Voices

Hickey gets quotes from the room:

Carey Price felt that his performance against the Ottawa Senators was an improvement over his first preseason appearance but all it proved was that Price and the Canadiens have some work to do before the regular season starts Oct. 7 in Toronto.

The general consensus in the Canadiens’ room after the game was that Price played better and, for 35 minutes, that was true.

Then he gave us a goal on what appeared to be a harmless shot by Jason Spezza from deep in the corner.

“The one in the corner wasn’t that good,” said Price who left just enough space between his leg and the post to allow the puck to go in.  He would surrender two more goals before the period ended to give the Senators a 4-2 lead.

“It would have been nice to make some of those saves but I’m not going to lose any sleep.”

There was some missed communication between Price and Kyle Klubertanz on the Spezza but it had nothing to do with the puck going. Price ignored the No. 1 tenet of goaltending by not sealing off the post and he paid for it.

Price agreed that he might have lost of his focus after the Spezza goal.

“I wasn’t too happy about that. I thought the next two goals were pretty decent goals but I have to make some of those saves.

“I felt a lot better than I did last game. The numbers aren’t going to show; well actually they might but, obviously, it wasn’t the result you want but it’s a work in progress.”

Price’s numbers were better than they were Thursday when the Canadiens lost 4-2 to Boston.  Price played 30 minutes that night and gave up four goals on nine shots.

Veteran defenceman Jaroslav Spacek played the coulda-woulda-shoulda game and said the Canadiens let this one slip away.

“It started pretty good. We had a 5-on-3 power play and if we put that away, it’s a totally different game,” said Spacek. “We made a couple of mistakes and gave them a chance to come back on the power play and a penalty shot  In the end, we pushed it hard trying to get something going and we made some mistakes and they scored some goals.”

The Canadiens had a 5-on-3 advantage on two occasions but failed to score and the team which had one of the best power plays in the NHL last season, went 1-for-9. Ottawa, which ranked 23rdof the power play last season, added Sergei Gonchar in the offseason and the team went 3-for-7 in his Ottawa debut.

As for Price, Spacek said: “I think he was playing great today. We didn’t help him much, especially in the second half of the game.”

Spacek said he didn’t want to make excuses but he noted that the Canadiens played with five defenceman after an errant stick by Nick Foligno clipped Hal Gill in the face.

Coach Jacques Martin said Gill was day-to-day with an eye injury.

Martin he liked the way Price competed, even when the game was out of hand.

“He just has to keep working and the team has to play better in front of him,” said Martin.

1. MsOptimist says:

That’s seriously how you took that comment?

Apparently Price is
    a little smarter than you, realizes this is the PRESEASON still, and
    isn’t going to let a less-than-stellar performance get into his head and
    screw up his entire season. What some may see as maturity, you see as
    apathy. To-may-to, to-mah-to.

2. petefleet says:

If that staement doesn’t tell PG that he f#$%%^ up then I don’t know which one will.  The boy doesn’t care one way or the other.  Gonna be a long season.

Go Habs Go

3. Mark C says:

“That is his job, not invoking tired platitudes to the press.”

Then why are you saying he needs to hire a PR man?

4. TripleX says:

I think YOU need to chill dude.  No need for shouting.

He can get people to relax by putting in a half decent performance on the ice.  That is his job, not invoking tired platitudes to the press.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

5. jkirk says:

It’s also POST the season when Halak led us to our best playoff result in 17 years. Diffidence would be more appropriate.

6. Kooch7800 says:

OK I have to admit watching games on RIS is PAINFUL.  I have to PVR them so I can fastforward through all of the crap to get to the goals and highlights.  If I had to actually sit and watch a full game on there I would lose my mind.  That station is a joke

7. Dave Stubbs says:

RIS is licensed by the CRTC as a sports news network. They cannot, by law, telecast a game in its entirety as would RDS or any other network.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

8. SeriousFan09 says:

Coach Jacques Martin said Gill was day-to-day with an eye injury.

Enforce mandatory visors already!!! This is bush league crap when it comes to protecting players. An AHL prospect lost an eye before the AHL made a permanent rule about players wearing visors.

You are losing an investment if your player is recovering from an easily preventable injury NHL owners, do it for yourselves!!!

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

9. zozotheclown says:

Missed the 2nd half of the game for my own hockey, but I just saw the highlights, its to be expected really. They iced Alfy/Spezza/Gonchar/Foligno against the D corps we brought, 3 NHL’ers of which 1 got hurt and the other is old (takes longer for older players to get into it). In any case, I was expecting loss going in with that in mind, so I’m not too surprised the way things turned out.

