Video update: Kostopoulos suspended 3 games

Tom Kostopoulos’s disciplinary hearing was today by phone.
André Ringuette, NHLI via Getty Images

Canadiens forward Tom Kostopoulos has been suspended three games for his hit of Toronto’s Mike Van Ryn Saturday night.

He will be unavailable to the team tomorrow night vs. Ottawa, Thursday in Boston and back home Saturday vs. Philadelphia.

From NHL.com: Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Kostopoulos is considered a repeat offender, having been suspended one game last season for a fight, and will lose $32,926.83 from his salary. As a repeat offender, the salary forfeit is based on games in the season (82) rather than the number of days (186). The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

A statement from Kostopoulos released by the Canadiens:

"First and foremost, I sincerely regret the injuries suffered by Mike Van Ryn. This is an unfortunate turn of events. I was just trying to get in on the forecheck and get the puck. I didn’t anticipate him turning and couldn’t stop.

"I was trying to finish my check and obviously it did not end up well. I never intend on injuring another player. I feel bad. I hope he is going to be all right and resume playing as quickly as possible."

Go here to see Maple Leafs coach Ron Wilson address the situation in his post-practice comments today, before the suspension was announced.

1. Proudones says:

Sad state of affairs when a player gets suspended for doing exactly what he is expected to do.
    Of course I expected nothing less from the second biggest political animal in the NHL.

2. 130r says:

In all honesty I don’t think this was a dirty hit. On the face of it is. Van Ryn did turn at the last minute and there was little TK could do. TV does not do justice the speed that these guys play at and there was no way TK could pull up. This was as Damian Cox wrote on his blog a “good play gone bad”. I thought the hit on AK46 by Sauer was far worse flying elbows and all. So on the face of it I would have supported a 1 game suspension to “appease”. Van Ryn also turned and looked and took it for granted that TK would pull up. 3 games is a joke. Earwig from Toronto should be up to 25 games as JimVinny put it….his hits are premeditated.
    That’s all for this rant.

3. shadi says:

Three games is a bit much, considering we’ve seen players get hit like this dozens of times, only to get fewer games — or no games at all.

He deserves a suspension but this is a bit much.

4. JIMVINNY says:

Read the NHL.com version, if you want a reason to become even angrier;

“Kostopoulos chased him down from behind and cross-checked Van Ryn face-first into the end boards” BS. There was no cross-check, and chased him down? WTF is that supposed to mean?

“While it is my determination that Kostopoulos did not deliver a check to an unsuspecting opponent, his actions caused injuries,” said NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. So basically, Colin, what your saying, is that there is nothing wrong with the hit, but we need to start suspending guys when their actions result in injury. Yep, that certainly sounds like a precedent we want to set. Good call, @$$hole.

5. Number31 says:

It’s what we call putting one’s foot in one’s mouth. Will he keep Hollweg in the pressbox all season for fear of having to come out and defend him or fess up to his own suggestions of cutting the roster? Maybe he should bench Grabs for spearing since the refs couldn’t see it.

6. Hockey11 says:

No penalty was called

7. JasonM says:

What a dumb thing to say.

8. HabsFan2 says:

YIKES!

———————————————-

When you talk about the Canadiens, you have to put the word ‘family’ in front of it.” – Patrick Roy

9. Xtrahabsfan says:

That was brilliant otter649,freaking perfect the way you’ve mixed fact with fiction,lol…Ladepresse,ha,ha,ha.Thanks man I needed that.
    Now for you other fans on the Tom the Bomb thang,3 DAYS ..NO BIG DEAL,heck Tom’s sat out that before and that what you should get for that mistake,makes me wonder how many games you get for accidental murder,what 5 games? geeses.
    And as for this high school tit for tat bullshit,O Howleg this,C Neil that etc…..STFKUP YER SOUNDING LIKE MARLIES FANS ,which thank the God’s we’re not,lol

10. Number31 says:

Ugh… I can’t take 4 more of Wilson…

11. 93miraclecup says:

Hollweg is a joke and I agree he should have gotten much more than he did. It doesn’t take away from the fact that, intentional or not, Kostopolous injured a guy and that can’t be tolerated.

12. HabsFan2 says:

Ha, I win. ;)

13. HabsFan2 says:

He sounds like a complete idiot.

I’ve got a feeling this bullspit will wake the Habs up…hopefully.

14. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

correct.

15. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

believe half of what you see and none of what you read…
    learn to find the truth between the lines…
    and accept that there are persons behind the curtain pulling all the strings, all in the name of money….thats the drug.

you’ll get a different perspective on things…

16. Exit716 says:

Sauer also plays for the Great Wayne Gretzky too, so that factored in to it.

17. JIMVINNY says:

Fantastic.

18. Moey says:

Well done. You had me until you mention Carbo buying his suits at Moore’s.

19. Exit716 says:

Wilson also said he was the greatest coach in the NHL last spring too after running San Jose out of the playoffs.
    He’s a buffoonish media whore.

20. Mr.Hazard says:

I was ABOUT to post that quote. Ridiculous.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

21. ebk says:

I love your posts, don’t agree much but your passion is cool. I’d also like to know who supplies you with your meds. I’d like some. :)

22. otter649 says:

LaDePresse — Nov. 10 — Montreal, QUE

Does Carey Price want out of Montreal? Is he looking to follow in the footsteps of Patrick Roy and demand that he be traded? After the pounding he took Saturday night against the Leafs, who would blame him? In an exclusive interview with LaDePresse, Price was reluctant to go on the record, but he was clear about one thing: he doesn’t much like what he’s seeing in front of him.

“All the pundits said we’d have a good team this year, and in some ways we do. But Saturday night’s game with the Leafs shone the light on some glaring deficiencies that we have, and I don’t know that there’s any plan to correct them.”

Asked to identify those deficiencies, Price was circumspect.

