Weary Habs get day off after loss in Phoenix

Coming off a 5-2 loss to the Coyotes Thursday night in Phoenix, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien decided to give his players a day off Friday in San Jose as they prepare to face the Sharks Saturday night (10 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690) in the final game of their four-game West Coast road trip.  The Canadiens also announced there would be no media availability on Friday.

Fatigue seemed to catch up with the Canadiens Thursday night in Phoenix.

“We started the game like a team that had played last night (in Anaheim), travelled and got in here at 3 a.m.,” Therrien told reporters after the game in Phoenix. “We looked like a team that was playing its sixth game in nine nights. By the time we got our legs under us, we were playing catch-up.”

Thomas Vanek, who was acquired from the New York Islanders at Wednesday’s trade deadline, made his Canadiens debut in Phoenix, playing on a line with Tomas Plekanec and Brian Gionta. Vanek had 15:34 of ice time, including 4:11 on the power play, produced one shot on goal and was minus-1.

“They’re two great players but it doesn’t happen in one night. Practice will be important tomorrow,” Vanek told reporters in Phoenix about his linemates after the game and before Friday’s scheduled practice was cancelled. “Gio found me a couple of times out there. For me it’s just about studying their habits and getting to know their routes so I can contribute with them better.”

Defenceman Mike Weaver, acquired from the Florida Panthers this week, also made his Habs debut, getting 15:22 of ice time and finishing minus-1.

The Canadiens will return home after Saturday’s game and face the Boston Bruins Wednesday night at the Bell Centre.

(Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

Habs vs. Sharks preview, NHL.com

Habs’ Stanley Cup odds get a boost, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Habs get day off in San Jose, by Pat Hickey

Fellow Habs fan found in India, Letter to the Sports Editor

Canadiens run out of steam in Phoenix, by Pat Hickey

Habs rue ‘mental mistakes’ in loss, by Pat Hickey

Habs vs. Coyotes photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Mix and match for Habs, Canadiens.com

Wounded rearguard Gorges heads home, by Pat Hickey

Good first day on job for Tokarski, Canadiens.com

Sabres fan club growing in Greenfield Park, by The Gazette’s Stu Cowan

1. smiler2729 says:

Is Price playing tonight?

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

2. chrskwn says:

max pac — dd — vanek
    galchenyuk — eller — gallagher
    briere — plekanec — gionta
    moen — white — weise
    SHAKE EM UP MT!!!

NHL award candidates at the 3/4 pole. No Price, no Pleks?

• Habcouver says:

This is just a writer’s opinion, right?
      I’m not too surprised about Price. I am surprised about Pleks not being considered.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• CJ says:

Scott Cullen is the laziest journalist in professional sports. I say this because I am guessing that he has either not watched a game live this season, doesn’t understand the game, or relys solely on the boxscore. Perhaps its a bit from colum A, B and C.

That is a terrible list. Sorry to be so candid, but I really think some of the choices are ubsurd.

4. SmartDog says:

People need to remember that Collberg is not necessarily a throw-away prospect. He’s been highly rated over and over. I’m not saying I disagree with the trade, just that I disagree that Collberg is a B level prospect. Remember when they traded McDonagh, those great judges of talent, Pierre Gauthier and Bob Gainey had given up on him. Collberg could yet be a regret.

EDIT: But I agree with 24 Cups. Time to move on and hopefully Vanek gives us full due and we can enjoy a couple rounds of playoff hockey.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• JUST ME says:

-If you are telling me we traded away a guy like McCarron supposed to be a decent and big power forward then i have a problem with it.
      -If you are telling me we gave away Fucale our next supposed number one goaler i have a problem with that since the farm system is anxiously waiting for new young blood in goals.
      -If you are telling me that we traded away a first round draft choice i have a problem with that because it has an obvious value either in the choice of a good player or a trade for a good player or a trade to have a better ranking in the first round draft.
      -If you are telling me you have traded away a Colberg very talented ,skilled but average size player then i say that we have plenty of those in the system.

You have to give something good to get something good in return wich is all in honor of Colberg potential. The simple fact that Bergevin gambled is good news for most fans and most HIO fans that have been complaining aboit the conservative attitude of the managements of the Habs in the past decades.
      Everybody is a winner in that story cause Bervegin is still on track with his plan ,fans get a boost of confidence and the Islanders are not empty handed. Now tell me that any of those 3 conclusions will give results and by the same token, the lottery numbers.

• Mark C says:

If you really think Collberg is a A level prospect then who cares if they traded him? The Habs have 5 or 6 other A level prospects!

Lots of talk about the future value of Collberg. Last year I did an informal study of the past ten drafts and found there is about a 1/3 chance of a second rounder making the NHL and having a 200+ game career.

Collberg went 33rd overall but was projected to even go higher, maybe the bottom half dozen of the first round. Hab fans were pretty ecstatic to get him as their 2nd pick. As for the 2nd rounder going to the Isles, that pick would be in the bottom third of the second round. This isn’t very scientific but I’d say the Isles have a 2/3 chance of getting a regular from these two assets.

As I mentioned yesterday, it is now apparent that the Kesler trade option had a significant bearing on the trade front which eventually had the impact of driving down the market value of UFAs. Without Kesler’s trade demands, I seriously doubt that the Habs would have landed Vanek.

Is it a good move? My first reactions were negative in that I thought MB was backing away from his overall plan. This team has a history of giving up too many 2nd rounders due to a lack of depth in the system. However, they were never looking at a guy like Vanek and the East seems to be open for an upset. I would have given the Bruins the best chance of going to the final but Meszaros isn’t the equal of Seidenberg.

Montreal’s two 2nd rounders are now history. As long as it doesn’t become a habit I can now live with the move. In theory, it should change a lot of things for the Habs in terms of their options on the ice. The only question now is will Vanek bring his A game. Regardless of whether he does or not, I don’t think we should spend the next five years bitching about the lost picks. The team has bigger issues moving forward.

Tickets to the Disney on Ice for wife and kid – check.
    Beers in the fridge – check.
    Chicken wings acquired – check.
    You all know what the outcome of tonight’s game will be :)

• 24 Cups says:

How the mighty have fallen. Young, hip guy from Calgary now busy doing the daddy dance. It’s a long and winding road, Timo. Stay positive, be a good role model and don’t worry about the small stuff. I could make a list of all the things that I worried about and thought were important. However, that list would be longer than a Rene Bourque scoring slump. Now, after all these years, I realize they mean very little.

7. Odie24 says:

Did the people who are voting yes to the poll question just start watching hockey this month?

• Mustang says:

The poll asks if the Habs can win the cup this year, not WILL they win. Any team that makes the playoffs can win and unless the wheels really fall off, the Habs will make the playoffs this year. How far they go is another question.

8. Thomas Le Fan says:

It still kills me that “everybody knows” what Thomas Vanek is doing next season. Here are the actual facts.
    1. He plays for the Montreal Canadiens.
    2. He’s played one game.
    3. Scoring wise, he may or may not be what we need.
    4. He may or may not like playing in Montreal depending on how he plays and how well the team does April onward.
    5. Who knows? His wife may not actually like Minneapolis in January.
    6. Heck, he may not even like his wife or her parents.
    7. The Wild may do so well with the latest influx of talent that they may decide they do not want or need Vanek (depending on how he plays here).
    8. The world may end with an asteroid strike.
    9. The Wild might move to Seattle.
    10. Everybody knows squat.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• UKRAINIANhab says:

The Wild might move? Really?

• Paz says:

People discuss “possibilities” on this site. That’s what makes it interesting.

• wjc says:

I do know this: Snow got something for nothing, Collberg and a 2nd.
      Vanek is going to test the free agent market and hope
      bidding is lively.

Canadiens need to make the finals, because losing in
      losing in the third round will still be considered failure.

Knowing squat is still something

• Hobie Hansen says:

Snow would be fired for being totally incompetent at season’s end if the owner of the Islanders wasn’t completely off his rocker.

• GGtheHab says:

Snow got prospects….prospects…that may never pan out..even if u dont like having Vanek we still got a 5th, which amounts to getting Weaver for free…and Gally was a 5th rounder so who knows?

• Blade says:

C’mon, wjc…I still remember your post a month or so ago that you had a dream about this team…similar to dreams you had in ’93 and 2010…that it would go far. Vanek helps your dream, man. Be happy!

Sure, he may not be back, but enjoy the ride !

• wjc says:

That is true and I do not dispute that Montreal will have a long playoff run, and Vanek will play a big part. If people are happy with that, then so am I.

I stand by my prediction of a month ago. I just feel the price was too high, I hope I am wrong because next training camp people will become upset if Collberg start showing something.

