Waiting for the Bruins

And it’s hockey weather.

Montreal has been wallopped by a late-winter snowstorm.

Red Fisher on the Big Game against Boston

Dave Stubbs wonders, is one hat trick too much to ask?

Jack Todd on Jacques Martin

Arpon Basu on the showdown

Pierre Ladouceur’s Canadiens report card

François Gagnon the home stretch

Is Mike Milbury getting soft?

Stephen Brunt on the Phoenix mess

1. Chester says:

Todd likes watching Lucic and Chara …

Why doesn’t that surprise me …

2. Shiloh says:

I’m just quoting what Milbury said. I do think that most hockey fans like to see a fight, though, polls notwithstanding.

3. Displaced says:

We move up or drop down 2-3 ranking spots every week.  Parity this season is insane.  I don’t remember anything like it. Every statistical category is beyond tight this year.

10 teams in the league have 75 to 81 points and 11 goals separate 9 teams. Scorers 5 through 16 range from 60 to 69 points. 7 goals separate players 3 through 20.

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

4. Shiloh says:

You know why the NHL will never allow a team in Hamilton?

Because then Toronto would want one.

5. G-Man says:

Nice article on the “Cursed Hat trick Pin.” Well, okay, the Habs used to be able to generate a few hat tricks a season, but no longer, sigh…

Arpon Baitsyou is correct that the Habs cannot turn into the Mountain Street Morons and try to beat the Bruins in the alley. Speed and skill should eff up the Bs, but blaming Gomez for everything that goes wrong is too easy. 5 other players out there, including a goalie who had his worst game of the season, too. Safe to say that everyone sucked in an 8-6 loss.

Todd says Martin is boring. It’s not his job to be entertaining to media hounds; he is there to get the best out of his players. Considering all that has gone wrong this season, he has done a formidable job.

Do most of the old-school fans like fighting? Yes, but they weren’t concussing each other with the regularity it occurs now. Time to ban it forever.

6. Displaced says:

Ian (my brother’s name BTW), you are a romatic and honorable man.

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

7. SmartDog says:

Very sad. Terrible.

I’m going to say something here I might regret.  I was doing some research on injuries and found out the 3 most injurious popular/common sports are hockey, football, and snowboarding.  I have a son who plays hockey but not seriously… I wouldn’t encourage him to play… I encourage him to play sports but I never wanted him to play hockey.  Let him be a serious tennis player or baseball player or skier.  But hockey?  The way it’s played now with the hard and fast equipment players use as weapons?  No way.  We love to go out on the pond with other kids.  But no-one is trying to slam your head agasint the boards, or flatten you because you’re too good.

Hockey the way it’s played and refereed has not caught up to the equipment they use.  And coaches and refs don’t put enough emphasis on fair play.  I love watching it on tv. But no competitive hockey for my boy.

SD

8. Shiloh says:

I watched the Hot Stove conversation where Milbury made his remarks on fighting. He had one main point to make – fighting is in the game because people like it – not because it provides a “letting-off-steam” outlet in a fast, rough game but because people like it. Milbury went on to say that the NHL could do something about it immediately and solve the problem once and for all, but they have decided to leave fighting in the game because people like it.

He spoke the truth.

9. ed lopaz says:

here is a good article which reviews all of the relevant factors;

population, arena capacity, attendance, ticket prices, corporate support etc.

Here’ my take, for what its worth.

Pro Sports always places the burden squarely in the fans pockets – that’s the bottom line.

If Winnipeg gets the franchise, and I believe they will, it will be “up to the fans” to pay ridiculously inflated ticket prices to justify fielding a competitive team.

In the first 5 years (minimum) there will be so much excitement around the team, there will be no problem.

After that – it all falls on the fans to fork out huge dollars that most of them can not afford – especially in and around Winnipeg.

10. notbigbird says:

It’s just that the Bruins have been physical forever, and our record is pretty darn good against them, even when they were supposedly the better team. So, I think there’s more to it.

11. The Cat says:

I agree. Look how well the Isles have been doing since they responded to the penguins.

12. punkster says:

The proper response to the last game is to get the W tomorrow, not to act out some sort of twisted, masochistic revenge scenario. This isn’t a video game.

***Subbang!!!***

13. adamkennelly says:

must be nice to be able to see the future.  no Habs will not call up anybody – and frankly that would be worse, acknowledging that this team doesn’t have the power to stand up for themselves without help…but this team must respond.  No White and No Mara, last time we played these guys – so we should be ahead of the game already – enough to respond which they must do.

14. The Cat says:

It happens. Some teams have the voodoo on others. Chicago does over Vancouver, certainly doesnt mean Chicago has been that much more brilliant than Vancouver in the past. The panthers had the voodoo on the habs for a while too. Just saying you got to look ahead and you got to be prepared for everything thats thrown at you.