“Oh, I don’t know. I guess if you look at things statistically, you might get some clues. Like us being outshot 40-20 by Toronto. Or the fact that Toronto got three goalie interference calls in the space of 10 minutes. Things like that might point to a problem with our defense, but I’m just a kid from western B.C., what do I know?”

Price has reason to be concerned. The Canadiens have been routinely outshot this year and haven’t even had to play many of the league’s top teams yet. The team has no bona fide checking line to go up against opponents’ more dangerous forwards. The team’s defense is relatively small in size and shallow in depth. And its scoring and power play are not what anyone expected them to be. Plans for a 25th Stanley Cup parade are most definitely on hold.

“I’m not saying I’m going to leave in mid-game and march up to George Gillette’s suite and demand an immediate trade or anything,” Price said, “but if any of you press guys have his cell phone number, I’d like to keep it handy.”

What would help keep Price in Montreal? Are there any specific things he’d like to see the team address? There are plenty.

“Well, for one thing,” he said, “I’d really like it if we had some defensemen who could, you know, play defense. When I think of the word defense, I think of forts, cannons, impenetrable walls, boiling oil. Our defensemen are more like those little gnats we have out in B.C. that buzz around and try their best to annoy you but don’t really amount to anything.

“If possible, I’d also like to spend a little less time underneath opposition forwards who’ve crashed into me, sent me flying into the net, and have wound up on top of me, breathing their garlic breath in my face. Five times that happened Saturday night – though it was only called on them three of those occasions – and nobody on my team seemed to care. Where I come from, we stick up for our own better than that.”

Phone calls to Canadiens GM Bob Gainey were not returned by press time, but we did manage to reach the team’s coach, Guy Carbonneau, who was kind enough to respond to our questions while being fitted for some new suits at Moore’s. In Carbonneau’s mind, Price’s complaints are not completely without merit.

“I wondered how long Carey was going to stand for getting knocked over like that,” Carbonneau said with a chuckle. “Wider pinstripes, please… Oh, and I’m not a bit surprised that he’d like to see our defense strengthened. You guys in the press don’t get to see the welts and bruises this kid has, but those of us in the locker room do. He may be 20, but he has the body of a 40 year-old veteran of the Battle of the Bulge. Charcoal! I said charcoal! Not verdigris!”

Asked if he planned to play backup netminder Jaroslav Halak more often in order to get Price out of the line of fire, Carbonneau sounded unsure. “I might, but I probably won’t. I mean, if it means losing Carey, then we’ll probably put Jaro in there more. But Carey can’t have it both ways. He can’t tell me that he wants to play every night, and then gripe when they light him up for 6 goals just because his defense decides to go tour the CN Tower.”

Price’s fellow players were reluctant to comment on the young netminder’s complaints, but a few agreed to comment off the record. One of the Canadiens’ larger defensemen (a fellow with a professed fetish for purses) said: “I don’t know what he’s complaining about. The guy makes more than three times what I make and he’s younger than I am. When he stinks the place out, nobody’s on GoHabs.com saying he should be sent to the minors. But all I have to do is trip over a skate lace and they all want my head. If I were him, I’d pipe down and just concentrate on doing a better job between the pipes.”

A veteran forward took a more philosophical view of things, saying: “Carey is a young player. In time he will learn, as I did learn, that no one can give 100 percent every game, every week. The hockey season is just too long. Some nights, the whole team will try. Other nights, just half the team will try. And some nights, like this Toronto game, only he will try. We players never know what schedule our teammates are on. Is it their night to try or are they on an off-night when they are not planning to try? It can be very confusing, especially to a younger player. Take me, for example. Even though it is a contract year, and I will become free agent at end of season, I still do not try every night, much less every shift. This would be madness, not to mention tiring. It is one of the most important lessons I have tried to instill into the minds of my young protégés from Belarus.”

Fans of the young netminder are hoping that Price stays around a while — at least long enough to bring the club its 25th Stanley Cup. “Price is a god, said 30 Nilan, a poster at the Gohabs.com website. “ It would be nice if he’d drop the gloves once in a while and defend himself, but other than that I have no problem with the guy.”

Only time will tell how long Carey Price is destined to wear the bleu, blanche et rouge. But one thing does appear certain: the Canadiens are going to have to do a better job of protecting their young star if they want him to stay around for long.

“Carey Price has won a Canada Cup, he’s won a Calder Cup — he just used to winning,” said another Habs player (who happens to wear an extra C on his sweater). “He came here because we drafted him and he had to, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to win. He does want to win — very badly. And if he doesn’t think that he can win here, he may certainly want to consider going someplace where he can win. Personally, I don’t understand that point of view at all. I’ve been with this team for quite a while and have always been down with the fact that we would never win. But I guess it’s different strokes for different folks. Come to think of it, though, if Carey does demand a trade to a contender, maybe he’ll put in a good word for me! When you get right down to it, there’s nothing really wrong with playing for a good team and winning, I guess. Is there?”

Where would Price want to go if he left the Habs? He’s not saying, but this much is clear: it won’t be Russia’s KHL.

“Never,” said Price. “Not in a million years. I’d play professional roller hockey before I’d go there. Have you seen what Russian players consider a tough defense? I wouldn’t want to pay in front of six Russian defensemen for all the rubles on earth …”
    _________________

23. gincognito says:

Yup. Taken cbc sports:

“Philadelphia Flyers defenceman Randy Jones was suspended for two games by the NHL on Monday for his hit on Boston Bruins forward Patrice Bergeron over the weekend.

League disciplinarian Colin Campbell said he didn’t believe Jones intended to injure Bergeron when he drove him into the boards from behind during the first period of Philadelphia’s 2-1 win Saturday night in Boston, but that the Flyers defenceman delivered a “hard check to a player who was in a vulnerable position.”

I don’t remember the details of the hit (haven’t bothered to look it up on youtube), but it doesn’t sound like the extent of the injury was known at the time. Doesn’t sound like they knew he’d be out for the season. Only that an injury had occurred therefore it required further investigation and, ultimately, a 2 game suspension.

