Video: Postgame Pacioretty, Gorges, Subban

Max Pacioretty

Max Pacioretty returned to game action Wednesday at the Bell Centre, his first game since he was severely injured last March 8. So too did Josh Gorges, on his reconstructed knee. P.K. Subban? Fully healthy, it seemed, despite his lower-body troubles this training camp. All met a group of reporters, including HIO’s Mike Boone, following the 3-1 exhibition loss to the Buffalo Sabres.

1. Love Gorges reaction on Beaulieu, he was speechless.

Looking forward to the next game. Hopefully tomorrows game is broadcast somewhere yet I won’t hold my breath. At least there is old school radio broadcasts.

Time for some old school Sega Genesis Gaming today; shining force II here I come.

2. Mats Naslund says:

Lots of information to take from last night’s game for sure. I find that its a waste of time to watch a preseason game as you would a regular season game. You have to dissect it – looking at specific parts working together in certain situations in order to get a feel for whether things are going good or bad. .

One great example is the work done by Desharnais and Pacioretty together. They clearly showed they still have chemistry. Specifically Desharnais’ pass across his body to a wide open #67 at the side of the net was a thing of beauty. Goals will follow – that is for sure.

Not much more can be said about Beaulieu.. He was a beast and will only get better as he learns the defensive side of the game over the next year or two. You could see his comfort level rising as the game went along. I would cautioni those who feel that he’s ready for the NHL at 18 years old though. He’s fantastic – and will be for one more season in junior – where he’ll play at the WJC. You only need to look at PK Subban to see why that is such a good idea, though Beaulieu is admittedly more developed than PK at that age.

I thought Josh Gorges did well to get into the game and try to get his timing back. There were times when I thought he left himself out of position, but that will come back with playing a few more games.

There has been a lot of talk about who will be the extra defenseman if Markov is unable to start the season – one guy who hasn’t gotten a lot of support is Alex Henry. Martin may like his “veteran” presence in the lineup. He’s slow, but he’s solid. He’s also a good policeman to have on the ice. Last night he had a pretty strong (and unspectacular) game.

Brendan Gallagher showed why he’s scored so many goals in junior last night. He is still easily seperated by the puck, but he showed some elite level puck handling skills during stretches of the game, and a willingness to take the physical toll that is required to score goals as a smaller NHLer.

I was largely unimpressed by Pulashaj, DeSimone, Enqvist, Spacek and Bishop – but its the first preseason game for most of those guys so no reason to get worked up.

• shiram says:

What I got from last night is that Beaulieu might be playing in the NHL if he was on a weaker team, pretty impressive. Really liked that Martin let him play so much.

Gorges was playing more of an offence game last night, he was on the powerplay so that might be why he looked a little off, still physically he looked great.

Henry never got his chance, and I doubt he would this season, considering all the new additions to the D the team has made, but I also feel he could eat some minutes on a bottom pairing. Maybe JM will surprise us?

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• SeriousFan09 says:

Beaulieu’s skating stood out to me, I had heard he was a very good skater but he was holding pace with NHL players towards the end of the game, a highly encouraging sign. Wasn’t exactly freewheeling like PK but that level of skating in an 18-year old is quite impressive.

Was glad to see Gorges was back on his game as well, he’ll iron out the kinks in time for the regular season, but lord it will be nice having another guy who can reliably take 20+ minutes a night.

I don’t see Henry sticking, due to the depth chart and the fact that the organization loves him in Hamilton for what he does there.

Gallagher was a bit out of his element (needs to max out his strength/speed for this) but he didn’t let that slow him down, agreed. He is going to be a future Gionta down the line, but maybe with some Theo Fleury mixed in as well.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• Kooch7800 says:

Pulashaj really needs to step up his play. With players like Trotter raising the bar he needs to match it or he will never crack the habs line up other than the odd time when there are injuries

3. Neutral says:

up front I think we’ll hold our own, but on “D” some concerns
    big shoes to fill with the WIZ and Hamrlik gone.
    Markov will never be healthy, we’ll be lucky if he plays 20 games.
    Yemelin, who knows how he’ll turn out maybe ok with some NHL experience under his belt if he’s a failure we’re in for a long year. on “D” other than PK not much to look forward to I sure hope this is not the way it goes down I’m looking forward to a good year from this team, hope I don’t sound to grim but we have to face facts….

4. HabFanSince72 says:

If Gomez and Eller don’t start the season who will be our centres?

5. rhino514 says:

me too. What incredible character on this team. It´s a team that will always have a chance to go real deep in the playoffs.
    Feel bad that Saku´s teams couldn´t muster up this much character and that somehow this may have reflected badly on him.
    Is it just me or is it evident to everyone that Josh Gorges will be a future captain of this team? He has that maturity and leadership that is uncommon with guys his age. He should already have an A in my opinion.

6. thorandresson says:

what happened to Bournival? My guess is injured?

• savethepuck says:

He was on Team ‘C’ in the scrimmages, so I expect to possibly see him tomorrow night. A lot of guys in camp still haven’t played yet.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

7. Kooch7800 says:

I think Buffalo is going to be a problem this year. With their additions on Defense and Miller they will be a hard team to score against.

DD and Galager (sp?) looked great last night flying around.

What a boring game though…..major snooze fest

So good news on Max Pac and Gorges, seems to be that their rehab has gone well.

Am starting to wonder what the specific timeline is for Gomez and Eller.

Markov I suspect is going to be an unknown timeline for at least another 2-3 weeks. Hopefully the swelling is going down and they take their time on finishing this rehab.

9. Chrisadiens says:

I love this team. That is all.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.