Multimedia from the room after 5-3 win

Nokie

Everyone loved Hal Gill’s goal … and contributions from fourth-liners Mathieu Darche and Petteri Nokelainen.
And Jacques Martin talked about special teams: a power-play goal and another shutout for the PK.

AUDIO of Jacques Martin

1. filmnoir2012 says:

Alexei Emelin should be playing a regular shift and on the left side. He is a beast and if they don’t play him regularly he will go back to Russia!

2. Jon Dean says:

Personally, I urge all to boycott HIO until Pat Hickey issues a full, sincere apology for his column blaming Fleury.

Against Instigator Rule, New Sticks, and Enlarged Goalie Equipment, Boston Bruins

• filmnoir2012 says:

I will boycott you sending anymore comments.

• Jim Edson says:

C’ya!

Obviously, his editor did not agree with you! Why aren’t you outraged by him and the managing editor as well!

It’s his opinions! You don’t have to read them anymore its your option like it was Hickey’s option to express his opinions

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

3. ProHabs says:

At the end of the season, if the Habs need to decide between AK46 and Cammy, they better sign AK46 and trade Cammy.

• Wops says:

Up to now, I still take cammalleri for the playoffs. He’s in a daze, he’ll get out of it. He tries to do too much.

That being said, with our salary situation its impossible to keep both. So we’ll have to make a choice. It’s a long season, let’s give camma a bit more time and lets see if Kostitsyn’s fire is lit for good!

• Boomer says:

PG will trade both for another overrated overpriced bum…or a bag of pucks…maybe both

Boom baby!

I am wondering… what is it going to take to get Weber out of the lineup? I understand Habs “have” to play Gomer and Cammi etc… But what’s JM’s obsession with Weber? JM is still a moron for not dressing Emelin.

• I said it before.. I’ll say it again.
      Emelin is a top 4 dman (compared to what we have).
      Diaz, Weber and Campoli are not. Even Gill is no longer a top 4.
      Why JM continues to..
      sigh.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Q: “what is it going to take to get Weber out of the lineup?”
      A: Twelve healthy forwards.

P.S. I’ve been strongly “Anti-Weber” since the first time I saw him play.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yannick Weber is still young, can learn and develop into a very useful defenceman. He has a bullet from the point, something that can’t be taught. Everything else he can be coached on.

As the Canadiens blueline situation normalizes, he will be able to contribute more. He’s confused now but played well at the start of the season. Unfortunately at the start of the season, he wasn’t surrounded by veterans and defensive defencemen, but rookies and mostly smaller puck movers instead. That doesn’t make up a good D, but in the right mix he has the kind of skill that’s hard to find.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

5. Just finished watching the game.

Looked to me like #17 and #22 were a factor. Funny how that works.

Montoya was horrible tonight.

The Isle in general are terrible.

We’ll beat the flyers next and finish off the week with a W on Saturday.

No trolls tonight? Oh that’s right, they pledged their allegiance to the Leafs last Friday. lol bandwagon jumpers at their finest.

Way to go Habs, True fans never give up! That’s what makes us the difference from all the rest.

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

• Habies says:

From a Myanmar mornign I have one word: word. The wagons kill me and it makes me nervous how short termed people’s loyalties are back home. Makes this site hard to read at times.

Unreal that the Habs are still hanging around with 24 million tied up in Gomez, Markov and Gio out and zero production from Cammy.

Checking capgeek.com, Gomez leads in the MOST POPULAR BUYOUTS category.

==============

Apparently the TSN panel noted it and Talik Sanis mentioned it but immediately after the Habs went up 3-1 they went to the 1-2-2 and bingo put the Islanders back in the game.

Then tied 3-3 the Habs decided to forecheck again and bingo they scored.

Fortunately they finished the game while 4-3 as the anti-System™ team and not the System™ one.

==============

Martin must be doubly pissed that the 4th line got two goals. I also wonder if Martin would rather lose 2-1 than win 5-3.

• Sotxhabsfan says:

well, Gomez leads SOMETHING then…

• Hockey says:

yes, coaches are angered by wins. glad to read you now have a job. at your advanced age, that is probably a good thing. less time spent pouting around on hockey websites behaving like a self-medicating loser. btw, you’re on the wrong website, leafs fan.

