We interrupt this Christmas break…

… to bring you Toronto Maple Leaf legend Johnny Bower’s timeless holiday classic, Honky The Christmas Goose. The fundraiser was penned by CBC producer Chip Young and recorded in November 1965 by Johnny with Little John (his son, then 9) and The Rinky Dinks. The tune sold 40,000 copies in its first year.

See the terrific biographical piece by Inside/Out friend Joe Pelletier at his Legends of Hockey website. Happy holidays, John!

1. habscout says:

Dave, do you have an estimate of when the next podcast will be created and posted? I was hoping the first 2008 edition of your podcast would have been yesterday. Perhaps it is in the works, and may touch on the Chicago-Habs tribute from yesterday’s game ?

2. coutNY says:

A holiday Laff of a Story; A sweater nobody wanted! “ Note I am not refering to the Johnny Bower’s story above…

3. RH says:

Now that’s funny. Good job!

Just as Patrick Roy single-handedly won the Stanley Cup for Montreal in 1993 so too did Johnny Bower and Terry Sawchuk for the Leafs in 1967. It was a magical display of goaltending put on by men who were both over forty years of age. Alas, it was against our own beloved Montreal Canadiens that this feat was accomplished.

I remember hearing the record ‘Honky The Christmas Goose’ as it was played constantly on CHUM radio in Toronto. Another record that was charted was entitled,’Clear The Track, Here Comes Shack’ based on crowd favourite Eddie Shack and his bull in a china shop skating style.

Thanks for the research and fond memories Dave.

The Original 24 Cups

5. Corporate says:

Would just like to say you guys are doing an amazing job with the podcasts and it is one of the better ones out there. Great job…

6. The Teacher says:

Dave, hope you’ve digested your Turkey by now :)

I have a kind of technical question.

This hasn’t happened to me before, but for the last few days whenever I want to reply or post, my last post is saved in the box, and it is becoming annoying to keep deleting it before I write what I want to post. How do I keep my post box clear?

7. The Teacher says:

Happy holidays Cournoyer12, hope you got my email?

SpongeBob is a cartoon character from what I gather ;)

I have no idea how you would be able to watch that….I watch it on TSN, don’t know anything about Center Ice.

The U.S. won 5-1 I think, Canada is up 3-0 in the third, Sweden beat Slovakia, and Russia beat the Finns 5-2.

8. The Teacher says:

Pacs apparently suffered an injury on a knee-to-knee hit..dunno his status, Subban was in the stands I think for the first game. no clue on Weber.

9. Rtnrlfy says:

Hey Cournoyer12 –

XM Radio’s Home Ice channel (XM 204) is carrying some of the WJ games but their website doesn’t appear to show any schedule. (I’m hoping they carry today’s US/Switzerland game; so far they’ve carried both Canada games.) I also heard that NHLN-US is going to carry the medal round but I haven’t seen any confirmation of that.

Happy holidays!
    Lesley

10. Wayne says:

Move over Bing – Bower, “the goalie with the pipes and the master between them!”

Thanks Dave, I always liked Bower’s entertaining and fearless style. And, as Ed said, the tune reminds us of the type of person he is. Hockey players are probably the most humble of pro athletes.

Cheers all!

Hey Captain Cournoyer – If all the kids and adults stayed away from school and work because the Lousy Leafs hadn’t won a Cup (in 40 years) there wouldn’t be enough people left in Ontario to ice a hockey team! As for your young nephews, there is no bigger thrill than seeing New York at night from the top of the Empire State Building. Have fun!

The Original 24 Cups

12. MEL FRIEND says:

i wonder what bob gainey has got plan for the newyear a trade perhaps i doubt it he will let huet and ryder walk for nothing at seasons end its not his fault its just reality under the new salary cap.

13. showey47 says:

i’ve read these rumours about ryder to carolina for andrew ladd, i would not do this trade. We do not need another 3rd line grinder. Unless we can sweeten the pot and get something that we really need like erik cole, i wouldn’t waste my time.

14. TradeRyder says:

Interesting. I’m sure people are interested in Huet and know he’s probably available.

But people are talking about Gerber and not Emery? Ottawa would be stupid to not keep Gerber. Loyalty is important.. but they have to keep the bettter guy (and that’s why they kept Lalime way too long).

We’ll get something good for Huet. We won’t get much of anything for Ryder… a minor league goon maybe, or a 4th round pick. He’s worth more – but that’s what we’ll get.

____________________________________________________
    Too late to trade Ryder now….shoulda listened!

15. showey47 says:

Any speculation on what would be coming our way? I do think ryders days are definatly numbered because it would of made sense to play him against the stars to give us some fresh legs instead of icing what would definatly of been a tired team.

16. showey47 says:

No doubt, the habs need a boost. I don’t know if the kings are gonna part with one of their big offensive players for 2 upcoming ufa’s though.

17. Ed says:

Thank you Dave Stubbs. What an inspirational item to have on Christmas day. I did not realize that Bower sang Honky the Christmas Goose, and for a fundraiser as well. Also, what a career – to finally make the NHL at 35 years of age, then to play for 11 years, help the Leafs win 4 Stanley Cups, all with arthritis in his hands, and to make the Hockey Hall of Fame. In addition to his hockey, he fought in World War II, and was lucky not to die like a lot of his friends did.

Even though I am a Canadiens’ fan, I still like old Johnny Bower, & I always did. This reinforces how I feel about him. He is a good human being.

18. Bill says:

Thanks Dave, I really enjoyed reading this, and also discovering the website, which is very good. Merry Christmas.