UPDATED: Pacioretty video, morning skate update with Game 5 tonight

1max

Max Pacioretty speaks to the media after Saturday’s morning skate at TD Garden.
Stubbs video capture

The Canadiens and Boston Bruins held morning skates at TD Garden prior to tonight’s pivotal fifth game in their Eastern Conference semi-final, the series tied 2-2.

Canadiens forward Rene Bourque took a therapy session, missing his team’s morning skate. Bruins forward Milan Lucic did not take part in the Bruins’ session an hour earlier.

Some great stuff from first-line forward Max Pacioretty in video, nine minutes in length:

Two videos from the Bruins room following their skate:

Matt Fraser:

Daniel Paille:

Bruins coach Claude Julien’s media briefing after morning skate (I hope to add Michel Therrien’s remarks if they’re available):

On if the Game 4 checking style of play was an intention or if that is how it evolved…
It’s how it evolved. I think both teams know the importance of being good defensively. We have good
goaltending on both ends so the defensive part may have taken over last game. But at the same time, there has
been some scoring chances but both goaltenders have come up big so far.

On the job the coaching staff in Providence does giving players confidence…
Well I think they’ve done a great job in Providence, the coaching staff there. The one thing that has been
impressive is that the guys who have come up have just fit in seamlessly in to our team. I think the good part
about that is that both Butch [Bruce Cassidy] and his coaching staff and our coaching staff here seem to be
agreeing on the way that we need to play so there is a lot of similarities. They’re not forced to play the same
way but they believe in the same kind of things we do so it makes it a lot easier for players to come up and just
think about playing the game versus trying to do something different than what they have been doing the
whole time. So I give a lot of credit to those guys, they’ve done a wonderful job with the young players and a
lot of times those things go unnoticed but certainly not here. They deserve a lot of credit for the success that
we’ve had in sending players to fill in those holes.

On if there not being many penalties assists the team because of their physical style of play…
I don’t know, I mean, this series here might be a little different. We haven’t scored on a power play yet, we hit
a cross bar last game, we hit a post at some point, you have to look at all those different things. But we haven’t
scored, their power play has been good, so maybe people seem to think the advantage is to them if there are
more special team things. But overall, our special teams were fairly good this year. It just happens to be, as I
mentioned, in the playoffs it’s so important to be disciplined and both teams are trying to be disciplined. You
can say what you want, I have no complaints about the refereeing. In this series, I think they’ve done a
wonderful job of letting both teams play. So at the end of the night, for the most part, the better team has won.

On what he is doing right in terms of Max Pacioretty not scoring…
I don’t know. I can’t – again, that is their issue as far as I’m concerned. Our game plan is not about individuals,
it’s about our team and how we need to play so I can’t answer that question for you.

On if putting Dan Paille back with the fourth line organizes the team better…
Well, just those three together, they’ve been together forever so there is obviously chemistry there. There’s
better knowledge of each other so that’s certainly a plus. That’s just, I guess, a natural thing as far as that line
is concerned. There’s no doubt when Dan [Paille] is on that line they are a better line.

On what goes in to the decision to play Matt Bartkowski or Andrej Meszaros…
Not much I can say here. It’s just coaching decisions, you’ve heard me say that before. There’s not always a
rhyme or reason.

On if there is something good about the same guy being in there for several games in a row…
So far, it hasn’t made a difference. You want your players to be ready to play any time they are called upon.
That’s what playoff hockey is all about.

1. JUST ME says:

Pre-game coverage on radio is soooo weak in MTL it`s beyond words. On TSN you have the pathetic Connor McKenna on and in french you have Derek Aucoin former baseball pitcher nice guy but…It`s playoff time for pete`s sake !

2. scrotchland says:

well tonite is the big game. I really hoped habs would win the series but I really thought a bruins sweep. at least we won 2 games.
    I think bruins will win the next 2.
    murray should never have played. he makes rah rah georges look like lary robinson. another brain dead decision by therian.
    you can only play murray for so long before he messes up. the statue of limitations eventully catches up to you.

3. CranbrookEd says:

While I am still on board the express for a win tonight and ultimately in the series . . . here is a thought for next season . . . could we please have someone somewhere sit with MT and the rest of the coaching staff to have them alter their thoughts/ideas/approach to dealing with younger players. We need to have two or so every season who are being played in order to gain experience instead of using “seasoned” journeymen whose careers are at the end. It is obvious (well, at least to me) that you cannot expect many to simply step up from the AHL and then become seamless entrants into the NHL . . . they need the seasoning at the big level so that they can learn from their mistakes without fear of being banished.

CranbrookEd
    Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”! . . .

• JUST ME says:

I totally support M.T and his staff and how they delt with the kids because one individual does not need the same attention another one deserves.

Starting with P.K. the wild horse that sometimes jumps the fence, Bournival who technically is very aware of both sides of the ice,Gallagher who is a beast to others that are not ready for prime time yet. That is why you have a farm system cause not everybody makes it to the major and for their own good need to get used to the rythm and level of the NHL. Tinordi need to work on his consistency, Beaulieu on his D game and both are doing slow but steady progress but then again you need more time to develop in a major league D-man.