• The Dude says:

Come on guy’s leave HH alone after all if this years Habs don’t give you vertigo then you must be dead! All the guy want’s is a legit winner”fu@k the loser point!” I want to personally thank Scareface in nets for the Isle….you sir could make Garth Murray look like Brent Hull! First thing I do if I was you Montoya is catch the guy who did your sister, cause you mind was as far away from goalkeeping as humanly possible. You made a guy nicknamed Nikoa”or something like that”look like Guy Lafleur and that’s unbelievable ! Wow…..

7. Habfan4lfe says:

NYI are in 27th place while it’s important to win it’s a bottom feeder team. You’d think we beat 1st or 2nd place reading around here. Let’s see how we do against Philly. That will say a lot about our changes.

8. Rainrocket16 says:

That game got me nervous as hell in the third! Getting sick of these 3rd period meltdowns.Nice to see Gill score even though it was a empty netter. Eller has the moves man, PK had a rough night. What I am liking is the 2 1/2 men line!

9. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I thought Montoya let in some flubs but also made some excellent saves, so it evens out as far as that goes.

As far as a team improvement, is there anyone who would like to see Eller on a line centering Gionta and René Bourque? I would, good combo of speed in Gionta, size with Bourque and all the things we see Lars doing well. Don’t think it would take much to pull him out of there… mid range prospect(s) and a pick. Couple solutions to the cap issue…

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I agree on your first point, but TSN Sports Centre said he played bad, so expect a lot of “Habs only won because Montoya sucked” talk around here until the next game.

10. Al aboo says:

wow, no matter what u cant please some,, was at the game tonight and the next two, my daughter’s first, class act Montreal another great time, keep it rolling boys, f the haters , f’n scumbags, the kids are alright! see ya at practice guys< sorry wifey

11. 24moreCups says:

Kostitsyn is playing great like we all know he can but it’s also his contract year and didn’t he do the same thing last time he was up for a new contract?

Not saying he isn’t a talented player there’s no denying that, I’m just used to people talking about how he’s invisible for most of the year.

Hope we can keep the winning streak going and hope to see more Emelin!

12. WestHab says:

I’m starting not to dread our power plays. About a week or two ago I practicly watched our PP the same way I watch a good horror flick with my hands over my eyes. While the team still isn’t scoring a lot on the PP at least they get chances.

13. Wops says:

will the real Mike Cammalleri please stand up?

14. Un Canadien errant says:

As the game started, I decided to pay attention to the defensive play of P.K. Subban, as I had read a few reports recently about how he had concentrated on this aspect of his game and Jacques Martin had praised him accordingly. Sure enough, right away I saw a couple of instances where his mobility and anticipation allowed him to snuff out an incipient threat before it had a chance to develop. I was of a mind to begin composing a congratulations/apology open letter to P.K., having been critical of his tendency to try to do too much and to do the complicated, dangerous play instead of the simple one since the start of the season. As if to reassure me that I wasn’t off-base and that my observation skills were still sharp, P.K. made a pass/clearing attempt in his zone through the middle of the ice instead of off the boards, and sure enough Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau easily intercepted it and fed the puck to Matt Moulson for an easy goal.

Another of my whipping boys, Andrei Kostitsyn made me jump off the couch because of a beautiful goal he scored, one that wasn’t just a sniper’s goal or lucky, but rather one that he created by playing hard and smart. He accepted a pass in the neutral zone and then did many little things he often forgets to do. First, he skated hard into the opposing zone, instead of coasting or being hesitant. When challenged by a defender at the blueline, he pushed the puck ahead, and this is where it gets really interesting, he kept skating hard and outmuscled his coverer. He then reached the puck at the same time as another Islander, won a brief puck battle by lifting his stick up and stealing the puck, and then went hard at the net, shooting after a couple of strides. These are the kind of goals we envision Andrei scoring all the time, and why we accuse him of being asleep or lazy or not caring when he disappears during a game or ten. Maybe being exposed to the rampaging Erik Cole, who every game plays like he wants the puck and knows the way to the net, is having a positive effect on le Frère Andrei. The rest of the game, Andrei was hungry and energetic, and fought for the puck and created scoring chances. Good on him, and good for us.

