Video: Eventful night ends in win for Koivu

Pat Hickey’s game story and Quotes from the room

Quick Hits and  About last night …

Former Canadiens captain Saku Koivu has been living a whirlwind of emotions the past few days, returning to the city he called home for 14 years to play his first game against the Habs.

Koivu spent six minutes in the penalty box, allowing the Canadiens two power-play goals, but hit the showers as the game’s second star – surely the first if it hadn’t gone past regulation time, meaning the scorer of the winner automatically is No. 1.

Here’s a little video from a crazy media scrum outside the Ducks’ room as Koivu tries to put the night and this trip into perspective, and coach Randy Carlyle offers his thoughts.

PpB4EH43g5s

1. Julie H says:

Agreed. I think he was even more honored by the fact that his NEW teammates had the respect to leave the ice and give him centre stage. And after the way the fans showed their respect, I hope everyone who calls us class-less thinks twice. I hope any player on the Ducks who thought “I don’t want to go there, they treat their players like crap” realizes how much love we had/have for Koivu and how the bond isn’t broken just because managment screwed up.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

2. showey47 says:

The islanders can’t trade a player they claimed on waivers. If nabokov refuses to play for the islanders the team only has 2 options. 1) suspend him without pay or 2)place him on waivers again.

3. LA Loyalist says:

Even I got that he was joking with the Breezer bit, and I’m thick as the gravy on a french fry :)

4. punkster says:

I was all teary-eyed in my livingroom and from the comments of others I know who were there it was a fitting acknowledgement of an active player. I’d love to see the organization throw a special post-retirement fete one night though I’d bet Saku would want it low key, maybe even with a charitable/fund raising element linked. He’s a special man.

***Subbang!!!***

5. fbkj says:

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

6. TripleX says:

I have a feeling Gainey was behind it.  I hope so, I agree that if Geoff Molson was to blame the franchise is in bad hands.  I doubt Mr. Gillette would have been so insensitive.

Why the bad blood between Gainey and Koivu?  Gainey snubbed him two years ago when he only notified Saku two days before the deadline that he was not in their plans.  They did not know months before?

The ultimate snub was for Gainey to actively court Kovalev while he ignored the captain?  Don’t get it?

“I don’t like to keep kids like that out of the lineup. They need to play; that’s how they’re going to get better.” Jacques Martin

7. fbkj says:

cannot speak for stubbs if he was there or not, everyone i spoke to last night was thrilled, i saw tears and a HELL of a lot of people in koivu jerseys, throughout the game, in between periods, outside in the smoking section, in the concession lines, with grinns from ear to ear… so if he WAS at the game then ive got beef with the guy for making ya’ll freak out over a non issue… AGAIN… and would suggest he take a look around and guage public reaction instead of keepin his nose glued to his twitter 😛 (edit: missed this the first time out “The crowd impromptu standing ovation saved management’s miscue.” oh wow okay so if this is what you think happened then no wonder your pissed… the crowds reaction was NOT impromptu, we were reaction to, during the end of o canada they put up koivu from his return game, when he was then standing during the o canada, with his hair still missing from the chemo… thats all management had to do and it was SLICK!)

8. TripleX says:

I admit I held back on criticizing it last night because of my love for Saku.  Emotions can sometimes cloud objectivity.

But when Dave Stubbs basically said the same thing, that more should have been done.  Well I believe my initial thoughts were dead on.

I imagine Mr. Stubbs was also in attendance and did not share your views on the so called tribute.

I thought it trivialized Saku’s importance to the franchise and that the crowd at least gave him tribute that management deemed he did not deserve.  The crowd impromptu standing ovation saved management’s miscue.

9. fbkj says:

management more than acknowledged the guy last night, putting HIM on the jumbotron from when he came back from cancer during the national anthem was THRILLING… the crowd went balistic, thats what truly started the ovation

10. TripleX says:

Saku is in the top ten in scoring of all time for the Canadiens.

No one is talking about number retirements, as even Saku said he is not worthy of it.

What we are talking about is some acknowledgment by management, that he was more than just a regular player to the franchise, the city and the fans.

Comparing Saku to the Breezer shows your lack of gravitas.

11. TripleX says:

Awkward?

Since when is it ok not to do the right thing because it might make some feel awkward?

Saku did a lot for the city of Montreal and the franchise.  For those of my generation ,Saku WAS the Montreal Canadiens.  We have not witnessed a Stanley Cup, but we were privileged to see the career of a great player wearing the CH.

Saku is not just any player who happened to wear the jersey.  He was the captain for ten years and is in the top ten of all time scorers for the franchise.

Awkward?  When a close friend or family member suffers a loss ,it is often awkward to know what to do, or say.  But the right thing is to do, or say something.  The awkwardness is nothing compared to knowing you have demonstrated you care and they are in your thoughts.

Saku deserved more than a picture on the scoreboard after the anthems.  Saku was slighted once again and that is terrible, but he will get over it.  The damage to the image of this franchise as one with class and that cares about its legacy is more tragic.  Who was management protecting by not allowing Saku his well deserved moment?

BOO on PG, BG, Boivin and especially Geoff Molson.  Uncle George would have not have let this slight happen.

12. jimmy shaker says:

Ummm, sure….make mine a seabreeze…..them are good!

13. TomNickle says:

The point I’m making is that if he says he doesn’t want a big deal made it’s only because he’s being humble and gracious.  You did it anyway because no player is going to be insulted by you doing it or upset at you for honoring them.

14. TomNickle says:

I was there too, and anybody with a dry eye that night is a robot.

15. TomNickle says:

I really don’t care what they didn’t do for Roy.  They should have done something last night.

16. ZepFan2 says:

“Together we stand, divided we fall.”

17. Matt_in_TO says:

Perhaps Saku asked that nothing be done.  He’s always been very humble and almost embarrassed by that sort of thing.

– In Price We Trust

18. G-Man says:

The scorer of the SO winner is automatically the game’s 1st star. So, nobody in management is to blame. The fans vote on the stars at the Bell Centre games.

Koivu showed he has missed a step and took the 3 penalties he deserved. As a player, he never was more than a 2nd line center. As a man he’s an All-Star and Hall of Famer.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

Agree, something should’ve been done.

20. TomNickle says:

Stubbs tweeting about how poorly the team handled Koivu’s return.  I couldn’t agree more.  I don’t think his jersey should be retired, I’m not on the “he’s the best captain ever” bandwagon and I don’t think that the excuses that are made for him in here on a daily basis are justified.

However, great man, excellent hockey player and the team should have done a much better job of honoring him last night.  No video tribute, no plaque commemorating his time in Montreal, no formal thank you from management.  This could have taken as little as five minutes prior to puck drop and for some reason wasn’t done.  I completely disagree with it.  I don’t know if this was Geoff Molson’s call or Pierre Boivin’s call, but regardless, whoever should have honored him and neglected to should be ashamed of themselves and should question how in touch with this franchise and its fan base they are.