Waiting for the Bruins

And it’s hockey weather.

Montreal has been wallopped by a late-winter snowstorm.

Red Fisher on the Big Game against Boston

Dave Stubbs wonders, is one hat trick too much to ask?

Jack Todd on Jacques Martin

Arpon Basu on the showdown

Pierre Ladouceur’s Canadiens report card

François Gagnon the home stretch

Is Mike Milbury getting soft?

Stephen Brunt on the Phoenix mess

1. Duracell3 says:

Can’t blame you really. I think I would evaluate the league/refs. There are many that I wouldn’t allow my child to play in. My own hockey was ended with a spinal injury on a hit from behind, that while not preventable really, was certainly foreseeable, it was a matter of time.

My older brother played in the same league about 8 years prior and was amazed at what players got away with when he watched versus a few years earlier. Even at the junior level players are considerably bigger and faster, but are probably no more skilled with their feet and have a far lower respect level.

2. mrhabby says:

nothing wrong with a little bondage.

3. RiverviewCanadien says:

I agree Rob. Not to take anything away from the old hockey because the players were tough as nails, but I think you said it best “Hockey the way it’s played and refereed has not caught up to the equipment they use.  And coaches and refs don’t put enough emphasis on fair play“.

4. SmartDog says:

> I wonder if Balsillie is done making Bettman look like an idiot.

Man I hope not.  It’s the best show in hockey off the ice.

5. SeriousFan09 says:

I do what I can, thanks for posting the story, probably never would have heard about it otherwise (although I have to say the content didn’t surprise me, I’ve seen a lot of penalty-filled Q boxscores of late when I scan the Q webpage).

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

6. Bugs says:

Beating the Bruins???

What, like this team has done 8 of the 9 last meetings?

That’s stupid! Doesn’t Todd know that if the Bruins score 8 goals against us once, they’ll do it again? Doesn’t he know that our 4 pp goals mean nothing? Or that scoring 6 while getting “smacked down” means nothing neither? Todd is so stupid, eh?

7. ProHabs says:

Ya but what is Thomas’ record in fights this year, 0-1. Carey Price’s is 1-0. That needs to be taken into consideration as well. And if the 2 go at it again tomorrow, this time Carey won’t let the Flopper off the hook.

8. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Balsillie should flush some money threatening KHL franchise just to fuçk with these bastards. Considering this nonsense about international hockey, maybe the K goes for it…

9. patience is a virtue says:

Happy Monday HIOers!

I’m usually considered an optimist around these parts, having been impressed since BG made his moves two summers ago and having nothing but respect for JM’s coaching.  But folks are getting a little carried away coming off this little road trip winning streak.

First of all, we had to win those games against Toronto, Carolina, Atlanta and Florida.  Lost to the Leafs but made up for it in spades by beating the Nucks and Bolts.  Nice work team.

Trouble is we have a very tough home stretch coming up – twice against Boston and Washington, and tough matches against the Pens, Bolts, Rangers, Sabres, Devils and several other teams fighting for play off spots.

I’m not counting any chickens just yet and will be happy if we go .500 these next three weeks.

10. longtimehabsfan says:

Uh-oh.  Todd now likes JM, Price and the Habs.  Reverse-jinx on its way.

11. notbigbird says:

But doesn’t every team have “a plan” on how they have to play to beat every other team? That plan obviously fails 50% of the time. Two plans collide: one wins. What we need to know is whether the physical plan is a de facto winner. People will point to Philly, but IMO they’re just better regardless of the plan. Besides, it’s not as if Boston’s plan is new. It’s always their plan to be tough, but it sure doesn’t always work.

We will intimidate them with our speed and finesse game as they try to intimidate us with their muscle.

As long as we stay out of the box with a smart discipline game and let those muscle meat heads enjoy the penalty box, we will pick up our two points.

13. Displaced says:

I think Donald Fehr provided the blueprint for a future NHL map, during his interview with Ron McLean — international markets.  Instead of finding billionaires or stupid cities (cough– Glendale) to fund losses, move to places that would embrace the team and shower it with monetary love.

Think of Atlanta as Team Sweden.  Phoenix in Moscow.  Florida in Slovakia.  One more in Russia.  One in Finland.  One in the Czech republic.  Six teams, in six hockey hotbeds comprising one non-North American division.  The fans would be plentiful (think Roman city states rather than NHL cities), corporate sponsorship abundant, and white-hot TV rights.  Their trips here and Canadian/US teams there would be a big deal.  Much better than Nashville visiting Columbus (with due respect).  And, good news for the NHL, if they can’t find six crippled teams, they can sell franchises to new cities.

I see a International Classic in 2013-14 as the lauching point for this.

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

14. Say Ash says:

The second a team moves back to Canada, I’m shorting the Loonie.