Look, I’m not saying things are perfect or even fair. I’m just saying, like it or not, the occurrence of an injury is ONE of many things looked at when reviewing these things. Often it’s “no harm, no foul” and “harm, well, let’s look at all the other factors.”

d.

24. komo8 says:

i checked he got 2 games

25. nightmare_49 says:

The NHL must have been reading the comments of this laff blogger (Scott Brady) whose headlines were – It’s time to man up, Kosto
    Here’s Tom (douchebag, asshole, retard) Kostopoulos: http://oldguysinblue.blogspot.com/2008/11/its-time-to-man-up-kosto.html leave feedback

26. HabsFan2 says:

Ron Wilson: “If I shoot you right now, I would say you should have been wearing a bullet proof vest.”

Is this guy for real?

Comparing a criminal act to a hockey play?!

27. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

because the Toronto Syndicate loved that head shot, they showed it a million times on the Syndicate network and never remotely mentioned suspension…
    watch the ROCKET movie…it explains why these things happen.

28. Spider-Man NL says:

Sauer’s head shot on Kostitsyn cause an injury, why wasn’t he suspended?

29. komo8 says:

on a very similar play last year i believe randy jones only got 1 game for his hit on patrice bergeron

30. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

habs will bounce back, but still lose, they are in a downswing and are a marked team….too much publicity.

We need to call up some Hamilton boys…it will make a big difference.

31. Fansincebirth says:

As much as I would have loved to have seen nothing additional happen to TK, I knew it would be at least 3 games. Loaf fans were screaming for blood and they got it.

Point was made about consistency and that is what this league lacks, in spades. Wander through the youtube videos and compare it to the number of games players have been suspended for what they did and then shake your head in amazement. Muttering “WTF” under your breath helps too.

I’ll take the 3 games and thank the Hockey Gods he didn’t (wrongly) receive more from the league…..

32. HabsFan2 says:

“Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Kostopoulos is considered a repeat offender, having been suspended one game last season for a fight

A fight?

LMFAO.

Then maybe Colin can explain the one game suspension Holliweg received!? I mean after all, Holliweg is a multiple repeat offender.

What a joke.

33. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

come on habitants, what did you expect? going up against the TORONTO SYNDICATE…
    lucky the entire team wasn’t disqualified from post season play…

don’t worry, we play those bastards 4 more times…can’t wait.

34. habsgod says:

i think your missing the point here! yeah tommy k deserved a suspension but this is a litlle harsh considering it was his 1st time and hollweg makes a career out of those kind of hits and gets 2 games and randy jones puts a guy out for the season and gets 2 games? where’s the justice?

35. RetroMikey says:

A fair suspension. 3 games, my prediction is right.
    There’s no respect anymore among the NHL players as in the old days.
    Let this be a lesson to everyone playing hockey.
    Changes have to be made.
    Now, let’s end this discussion for all and talk about the game with Ottawa tomorrow night.
    Predictions anyone? Ottawa will be hungry as well!

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

36. gincognito says:

I’ll repeat: “…they take severity of injury into account when handing out the discipline.” How exactly does that translate to injury = suspension?
    The internet is far to black and white for a gray guy like me…

d.

37. habsgod says:

hey timo i thought of doing the same the f bomb laiden tirade but it’s not worth getting a suspension! but i agree with your post 100%

38. 93miraclecup says:

Guys, Van Ryn is out for a month. Intentional or not, he was badly injured. Three games is not out of line.

39. habsgod says:

this is a bloody joke plain and simple 3 games come campbell wake up! the cheapshot artist hollweg goes around doing this all the time and he gets 2 games! some idiot leafs fan commented today that the next time we paly them he hopes that hollweg gets revenge! all as i told him is remember this name gorges laraque and a bloody and batter hollweg and we’ll see revenge!

40. showey47 says:

agreed, if van ryn gets up and skates to the bench it is probably 2 mins for boarding

41. JIMVINNY says:

The precedent that injury=suspension? It most certainly has not. If that were the case, Weight would have been suspended for his hit on Sutter.

Had Colin Campbell stated that Kostopoulous was suspended for a hit from behind, I would have been fine with it. But he states that the suspension is not because of the hit, but because of the result. That’s crap. Dangerous territory.

42. gincognito says:

Seriously.
    Some of you guys need to take off the habs blinders.
    This sense of outrage and conspiracy is embarrassing.
    Pour yourselves a nice glass of single malt and take a few deep breaths.

d.

43. 130r says:

Can’t wait to hear the Toronto Sports Network’s spin on it.
    At least the Habs will get an acknowledgment of existence.

44. gincognito says:

That precedent has already been set. I don’t think it’s a secret that they take severity of injury into account when handing out the discipline.

Three games sounds okay to me. Could have been two, but whatever. Anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

;-)

45. habs haven says:

the NHL has always been anti habs! look at all the penalties the refs dole out to the habs. yeah it’s ok to hit Bergeron and he’s out for the season. then a nice player like Kostopoulos hits unintentionally Van Ryan, and he’s ONLY out for 1 month, and Kosto gets 3 games. damn the NHL. but look at the bright side. he’s not a top 9 forward. we can live without him for 3 games. If it’s Kovu or Tanguay then I’m really pissed. the habs better play 60 minutes tomorrow night and win, or else they’re just gutless with no heart, and don’t give a damn.

46. Robert L says:

They penalized the result rather than the intent. I guess with this the NHL has completely absolved a player’s responsibility to protect himself. The league is beyond a joke with this one!

47. karlito says:

wow…they really got some good spin doctors writing at the nhl.com site…hillarious

It will always be the Habs vs. the opposing team + the refs + the goal judge…in Toronto. Yet we have 24 cups and counting.

48. Nahlsy says:

Hollweg taking a big time run at Pietrangelo a few weeks ago. A repeat offender only gets one game for this? Colon Campbell (spelled that way intentionally) needs to be fired along with Buttman, this is GARBAGE!!!!!

49. Nahlsy says:

Doug Weight nearly killing Brandon Sutter a few weeks ago. Where’s the suspension for the injury on this blatant head shot Colon Campbell?????

