Leafs. This Leiweke guy is quite Hollywood.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• bel33 says:

That article is making it into a sports story when it’s not. I’m not defending the Leafs or their fans in anyway.. I get enough grief from them living in TO, but the building itself is starting this HoF up.

Bon Jovi has played the ACC 17 times, which is more than any artist according to the news story this morning.

It has nothing to do with the Leafs. Might have something to do with Leiweke though… he is very Hollywood.

- I’d buy that for a dollar! -

• Luke says:

Too bad. Leafs or not, this is fair game.

I’m can’t decide if I’m gonna get tickets to Truckasaurus night or the Undertaker night.

Apps – Glimour – The Rock – Sundin – Bon Jovi – Sittler – Horton – Tim Horton’s DoubleDouble – Bailey – Armstrong – Disney on Ice.

33. Bill says:

Maritime Ronn:

Actually, it has been said countless times on HIO that having fighters on the team would prevent injuries, prevent cheap shots, and prevent opposing players from running Habs players. Countless times. You being disingenuous if you claim not to remember that being said on HIO. It will probably be said today.

Funny we are always arguing, being fellow maritimers! Or maybe that goes with the territory.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Ali says:

Would the Sabres have signed John Scott (who does not belong in the league) if Lucic had never run Miller? You reap what you sow.

• JUST ME says:

Ali, one does not justify the other. All that crap has nothing to do with the game. But we have to hire some goons TO PROTECT OUR LITTLE GUYS and then we accuse our own talented players to be smurfs when we should actually put our energies toward getting rid of those good for nothing individuals. But unions want to protect jobs at all cost even at the price of their own safety …

• Ali says:

Not saying it does. Scott doesn’t belong in the league, he has no skill as a hockey player. But his being on the Sabres didn’t happen by accident, every action has an equal reaction, and them getting him was a direct result of Lucic running Miller. And when you bring in a “deterrent” like John Scott, this day was inevitable.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Bill?
      Argue?
      You and me?
      :-)
      We don’t argue.
      We just have good back and forths

• wjc says:

Beliveau and the boys appreciated ‘John Ferguson’, and a later generation appreciated ‘Chris Nilan’.

You will never know how many cheap shots they prevent. Many years ago a tough team called the Chicago Black Hawks in 1961 pounded the smaller Canadiens into the ice and beat them in a playoff. Toronto Leafs also had a tough team that manhandled the Canadiens and slowed them down

Ferguson and a few others made sure that never happened when they came into the league.

You will never know how tough guys prevent injuries by being there.
      Just look at Gretzky and Seminko. For years people thought there was a rule not to hit Gretzky and later found out that they didn’t dare.

You will never know how many injuries tough guys prevent, because they cannot be counted if they do not happen.

wjc

34. Ali says:

welcome come home Saku. Never should have left.

35. Luke says:

Sabres should be forced to play John Scott 15 minutes a night for the rest of the season.

Suspend him? I though the idea was to punish, not reward the team.

36. Mattyleg says:

If the NHL really wants to cut out head-shots, they have to start enforcing the Charging rule. That rule clearly states that you are not supposed to take any strides or cover any ground before delivering your hit.

This whole ‘finishing your check’ idiocy has to stop. When a player no longer has the puck, he should no longer be the target for a hit. Period. A player should not ‘start’ his check at distance from his target; his check should come from the player skating into him, or from the side (sort of ‘rubbing out’).

This ‘punishing bodycheck’ mentality came from Scott Stevens, and if he were playing in today’s NHL, he’d have been suspended many times over.

Covering distance before a bodycheck is illegal.

It’s even worse when the player no longer has the puck.

The NHL has to clarify this rule and call it if they want to cut down on injuries and checks to the head.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Luke says:

That’s impossible.

That’d be like asking a defensive lineman not to violently hit a Quarterback after he’s released the ball.

It’s just so very impossible…

• Old Bald Bird says:

Come on, Luke. Much of this “finishing the check” business has gotten way out of hand. Much of the time, the checkers have more than enough distance and time to pull off.

• Luke says:

(That was my point… super sarcasm in that post. The NFL doesn’t let you so much as glance at the QB after he relases the ball… so if a 300lb lineman sprinting, or at times leaping, at a dude can change his mind in split second, so should an NHLer be able to).