15. Duracell3 says:

Can’t blame you really. I think I would evaluate the league/refs. There are many that I wouldn’t allow my child to play in. My own hockey was ended with a spinal injury on a hit from behind, that while not preventable really, was certainly foreseeable, it was a matter of time.

My older brother played in the same league about 8 years prior and was amazed at what players got away with when he watched versus a few years earlier. Even at the junior level players are considerably bigger and faster, but are probably no more skilled with their feet and have a far lower respect level.

16. punkster says:

Disagree. The objective is to win on the scoreboard. That’s the only revenge I wish to see.

***Subbang!!!***

17. Omit says:

Did you even study the polls to see who they asked?

And how are you going to grow the game in the States if the vast majority of parents say that they won’t take their kids to a hockey game because of the violence and fighting?

Post the link please, not the article.

19. RiverviewCanadien says:

No offense taken HH. I would have posted the link but the story was emailed to me. Had I done a little search on CanadaEast, I would have found it.

To be honest I would rather a win with no response to Boston’s thuggery. I don’t believe in revenge. What happened is over and done with. No bones were broken, nobody died.

I am just messing with punkster because he confused his analogy. ;-)

Unless of course the response is to score 4 PP goals and not allow any on the PK. Couple that with a decisive win and the Habs end up in their heads.

I still contend that the Habs need a Scott Stevens type patrolling the blue line. As SF09 states, the player being groomed for that role is Tinordi.

21. punkster says:

Pandering to pacifism? WTF? I disagree with violent action in sports such as fighting, gooning, intent to injure. Not a damn thing there suggests pacifism, HH.

You wanna step outside? ;)

***Subbang!!!***

22. bwoar says:

While many of the replies below have good answers, let me remind you of one important factor, THE factor: winning.

Those attendance numbers?  Tiny.  The team?  A laughable abomination.  Easily the worst-run franchise since its NHL inception.  You thought the Habs had a run of bad drafts?  Winnipeg’s record EASILY beats it.  It’s not even a fair comparison.

The Jets were a franchise run by idiots from the (NHL) start.  The team was never built into a winner, and essentially got shafted by stikes and lockouts.  As a lifetime Expos fan you can imagine how that still smarts.  Worse than trading Willy Lindstom for Laurie Boschman, or Morris Lukowich for Jim Nill.  Or Kris Draper to Detroit for $1.  Ugh.

So you gotta keep in mind, after many, many years of total futility and literally no hope, people in the city started to give up.  The attendance reflects that.  BUT you put Moose head honcho Craig Heisinger in charge on Day 1, and build from what minor success is on the table on Phoenix and THAT is what will be different this time.

The Winnipeg Jets never in their lifetime had 1 day under a competent GM.  Not one.  (Let me repeat, Kris Draper for $1.)  Ditto for ownership.  So it goes in the boardroom, so it goes on the ice.  We’ve seen this be true for many franchises.  The next time this city gets a team, if ever, there will be the right hockey people here on day one, instead of a titanic screwup-fest of greedy people with no hockey acumen.

That said, they will have to compete with the same grifters at City Hall as always, but Chipman & Thompson hold more water in the end than Sam Katz; if they want to badger city council they should have no trouble doing that with an NHL team in their pocket and a 100%-owned arena smack in the middle of downtown.

23. punkster says:

I understand your position Rob. I helped coach some of my son’s minor teams for 10 years back in the 90s. The bigger they got the harder the falls and each year got rougher and rougher. Fortunately he never suffered a head injury and got out before the real serious competition began. I saw too many young kids get dinged and still know a few who today, in their 20s, have had to quit all contact sports because of the number of minor concussions they absorbed. Pond hockey was how I grew up and I wish more kids today had that opportunity. Marvellous!

***Subbang!!!***

24. Hobie Hansen says:

I can’t believe I’m actually saying this, great column today by Jack Todd. I’ve been trying to come to the rescue of Jacques Martin in conversation with friends and many times on this website. I totally love his old school, responsible hockey, way of thinking. He’s doing a fine job back there, especially compared to all the garbage behind the bench bench, except Gainey, before his arrival.

Another thing Jack Todd said that I agree with are the Habs chances. I look at the Habs as being only a slight dog against teams like Boston or Philadelphia. Maybe they’re technically favored but we’ll give them a run for their money and come out on top our share of times.

Finally, Arpon Basu’s article is fair but predictable. Yes we’re all angry the Habs got beaten up and anybody with a heart in their chest would like to see a bit of retribution in a fight one day. However, not many suggested trading a high draft pick or quality player away for a goon. Most people are unhappy because for whatever reason we don’t have a guy or two that can play the game and also win his share of fights against the heavyweights.