As for Price, as I only saw the goals I can’t know too much of how he played, but still, way below where he needs to be. Slightly better, a few decent saves shown, but still not where we want him. Neil’s goal was stoppable, a bit flukey, but stoppable; the Spezza one was an obvious softie, and the first breakaway wasn’t really a nice move of any sorts. Imo 3 of the 6 he could have had, should have had, but its preseason, so I’m not gonna worry too much. Still, its unsettling to see a goalie perform this far below expectations.

Food for thought: If Price was anyone else, say these games were played by Sanford, Mayer, Delmas or even Auld, they would most likely be cut in the next wave.

10. quentin_stuckley says:

they’d certainly be cut more slack.  i don’t think fans would be on this site claiming the season was over.  there wouldn’t be any phone-ins calling for their heads.  i understand that price is going to be held to a higher standard than these goalies, but some people are too vicious towards carey on a personal level.

11. pointu says:

Careys not going to lose any sleep because he will be passed out on Molson ex.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

I think you’re mistaking Carey’s night with yours.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

13. otter649 says:

Mature……..

14. quentin_stuckley says:

yes, i understand.  t’was a play on words my friend. a play on words.

15. noelsroyce says:

The previous poster said “cut” as in, removed from the team. He/she did not say “cut some slack”.

~Erin

16. TOEmastro says:

cheers, your rebuttal was worded nicer than I would have put it. I heard someone say the same thing on CJAD and I started punching a wall for how badly lost in translation his comment was.

17. TripleX says:

Someone get Price a PR guy pronto, because when he opens his mouth my blood boils.  ”not losing sleep “???   Really?

Is he just so completely naive about optics or simply arrogant?  Either way management or his agent better set him straight.  Comments like that are ill advised and just throwing fuel on the flames of discontent.

Even if it is true don’t make comments like that Carey.  Come on!

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

18. The Nut says:

ITS PRESEASON!!!!!!!!!

He is trying to get everyone in the frame of mind to relax and not overreact.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

If he said these games were haunting him everyone would be calling him mentally soft and a nervous wreck, what the hell is he supposed to say to please everyone?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

20. habstrinifan says:

Afraid to go to bed because I sense a nighmare coming on. Gui Latendrese lights up the habs for 3 goals and the fans who boo’d his introduction are chanting GUI GUI GUI. Meanwhile Pouliot and Price wake me from my RIM sleep chanting “it’s only exhibition” and the ghost of JM hovers over me repeating over and over “go to the NET man go to the NET?

Need some positives from next game.

21. Bob Barker says:

Did you mean REM sleep or do you dream about your Blackberry? ;)

22. Da Hema says:

Somewhat off topic, but the following is a funny rugby commercial.

————————

“There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge….”

–Hunter S. Thompson

23. Rugger says:

You made my day! and since I can barely move after playing rugby yesterday this helps a lot.  Just sent it to my team.

24. TripleX says:

How about: ” I need to play much better and I am working diligently with my goalie coach to improve and working through my technique trying some new things so there are bound to be errors”.

Telling the fans to “chill” and that he is “not losing sleep over his play” just sends the wrong message.  It is time to start maturing, I mean seriously he is much older than I am.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

25. showey47 says:

So you want him to say cliche’s?  It doesn’t matter what he says the haters are going to hate. If he gives the response you tell him to give here is what his haters will say in response. “Why wasn’t he working on a “new things” during the summer with his personal goalie coach instead of now 2 weeks before the season starts”. There’s no point,no matter what he says it will get twisted into something else. I find it so damn disgusting that our own “fans” feel the need to do this to our players every year.

EDIT: This is his quote from today’s gazette.  Something along the lines that you felt he should have said. So lets see if it does any good,my guess is no.

“I wasn’t too happy about that. I thought the next two goals were pretty decent goals, but I have to make some of those saves.”

“I felt a lot better than I did last game. The numbers aren’t going to show; well actually they might but, obviously, it wasn’t the result you want, but it’s a work in progress”

26. JF says:

Not having seen the game, I can’t comment much, but the entire team obviously fell apart halfway through.  In a pre-season game in which half the lineup are rookies and prospects, that can happen easily enough, but Price’s performance has to be worrying.  10 goals on 39 shots; even though some of the goals were breakaways and he did not have much support from his defence, a starting goaltender obviously has to do much better than that.  The last game I can remember Price winning was the 6-5 overtime victory against the Capitals in February.  I think we were leading 5-2 going into the third period, and at least one of the three goals the Caps scored in that period was a softie.  Even if he starts a game well, Price usually seems to lose his concentration (or something) at some point during it and give up one or more bad goals. This has to be a concern and maybe goes partway towards explaining people’s perception that the team does not play well in front of him.

27. Keith says:

I suppose the CRTC Nazis would revoke their licence if they showed the entire game. A better question would be, why doesn’t the NHL show all exibition games? People would watch, the proof is on here.