We needed those veterans and always will maybe not as much in the next years but the farm system is still weak so until our latest draft picks graduate…

4. WVHabsfan says:

Chive on! Chuck

5. Butterface says:

No worries everyone.

I just ordered and ate my Habs Pizza…. Hot peppers, Ananas and Beef (ground beef)

I will be watching the game from home….

All have led to wins this way.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

6. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

So are the refs actually gonna do their job and call penalties tonight? Not enforcing the rules and allowing most of the game to be played 5-on-5 directly favours the Bruins. It allows them to play outside of the rules without fear of taking penalties. During the regular season they were the best team in the league 5-on-5, with a +71 goal differential. Montreal was a -2.

Additionally, not making calls keeps both team’s powerplay off of the ice. Again, that favours Boston because they haven’t been able to score shorthanded against the Habs. However, Montreal has 4 goals.

First 2 games of the series: 23 penalties. Next 2? Just 5. Riiiiight….

X X X X X X 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• JF says:

I can’t help thinking that the refs are obeying orders. If you watch any other series, calls are made on obvious fouls. This has not been the case the last two games in our series, even though the play has arguably been dirtier than at the start of the series. The refs seem to have decided that we get one powerplay per game, while the Bruins get one or two. But if we were to score on our one, I’m almost willing to bet the B’s would be given a couple of extra ones – like in the last regular-season game we played against them.

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

The other drawback to the refs “puttin’ away the whistles and lettin’ ‘em play” it that they are essentially saying that it’s ok to hit someone even harder. My fear is that someone is going to get hurt badly, especially if one team takes a substantial lead.

X X X X X X 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• C-Sword says:

Great teams score goals at even strength. Powerplays are bonuses.

• ABHabsfan says:

If they are not going to call penalties they should forego off-sides as well.
      And icing. Actually just sit in the penalty box and come out for face-offs

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

7. JF says:

The two games the Bruins have won in this series have basically been because of lucky bounces. Without the weird bounce on Bergeron’s goal in Game two, the Habs might have won it. And the OT winner in Game four was even luckier. Whereas our victories have been by hockey plays. Maybe tonight the luck will go our way.

8. gumper says:

I’m wondering if the results of the current survey indicate that the enthusiasm for resigning Vanek on the part of the general commentariat has cooled somewhat.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

• JF says:

For the money and term he’s going to be asking, he has to contribute more than he’s done so far. Three goals, but all on the powerplay, plus the great pass to Plekanec for the first goal in Game three. He needs to make a difference at even strength, particularly since the officials seem to have decided to keep their whistles in their pockets.

9. adamkennelly says:

my hockey buddies are having a going away party for me tonight…starts at 5 CST – pool party..problem – I’m going to be glued to the TV..no other Habs fans in group – at least none of them like Boston or we’d have to throw down….

10. johnnylarue says:

I’m gonna take a page out of Pacioretty’s book and just focus on the things I can control for this game: namely, the volume setting on my television set, the amount of snacks and alcohol I consume, and, hopefully, my bladder.

11. BJ says:

USA 3 Switzerland 2 (had two goals called back in the third) and Thomas makes a game saving grab with 4 seconds left.

12. PuffNStuff says:

Montreal will never win anything with DD as the number one center, he might be fine during the regular season but when they going get tough he can’t cut it. I might say the same for Max he will get you the 30 plus goals during the season but the man is too soft for the hard slugging, what a waste of size and talent. I say take him and put his lil buddy DD in his pocket and package them for some true grit.

What the hell do I know anyways there are enough experts on this site that know it all.

• BJ says:

And who would that be?

• CranbrookEd says:

Agreed that little Davey is NOT a first line centre! While I feel that his role would best be served as a third line centre, as long as the consensus is that he and Max need to be thought of as conjoined twins who cannot be separated, then there will continue to be “this” issue . . . IF Max is so inflexible that he cannot adjust and adapt to another centre, then (and I am generally not a fan of Max) set him free by trading him to a team out west.

CranbrookEd
      Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”! . . .

• piper says:

Agree. I like Patch but would love to see him with a true first line centre and a power forward on the other wing.
        I think Galchenyuk will be the #1 centre but not sure where the power winger will come from.

• Loop_Garoo says:

He’s not playing the role of third line centre on this team, simply because is the best pure offensive centre on this team, and because of that, he will play on the first line until someone else unseats him.

• Bigdawg says:

Based on DD’s TOI, I’d say Therrien agrees with you as he is behind Pleks and therefore our #2.

Perhaps you want to say We will never win with Pleks as our #1 center
      OR
      Perhaps we will never win with DD as our #2 center
      OR
      we will never win with White as our #13 forward
      ….

13. C-Sword says:

So which free agent should we go after this summer? I’m not sure if this is new, but a friend of mine is friend with Matt Moulson’s uncle and he told him that Matt doesn’t want to play for Montreal. Paul Stastny and Ryan O’Reiley will probably get resigned. If the Kings does indeed buy out Mike Richards’ contract, I’m willing to give him a try, cause he’s a proven winner.

I really don’t see the Habs improving much as far as our forwards are concerned next season, especially via free agency. A trade has to be made, someone on the top 2 line has to go…

14. BJ says:

Game over Canada 4 Slovakia 1. Tough win with a lot of youth.

15. BJ says:

Ward scores his 2nd Canada 4-1 with one minute left.