As much as H-P’s posts are excessive yours are pandering to pacifism by comparison.

I for one wholeheartedly approve of the Islanders response to the Penguins a few weeks ago.

We have to win on the scoreboard but at the same time cannot allow other teams to take liberties with our talented players.

That is why we need a Scott Stevens type of player on the team.

I think most people are asking for a sadistic revenge scenario. You’ve been a Leafs fan for too long it seems which is akin to masochism. No worries. A few more years with us and you’ll see the light.

;-)

27. bwoar says:

You brought up the WEC, ugh I just threw up in my mouth.  A lot.

28. mrhabby says:

nothing wrong with a little bondage.

29. adamkennelly says:

its not revenge via violence per say – its way more about standing up for yourself and your team.  like it or not – it is part of NHL hockey in 2011 – thats a fact….I am willing to live with the consequences of a loss having stepped up.  In my opinion this will have more positive long term affects than squeaking out a win while being punked all over the ice.  its just my opinion but its based on many many years of experience studying, playing and coaching the game…I don’t advocate violence as a means of solving problems but I understand the reality that in life – every now and then – you have to stand up for yourself….but I digress…and hope Habs win this game.

30. dh says:

No but he’s right.  If we come out tomorrow trying to give the Bruins a beating we’re going to be doing just what they want.  We beat them 3 times this year with speed and skating.  We should not let them dictate that we play to their strength.  We should dictate.  Anyway, we’re playing at home.  I doublt the broons will try the same thing here.

Besides, it was an 8-6 loss.  Not like an 8 – 0 owning.

31. joeybarrie says:

Well I would like to say THANK YOU to all of you who have made this site fun, interesting and even crazy. It was a great run and we had alot of action. However, after reading Jack Todd’s article predicting the Habs beating the Bruins I imagine the world is ending and we are all doomed.

So now that i have seen EVERYTHING, I can die happy i guess….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

32. RiverviewCanadien says:

I agree Rob. Not to take anything away from the old hockey because the players were tough as nails, but I think you said it best “Hockey the way it’s played and refereed has not caught up to the equipment they use.  And coaches and refs don’t put enough emphasis on fair play“.

33. G-Man says:

So, like throw out all the preparation Martin does and just hack at the Bruins? There is 1 Game Plan. Not 2 or 3 or 4; just 1. Montreal has beaten them 8 out of 9 times and suddenly the Bs are so much better? Don’t think so.

34. Mattyleg says:

Pekka Rinne’s also in there with a shout:

23 Wins, 2.10 GAA, .929 %, 5 SO.

That’s not a band buncha numbers for someone playing on a dead duck like Nashville.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

35. adamkennelly says:

wow – not only are the Habs “soft” but we prolly have the softest reporters in the league too…come on guys, grow a set.

we all know we are not going to goon it up and turn this game into a gongshow…but this team needs to respond…this is the NHL.  Force a few of their guys to fight – win or lose…I’m talking Lucic, Campbell and Seguin…then call it a day.

36. The Cat says:

Stamkos, Hiller if he wouldnt have went down.And my choice, Ilya Kovalchuk who’s been huge.

37. SmartDog says:

> I wonder if Balsillie is done making Bettman look like an idiot.

Man I hope not.  It’s the best show in hockey off the ice.

38. SeriousFan09 says:

I do what I can, thanks for posting the story, probably never would have heard about it otherwise (although I have to say the content didn’t surprise me, I’ve seen a lot of penalty-filled Q boxscores of late when I scan the Q webpage).

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

39. rocketsglare says:

Revenge is nice, but winning tomorrow night is sweeter.

40. Bugs says:

Beating the Bruins???

What, like this team has done 8 of the 9 last meetings?

That’s stupid! Doesn’t Todd know that if the Bruins score 8 goals against us once, they’ll do it again? Doesn’t he know that our 4 pp goals mean nothing? Or that scoring 6 while getting “smacked down” means nothing neither? Todd is so stupid, eh?

Masochism. Sadism. People say the Habs need to be more Disciplined. We all want to Dominate them and not Submit to their violence.

What’s next? Bondage?

I can see the headlines now. Habs versus Bruins. Bring your whips, leather and latex. It’s gonna get kinky!!!

42. ProHabs says:

Ya but what is Thomas’ record in fights this year, 0-1. Carey Price’s is 1-0. That needs to be taken into consideration as well. And if the 2 go at it again tomorrow, this time Carey won’t let the Flopper off the hook.

43. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Balsillie should flush some money threatening KHL franchise just to fuçk with these bastards. Considering this nonsense about international hockey, maybe the K goes for it…

44. patience is a virtue says:

Happy Monday HIOers!

I’m usually considered an optimist around these parts, having been impressed since BG made his moves two summers ago and having nothing but respect for JM’s coaching.  But folks are getting a little carried away coming off this little road trip winning streak.

First of all, we had to win those games against Toronto, Carolina, Atlanta and Florida.  Lost to the Leafs but made up for it in spades by beating the Nucks and Bolts.  Nice work team.

Trouble is we have a very tough home stretch coming up – twice against Boston and Washington, and tough matches against the Pens, Bolts, Rangers, Sabres, Devils and several other teams fighting for play off spots.

I’m not counting any chickens just yet and will be happy if we go .500 these next three weeks.

45. dh says:

The best way to not submit to their violence is by putting more of the little pucks into the big net. Maybe the bondage slant would work for their fan base. I lived in Boston but only for 5 years or so. Not enough time to meet an actual Bruins fan. Celtics fans, Red Sox fans and even Pats fans yes but not a Bruins fan.

Habs should be trying to take the NE and forget about this distraction. It starts with beating them tomorrow night.

46. longtimehabsfan says:

Uh-oh.  Todd now likes JM, Price and the Habs.  Reverse-jinx on its way.

47. SeriousFan09 says:

Spread it around if you can. I keep saying these stories need to be spread around more. A lot of kids who are never going to see pro hockey are taking these hits and it’s compromising their lives regardless of what they do after this.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

48. notbigbird says:

But doesn’t every team have “a plan” on how they have to play to beat every other team? That plan obviously fails 50% of the time. Two plans collide: one wins. What we need to know is whether the physical plan is a de facto winner. People will point to Philly, but IMO they’re just better regardless of the plan. Besides, it’s not as if Boston’s plan is new. It’s always their plan to be tough, but it sure doesn’t always work.

I agree, ban concussing.

We will intimidate them with our speed and finesse game as they try to intimidate us with their muscle.

As long as we stay out of the box with a smart discipline game and let those muscle meat heads enjoy the penalty box, we will pick up our two points.

51. bwoar says:

Chris, only the wingnuts that read the Winnipeg Sun are breaking out the party hats.  We’re all heard this song many times, it’s various re-mixes and greatest hits packages… not too many people getting crazy for a return with Bettman in charge.  He’d sooner parade nekkid in a turd rain than move a franchise north from the USA.

52. RiverviewCanadien says:

Don’t have the link, and if you don’t want to read it, skip it!

53. Displaced says:

I think Donald Fehr provided the blueprint for a future NHL map, during his interview with Ron McLean — international markets.  Instead of finding billionaires or stupid cities (cough– Glendale) to fund losses, move to places that would embrace the team and shower it with monetary love.

Think of Atlanta as Team Sweden.  Phoenix in Moscow.  Florida in Slovakia.  One more in Russia.  One in Finland.  One in the Czech republic.  Six teams, in six hockey hotbeds comprising one non-North American division.  The fans would be plentiful (think Roman city states rather than NHL cities), corporate sponsorship abundant, and white-hot TV rights.  Their trips here and Canadian/US teams there would be a big deal.  Much better than Nashville visiting Columbus (with due respect).  And, good news for the NHL, if they can’t find six crippled teams, they can sell franchises to new cities.

I see a International Classic in 2013-14 as the lauching point for this.

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

54. SeriousFan09 says:

Thanks for the article, it’s good to remind people these dangerous hits in the NHL have a trickle-down behaviour. These hits are being done in Junior to look ‘tough’ for scouts and show you can be willing to compromise player safety at any level and it’s cutting off potential NHL careers completely.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

55. Say Ash says:

The second a team moves back to Canada, I’m shorting the Loonie.

56. adamkennelly says:

a win and no response is still better than a lose with a reponse but a lose and no response is not acceptable…win the game is priority #1 but that is not a guarantee – choosing to respond – that can be achieved with 100% certainty….I would start there and work forward.

57. dh says:

I am just messing with punkster because he confused his analogy. ;-)

Ah.  I missed that one.  Then I’m with you.  Go Habs.

58. HabFarmer says:

Well I think there are two things that are working in their favor.  First, the building is enormously successful outside of simply staging hockey games, and contributes significantly to the bottom line.  Couldn’t say that about the old barn.  Second, the ownership is both richer and smarter (and less fragmented) than the previous, with money sources not tied to the local economy.   Oh and a third, there’s no such thing as the Winnipeg Enterprises Committee anymore……. .

Still, it’s a crap shoot, but no worse than the one that took the team out of the city in the first place.

A man’s attitude… a man’s attitude goes some ways. The way his life will be. Is that somethin’ you agree with?

