Video: Price earns NHL’s top honour

Canadiens’ Carey Price robs Hurricanes’ Chad LaRose Saturday night. John Kenney, The Gazette

• See John Kenney’s audio/video slideshow of The Save here

Canadiens goaltender Carey Price was named the NHL’s first star of the week. Price won all three of his starts last week, allowing only three goals and posting a 2-0 shutout over the Vancouver Canucks.

Price posted a goals-against average of 1.00 with a .970 save percentage as the Canadiens (11-5-1) widened their lead in the Northeast Division to four points.

The Canadiens goaltender improved to 10-5-1 with a 2.18 GAA with a .923 save percentage and two shutouts in 16 appearances this season.

Penguins’ Sidney Crosby and the Capitals’ Alexander Semin were the second and third stars.

1. citizenSanto says:

not to mention hackneyed.

—————————————

Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are.
    — Augustine of Hippo

2. VancouverHab says:

Don has been an unremitting booster of Carey Price since Juniors.

3. VancouverHab says:

Uhhm….It’s called a ‘cliché’….

4. habinypsi says:

Plus their backup west team the flames haven’t been that good either.

Ah, I get it. Maybe a little second thought here. It is not a bad idea. If the extra minutes can be spread around the forwards I can see it working, as long as Plex doesn’t get burnt out. I still prefer rolling 4 lines.

6. Propwash says:

I read in Yahoo sports that PK called that save “disgusting”

7. habaddict_andy says:

That is a helluva metaphore.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

8. longtimehabsfan says:

Just had one last Wednesday.

9. drivefor25 says:

That would be cruelty to animals…the poor puppy wouldn’t stand a chance. On a happier note…way to go, Carey! Never doubted you.

Fan since ’71.

10. Mike D says:

In all fairness, those Cherry comments weren’t an insult to Price.  They were more so an insult at our fans for booing him and basically saying the kid won’t make any progress or reach his potential with the added pressure of being boo’ed at home.  He was essentially saying that Price won’t be able to find success with Montreal fans being down his throat for every goal he lets in (which did happen).  Had Carey not shown the tremendous growth he has – which is an AMAZING accomplishment considering a lot of fans disliked him even more after Halak got traded and worthy of more credit than words justify – Don’s comments may have just been 100% correct.  If Carey hadn’t got off to such a solid start to the season, who knows where his game/head might be right now.  Thank God it went the other way!

I’m not a fan of Don’s cuz he has definitely spouted his share of negativity towards our team (as well as some undeserved positives about the Leafs), but the comments you are speaking about are not at all a sleight on our ‘tender.

To be honest, Don has been a promoter of Price every time he mentions him (at least that I can remember).

– Honestly yours

11. habfan53 says:

Exactly what I posted a couple of hours ago. It makes the most sense. It does look like we are in a panic whuch we are not. ANNND we can evaluate our young talent.

12. krob1000 says:

I don’t think I made myself clear…I DO NOT WANT THE 7TH DMAN PLAYING FORWARD (there…that is pretty clear lol).  We have Lapierre, Pyatt, Cammi, all capable of playing center occasionally…we have Pleks, Halpern, Eller and Gomez who are all two way responsible centers….what I am saying is that one of those guys can fill in and play with the other two guys…..no DMAN forwards…just 7 dmen.   We have a young team up front..on the back end…quite the opposite. We have plenty of natural centers and guys that can collectively eat the minutes.  I don’t see enough dmen to split the minutes amongst as Spatch, Hammer and Gill are all a little long in the tooth and may benefit from the reduced minutes….Picard is just coming from the pressbox …the forwards , some of whom may not get enough time as it is could use them…I think that is where the extra time should go…I don’t see how it doesn’t benefit the team honestly.

13. krob1000 says:

IF Jay Bouwmeester, Mark Streit, a dinosaur aged Scott Niedermayer last year, Joni Pitkanen,etc …can ll play more than 25 minutes a game..so can PK Subban.

If that’s the case I would think Weber should’ve been playing part-time as a forward in Hamilton as a 7th D to get some practice for the role. I am not so sure I like that though. I am a firm believer in rolling four lines and having 3 pairs of defensemen. I would prefer bringing some-one up and platooning Hammer and Spacek, to give them a rest every so often.

15. careyprice says:

Way to go Carey! Great week for Price, well deserved.

16. Hobie Hansen says:

Price is absolutely spectacular! I think all the haters who bashed him should choose a new team now! Well, maybe we’ll forgive you and Red Fisher. Everybody makes mistakes.

17. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

UGHHHH I just read Todd’s article to see what all the fuss was about….makes me wanna retch. Todd “knew” Price would have a GOOD YEAR????? and I see that now that Price is no longer an easy target he has shifted to shitting on Johnathan Duhamel. Jack Todd should get a puppy so he can kick it every morning to get his emotions in check before heading off to work. What a dirtbag.