3-1 Bieksa.

17. BJ says:

Bieksa makes it 3-1 with 2 minutes left.

18. BJ says:

Hodgson makes it 2-1 with 13 minutes left.

19. habfan100 says:

How much do you think Weaver would cost on a one year deal? I could see him getting a raise seeing his play on the Habs has been great. $1.5M?

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Possibly. I´d rather give Nygren or Pateryn a chance though.

• Habfan17 says:

I agree, but having Weaver and Drewiskie as depth players would be good. One leftie, one rightie! Boullion and Murray will probably be gone, possibly another traded!

Habfan17

• Timo says:

I think Habs should retain Weaver and Murray… The way Therrien’s been developing youth it is more likely than not that neither Tinordi nor Beaulieu will see regular action next season.

• Butterface says:

He should retain one…..thinking Weaver.

Tinordi will be good enough by next year’s playoffs…. Beaulieu will be ready by mid-season.

Nothing wrong with Therrien……yet. Done great work so far.

***********************
            If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
            ***********************

• habcertain says:

Problem is you keep the depth players they become regulars as MT won’t give the kids the ice time, in retrospect, we have wasted a year in this regard. Not much different than last year except Price has played lights out hockey this year which has elevated the team standings.

20. habsfan0 says:

Tuukka Rask 1-9 lifetime vs the Habs at TD Garden.
    1-10 has a nice,round sound to it.

21. BJ says:

Ward scores to tie it up with 2 minutes left in the 2nd.

22. Habitant in Surrey says:

I selected Dale Weiss as the most surprising, but Weaver is right with Him

…can’t go wrong with either

…Vanek is falling a tad short of My expectation for Him at this time …but that can be quickly cured by a hat-trick tonight :)

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

____________________________________________________

Mike Boone MARCH 25, 2014 AT 7:54 AM
    Finding every way to stir up sh.. is pretty much my job description.

Mike Boone
    Hockey Inside/Out blogger

____________________________________________________

…and, last, but not least: #bringbackourgirls

23. BJ says:

1-0 Slovaks on their 3rd consecutive PP. We do not look good……

24. Habcouver says:

If Prusty is in, who sits? I want to give Briere the opportunity to score the big goals but…

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

25. JUST ME says:

It`s a fabulous day in the ever so humble hockey mecca of the universe. Never thought we would ever see temperatures in the mid 20`s..Let`s just say that Montreal has not been the ultimate proof of global warming so far in 2014.

Max Pac sure wants to be part of the Habs recipe . Medias have been around him like mosquitoes and i wonder if he is not squeezing the hockey stick a bit too much. Anyway things will settle as they should tonight.This guy has shown many times over the years that he wants in, he is not scared ans will give everything he has for his teammates.

26. Maritime Ronn says:

@ Phil C

Mike Weaver was an absolute Gem Trade for a 5th round draft pick ( recouped, and better pick from the Islanders in the Vanek trade) and at cheap $1.1M Cap Hit.

Weaver is also the Habs Dman that has played the most PK minutes in the playoffs, and has made some great and outstanding plays including blocked shots….one that ended up on Briere’s stick, who passed it to Weise for a key game winning goal.

As you well know, a goaltender always has to be the best PK person on the ice, yet the Habs PK this playoffs has been at an NHL Playoff elite 86.7%.

The Bruins have not scored a PP goal in 8 chances – this from a team that had the 3rd best PP in the NHL during the regular season, and scored 6 goals on 16 chances against Detroit in the 1st Round.

Last year, with ‘Deer In The Headlights’ Diaz being the Habs Top PK minutes Dman – when the going got tough, he was literally destroyed and intimidated, while Carey was run and bumped with no push back.

Last year’s playoffs, the Habs PK was awful and a playoff team bottom rung.

The Mr. Corsi and Mr. Fenwick disciples always avoid chatting about that…

• Phil C says:

Good point about Diaz last year, the Habs had him playing top four minutes, which was asking too much of a player like Diaz, so the result is as you describe. Interesting that on paper, Diaz and Weaver have similar size stats but Weaver plays about 20 pounds heavier.

You make a good point about players like Diaz and how their corsi stats can not tell the whole story. Diaz has good corsi stats because that is how he needs to play to be successful. He needs to get to pucks first and push it up the ice with his passing skills. He needs to do this most of the time (ie positive corsi) because when he does lose the puck in his own end, he has problems. Diaz is an example of a player who is great with the puck, not so great without it. So his good corsi numbers don’t tell the whole story. That being said, he will be a useful player for someone next season with the right partner and in the right situations.

Murray is a very good defender without the puck. He plays smart positionally, reads the play well, blocks a lot of shots and can punish you with physical play. He is not strong with the puck so overall his corsi numbers will be poor. But even though the opposition is getting possession time against him, it’s not always dangerous opportunities that he is giving up. Again, the advanced stats do not paint an accurate picture of the player.

