Video: Habs beat Penguins in shootout

The Canadiens beat the Pittsburgh Penguins 2-1 in Montreal’s first shootout of the season, Benoit Pouliot scoring in regulation time then beating Penguins goalie Brent Johnson with a nifty deke in the shootout. Video below of Pouliot, then Habs goalie Carey Price on his night’s work and how he’ll support his friend, Josh Gorges, during his upcoming surgery rehab, and diminutive forward David Desharnais, referred to by Pouliot as a “mini Scott Gomez.”

PEceWK_izBY

1. Julie H says:

Good question to Price, Dave! That’s one thing I really appreciate between our players and our media: you try to ask the questions (or at least his is how it seems to me) that you think fans are thinking and would like to have answered.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

2. Julie H says:

Love the optimism Shane.

I don’t what is wrong with Kostistyn and I find it difficult to care, but I really hope Cami pulled things together before playoff time for his own sake.

3. sholi2000.com says:

Hard to say.  If they (the team) would have lost a few more games then maybe a move would have been made.  But now you pretty much have too see how they fair.

I’d like to see 30 goals added to the lineup.  Maybe with Markov in the lineup the forwards would be scoring more.  Or you could go FA this summer to find a player who can score 30 on his own.

Habs Won, Bruins Lost.

All is right in the world today.

Oh and Poor Halak was pulled yet again.

From Allan Walsh Tweeter Account

Hey JD, you keep pullin the Halakness Monster and I’m pullin his butt outta there.

They Call Me Shane

4. sholi2000.com says:

Cammalleri and Kostistyn could have won that game all by themselves.  Time for those two to get their heads out of their asses.

Held a very good team to one goal.  Great job.

I could hear the entire fan base last night.  It was during the 5 on 3 power play.  We were all saying get the puck low and shoot.  The Pens forwards were blocking everything high.

Cammalleri is as predictable now as OV is to entire NHL.

Cross ice pass/one timer.  It’s read every time.  Need some new plays there Cammi.

Sorry to be such a critic, but we need you to score almost every single night, not just goals, but key goals.

Pouliot, what can I say.  You played lazy/**** in the first two periods and came out smelling like roses.  Congrats, I needed those points for my pool.  But tell me.  In the first when PK was going end to end looking for a stick in front of the net, why couldn’t you get around that flower.  Why?  Because you stopped to smell the damn thing.  Get your butt in front of the net and stay there.

Nice work Carey, number 20 is always the hard win to get.  Same with 30 and 40.  But I can’t wait to watch them happen.

They Call Me Shane

5. matraque says:

What i really want to know is…

Briefs or Boxers?

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

6. Dave Stubbs says:

Georges Laraque.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

7. kempie says:

No contest, it’s TP. Guy has such great speed that he gets a ton of chances but he’s got the concrete touch. The only goals I’ve ever seen him score have gone in off his helmet or his pants.

8. rocketsglare says:

In light of losing Gorges for the year, does management go with the current D or do they make a trade?

I say let P.K. and Weber develop and use Picard as your relief. What do you guys think?

9. WindsorHab-10 says:

How about instead of benching poor Eller, JM benches Cammalleri?

10. rocketsglare says:

The depleted D did their job tonight. Props to the guys. Love how P.K. rode all night Malkin. Hopefully, Hamrlik

can return by Saturday to add some D support. Great game by the D. Let’s keep it going against the Bruins.

11. cameronwalker89 says:

Is it just me, or did Price seem very mature when talking about Gorges injury. Seems like the kid has grown up.

“The day you hear someone call me captain will be the day I buy a boat.”
    -The Flower

12. WindsorHab-10 says:

COMMANDO.

13. rocketsglare says:

Great character win given the bad news of Gorges loss for the year. The team played inspired all game long and

battled hard from start to finish. Simply no quit in this team. I was impressed with the play of Desharnais and

how he often attacked the net. Gutsy little bastard. Even Moen looked impressive tonight. How about Pouliot’s

2 beautiful goals and the heroics of Price as he seemed to be sending a signal with his sick saves in the shoot

out that he is back. That pose by Carey after he stoned the last Penguins player in the shoot out was awesome.

It’s only one game, but a huge game that the team needed to win to not only keep pace in the Eastern Confer-

ence, but to build confidence and momentum for the rest of this home stand. Winning one game at a time will

improve the team’s outlook and fortunes. Great team win. Now lets get ready for Saturday’s game and kick ass.

Go habs Go!

14. therealrocky says:

funny how pouliot said saturday against the rangers when they play the bruins

15. dre1744 says:

When are they gonna transfer this to a real server  so the site doesn’t crash every game???????????

On another note  its good to see Price  play the way we know he can,  hopefully he goes on a winning streak now!!!!!!!!!

16. Angela Morales says:

Carey was sooo awesome last night! congrats on your 20th win of the season :)

that shootout goal by pouliot was crazy! i thought he lost the puck and it wasnt going to go in and was wondering why everyone was cheering haha

17. Say Ash says:

OK. I mean, honestly. Worse hands: Pyatt or Moen?

18. twocents says:

Po-Po-Polio…oh oohhh..

19. JD_ says:

Just say the word…

20. avatar_58 says:

I was disappointed I didn’t see Subban pull the foresberg, but then Benny came along and made it all better

21. JD_ says:

Great endin’ to the How Not To Pass In The NHL DVD. Price made me laugh out loud with his gesture. He was in good form throughout the game. Professionally avoided his recent trend for generous sorties.

Beat a team that had thrashed the oppostition the previous night. Thought both teams were a bit off tonight. Newsy was lost. Bizarre. Unlike most teams, the Pens without their star player are a shadow of themselves. Whatever. Two sorta points in the bank.

Rewatched Pouliot’s shootout winner on the Youbster a few times. Captain Crunch. It’s somethin’ pretty special. Like a sine wave. Wow.

What’s the difference between Vladimir Malakhov and the HI/O server?

22. HABZ24 says:

holy crap batman, what a great game!!!!!! PRICE WAS AWESOME !! he was spectacular and won it for us. back to playing as a team, and winning as a team!!  slumps over baby!! onward and upward!!

Somewhere in his office JM is cursing… “Damn you, Pouliot and your two goals. Now I will have to wait at least a game before I bench you”

Btw, did anybody catch PK being totally disrespectful to Malkin? Was skating with him, nagging him, yapping something. I wonder what Don Cherry has to say about that given that it is a russkie and not a good ‘ol Canadian boy. Does Cherry choose the english way or the white way? It’s a toughy.

24. habrez says:

Correct me if I’m wrong but Pouliot was one of the 6 forwards to get ice time in OT (the others being Deharnais, Pleks, Cammi, Gio and Gomez). Not sure he is still in JMs doghouse.

25. observer says: