Video: Eventful night ends in win for Koivu

Pat Hickey’s game story and Quotes from the room

Quick Hits and  About last night …

Former Canadiens captain Saku Koivu has been living a whirlwind of emotions the past few days, returning to the city he called home for 14 years to play his first game against the Habs.

Koivu spent six minutes in the penalty box, allowing the Canadiens two power-play goals, but hit the showers as the game’s second star – surely the first if it hadn’t gone past regulation time, meaning the scorer of the winner automatically is No. 1.

Here’s a little video from a crazy media scrum outside the Ducks’ room as Koivu tries to put the night and this trip into perspective, and coach Randy Carlyle offers his thoughts.

PpB4EH43g5s

1. 24moreCups says:

I agree, also I can’t seem to make paragraphs no matter how much spaces I put between. When I post it all just bunched together.

2. fbkj says:

the ovation at the beginning was brought on by what management displayed on the jumbotron, last night, was amazing, its all about opinion at the end of the day, but as much as stubbs and others will say that more was needed, im going to stick to my guns by saying it was juuuuuuust right… and beautiful

3. observer says:

Flyers lose Saturday to Devils, play on national NBC TV today in Chicago, then Habs visit them in Philly on Tuesday in huge game for the Habs before the All-Star break. Huge if Habs are going to move up closer in the standings and also away farthur from Carolina.

4. fbkj says:

what do you propose they should have done then, a five minute video montage of koivu as a hab, while hes standing there in his ducks jersey, about to try to help his team defeat the habs? thats more awkward than it is classy…

5. BKAK72 says:

Anybody read the story (buried) about Komisarek out in L.A.?

After watching him get sacked by Lucic and floating around the Toronto “D” now it doesn’t surprise me that he vents frustration on a woman.  BTW Komisarek is not 6’4″ and 245 lbs, he is more close to 6’1″ and (max) 200 lbs.  I know this b/c I met him in Toronto last year and I’m bigger than he is.

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

6. mp says:

I agree with Stubbs.

The Habs are known for the classy ceremonies but they definitely dropped the ball on this one. I event had friends texting me(they know I’m a huge Saku fan) wondering why there wasn’t a video/tribute/something.

At least the fans showed their appreciation, that ovation at the beginning was awesome.

7. Julie H says:

Agreed. I think he was even more honored by the fact that his NEW teammates had the respect to leave the ice and give him centre stage. And after the way the fans showed their respect, I hope everyone who calls us class-less thinks twice. I hope any player on the Ducks who thought “I don’t want to go there, they treat their players like crap” realizes how much love we had/have for Koivu and how the bond isn’t broken just because managment screwed up.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

8. Storm Man says:

Nice picks I have the same for today;).

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

9. fbkj says:

dude you were there… you thought MORE should have been done?

Who was that goof last night.?

11. fbkj says:

lorne, back off bro, saku is my alltime favorite hab, last night was absolutely beatiful and is a moment up there with the best of them that ill never forget, ive been in such a great mood all day because of what i witnessed last nite, i realize you have a knee jerk reaction to criticize for the sake of criticizing, but what happened last nite must have really translated poorly to the tv viewer, because it was nothing less than perfect

12. munch17 says:

Eller makes one mistake  – couldn’t get the puck in deep on the boards – play goes back and up as flukey goal – no lack of effort on Eller’s part. Then doesn’t play the rest of the game. JM will do to him what he did to SK 74.

13. showey47 says:

The islanders can’t trade a player they claimed on waivers. If nabokov refuses to play for the islanders the team only has 2 options. 1) suspend him without pay or 2)place him on waivers again.

14. punkster says:

Lorne, I will not sling back. I will only point out that a) the Breeze comment was clearly a jest that did not deserve a slight from you particularly if you had understood the rest of my comment and b) as fbkj alludes to the time to lionize and idolize him is after his retirement in a fitting ceremony and not simply before a regular league game. Chill man, he’ll get his ceremony one day. This is Montreal after all.

***Subbang!!!***

15. TomNickle says:

Doesn’t matter what he says.  He said after the game the ovation was a great feeling.  You honor him anyway.  No excuse for it.

16. Julie H says:

EXACTLY! I was at Kovalev’s first game back. Aside from loud ovations from the fans, no acknoledgment from the Habs organization whatsoever. I was worried that they would screw up again this time. That image of Koviu from 2002 made more than a few people shed tears and the arena literally errupted in cheers. I think they realized that if they didn’t do something, the fans might cause a raucous.

17. Graves says:

So Tom Kostopoulos not only won a fight last night, but won it by TKO. I’m pretty sure that means the apocalypse is nigh. As for the game last night, I thought the referees ruined what could have been a great match-up. There were bizarre calls and non-calls that went against both teams all night long, which really cut the flow of the game off at the knees. Loved seeing the Habs storm back to tie it late in the third though, and the ovation(s) for Koivu were great.

Has anyone ever heard of a referee being fined or fired for incompetence. I have been around hockey for 60 years and I have seen a lot of stuff. But last night was right up there with the worst phantom and made up calls that I have witnessed. Finishing off with a made up call on Pouliot’s great back check play.

How is this terrible refereeing dealt with at the league level, or is it just swept under the rug. Does somebody really pay a guy to make calls like that under the table.

I don’t even know who the referees were, but they don’t even converse after such a call, so the two of them must be on the same take.

19. HabFanSince72 says:

Your team got the two points last night.

No need to rub it in.

20. Oddball says:

“If it moves, shoot it, if it don’t, chop it down”

..always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves..

21. fbkj says:

i was blown away at seeing him on the jumbotron when he returned from cancer, the vibe in that building was otherworldly