Vintage blah in Kanata

sens-score

Your Montreal Canadiens played like a team that’s clinched a playoff berth.

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

Quick Hits and About last night …

Arpon Basu on Andrei Kostitsyn

Pierre Ladouceur’s game analysis

• Hickey on Kevin Gilmore, Canadiens new COO

I think they were saving themselves for a very deep playoffs run.

2. moementum says:

It was no wonder the Habs scored in dying minute of the game, Gomez was not on the ice. No wonder they lost in overtime Gomez was on the ice. If you watched the overtime goal you can see how lazy Gomez really is. He does this all the time. When he get close to the opposition net he either passes or takes a weak shot and skates away from traffic. I never believed that he would even try to make a difference with the Habs. He is just here to collect his paycheck. I wonder how his French lessons are coming along. It’s no wonder he never let his apartment in NY go.
    A message for JM. Definition of an insane person; someone who keeps doing the same thing over and over again and expects different results.

3. JF says:

Good piece by Arpon Basu on Andrei Kostitsyn. His last point is perhaps the most positive. If Kostitsyn is showing that he can be coached to fit into a system – and his much improved defensive play this season suggests that this is the case – he could be an extremely valuable contributor. I’ve never bashed him or thought he should be shipped out, and I see little point in dwelling on the 2003 draft class. He’s a big, strong, immensely talented player, he’s often our best forward, he’s scored several game-winning goals. This year he also looks more involved than in previous years, both on the ice and with his teammates. I often see him talking to the others on the bench, and his delight when he scores is infectious. I think he wants to be here, which I was never sure of before. I hope the Habs re-sign him, perhaps for one year with a modest raise to show they have confidence in him. If the year goes well, they can then lock him up for several more.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I agree with you and most of the article. 18 minor penalties in 80 games are not that much of a problem though. I would like us to sign him for two years, 7m (7.5m max). People who keep on criticizing him should try to live with the fact that he´ll probably never be consistent. As long as he performs in the playoffs (that remains to be seen) I don´t care if he goes through two regular season slumps when he finishes the season with at least 20 goals and 45 points.

People should also forget the 2003 draft. There were a lot of other teams that missed out on players like Parise, Getzlaf and Perry. Michalek and Zherdev were picked more than 20 spots higher than Perry and at number 12, the Rangers took a guy like Hugh Jessiman, so it´s not all that bad. I also rather feel very good about the 2007 draft than feel bad about the one in 2003.

• wild flower says:

If the Habs go anywhere in the playoff, Gomez will be one of the main reasons.

• Habfan4lfe says:

You mean down the toilette right? Either that or you have to seriously wake up. If there is one person in the lineup I cannot stand it is that useless piece of garbage Gomez.

• LA Loyalist says:

Huh? How delusional are you? The guy has done nothing in a year. What possible basis could you have to think he will suddenly turn into a 2nd line NHL center? All I ask of Gomez in the playoffs is that he doesn’t take stupid penalties and makes clean line changes. That’s it.

The bar is low.

Anything we do this year will be Price and the kids and hopefully Cammi.

• LA Loyalist says:

He might do better under a good coach :) no question about his skill which would not be easy for us to replace.

4. Shiloh says:

Really enjoyed Arpon Basu’s article.

5. HalifaxHabs says:

man they looked out of it in OT, but seeing them get that tying goal with 10 seconds left was very positive.

Kostitsyn has been quite the set up man for Cammy the last few games.