27. Dulljerk says:

It will be interesting to see if the Bruins can resist the urgings of their bloodlust fans tonight. I think they will play with much more of an edge and I look for them to really go after Subban. I got a funny feeling somebody will be taken out tonight due to injury. I expect a very tough game.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

28. Mr_MacDougall says:

Krejci jas been pressing and turning the puck over at the blue line but the puck was bouncing like a street hockey tennis ball last game.. I think with the ice being better in Boston, Eller and the boys pot a,couple on transition, Bourque and Gio light the lamp tonight, Patch ices it.. 3-1 Habs!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

29. BJ says:

End of 1 Canada 0 Slovaia 0. Canada 0-3 on the PP. They dominated the period but Scrivens does not inspire confidence in nets for Canada, he looks like a puppet with his strings out of control.

30. UKRAINIANhab says:

If the Habs lose this series, it will be because of themselves. Not the Bruins, not the refs (maybe), and not even because of the coach. It is one of those series that will leave the players shaking there heads if they lose… I still believe this series favours them. If they win tonight they take this in 6, if they lose it goes to 7 and we will see what happens. I like our chances.

• Habcouver says:

I agree. I like our chances, too. Was it Roy who said, “Why not us?”

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• New says:

I agree. The fate of the team is in the team’s hands. Has been for weeks. They showed enough good solid hockey that the excuses ran out. People will still rant about hot goaltenders, refs, luck, bounces, injuries, or as Max Smart used to say “Missed it by that much.” All excuses for a team who has shown they can play with anyone, if they want to bad enough.

Pretty sweet when you can look in the mirror and smile or sigh.

31. BJ says:

A bit of a war between Canada and Slovakia. Bieksa has just laid a huge hit on a Slovak player. canada going on their second PP. Seven minutes left in the first 0-0. I wonder if MB could offer up Gorges + for Bieksa?

• Phil C says:

I always thought he would be a good fit on the Habs. It would allow Emelin to move back to the left side. If they do a complete teardown in Vancouver, he might be available.

• BJ says:

We would have some serious hitting and mobile defensemen on all three pairings. PK-Markov/Bieksa-Emelin and Beaulieu-Tinordi (give them their chance next year).

• Rad says:

We have a Bieksa clone in Dalton Thrower. Hope we sign him soon.

• BJ says:

I do also. Its nice to see size and toughness working its way up the chain.

• Trollhunter says:

MB has till this summer to sign him… The kid has been through a lot in his personal life but he`s a good prospect. Hope to see him in Hamilton next year.

• moroccanhabfan says:

Didn’t know about the personal life stuff.
            But I have had the chance to watch him several times this year in Vancouver and he was by far the best Giant on the roster. Another level. Not that he was extremely skilled or PK-esque, no. But the rest of the Giants squad was relatively weak and unimpressive so I guess he stood out. Im just wonder how high his ceiling is. He has the skating ability of Beaulieu or PK.
            But he does throw solid hits, moves the puck well, has a good shot, and seems to be a leader on the ice, so we’ll see !
            With Subbie, Chucky & Larsy… The Future is Bright !

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

Agree…Thrower has shown the ability to put a disappointing season behind him and pull a weak team up by it’s boot straps and lead by example. Showing the character that MB seeks. Gotta sign him. Don’t understand why he remains unsigned.

32. Storman says:

5 hours to go, time for some pre game moonshine.

33. Rad says:

Pacioretty needs to step up and lay somebody out with a big hit tonight, something like what Iginla did to him on Thursday. Wake up Max!

• Habcouver says:

The big hit is secondary to beating the Gooins with speed and finesse. Habs have the tools to win this series. A hitting game is playing to Gooins standards but I could do for seeing one spectacular damaging hip check on Lucic compliments of AE74.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

34. Storman says:

(Hockey Corsi & Fenwick), (Baseball War wins above replacement), all these advanced stats are all nice & good for roundtable player evaluation discussions,, but come playoff time,, Wins and losses are decided by desire to sacrifice for teammates,, the will to win desire for team to reach its full potential as a team,, i really care less about any individual stats at this time of year..

• CH Marshall says:

I’ll sacrifice a pound of buttery buffalo wings for a win by a goal tonight

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I somewhat agree, I think at this time of year it is heroic performances that decide games. The Habs need a hero tonight, maybe a few.. I’m looking for Patch, Subban, Price, Plek, Vanek, and Markov.

We need the big boys to shine!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

35. gordispitz says:

i am ready.. i just put on my #7 MORENZ jersey on.. bring it on.. come on boys !

36. kempie says:

God help us all if this is true:

REMOVED – It wasn’t true and it was unsettling.

37. CH Marshall says:

Would love to see the Nordiques back. until then, will settle for the Bruins :D

• Habcouver says:

I still view the Avs as the Nords. :)

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Maritime Ronn says:

CH

Imagine in the same Division:
      Bruins-Nordiques (Florida)-Leafs-Ottawa-Detroit, and an up and coming Buffalo.

That would mean almost playoff hockey during the season for 24-30 games against only those 6 teams.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Remember the witch doctor that used to pound the drum before Habs/Nordiques games? These games were instant classics! Good call.

24 cups and counting….

38. Dulljerk says:

Neither Beaulieu or Tinordi will play in this series unless someone is significantly injured. No need to speculate.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

• Storman says:

Is Dulljerk code for PJ Stock.