• HardHabits says:

4 letters. IIHF.

There are no clean hits to the head. Any hit to the head should result in a game misconduct. That includes fighting. It’s that simple.

• Luke says:

Or at least a 2 minute minor.

It’s 2 mins in the OHL and having watched a handful of games this season I can honestly say it hasn;t toned down the fighting or the hitting at all.

I’ve seen pleny of bone crushering and scraps, including a line brawl. What I have not seen is many hard head checks. Perhaps 3 total penalties for it, and none of those were of the devestating variety.

Two minutes for contact to the head (intentional or not) and allow for escalation. doubles minors for violent contact, majors for ones like last night.
        And be strict, thorough and consistent with discipline.

But its the NHL. They won’t be proactive. They only react erratically. Scott will get 10 games or more, because he’s easy. He’s the low hanging fruit.

We’ll see what happens when someone like Tavares clips a guy like Chris Higgins in the chin. 2 games? maybe…

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I agreed until you included fighting. Can they punch each other in the ribs?
        It’s the headhunting hits that need to be eliminated. Kaleta coming from 60 feet away to take someone’s head off should be punished by more than 10 games. There were two against us in the Nashville game and neither were even called a penalty. Matty’s suggestions will change the game beyond recognition. Soccer on skates is not something most fans want.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk but … there is fighting in hockey.

• Phil C says:

Couldn’t agree more Matty, charging and interference have always been in the rules, the NHL has just never enforced them properly. It would go a long way to cleaning up the game without offending the purists. Who could argue with enforcing rules that have always been on the books? Bobby Orr recently stated that this would be an easy way to clean up the game.

I think the players would instantly respect a new interpretation of the rules as well. They have to finish their checks now or they will be sucking diesel fumes on a bus in the AHL quicker than you can say “cleared waivers”. If a 300lb lineman can stop in an instant when a QB releases the ball, the best skaters in the world can do the same.

The only downside is that it would drastically reduce hitting as players simply don’t hang on to the puck long enough. However when there is a big hit that results in a turnover, it woukd be more dramatic and noticeable.

• wjc says:

Why not just eliminate hitting from hockey. Have no touch hockey.
      You have to follow through on your check or finish your check. If you didn’t you would have no touch hockey.

Injuries and concussions are going to happen in a contact sport. Remove the contact and change the sport. If it bothers you watch something else. Boards hurt, ice hurts, pucks hurt, hitting hurts sometimes, words hurt, spitting is discusting, bad words are… well bad, you can read their lips sometimes.

There is danger everywhere, what to do?….what to do? Arena’s are loud, bad for the ears. Money corrupts….plant a tree….kooom by awe.

wjc

37. Loop_Garoo says:

In regards to these types of hits and suspensions or lack thereof; I have had the privelege of working with the NHL referees training camp on a number of occaisions, and have seen many of the documents and videos etc that pass between the league and the officials, have heard the way and type of discussions they have etc. There is absolutely no correlation between a players team and the way the game is called or the suspensions they get, none. Certain players get treated differently because of their history, but that is all. I think Chara should have been heavily penalized for his hit on Patches, but the lack of suspension has nothing at all to do with the fact that he wears a bruins jersey. Also, wanting a player to get hurt becuase of the team he plays for? like was said below, classless and small.

Greg

• Cal says:

Yeah, the refs have no bias. You have a bridge I can buy?
      Wanting to see Gooins players lying on the ice after all their bs? Karma.

• wjc says:

The trouble with Chara, was, you could not prove intent. You cannot assume anything. He threw a check, that was all, did he know where he was hitting him, yes, into the boards. Could you prove he new the stratechen was there. NO! Should the damn thing have been there in the first place…NO! Did they remove or modify it….YES!

You have to prove intent in anything. If he had hit him from behind into that thing they might have had a case. Patches was going for the puck and Chara was going for the man, a hockey play, happens all the time. Could Chara have decided to put Patches in that place with the puck with the stratchen sitting there would have been impossible.