That second rounder could also be a it or miss. But if it is a hit, the posters will have a field day agreeing with me, only 9 months after the fact.

I do not want to be right, but my gut tells me this was BAD, especially with Vanek long gone.

• ffenliv says:

Your faith in the power of prospects is, I think, a bit overstated.

I also wouldn’t call not making the finals a ‘failure’. I usually disregard the ‘get the kids some playoff experience’ line misguided, because I don’t think a one-round blowout does any good. But a good second, or even third round? I can see some value there.

We’ll see in a few years what the deal with the prospects is. It’s not like he gave away a first overall with a ‘next one’ in the draft.

• wjc says:

The NHL, or sports in general, live off of prospects. That is what keeps everything going. Every player at one time was a prospect.

Gallagher was a 5th round prospect and Patriocetty was a first round prospect, and Subban was a 2nd round prospect. These players are what Montreal is built on. I am sure you could name many that just did not materialize into anything.

The point is Collberg is not a player you give away, he is ready to make the jump. A third rounder is my limit for a rental, just my opinion.

• Old Bald Bird says:

You can repeat what you “know” all day, but it doesn’t necessarily make it so.

• HammerHab says:

Incorrect. Collberg and a 2nd cost Garth Snow Matt Moulson, a 1st, a 2nd and a 5th

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• ont fan says:

I agree completely. Does Vanek and family speak any French?

• Habcouver says:

I tune into HIO just because “everyone knows”! :D

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• 24 Cups says:

In terms of parallels, I really don’t see many in terms of the core issues.

Roy left Montréal because all four parties involved couldn’t get a grip and find a compromise. To me, all four are somewhat guilty and that certainly includes Roy.

As for Luongo, it all starts and ends with his contract. In terms of blame I don’t think you can pin it on him. That blame belongs to the owners, Gillis and the NHLPA.

• wjc says:

In both cases money was the issue. Believe it or not Roy had already been shopped by Savard. He was too good and as a result to expensive for Montreal at the time.

Vancouver wanted to get out from under the Luongo contract and the term that was left.

Both players found a new home and Montreal had little choice in the matter because he was heading to 6 million dollars a lot of money back then.

• Habcouver says:

Two mishandled goalies, for sure.
      When Roy was traded, it came as such a surprise because of the team’s storied past and present successes.
      When the Luongo debacle commenced, I wasn’t the least surprised because I never had faith in the core management and ownership. Never.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• wjc says:

The business of hockey eludes you. Management has to turn a good profit and that is something that has to be put into the equation.

• Habcouver says:

I appreciate the response. I do understand the business side of hockey but I’m presenting my view as a hockey fan (sorry for not being more specific with my emotional aspect).
          I come from an era where hockey was not a major business. :)

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
          Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

9. UKRAINIANhab says:

Hoping for a big win tonight. Hopefully Vanek starts to fit in however, the poor guy has not even had a practice yet. Also, If im Bergevin this is Tinordi’s last chance tonight. How much longer can we put up with the bad pinches and turnovers just because he is young. I just have no clue how Tinordi is up over Beaulieu at this point in time.

• SmartDog says:

Glad you’re not the coach! Or with that attitude, maybe you are…. Michel is that you?

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Slackman says:

Dude, Tinordi made one mistake as far as I can tell. He’s playing fine hockey otherwise. We have a big, hard hitting, tough but surprisingly agile defenseman in Tinordi, and paired with Murray is the most physically intimidating defense duo in recent memory. You seem to be expecting another D-man of Markov or Subban’s caliber. Tinordi isn’t there yet. He will develop over time, but to do that he will inexorably make mistakes, learn from them, gain wisdom and experience, and eventually be a powerhouse D-man.

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

Staying at the Novatel with one of my son’s!
    Hope to visit with a few HIO friends at Hurley’s Pub Wed. night after the Boston game!! Head back to Belleville by train next morning!

11. I have seen the light___Goal! says:

So they had 1 game to gel.
    I expect big things tonight.
    Scorefest!

12. GGtheHab says:

before we all move on to the new thread I just want to apologize to trini for my comments last night..mark it down to being tired from staying up midnight too many times this week, an over reaction to something that usually wouldnt bother me..we are all brothers in here united by the bond that is the CH…hope there are no hard feelings..

13. Prop says:

Apparently Bozon was induced into an artificial coma :(

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

14. Paz says:

Look I think Vanek can help us. He’s a scorer and that’s exactly what we needed!!

But….for two years we’ve been told that the Habs would not trade prospects and high draft picks for short term gain.

And this deal is no different than trading a 2nd round pick for the The Wiz, who I Loved, and I definitely would have signed for what was ridiculous money back then. I said it then, and I still believe it today.

So if I was Bergevin I am prepared to throw huge money, 7,5 mil, and huge term, 7 years, at Vanek, or I do not make the trade at all.

Either you add a big piece to the puzzle or you don’t do rental deals.

• Cal says:

A player with Vanek’s offensive potential cost a 2nd and Collberg when you team is in the top 3 in the conference? In a heartbeat, UFA or not. MB is happy to give this team a shot in the arm as the playoffs approach. Vanek may or may not sign, but the Habs have him for at least 18 games and the first round. If he finds some chemistry with Pleks and Gionta and gives the Habs two scoring lines right now, why is that so awful? This “building for the future” bit depends a lot on young players becoming bonafide NHLers. The odds on that happening are pretty long.

• Paz says:

You realize that I agree it’s a good move to pick up Vanek right?

What I don’t agree with us what Gauthier did.

The Wiz told the media after he signed with Columbus that Montreal never contacted him and never made him an offer the entire time he was here.

While PG no doubt has some excellent skillsets (he is still working in the NHL) but he really seemed to have an arrogant way of doing business. It is one of the reasons I am willing to be so patient with MB, he is willing to learn from his mistakes. I don’t think PG ever believes he has made a mistake.

• Prop says:

The Wiz was brought in as a rental to aid in an ailing powerplay. Also Markov was out with the knee injury.

____________________
            DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Paz says:

I can’t stand people like Gauthier actually. I would never willingly do business with people like that.

@Prop, Realize that, but think how great it would be to have him on our 2nd pairing right now and running the 2nd wave of the powerplay? Totally understand the concept of a rental, but no reason to throw something away. At least try and retain the asset if the fit is good. Wiz fit really good!

• Prop says:

I agree that he would be great as the 2’nd unit powerplay QB, the cost to keep him could have been astronomical.

____________________
            DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• wjc says:

The only trouble is ‘the spin doctors’, in a couple of years they will say why did Montreal give up on Collberg and throw in a second rounder.

This will be called another Montreal bungle.

wjc

At the time of the Wiz trade I thought it was crazy to offer him big money to stay. I thought Columbus way overpaid. His contract looks pretty good now.

I would love to see MB try and retain the asset Vanek, some big moves will have to occur to make it happen, but I suspect you are on to something. I dont think MB is keen on losing assets for nothing.

Who knows how this deal works out, but no matter what at least MB has shown he has the abilities to make deals, and by all accounts he made a fair deal as far as what the expected cost would be for Vanek.

• Paz says:

Absolutely. After Bergevin saw what Price did in Sochi under the most intense pressure, he knew he had a goalie who could win the Stanley Cup THIS YEAR.

I was thinking likewise watching the Olympics.

Price has arrived big time!

• wjc says:

This deal was a no brainer for Snow. He got something for nothing.

Vanek was gone and he knew it, he could not intice him to stay so he grabbed the best deal on board. A third rounder is what I would have offered and if he didn’t take it I would have passed like everyone else did.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya Paz, I don’t think we exactly mortgaged the future by trading a 2nd round pick and a 2nd tier prospect to rent Vanek. If we would have traded Beaulieu and a 1st then I’d be with you!

I can live with losing a player in Collberg who’s a long shot at becoming a regular top 6 player in the NHL and a 2nd rounder. The Habs have 4 or 5 similar players to Collberg in the system in Bozon, Vail, Crisp, Hudon, McCarron and a better Swede in De La Rose.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Sometimes business plays a factor.
      It’s great to sell some Hope and keep the season ticket holders, the fans in general, and the sponsors in happy mode.
      A few extra partial playoff gates also puts smiles on the ownership group…extra bucks + the ability to increase sponsorship rates next year.

• wjc says:

Maritime Ronn, at the end of the year the NHL corp. issues cheques to all 30 teams. These cheques are worth millions of dollars weather you make the playoffs or not.