I’m sorry but this is beyond BS that Kostopolous gets suspended when this crap goes unnoticed.

50. 130r says:

What a complete load of BS. “Chased him down”. Gimme a break. Makes this sound like the Bertuzzi/Moore incident.
    Absolutely agree this is punishing the result not the action. It was a bang bang play.I still say there is no way in the millisecond from the time Van Ryn turned his back to the hit there is no way TK could have pulled up. If he had he simply wouldn’t have been doing his job.
    I’m pissed.
    Living in the TO area I thought the entitlement had gone from the Leafs…maybe so but not from the league’s perspective.

51. deeps21 says:

the nhl is a joke, i’m sorry, if this happened against say, the Jackets, TK would get one game, but, cause it was on vs the Leafs on HNIC, he gets 3. Christ look what Randy Jones did to Bergeron last year, he got 2 games for that…and Patrice was out the whole year…sigh…

52. showey47 says:

didn’t randy jones only get 2 when he hit bergeron from behind and he missed most of last season. Or am i thinking of another flyer suspension? There were a bunch in philly last year so i may be mistaken.

53. BIG-D says:

I can’t find it………..

54. Jim M says:

Big-D

It has moved to page 3 because of additional posts.

55. BIG-D says:

I can’t even find page 1 Jim.

Could you please post the link?

Thanks

56. showey47 says:

both hits resulted into head injuries so both are actually the same. Not sure how they could say van ryn will be out for a month essentially one day after the hit. He will probably be back in 2 weeks and it is seen as a medical miracle in the eyes of cbc, tsn and laff nation.

57. HabsFan2 says:

Here you go Big D…

LaDePresse — Nov. 10 — Montreal, QUE

Asked to identify those deficiencies, Price was circumspect.

58. Number31 says:

Actually you can chew on this and tell me what you think about somewhat biased editorial reporting (over-exagerration is a “blood heap”). Time to crack down on the careless (Globe and Mail)
    I’ll also note that TSN reported half the story (one-sided: the Leafs side) while ESPN gave both sides with full quotes.

Another thing to note: Van Ryn was put THROUGH the glass by Lucic, in a hit from behind, just a few weeks ago. It would seem this unfortunate player had a date with destiny with the boards. Whether by Lucic, Kostopoulos, or on their trip West via Bertuzzi, Phaneuf, whoever. Carelessness isn’t just in the delivery of hits, it’s all around. And yes, call me paranoid, but ever since the Baby Leafs have been brought to light this season, it seems to me the NHL has pinned them as the darlings of the game and that we must all pity them somehow because they’re not “strong” and any act of breathing on them will result in a penalty or suspension. For the rest who get hurt, all they’ll says is “keep your head up, junior”. (Kostitsyn, Sutter, Carle……). So to me, it seems the League is picking it’s battles. I don’t recall such coverage or outrage when Bergeron was knocked out for the year.

Three games is fair enough I guess, despite no malicious intent and it wasn’t an obvious Hollweg-y cheapshot… He knows he did wrong but there really wasn’t any way he could have changed direction or stop on a dime in the millisecond that Van Ryn turned and bent over knowing full well who was coming in, and as the hypocrites in the league are planning to curb such hits, this is to be expected. Though I doubt they’ll ever fix it, they want the hits but don’t want the injuries and frankly you can rarely have one without the other. Jones got 2 when he hit Bergeron.

I’d also suggest everyone who hasn’t read it to check out Dryden’s book The Game. He has an entire chapter connected to the violence the League has allowed to get out of hand…

59. BIG-D says:

Thank God that was only “JOKE”…..

I just bought a Price Jersey………

60. WindsorHab-10 says:

Good for you Tom, taking responsibility for your actions, apologizing and wishing Van Ryn well. That’s a classy move that needs to be recognized.

61. Nahlsy says:

The same paper that reported the fictional article about Balsille wanting to buy the Habs? Have they been hiring reporters from the National Enquirer lately?

62. Number31 says:

Agreed. Half the players that do hits which bring about injuries of such never even say a word save for “it’s part of the game”… I still remember a grinning old Bobby Clarke defending a vicious hit that Downie threw (the 20 game suspension one).

63. WindsorHab-10 says:

Right as usual Timo. With the Leafs playing the Flames tomorrow, may be one of them can take care of that punk Grabovski.

64. RH says:

That woulda’ been pretty “Price-y” had he really left huh? I, personally, always get antsy about buying jerseys with names on it. Especially at the price they go for.

65. WindsorHab-10 says:

The NHL must introduce “no touch icing” soon before some players have a career-ending injury being hit from behind.

66. Nahlsy says:

Montreal loses the second game of the year and have the best record in the league. Somehow in spite of that, everyone’s going to hit the panic button and scream about how terrible they are now? I bet in ’76 they bitched when the Habs lost 8 whole games all year too, sheesh.

Basically they had 39 Pims to Toronto’s 12, they had a goal called back and lost 6-3 for a 1 game losing streak. Relax already.

67. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I guess you didn’t see the txt book KOMI hit he layed on TSLUTSKY…
    look in the photo’s section and you’ll find the komi you know.

68. Number31 says:

Hollweg would get an automatic suspension on such. He already received one this year, actually, because he has already done his trademark bonehead hit 2 or 3 times now. He’s marked, so there’s no arguement on that one.

69. Number31 says:

omg dude…it’s a JOKE written by someone, not Price himself…

70. RH says:

I agree with Damien Cox’s article, a few threads down. What was TK supposed to do? He was obviously anticipating that Van Ryn was going to keep moving along the boards towards the net. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen the Habs defensemen going to the boards, in a similar fashion to Van Ryn, and either position themselves to absorb the hit from the fore-checker or, try to side step the hit as much as possible and get to the puck quickly. Josh Gorges is one of those defensemen that I’ve always thought had eyes behind his head. He’s aware of his surroundings while he’s battling or trying to move the puck. Same with Markov, Komisarek et al.