Puck….Patches……boards……hit…..stratchen…..legal hit, bad spot for Patches…..but how does Chara manipulate all that in a fast game like hockey……THE PERFECT STORM. (all things came together at the same time)

wjc

38. Curtis O Habs says:

Our GM could beat up Boston`s GM. Is that worth anything? Do we get points for that?

39. La Duke 16 says:

I just watched the Scott hit for the first time.

One thing I noted with the fight with McQuaid is that once Scott started throwing punches – McQuaid went for the same hip flip that Orr used to knock out Parros. That is a very cheap move and extremely danderous as we saw with Parros.

• Curtis O Habs says:

Good eye, noticed that too.

• wjc says:

Hey its a fight, forget the Queensbury rules. Tie domi used to spin guys, Nilan threw the odd sucker punch, Ferguson pulled a sweater over they guys head and whaled away, guys trip, hit their hands on helmets, used to lose their shirts and you had nothing to grab on to.

I think Parros threw a punch and missed and went forward hitting his chin. Orr immediately stopped and signaled the bench….classy in my opinion.

Howe used to butt end guys , kick states, elbow them in the nose and face and was applauded for it. He even used the relection in the glass when it first came out replacing the screens and cold cocked Lou Fontinato when he was coming from behind.

Howe’s excuse ‘its a man’s game.” In other words if it to rough for you ‘piss off’.

wjc

40. Mats Naslund says:

John Scott is a joke. I hate the Bruins as much as anyone (and for the same reason I hate John Scott) – but I love this game more and honestly this morning I’m shaking my head. What other sport allows the worst players on the ice to take continual cheap shots against the very best the sport has to offer? It is Loui Eriksson of the Bruins this time – but it was Max Pacioretty before him and it could very well be Alex Galchenyuk or PK Subban next time. The best player in the sport has a ticking time bomb between his ears because of cheap-nothing plays by players who aren’t fit to do his laundry. Whatever they decide to suspend him for this hit will not be enough. He’s shown time and time again that his main purpose is to hurt people. Yes the Bruins have had a taste of their own medicine – but Loui Eriksson is an incredibly entertaining hockey player who could have to deal with the ramifications of this hit for the rest of his career and beyond. The league needs to do more to protect the guys who actually play the game, whose goal is to put the puck in the net – not to try to hurt somebody in the 4 minutes per night they see the ice. We’re watching an arms race to the bottom and I cannot wait until the day that the NHL gets serious about protecting what makes this sport compelling – the Crosby’s, Subbans, the Erikssons etc.

• Cal says:

I agree with the sentiment concerning head hunters going after skilled players. However, as long as the NHL has former goons running the “discipline” department, the league will continue to be a joke when it comes to player safety.

• wjc says:

Bruins will never run Miller again….he is keeping the other teams honest. Trouble with Scott or anybody that is 6’8″ is his shoulder does not line up with the average shoulder it lines up with the top of the head.

wjc

41. JM says:

I hate to see any player get hurt. After what Chara did to Pacioretty. It’s looks good on them only to the wrong player. Should have been one of their head hunters!!

42. adamkennelly says:

Scott will get suspended – even though the hit was not that bad. Frankly I was surprised he was able to deliver it without missing and falling down. Size difference played a big part – none the less – he deserves to sit out 5 or so games.

As they say – When in Rome…yes, please go on.

only reason Scott is there is because of what Lucic did to Miller – period. Thornton would not fight him earlier so this is what you get Bruins…I have no problem with it.

• Phil C says:

I think he did miss him somewhat, that’s why he got all head instead of a proper bodycheck. I doubt he was aiming for the head, its more likely he just missed his check, which would not be surprising as you point out.

• adamkennelly says:

he is such a terrible skater its quite comical to watch.. ..if Louis looks up, he dodges the hit and Scott ends up flying outta control in the boards – then someone on the Bruins jumps him and pounds away for the attempt…lesson of the day – keep your head up!

• Phil C says:

That’s why late hits are so dangerous. Even the pros who should know better sometimes get caught admiring their pass because they assume for second that they are safe because they don’t have the puck anymore.

43. mrhabby says:

My god..i wish folks would move on from players from the past..saku was a good player but can we stop treating him like royality or something like that…

• Luke says:

You are cheering for the wrong team, if you want Habs fans to move on fromt he past. It’s a large part of the identity.