An extra round is fine, but season ticket holders are going nowhere in Montreal and sponsors are lined up. Playoffs or not Montreal ownership has smiles. Of course playoffs are nice and they were already pretty much guaranteed a round or two.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

At some point, the cupboard is overstocked. Some of it hasn’t aged properly. Some of it isn’t as advertised. Some of it just isn’t ever going to ripen. Some of it might go bad if not moved. Managing the larder is no easy matter but it must be done. At the end of the day, there is only so much room on the big table.
      Had enough? Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Phil C says:

Wiz was brought in to make the playoffs. Vanek was brought in to try to win the Cup. I see that as a huge difference.

I also think it is possible that the Habs could have been sellers at the deadline, but it became obvious that it was not a sellers market so they realized that a guy like Vanek could be had for a prospect that had fell down the depth chart. I don’t think this deal was possible without guys like De La Rose and Lehkonen in the system so depth in forward prospects also played a role.

I also think they will try to sign him, so again that makes it different from the Wiz situation. I really liked Wiz as well, perfect fit in Montreal.

It’s not a deal you can make every year, but occasionally you have to take a shot.

• Paz says:

As long as they throw a big fat deal at Vanek, I’m fine with it. But you have to at least try and sign your rental when you get a payer that will continue to help you for years to come.

15. New says:

Vanek. To get a good player you have to give up something good. To win anything there is risk. People with the opportunity and fortitude to take risks either reap great rewards or fail. Most people never try.

The only thing I can see wrong with the Vanek trade is the timing. The chance of a trade deadline deal working out are stacked against any team. Earlier would have been better but would have cost more, a lot more. Mention the names of any of the “lot more” and HIO fans would throw themselves off cliffs.

I have a hunch the team knows what it is doing. They have been in a position of almost sure playoff participation since December so I am pretty confident they didn’t get distracted by a shiny bauble dangled by NY at the last minute.

This team is progressing nicely. Management, coaching, and the players are doing much better than the majority of teams. You all should be proud of them.

• JUST ME says:

There is nothing to prove that giving away a second round choice is a bad move. After the 3 first players of the first round it`s like tossing a coin…

Here is a demonstration of how things change and how you cannot judge a kid with what he has achieved in the past. This season in the Q it`s the first time that 3 players scored more than 50 goals since 2006.

2006-2007 : Thomas Beauregard (71/Acadie-Bathurst), Danick Bouchard (54/Shawinigan), Cam Fergus (53/Cap-Breton), Brent Aubin (51/Québec) et David Laliberté (50/Île-du-Prince-Édouard)

Where the f…are they ? You`d figure that they were promised for a bright future no ? Should i stop breathing just in case a second round choice turns out to be a star or should i gamble once in a while and try to boost our chances for the present ?

If waiting for the 2nd round draft choice is your option then you have no reason to come here and complain about anything anymore.
      I say go for it take a minimal risk while at the same time keeping on with the plan. Exactly what Bergevin did.

16. lakechamplain says:

Anyone know if Price is playing tonight? Probably not, as it’ll mean at least 4 more days to heal and get tuned up. But as another week goes by without the best goalie in the NHL is anyone else wondering exactly when he got injured? Yeah, the official report noted that he was injured at that morning practice in Brossard but left unanswered was it a new injury or did it aggravate one he had incurred in Sochi?
    IF he had been injured before or during the semifinal or final should he have been held out of that/those games? I’d wager that Price wanted to play for his country, injury or not; tough athletes in this situation almost always do. BUT, if the injury happened and was known about, was it Babcock/Yzermans’ responsibility to play Luongo instead, out of deference to the team that’s paying him several million dollars to help them win?
    I’m excited about the good things that Vanek brings to the Habs as well as most of you but frankly, if Price isn’t back soon, they’re toast in the playoffs(no putdown of Budaj but Price is our MVP). I hope all this is conjecture, but it still comes back to the question that many owners pondered, especially after Tavares went down, are the Olympics worth the risk of injury to obviously very important parts of NHL franchises. Would any of you change your minds about that issue if Price were out long term and pretty much killed our chances in the playoffs?

• L Elle says:

There is an interview with Price after his 1st skate on the Habs’ website.

He says he injured his whatever 3 weeks before the Olympics, and played through it. He also hinted at the playoffs, in saying he needs to be 100% for that. He also gave big props to Budaj, in saying he can take do the job, no problem. (don’t agree)

I believe, as soon as Vanek was acquired, it became clear that management/ownership want this team to go further than 1 round. Also, why they didn’t become sellers – trading Markov, for example.

Maybe it’s the same reason Prust and Bournival aren’t being rushed back?

But, if the team were playing themselves out of a playoff spot, I am sure Price would make a miraculous recovery. ;)

• lakechamplain says:

Pretty much agree but, actually it looks like Price didn’t ‘play through it’ but aggravated it, and during his stellar performance he didn’t appear to modify his play one bit. Fact is though the Canadiens need him to give them some chance, maybe now not so much at making the playoffs but in getting home ice. And if he can’t get heal this nagging injury–I read somewhere it’s a groin injury but haven’t heard any more to back that up–and can’t be at his top level in the playoffs, it’s good night Irene.
        Re Prust: I think the kind of game he plays he keeps re-injuring his shoulder almost to the point of being chronic. Bournival: concussions are so tricky it’s a good thing that the NHL(and NFL for that matter) have come out of the dark ages and gone into a better safe than sorry mode. Every concussed player is an individual case.

17. rhino514 says:

I don´t get how a situation like Vancouver could happen.
    Why couldn´t they just have kept Schneider? Why blow up the whole team? Wasn´t the story really the Sedin´s health this year….or do they really believe the twins are done?

I think it was UCe who wrote an extensive piece on the Nucks here yesterday, but there appears to be a very disjointed chain of command in Vancouver between Owner/GM/Coach.

• If you wanted Connor McDavid, how would you best do it?

Kesler will be traded at the draft, and boom, the stones are in place for the drive to the end.

That’s tanking in style folks. :lol:

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• Frozen Village says:

Ownership, & particularily in Vanny has been difficult

More Swedes for the Lions in Winter

• 24 Cups says:

For me, the question is why didn’t the Canucks either trade (for whatever return it might be) Luongo last summer or use an amnesty buyout on him?

In 2021, Vancouver will take a 4.5M cap hit on Luongo. In 2022, it will be 8M.

• Maritime Ronn says:

might have been a question of huge dollars
        With the trade, Van eats $800K per year for 8 years.
        Buyout, Amnesty or regular, would have cost about $20M spread out over 16 years…but it’s still $20M vs $6.4M

• Paz says:

Tortorella was not brought in to rebuild. He was brought in to try and win. I think that’s why they held on to Lungo.

They should have kept Vigneault any how.

He’s a much better coach than Tortorella, and for my money, I like him much more than Therrien as well.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Just like in Montreal when it rains it pours in Vancouver. There was such a media circus around the two goaltenders that one of them had to go. It was Schneider at the time because it looked like trading Luongo was impossible.

Kesler became unhappy for whatever reason this year and decided he wanted out, maybe he didn’t like Torts? Then Luongo became aggravated again and the media was allover it.

Just over a month ago the Habs scuffled a bit but were still sitting in a playoff spot and half the city and this site wanted Therrien fired and perhaps the team blown up. Vancouver isn’t much different it appears.

• Paz says:

Tortorella calls out individual players to the media. No player likes that.

You have a problem with a player, keep it on the room, for shots sake.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I watched Detroit vs New Jersey last night. So much for stifling defense and solid goaltending. Detroit, without Datsyuk and Zetterberg, blew seven goals past Schneider. He didn’t look that good.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

18. piper says:

I liked the Vanek deal but I would still rather Bergevin had unloaded the upcoming UFAs and built for the near future. I was worried that he wasnt going to do anything at the deadline other than the 2 minor deals. At least now with a second bonified scorer in the lineup it give us a little hope and something to cheer for in the playoffs.
    Perhaps Markov wasn’t as valuable at the deadline as we thought and Gionta only worth a 3rd or 4th.

19. Mark C says:

So let me get this straight. In net Snow trades Matt Moulson, a 1st (top 5 as of today), 2nd, and 5th for 47 games of Thomas Vanek, a B-level prospect (Collberg), and a 2nd…and Bergevin is the one who good fleeced?

Ford’s demand void had to be filled somehow while he was away.

