Video: First look at Heritage Classic

Using the latest in frozen handheld technology – forgive the shaky picture – Habs InsideOut’s Dave Stubbs gives you a quick look at the McMahon Stadium rink and sets the scene for tomorrow’s Heritage Classic between the Canadiens and Calgary Flames.

More video to come later from the Habs practice.

VT1LH_7cAO0

1. habstrinifan says:

Thanks Stubbs.

2. Hellfire_Habsfan says:

Nash send to Hamilton per twitter

3. WestHab says:

The hype is big locally for sure but really it would be way worse if this game was in toronto or Montreal.  Don’t read the hype if you don’t want to.

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic? See me in Section “i” row 20 seat 20.

4. Storm Man says:

The players are gobbling it up also :).

5. Bill H says:

I’ve have yet to watch one of these “heritage” games that are played in a football stadium.  Every year it seems like everyone gets all excited about it.  I don’t get it.  Its just another game.  Okay, a bit different for the players because they are playing outside and in front of a crowd that’s 2 or 3 times the size of a normal hockey arena seating capacity.

Is this not just the NHL crying out for attention, a PR gimmick, a way to sell tickets and increase tv ratings?  Its just another hockey game to me.  And yet, here we have 3 articles/threads started by HI/O staff in a matter of hours, and some posters here just gobbling it up.  So please, tell me what I am missing about this game.  The hype has been growing day-by-day over the past week.

6. Danno says:

Robert that page won’t come up, Carey’s mask photos are also here…

Edit. It’s coming up now. We need the hyperlink feature back

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

7. avatar_58 says:

Could have done without the eyes/mouth, looks kind of wacky/creepy lol

8. sg81 says:

Kovalev hasn’t been doing anything for the last couple years. He didn’t want to leave MTL but Ottawa offered him a lot more money so he had to take it. The thing is, even though he hasn’t been doing anything, he still has more goals than almost all the forwards on our team. Also, I think he has something like 6 goals in the last 8 games… See where this is going? The guy tries when he wants to, nobody can dispute that. He wants to get traded, all of a sudden he starts scoring. I guarantee Kovalev would love to come to MTL for a playoff run and would give it his all. He’s a UFA at the end of the season and we don’t have to re-sign him, but for a 3rd rounder, whoe else could we get? I would love to get him back.

9. Bill H says:

“The beauty about Kovalev is that you pay 4-5M for him but come playoff time he performs like a 7M player.”

Well, that would depend on which $7M player you are talking about.  I’d agree that he has the consistency of a Gomez, if that is what you mean.

Okay, sorry about that.  I couldn’t resist.  Yes, Kovy has averaged close to a point a game in the playoffs over his career.  That isn’t bad for a second line player.  But he turns 38 next week.  He ain’t got it no more.  And he doesn’t fit a team that succeeds with a system built on team defense.  Kovy doesn’t understand the word “team.”  I think he would be more of a distraction than an asset.  We need to look to the future, not the past.  And third round picks sometimes turn out well.  So I wouldn’t be so quick to trade picks for a guy that doesn’t fit anymore with the organization.

10. sg81 says:

FEB 19/11 ASSESSMENT:

Overview: When the trade deadline comes, any smart GM must determine whether or not sacrificing assets to make moves would turn the current team into a cup contender. Anything short of that, and you’re wasting assets. Therefore, to people who are on here criticizing Gauthier for not making any moves, consider this: Are the Habs 1 or 2 pieces away from winning the cup? I personally don’t think so, and therefore, I wouldn’t trade a 1st rounder and a player such as Pacioretty or PK for a rental player like Kaberle. Not only that, but with TB, Boston, Philly all dramatically improved, the odds of 1-2 moves giving us a drastically better chance are now even lower. If this team is to go far in the playoffs, it will be due to JM’s great defensive coaching system (I scoff at anyone who thinks he’s not a good coach, they know very little about hockey), Price’s goaltending, and opportunistic scoring. That being said, the Habs  have a clear need for a power forward, and either a powerplay quarterback defenseman or a bruising D-man to face Boston and Philly in the playoffs.

Defense: Wisniewski, PK, Gill, Hamrlik, Gill, Spacek, Weber, Picard, Mara. What’s missing here? A PP quaterback and a LOT of grit. When Hamrlik is your grittiest defenseman, you’re in big trouble. I love Gill, but his use of his size is embarrassing. Wisniewski was a great pickup for a 2nd rounder. PK is going to be a star and is getting better by the game. Spacek is nothing special, but he plays well in the playoffs and provides a steady presence. Mara is an atrocious player, and although I completely think a 5th rounder was a waste to rent Mara, I guess he may have some sort of presence in the locker room. Brewer would’ve fit in very nicely here and only cost a 3rd rounder and a lower level prospect. Neil would be a nice addition as well.

Offense:

MaxPac – Plek – Gionta
    Kovalev – Gomez – Cammy
    Pouliot – DD – AK46
    Darche – Moen – Halpern

If we can get Kovalev for a 3rd rounder or better, we should jump on that. Anyone who doesn’t think Kovy is worth a 3rd is out of their mind. The guy loves Montreal and Montreal loves him back. The thing about Kovalevy is that he plays BIG when it matters. I don’t care how he plays in Ottawa on a last place team. All that means is that I can acquire him for cheaper. Kovalev screwed himself over in his career as he could’ve made a lot more money if he had better regular seasons. The beauty about Kovalev is that you pay 4-5M for him but come playoff time he performs like a 7M player. I would take a chance on him in a second as he would completely anchor our second line. The only other player I’d take a shot on would be Arnott, but NJ is playing amazing lately and that trade would only get done on Feb 28 once NJ is sure they won’t make the playoffs. Penner may have size but he’s not that good a player and would probably not succeed in Montreal. He is certainly not worth a 1st rounder and a prospect, including picking up his high salary.

11. habstrinifan says:

You conclude your post by basically demonstrating that standing still is unacceptable and offer the same minimal-cost solutions that MOST who have criticised PG are making. Very few are suggesting tha PG STARTS “sacrificing assets to make moves would turn the current team into a cup contender”. Just get into the fray and try and make some low cost moves and let the team fly or fall after that. But just DONT DO NOTHING!

12. Storm Man says:

Boston….. LOL

13. Kooch7800 says:

According to Bob McKenzie Souray is coming up on re-entry waivers. someone is picking him up it seems

14. habstrinifan says:

Hope it aint the habs.

15. Storm Man says:

Nice video Stubbs, I see my seats had a shadow on them. That tells me great weather for Sunday now ;).

16. Danno says:

Is the Wiz on the ice for the practice?

Thanks for the report Mr. Stubbs, excellent as usual.

Edit – Just saw a shot of him on RDS with full facial protection – caged helmet.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

17. Rainrocket16 says:

Should be very exciting! Enjoy the game all of my fellow Habs fans who are lucky enough to attend. I will be snug and cozy on the Central Coast of California watching this one  with the family.

Go Habs Go!!!

18. Velavok says:

No habs game on a saturday night is scrambling my brain.

Thanks for the report Dave.

19. HotHabs says:

Good job, Stubbs!  There’s a career yet for you in video!  But, seriously, these types of ‘personalized’ video clips are a nice addition and welcome in the future.

thanks