Speaking of whipping boys (not mine but possibly yours), both Mathieu Darche and Petteri Nokelainen scored, ending personal droughts and chipping in the secondary scoring we need with the Plekanec line not clicking right now. A good aspect was that they were confidence-building goals, on strong slapshots rather than lucky deflections, and hopefully these guys will have a weight lifted off their shoulders and a spring in their step for the next few games.

We have two players who were injured early in the season and are starting to attract attention for their lack of contribution on the scoresheet. Mike Cammalleri tweaked a knee and missed a couple of games, but has come back and has not met expectations since. I think we need to be patient with him, he’s playing hurt and it’s affecting his speed, his strength in the corners and his mobility to get in position to get his shot off. Same goes for Max Pacioretty, who hurt his right wrist and has been carried a little bit by Erik Cole and David Desharnais. While he’s not being the dominant player we got glimpses of last season and we hoped for, he’s being a warrior, knowing there isn’t anyone else available to allow him to take a few games off. Now with Brian Gionta and even maybe Travis Moen missing time, we have to applaud Mike and Max for soldiering on, instead of grumbling.

Erik Cole continues being a one-man wrecking crew, skating hard and battling for the puck, he’s an inspiration and everything we hoped for. His rushes where he sweeps around the opposing left defencemen are bound to draw attention from future opponents who will back away to protect their net, and give more room to the other Canadiens.

Hal Gill sealed the win, finally, when he lobbed the puck out of the zone, intending just to clear his zone but almost causing an icing. Instead, it dribbled into the Islander goal, and he sheepishly accepted the congratulations and good-natured ribbing of his teammates. I thought I even saw a bit of a facewash by P.K. A good ending, but Mr. Gill according to Marc Denis played an even greater role in the second intermission, when he button-hooked Mr. Subban and took him aside for a heart-to-heart as they left the ice. Mr. Denis respected the confidentiality of the chat, but broadly implied that Mr. Gill brought his former protégé to account for his mistakes in the game. While Mr. Gill is slow as honey from the fridge, his presence and leadership are hard to sacrifice, and while he may not be talentwise properly in the top 6 of the defencemen on the roster when everyone is healthy again, he will be hard to keep off the ice. I’ve been advocating that he should be given occasional games off to rest, but I can see how Mr. Martin would be leery to willingly forego his services.

Overall, a salutary win for the Glorieux, but nothing to crow about, the ‘weak’ Islanders having pushed us right to the end. Let’s hope the Good Guys can play up to the Flyers on Thursday, who will be without Chris Pronger and Claude Giroux, and therefore more susceptible to surrender another important two points to the Canadiens.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Da Hema says:

I agree with your observations of Subban’s play. Since the wounded defencemen are slowly returning, and since Kaberle was acquired, I think Martin should reduce his ice time for now. Subban is not at the developmental stage yet where he can productively play 22-24 minutes a game. That’s too much for him at this point, in my opinion.

15. SlovakHab says:

Thanks to Al Montoya for 2 points..

16. arcosenate says:

I am not a survivor of abuse, but i have to back hickey on this, there is right and wrong and fleury needs to know that no matter what drug and alcohol state of mind he was in, giving james another sexual outlet by saying nothing is wrong, giving him access to kids is wrong. there are no winners here, nobody. But if i knew that someone had enabled more sexual abuse and it was my kid i would be asking fleury why he would have enabled it, sorry, here we are.

• WestHab says:

That is the way I saw it. If my kid was on that Hitmen team I’d be furious that Flurey was a part of an oragization that allowed James to coach teenagers after his own terrible experince with the man. I saw on the news here in Calgary that flurey has asked for Hickey to be fired. Pat tread into dangerous waters but he called it square.

• Sotxhabsfan says:

Fleury was one of 18 different owners, and James was also a Co-Owner. Keeping James from being involved would have meant Fleury coming out with information that he was not ready to divulge.
      Admittedly it’s scary to think of someone like James being not only the Coach, but GM and part owner. Who would a kid go to if he felt uncomfortable in a situation like that?
      But the story also shows how much power over a person the abuser has. After all those years, and even though Fleury was a professional hockey player who seemed fearless on the ice, he still couldn’t step up and say something to the other owners in order to keep James from coaching.
      I think Hickey was off base calling Fleury an enabler, and I was disappointed to hear him on 990 this afternoon as well.