59. ZepFan2 says:

What’s next? Bondage?…

Well we do often hear how one player ties up the other along the boards. I’d say we’re there now. ;)

———————————————————————— “Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.” ~Serge Savard~

60. The Cat says:

I disagree. Speed wont cut it against the bruins, the only saviour is the PP. And we all know the refs aint the habs friends. I dont lose sleep over the habs but even I admit they get the shit end of the stick when the reffing is concerned. And we all know thats JMs plan: to let the Bruins take penalties and kill em on the PP. Im just saying there needs to be a plan B.

61. Displaced says:

I know this is a Habs site, but Phoenix returning to the ‘Peg is a story big enough that Mr. Boone linked a G&M story here, so a few thoughts for someone who lived in Winnipeg the last time they had a team.

Other than a new (small) arena, some revenue sharing and a vastly improved Canadian dollar relative to the US, what has changed in Winnipeg that suggests a team there can thrive?

They were a small market team who performed adequately, drew fans comparable to Hartford and the old Minnesota North Stars (two other teams that moved); the Islanders (wow – it’s amazing how long they’ve been a mess) and lower than the Nords.

The Jets averaged 12,878 per game during their last 7 years in Winnipeg during which time they never exceeded 13,550 per game on average in any season.  Factoring different schedule lengths, the ’94 strike and today’s OTL, they would have averaged 85 points per year in current terms during that period.  Finally, their payroll for their last six year prior to the ’94 strike averaged $7.3m.  In the final pre-strike year, it was $9.2m, post-strike their payroll shot up to $28.1m.  Including a $5.5m raise for Tkachuk to $6m.  Other notables include, Selanne at $2.75m, Doan $800k and Khabibulin at $350k.

Other than an ultra deep-pocketed new owners (Thompson), what will make this team work?

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

62. puck face says:

it’s time to start tanking before it’s too late !!! this team will not win the cup !!!!! stupid Gauthier let the deadline go buy without selling off all our dead weight !!! the Molsons and everyone else must be shown the door by the ctizens of montreal !!!

sorry but i miss the idiot’s rantings , when things are going well they are no where to be found. thought i would post this because this type of ingorance amusses me , i’ll be able to scroll down to it today when i need a laugh.

63. Castor says:

You just know Thomas is going to be more nervous than Carey tomorrow. MaxPac should screw with him all night.

64. RiverviewCanadien says:

For those who follow the Q, and this is quite reminiscent of what has transpired in a few NHL games this year.
    Something has to be done, at all levels in hockey. This is what happened to my hometown team the Wildcats over the weekend.

I hope you get well soon Ted.

BATHURST – I’ve known Moncton Wildcats head coach Danny Flynn for a long time. And I’ve never seen him anywhere near this distraught after a game.

“It was a sad day for hockey,” he said following his club’s 5-2 win over the Acadie-Bathurst Titan in a dangerous, penalty-filled Quebec Major Junior Hockey League contest that was scary to watch on Saturday night at the K.C. Irving Regional Centre.

“I love tough, hard-hitting hockey, but that’s not what that game was about. That was a game of vicious cheap shots. It’s not the product we’re trying to sell in this league. We’re trying to sell skill and speed. That was something right out of (the infamous goon hockey movie) Slapshot.”

Moncton erased a 2-0 deficit and scored five unanswered goals in the final 22 minutes of the game. It was an outstanding comeback that got overshadowed by several dangerous checks from behind and an ugly display that showed disrespect for the sport.

Wildcats centre Ted Stephens, 20, suffered a concussion in the third period with his club leading 3-2 at the time. He was drilled into the boards with a check from behind delivered by Christophe Losier of the Titan.

Stephens laid on the ice for several minutes and then was helped off in what could be the end of his QMJHL career. This ugly incident could threaten his shot at a professional hockey career because that’s two major head injuries this season and you never know the long-term impact.

Stephens missed three and a half months after suffering a concussion on Sept. 22. Two Rimouski Oceanic players nailed him from behind into the boards, a vicious head shot that left him motionless while rink workers had to come out and scrape blood off the ice.

There was somehow no penalty called on that blatantly illegal hit, an embarrassment to the referees. Even more unbelievable was the fact the QMJHL did absolutely nothing about it after watching video, an embarrassment to the league.

It was a repeat on Saturday as no penalty was called on Losier’s hit on Stephens, who was defenceless on the play. Flynn was on the phone to league disciplinarian Raymond Bolduc after the game and the Wildcats sent video of that and much more to the league yesterday.

If this was the Ontario Hockey League under commissioner David Branch, Losier would surely receive at least a 20-game suspension. Branch rules with an iron fist and is well known for handing out severe punishment for acts that disrespect the sport and the integrity of the OHL.

But this is the QMJHL which doesn’t have anywhere near the same kind of backbone when it comes to disciplinary measures. It will be interesting to see if the league comes down with proper punishment on Losier, gives him a token slap on the wrist or does nothing about it.