71. Sakuismyhero says:

Kinda lowers my respect for Price to talk that way about his defensemen no matter how true that might be, I’d be offended if I were his teammate…

72. Nahlsy says:

Guess that brief panic is over now *eyes rolling*

73. Spider-Man NL says:

would someone please tell me why a guy like Ryan Earwig (who’s a repeat offender) gets one and two games at a time, and K-Top (who’s never done anything like this before and who’s not a dirty player) gets three games for a first time offence?

74. RetroMikey says:

Think about it. What if Ryan Hollweg of the Leafs hit Andre Markov the same way as Tom did and our guy was out for 4 weeks as well?
    What’s your call people? Should Ryan then be suspended?

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

75. Vid says:

Here’s a question.

Should any dangerous hit or play regardless of the circumstances committed by a player that causes the injured player to miss at least one game automatically result in a suspension?

76. RetroMikey says:

Yup!

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

77. madmat411 says:

so now here is the question: Where was the suspension when Andrei Kostitsyn was smashed into the board and knocked unconcious? I rest my case!

78. Habs2win says:

the bottom line is that our team needs more focus on defence. we can’t just play offence and forget about defence. The NBA Phoenix Suns tried run and gun without any defence and it didn’t work. All offence might be exciting, but ultimately it will only lead to our demise.
    Speaking of defencemen, is McLaren still available?

79. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

The problem is that not everyone agrees on the definition of a “dangerous hit or play”. Look how many people argued over the Sauer – AK incident. The league is supposed to define those words but are doing a shoddy job of it and showing a great deal of inconsistency with their judgments as a result.

80. Blitzen says:

I think a few guys need to get a message. Sit Komi for a game for example. Markov must be tired of playing with him. Komi has played horrible hockey since his injury last year but it usually gets covered up by Markov’s play.
    _____________________________________________________
    Mad Pax…Beyond Powerdome

81. Hockey11 says:

No penalty was called on the play, I rest MY case.

82. RiverviewCanadien says:

This is BS!!!

So now it is the injury that is punished not the action…wow, the NHL is doing a great F’n job
    Sauer’s hit was worse, plain and simple, and not even a penalty?

TK’s hit, how could he have stopped, Van Ryn is a pussy and did not want to get hit, so he turned, I guess he learned the hard way.

Too bad for Tom, this is not right…he should not have any games suspended

83. RetroMikey says:

Excellent comment Blitzen and I agree with you 100%
    Mike’s not the same guy after he came back.
    Where’s that Scott Stevens type of guy he’s supposed to be?
    I have yet to see that in him.
    I’m ore concerned that Andre Markov is loggin alot of minutes of ice time, that at one point in the season he will be physically exhausted.

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

84. Habs2win says:

well at least we have the Alouettes. who thinks the Als will be in the grey cup and win it?

85. Hockey11 says:

Again

The REFEREE did not call a penalty when AK was hit, TK had a major, a minor and a game ejection. That is the difference.

86. New says:

Three games is fair, mainly because you can’t take back what happened. To me it looked like the puck didn’t follow along where Van Ryn and Kosto thought it was going. Instinct turned Van Ryn back, and instinct committed Kostopoulos to that check.

Van Ryn is a good player and he wanted that puck. Kosto wanted to take the player and pop out the puck on the boards. The puck just didn’t skitter along like your eyes said it would. Puck goes, different story, shoulders into the boards, battle for the puck, good play.

Stuff happens.

87. New says:

Wasn’t much of a trial. You guys real lawyers?

88. Hockey11 says:

Thank you.

89. showey47 says:

had it been a leaf player getting hit a hab player from behind and a hab player butt ending toskala. There wouldn’t even be talk about the hit from behind anywhere other then here. Last time i checked butt ending was also a major penalty.

90. BIG-D says:

Some one in here read that Price said he wants out of Montreal.

Can some one please give me the english comments from Price cause I can’t read French……….

91. Jim M says:

Really? Do you remember Chris Pronger getting a one-game suspension for elbowing Holmstrom in the 2007 playoffs? Niedermayer got the penalty, but upon review, Pronger was revealed to be the culprit.

92. Jim M says:

You can read the satirical piece by Otter on page 2. Look for LaDePresse.

93. Mr Dobby says:

hit from behind vs hit to the head……..it’s different
    ____________________________
    Scott Dobby

We’ll Just Call It 25%

94. G-Man says:

Both players screwed up on the play. Van Ryn has a concussion + for stopping and turning when he clearly should have cleared the puck and kept skating. Kosto was on the forecheck and skating hard. When Van Ryn pivoted, he popped him too well. He should have eased up a little. Now, both players are paying the price.

Gilbert
    2008/09 is the season of the Habs

95. The M says:

someone give it too tsn and THN, they’ll have it on page one

96. HabsColor says:

TK is my hero!

Laraque’s heart seems not here yet; everybody knows why BG acquired him, then if he doesn’t want to do the police role, trade him (as a regular player, he is so and so).

From another point, I doubt how Carbo is treating Laraque???????????

97. Xtrahabsfan says:

Not all men created equal,ie: Wayne Gretzky was known to have unbelievable peripheral vision and what you are sudjesting is all athletes come from one mold,horsepoopy.Suppose Van Ryn wears contact lenses causing less peripheral or the Fact he’s Freeking Human and can make mistakes dose that mean he deserves to go to the Hospital, cause if that’s the case we all better live in one.

98. Habs2win says:

habs are 5th in the eastern conference, and SJ has the best record in the league.

99. BIG-D says:

I only paid $150 for mine……..

100. nightmare_49 says:

The St. Louis Blues : Fanny and Freddie Mortgage Saturdays – Fan Bailout Plan ….. The St. Louis Blues are responding to tight economic times with a fan bailout plan.

The team announced Monday that at every remaining Saturday home game beginning Nov. 29, the organization will call the seat number of a fan and pay that person’s mortgage or rent for four months, up to $4,000 total.