• neumann103 says:

With respect, arcosenate I think you and WestHab need to consider the dynamic of the relationship the abuser creates. He is not some stranger in a raincoat holding out ice cream. He is a trusted mentor/authority/friend because he has earned it. James was apparently a pretty good hockey coach. Fleury and others undoubtedly came to feel he had improved them as hockey players, and cared about them as people, as we would hope a coach of youth would. Add that feeling that he is taking a special interest in them (and also likely the exclusive feeling that it is an special interest not shown to other peers) and crank up the manipulation and guilt and you have a recipe for abuse.

And the victim blaming himself.

Abuse like this is usually committed by a trusted family member or friend. Look at the wreckage of these situations and they are filled with self blaming victims who don’t want dad to go to jail, or mom to get a divorce or Uncle Phil to lose his job and be banned from all family events.

Is it really so hard to understand?

I get that it is not obvious or logical, but I don’t get paid to research such things before I shoot my mouth off and it doesn’t seem at all beyond comprehension.

And yes if I was a parent of kids under his supervision, I would be furious that someone did not put this guy away, but I think I would cut some slack for the victims.

“Et le but!”

17. Nitroslices says:

I thought Al Montoya was weak on 3 goals, but 2 points is 2 points. Eric Cole, AK46, Lars Eller played a solid game.

18. giants_habs says:

Finally put them away, I have never seen so many two goal leads blown in half a year. that being said, they won, they deserved to win. PP was dangerous all night. Happy about the win. Bring on Philly.

19. habsfan0 says:

Good thing Gill hit the empty net,otherwise, it would be an icing call with face-off deep in Habs’ territory of a 1 goal game.

20. sheds88 says:

Big two points tonight and maybe more importantly as mentioned before, none given to the opponent. But if Montoya plays like an NHL goalie tonight i don’t know if we would have won. Maybe we are starting to get some breaks. Erik Cole is beauty. It’s easy to get frustrated about how the year has been going so far but if guys like pleks, cammy and gionta get going, look out !

_______________________________________________________
    i don’t know why they keep comparing Carey Price to God………i mean he’s good, but he’s no Carey Price.

21. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I guess I am being lazy, but I’ll repeat My previous comment in the game-blog thread …”JJ must have ran-out naked into the snow to do some snow-angels” :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

22. jo_maka says:

This Larry Kid is a joy to watch. He definitely deserves better wingers. No need to break up the other lines if they’re still good for now, but he more than deserves it.
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

23. Habitant in Surrey says:

…PK, even when struggling is Our best defenceman Shiloh

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

24. boonie says:

I liked Campoli – he joined the rush and and aided the offense without any major gaffs.

25. habsfan0 says:

I have a hunch PK is still fighting the same injury which kept him out of all but one exhibition game.

26. Bill says:

Boone is indeed still crazy, after all these years.

Subban played over 26 minutes tonight. He’s a second-year player. He makes mistakes, but probably fewer than he made this time last year.

His goal-scoring has dropped off significantly, but he’s on pace for more assists than last year, actually. And defensively I think he’s better.

I don’t think you’re delusional at all, but I can’t agree that he’s playing like he’s lost. In many ways he’s a much more complete player now than last year, and certainly he has more responsibility.

Full Breezer 4 Life

27. Trisomy 21 says:

Once you see NYs first goal you’ll see who’s crazy

28. Alex says:

Welcome to the schoolyard, Moose. What can you say? Habs fans are passionate!

29. The Dude says:

Welcome and thank-you Moose! Your post was brilliant and brought tears too my eye’s. A gosh-darn work of Art and “if I may”,a post that too many others on this site could learn from ! Once again BRAVO!!!

30. Da Hema says:

Welcome!

But remember: hippos are better than moose. ;-)

31. habsnation says:

I think so too. Looked really slow to get up on a harmless play behind the habs net in the third

32. likehoy says:

too bad he doesn’t get an assist recorded for tonight’s opening goal.

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.