Could be worse… you could be a Leaf fan preparing for another Tie Domi or Darcy Tucker ceremony.

• wjc says:

I agree, Koivu never won a scoring title, and they finished out of the playoffs too many times. He was injury prone and too small…..move on….he should have retired a couple of years ago.

wjc

44. Sportfan says:

I would have work on Sakus return -_-

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

45. Phil C says:

Re: Scott hit

I saw an interview with a scientiest on the news who studies concussions to explain why the Crosby concussion was so bad. He explained that when a player hits someone with their shoulder like that, their entire mass gets transferred into check resulting in a large amount of force being transferred into the opponent’s head. As well, because the hit was from the side, it also causes some rotational force on the head which is really hard on your brain and cause more damage than just a straight impact. The Scott hit reminds me of the Crosby hit. Long story short, I thought it was a dangerous hit and I hope he gets suspended.

46. TommyB says:

Have tickets to the Bulldogs game this Sunday. One player I was looking forward to seeing was Pateryn. He caught my eye during the pre-season and I thought he might be close to being NHL ready. Well, thanks for that MT. I guess the good news is I will see Tinordi play. Actually, the whole thing could be reversed by Sunday afternoon, or who knows who will be wearing a Dogs uni or a Habs uni come Sunday afternoon. Anyway, good to see another Dman getting a shot. I think we have been dreadful in our end the last few games, and that shouldn’t fall directly on Tinordi’s shoulders. Our vets have looked out of sync as well.

Two tough games are up next. Ducks and Sharks. Could be more roster mixing by Sunday. Hey, I’d love to see Desharnais on Sunday. (I know, I know, I’m not playing nice).

• Phil C says:

I thought Pateryn looked good in the preseason as well, except for his puck retrieval and first pass. I thought he was too slow with his decisions resulting in turnovers or missing his opportunity to make the easy play. If he has improved on that, he could be really a nice addition. The fact that he is a RH shot will allow Cube to play on the left again which should help his game as well.

Finishing up work and heading on the QEW outta Southern Ontario to Montreal. I am assuming it is plus 15 degrees Celsius, that I am smart to bring my golf clubs and there is no reason for a coat right?

Safe travels to all making passage today, tomorrow and Saturday.

48. Cal says:

All hail the Summiteers!
    Have a great time everyone!

Edit: Another 15 minutes well spent watching the HIO Show. My Thursday morning cup of coffee all season long. :)

49. Maksimir says:

It was posted below – but I fully agree with the notion that the only reason John Scott is in Buffalo is a direct result of Lucic running Miller… Boston (and really Toronto too) upped the goon quota in the division and other teams had to respond… Parros in Montreal, Kassian in Ottawa.

And now, what goes around, comes around for Boston…

• mksness says:

ya but that stuff has to be cleared out of the game. i say 10 games for scott. if you watched last night’s game you would be happy that lucic ate a puck in the face lol.

seriously though, i wouldn’t want to see anyone get hurt or knocked out. that’s serious stuff.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

I often wonder these days with many people calling for very long suspensions for player hit to the head…hits when a player is in a vulnerable position….knee on knee as well. While I agree suspensions are needed for deliberate hits to the head I am thinking that in the not so distant future hockey at this level will be nothing more than a skating exhibition of multimillion dollar players going up and down the ice…no hits…maybe softer pucks…would the majority people like this……..I somehow doubt it. The forum goes crazy when we sign George Parros and speaks volumes about many of the hockey fans. I think most of my generation likes hockey played rough and fast as possible. I am against major brawls for certain…most are. However a fight that erupts from passion is a great thing for my hockey appetite. Now in the future I wonder how many will be happy with the boring up and down the ice little in the way of hitting…no fighting…..don’t forget the lazy players will cheat you out of your watching experience in this format also….the Rene Bourques of the NHL will just be so happy to go up and down the ice at thier speed and collect their mulimillions of $ per year. Bendon Gallagher is my type of player…hard work every shift. Mayby are under the illusion that the speed increase of the NHL would be upped if we took the so called marginal players and tough guys out…..I doubt we’d see any increase in anything but laziness on the part of many more than is the case. All you have to do is watch the play-offs to get a sense of reality……the furious play of the play-offs can’t be sustained over a long season…so hope the ones that advocate all the tendencies towards removing all fighting and a huge suspensions for so called dirty hits…..also the borderline hits that are a result of players turning their back to the oncoming player ( and that happens a great deal ) enjoy the new NHL in the not too distant future. The alternative is to undo the rules changing the ways offsides are called by going back to the older tradtional rules. Call the rule book as it is…no more no less. This is my hope…I know chance of a snowball lasting in hell.