20. rhino514 says:

if you look at Vanek´s stats, he isn´t on track for even 30 goals this year. with the exception of last year´s shortened season, he hasn´t been the 40 goal scoring threat that he was in his mid-twenties…more like a 30 goal scoring threat.
    He´s also 30, and the habs are not ones to sign players, generally, to long term contracts, much less so when they have hit the big 3-0.
    So now that the waters have calmed, I´d say, no, he isn´t worth the 7.5 million a year for 7 years that he will probably be offered.
    But I think with the habs, character is important; I don´t know enough about him, but if he´s a character guy the habs will make a decent offer.
    The one thing I like about him, he seems to perform well in the playoffs.
    Bergevin has gambled, but he´s gambled for the playoffs, which is admirable. If Vanek and Briere do well in the playoffs, the habs can win two rounds, at least.
    I actually think the Vanek move was more money related. I don´t like giving up the second rounder and Collberg, but every playoff game won generates an awful lot of moola, and I think you could say without being too risqué that Vanek gets them one round further.
    What i would like to know, if anybody has lists, is what UFA forwarda are available this summer. That´s where the team will have to make the right call…they will have to do better than Briere 2.0
    The only concrete weakness on the team is on RW, and with Gionta´s production slowing, they now need to fill 2 spots, not one. It won´t be easy.

21. The Juice says:

@CJ there is no way the Habs would have traded Collberg if they still thought he had top 6 potential

• RJ says:

You’re kidding right? Someone in this organization once said Ryan Mcdonagh would never play in the NHL.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

• CJ says:

Yes and no. You need to give up something of value to get back something of value. I’m not writing Collberg off, however we have five other players of similar size and skill (Hudon, Thomas, Andrighetto, Reway and Lethkoen).

The future will judge this trade. Difficult to pass judgement today when we don’t yet know what the conditional pick might amount to, nor do we know what will come of Collberg. He will have a great chance with the Isles to play on the top six. He would have had very little chance to crack the Canadiens top six.

To your question, I agree, the Canadiens brass were willing to part with him. I consider them strong talent evaluators, so I don’t think they figure he could be a top six player in Montreal. At least not within the next 2-3 years.

• ffenliv says:

I’m with RJ here. I’m not saying I know the future and that Collberg will be top 6, but I think claiming the Habs never would have if they thought so is a bit like writing your own version of events to make the team look better.

All trades are risks. Picks could turn out to be used on great players. Prospects could become amazing, or they could be busts.

Maybe the Habs could have gotten Vanek for just a 6th round pick, but that’w here Datsyuk was drafted years ago. You just never know.

The Paralympics in Sochi have just begun I think, I really hope that the events in Ukraine will not affect the safety of those athletes in Sochi for the games.

23. habstrinifan says:

@ John Bellyful:

Allow me, Sir, to post this here in tribute and thanks to your post (on Eller). I hope that separation gives me prominence and draws the attention of all who come here today.

Do yourself a favour: Read John Bellyful’s post as if you were attending a premier performance with elevated excitement and intellectual awakening, It is thus worthy.

John Bellyful took me back to the class of one of my teaching heroes. You, John, would have loved this giant of literature. And he would have loved your post. Who knows he may have even given you his ultimate praise. I humbly repeat his words to you John.

“Some men quote from Shakespeare; Some men paraphrase for Shakespeare; Some men engrave with Shakespeare.

You sir, engraved with Shakespeare. Excellent.

• JohnBellyful says:

Thanks for the kind words, Trini.
      (Now you got me thinking about having a shakespeare tattooed on a bicep. Or growing a Bard.)

• L Elle says:

Maybe a go tee too. :)

By the way, genius post!!!

• habstrinifan says:

Hey L Elle how are you? Haven’t seen one of your posts in a while. What is your avatar? Roses? A dessert? Huge stone on your ring?

• L Elle says:

Hi Trini. I am well, just a ton of life stuff sometimes getting in the way of HIO fun.

Ha, nice interpretations of the inkblot.

Hint: See that white spot in there somewhere? It’s a goalies blocker. :)

• Lafleurguy says:

To beard, or not to beard? Is that the question?

Transplants a plenty in New York these days according to reports.

• Lafleurguy says:

Saw my friend’s son-in-law sporting a Toews Blackhawks jersey last night. Mornin’ good sir.

Morning my friend, just found out last night I am heading to Hawks / Sabres game on Sunday. We have a special guest with us who use to play with the Hawks so we are hoping to get to meet some of the players after the game. Will have to wear my Toews Canada jersey and see if I can get him to autograph it.

• Lafleurguy says:

Lucky you! Enjoy!

• habstrinifan says:

Great game to attend now HabinBurlington. Chicago is always fun and Nolan is doing good stuff with Sabres. Do you think he will be gone at season’s end of his own accord?

Sure seems like Nolan is not the new GM’s guy. I hope Nolan is given a fair shot at becoming the permanent Head Coach, but Buffalo has a similar circus to Vancouver at the moment.

24. scamorza says:

BTW, nice to see that “our top scorer” is no longer a defenceman. Of course more credence when he actually scores his first point. And on the trade think it was still a good move – we can’t know how colberg will turn out but no first rounder which was the consensus to get vanek and our cupboard is far from bare

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• habstrinifan says:

And we are beginning to go AWAY from being a team where there is only one real top echelon player… the goalie. The team is beginning to almost look stacked LOL. On paper anyways.

I’m sure once the summer arrives, some NHL GMs will start picking over the Vancouver corpse. Should Montreal be one of those teams?

Regardless of what happens this spring, Montreal is still going to need an additional RD and a top six winger. Here are the candidates from Vancouver.

Kevin Bieska – 32/RD/2yrs @ 4.6M a season
    Chris Tanev – 23/RD/1yr @ 1.5M/RFA
    Alex Burrows- 33/RW/ 3yrs @ 4.5M
    Jannik Hansen – 28/RW/4yrs @ 2.5M

From Vancouver’s perspective, Tanev is young enough to be part of any rebuild. As well, Hansen has a very sweet contract that the Canucks will not want to lose. That basically leaves Bieska and Burrows. Both guys have decent size and aren’t afraid to get their noses dirty. Burrows could replace Gionta and Bieska could slip in behind Subban on the right side of the second pairing.

For what it’s worth.

Speaking of Stephen Stills and Judy Collins, Judy was on PBS last night performing from Ireland. Let me tell you, her voice is exactly the same as it was back in the 60s even though she is now 74. Any chance to see her live in concert would be quite the treat. I still have all her albums on vinyl.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi cups

I wonder how hard of a run they’ll take after the Florida UFA right Dman Tom Gilbert
      31 years old 6’2″-204
      Realizing Fla. isn’t a very good team, yet he plays Top 2 minutes including PP and PK time
      Cap Hit $900K this year

• 24 Cups says:

I would have taken Gilbert over Murray but that’s ancient history.

Gilbert isn’t going to sign for one year so that’s a consideration. The good news is that the team wouldn’t have to give up any assets to get him. Before this contract, his last six years have averaged out to be 4M a season. If Florida was smart they would keep him. Seeing that they didn’t trade him at the deadline, they just might want to do that. If not, the Habs should consider a two year deal at decent coin.

26. Didn’t MT quote at the beginning of this season that Galchenyuk will move at Centre? If so, When will this happen? Is Galchenyuk ready to be Habs 1st line Centre? One has to think it will not happen anytime soon? Can anybody on this site share if this was said?

27. CJ says:

Good morning folks!

Game day. Looking forward to seeing the boys in action tonight. Looking at the eastern conference standings, with games in hand, things are pretty tight. A point or two tonight is not critical, but it would certainly help. Historically we have played well in San Jose, so I’m hoping for a good game.

My thoughts and prayers remain with Tim Bozon and his family. I don’t know if it’s because I have two little boys, or perhaps because I watched him play twice recently, but this whole situation has left me feeling torn up inside. I pray that somehow this turns positively and I refuse to give up sharing hope.

Don’t be afraid to share a special moment with friends and family. Life is precious. I wish you all the very best. Kindly, CJ

• scamorza says:

Looking for them to rebound think it will really depend on the goaltending. Any change in Tim Bozon’s condition? Still critical. It is amazing how things in life can change so quickly. Can only hope and pray for the best?

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• CJ says:

Bozon remains in critical condition. He is in a medically induced coma to slow the progress of the meningitis.

I agree, goaltending will be key. I’m not pinning the Phoenix loss on Budaj, but he needs to be better. He has looked leaky at times since play resumed following the Olympic break. He has made some brilliant saves, but has also surrendered a number of softies. Against elite teams like San Jose, you can’t give up freebies.

• scamorza says:

Thanks for the update as you said have to keep up with the positive thoughts

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

I wonder if we will start seeing more KHL players choosing to play in the NHL in the near future? I don’t think it is a stretch to think that their was some intrinsic pressure on Russian born players to play in the KHL during the leadup to the Sochi Olympic games. In fact nearly 1/2 of the Russian team was made up of KHL players.

With the news of Kuznetzov terminating his KHL contract and coming to the NHL, I wonder if perhaps a trend may begin. Players may not feel the pressure from the “country” to stay in the KHL and I don’t think it is unfair to say that the ancillary trappings of the NHL are more desireable than that of the KHL (Hotels, flights, city living conditions etc…).

