Video: Koivu on his homecoming

A clearly emotional Saku Koivu expresses his thoughts before taking questions at Friday’s Bell Centre news conference in this video shot by The Gazette’s Dario Ayala. Koivu and the Anaheim Ducks will take on the Canadiens Saturday night. Here’s Stubbs’s column on the Friday conference and Saturday game.

wYkWDo-88sU

1. samTHEman says:

Will RDS show Koivu stepping on the ice for the 1st time? I rarely get to watch games from the very beginning so excuse my dumb question lol

2. J.J. of Turku says:

Hmmm…

I guess I never realized how much I wanted Saku to stay in Montreal. He has really “something” that is hard to put to words.

I Just hope the audience won’t boo to him.

BTW 5-3 win for the Habs. Saku 1+2.

3. BJ says:

Truly a class act and warrior. I have in my office right in front of me a Habs Koivu game worn jersey I see everyday and enjoy. I had the privilege of taking game action photos of him here in Europe when he played for Turku and the Finnish National team. What a great player and leader. Hope he gets two tonight but that we score seven like we did last night.

4. habs365 says:

Thank you Saku for everything..wish there were more players around like you..joe sakic and stevie “y” were the last of the great ones..hard to replace those kind of players today..most of them don’t respect each other.

5. wall2bay says:

Kinda strange how AK27 gets a cheezy parade and than gets booed on his return. While SK11 gets gets nada on his departure and will get a hero’s welcome.

Man did we take him for granted! Never really appreciated what we had till it was gone!

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

6. Chris says:

Glad to see you’re waiting on the whole story to come out before making pronouncements on the guy’s moral fibre.

7. HABS_FAN_NS says:

They better give him a Standing O tonight. I wish he was still here. He deserved a lot more than what he got for all he did for the city and the organization as a whole

8. pricefor25 says:

This guy deserves every min. of standing ovation. he gave it all here in montreal. he played with heart. I still choose koivu over gomez anytime.

9. showey47 says:

“toronto maple leaf all-star defenceman?” LMAO

10. Laszlo says:

Expect a 10 minute standing ovation when this guy enters the ice. Montreal will never forget Saku, not even the booing elite.

11. SmartDog says:

To clarify.  Him = Koivu, yes?

12. RJ says:

Gomez is not worthy of wearing #11! Please vote him FIRST STAR because that is what he is — on and off the ice.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

13. SmartDog says:

I guess being dumped by the Habs and sentenced to being a Laff is a pain you can’t get over.  Makes sense.

“It bothers me…there are old coaches in the league today that don’t know how to deal with these young personalities.” – Mike Peca on JM handling of PKS

14. WindsorHab-10 says:

Saku Koivu = CLASS.

15. Clay4bc says:

Koivu just exudes class. A true champion whose number 11 had better be in the rafters along with all of the other legends. A great player, but an even greater person.

He is truly missed. And I would trade him for our current number 11 in a heartbeat.

16. Clay4bc says:

Good luck to you, man. Keep fighting.

17. SmartDog says:

Wow.  Komiserik accused of punching a woman in the face in a night club?  O’Byrne has nothing on this!

Imagine, Gainey wanted to make this guy Captain.  If you’re still thinking that good guys like Bob Gainey don’t make mistakes, wake up!  Everyone does.  Though only very, very few people ever punch a woman in the face.  Kind of a big mistake.

18. Habsolute says:

Saku had better get a standing ovation and had better NOT get booed!  He gave himself to this city and it wasn’t his choice not to return, the team went in a different direction.  Saku is a classy man and let’s show him the respect he deserves!

19. ants says:

I will be at the game tonight and cheering for both Saku and the Habs.  I have been looking forward to this game all year!  I miss him so much.  We lost a lot of heart, soul and talent.  Good luck Saku, good to have you home!

20. sims says:

anyone going to the game tomorrow bettter blow the roof off the bell center when he steps on the ice

21. zaq007 says:

I miss this guy so much…

22. captaink4life says:

I will most definitely be voting for Captain K as the first star of tonight’s game. I hope many of you do the same 🙂

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

23. gatorhabs says:

Thank you, Saku, thank you.

But I still hope you lose tomorrow. <today>

24. W35T5ID3 says:

Hats off to Captain Koivu whom i will never forget and who gave his all to this city and the team.I hope number 11 gets raised to the rafters one day because he was not just a great hab ,he was a great human being and in my mind is still a Montreal Canadien.Maybe one day when he has retired we will see him as a hab once again in a managing or coaching capacity.That’d be amazing!Cheers to Captain K for all the great memories!

25. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

Wecome home Saku, your heart and leadership were tremendous while you were with the Habs and your courage to overcome cancer are and always be an inspiration to me as I fight my own battle with this disease.

26. Habsolute says:

27. Bugs says:

Not surprised. Wasn’t Grabby accused of the same thing during the Couver Olympics? Must be a leafer thing…ex-Hab-turned-leafer thing, that is.

28. Bugs says:

Man, this no-hyperlink situation is really crampin my style… Anyway, a little low-down on what Engqvist brings to the team, for those who wanna know more: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

29. CHCanadien says:

I hope Saku gets a well deserved long standing ovation and cheered every time he touches the puck.

30. LA Loyalist says:

Finally we get to collectively say “thank-you”. Bless you and your family.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

31. habs365 says:

sorry to hear that..remember saku, you can do it to..all the best