15. DearyLeary says:

Just to stomp out this clamoring for ‘toughness’ that we’ve been seeing over the past couple of days.  Francois Gangon was smart enough to respond to a question about whether we should call up Bonneau and/or Henry.  He tweeted: Not if the Canadiens want to win.

16. Shiloh says:

I watched the Hot Stove conversation where Milbury made his remarks on fighting. He had one main point to make – fighting is in the game because people like it – not because it provides a “letting-off-steam” outlet in a fast, rough game but because people like it. Milbury went on to say that the NHL could do something about it immediately and solve the problem once and for all, but they have decided to leave fighting in the game because people like it.

He spoke the truth.

17. punkster says:

The proper response to the last game is to get the W tomorrow, not to act out some sort of twisted, masochistic revenge scenario. This isn’t a video game.

18. adamkennelly says:

must be nice to be able to see the future.  no Habs will not call up anybody – and frankly that would be worse, acknowledging that this team doesn’t have the power to stand up for themselves without help…but this team must respond.  No White and No Mara, last time we played these guys – so we should be ahead of the game already – enough to respond which they must do.

19. punkster says:

Disagree. The objective is to win on the scoreboard. That’s the only revenge I wish to see.

Post the link please, not the article.

21. RiverviewCanadien says:

No offense taken HH. I would have posted the link but the story was emailed to me. Had I done a little search on CanadaEast, I would have found it.

22. punkster says:

Pandering to pacifism? WTF? I disagree with violent action in sports such as fighting, gooning, intent to injure. Not a damn thing there suggests pacifism, HH.

You wanna step outside? 😉

23. punkster says:

I understand your position Rob. I helped coach some of my son’s minor teams for 10 years back in the 90s. The bigger they got the harder the falls and each year got rougher and rougher. Fortunately he never suffered a head injury and got out before the real serious competition began. I saw too many young kids get dinged and still know a few who today, in their 20s, have had to quit all contact sports because of the number of minor concussions they absorbed. Pond hockey was how I grew up and I wish more kids today had that opportunity. Marvellous!

As much as H-P’s posts are excessive yours are pandering to pacifism by comparison.

I for one wholeheartedly approve of the Islanders response to the Penguins a few weeks ago.

We have to win on the scoreboard but at the same time cannot allow other teams to take liberties with our talented players.

That is why we need a Scott Stevens type of player on the team.

I think most people are asking for a sadistic revenge scenario. You’ve been a Leafs fan for too long it seems which is akin to masochism. No worries. A few more years with us and you’ll see the light.

26. bwoar says:

You brought up the WEC, ugh I just threw up in my mouth.  A lot.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Spread it around if you can. I keep saying these stories need to be spread around more. A lot of kids who are never going to see pro hockey are taking these hits and it’s compromising their lives regardless of what they do after this.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

I agree, ban concussing.

29. bwoar says:

Chris, only the wingnuts that read the Winnipeg Sun are breaking out the party hats.  We’re all heard this song many times, it’s various re-mixes and greatest hits packages… not too many people getting crazy for a return with Bettman in charge.  He’d sooner parade nekkid in a turd rain than move a franchise north from the USA.

30. RiverviewCanadien says:

Don’t have the link, and if you don’t want to read it, skip it!

31. SeriousFan09 says:

Thanks for the article, it’s good to remind people these dangerous hits in the NHL have a trickle-down behaviour. These hits are being done in Junior to look ‘tough’ for scouts and show you can be willing to compromise player safety at any level and it’s cutting off potential NHL careers completely.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

32. adamkennelly says:

a win and no response is still better than a lose with a reponse but a lose and no response is not acceptable…win the game is priority #1 but that is not a guarantee – choosing to respond – that can be achieved with 100% certainty….I would start there and work forward.

33. Displaced says:

I know this is a Habs site, but Phoenix returning to the ‘Peg is a story big enough that Mr. Boone linked a G&M story here, so a few thoughts for someone who lived in Winnipeg the last time they had a team.

Other than a new (small) arena, some revenue sharing and a vastly improved Canadian dollar relative to the US, what has changed in Winnipeg that suggests a team there can thrive?

They were a small market team who performed adequately, drew fans comparable to Hartford and the old Minnesota North Stars (two other teams that moved); the Islanders (wow – it’s amazing how long they’ve been a mess) and lower than the Nords.

The Jets averaged 12,878 per game during their last 7 years in Winnipeg during which time they never exceeded 13,550 per game on average in any season.  Factoring different schedule lengths, the ’94 strike and today’s OTL, they would have averaged 85 points per year in current terms during that period.  Finally, their payroll for their last six year prior to the ’94 strike averaged $7.3m.  In the final pre-strike year, it was $9.2m, post-strike their payroll shot up to $28.1m.  Including a $5.5m raise for Tkachuk to $6m.  Other notables include, Selanne at $2.75m, Doan $800k and Khabibulin at $350k.