Just my feelings.

• Danno says:

So Daniel Brière gets a hit to the head and is out indefinitely and you hardly hear a mention of it in the media. In the same game Josh Gorges gets his head smashed against the glass behind the net and no penalty, nothing.

But Bruins Loui Eriksson gets injured due to a head shot by John Scott and there is universal outrage.

Where will Shanahan’s wheel of misfortune land on this one?

Will it be different justice because of the colour of the sweaters?

Stay tuned…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

50. Mattyleg says:

A big Good Luck and Bonne Route! to all the HI/Oers taking the trip to Montreal today!

Stay safe and see you all soon!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

51. Danno says:

A creation with a Koivu connection

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

52. RAM_TOUGH says:

Will Gomez get a warm welcome if he comes back to play against the Habs @ the Bell?

Lars told it like it was. Good for him. This BS about young players needing to shut up. They are a part of a team as well as the vets.

MT needs to be put out to pasture.

Guts-Glory-Ram

53. Old Bald Bird says:

I hope they pause long enough in player introductions to let the people applaud. Last time, there was no pause. It was classless. Hopefully, it was a PG thing.

It feels like Christmas! Going to our Summit.
    We are headed to the train station in 20min. Montreal will never be the same, about 175 of us are meeting up for the 2013 HIO Fan Summit. See you all there. And buy a lot of charity raffle tickets to support the under privileged kids.

ITINERARY & LOCATIONS
    We are staying at the Novotel hotel, discount rates at 866-861-6112 Tell them you are with HIO to get your discount.

We will all meet and greet at Hurley’s pub Friday eve. on Crescent St.
    Some of us will be having supper there, and name tags will be given out.
    Everyone is welcome to join us. Wear you team colors! and enjoy the evening.

Saturday morning, breakfast is at Chez Cora’s at 8:30am. 1240 Drummond St.
    You can order a la cart and everyone gets 15% discount off your bill.

After breakfast we walk over to the Bell Center for the Hall of Fame and Bell Center Tour.

At 3pm the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation charity raffle at the Baton Rouge restaurant 1050 Mountain St.
    Each person is asked to bring one gift item to donate for the charity raffle, so everyone gets a gift to go home with. After this years fund raiser, we will have donated over $10,000 to different children’s charities. This year we are supporting the Mtl. Canadiens Children Foundation.

Then our wonderful Baton Rouge Restaurant pre game dinner.

After dinner we walk across the street to the Bell Center and Hab’s game.

After the game the 2nd floor of Hurley’s pub is reserved for us again, to celebrate the win. Anyone may join us, just identify yourself as a HIO member.

Please be generous with your charity raffle gifts and your purchase of raffle tickets. It is a way for the HIO community to give back to less fortunate kids.

Everything is walking distance, so park your car for the weekend.
    Enjoy talking hockey and meeting your wonderful HIO community at this years Summit.
    Ian

Please read.
    Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments
    Ian Cobb

• TommyB says:

Hey Ian have a great time at the Summit. I haven’t been to a Summit for a few years now, and I’m envious each year when I read about it. Hey, maybe next year I’ll dust off my T-shirt from the original Summit and jump on board again. You know I’ll be wishing I was in Hurley’s Saturday night after the game. And to anyone going to the Summit for the first time…you are in for one glorious Habs weekend with fellow Habs fans. Hab fun!

• sudburyhabfan says:

Well I do not make too many comments on this site but I read it daily…even during the summer months. This Summit sounds like an absolute blast. Definitely going to consider joining next year!

Hopefully the game on Saturday is not too disappointing.
      Have a great time!!!
      Cheers!

