View from there: Ovechkin dings Theo

AUDIO: Bruce Boudreau | John Carlson

BEN RABY
Washington Capitals Radio/Special to Inside/Out

ARLINGTON, Va. – Goalie José Theodore left practice early today at the Kettler Capitals IcePlex in northern Virginia. Theodore went down after taking a shot midway through practice – it was inside the knee, off the stick of Alexander Ovechkin – and was looked at by the Capitals trainers and equipment staff.

After a few minutes on the bench, Theodore returned to the ice briefly before leaving practice again and returning to the Caps dressing room. The Capitals scheduled starter for Thursday’s Game 1 was not made available to the media.

“He just got a stinger,” head coach Bruce Boudreau said. “We decided to keep him
off because he had already had his shots…. It hurts right off the bat
but it’s on the bone. It’s fine, he’s fine.”

Nicklas Backstrom was back on the ice today after missing yesterday’s
practice. Backstrom skated in his usual spot alongside Alex Ovechkin and
Mike Knuble on the Caps top-line.

“He’s not feeling 100 per cent,” Boudreau said, “but another day of rest
after today’s practice and getting a little sweat, I think he’ll be
fine.”

1. SeriousFan09 says:

Respectfully disagree, the Penguins have a generational bandwagon. That team was about to fold before they intentionally threw the 83-84 season to get Lemieux in the draft and were wretched before that with no audience. Lemieux shows up, then Mellon Arena starts to actually sell tickets again. They ride Lemieux for a long time build a championship squad, than he retires, the team does okay, then after Lemieux comes back and the team’s working through their financial issues, they plummet to a half-decade of absolute failure with no one on the roster save a couple of names with no one coming to see the games. Then they start drafting Fleury, Malkin, Crosby and suddenly everyone’s packing the Mellon arena again as the team starts to actually have success.

Washington, yes it’s a bandwagon team but at least they’re not repeat offenders.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

2. COPOKA HA KOPOBE says:

He will break Lapierre’s spinal bone as well.

3. sholi2000.com says:

He plays for the Caps, anyone in goal will get wins.

They call me Shane

4. sholi2000.com says:

Pretty sad how this guy keeps coming back.  Poor fella, he really needs this site.  I feel sorry for him.

They call me Shane

5. likehoy says:

he writes a column for the ottawa citizen? or ledge? or something like that. and it deals with the sensusually.

- We’ve gotta beat the beat, and fist pump our way to victory!

6. Ayan_SB says:

The intangibles are great but you also have to look at points. All the attributes you mention can be applied to Zach Parise, a player who’s scoring at a PPG on a ultra-defensive team like NJ Devils is impressive. Hell, you could even apply them to Mike Richards, who’s only now hated because of that hit on Booth.

I’ve read Toews comparisons to Yzerman, for his leadership and his cool and collected demeanour. They call him Mr. Serious and he’s only 21 lol! But people forget that Yzerman was an absolute scoring machine before he ever became the leader that most people now remember him as. In that sense, you could say Stamkos is comparable to the younger Yzerman.

In any way, Toews is only 21, it’s only a matter before he hits 70 points, eventually 80 points and probably more. But before he does, I still con

7. punkster says:

I agree, to a degree. He belongs there today. Will he have the longevity of those guys? If he lasts the 20 years (and more) that these guys did and continues to wow us, like they did, then I agree fully.

8. ed lopaz says:

not really looking at points – as much as “how” the game is played; intensity, determination, consistency, positionally, sportsmanship but with an edge

They’re all great players – who you mention – but I think 20 years from now….his overall game will be recognized in the Hall of Fame

like Crosby – just unbelievable.

9. andrewberkshire says:

And if you disagree with Habitual Offender/Habsynthe/Habs_Guru/Bleu_Blanc_et_Rouge he’ll stalk you on the internet and post pictures of you on HIO, then he’ll send you insulting emails.

10. ab-hab-nut says:

Pooliot? I hope your right, but from the last 12 games he has been a no show and he does NOT like to get mucked up in front of the net. I wish he would play big like Gionta…

11. Ayan_SB says:

Toews hasn’t hit 70 points in his career yet. Parise had 82 points this year, 94 points last year. Backstrom just hit 101 points this season, and had 69 points his rookie year, which is Toews’ career best so far. Not saying Johnny ain’t a good player, but in terms of offense, for now Kane’s the #1 guy in Chi-town.

12. JSP1990 says:

With a hurt Backstrom and no Fedorov to replace him on that line this year, it could really work for the Habs. Just have Moore, SK and especially Moen check them hard. That line can be shut down. Look at what the Bruins did when they were fighting to get the Rocket and Art Ross for Ovechkin.

13. andrewberkshire says:

Actually you did state something that wasn’t true James, although it was a question. No, Varlamov didn’t have better numbers than Price.

14. ed lopaz says:

Crosby – that’s it

15. ed lopaz says:

mike – I was around to see Gretzky, Messier, Coffey all break in together – they were phenoms.

Hockey was very different then.

the players were smaller and slower.

the equipment / technology was not what it is today – they used wood sticks!

I really don’t want to say anything about Backstrom and Green – although they appear to be great young players.

But buddy – Ovechkin – he is bigger, stronger, faster, and has a way better shot than gretzky .

Gretzky had the best “vision” of the ice of his generation – and that made him an unbelievable hockey player.

But Ovechkin absolutely belongs in that category – absolutely.

16. Ayan_SB says:

As in the most complete players?

Sidney Crosby, Zach Parise, Nick Backstrom off the top of my head. And I’m obviously a big fan of Toews.

17. oshawahabsfan says:

I agree, I won’t even watch Sportscentre anymore unless he’s on it. Him and O’Toole make a pretty good duo, never over the top serious, and they don’t try too hard to be funny at the same time. They seem to be the only ones who ever take shots at the Leafs on air, which I appreciate since I live in Toronto, and every other station and on-air personality seems to want to do everything in their power to promote that pitiful excuse of an organization.

18. andrewberkshire says:

Model franchise for sucking their way to the top for sure, but the model for bandwagon fans is Washington. No doubt about it.

19. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

*as is Mr. Halak in Slovakia, all-important correction.

20. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I know he is slovak, failed to articulate that. much obliged.

21. Say Ash says:

They might hurt themselves, though.

22. oshawahabsfan says:

I too made a mental note of that while watching the playoff preview shows on CBC and TSN. I was shocked that CBC’s player questions didn’t feature any Leaf players, considering they were stupid enough to show the audience members who wearing Leaf jerseys on a program previewing the playoffs.