Video: One more step as Habs clinch home ice

carey-room

Canadiens goalie Carey Price after his team’s 4-2 win in Winnipeg.
Stubbs video capture

The Canadiens’ 4-2 win over the Winnipeg Jets Thursday night at the MTS Centre has nailed down home-ice advantage for the first round of the NHL playoffs.

The quarterfinal round, against an opponent yet to be decided, will open at the Bell Centre on Tuesday then continue with Game 2 on Thursday before resuming in the opponent’s city presumably on Saturday for Hockey Night in Canada.

Canadiens players were satisfied but hardly celebratory in the dressing room after the game, grazing on pepperoni pizza as they slowly showered and got dressed for a late night charter flight that was taking them to Toronto for Saturday’s regular-season finale against the Maple Leafs.

Had the Canadiens lost Thursday, the Leafs win in Florida would have put home-ice for the first round at stake at the Air Canada Centre. Now, that pressure is off the Habs and they can focus on trying to finish ahead of the Boston Bruins to claim No. 2 overall in the Eastern Conference behind the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Here’s some video, very raw, shot in a hurry in the dressing room.

Carey Price postgame:

Brendan Gallagher postgame:

P.K. Subban postgame:

1. Blondemon says:

Terrible sound quality, can barely hear anything, and the cellphone or whatever that was buzzing during Price’s interview.

***Drive for 25***

2. Snapper7 says:

Well…baby steps. The last 1.5 games have shown that the Habs haven’t completely forgotten the recipe for what proved successful for them this year. The third period, while I’ll admit there were a few lucky goals, showed way more urgency than we’ve been seeing lately. Lots of battles won for loose pucks, etc.

Boullion has been brutal lately…really bad. Desharnais has truly lost his game. He can’t even make a simple pass these days and he always gives up possession when we’re on the pp. We’ve got to take him off the pp…it’s killing us. The kids are playing well for sure – at least the effort is there. But isn’t it concerning that we’re not seeing some of the veterans showing the kind of effort that is required at this time of year? It shouldn’t be the rookies who are leading the charge. Great to see Carey get back to his dominant self. Prust needs to rest to heal up.

If my math is correct, any kind of win in TO matched with any Boston regulation loss out of their next two gets us first in the NE. I’m pretty sure we’d win the tiebreak (is it head to head record after ROW?)

GO HABS GO!

Win with class…

• Dave Jones says:

Believe so. I’d love it if the Habs could grab the division. But I have no idea who I’d want them to play. Both NY teams have played well down the stretch. Ottawa has Karlson back. The Leafs have handled us this season. We’re in tough regardless. Should be a great playoff year for the league.

3. Mick says:

I want to play the Leafs.
    We win in 7 and shut the F……. CBC up.
    Go Habs!

4. rhino514 says:

I agree there are no easy match ups this year in the first round. But i wouldn´t want face the Sens. Up until last night i was pulling for the habs to win the division, but if we do that and Ottawa wins its last two games we would have to play them.
    I think our best chance would be the isles, but we run the risk of meeting the sens if we try to pull that off.
    I would say next best option is play the leafs.
    No one knows which canadiens will show up, but if it comes down to pure talent and playoff experience, and the team keeps its emotions in check and stays disciplined, letting the leafs parade to the box, we have enough ammunition to beat the leafs.
    Reimer in my mind is the x-factor; he doesn´t have playoff experience, but he seems to relish playing against the habs.

I could very well understand if the habs DON´T want to be the leafs; or another intereresting scenario would be for us to go to overtime; this ensures the sens can´t finish fourth, and we still have a shot at winning the division.
    But i bet all of you they won´t be so “motivated” to win.

5. at least Tinordi hit someone coming across the blueline on occasion. Boullion was terrible on both goals against. Maybe he needs a long rest as well. The leafs won’t be half as bad to match up against if we would be able to overcome the recent jinx we endure every time we play them.

6. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

I’m pissed because the Habs are still useless; they were lucky to win against the demoralized Jets. Why does Price swim around in the crease? They’re in the playoffs but will get blown out in 4 if they play the Leafs and they will miss out on a great crop of about 10-12 kids in the draft. I’d rather not be in the playoffs and draft high than get in and get humiliated.

• MauriceMaxwell says:

It baffles me why anybody would be pissed. Yes the D is soft and a long run may not happen this year. We’ve overachieved a bit this year but the future is bright and we are way ahead of schedule in terms of the development with our young guns. We will be competitive for years to come so chill out.

OLE OLE OLE OLE!

7. Frank2468 says:

Now what to do for Saturday night? Do the Habs go full out for a win, or do they rest some key players? Namely Markov, Pk, Price and maybe Prust cause his shoulder could still be bugging him? It’s hard to tell but some of the guys do need a little down time. Markov seems to make mental mistakes and sometimes when Pk and Markov are out there, their passes are off they sometimes make wrong decision with the puck. Frankie really needs rest or his age is catching up with him. Tinordi played really well tonight, as did Price. So did Galley but then again he brings it every night. Glad to see Moen in the press box. I think M.T told him while he was in the press box his assignment was to Check for paint chips on the wall. See how I got the word check in there. lol Anyway hope no one blows up at me for the thought of resting key players Saturday night. Also I think Toronto would love the opportunity to hurt Markov as they always seem to do. Cause once the playoffs start taking runs at guys won’t happen much since so much is on the line. And taking stupid penalty’s can cost you dearly. So Toronto’s chance is Saturday.

• D Mex says:

Believe Gaston Therrien suggested on l’AC tonight they will rest key players – according to him, it’s about being prepared to go the distance once playoffs start, and they are better prepared for that by resting Prust and other important players.
      He also suggested Moen will play in lieu of an injured player.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

8. Sportfan says:

Habs Vs Rangers, Sens, or Bruins would be great series. Yes the Bruins we play much better against them then the Maple Morons so any of those three I’m okay with. All in all glad the Habs got home ice!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• savethepuck says:

Habs Bruins can’t meet in 1st round. Both teams guarantee 2nd or 4th now.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• D Mex says:

Agree Habs have competed well vs Broons this season, not so vs Laffs (stating the obvious).
      I think the game Saturday will provide insight into how they will play next Tuesday at the Bell – hopefully, focused and primed – regardless of opponent.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

9. icky pop says:

I can’t wait to see tinordi in front of price in two-three years. He was great tonight. I loved it when we picked him.

10. habs001 says:

The Habs d still look very vulnerable…The Jets pp one of the worst the league

11. habs001 says:

Habs can only play Ottawa if they win the division and Ottawa finishes 7th.

12. commandant says:

Also for those still awake, if you want to see a replay of the Canada/Czech game from the U18, its on TSN2 right now.

Three Words you need to know….

Connor McDavid, PHENOM

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Just A Guy says:

I was talking with my brother about McDavid, noticed him while I was keeping track of Galchenyuk in the OHL, was a ppg rookie at… I’m almost sure 15 years old, but probably 16.

• commandant says:

He was 15 to start the season… turned 16 in January. Was granted “exceptional player” status to enter the OHL early.

This kid is unreal. Seriously, better than Tavares at the same age, who also entered the OHL as an Exceptional Player.

If McDavid continues down this path, he’s Sidney Crosby caliber.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• savethepuck says:

How does he compare to Sid at the same age?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• commandant says:

Sid was playing for Shattuck St. Mary’s at the same age, so I don’t know. Didn’t see high school games, even the legendary Shattuck St. Mary’s.

The tale will be next year for McD vs Sid’s first year in the QMJHL.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• HabsTrueBlue says:

He is not seriously better than Tavares at the same age. I don’t even know if he is better let alone “seriously” better than Tavares was in his first year. Tavares was still 15 at the END of his first year and Tavares had noticeably better stats.

Would love to see Habs somehow end up with McDavid though.