• Habcouver says:

Was it Bournival who said he learned a lot by sitting as a “Black Ace” for last year’s (5 game) playoffs?
      Hope the same goes for Tiny and NB… with the similar results. Bournival has been stellar in his role during this year’s playoffs!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

39. Maritime Ronn says:

@JohnLuTSNMtl:
    Pacioretty admits Bruins Chara got the better of him in Games 1-4.
    Pledges to be better for next 3.
    —————
    Not quite sure if anyone should like the sound of that.

• Storman says:

John Lu asked Lars Eller after Tampa Bay game 4, if Kristers Gudļevskis reminded him of the goalie he faced in Sochi,, after that dumbass question of the year award, I pretty much ignore anything John Lu.

• Habcouver says:

Lu deserved to be shunned on that one! :D
        Aside from that, he’s been pretty competent.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
        Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Storman says:

Lars was pretty damn nice about it too,, he had just played a solid series and a fantastic game 4. and to be asked such a ridiculous question,, he just said i don’t know, i did not follow the Olympics,, and looked away in dis belief, looking to another reporter in the scrum for an out and or proper question.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Why dislike the messenger?
        The message by Max was Chara got the better of him.

It’s now up to Max to come through with his “needs to be better.”

• Mattyleg says:

Lu is generally pretty good.
        I’m sure he was embarrassed about that one.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

40. Phil C says:

Re: Subban icetime:

Comparing Subban’s total icetime to Suter’s is not accurate. Suter plays the PK, Subban doesn’t, so he will never have the same numbers. Playing Subban on the PK is not required with all the good PKers the Habs have, nor is it even a good idea.

If you look at ES icetime, Subban has the 2nd most icetime per game of any defencemen, so I think he is being used well.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Phil

It may be more situational, than a direct ToI comparison of Suter/PK.

Minny’s 3rd pairing of Stoner-tough/Prossner-moves puck well, are collectively younger, bigger and stronger than the Habs very vulnerable 3rd pair.

• Phil C says:

Our third pairing has been a revolving door all season, but I think Weaver has stabilized it quite a bit. Despite a few scrabbling shifts, the third pairing has gotten the job done against a good Boston team. Time for the offense to step up.

41. Danno says:

A Habs legend is spotted at Canadian Tire

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• gordispitz says:

wOW,,, thanks for sharing,, what town does the BIG M reside these days? fyi,, i was toronto, detroit, then a hab fan since his days … i owe him mucho

42. zephyr says:

I really like max. I think he knows he has to just keep shooting & working & it’ll start going in. imo, he & dd have been working & vanek has been floating. is vanek hurt? there has been no physical play from him at all. I think weise might be a boon to this line. I luv Gallagher but 2 small guys on the same line means a disadvantage along the boards – at both ends.

43. HelluHabbies says:

Can you be a Canadien fan and not speak Quebecois? (Don’t call it French…it offends France, lol)

• Storman says:

What a Sterling dumb question,,you could be living in Amarillo Texas and never been to Montreal in your life and still be a true red, white & blue Canadiens fan.

• HelluHabbies says:

pretty sure you mean rouge, blanc et bleu

or is the order bleu, blanc, et rouge?

haha, just trolling here a bit. It’s just that the team takes its French heritage so seriously (from an outside perspective, coaching controversy, singing part of the anthem in “French”) I wondered if there was any rift within the fanbase between those that do and don’t speak Quebecois.

• Storman says:

It’s all good,, thought that question was out of left field..The only time i ever saw any rift would be back in the days of the Quebec Nordiques vs Canadiens rivalry. Where you from bro,, are you a Boston fan..If so did you watch Darvish last night,, hopefully Price does what Darvish did to the Sox. PS that pop fly error by Ortiz should have been scored a hit..

• SPATS says:

Watch the movie “The Rocket” to see how language festered and finally blew up with the riots creating a revolution of sorts for Quebec. Les Habitants and the Catholic Church switched spots on many Quebecois priority lists from that point until the Nordiques took among the pure laine. Can’t wait for them to come back! If you are old enough to remember, the Habs/Nordiques rivalry was much more intense than what we’re watching here.

• CH Marshall says:

well these days we’re having a riff raff about Corsi stats.. it changes fom day to day.

• DipsyDoodler says:

The Canadian national anthem was written in French, FYI.

—–
          Moving. Forward.

• moroccanhabfan says:

Thanks for the heads up, DipsyDoodler, what a stupid comment by that troll HelluHabbies saying “the team takes its French heritage so seriously (from an outside perspective, coaching controversy, singing part of the anthem in ‘French’)” Seriously !!!?

With Subbie, Chucky & Larsy… The Future is Bright !

• FlyAngler says:

I suspect that there are more people who are offended by the way that Bostonians speak English than there are by the way Quebecers speak French and I live in Boston. As others have pointed out a highway sign 20 minutes from the T D Garden currently reads:

“Turn on yah blinkah”

Pretty embarrassing for anyone who takes language seriously.

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

• Habies says:

Ask the Ellers. Or about 500,000 Former Soviets in Russia. Or all the Czechs who wished Jagr went to the Habies.
      Really, I hope no one reads your post. Saturday is not a day to get stupider.

44. FlyAngler says:

Hard to believe that TSN 690 is airing inconsequential blather about the NFL draft on a day that the Habs are getting ready to take on the Bruins in a playoff game. Surely prudence and common sense should dictate programming! Totally braindead!