29. Storm Man says:

I’m lol @ those who think we gave up to much for Vanek

30. wjc says:

The fans on here are happy and that scares me.

Pollock said “the fastest way to fail is to listen to the fans”.

The quick fix will not work, he should have stayed the course, just proves how hard it is to win in the NHL.

Slow and steady was the way to go, now all bets are off.

Collberg will play in Broklyn and who knows who the second rounder will be. This is not good. Mcdonagh scored his 11th goal last night….eleven.

• JUST ME says:

If i understand correctly you prefered it here when it was negative and pessimistic ?
      ALL BETS ARE OFF ? Come on ! You mean thee whole futur of the organization was in the hands of Colberg ?
      No reason to consider the trade other than a very good move because Colberg was and is a player like we already have many of and does not develop as predicted according to the so called experts. Since he has been playing in the elite league in Sweden he has been struggling so…Of course it is easy to say and easier to say anything to justify the trade ! Haven`t seen much of Colberg myself but so remember reading about his progression being slow to say the least.

It`s funny cause people want to win now ,not tomorrow, not next year and when they do make a move they still complain. Bergevin went for it, minimal risk did not move away from his plan and gambled to make the team better now. What is wrong with that ?

• wjc says:

You make some good points, however on July 1st he will be gone and so will Collberg and a second rounder. That is not boding well for the future, unless you think a couple of rounds are worth it.

He is 20 years old and too early to be called a bust, but only time will tell. Players do not always travel upward in a straight line, they can be injured or slowed down for any number of reasons.

Either way Canadiens over paid in my opinion a third rounder would have been enough. Islanders turned nothing into something.

Anything short of the finals will be considered a loss, watch and see, expecially if Collberg becomes what a lot of people think he will be.

Time will tell. Make the team better now, I agree as long as it is more then a couple of months.

• JUST ME says:

People have a difficult time to figure out who is a sure thing past the first 3 choices in the first round and a 2nd round choice is a difference maker in the future of an entire organization ? How high are the odds of that happening ? Come on ! You are showing bad fate and probably are the first one to say that nothing worth while has been done or tried in the last decades.
          A little timely gamble like Bergevin did is more than we expected and it is positive to see that he gave little and kept on his plan ehile going for it and be stronger in this season`s race.

Who is saying what by the way these days about Colberg ? Haven`t seen much promissing news and him succeeding in the future is as far fetched as saying that all bets are off…

• Maritime Ronn says:

….and Reggie Houle/Ron Corey traded Patrick Roy, and Glen Sather traded Wayne Gretzky.
      Ancient history of regimes now long gone….

Colberg is far far away from being an NHL player, and he will not ever come close to being an impact player.
      Do you work for Charles Wang?
      :-)

• wjc says:

Charles or Charlie as I call him, left instructions to Snow to get some assets back for Vanek, because he was not going to sign in New York. God knows they tried, but, he said I want to go to Minnesota after I check the bidding war out.

So Snow tried for a few days and at the last minute took the best offer he could find…a prospect and a second rounder.

Snow and Charley were relieved, because you never know when the next Forsberg is coming along, and a second rounder, well I’ll be wanged.

Turning nothing into something makes Snow a clever G.M.

• ffenliv says:

Snow? Clever?

At the end of year, he traded Matt Moulson and a 1st round pick for Collberg and a second. Snow, or his lunatic owner, is nuts.

• wjc says:

He made chicken soup out of a dead crow. Charley is a very wealthy man because he is very smart, he owns a NHL team, and I don’t.

That makes him smart and me not so smart, because I am not a billionaire with a fun toy to play with.

Garth Snow might have made some mistakes but he did not make one on Wednesday. The mistake was made by Bergevin.

Don’t believe me then wait until the ‘spin doctors’ evaluate this deal in years to come, it will blow your mind.

After the excitement of an extra round has worn off and reality stares them in the face.

• Maritime Ronn says:

He also gave the Habs a 5th rounder – the price paid for Weaver

• boing007 says:

The Wild will have to do some shuffling of the deck if they want to sign Vanek. Maybe the Habs will get some good returns. I’d settle for Moulson + if the Habs lose Vanek.

Richard R

31. Maritime Ronn says:

wjc says:
    Bergevin blinked and Snow fleeced him.
    Too expensive for a rental. Colberg will haunt the habs for a long time, just like Mcdonagh.
    ——————-
    Actually, the exact opposite.

Colberg is now 20 years old and has regressed.
    He has not found himself in a league which is at best AHL, and more likely less in overall talent…and we won’t even touch the issue of physicality.

Colberg is not a big man (178), yet lacks strength and explosiveness compared to less big players such as Gallagher.
    A player doesn’t have to be big to be strong…and Colberg is not strong.

While it appears that Gallagher and 51 will be around for a while, there is only so much room in the Top 9 for players of smaller stature – especially when the playoffs roll around.

Smaller guys like Andrighetto-Hudon-Reway-Thomas are all now ahead of Colberg on the depth chart.
    Habs management made a choice that there was no room for Colberg moving ahead.
    I’ll trust Bergevin, Dudley, and Carriere with that decision…..

There were also more recent concerns and questions about attitude and character as Colberg decided to play in the physically softer, big ice surface of the SHL, vs. getting acclimatized on NHL size rinks with future NHL prospects.
    He has been a complete bust there this year.

SHL: 55 games
    AHL: 76 games with tough travel and grueling playoffs.

Habs also dumped a precious “50” contract.
    There are a bunch of guys that will need to be signed to an ELC, and holding on to 1 that will not make it – will never be an inpact player, is the right business decision.

• wjc says:

Good arguments, time will tell if you are right.

All of a sudden Collberg is weak with no future.

Just think Jeremy Roenick he was barely 150 pounds and around 5’9 if you exagerate and we know how he turned out.

Collberg may well be a bust, but my money says no. The second rounder could be the sleeper in the deal.

All I know is nothing will be gained unless Montreal goes to the finals, because winning a couple of rounds will not help.

Vanek will be gone and the rest will have to evalutated at a later date. Snow won this deal hands down, because he turned nothing into something.

32. wjc says:

Bergevin blinked and Snow fleeced him.

33. JohnBellyful says:

Eller promises to be ‘a little more than kin, a little less than kind’

Bill Shakespeare
    Montreal – The smile’s still there but it’s lost weight.
    It’s thinner now, and the glow it casts is woebegone wan.
    Lars Eller is one melancholy Dane.
    With good reason. After a terrific start to the season, the 24-year-old Montreal Canadien has struggled for the past three months and has taken up occasional residence in coach Michel Therrien’s doghouse, where he was left to scratch in good health during a recent game against the Anaheim Ducks.
    He’s also been the target of abuse by passionate fans who once saw great potential in the young centre but have become disenchanted by a string of poor performances.
    There are times when Eller wants to lash out at his critics who have turned the Bell Centre into a pond of despond, but again he’s paralyzed by the indecision that has characterized his play of late.
    “Is it nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fans or should I take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing, end them?” he asks, his voice trailing off as he realizes the futility of assaulting each and every one of his detractors, not to mention the legal problems that would likely ensue.
    In a rare moment of candour, Eller admits there are times he wishes “his too,too solid flesh” – he tips the scales at 215 pounds – “would melt, thaw and resolve itself into a dew” that he might escape a world that’s grown “weary, stale, flat and unprofitable.”
    That’s a bit rich, the last part. He’s making $1.5 million this year and is likely due a raise when his contract expires this summer, despite uninspired play. He and his supporters are hoping his off season – he has 10 goals in 64 games and is -10 – is a one-off and not the curtain-opener on a career in decline.
    Eller is reticent at first to talk about his relationship with Therrien but it doesn’t take much prodding to get him to open up and question the leadership of the second-year coach, asking why “the Exasperating had not fixed his canon ‘gainst better linemates.”
    (“O God! O God! Odin!” he mutters under his breath, and then bursts out: “Fie on’t! Fie! Fie! Effing fie!”)
    Just as quickly, Eller falls silent and hangs his head, the wrinkles on his brow betraying a mental disquiet brought on by uneasy reflection: Maybe he’s just not that good.
    That would explain the errant passes, the foolish penalties, the pucks that are mishandled.
    There is “something rotten in the state of (his) game,” he admits at last, repeating what others have said, and despair clouds his eyes. The player he is now is not the one he had wanted to be, and had raised hopes in others that he might become: Jean Beliveau.
    “What a piece of work is he!” Eller says in awe. “How noble in reason! How infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel! In apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world! The paragon of centres!”
    Eller sighs, resumes taping his stick, and thinks some more.
    He pauses, looks up and says, in earnest, it’s time he took to heart the advice offered by a coach long ago: “to thine own self be true.”
    For Eller, that translates into following his instincts and not over-thinking what’s happening on the ice, which “makes cowards of us all.”
    So look for a new, assertive Eller tonight when the Canadiens end their four-game road trip in San Jose. He’ll be the one firing tape-to-tape passes – “the play’s the thing” – and knocking opponents on their butts, making their “little fears grow great.”
    He might even splash some Shark repellent on his jersey.
    “There is method in my madness,” he says with a wink.

— “A little song, a little dance, A little Shakespeare to entrance.” –

34. ZURF says:

OK heres how MT needs 2 make the lines:

galchenyuk/eller/vanek
    maxpac/DD/Gallagher
    briere/plex/gio
    moen/white/weise

….3 line with pretty decent scoring ability and 4th line grinders …also the plex line can play the shutdown role.

ITS PERFECT!

“If ya ain’t wasted, the day is!”

35. Habfan10912 says:

Morning folks. I’m not entirely sold on Therrien’s tired theory. To me it looked like couple easy goals surrendered, a few defensive breakdowns, and a lack of scoring 5 on 5. Do you know what can fix this tired team? Carey Gold Medal Price!

36. wjc says:

Bergevin blinked!

On July 1st Islanders Colberg, 2nd rounder, Montreal zero, zilch, nauta.

Bergevin just hopped on the Gainey express out of town.

Reason it took until 3 oclock to make trade, it was the best offer he got for a rental.

How good will Colberg be, you will find out very soon.

Just like McDonagh, he will haunt your dreams. The second is just to rub salt in the wounds.

37. gmur says:

Weary Habs?

What about weary Hab fans who stay up all hours watching? I feel like I’m suffering from jet lag without leaving home…

38. rhino514 says:

Only thing that concerns me about Vanek on the team is it takes MT about a full season to find line chemistry.
    Forget Pelks, the first experiment, and it should last a few games, should be with Eller.
    The kid will rebound, I don´t know when, but he will.
    Sad to hear that the habs were considering offers for him.

39. Sportfan says:

Lol according to Dav Stubbs twitter account that Dr OZ said something about fat burning. Point is he may want to change his password.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

40. TDotHabfan says:

Anyone remember how good the DD – MaxPac – Cole line was a few years ago? DD was solid gold between two big bodies who could skate and shoot. How much better would that line be now with Vanek instead of Cole?

41. habs_54321 says:

boy is this board ever dead all of a sudden! couple days ago we all were doin jumping jacks.

Bobby Lou with a shutout, almost fitting. Good story.

Alright… what did I miss? Did Therrien get canned yet?

44. Mattyleg says:

Hmm, get the feeling that Dave Stubbs’s Twitter account just got hacked.

This has been posted 10 times in the last 7 minutes:

“Dr Oz suggests using http://tinyurl.com/l7hqk6r for burning off fat & losing weight..”

Change that password, Dave.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habilis says:

Yeah I almost clicked on the link by reflex when I first saw the tweet, I’m so used to just looking at what Stubbs posts. Whoever hacked him is pretty persistent. The link is different every time too, I’d be careful about clicking on any of em.

• CranbrookEd says:

Definitely hacked . . . or in Twitter lingo, “compromised” . . . if you are on there, mark as being compromised so that the Twitter folks can take control . . . and as for the links, I generally stay away from any shortened URL as you will never know for sure where it is going until you get there . . . it’s a jungle out there! :)

CranbrookEd
      Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”! . . .

• Sportfan says:

It’s kinda funny but really crappy at the same time especially the spam its generating, its happening a lot hopefully it’ll be fixed

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

45. Habilis says:

Dunno if any mods or whoever is looking at this can contact Stubbs, but his twitter has been hacked. He’s been tweeting some kind of Dr. Oz link over and over.

Or have the HIO hamsters infiltrated Twitter as well?

46. Habitant in Surrey says:

A falling Canadian dollar is expected to have a significant impact on the NHL’s salary cap for next season, Kings general manager Dean Lombardi has been told.

“We found out, to our chagrin and surprise the other day, we had been told the cap was going to be $71 [million] and now with the Canadian dollar having tanked, that the cap could be as low as $68 [million]. That’s a huge swing,” Lombardi said, per the Los Angeles Times.

47. Habitant in Surrey says:

…see above

48. habs-hampton says:

Just watched a story on sportsnet on Steve Moore. Hard to believe its been 10 years. It still disgusts me everytime I see Todd bertuzzi playing hockey in the NHL. Hopefully someday all his profits will be shared with Moore (and the lawyers of course).

• mr_jmac says:

Is Todd Bertuzzi the only player that disgusts you? There are countless player over the years that repeatedly did things on the ice with the intention of hurting their opponents.
      People are being so results orientated when they talk about Bertuzzi.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

+10000

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• habs-hampton says:

No , he’s not the only one, but he took it upon himself to become the posterchild. I include Chara in that group as well. There are a lot of guys who have gone out to “repay” a guy for a bad hit, but most want to hurt the guy, not maim or injure him… there is a difference. Steve Moore fought Matt Cooke earlier in the game, and that should have settled it. Bertuzzi decided that it was never going to be settled until Moore was injured.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Pro her on Holmstrom was worse.. pronged on McAmmond was wayyyy worse

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Grrrrr Pronger!!!!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

Bertuzzi alone didn’t decide in my opinion, I think Crawford and Burke fuelled that thought process also.

I wonder why Burke has been much quieter on the truculent front since taking over in Calgary.

• Smiths Falls Habs Fan says:

So are you saying that Bertuzzi wanted to injure Moore and not just teach him a lesson? What was the score in that game anyway? If the Avalanche coaching staff were aware of the threats, then why did they play him? To say Bertuzzi wanted to break his neck is absolutely ridiculous. Don’t get me wrong; I’m not defending Bertuzzi’s actions, I’m just saying the outcome is definitely worse than Bertuzzi intended.

Some people have no idea what they’re talking about. I’m probably one of those people…

• Phil C says:

Bertuzzi was ignorant about the dangers of a sucker punch. He may not have intended to break his neck, but it’s like killing someone while driving drunk, when you do something stupid and bad things happen, you should be held accountable.

49. Habitant in Surrey says:

@Ian Cobb

…Ian thank you for the beautiful HNIC film link

…one thing I don’t know if You noticed like it did for Me, was Bobby Orr telling of the 2 defensemen he admired as a 15 year old

…Tim Horton, which is not surprising, and second Terry Harper

…Terry I knew well personally, and was one of My favourite Habs of the day …but, I am sure if Terry knows he was once a hero of Bobby Orr he (Terry) would be very honored, complimented …and, most of all, very surprised :)

• scamorza says:

Absolutely right a good dman but not necessarily a star- would be cool to know that he was admired by Orr

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• D Mex says:

I recall hearing once that Terry Harper (# 19) actually started his career as a Forward but, after an accident that resulted in burns (?) he became a D-Man.
        I watched him, JC Tremblay, JG Talbot and their contemporaries live at the old Forum, so the video link really strikes a chord ~ magical …

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

50. chanchilla says:

any update on tim bozon?

51. GL says:

Legwand 2-assist tonight for DETROIT Ken Holland always seem to make the right move when picking up players.

52. GL says:

You may laugh at me but DD is the best center we have right now maybe it’s because he has the best wingers … I think VANEK would even make him better!!

53. ProHabs says:

Ryan McDonagh is a damn good hockey player.

54. Phil C says:

To me it seemed like Vanek and Plekanec had little to no chemistry which concerns me because that’s where he slots into the lineup. Vanek and Gionta hooked up a few times so there is potential there. Hoepfully they figure out something in practice. This is the risk with rentals, you only have 20 games to figure it out.

• GL says:

Phil – This is what I would experiment with Vanek in Practice!!

Vanek Desharnais Gallagher
      Vanek Plekanec Galchenyuk

Personally I think DD & Gallagher would make Vanek tick and Pacioretty would look good with Pleks & Galchenyuk nothing to lose in practice.

• doug19 says:

It is early and yet I agree. Pleks has played with so many average wingers that he is better solo now. DD is the best setup man of the forwards. Eller has been changed to a checker and seems to have lost his scoring. I would put Vanek with White at center and Subban at right wing. Go for it quit
      mickey mousing the lines already!

• scamorza says:

As you said- early yet think this will work out well Plecky deserves to have a sniper IMHO

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Phil C says:

It’s definitely worth a few more games. Maybe Pleks figures it out that he has to get him the puck. But if its not working, I hope they don’t have too much patience because they have to figure it out quickly.