Other than an ultra deep-pocketed new owners (Thompson), what will make this team work?

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

34. puck face says:

it’s time to start tanking before it’s too late !!! this team will not win the cup !!!!! stupid Gauthier let the deadline go buy without selling off all our dead weight !!! the Molsons and everyone else must be shown the door by the ctizens of montreal !!!

sorry but i miss the idiot’s rantings , when things are going well they are no where to be found. thought i would post this because this type of ingorance amusses me , i’ll be able to scroll down to it today when i need a laugh.

35. Castor says:

You just know Thomas is going to be more nervous than Carey tomorrow. MaxPac should screw with him all night.

36. Chris says:

It might work, but I share your reservations.  Winnipeg is a VERY small market for an NHL team.  The entire province of Manitoba has a population of ~ 1.7 million, roughly half the metro population of Montreal.

I just don’t see how that team can make money.  The new arena is not any bigger than the old Winnipeg Arena that the Jets couldn’t sell out.  Yes, there are more people in Winnipeg now…but will it be enough?  The team will do well for a few years out of the gate should they return to Winnipeg, but the question is whether they can sustain it through currency fluctuations, losing seasons, etc.  The Thompsons have deep pockets, but do they have the passion for hockey to throw good money after bad?

37. Chris says:

Question:  If you are Jim Balsillie, do you consider a lawsuit blocking the NHL from moving the Phoenix Coyotes to Winnipeg?  He had a deal in place to buy the team, but was told he could not relocate.

Now the NHL is making noises about relocating.  Interesting…I wonder if Balsillie is done making Bettman look like an idiot.  If I was a Winnipeg hockey fan, I think I would be waiting until the Jets were back on Winnipeg ice before being sure that this one has played itself out.

38. Chris says:

For all the people who were ripping Todd for his negativity…she how much rosier his articles are after a Habs win?

Jack Todd is a “What did you do last night?” kind of guy.  :)

39. Displaced says:

Interesting and very lawyerly idea.  I think he wants a team in Hamilton bad enough to stop p-ssing in Bettman’s cornflakes.  Blackberry seems to be the #1 advertiser on the NHL Network in the US.  Coincidence? After the NHL settles the Phoenix situation, they still need to solve Atlanta, Colorado, the Islanders, and — down the road Columbus, Florida, Buffalo, Nashville, and Ottawa… The NHL will eventually beg Ballsillie to buy a team and he will have his pick.

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

40. bigdave says:

The NHL will create a franchise which will have more difficulty signing free agents than Montreal.

Think Ilya Bryzgalov will resign to play in Winnipeg?

Winnipeg has its own charm but it disappears when its 40 below and a north wind is blowing!

PS. also a former Winnipegger: a former season’s ticket holder for the Nats, The WHA Jets and the NHL Jets!

“The Allo Police Media – a collection of bitter ex-coaches, players and wannabees whose collective lack of success accounts for their present positions in Sports’ equivalent of the Jerry Springer Show”

41. Omit says:

Do you mean all the people like fighting in hockey?  You might want to check out the majority of polls in Canada and the States that indicate that you are wrong.

42. RiverviewCanadien says:

No problem, thanks for the posts you provide here on a daily basis (not only the prospects updates).

Exactly what I was thinking on why they occur.

It really has to start at the NHL level. If the NHL shows that there is no place for this type of player, these players will eventually go away from the professional level.

The NHL has a huge task right now. Hopefully they can right the ship.

43. Mattyleg says:

No way.

The concept of an ‘international’ league like that is ludicrous. Think of the travel times and costs. Think of jet-lag. Think of how long that would extend an already over-long season.

That kind of concept is typical of the idiotic, money-driven, cash-grabbing, business-first, no-heart management style that has taken over the NHL.

I don’t care about the NHL. Not one damn bit. I couldn’t care less if that megalomaniacal mess collapsed tomorrow. As a matter of fact, considering where it has dragged hockey, I say the sooner the NHL falls apart, the better.

Then we can start again and do it properly.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Just one month to go, and it is a race for all the marbles now. We are in it this year and we are coming together at the right time of year.

Here is where we fit in the 30 team league with only 1 month to go. Compared to where we were last week.

I am giving the same stats for the 15 team conference as well.

Goals Against–167.  We are in   8th place.  Last week we were in  11th place with 164 Goals Against.

Total Points—- 79.   We are in 10th place.  Last week we were in  12th place with  73 Points.

Goals For——176.   We are in 23rd place.  Last week we were in  25th place with 165 Goals For.

Goals Against–167.  We are in   5th place.

Total points—- 79.   We are in   6th place.

Goals For——176.    We are in 11th place.

45. ZepFan2 says:

I agree, except for one player.

I hope White puts a beating on Campbell.

———————————————————————— “Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.” ~Serge Savard~