“When I was a baby I wish my first word had been “QUOTE”, then right before I die I could say “UNQUOTE” – Stephen Wright

18. Storm Man says:

What is his deal with calling the Auburn Tigers zeros? Guess Todd the jack… missed watching the game Saturday.

19. ManApart says:

Agreed 100%. Make poker a zero then, but don’t bash Duhamel. He did an amazing thing.

20. habs365 says:

congrats to carey, star of the week….you’re #1

21. TommyB says:

Good post, krob.  I agree.  Go with seven D.  Don’t want to gas Spacek and Hammer this early in the season.  Use PK a little more, as well.

22. DearyLeary says:

Yeah, right after the save.  PK said something and Pricey giggled!

23. habs33 says:

Stubbs, Hickey, Boone, Mio and Hackel

Time for a podcast soon? Je pense, oui!

GO HABS GO!

24. sholi2000.com says:

It is fun to watch.  He’s Leaf/Ontario Lover and it’s almost impossible find anything nice to say about either.

They Call Me Shane

25. TommyB says:

Actually, proved both your point and mine as well 😉   And holy smokes, that Platonic guy is unreal, eh!  What’s that name SeriousFan09 uses?  Dan Chorra?  Yeah, Dan Chorra.  Where would HNIC be without him?

26. CBrady12 says:

Well obviously, gambling addiction is a very serious problem for many people but like you said it has nothing to do with Duhamel, and therefore Todd has no reason to write that paragraph nor put him in his zeros of the week…That was my point

27. krob1000 says:

looks more like during the Larose save …

28. sholi2000.com says:

Great Job Canadiens

Bring on those nasty Flyers!

They Call Me Shane

29. krob1000 says:

I would really like us to dress a 7th dman…I don’t think Gill, Spatchand Hammer can effectively eat the minutes ging to be expected…I wold prefer it if we went 7 d….since our centers and many of our other forwards are all capable two way guys they can fill in periodically and double shift here and there….this way we don’t see 20 minutes a game of HAl Gill, he can be used in situations he is most effecitve…same for Spatch and Hammer…they can match against top units bt get rest in between.

30. Bryan says:

Sure was

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

31. CBrady12 says:

You just proved my point…thanks

32. CBrady12 says:

Well that it, hes probably just killing two birds with one stone…Choose at least ONE player on the Habs to compliment, while at the same time shit on the fan base…

33. TommyB says:

You are correct, mostly.  Cherry has supported Price in the past, but how much of that was genuine support for Price, and how much was an opprtunity to take shots at Montreal and it’s fans (since many Habs fans were not treating Price very kindly at the time)?  I don’t know.  Perhaps it was, and is, genuine support, but I’m hard to convince when it comes to Cherry.

34. helluva habs fan says:

Not much of a Jack Todd fan, but he had a great line about Price: “You have to go through the fire if you want to turn into tempered steel.”

35. Say Ash says:

Was that right after the LaRose save?

36. DearyLeary says:

O Rly?

He might be a booster, but he certainly didn’t want to see Price succeed in Montreal.

37. ManApart says:

I don’t know, I get his point, even though it has nothing to do with Duhamel. I’m a very serious poker player myself and do well enough to be able to come on here and talk all afternoon (shhhh, taxman will hear lol). A large part of poker is skill, but it takes a lot of work, patience, discipine and self control to become good enough to be a profit player. i’ve seen many, many young guys, think they know what’s up by watching a few TV tournaments and lose a lot of money real fast. A lot more than the ones who become profit players.

38. fuhgawz says:
    A shining star during his draft year.
    Praised to death
    Acted like ass
    Fell from grace
    Supplanted by a playoff hero and great goalie
    Booed by more fans then show up for Thrasher games
    Started a season facing more pressure then anyone in the entire league
    Playing like the kid who enjoyed the game and the reason he was drafted

Sweet justice for the man.  now he has to keep it going.
  39. CBrady12 says:

My thoughts exactly…NO NO it’s not the fault of the person who gambles all of his money away, nor is it the government and corporations who shove gambling ads down our throat every 5 minutes, it’s the fault of a 23 year old who just won the biggest prize in a SKILL game

40. CBrady12 says:

Actually, Cherry has always been a fan of Price and has pumped his tires on several occasion…But I agree with everything you said

41. rocketsglare says:

Well deserved honor. Here’s to many more.