55. Lil Snapper says:

Anyone know the probability of Price playing against the Sharks? Taking my 7 year old for his 3rd Habs game. We are hoping to watch Price.

56. habstrinifan says:

CNN REPORTING,
    ” A passenger flight carrying 239 people en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing is missing, Malaysia Airlines said Saturday.
    The airline said in a statement that Subang Air Traffic Control in Malaysia lost contact with Flight MH370 at 2:40 a.m. (1:40 p.m. ET Friday).”

Scary! Imagine having a loved one on that flight. Your world STOPS until you know.

57. habstrinifan says:

I disagree that Eller’s supposed lack of intuitive offensive IQ is irreparable.

If one folows the sport of Soccer, one will know that the fallacy that you cannot teach flair and ‘skills’ has been disproved.

Soccer benefited from things like the Coerver methods. And one can take an ‘talented’ player like Eller and teach him ‘shooting lanes’ and ‘shot selection’ and ‘breathing’ and ‘hand-eye’ muscle training and definitely ‘playmaking’ to fully use his ‘talent’.

Claude Ruel did that in his drills. After you left the ice from a Claude Ruel ‘scrimmage’ you knew how to make decisions at high speed.

• GGtheHab says:

you really don’t get the “Hockey” part of hockey inside out do you? soccer references and news flashes…with all due respect to those aboard that flight, and the turmoil in the Ukraine some of us come here to escape the sad news of reality and discuss our team..

• punkster says:

Whoa…corn flakes floating in a bodily waste byproduct tonight?

Release the Subbang!!!

• scamorza says:

With all due respect I disagree soccer reference is valid enough and references to what is happening in the world or good tv programs etc are appreciated by me and I would suspect others if you are not interested that is cool you don’t need to read the post and thanks punkster for the levity

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• DipsyDoodler says:

Excuse me. This isn’t hockey inside out inside out.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Clay says:

@ GGtheHab:
        Trini is a good guy, and the same goes for Timo – . and you need to get over yourself. What makes you so special that you can judge others for having an opinion?

__________________________
        ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

• Wintercount says:

I witnessed a few of those Ruel’s scrimmages, he sure got the hustle out of his kids. Arguably the best teaching coach ever.
      Nice to see his name in print, Trini.

58. Habilis says:

Remember earlier in the season when a bunch of us were wondering why MB was pinching every penny he could, delaying call-ups and sending players down right after games?

From CapGeek:

Current Cap: $64,300,000
    Habs Payroll: $64,187,413

MB be smart.

59. UKRAINIANhab says:

Vanek – Plekanec – Galchenyuk.

Keep Vanek with Plek. Just add Chucky in Gionta’s spot and watch sparks fly!!

60. D Mex says:

@ Psycho and Dunboyne : Thanks one he!! of a lot !

I ended up in the local slammer last night – charge ? BUTTON THEFT. Threw me in a holding cell and, next thing, another guy shows up to spend the night. Little fella wearing underwear on his head and non-stop bitching …

Place was filthy : head honcho named ‘ Theodore ‘, and he was taking calls from a cousin ” Alvy ” (?) So, I’m telling ‘ Theodore ” it’s all a mistake – a joke FFS, and he just keeps stuffin’ peanuts into his cheeks and throwin’ the shells all over the floor.
    Meanwhile, ” Alvy ” is screamin’ into Theo’s ear, and the guy in the cell is non-stop bitchin’ about his ‘ favourite ‘ hockey team. Friggin’ moar-on …

Bail not easy, but I finally contacted a friend who’s a seamstress. She has a serious peanut allergy but came over anyhow and managed to convince the rodent I would NEVER steal anyone’s ‘ BUTTON ‘. It worked, but good thing ” Alvy ” was calling long-distance on a low battery that finally gave out, so he finally STFU.

Moral of the story : don’t mess with another guy’s ‘ reply button ‘ on HI/O. Scared the livin’ sh!te out of me … Oh – BTW, here’s a photo of the bitchy guy who showed up in the cell – reminded me of someone, but still can’t put my finger on it.
    Anyone know the guy ?

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

• Psycho29 says:

Haha great story but…
      That serves you right, you’re a troublemaker!! It’s probably your fault that Ian’s link below didn’t light up!
      That guy with the underwear does look familiar. maybe Scorchland or Crotchland or whatever…

61. GL says:

If Mt is gonna experiment with VANEK I think their should only be TWO.

Vanek Pleks Gionta
    Vanek Pleks Galchenyuk

Which ever is the best so be it!!

• stevieray says:

I like your second choice..but that would mean putting Gionta on the 3rd line ,,,and that ain’t gonna happen …although I would have no problem . As I said earlier Gionta shots to much for Vanek to be effective…

• stevieray says:

Gionta …although being played as a top 6 forward…ranks well outta the top 6 when you compare shots taken to goals scored . Even Prust has a better %.

62. lucabrasi says:

Hey Fellow Habbers. Long time reader, first time poster. How do I get an Avatar?

I’m a Dude, playin’ a Dude, disguised as another Dude!

OK HIO MEMBERS!
    We are coming up to play off hockey! Watch this clip about HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA. Your hair on the back of your neck will stand!!
    ENJOY!

• Ian Cobb says:

Do not know how to make this link light up ??
      Anyone!?

• Hobie Hansen says:

It might be because you have the https:// in CAPS Ian?

Good video. I loved Hockey Night In Canada up until about 7-10 years ago. Guys like PJ Stock, Craig Simpson and Jim Hughson ruined it for me.

I loved guys like Dick Irvin, Bob Cole and Harry Neale. I know Cole is still there and I still like him even if he makes mistakes, I have respect for my elders. I’m still a fan of Don Cherry. I liked a younger, dorky, Ron McLean better than the cranky middle aged version we have now.

Hockey Night in Canada used to be magical but not so much anymore. I’m looking forward to it being phased out.

• johnnylarue says:

I actually find Hughson’s play-by-play/colour-commentary hybrid style palatable enough… Unfortunately he really does seem to have a tangible bias against the Habs, and that’s a non-starter for me.

I couldn’t help but notice even in last night’s game how Pierre Houde seems equally excited when he says “…et le but!” regardless of which team scored. That’s called being a professional.

• scamorza says:

nice thanks for sharing as much as I hate the leafs have a lot of respect for Bower really nice guy have met him at golf tournaments and he respected me even if I told him I hated the leafs and that save with his face is still one of the all time saves. And so nice to see le gros bill the epitome of not only a great hockey player but a great Canadian if ever we meet up over a cold one I can tell you a personal story of the great Beliveau that and when I spent 30 minutes at a bar in Vancouver with Theodore discussing goaltending – surreal I tell I am a rent-a- goalie and he’s discussing techniques as if I am actually part of the goaltending fraternity

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• bandaide says:

Most Hockey players and Artists sports figures are generally nice human beings, I used to mix bands at the Dome back in the day lol have a pic with Rhianna Cameo and a few Rappers who u know what were all really cool people my most sweaty palm moment was about 4 years ago putting a lavalier mic on Mr. Jean Belliveau seriously he is the kindest person I have ever met Humble and Regal at the same time lol my hands were shaking lol and he’s like ur a Canadiens fan ? I like almost died yessir Mr Belliveau lol He’s like dont worry it’ll sound great 44 yrs old felt like i was 5 lol But it worked like a charm had to cut all the low frequencies off his voice he sounded too much like GOD :P So scamorza yup we are all just people on this earth glad to see you had nice encounters with some ofr the best :)

• scamorza says:

Sheldon thanks for this just posted and well not sure were it went but forgive me if duplicated. Share the exact same sentiment a super nice guy- over 20 years ago soon after my sis passed away from cancer I was on a flight from LA to. MTL and who is on board But JB. So now I am no longer a 30 year old man but a kid again I am gushing over Jean Beliveau. His reaction was not like who is this psycho but gracious in receiving accolades from a fan. I never forgot that encounter and treasured that moment. Fast forward a few years and I am working at a big cancer centre in Toronto and read about JB’ cancer diagnosis. So I write to him tell him how about the encounter on the plane how he picked my spirits up and that I wished him only the best for a speedy recovery. I was hoping to convey how he made a fan feel special when times were tough and wanted him to know that his fans were thinking of him. Think nothing more of it and then few weeks later I get a hand written note explaining how his treatments were going how he appreciated my note and a signed hockey card on top of it. Needless to say I was floored . So yes we are all human beings but this man is special all time greatest hab captain in my opinion, 500+ goal scoring friggin how many cups? And the unique ability to make any common folk feel special and that is why he is my all time fav hab

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks Ian! Can’t beat HNIC for these evocative pieces.