• habs001 says:

Watched him this afternoon…so the Habs need to win the cup a couple of times at least and than we can accept really tanking for the kids draft year..lol

13. commandant says:

This team played much better and Carey Price had his A game, coming up with a lot of big saves. This (coupled with the last 30 minutes vs Jersey) isn’t perfect, but it gives some very encouraging signs IMO.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• blu3chip says:

Yea, getting Price back on track was our top priority. We won’t get through 1st round without some solid goaltending.

Starting Budaj on Saturday may not be a bad idea though… I hate those funky Leafs games…

14. habstrinifan says:

Blah blah! Blah blah blah blah blah!

We win a game against a team which was kicking our butt until they found out, mid 2nd period, that they were outta the playoffs.

Blah blah blah blah blah. MT’s a one word quotable genius(Stubbs) and MB a wizard and the HABS are all awesome.

• Dr.Rex says:

All I heard was Blah blah blah.

• Obrand says:

Not sure which game you were watching, but we have far different opinions on it. Firstly, I don’t think the Jets were “kicking our butts” until halfway through the game when they found out they were out. I think the Habs had their forecheck going all night long which is something that brought them success up until this late-season slump hit. I also think Price was as sharp as he’s been and bailed an ailing defence out on several occasions. The team is one or two Pacioretty net-crashing goals and one or two Plekanec set ups from being where they need to be. Onwards to Toronto and beyond.

• habstrinifan says:

“The team is one or two Pacioretty net-crashing goals and one or two Plekanec set ups from being where they need to be. Onwards to Toronto and beyond.”… as I said, blah blah blah blah blah!

Find me a) a recent vintage Pacioretty net-crashing goal
        b) a Plekanec set-up (recent or otherwise).

• Blondemon says:

When in a slump, any win is good, even the Tampa one we squeaked out. But last night, I would say we dominated. First win I think for the Habs this year trailing after 1 and after 2.

We scored 3 in the 3rd, first time since our 6-5 comeback shootout win vs Bruins.

Price was more than solid. Our PK and PP were good. We battled. Btw, Jets scored their 2-1 goal after the time you imagine the Jets took it easy.

***Drive for 25***

15. D Mex says:

Couple of questions about what Price is doing during games :
    1- Does he spend excessive time kneeling and / or moving laterally in the crease while on his knees during games ?
    2- Is this a style thing ? a confidence thing ? because his size allows it ?
    NOT looking for a $h!tstorm of criticism – I wonder about this when I watch him at work and, maybe more so with the recent rough patch.
    > Any Goalie coaches out there ?

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

• Trisomy 21 says:

I’m no expert but I do know Price has always done that, and is probably only standing out now because of his play as of late

• Da Hema says:

When Price is playing well, he stands tall and challenges shooters. When he isn’t playing well, he goes deep in his crease and drops. This dropping to his knees when the puck is behind the net is something he is doing recently. I am no goalie expert, but I see it as symptomatic of a goalie who has absolutely no confidence whatsoever. The Canadiens probably need to consider a different goalie coach for Price this off-season. Since the Canadiens can’t get rid of Price, they can replace Pierre Groulx.

• D Mex says:

CP isn’t going anywhere and that’s NOT why I ask :
          - I just don’t notice this as much with other goalies and wonder why that is.

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• Bill says:

Price does not stand-up when he is playing well. He is mainly a butterfly guy. I think this is a fact but I await correction.

Also, every goalie goes deep in their crease when they aren’t playing well.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• savethepuck says:

I’m sure if his goalie coach didn’t like it, he would steer him away from it. He has great lateral movement when on his knees, it covers the bottom of the net, and because he’s 6’3″, he has a lot of high shots covered too. Goaltending now seems to be covering the percentages and limiting the opposition’s choices. I think that’s why Groulx has him doing that.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• D Mex says:

Interesting.
        Do you see parallels between CP and other G-Men of similar stature in the league now ?
        Luongo strikes me as a possible comparable, but he doesn’t seem to face the puck from the kneeling position as much (caveat : I see him less and he plays less, altho that may change now with Schneider havng been injured)

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

16. Kooch7800 says:

Hopefully Boston tanks the last two and the habs win so Bruins vs leafs

17. blu3chip says: