Wedding part of busy summer for Habs’ Gorges

This has been a busy summer for Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges, who flew to Hawaii last month to wed Maggie Morrison in a storybook wedding.

“It was everything I hoped it would be, and more,” Gorges told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs. “We wanted a small, intimate wedding and that’s exactly what it was, just closest of family and friends there (about 55 in all).

“When Maggie and I decided to go to Maui to be married, she took on all the work. I just kinda sat back and did whatever she told me to do that would help,” he added, laughing. “It wasn’t much. It was all Maggie.”

The newlyweds will be in Washington state in a few weeks for the wedding of goalie Carey Price and his fiancée, Angela Webber, who were at Gorges’s ceremony, and then will travel back to Montreal to fine-tune preparations for next month’s training camp.

Meanwhile, Alex Galchenyuk earned himself a little downtime this summer after his successful rookie season with the Canadiens.

“I took a trip to Miami to watch a Miami Heat playoff game, which was a lot of fun,” Galchenyuk told Canadiens.com during an appearance at the Habs’ hockey school in Brossard.

Earlier in the week, Connor McDavid, who is looking to become only the sixth 16-year-old to make Team Canada for the world junior tournament, was in Brossard for the national team’s summer evaluation camp.

“I would say my favourite Habs player is P.K. Subban,” McDavid said. “I know his younger brother, Jordan (a defenceman with the Belleville Bulls, who was drafted by the Vancouver Canucks this year), and I’ve been following P.K. when I got to know Jordan. Obviously, (P.K.’s) an unbelievable player and he had a great year this year winning the Norris (Trophy).”

McDavid added that he thinks the Canadiens have one of the nicer uniforms in the National Hockey League.

“I think they have great uniforms,” he said. “I would say they’re probably some of the better jerseys in the league, but my favourite is probably Detroit’s.”

When it was mentioned he’d look quite good wearing a Canadiens sweater, McDavid chuckled and said: “That would be something pretty special.”

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

Marriage part of a busy summer for Habs’ Gorges, by Dave Stubbs

Summer of Galchenyuk, Canadiens.com

McDavid could be a Sweet 16 for Team Canada, montrealgazette.com

Habs reaching out to their fans via their phones, montrealgazette.com

1. Wallie_09 says:

Way to go Gorges Congrats!

2. Luke says:

@Maritime Ron

Well, they must be pretty flexible little critters than.
    I know people who will eat ‘em with anything.

The Wine and Oysters match, I thought was standard. Crisp Whites like Reisling or Gerwurtz & Sparklings… (I do not enjoy the sparklings!)

And considering that I’ve been putting hard liquor on oysters as a dressing… and I’m sure beer goes fine too… Gotta say, I’m impressed with them!

I was always under the impression that Beer and Mussels were the pairing… but truthfully, I figure to just eat whatever I like with whatever I want to drink… sure some pairings are great, but I’ve found very few that were actually that bad.

(Please refer to my craft brew-pub rant from a few months back).

• Maritime Ron says:

Hey Luke

As the old saying goes, eat and drink-mix and match, whatever makes YOU happy.

I remember once upon a time that the so called ‘experts’ never recommended white wine with meat, or reds with fish and fowl.
      The ‘experts’…too funny, yet many people sheep followed…

3. Maritime Ron says:

@ Un Canadien errant

To quote you once again… :-)
    ” ….the notion that Josh Gorges can put on appreciably more muscle is a pipe dream….He’s a grown man, he’s as big as he’s going to get, he’s mature physically…”
    —————
    Respectfully disagree.

Gorges is 28 years old, and while his vertical growth is over, any Pro athlete can always become ‘stronger’ and that doesn’t have to result in significant weight gain.

Just look at Josh.
    He is visibly lean (low body fat) as are most of today’s NHLers, yet he could considerably help himself and the Habs with a better strength regime even if that meant adding 5-10 lbs – and this is from a Gorges supporter.

Regardless of what company he works out with, or whom his work out partners happen to be, Josh has shown he lacks that particular strength when required…and the beating he takes/has taken, cries out for a more strong athlete because of the honest, non-cheating way he plays the game.

‘Lean and light’ should not be his end goal.

Rob Scuderi (34 years old) has the same height, yet is an impressive and solid 13 pounds heavier, and has both proven and performed to a higher level because of that tiny bit of extra strength…and a great NHL IQ that Gorges has and will acquire.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Let’s agree to disagree. I’ll stand by what I’ve written on this matter today, and a post from a couple months ago.

• Maritime Ron says:

That’s fine, and there is never any problem with agreeing to disagree as long as it includes some respectful thought and proven facts vs emotional opinion void of reality.

Perhaps we could agree to agree with that.
        I will never post an “I think” without fact or a stats back-up, because I have been in a room…and a room can be far different than a printed story or stories, or a deemed fan reality.

• Habfan17 says:

Hey Maritime,

You are correct! When I was 42, I joined a gym and for the first time worked with a trainer to get into hockey shape. I was worried about getting older and since I was not as active as I once was, did not want to worry about heart attacks! My trainer put together a program and I lost 5lbs of fat, and gained 7 pounds of lean muscle. I could have gained a little more, but that was not my goal.

It was a struggle for me. I was always very active and had a hard time adding weight. Until I started to read about proper training and nutrition and hired a trainer.

It would be nice if Gorges would go out and work at it. It is much easier for the receently drafted players as they are still maturing physically, but not impossible for the older, established players.

Habfan17

Don’t you think Gorges has been in a gym for the last 10-12 years. The guy isn’t a couch potato just starting to figure out it is time to get in shape. To compare his workouts with yours or mine, seems ridiculous to me.

• Habfan17 says:

I do believe he does train and have a trainer. That is not to say that the program he is on is for adding muscle. It could be primarily a cardio program. Or a program designed to maintain his current strength and cardio.

Habfan17

• Un Canadien errant says:

17, I agree that hockey players should train hard in the gym during the off-season. I’m not denying that at all. What I am saying is that he does that already, in the gym under a professional trainer’s supervision. As I wrote in my other posts today, he’s really close to his ceiling, there’s no easy wins left for him whereby he’ll magically add those 10-15 lbs everyone seems to want him to put on. Follow the link below, it describes the sort of training that Josh does during the summers.

• Habfan17 says:

I missed that post. I would agree with that. As I mentioned in my post. After gaining some muscle, it became a struggle. Our natural body types does restrict the gains. Unless you cheat and use “other” resources. From reading Maritime Ron’s post, I thought there was a dispute over whether fully matured adults could add muscle.

My mistake and apologies!

Habfan17

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, I had a long convo with zephyr about Josh’s training habits and anabolic potential, we mostly agreed but he still seems to think there’s some gains to be had, and I differ a little bit, think Josh is probably maximizing his potential, as you and I would if we were paid to train and eat salmon every day. Not a bad life.

4. ClutchNGrab says:

So Carey Price was at Gorges’ wedding and no mention of Subban being there… where’s l’Antichambre when we need it?

5. HabFab says:

USA beats Finland 4-3 in a shoot out. Lehkonen with a goal and McCarron had no stats.

All you can eat!,
    Right off the boat!, Raw Oysters! raw scallops, cooked 2lb lobsters, dipped into garlic butter, and cold beer.
    Two or three times a year, when I was living on my ranch in N.B.
    Some of the best times of my life with great maritimers. Miss it!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• HabFab says:

I chowing down on a feed of large shrimp done in garlic butter… a little shell removing and yum!!

• Luke says:

Haha

Best piece of fish I have ever eaten was a shore lunch in Labrador. A beautiful Pike we had hooked through the gill. It wasn’t going to make it. 10 minutes off the hook, including time in the pan.

My brother lives in Florida, right next to Mayport. Non-stop seafood… Scallops to die for… and everyone knwos how to cook it down there!