Acadie-Bathurst, the QMJHL’s second most penalized team, started delivering dangerous checks from behind early in the game and tempers flared from there. There were 16 penalties and several multi-player scrums in the first period.

Those who are entrusted to operate the QMJHL professionally should really watch the entire game and then for a change come down with proper harsh suspensions. Not the typical milk and cookie punishment.

If this had been an OHL game, Branch would have a field day with meaningful punishment that serves notice the league doesn’t put up with this stuff. The QMJHL should actually send the video of this game to Branch and ask how he would handle disciplinary measures. It would be a good learning opportunity for the QMJHL.

“It started from the first shift in this game,” said Flynn.

“We tried our best to ask the referees to call it tight, but they can only do so much. I just hope that Ted Stephens is okay. That’s two major head injuries in one season. I’m sick to my stomach right now.

“That’s not what hockey is about. That type of hockey we saw tonight, I hope that’s gone forever. I’ve been coaching for 30 years and it’s the dirtiest game that I’ve been involved in. It was scary dirty.

“Ted missed 40 games for a check from behind that went unpenalized. He was just starting to get back on top of his game and become an impact player once again. Now, it looks like he’ll be lost for a long period of time for another hit from behind and it’s tough to take.”

QMJHL teams often find themselves trying to recruit players who are weighing their options between major junior and U.S. college hockey.

If I had a son and watched what’s happened to Stephens and how the QMJHL ignored it the first time, I would be pushing him to play U.S. college hockey. I wouldn’t want my son in a league that pays lip service to the importance of player safety, but doesn’t have the backbone to come down with heavy punishment when something happens.

“I can only hope that when the league reviews this incident that proper decisions are made,” said Flynn.

Moncton was leading 5-2 with seven seconds remaining in the game. Acadie-Bathurst had Vincent Arseneau, Garrett Clarke, Jeremie Malouin and Chrisophe Losier – its four most penalized players – on the ice. Three of them have more than 100 penalty minutes.

That’s asking for potential trouble when you choose to finish the game with those guys on the ice. It increased the chances of a multi-player fight or bench clearing brawl. As it turned out, the game ended with Malouin giving a slash to the arm of Wildcats forward Scott Trask.

I have a lot of respect for Titan head coach Real Paiement and he’s a friend, but he wasn’t thinking clearly and showed poor judgment there. He’s a very good coach who’s normally smart.

“Moncton is a chippy team,” he said. “We’re an aggressive team. They were chippy the last time we met. It was hard, tough, physical and probably at times dirty on both sides in this game.”

“We only had three penalties the last time we played them,” countered Flynn. “Was it our hooking or tripping penalty that he didn’t like?”

Wildcats athletic therapist Guy Savoie rushed onto the ice to attend to Stephens. I would’ve interviewed Stephens for this column, but he was too spaced out for that.

“When I got to him, he already had a severe headache,” said Savoie.

“He was dizzy. He was groggy. He felt like throwing up. At one point, he slipped out of consciousness. That’s when I called for the doctor and the other team’s therapist.

“We asked him questions about the past, the present and the future. He had no recollection of how he got hit. He didn’t remember scoring a goal in the game. He didn’t remember who we played against the day before. He didn’t remember which city he was in.

“It’s his second concussion this season. He’s a great kid, a great student and a bright person. I want all our players to do well when they move on from hockey. With hits like that, you hope it doesn’t have a long-term effect.”

* Neil Hodge is a Times & Transcript sports reporter who covers the Moncton Wildcats.

65. Chris says:

It might work, but I share your reservations.  Winnipeg is a VERY small market for an NHL team.  The entire province of Manitoba has a population of ~ 1.7 million, roughly half the metro population of Montreal.

I just don’t see how that team can make money.  The new arena is not any bigger than the old Winnipeg Arena that the Jets couldn’t sell out.  Yes, there are more people in Winnipeg now…but will it be enough?  The team will do well for a few years out of the gate should they return to Winnipeg, but the question is whether they can sustain it through currency fluctuations, losing seasons, etc.  The Thompsons have deep pockets, but do they have the passion for hockey to throw good money after bad?

66. Jdub1985 says:

Mara & White no brainer AT LEAST

Scenario: Habs get an early 2 goal lead and then Lucic starts heckling Price (we watch? or does 52 year old Hamerlik step in and have Campbell cut up his face?) – maybe Chara 2 hands MaxPac AGAIN – do we watch? is that what happens?