55. JF says:

Here’s to a great time for everyone attending the Summit – a safe trip, a fun get-together, lots of pints, and a rousing victory for our Habs (although on the last point I’m not too hopeful). I’ve been contributing to this site for so long, almost since it started, that I’m beginning to think I might actually overcome my habitual shyness or reticence ad join you next year.

56. Maritime Ronn says:

Here’s hoping all you Summit folks have a great time this weekend.
    Keep us people living ‘far away’ on the East coast up to date about what’s going on.

57. DAVE. N says:

Louise and I won’t be at the Summit this year, but everyone please enjoy, raise a pint (or two),and cheer on! This is the one weekend we shouldn’t be giving anyone on the team grief. Let the positive energy (and the suds) flow.
    Have a good one.

58. Roy_s_WINK says:

All hail John Scott!

Seriously! No one wants to see anyone hurt but lets be honest about things here…if Boston didnt play such a tough, goon like game then they wouldnt have other teams (mostly in their division) taking so many wild checks and shots to their players!

How many of you wanted to see this happen to a Bruin, any Bruin, after the Chara hit? I know he just got traded for Tyler but poor Loui wears that disgusting yellow and black and therefore inherits the rivalries and existing beefs.

I might be in the minority but I love a brutal, teeth-rattling check. LOVE IT.

I don’t care if players get hurt because that is the risk you take when you play. That is partially why you get paid that much.

Millionaires hitting millionaires in a billionaires building.
    Occasionally someone is going to bleed. May as well be a team that dishes it out.

• DipsyDoodler says:

You’re wrong about the reason players get paid that much.

It’s just their share of the profits. Not danger pay.

But the notion that seeing a Bruin get hurt is a bit like seeing a Taliban get killed, well… you’re not completely off-base there.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Eriksson wouldn’t hurt a fly and usually gets about 10-15 penalty minutes a year.
      He has no Boston history.

If Scott wanted to pull that garbage, Lucic (hit on Ryan Miller) would have been a better target or even Chara-Thornton for that matter.
      Scot knew who was on the ice (Bergeron-Marchand-little tory Krug and McQuaid)

Now, if the moron Scott would have pulled that on Galchenyuk/Eller/Plex how would you feel about that?

• gmur says:

I agree. The hit was to the head… no fun. Scott, at the very least, should have hit shoulder-to-shoulder. He might have received a penalty for roughing.

My only gripe is the way the Bruins players on the bench (Thornton, Marchand, and no doubt Chara) react with such moral indignation at a hit like that. They must have very short-term memories. I guess it’s ok for them to crush opposing players’ vertebrae, but not to have one of theirs a bit groggy after a hit. Live by the sword…

• Habfan10912 says:

My gosh you’re up early. Maybe your new celebrity status? See you this afternoon!

• Maritime Ronn says:

burli
        tks for the link
        Lebrun is always a great read.
        Loved the way he opened up the article

” Watch a game at the Bell Centre with a blindfold on and you’ll know who has the puck by the buzz in the crowd. As the sense of anticipation grows, you picture people getting out of their seats, waiting to see what happens next.

By then, you know that defenseman P.K. Subban is on one of those rushes up the ice. It’s one thing to watch on TV, but it’s a different sensory experience to be in the rink itself.”

59. Dunboyne Mike says:

Good morning, Summiteers.
    You lucky b****ards!
    Best wishes from across the water to all of you for safe travel and for good times to be had by all.
    Go Habs Go
    Cheers

60. Fransaskois says:

We’re going to be looking at a real cap log-jam in the near future.

2014-2015

Cap Space: ~22.55

Eller (4.5) + Subban (8) + Emelin (3.5) = 16mil

Cap Space After Signings: ~5.65mil
    Positions left to fill: Top-4 Defenceman

2015-2016

Cap Space: 9.65mil (UFA Briere) + 5.5mil (Expiring RFA contracts)
    = ~15mil

RFA players to sign:
    Galchenyuk 3-6mil
    Gallagher 3-6mil
    Bournival 1.5-2mil
    Thomas 1.5-2mil
    Holland 1mil
    Beaulieu 2-4mil
    Tinordi 2-4mil

Even if we make every single one of our young players take a bridge contract, they’ll add up to about 14mil. Keep in mind, these young players are costing less than established veterans in their respective roles. This is even assuming that they are capable of filling these roles. I left the top-4 defenceman from 2014 left “unsigned” as a buffer in case the cap is raised.

