Video: Markov, Gill, Gionta as camp begins

Hal Gill

Canadiens defenceman Hal Gill, always in a good mood, meets with reporters Friday in Brossard.
Stubbs video grab

For seven and a half minutes Friday morning, Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov spoke with a crowd of reporters in the team’s Brossard dressing room, addressing the topic of his surgically rebuild right knee and his progress toward a return to action.

We also dropped in on chats with defenceman Hal Gill and captain Brian Gionta and had a view of a little fitness testing. Here’s all of it, in high definition:

1. faimi says:

Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30
    DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
    Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF,COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    Jeans price is $34,Door to Door services!
    5 days arrive your home or you

2. Un Canadien errant says:

Team C has two interesting lines. Maybe the coaching staff has been reading the line combinations you guys have been submitting since June. And I thought it was pointless…

David Desharnais – Lars Eller – Andrei Kostitsyn
    Travis Moen – Andreas Engqvist – Ryan White

This one has a nice look to it, might be ready in 2-3 years time, although Mathieu might have retired by then. It would be great if a bigger winger like Alain Berger or Steve Quailer was on left wing.

Mathieu Darche – Michael Bournival – Brendan Gallagher

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

3. HABZ24 says:

mr.glassov not ready, shocker.hope hes ready by reg season. wanna see what yemelin can do. i have a great feeling this year, with the addition of cole and big max back if we stay healthy, this is our year.
    GO HABS GO

4. RiverviewCanadien says:

Stubbs or Hickey,

Pacioretty looks like he’s gained some muscle and mass (on video). In person, is there a noticeable difference compared with last year?

Are people still freaking out over Markov, or is everything OK? No reason to fret over Andrei, take as much time as needed right now. Remember PG gave him a 3 year commitment, ain’t no way they are going to mess that up (either side).

Now if I was a PIT fan, I might be really thinking about the “future” of my team.

5. Nakasuga says:

Help please. I am going to try and get tickets tomorrow for the Habs vs. Bolts in Tampa Bay-Dec 29th. If you have been any suggestions on where to sit-with wife, 7 month old and father. Thanks/Merci

6. Neutral says:

With out Markov if the new D-men proves to be good I still think they can finish 4th in the Eastern conference it’s gonna depend on the D and Goaltending I think we’re gonna be ok up front no major injury’s of course….

7. SadPricey says:

My girlfriend just walked by and asked me what I was doing

to which I replied:

“oh not much – just looking at shirtless pics of hockey players”

got to love the pre-season

Finally! I got to hear the interviews clearly! Great job.

In the past I did not even bother to click onto most interviews. The sound was terrible with all the back ground noise and talking. Not a very professional job.

Sure hope this continues recording guys!

9. Nina76 says:

let us all give them a chance. What was the injury that PK has & how did he get it……I BELEIVE GO! GO! GO!

10. SadPricey says:

You can really notice the muscle Patches put on over the summer

he even makes Moen look small standing next to him

11. TOEmastro says:

Yemlin looks like a bag of milk…

12. Is it me or have times changed? Now when a top-four d-man is in rehab I get really worried!

13. I just can’t control myself anymore. I am just creamin’ for some line-combo and d-pairing posts!!!

14. samTHEman says:

It’ll be interesting to see what the top lines combinations are when season starts and which wing Cole and Cammi will play. Both shoot left and normally play LW. I’m assuming

Cammi-Plek-Cole
    Patch-Gom-Gio

What I like is that both AK and Patch have worked out well in the past on the wing with Cammi-Plek, so if Cole isn’t the right fit, line up can be switched around to get Cole-Gome-Gio and Cammi-Plek-Patch/AK

15. Propwash says:

Patches is a friggin beast!
    Remember this clip from awhile back? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnhEzHdmJLg

16. rated_R says:

Jorges, that irritates me.

17. SmartDog says:

Okay folks I REALLY need your help. Have you been to Brossard?

I’m thinking of taking 3 kids to see the Habs on Sunday or Monday.
    So…
    Q1. I’d rather go Sunday but is that going to be a zoo compared to Monday?
    Q2. Do we need to show up crazy early to get a seat (or decent seats)?
    Q3. Is there a strategy to getting autographs? Anything else I should know… bring a blanket (kids are 7-9)… ??

THANKS!

• samTHEman says:

It’s going to be packed on all days even monday but alot more on Saturday and Sunday (duh). The practice starts at 10 even though scrimmage is at 11 so I’d say show up at 9:30 so you can find parking and a good seat around the glass to watch practice. At around 10:30-10:40, people line up in front of the door to get inside the rink for the scrimmage so keep your eyes open if you want to get in and be comfy. It’s also pretty chilly in there so bring a good sweater or you will FREEZE YOUR ASS like I did last time in a t-shirt lol. As for autographs, usually people stand beside where the players come out with their car, but you could be waiting there till 1 or even 2 as no one knows what’s in schedule for the players after the scrimmage…better off getting an autograph on a more casual day during the season right after morning practice. I’ll be there all 3 days so say hi if you see me.

18. savethepuck says:

Anyone else on here thinking Erik Cole may have laryngitis. How come nobody’s sticking a mic in the face of our biggest summer free agent signing?