101. DD says:

This is objectivity ala a TSN Poll. Talk about a loaded question. Reminds me of another question that was once asked in a certain Province, by a certain Premiere, ah….but I digress……

“Is a three-game suspension for Tom Kostopoulos severe enough?”

Does this question make more sense?

Was the three-game suspension handed out by the NHL to Tom Kostopoulos warranted?

This whole scenario is a joke. Anyone who has ever played the game, and especially defense, knows that you are supposed to use the boards to help absorb a check. You do not, in any circumstance, turn your back, close your eyes and bite the pillow (sorry, I had to throw that in)

It’s too bad Van Ryn was injured on this play, but in my opinion, he is just as, if not more, responsible for this injury as Kostopoulos is. Tom K was only doing his job. If he doesn’t finish that check, as he does dozens of times each game, he might as well catch the next bus to Hamilton because solid fore-checking and hard hitting are part and parcel of his job description.

The NHL should change its name to the BSL.

102. nightmare_49 says:

I’ve been waiting all day for Dave’s Rant, lol.

103. DD says:

Sorry to keep you waiting so long, Bryan.

104. Mr.Hazard says:

No one is showing the post-game clip of Stajan on TSN saying “I know Kostopoulos a little bit, he’s a good guy, he plays the game properly. I think he just made a bad decision, and I’m sure he’ll learn from this one quickly”

Ex nihilo nihil fit

105. Nahlsy says:

Same Stajan that flopped around in the 3rd period like he was shot, pretending he was hit with a stick, then got back up when he saw no call on the dive and continued to ‘play’? Shame he didn’t get called for diving and fined for embarrassing himself as per the league rules but, we all know the rules don’t apply to Leafs (ask Grabovski and his buttend)

106. Sakuismyhero says:

ahhh thank god, sorry sorry sorry lol didnt read the fine print
    I was so surprised Carbo would let Price even say that kinda thing, lol

107. Number31 says:

T(oronto)S(ports)N(etwork)

108. JasonM says:

Serious question : Do you guys believe if Van Ryn wasn’t in a Leaf jersey the punishment wouldn’t have been 3 games?

109. SlovakHab says:

Poor Ron Wilson.. He is so worried about the safety of the players in the NHL.
    I really wished the reporters would have asked him – Hey, and what do you think about Ryan Hollweg – are the suspensions ge gets regularly severe enough?
    RW – “Well, you know, Ryan is a really great guy, he plays with an edge, but I bet he never wants to injure enybody. I’d say he never deserves the suspension.. In my opinion, he is one of the cleanest and fairest guys out there.”

..It is just so easy to hate the Leafs..

110. Habs2win says:

it’s a 2 game losing streak.

111. nightmare_49 says:

A Day in the Life of Peter Schaefer .. Stanley Cup of Chowder ….. http://stanleycupofchowder.blogspot.com/2008/11/day-in-life-of-peter-schaefer.html …………………………………… James Mirtle : Cherry’s Time as a Hab .. From The Rink via Eyes on the Prize ….. http://www.fromtherink.com/ …………………….. Brats in the Candy Store .. by Mike Chen ….. http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/mc/comments/brats_in_a_candy_store

112. Steve C. says:

maybe, but Stajan still gets kudos from me for having a respectful answer like that.

113. nightmare_49 says:

Gameday : Sens vs Habs .. by Chris Stevenson ….. http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2008/11/11/7368786-sun.html .. It’s Time to Wake Up, Jason .. by Don Brennen ….. http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2008/11/10/7358856-sun.html …………………………………………………. Wild Ride for Phillips .. by Don Brennen ….. http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2008/11/10/7358846-sun.html

114. Nahlsy says:

One was a tie with a shootout giving Columbus an extra point. Habs are one of only 2 teams in the league with only 2 losses and have by far the best record in the Eastern conference (contrary to the Rangers having more points with far more games played…. 10-2 is better than 11-20 for example even if 11-20 has 22 points)

115. Nahlsy says:

Check again, the Habs have a better record than any other team in the Eastern conference (you forgot to factor in the massive number of games in hand they own I am guessing)

SJ is a fraction ahead of the Habs upon review, Habs are at .750 while SJ is clicking in there at .813. The second best record in the East would belong to Boston and Buffalo at .679 right now.

116. Steve C. says:

they have already happened. Minnesota’s Kurtis Foster broke his femur last year. I don’t expect him to be back. Tony Granato almost got himself killed. It was a miracle he came back.

They always say “one day somebody’s gonna get hurt”

Isn’t one person, for example Kurtis Foster, a somebody???

117. Mr.Hazard says:

Aye, me too.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

118. Nahlsy says:

Check again, the NHL has had over 770 players diagnosed with concussions in the past 10 years, last year alone in North American hockey there were 300,000 concussions diagnosed, over 63,000 of those in High School hockey teams. Head hunting and flying elbows are a very serious offence that warrants very serious consideration but, they just turn their blind eyes to those brutal incidents in the past month?

119. m00ks says:

Has nothing to do with that. Sauer to Akost was NOT a flying elbow, watch it again before you get to conclusions. The league is cracking down on boarding calls and this one was on of them. As for the hits to the head, only recently is that issue creating a stir but boarding and hits from behind is actually in the rulebook and should be subject to punishment, accidental or not.

120. Nahlsy says:

There was an injury when Kostitsyn was knocked out too. The difference is Kostitsyn is a Hab and not a Leaf. Colin Campbell is as big a joke as Gary Bettman is. Doug Weight nearly killed young Sutter for not punishment, Chris Pronger nearly took Datsyuk’s head off with a flying elbow for no punishment, Sauer knocked Kostisyn out with a flying elbow for not even a 2 minute minor but, Van Ryn turns away from what would otherwise have been a clean hit and Kostpolous gets a suspension for Van Ryn’s mistake. The NHL is a joke.

121. m00ks says:

Well it’s not like they could have let him go scott free. There was an injury on the play and a punishment must be issued since the hit looked iffy. Imagine the outrage had Kostopoulos walk away with nothing.