You know if the Habs start beating them in the game – they’ll start getting dirty – so we’ll watch (I assume thats the gameplan)

67. punkster says:

Good, level-headed discussion Adam and I see your side of it. It is part of today’s NHL and in many ways a part of our society too. I wonder which has more influence on which, pro sports on society or society on pro sports? Outside pro sports stepping up to injustice is right in my view. If the injustice is serious enough then violence can be justified or even desirable. The degree of the injustice may temper the degree of response I suppose. Is the use of goons, fighting or intent to injure justifiable in pro sports, in a game, in a form of entertainment? Not for me. Everyone’s different.

***Subbang!!!***

68. Chris says:

I think if the NHL goes this route, it will coincide with a dramatic reorganization of the league.  A MLB-like realignment, with little or no crossover games between the divisions (say 10 in N.A. East, 10 in N.A. West, 10 in Europe) with the top 4 teams or something like that meeting for a tournament style championship.  Travel is not going to get cheaper, for a variety of reasons.  This might not be as sure a thing as we might think.

The other huge issue is arenas.  The biggest arenas in Europe are, with a couple of exceptions, not large enough to field financially viable NHL teams.  Consider:

Stockholm’s Ericsson Globe Arena – seats 13,850  (built 1989)

Prague’s O2 Arena – seats 17,360  (built 2004)

Cologne’s Lanxess Arena – seats 18,500  (built 1998)

Bern’s PostFinance Arena – seats 16,789 (built 1967)

Minsk’s Minsk-Arena – seats 15,000 (built 2010)

Moscow’s MegaSport Arena – seats 12,126 (built 2006)

Helsinki’s Hartwall Arena – seats 13,349 (built 1997)

I doubt there would be an appetite for the kind of buildings that the NHL would require (17000+ capacity) in so many of these cities where rinks have only been built over the past 10-20 years.

For this reason, I think the far better route would be for the NHL to form partnerships with the European leagues and combine to create a socceresque “Champion’s League” arrangement for the Stanley Cup.  They could create a “Wayne Gretzky Trophy” for the NHL’s champion, or some other such winner.

69. Chris says:

Question:  If you are Jim Balsillie, do you consider a lawsuit blocking the NHL from moving the Phoenix Coyotes to Winnipeg?  He had a deal in place to buy the team, but was told he could not relocate.

Now the NHL is making noises about relocating.  Interesting…I wonder if Balsillie is done making Bettman look like an idiot.  If I was a Winnipeg hockey fan, I think I would be waiting until the Jets were back on Winnipeg ice before being sure that this one has played itself out.

70. Chris says:

For all the people who were ripping Todd for his negativity…she how much rosier his articles are after a Habs win?

Jack Todd is a “What did you do last night?” kind of guy.  :)

71. Displaced says:

Interesting and very lawyerly idea.  I think he wants a team in Hamilton bad enough to stop p-ssing in Bettman’s cornflakes.  Blackberry seems to be the #1 advertiser on the NHL Network in the US.  Coincidence? After the NHL settles the Phoenix situation, they still need to solve Atlanta, Colorado, the Islanders, and — down the road Columbus, Florida, Buffalo, Nashville, and Ottawa… The NHL will eventually beg Ballsillie to buy a team and he will have his pick.

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

72. JF says:

Your link doesn’t work.

73. Clay4bc says:

Strange…I just copied and pasted it into my browswr, and it worked for me.

__________________________

The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag

74. Castor says:

It’s got to be Mitch Melnick. He rips Martin daily and harshly.
    (So do I! Please make me eat my words Martin!!)

75. HabFanSince72 says:

Which English speaking radio personality is Todd referring to? I also dont listen to sports radio.

76. bigdave says:

Marinaro?

“The Allo Police Media – a collection of bitter ex-coaches, players and wannabees whose collective lack of success accounts for their present positions in Sports’ equivalent of the Jerry Springer Show”

77. 21BIGGionta says:

Sorry for †he weird symbols…i have no idea why it’s doing that…

78. 21BIGGionta says:

Damn this weather…i thought spring was near. oh well,Bruins †øµø®®ø∑ nigh† should be in†eresting!

79. WindsorHab-10 says:

As much as I would love to beat the living crap out of these idiots from Boston (physically), the sweetest revenge is taking 2 pts in regulation.

80. Clay4bc says:

Boone, I just read your article in Crosby – or rather on Gillies. A great read, and I couldn’t agree more. I don’t get to see a lot of other teams while living overseas (I only have time for the Habs games), so I don’t know what’s going on with a lot of the other teams, but I can’t believe someone like this can make the NHL. If there was ever a great argument for contraction, this is it. We need to weed this type of player out of the game for good. I used to like fighting as a whole, but then I grew up. I still think it has its (limited) place, but this is not it.

Here’s hoping Sid the Kid will fully recover, and come back to play at 100%. The thought of him having to retire because of a POS like Gillies turns my stomach.