I don’t think we’ll have the money to sign Markov and/or keep some of our higher-priced vets. We could be seeing some of these aging contracts moved (Bourque, Desharnais, Prust, Gorges etc.) in the next year or so.

Keep this in mind when you’re wanting to keep Markov at 5mil to play as a PP specialist or to have Plekanec (@5mil) as your 3rd line centre. Whether or not they can sustain their level of play may not be the biggest issue, we might just not be able to afford them.

• Maritime Ronn says:

good morning Frans

A few things in your analysis.
      I believe you used Cap Geek

There is a very good possibility that the Cap will increase between $5M-$7M per year starting next year meaning Cap Space could be close to $30M instead of 22M.
      Cap Geek does not take any increases into consideration moving forward

You will also notice on the Cap Geek analysis that it presently shows the projection of 17 forwards-9 Dmen/2 goalies for next year and that is 5 players above the maximum roster of 23.

Lastly, and depending on moves/trades between now and the Trade Deadline (March 5th) it may be premature to go through the exercise as we really don’t know who will be left, or who is coming in.

• dano58 says:

Not sure how high cap will go if Canadien dollar keeps slinding vs U.S. dollar as a great amount of profits come come a few Canadiens teams and if their dollar decreases so does their profits and likewise so does the cap. A situation to be looked at come next Spring.

GO HABS GO!!!

“Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reasons” (unknown)

“The excitement of the fans in Montreal,especially in the playoffs,I don’t think you can get that anywhere else. For a hockey player,I kind of wish everyone could go through that and experience what it is to play there. It’s very unique.” Saku Koivu

61. Un Canadien errant says:

@ Maritime Ronn, from the previous thread:

I’m sure that the dirty laundry was washed thoroughly in private. If I had a guess, Michel Therrien was shrugging and arching his eyebrows and going “WTF?”, and Lars had his head down and was embarrassed and said “Sorry Coach, it won’t happen again.” Case closed.

Separate to that though, the Coach has some media obligations that he has to fulfill, so after the game, he has to answer questions. When asked about Lars’ comments, he uttered the very innocuous response that they were inappropriate, and that he’ll learn from this. Nothing incendiary, nothing derogatory towards Lars, and nothing that can be interpreted as showing a lack of support for Lars. The kid knows he goofed, he probably feels sorry about it, but nothing Michel Therrien said can be interpreted as adding to that embarrassment.

The fact that Lars has been playing very well and that his line has been carrying the team’s offence so far has nothing to do with this incident and how it should be handled. In fact, if Michel Therrien gave him preferential treatment because of that, that would be a sure way to lose the room. The team knows Lars messed up, it’s no big deal, it’s been addressed, everyone can move on. If they thought that Lars got off easy because he’s scoring, but that the coach would have come down harder on Travis or Raphaël because they’re not having such a good start to their season, that would be a problem.

I’ll spend some time defining terms again though, because it’s important that we speak the same language. I completely disagree with the notion that Michel Therrien “called out” Lars. ‘Calling out’ someone means challenging someone on a specific issue, by name, seemingly unprovoked.

We saw John Tortorella call out some of his players when with the Rangers, when he would single out a player like Marian Gaborik or Brad Richards specifically, and say he needed more from them (never mind that Marian Gaborik was playing with a busted shoulder), or words to that effect. Whether that was too harsh or a good motivation ploy is something which can be debated, but all the articles described it as such, that the coach was calling out his player(s).

Another great example of a coach calling out his players is the LSU strength and conditioning coach who taped up a list of players to his office window stating he wouldn’t recommend them to scouts since they shirked their responsibilities.

So Michel Therrien did not call out Lars, he merely answered a question about Lars. That’s a qualitative difference, and it’s important to make it, since we have enough mountains around, we don’t need to convert any molehills into them.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

62. Mr. Biter says:

White leads all Habs centers with a 57.1 face off %.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

63. commandant says:

Loui Eriksson becomes yet another Bruin concussed on a cheap shot by an opponent.