19. SensFanSpezza says:

I know everybody’s saying to be cautious on Markov, and not to freak out about him being more hurt than we thought. That’s a good way to look at it for now. But what do you think would happen if he really is more hurt than we thought? Who’s going to step in for him?

20. HabsTrueBlue says:

Barring injuries. Who will play more games in the NHL this season: Engqvist, Palushaj, or Trotter?

21. Xkhann says:

I think we’re gonna see, in essence, 3 scoring lines this year, with the 4th line acting as a periodical 3rd line checking line, so the issue of top 6 and bottom 6 won’t be so much of an issue (so sumthin like Line 1,2,4,3,1,4,2,1,3,2,4 etc.) and JM made that clear too when he stated “top 9″…this leads me to think, and perhaps like to see (meanwhile keeping all players happy) a return to the 1st line for AK46 (and he was right..at the beginning of last year that line was on FIRE (pleks-cammy-AK), and naturally as a coach you’re looking for balance so I dont blame JM for trying to spread the offense, but go back to your bread and butter)), all-American Olympian Line, Desharnais centering MaxPac and Palushaj (IF Eller not ready-which likely wont be-and the fact DD & MaxPac had excellent chemistry in the AHL & judging by video have a bond in training) with a rotating crop of 4players for the 4th line really crashing and banging out there (essentially earning their rest) with White, Darche, Moen & Engqvist. If Palushaj doesnt make it, I wonder/hope Weber would be willing to go on a wing with DD & MaxPac? but Im thinkin let Markov take his time and come back healthier and perhaps roll the D with PK-Gill, Webs-Gorges, Yemelin-Spacek

I only fight HeavyWeights

22. diehardhab says:

I really want to know what was going through Cole’s mind when he was doing his physical and he saw all the cameras INSIDE the gym?!

The torch be yours to hold it high!

23. GrimJim says:

I love when Patch walks away from the machine and you can see all the photographers in the mirror. 20 guys with shoulder mounted TV camera and one guy with his Nikon Coolpix

24. G-Man says:

Like Markov said, “Show me those people..”
    Marinaro, you are a self-serving dork!

• awesomerino says:

Bang on assessment of Marinaro, G-Man. He truly is a shameless, self-serving attention whore. I can see why he so loves being a part of the L’Antichambre gang, and prior to that, the 110% posse.

25. Kooch7800 says:

I wonder who Gill will be paired with? Jorges or Subban

• Chrisadiens says:

Tough call. Id like to see Gorges back with Gill though. They worked amazing together. I think PK can be paired with anyone and play well. Gorges might depend on Gill a little more IMO.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think when Markov is back he would be great for PK. Two good shots.

I was hoping Yemelin but he looks like he needs to find the gym first

• Chrisadiens says:

I think Yemelin did decently in the goals department in the KHL. Not sure if that will translate to the NHL but that would be 3 dmen that can score. 4 if you add Weber.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Timo says:

Now now… lets not get carried away. They were ok, far from “amazing”. It’s not like either of them was paired with MAB.

• Tony McLean says:

Teams like the Brunes and Flyers are going to be gunning for PK the way May took out Markov and there’s still no one to look out for him (and others on the team). That is the number one shortcoming of the team. No heavyweight. Not a goon, a *player* like Ferguson or Nilan.

You have two choices: Break Chara’s nose and win or grab your ankles and lose. There are no other choices. Make a choice.

• Chris says:

The same way that teams gunned for Nicklas Lidstrom, Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg throughout their careers? Detroit doesn’t employ a goon either.

Or the liberties that other teams took with Martin St. Louis, Steven Stamkos or Victor Hedman? I’m sure that noted goon Steve Downie’s fights protected them.

• MJ says:

I don’t think we need a goon as much as team toughness, something no team in the league can have too much of. We can use guys that are tough, can dish out the hard hits and contribute (guys like that are usually able to handle themselves in a fight if needed) as opposed to a goon who’s sole purpose is to try and engage opposing players in a fight.

As far as Chara goes, I hate him with a passion too, he’s a bully and a dirty player, BUT… the guy can also play the game and I also believe that not a player in this league today will willingly engage him. The guy is huge, strong like a bull and aggressive as hell. Sadly he will never suffer the consequences of his actions, even if we had a goon.

________________________________________________
            This team can use a 6’4″ fourth line centre full of grit and aggression. Paul Gaustad anyone?

• Chris says:

I don’t think we need toughness so much as an elite, super-star calibre position player. Because without one of those, it’s kind of hard to score goals. The NHL is full of guys who are really, really good.

Look at the top teams…

Boston: Chara
            Vancouver: Henrik & Daniel Sedin
            Detroit: Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom
            Chicago: Toews, Kane, Keith
            Pittsburgh: Crosby, Malkin
            Tampa Bay: Stamkos, St. Louis
            Washington: Ovechkin, Backstrom

I know that we don’t have one because we haven’t picked in the top-5, where you are most likely to get a guy like that. But unless you’ve got some serious firepower, it is really hard to win the Stanley Cup.

The Habs are good, but they don’t have a single elite player at the moment, with the possible exception of Carey Price, who is realistically a top-5 to top-10 goalie.

• G-Man says:

Same old ,same old. Your optimism leaves a lot to be desired. It’s the bleeping pre-season, either get behind the team or get out of the way.