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

45. zephyr says:

boston has scored fluke goals each game so far. I predict the next one will come a shot by krug, who will shoot it 10 feet wide, then off markov’s skate, then off Lucy’s teeth while he’s busy spearing emelin in the nuts, then off the crossbar & in.
    u can whip cream but u can’t beat shit.

• BJ says:

Not quite. Here’s how it goes, you’ve got it right up until crossbar and in. Its actually crossbar and out. PK picks up the puck to Eller, to Bourque coming in on left wing, a power move around Hamilton, Tuuka loses his tuque and #17 buries it up high. Habs come back to Montreal to finish off the series.

46. Dunboyne Mike says:

Totally on the fly all day. Won’t get to tune in until just before puck drop.

What do I need to know?!

47. JUST ME says:

I wonder how Hab`s fans would react if and when NBC would want to put the Habs first but would need them to play regular games a quarter of their schedule in the afternoon ?

Cause this is what happened to the Bruins and being from the classic 6 teams era i am not sure that this is much more fun for their fans.

A week ago we were ready to look at the begining of the game at this time wich made it weird and unusual. I know that some overseas habs fans appreciated that they got a treat in getting a live game in prime time but still…

I am just wondering cause this is what it`s all about playoff hockey against the Bucking Fruins ,saturday night prime time ,serie even 2 games a piece ! Last week just did not feel like tradition for me.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hey Just

Historically, and being an American Network, NBC has shown several American Eastern Time zone teams that have a fan base and provide US ratings.

The Crosby Pens – the once vaunted Ovie Caps, the Rangers, Flyers, and Bruins…

• JUST ME says:

I know Ronn that they will forever be chauvinistic and show an american based team even if this one is mediocre (like Canada does with the Leafs…) But just for argument`s sake cause money does buy anything what if…

Like TSN will get 5 different TV channels soon i wonder if there will be a limit to what the market can take thus one day making it psossible for even the american networks to feature the historic franchises from all over the world at their own convenience of course !

48. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Synergy
    GO Habs GO!!!

49. Danno says:

Bah-stin Gah-dins. Home of the Bah-stin Bwooins

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

50. B says:

Martin Reway and Team Slovakia take on Team Canada at 1:30 PM on TSN today. Reway picked up an assist yesterday in a 3-2 OT loss to the Czechs.

–Go Habs Go!–

51. habs001 says:

The Habs had goal scoring issues all year…It improved with Vanek being added for the end of the reg season and some of the regular season no shows scoring in the playoffs……But the Goal scoring issues are still there and will need to be addressed next year…

• IngersollHabsFan says:

and yet the highest scoring team in the playoffs……on a per game basis….

“The sports page records people’s accomplishments, the front page usually records nothing, but man’s failures.” Earl Warren

52. SPATS says:

Follow the pattern to the next round

Win one
    Lose one
    Win one
    Lose one
    Win tonight
    Lose the next one
    Win in 7

Nothing wrong with that outcome… we get more bang for our entertainment buck and the way the Rangers took it to the Pens last night, Mrs St Louis is their 6th skater.

I’d rather face the Rags to be honest even with Mrs St Louis (gotta figure she’s a Habs fan more than a Rags fan)

53. Maritime Ronn says:

We need to see much, much more Subban tonight.

While sometimes penalties for and against can dictate ToI, Subban needs to be closer to 30 minutes than 20 minutes. (last game 22:52)

Subban is a beast – a workhorse, that doesn’t ever get tired.
    Did he look tired when he scored the OT Game 1 winner?
    In that game he played 33:49 including 29:17 of Even Strength time.

Nothing against the 3rd pairing of whomever, yet they could be matched up against the Bruins 4th line (about 8-9 minutes) plus some 1-3 minutes penalty kill time.

Playing the Habs 3rd pair Dmen (13-14 minutes) against the Bruins 3rd line of Soderberg-Eriksson-Fraser is a mis-match.
    Coach Julien would take that all night, and for the rest of the series in a heart beat.

The Habs also need better 5X5 offence, and that is where the Subban pairing could be a difference maker.

It’s quite basic.
    When the Habs 3rd pair is on the ice, most hope the Bruins won’t score.
    When Subban is on the ice in any situation, there is a goal possibility.

Subban/Gorges and Markov/Emelin can handle 98-100 Dman minutes between them.

• Habfan17 says:

Hey MR,

Although I agree, Subban could handle more time, they can’t over use him now and then have him too tired in the next rounds! It would help if the so called top guns started playing like it!

I hate when they are excused because they face tougher checking. Of course they do, as do all the better players! Tell that to Gaborik, Kopitar, Parise, Kane, Bickell, Jokinen, Statsny, MacKinnon, and more! Actually all the players face more attention.

Patches, Vanek, Gionta, Pleks, and DD, need to kick it in high gear before it is too late. Shoot more and hit the net when they do. This still seems to be a problem for the Habs, hitting the net with their shots!

I have all the faith they will bring it tonight and for as long as they are in. If not, then Bergevin needs to make some tough decisions this off season!

Habfan17

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi 17

This is a tough Boston team.
        Last year, they held the following players to Zero points their sweep of the Pens:
        Crosby-Malkin-Neal-Letang and the Cup chasing Iginla.

