Weise after Habs debut: “Just to put the jersey on was amazing” (Video)

(Photo: The Canadian Press/Graham Hughes)

It was Ryan White’s first night back in the lineup since early January and Dale Weise’s first game as a Hab. Along with Michaël Bournival, their line won praise from coach Michel Therrien for their performance in the Canadiens 2-0 victory over the Calgary Flames.

White missed 14 games with an upper-body injury, but showed no rust leading the Canadiens in shots on goal with six. Weise, who was acquired from the Vancouver Canucks on Monday in exchange for Raphael Diaz, had three shots on goal and three hits.

Therrien liked the fourth line’s chemistry.

“In addition to directing the puck at the net, they spent a lot of time in the offensive zone,” he said.

Weise, a 6-foot-2, 210-pound forward grew up a Canadiens fan.

“It was awesome. I love this building,” Weise said, of stepping out onto the Bell Centre ice for Tuesday’s game.

“Just to put the jersey on was amazing.”

His father is a big Habs fan and Weise recounted his dad’s excitement on Tuesday.

“He kept calling me in the afternoon. And I was like ‘Dad, shouldn’t you be working, A, and B, I’m trying to sleep here. So relax a little bit,” Weise said.

White and Bournival are easy to play with, he said.

“I thought we were simple. We work hard and we’re hard on pucks, tenacious and we’ve got some good speed on our line. I thought that created a little bit of havoc for (the Flames),” he said.

“This is an awesome team to play on,” Weise said. “I just think the team speed here is incredible.”

You can hear more of what Weise had to say here:

You can listen to what White had to say here: (He makes an allusion to slew-footing coach Michel Therrien at the morning skate on Tuesday)

And you can watch what Bourque had to say here:

(Video: Brenda Branswell)

1. rhino514 says:

Eller is not just an average third line centre. He scored 30 points in 48 games last year, and the majority of thos points came in the last third of the season; by season´s end he was the most dominant centre on the team.
    He deserves to get support every bit as much as Desharnais has gotten. Playing with Bourque and Prust is a far cry from playing with the team´s two best wingers, Pacioretty and Gallagher,
    It´s small wonder his confidence has taken a beating, as those guys are not very good finishers.
    I hope he at least gets Gaclehnyuk back on his wing, and if it were up to me I would put Gallagher back with him as well. Guaranteed he would be doing a lot better. They have to get him going because if they do, the team improves quite a bit; suddenly they would have 3 centres who, though not elite, would all be threats.

2. Say Ash says:

Diaz played 25:26 minutes tonight!

• slyCH says:

And he scored a goal, so what, who cares, good riddance…NEXT.

• Propwash says:

Hard for him to do that here parked in the pressbox.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Habilis says:

Holy Hell.

Good for him and all, but Vancouver’s D must be bad if he’s getting top 3 minutes. I don’t watch enough Western games to know. Guess we’ll see Thursday.

• FormalWare says:

Yes – really telling that both Diaz and Weise immediately jumped into significant roles on their new teams. Makes one wonder why this trade didn’t happen months ago.

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Easy. Kevin Bieksa, Chris Tanev and Yannick Weber, all right-handed defencemen, were all hurt in the last week. That’s the reason for the timing of this trade. They didn’t need him before that, they wanted to get bigger on the blue line, like every other team.

Vancouver can’t take on much salary, so they can swallow Raphaël modest cap hit until the end of the season, and he can help out until Messrs. Tanev and Bieksa are ready to go.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Hey, where you been, UCE?

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• slyCH says:

In a better place. For sure.

• Un Canadien errant says:

My visits have been sporadic since HIO was taken over by a gang of trolls and one-track-minded posters. I wish the moderators would be more active in bouncing new members who come on and obviously just want to wreck things, instead of participate in a conversation with other Hab fans. I maintain that new members should be on super-duper probation for a couple of months. If they’re ruining the party, they’re shown the door.

3. 25Stanleycups says:

Weise’s sentiment on just putting the jersey on is amazing, is probably the exact feeling many players feel when the get to Montreal and why most likely they feel so entitled and never strive for anything else and flounder. They need to shift that mentality, and work your asses off to show your appreciation for this honour. Plex, Subban, and Gallagher are probably the only three HABS that consistently do that. Every one else floats for sometimes stretches at a time.

4. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Some around here seem spellbound like giggly schoolgirls by Lars Eller’s blond, boyish good looks. Because nothing he does on the ice merits the support he gets.
    Meanwhile, wee Davey gets raked over the coals regularly, even though he is far more skilled and productive, and is minus 1 compared to Eller’s minus 9.
    Face it: Eller is, and always will be, a 3rd liner at best!

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Timo says:

That may as well be however we’ll never know until Eller gets as much support from his coach as Wee Davey does/did.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Good players make other players good. Not the other way around. Eller is an average player. That’s what you get from him. I know Davey gets put down for his size, but he is creative with the puck. He just needs to shoot more. AND they need another big-body on that line (thus freeing up the two Gallys to resume their synergy.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Timo says:

Hey, you are not getting and argument from me. I don’t think Eller is great either. I was never happy with trading Halak for him and I still maintained Habs could have gotten more. However, I do believe that with proper coaching and support (which he doesn’t get) Eller would have been a lot better than he currently is.

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Totally agree about the trade. But we’ll never know what he might have been. Therrien’s gonna be here for at least one more season.

Yes, I feel your pain. :)

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• FormalWare says:

Larry is in a terrible slump. I honestly don’t know what could account for such an anemic performance, of late. (Anemia?)

He has so much more going on, though, than DD. His ceiling definitely places him as one of the starting centres on a Cup contender. DD’s ceiling? This is it.

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Sorry, I just don’t see Eller’s ceiling being quite so golden. He’s a useful 3rd line center. But nothing beyond that. 1 point in 15 games! -9!

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

5. billylove says:

Good to get a regulation win but cant help thinking that you could combine both rosters and still wouldnt have a cup contender.

6. HabsLifer says:

Flukie!

———————————
    Claude Provost Rocked!

“I just think the team speed here is incredible.”

LOL, he must have not noticed Douglas Murray in the lineup tonight. Btw, I think Murray was an unsung hero for that heroic 2 min 5 on 3 kill. Him, Gorges and Prust did hell of a job on the kill.

Who is the jerk who put his hand in front of a pretty lady’s face?