__________________________

81. Clay4bc says:

Link is here, for the interested…

__________________________

82. The Cat says:

Fun article about the hattrick pin by Stubbs.

83. WindsorHab-10 says:

I enjoy reading Jack Todd’s articles but liking or admiring anything that is a Bruin? Might as well stick a knife into my heart & end it.

84. J.J. of Turku says:

Don’t press cmd while typing? :) @ ‱ ¶ ☢ ✌ ✄ ❆ ➓

Edit: This was to 21BIGGionta…

85. bigdave says:

Is there an email address to contact re: account problems?

Possible my account has been comprimised due to system virus on the company network.

86. CanadienBoy says:

Balsillie must be laughing at the little napoleons

87. Duracell3 says:

The Lupul thing was so stupid, Lupul tried to grab at him and then is mad when he gets hit. Don’t complain about getting hit if you drop your gloves first and the other guy hits you because you try to hit him while he’s undoing his helmet.

As for Hall, he was basically upset that people were continually taking runs at him, in his view. I suppose the last hit was slightly high. Subban though was legitimately highsticked, and was challenged by lupul. That said I don’t see anything wrong with what Hall did either, his choice to end his season I guess.

88. Ferg says:

So remember how PK was villified for supposedly taking an cheap shot in his fight a few weeks ago? Accused of throwing early. Everyone said it was just another example of his lack of respect for the game. Well, my recollection is that PK’s opponent was ready for the tussle. Now contrast that with Taylor Hall’s fight recently. He reacts to a clean hit and goes postal on the guy. Hall was taking shots before his opponent knew there was a fight going on. And what was the reaction to Hall’s poor sportsmanship? Nothing. Except everyone is worried about his ankle. If that was PK,…well you can guess the reaction. So what’s the difference? Just askin.

89. windij01 says:

When the 1st snap shots and movies of Microsoft’s next-generation Courier tablet leaked, I heard from my sources that the prototype during the shots was working Windows seven. March five,microsoft office Home And Business 2010 serial, Engadget acquired some a lot more Courier pics and particulars. According to their material, the components using the forthcoming Windows Cell phone 7.0 working product (and / or even the Zune High definition OS or Project Pink OS). All 3 of those latter working techniques are built on the best from the Windows CE core, not Windows. that’s it? Is Courier a Windows-based tablet? Or is it a Windows CE-centric/Windows Cellular phone OS-based tablet? Or is it a Microsoft Linux tablet? (Needed to thow that in, in anticipation of my a large number of Linux-loving fanboys inside the Talkbacks.) this level, Courier is absolutely nothing but early prototypes and promoting movies. Technologizer’s Harry McCracken wondered aloud no matter whether that is all Courier will ever be – far more of the believe Microsoft does have some form of next-generation Tablet within the operates, which may or will probably not wind up by using the InkSeine and Codex Microsoft Investigate technologies. It can be not surprising that these kinds of a device would assist multi-touch and allow for notice -taking a la OneNote. this point, in my viewpoint, there are actually a number of unique variables influencing which operating procedure that gadget will end up working. Windows will be the substantial cash cow at Microsoft. Consider the HP slate that Microsoft CEO demonstrated at CES this year? It absolutely was running Windows 7, not Windows Cellular phone OS seven.0/Windows Cellular or the Zune Hd OS. Windows isn ‘ t as well massive or bloated to energy some really smooth cellular units. a Microsoft Alchemy Ventures challenge supposedly spearheaded by J Allard, is surely an Amusement and Units kind of factor. Merchandise from the E & D division (Xbox, Zune, mobile phones) aren’t Windows-based. So I ‘ d say the choice could go either way, at this stage …. If the Courier device is Intel-based, Windows is likely to be the OS within. If Courier ends up working Tegra, a CE-based working procedure is likely what will be inside. I know Engadget’s sources are saying Courier is a Q3/Q4 2010 product. I stick by what my sources are still saying: Courier isn’t going to be out until 2011 at the absolute earliest. Even if the iPad ends up being a rousing success,microsoft office pro update key, Microsoft isn’t going to rush the Courier out of its incubation labs. Courier ends up being Windows-based, it could be even later if the Softies want it to run Windows 8. If it’s a CE-based OS like Windows Cellular phone OS, Silverlight will have to be operating without any glitches, meaning it might take an iteration or two to work out the kinks. (Don’t forget,office Home And Student 2010 keygen, Silverlight still isn’t operating – yet – on Windows Mobile or the Zune Hd. It really is expected to debut on Windows Phone seven devices for the initial time this holiday season. your take? If and when Microsoft does deliver Tablet PC 2.0,microsoft office pro 2010 64bit key, aka Courier,office 2007 cd key sale, what will it be operating?