64. GGtheHab says:

I dont expect to see Vanek beyond this year, but didnt expect to see Collberg or whoever that pick may have been either..so lets enjoy what he has to offer..we are a much better team than we were Tuesday..and still have Prust and Bournival to add, I would not trade those two for Bolland and the leafs have him pegged as their saviour..

65. GGtheHab says:

Eller: big, skilled..no doubt..but here are a few mental mistakes to back up the low hockey IQ theory:
    rushes into a 1 on 4 and taking a high sticking penalty to cancel a delayed penalty..raced 15 fet ahead of the puck causing an offside..streaks in on the right side with a dman beat, and circles the net instead of using speed and size to cut to the front and create a chance or draw a penalty..frustrating player, but even with all those flaws is somehow still better than Borque..somebody said it best last night, the dumb and dumber line

• habstrinifan says:

I wouldnt use the word ‘dumb’. But I would rather Ellers ‘learning curve’ mistakes than Bourque’s penchant for ‘disinterest’.

• Wintercount says:

I see some of the tribe are willing to give 74 the benefit of the doubt regarding his awful knee injury. Can not the same be said when someone suffers a serious concussion. Consider the above along with the pressure of a kid playing in his contract year and a coach who thinks synchronicity is a town somewhere north of sochi and you just might come to a differing conclusion.
      Don’t think IQ has anything to do with his downslide…none at all.

66. habstrinifan says:

Therrien:
    “That’s what happens when players are tired, they make mental mistakes,” said Therrien. “And it’s not just the power play; our penalty-killing hasn’t been sharp.

“They scored two power-play goals tonight and it seens we’ve given up at least one power-play goal in our last four or five games.”

I’m ok with your explanation MT. But also think about getting a huge upgrade of your 5-on-5. In playoffs 5-on-5 determine how many PP opportunities you create and how threateningly you push back after a PK.
    ==================
    Budaj:
    “Peter Budaj allowed five goals on 23 shots. He gave credit to the Coyotes for having strong shots from the point and said he had to fight through screens in front.

“They came out strong and scored some goals and then we came on in the second,” said Budaj. “In the third they scored two goals that squeaked through me and I was disappointed. We have to be better and that includes me. Five goals isn’t going to do it.””

Careful there young Mr Budaj. Sounds a bit like you are calling out your D. Many say your D normally tightens up outta consideratiion for you…when you play. Now if they seem to be less so and therefore more confident in ‘your abilities’, you gotta show you can deal with that ‘pressure’ of elevated expectations.
    =========================

“The loss left the Canadiens with one win in three games on this western road trip that concludes Saturday in San Jose.”

… and one of those ‘silly wins’ to booth. Let’s kick some arse in SJ.

67. Habitant in Surrey says:

…what dollars and term would it take to tempt Vanek to re-sign ?

…what is He, 30 years old ? …has 23 goals, 53 or so total points so far this season ?

…if ‘home’ is Minnesota, would it take a minimum of 5 years at $ 8 million per year for Vanek to re-sign ?

…I mean, I know how long We have been yearning a stud scoring machine …but would Vanek be that level of stud We have been having wet dreams of ? …and be worth $ 8 million + per season ?

…like I’m really excited We have a Vanek and hope He will rock Our socks from here into a long playoff adventure

…but really, do Our expectations really believe a Tomas Vanek will justify $ 8 million and a longterm commitment ?

…Vanek ain’t chopped liver, but Guy Lafleur He also ain’t

• Hobie Hansen says:

I believe we’d have to sign him for 7 or 8 years to be in the running because that’s what Minnesota will do. Habs have the option for 8 years because he’s our property. Other teams can only sign him for 7.

I think Minnesota or another team will offer him $8 million a year for 7 years…

• habstrinifan says:

I share your excitement. I hope he resigns (though not for 8mill) but I also hope that in the ‘negotiations’ no one is making the ‘invalid’ Lafleur comparison.

In today’s watered-down hockey, Vanek is ELITE enough.

• johnnylarue says:

I agree–he might be ‘second tier elite’, but elite nonetheless.

He’d be tough to fit under the cap long-term, and likely grossly overpaid by the time he reaches the end of his contract (barring an outrageous rise in the salary cap, which is still a distinct possibility).

But you could argue that the money MB is saving on our other elite goal scorer would soften the blow somewhat when it comes to bankrolling Vanek’s subscription to the “Lamborghini of the Month” club.

Still, I’m not sure Bergevin’s recipe for success has room for monster-ish contracts to all of Price, Subban, Markov *and* Thomas Vanek. That’s the better part of $28 million going to just four players, with other young studs like Chucky and Gally due for raises in the next few years… Our GM has his work cut out for him.

• habstrinifan says:

Agreed. But he also has contracts like Gionta and some ‘farmhands’ attrition (dicey decisions I know) to help him work it all out and maybe keep a Subban; Markov;Vanek etc.

And dont forget… expanded cap room.

• boing007 says:

Let’s not jump the gun. He hasn’t even scored a goal or an assist with the club yet.

Richard R

• stevieray says:

I’m all for trying to re sign him . MB( not MT ) just has to decide who to play him with . They took the wrong player of the Pleks line to replace him …Gionta shots to much for Vanek to be effective ….Maybe Eller at center with Vanek on his wing ?…but that would be the third line and not the minutes a sniper needs…

68. Hobie Hansen says:

Just because you’ve got some special players and everyone expects the team to excel doesn’t mean it’s a sure thing. Just look at the Toronto Blue Jays last year.

I hope that doesn’t hold true for our Habs because I’m really exited about this team now. We’ve got a couple big guns up front in Pacioretty and Vanek. We’ve got two star caliber defencemen in Subban and Markov and we have one of the top goaltenders in the game in Price. We also have a bunch of other talented players young and older.

With Boston not quite as strong as in years past, Pittsburgh suffering through injuries and not very impressive the last few years in the playoffs, the Habs have a good of a chance as anyone of getting out of the East. If they can make it to the finals you just never know. The Montreal Canadiens definitely get a boost from the fans and their history and magic can sometimes happen.

• AliHaba says:

Agree 100%. We saw in ’86 and ’93 teams that were not even in the conversation but with a hot goalie and some timely scoring history was written. Could 2014 be a year like that? Who knows? Lots of fun hoping though.

69. rhino514 says:

OK, we know Vanek PROBABLY wants to go somewhere else, but……do you think the habs will make him one heck of an offer and pull out all the stops to at least try and get him signed?
    Or will they not seriously try, i.e. Wizniewski.

• Danno says:

All I know is Bergevin has an opportunity to wine and dine Vanek now that he’s a Hab in hopes of persuading him to become one for the long term.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Loop_Garoo says:

Being the only team that can offer him 8 years is a bonus, and Minny might not have the cap room, wont for sure if they sign Moulson.

• johnnylarue says:

If Vanek plays a significant role in a deep playoff run for the Habs, Bergevin will surely open his Haliburton briefcase full of solid gold cheese curds for him.

I could see MB doing the same if TV gives us a point-per-game over the remainder of his stay here.

Anything less will likely warrant a cursory, polite low-ball destined to be politely declined by Mr. Austria.

70. habs_54321 says:

put eller on the wing and keep him there.

71. Habitant in Surrey says:

…for instance I was sickened seeing todays opening of the Sochi ParaOlympics and Putin glad-handing and posing like all is normal, while Canada’s wonderful paraolympians are used as propaganda pawns

72. 4m3y2j says:

The V.E.G line-
    Vanek Eller Galchenyuk

I like it :)

john slattery

73. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m with Trini re Russia

…there’s a point where the distraction of sport should not make Us deaf and blind to serious and threatening international issues

• frontenac1 says:

I’m with Marley. Re/ Jamaica.Saludos!

• Puck Bard says:

THERE you are! Lost Week-Day? Pawn your typewriter for Gomez?

• frontenac1 says:

My last day in Jamaica amigos! Damn I love this place. The nicest people on the face of the earth. Smart too. They figured me out right away. Always kept an eye on me for my own good. Mrs. Front appreciated that, gave her more free time. I Can’t remember much but she said she took some pictures. Well, I’m late for the Rum Shack so, Keep the Faith amigos. Go Habs Go! Saludos!

• johnnylarue says:

It’s madness, and I can’t see it ending well unless the rest of the world simply decides to concede to Putin’s inflammatory, transgressive bully tactics.

I’d ask what’s wrong with the Russian people for having elected such an unapologetic douchebag to office (to use the parlance of our times), but it’s widely believed he rigged the last election so I’m focusing my anger on just that one, miserable-excuse-for-organic-matter of a man. His exit from our collective awareness can’t come soon enough.