42. TommyB says:

How can anyone not be very happy for Price right now?  Well deserved recognition.  Of course, there are those who are not quite so pleased.  Don Cherry being one of them.  When they showed video of Price Saturday night, after the laffs loss, Cherry quickly tried to brush it aside and snidely referred to Price, or the Habs, or the Habs fans, as “frontrunners now”.  It was not meant as a compliment.  I have begun to really enjoy watching Cherry, and the puppet sitting on his knee (Maclean) this year.  It’s actually tons of fun to watch them struggle to try to find something positive about the laffs game, while downplaying anything Montreal has achieved.  It used to annoy me, but now I realize just how much it irks those two jackasses.  So it’s turned into just plain fun.

43. shiram says:

Wow talk about out-dated values and putting the blame on a kid for no reason.
    So Jonathan Duhamel is a zero because he won the WSOP and now that might inspire kids to try to poker? Well the poker thing has been popular for years now, so dont blame it on the kid!

And poker is not a sport, ok no one said it was?

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

44. CBrady12 says:

Is there a worse example for Canadian kids than Jonathan Duhamel, winner of the World Series of This-Is-Not-a-Sport Poker? Families hit by the gambling disease must cringe every time this guy’s name is mentioned. …

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Jack+Todd+Canadiens+pull+perfect+week/3828175/story.html#ixzz15NT39VjV

Pure Bullshit as usual…

45. ManApart says:

Why would he do that? Because it’s poker?

46. ManApart says:

Good for Price. He had a ton of pressure coming into the season, and so far has answered the bell and then some. Keep it up and take those bastard Flyers down. If he continues like this all year, even I can forget about the little Slovak being traded lol.

47. CBrady12 says:

Man I hate Jack Todd…Johnathan Duhamel achieves something no Canadian ever has, winning the World Series of Poker, and does it with class and was very humble throughout the whole thing, so much so that hes set to donate $100,000 to the Canadiens Childrens Foundation…yet TODD puts him in his Zeros of the week…If I saw this guy in the street I would punch him right in the Kisser…

48. SeriousFan09 says:

Fired for a terrible ownership and the continuing legacy of Mike Milbury, he’ll get more work later on, Scotty Bowman couldn’t make much out of that roster.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

The Islanders fire their head coach.

50. madcap_habsfan says:

Congrats Price! 😀 definetly well deserved

-“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.”

51. krob1000 says:

UPDATE ON MARKOV! http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=341350

It seems they have confirmed he is out next game……get that journalist an award already will ya!

52. matraque says:

Carey! Carey! Carey!

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

53. HABSsince92 says:

Way to go Carey! The first month and a hlaf has been awesome, let’s keep it going against Philly.

Been a Habs fan since I was in 2nd grade and sat behind Patrick Roy at the Aud.

54. Kooch7800 says:

Nice for Price.  he has earned it.

Anyone looking for a good read on Colin Campbell:

Not sure if someone has posted already but is pretty timely considering Avery didn’t get suspended for his sucker punch yesterday.  That is the kind of stuff that gives hockey a bad name.  He also didn’t get suspended for his ankle slash on Komisarek earlier this year.  That slash was worse than Cammy’s.

55. The Juice says:

Nice selections…anyone still think the West is the better conference??

56. habsfanonthewestcoast says:

Apparently, he doesn’t need anyone’s help to look like a clown.

57. SeriousFan09 says:

Well he had to BS something since Price is making him look like a clown.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

58. Mattyleg says:

Amazingness. Wayda go Pricey. Keep ‘er up after the All-Stiff break and we’ll be in clover.

Interesting to see that Markov’s injury is to his lower body.

Ahhhhh! And there I was, thinking it was his clavichord.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

59. habsfanonthewestcoast says:

and Jack Turd find a way to insult Habs fans again by saying we all wanted Saku out of town. What an idiot. And he’s getting paid to constantly write that crap.

60. CP31 says:

I wonder how many “tweets” Allan Walsh is getting as we speak?!?!?! LOL!!! I couldn’t help but add to it…………..I’m still waiting for my “you’ve been blocked by @walsha” tweet.

Attaboy CP!!

FROM SAKU TO GIO, SAME STATURE AND JUST AS MUCH HEART!! GREAT DECISION!!

61. Mikey_39 says:

I disagree.  It’s not just the team that’s playing better.  Price has taken his game to a ”whole nova level” that none of us have seen from him before.

62. nickster13 says:

sorry dude, its about making the big save at the big time, he didnt do that last year, but he’s doing it right now, and the players around him can see that too

63. Corio says:

Way to go Carey!  We knew you could do it bro!

64. avatar_58 says:

….Oh what, am I supposed to be surprised? Did you guys not see his games last year? Vs teams like the sharks? The difference is his team doesn’t fold in the last 10 minutes, which they did all the time last year.

As has been stated his save % and GAA isn’t that different. He’s always been a star.