As for GMMB, he knows the difference between players that get you to the playoffs and players that get you through the playoffs

• Habfan17 says:

Very true and all counts. However, if he can trade one of those players who get you there, for one who gets you there and gets you through, I would be happy! Having too many players that get you to the big show, but can’t help you win at the big show, won’t bring home Lord Stanley’s cup! Only Lord Jock’s cup!!

Habfan17

• Habcouver says:

Ronn, I agree having PK’s TOI increased but (as discussed with CJ a few days ago) can you afford to play his partner Gorges the same, or do you break up the General and Emelin, giving the latter less ice time? I am guessing that MT and JJD are strategically matching lines, so trying to give PK the extra shifts might be a challenge.

I have been thinking that it is not that PK is not trusted to have the Suter-ish TOI but more so there the rest of the defense is not suited for adjusting to having a workhorse D-superstar.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Habfan17 says:

Very good points. I believe that will change once Tinordi and Beaulieu make the squad.

Habfan17

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi Habcouver

I know several folks on HIO don’t like Gorges for whatever reason, yet he is a great compliment for Subban when PK decides to go on a skateabout.
        Gorges can handle the time and has played a great series to date.
        If PK plays 27-28 minutes (including PP time) Gorges can handle 24-25.

• Habcouver says:

Thanks for the reply, Ronn.
          I am one who happens to love that BC boy Gorges, ex-captain Kelowna Rocket, who has had an incredible playoff series so far.

I have a feeling that the Habs will go farther and exceed our exceeded expectations but it all can’t rest on PK’s shoulders this year. The offensive guys like Max, Vanek and Mr. Playoffs, Daniel Briere need to get it in gear tonight.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
          Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

54. L Elle says:

Our Doug doesn’t have a “ie” in his name. ;)

There are bigger issues going on with the team than our 6th? defenseman.

On the previous thread some great points about our #1? centre’s futility against guys twice his height. I normally love what DD brings, but not in this series. We can talk all we want about defensive breakdowns, mistake, errors and miscalculations on everyone’s part, but the plain truth is our team was shutout.

No goals = losing the game. (Simple thinking on my part, I know.)

Price and PK can take care of their own zone, and then some. But, there are issues to be resolved on the other end. Vanek, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Gionta, etc., need to find the back of the net, starting tonight. I am confident, they will.

Habs in 6!

55. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Really enjoying the Habs run in this year’s playoffs. Hoping for a nice win tonight to go up on those pesky Bruins! NHL entry draft coming up. I saw a Connor Bleakley interview and after reviewing his statistics he might make a great prospect for the Habs. Strong two way game. 200 lb and 6 feet for the size obsessed. Captain of the Red Deer Rebels = leadership. seems like a well grounded kid. I also like Alexis Vanier if he is there in the third round. Dman with the Drakkar, 6-5, 215 and 36 points in 61 regular season games…

24 cups and counting….

56. HelluHabbies says:

I’ve been really satisfied with the lack of filth (dirty hits or diving/extreme embellishment) in this series. I feel like both fanbases should be able to appreciate that.

Habs fans might not like that the Bruins have decided that clogging the neutral zone is the only way to win. In Game 3 the neutral zone was largely a freeway, which certainly favors the Habs. Even Bruins counterattacks of Game 4 looked more measured and methodical since one well-timed poke check results in a significantly more dangerous Habs-oddman rush the other direction or a stretch pass to open up a breakaway.

If the Habs can’t find away through the muck the bruins are creating of the neutral zone, I think they’ll have a hard time winning.

It’s not as exciting hockey and I wouldn’t blame anyone for complaining about it. However, the Habs have done an amazing job blocking shots which gets old and boring in its own right from a Bruins fan’s perspective. (Sure that isn’t John Tortarella behind your bench?)

• Habfan17 says:

I don’t always like what Therrien has done, but I like what he said about some players needing to raise their intensity level. This is where Bergevin gets to really see which players have what it takes and have real character!

I don’t believe in giving players a free ride or making excuses. Patches, DD and Vanek need to raise their level of play of the Habs are to take the next two games! This nonsense of how they face the best players and more attention is just that, a poor excuse. I was one of the fans that thought Gaborik may have been a good fit. I think LA gave up a lot, but he has 6 goals and 10 points in 10 games.
      I would think he is heavily covered!! The teams he has faced are big and fast and he still finds a way! Kopitar even said, although they play on the same line, he feels he has more space because the teams have to respect Gaborik. That should hold true for Patches and Vanek!

Time for ALL the players to play with character, intensity and raise their play!! If not, they may be playing golf sooner than they think!

I expect they will bring it!

Habfan17

57. Clay says:

Anyone else impressed by how the Wild played last night? Constant pressure, and 100% effort from all of their players, every shift. This is how you win in the playoffs.
    The Habs have most players on this page already. Just need to get the last few to buy in. They know who they are. So does our coach.

__________________________
    ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

• Timo says:

I loved the game… it was fantastic hockey. In the third especially most of the Hawks’ players looked confused.

• Clay says:

Other than Habs/B’s, it’s the best series to watch in the second round by far.

__________________________

58. Storman says:

Me so horney for hockey,, MT may use Beaulieu tonight, ya baby..

• Clay says:

What gave you the impression that MT will put Beaulieu in the lineup? That seems seriously inconsistent with his modus operandi.

__________________________

• JUST ME says:

It would be surprizing to see him in the roster i agree but he has left the Black Aces sub group and travelled with the team in Boston. With the secrecy around injured player i`d rather see him then another guy not playing at 100 %.

• Clay says:

I agree. I just can’t see MT doing it. I think Tinordi would look good playing as well.

__________________________

• FlyAngler says:

Tinordi is far more susceptible to give aways than Beaulieu as was clearly evidenced when both had time with the Habs during the regular season. Tinordi definitely has the size and physique, but he is far more likely to make a mistake that might cost you a game as he did in the last game between the Bruins and the Habs at the Bell Centre during the regular season.

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

• Dulljerk says:

Neither Beaulieu or Tinordi will play in this series, unless there’s a significant injury.

No eternal reward will forgive us for wasting the dawn.

59. FlyAngler says:

The pressure is on Rask and the Bruins. Rask has clearly performed better on the road than at home per these stats for the 2014 playoffs:

HOME GAMES PLAYED 5 ROAD GAMES PLAYED 4
    HOME WINS: 3 ROAD WINS: 3
    HOME LOSSES: 2 ROAD LOSSES: 1
    HOME SHUTOUTS: 0 ROAD SHUTOUTS: 2
    HOME GOALS AGAINST 11 ROAD GOALS AGAINST 5
    HOME SHOTS AGAINST 153 ROAD SHOTS AGAINST 118
    HOME SAVE %: .928 ROAD SAVE %: .958
    HOME GAA: 2.05 ROAD GAA: 1.19

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

• L Elle says:

“like”, and hope the trend continues!

• FlyAngler says:

Absolutely L Elle!- Me too- BIG TIME- should be no contest, after all Carey Price is a beef eating, calf tackling cowboy from British Columbia and Tukka Rask by his appearance would seem to be a connoisseur of- well- herring. I think that Price has more character and, he has a better record against the Bruins than Rask has against the Habs.

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

60. icky pop says:

I’m working nights at the moment, and didn’t catch the last two games. Regarding stats, it seems it’s only vanek that hasn’t shown up. According to stats, patches is throwing his body around. DD has been a favorite of mine since he was on the fourth line in 2010. He was playing well from what I saw earlier. He was trying anyways. So my previous comment could be ignored, as I have not seen much from vanek, aside from tipping two PK shots. Can’t wait to see the game tonight. Habs playoff games are the only time I feel true, childhood Xmas like, excitement. I’m confident in a win tonight. It will be a seven game series, and I won’t get to see game seven. Stupid job.

61. Habcouver says:

I’m just happy it’s not another morning game.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

62. Butterface says:

Well I have been drinking, frequenting local motels, whoring it up the last 3 days… so I am sorry if I have missed all the media and analysis.

My feeling is we will start the same line up as last time…. or maybe MT will finally get White in over Moen. The defence was great last game.

The OT winner game 4 was a crappy goal that should have been covered, cleared or dealt with by the 3 Habs in front of the net….

We will see how this one plays out.

I know Montreal will win game 6 (and 7 if needed) . I am still wondering what tonight will bring…. I think MAYHEM will ensue tonight.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

63. montreal ace says:

I’m really happy about the series, clean slate and best 2 out of 3, unbelievable job by the Habs. I still don’t think we have played our best hockey

64. Butterface says:

Well….. I believe some pressure will be relieved tonight.
    Hardly any penalties; hardly any goals; hardly any goonery.
    Something has got to give.
    It could be a blowout tonight….goals, penalties and goonery…
    Which way, I am not sure…..
    Here is hoping it is Montreal with the goals and Boston with the penalties and goonery.
    Make it so.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

65. icky pop says:

If DD, patches and vane would show up for the playoffs finally….

66. deggy24 says:

Missing in the analysis on Murray’s performance is the strongest correlative factor to Frankie b’s recent poor game rating. That would be Mr. Weaver. Weaver is a poor mans Josh Gorges. Undersized, underskilled but able to draw the most out of his limited gifts An underdog and as such a bit of a fa favorite, gritty Mike is a big part of Frankie and Murrays low ratings.
    Habs Win!

67. montreal ace says:

Risky Rask with a stinker tonight, his rebounds are going to cost him

68. icky pop says:

Wish I could get me some Rd, and understand french. Sick of cbc and tsn cheering for American teams.

69. The Teacher says:

Buck Foston timo. Buck Foston.

Habs will lose and will lose bad tonight. The breaking point in this series was the tying goal by Bruins in game 2.

• Roy_s_WINK says:

Man, just log off. You are the worst. Infamous for your negativity.

• IngersollHabsFan says:

It must be easy living your life…..nothing but doom and gloom.
      Whatever floats your boat.

This series has been amazing to watch. The team is overacheiving. Enjoy the ride. They might have won their last game…who cares?!?

You gave up after game two….that tells me alot about your own fortitude and character…and I have never met you……

Pathetic…..

• Habcouver says:

… but you are still sticking with Habs in 7 and Davey scores the OT winner, Timo? :)

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• JUST ME says:

Do not dare telling him he is a piece of…
      Some people appreciate his presence here i guess.

71. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Never been first before…cherry popped!

24 cups and counting….