Add him to a list that includes Savard, Bergeron, Horton, and Bergeron again.

Funny how all those big tough players, and fighters, and no one can PREVENT these things from happening.

Its just like I’ve always said, having enforcers is never about preventing injuries, its always about trying to get retribution after the fact.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• jols101 says:

If a team had 21 John Scott’s, they would never win a game or even score a goal, but I wonder if anyone would be taking any runs at them?

• Fransaskois says:

Almost seems as if their “style” invites cheap shots….

Very little respect for fellow players.
      Very little fear of the “retribution”.
      Very little sense to be made.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The sad truth is that Claude Julien and Cam Neely and Peter Chiarelli are reaping what they sow here. Their intimidation tactics along with Brian Burke’s “proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence” have forced the Sens to go out and get Matt Kassian to add to Chris Neil, the Canadiens to sign Brandon Prust and Douglas Murray and trade for George Parros, and the Sabres to add Steve Ott and John Scott to Patrick Kaleta. These moves were a direct response to the Bruins’ headshots and crosschecks and thug tactics. So Claude Julien and Peter Chiarelli created an unsafe working environment that is blowing back onto them.

Meanwhile, the submoronic Colin Campbell is still in charge, despite the mortal wound to his credibility (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Have-Savard-emails-exposed-NHL-s-Colin-Campbell-?urn=nhl-285531), and Gary Bettman is in Chavez Ravine making ice. Thumbs up!

• Maritime Ronn says:

Who ever said having tough players or fighters prevent injuries?
      No one on here I can remember.

Having some size and knowing someone has your back gives the skilled players both room and confidence to do what they do best.
      Everyone on the Habs was happy about having Parros on the team and the signing of Murray just for that reason.
      Unfortunately bad luck struck.

If there is no push back, then opposing players take liberties with the skilled guys.
      How many times have the Habs experienced that….and how many more times in the coming weeks will they be abused because there is no one to watch over them?
      Watch what goes on with the Eller line in the next 10 games if the lineup is the same…or did you forget how Gionta was run during the Edmonton game?

• Ozmodiar says:

Exactly. Towards the end of the infamous Leaf game last year, Orr was taking a run @ Pleks and knocking out Bourque.

This year, at the end of the game, Orr was in the dressing room.

64. JM says:

I would move DD on the 4th line before I would trade him for Kopecky. Florida would get the best of that deal…

65. slyCH says:

Forget Parros, forget White, heck off Laraque, maybe they should sign this guy as our next enforcer.

And with the Sharks coming this saturday, could be the perfect audition.

66. desertman says:

Hearing a lot of talk about Desharnais for Kopecky.

1. How realistic do you think this trade talk is?
    2. Would you do it? (kopecky has 0 points in 10 games, but he kills penalties and hes MOAR big)

3. Where is the schedule for the summit? I can’t attend the game, but I live here so I would love to grab a drink with you guys at Hurleys.

67. Marc10 says:

Will have to make the Summit one day. Almost weaseled a business trip over to NY to make it, but it fell through… One day…

Ducks, eh… And then followed by San Jose. Habs are going to regret not winning those two winnable match ups earlier in the week. Hopefully they find a way. They usually play their best hockey against the better teams and then give points away for free against lesser competition.

Fearless prediction. If Koivu scores, he’ll get a monstrous standing ovation. I would expect knowledgeable and classy fans would do the same for the great Teemu. Hopefully we blank them and they still get applauded.

68. Donkey Hoat says:

Classy guy, Mr Koivu; I hope he gets another long standing O.

Sholi, how do I get the “Timo says you suck” t-shirt? I am a little biased, but I think it’s a work of art.

Rob (Calgary), Ian and Burly… you guys are all mentioned in Stu’s article. Congratulations for making it to the bigs.

71. 416erHabsFan says:

2nd? It’s going to be good to see a koivu again, It’s been a while since the Habs have had a leader like him. Might just have to dust off my old Koivu jersey for the game tomorrow. I saw on the Bulldogs website that Pateryn has been called up.

First!!!