122. HabsInBlood says:

Markhov’s on-ice awareness and vision would not put him in the position Van Ryn was in in the first place. It was the hesitation and slight against the grain turn back that did Van Ryn in. Part of the problem is players turn their back into an oncoming checker to protect the puck and/or draw a penalty. What are you supposed to do when you are moving in to finish a check and a guy pivots at the last minute so his numbers are in your face?

123. HabsFan2 says:

I have watched the replay, MANY times. It’s called, finishing one’s check!

If Markov was dumb enough to make the same play as Van Ryan did, not really. I was more pissed that Sauer got off scot free not only from the four blind linsemen, but from Laraque.

Code, schmode. Laraque should have kicked the crap out of Sauer!

Btw, dirty hit implies intent to injure. I believe TK had NO intent to hurt Van Ryan.

124. Hockey Socks says:

Watch the replay. You can make the argument that Van Ryn turned slightly, but nonetheless – Kostopoulos didn’t show any signs of letting up at all. He saw the numbers and crunched him. I’m sure you wouldn’t be saying the same thing if it was Markov getting his face broken.

125. Vid says:

I think 3 games is fair. As other posters have mentioned it’s the fact that other players (repeat offenders who’ve caused even more severe injuries with obvious intent to do so) have received comparatively light suspensions.

I find it odd that Tom is considered a repeat offender based on a previous fight…that simply doesn’t make sense. A fight is not the same as boarding. That does not point to a pattern of behavior.

126. Hoegarden says:

First of all, Van Ryn obviously did not pay much attention while attending hockey school as a kid.
    The replay shows him at 10 feet or so from the boards when he clearly looks behind him (good up to now), sees Tom and chooses to ignore him (his big mistake) by not protecting himself from the obvious impact about to take place.
    There is absolutely nothing “dirty” about the way Tom finished his check and had Van Ryn acted properly, Tom may have ended up with a two minute call for boarding or charging or whatever.

127. RetroMikey says:

Easy to make a comment almost 48 hours since the game ended Bryan.
    It was a quick reaction by Van Ryn, just like driving a car and avoiding an animal crossing your path. What would your quick reaction be then?
    You wouldn’t know what to do in a split second as others and myself.
    Same goes in hockey with Van Ryn. A quick reaction by him.
    Tom had a few seconds to ease up, he knew he was wrong.
    By the way, Mike Van Ryn is a good hockey player.
    I would be more concerned to see how he is doing after suffering a mild concussion, a broken nose and some teeth lost from what I hear.
    How can you criticize the guy?
    Be fair. That’s what we teach our kids is to play fair and if you don’t see that todays players don’t respect one another, the NHL is headed for trouble.
    Tom called Mike to see how he’s doing. Now that’s what I call class in a gentleman. Respect in my books. How many players would go on air like Tom and express his emotions of the incident and feel remorse? Not many.

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

128. Mr.Hazard says:

Hall of Fame game
    HNIC game
    Toronto vs. Montreal
    Kids watching

None of these should affect the sentence, though they probably did.
    Wilson: Tom only weighs 200!!

Ex nihilo nihil fit

129. Axeman says:

I loved Wilson’s comments …. NOT!! Man, he should clean up his back yard before $hitting in some else’s. “The team should be penalized … play with 17 and 2″ … So, with Holliweg’s consectutive suspensions, that means the Loafs sould be playing with about 6 forwards, 2 defensemen, and 1 goaltender, right?

God, I HATE TORONTO!!!!!!

130. habs haven says:

I think we should alll be more concerned about our team’s play and the remarks made by Price. sounds like the kid really wants out. I sincerely wonder if this team has what it takes to win consistently, and I wouldn’t be shocked if we turn back into the team of 2 years ago. Maybe we’re a cinderella team, now going back into our rags. last year was a fluke! these are the REAL HABS! a bunch of very lazy euros who would rather sit and count their $$$. Euros(except Detroit) never win cups. When we get a legitimate defence, and north american kids, we’ll win the cup, but not until then!

131. HabsFan2 says:

“and the remarks made by Price. sounds like the kid really wants out.”

I honestly hope your kidding. You don’t actually buy that do you?

I believe they call it, satire.

“When we get a legitimate defence, and north american kids, we’ll win the cup, but not until then!”

What do you call Price, Higgins, Komisarek, Tanguay, O’Byrne, Latendresse, Lapierre, Laraque, Begin…need I go on?

132. Moey says:

Ummmmm..habs haven? The Price remarks are just a joke, check out the top left of the post (laDepresse). You gotta know Carey would never say those things to the media.

133. Jim M says:

Habs haven

Is the sky blue in your world, or is it always bloody raining? You should change your name to Prophet of Doom and Gloom. I have rarely seen you post one positive comment yet.

134. Aybara says:

Where exactly can I hear these comments from Price?

135. Mr.Hazard says:

“We have criteria we use when we look at these hits. … It wasn’t a hit to the head. It resulted in a check from behind, which is not legal, and then his head hit the glass. It wasn’t late. He (Van Ryn) wasn’t unsuspecting. He knew there was a forechecker coming. He had the puck, he expected to be played. He started to reverse direction to evade the forechecker and that’s when the hit happened. There was an injury to the player, and the player didn’t leave his skates, he didn’t jump into him.”

-NHL Senior Vice President, Hockey Operations Mike Murphy
    At least I agree with that.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

136. Mattee. says:

Um a little confused here. Not that 3 games is too much or anything, hell, 5 games wouldn’t be too much. But, if the basis for this 3 game suspension is that Van Ryn is out a month, then shouldn’t have Randy Jones had like a 27 game suspension considering he put Bergeron out for a whole season? It seemed to me that both hits were practically identical (this is me trying to be as unbiased as possible – clearly, the jones hit was 5 times worse) and yet Kosto pays the heavier price. Help me out here.

PS: The 1 game fighting suspension should not factor in AT ALL, it does not say anything about Kostopolous. Repeat Offender? Are you kidding me?!

137. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

Any news or commentary on Carbo’s or Gainey’s reaction? They probably won’t let on, but they must be fuming with this one in light of AK’s incident last month.

138. The Teacher says:

No they probably aren’t, because the hit on Andrei was not dirty and the hit on Van Ryn was.

Dirty meaning illegal, nothing malicious, don’t get me wrong here.

My suggested overtime format and other sports talk

139. JasonM says:

Carbo said he’ll be appealing it.

Especially since Campbell stated that the judgement was heavily based on the injury and not the action itself as the Leaf player should have and could have protected himself better. This whole situation is hypocritical.

“Bien que j’aie déterminé que Kostopoulos n’ait pas donné une mise en échec à un joueur qui ne s’y attendait pas, son geste a causé des blessures”, a expliqué Campbell.”

The above quote conveniently cut off the TSN report, of course.

140. Mr.Hazard says:

hahahaha

Ex nihilo nihil fit

141. HabsFan2 says:

More scary than hilarious.

142. habs haven says:

I call O’Byrne, Latalentless, Begin, Laraque-garbage players who won’t be here next year!

143. HabsFan2 says:

That’s your opinion. That still doesn’t change the fact they’re North American kids.

144. jimbo82 says:

Absolutely right man i don’t know where you got Price wants out from. Especially when he has become great friends with most of the guys in the on the team. And this idea of north american kids needed to win cup is getting a bit ridiculous.

go habs go!

145. JIMVINNY says:

Campbell himself said that the check wasn’t the problem, but the injuries caused were. Looking at both hits objectively, a player left himself vulnerable, and paid for it. I think the difference was that Sauer displayed intent, while TK did not. How one deserved a three game suspension and one got nothing, i’ll never understand.

146. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

Well Teach, we’ll agree to disagree. I’ve read all your posts on the two hits and I disagree with your view. Whatever, eh!

Nevertheless, Colin Campbell’s words should be sharply scrutinized for being hypocritical and biased. If this is how judgments are made, then the league has gone to pot… ( and i don’t mean the kind we inhale or don’t inhale!)

147. habs haven says:

maybe he should, because it’s true.

148. HabsFan2 says:

“Tom had a few seconds to ease up, he knew he was wrong.”

Well Tom seems to disagree with your assessment…”I was just trying to get in on the forecheck and get the puck. I didn’t anticipate him turning and couldn’t stop.

149. Devin_G7 says:

I feel bad for kostopoulos for even being in that situation. What is he really supposed to do? Was he just supposed to skate by van ryn at the last second? that would make it look like van ryn deked kosto out of his jock. Obviously the right thing to do in retrospect is to let van ryn go, but if i saw kosto pass up a chance to finish his check, that would come across as kosto not doing his job on the 4th line as an energy player… and with the habs roster, not finishing your plays can lose kosto his spot on the roster. So it really was a tough situation for kostopoulos, and probly a lose lose situation either way. Also, when it all happens within a split second, people are gunna make the wrong decisions. Tough break

150. habs haven says:

shhhhhh! you’re ignorance is showing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

151. ebk says:

I hate the grammar police but seriously before you accuse someone else of showing their ignorance, you might want to get “you’re” and “your” straighten out first.

152. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

If you’re going to be like that, then you should have used proper punctuation! There goes the pot calling the kettle black. Oh, and did I mention the incorrect tense for the verb “straighten”?

Seriously!!!

153. ebk says:

it was a joke, lightning up a little.

154. Jim M says:

habs haven

You know, I actually prefer a childish remark directed at me than your usual garbage about the Habs. This suits your intellect much more.

Earl – Looks like it’s going to be one of those nights. The flood-gates have now opened after a two game losing streak and a suspension to TTB. I’m off to watch the Golf Channel:-)

Going For The Brass Ring – 25 Cups In 100 Years

156. RetroMikey says:

ebk and 24 Cups
    I’m going to walk my Lab Sonny (he doesn’t like anything put on his head like yours 24 Cups) and I am looking forward to the game tomorrow night against Ottawa to see if they will bounce back.
    Hopfully the 70 minute session with Carbonneau and staff woke them up.
    We can’t take teams lightly anymore.
    The media labelling our Habs as finishing first in the Eastern Conference has gotten to their head in my opinion along with these Centennial festivities.
    Still the season is early.
    Remember our bet Earl!

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

157. ebk says:

lets make that sucker a little bigger Mikey, winner drinks for free at the next summit. Or better yet, Kerley pays for both of us!

158. Jim M says:

A

Go to page 2 and read LaDePresse.

159. spirit of the Habs says:

Too much

Canadas Team, Gods Team You name it The Habs are it

160. JIMVINNY says:

The fact that Tom received a suspension worse than what Hollweg got is a bloody travesty. How can a first offence guy get more than a repeat offender?

The NHL had to send two messages with this suspension. First, don’t hit from behind. Second, don’t turn your back to an on-coming hit. I don’t know that either message will be received, as their sense of justice is a skewed as their sense of equality.

161. Hockey Socks says:

Not too much. 3 games is reasonable for a dirty hit. What I object to is seeing guys like Hollweg who have a history and make premeditated dirty hits get the same punishment. Hollweg’s last suspension should’ve kept him out a quarter-season.

162. HabsFan2 says:

Yeah, too bad it wasn’t a dirty hit.

163. Gary320 says:

I dont have a problem with it.. I just hoep that they can stay consistent.. Hits like this = 3matches. MAKE IT A RULE.

164. Mr.Hazard says:

Too much. Based on injury.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

165. karlito says:

The NHL is a joke………..am i the only one that is still waiting for a suspension to Sauer? I am ridiculed that he got 3 games…3!! If this happened 3 wks ago Kostopoulos doesn’t even get a penalty.

There is no justice in the nhl, as our buddy said Hollweg got 1 game and he basically went up to a guy who had his back to him the whole time. Some consistency PLZ!!