Video: Canadiens blank Leafs 3-0

There’s something about Saturday hockey that, the past two weeks at least, is agreeing with the Canadiens.

The Habs blanked the Toronto Maple Leafs 3-0 at the Bell Centre, following last Saturday’s 2-0 whitewash of the New York Rangers.

Both perfect games improved the statistics of Montreal goalie Carey Price, who tonight recorded the sixth shutout of the season and the 10th of his NHL career.

Here are comments postgame of Price, and below the words of teammates David Desharnais, the game’s first star; third-star Benoit Pouliot; and rookie callup Ryan White.

Outside the dressing room after the game, forward Michael Cammalleri said he had skated earlier in the day for the second consecutive day as he continues to mend a separated shoulder.

JQkGrKiju2Y

1. gK_HabsFan says:

I think i agree with everything you just said!  As of now, it looks as if Subban is going to have to fight to earn any respect in this league.  Which concerns me a little bit, cuz i don’t wanna see the most exciting player we’ve had in decades to be constantly fighting with morons on other teams.  He plays a more prominent role on our team, then the guys who are calling him out on their respective teams.  Now i don’t really like the idea of having an enforcer on the team, but i see a need in this situation. Having a tough guy that makes minimum salary may not necessarily be a bad idea.  The guy can sit in the pressbox when not needed, and play against teams that seem to target Subban and some of our smaller players.  Someone like Paul Bisonnette in Pheonix, who makes minimum salary, and is a good team guy!

-GK-

2. dre1744 says:

dont get me wrong here I like PK but doesn’t he always look clumsy when he throws punches like he throws a haymaker usually misses and then almost falls over.

I think when he learns not too be so clumsy he will start kicking some ass!!!!!!

3. RiverviewCanadien says:

His control has been impressive. The plays he generates from behind the net…unbelievable at times how well he sees the ice.

4. shootdapuck says:

What do you expect?

Colin Campbell doesn’t deal with games featuring his kid but one of his underlings does!

Think for one second that anyone with a cushy NHL job  is going to cross his boss? Not for a second!

This system is about impartial as an Egyptian election! You know the winner before a single vote is cast.

The only way the NHL can fix this incredible situation is to remove Campbell or remove the discipline function from Campbells’ job description until his kid is playing in Europe.

“I only like to watch and takes notes” JM

5. Top Corner says:

Lupul should learn fast…that he got traded to a terrible team…

6. habs001 says:

we need to win tues vs the sabres as after that game we have played 6 more home games..

7. Rainrocket16 says:

Well said! I know I am preaching to the choire but hell it needs to be said!

8. ths says:

Just got off the phone with Mr Campbell and he said if this comment is not retracted this site will be shutdown and Boone never gonna suck on another Bell Centre hotdog.

9. ths says:

Definitley racism at work here. He’s getting way more negative attention than he deserves.

He is talented young and flamboyant. So what ? I find him generally respectiful of the game and his position.

These chumps want him to do more singin’ while he’s slavin’.

I could just imagine if he fought Campbells boy never mind an elbow pad he would bring out the whip and daddy wouldnt do anything.

10. jimmy shaker says:

In all honesty though, two guys wearing visors are supposed to take off their lids before they tussle…..another unwritten rule.  It did look like PK was going to take off his lid and when he saw Lupel doing the same, he stopped and kind of jumped him.  The replay shows it quite clear.  All the other crap that’s been said about PK has just been that, CRAP!  But tonight Lupel does have a point, I’m afraid to admit!  Just keepin it real and honest!

Shaker

11. punkster says:

Watch the replay again and in slow motion if you can. PK starts to remove his visor first and when Lupal starts to remove his own he reaches out and tries to hit Subban with his other hand before Subban hits him. In real time it happens so quick but replays like the one on TSN only freeze on Lupal showing his hand on his visor. I think the whole thing happens so quickly neither guy was ready.

***Subbang!!!***

12. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Bill Berg on the NHL network said it best, he said that Lupal should have been backing up while he was taking off his helmet, instead, he was skating towards PK, what else was he supposed to do? PK started throwing them. He went on to say that it was just sour grapes, not only did his team lose, but he really didn’t fare too well in the fight.

13. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I liked White’s play in front of the net on Poulio’s goal, he drew the 2 leafs on him, while Benny was all alone!

14. LA Loyalist says:

I didn’t see the Iles / Pens game – can any of you guys who saw both (Habs/Beaners — I’lls/Pens – “compare and contrast” as they said in school) explain why the later required massive NHL intervention and ours got squat attention excepting of course the predominating theory of nepotistic influence?

Just want to be fair before leaping to conclusions from the top of Mount Royal.

15. LA Loyalist says:

We don’t want PK fighting.

All he needs to do is sprain his wrist on some doink’s helmut.

Let’s stick to goalie fights, where at least we have some depth… oh crap, never mind.

16. LA Loyalist says:

We wish we could have got Lupul, we didn’t have the depth to trade for him.

Aside from a certain amount of risk coming off his weird illness he’s exactly the kind of player we need. 6′ 1″ about 205″ (not sure about his weight since his comeback), he goes to the net in traffic and scores.

What a concept.

17. LA Loyalist says:

In real time it all happens so quickly and this epidemic of fighting kind of just happened. It’s not like Lupul and PK are the designated hitters.

18. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Don’t you already have Getzlaf and Perry for that?

19. Top Corner says:

Lupuls comments made no F. sense.  “i mean i like the guy , love his style and what he brings to the game….just think guys will soon stop giving him the benifit of the doubt”…..WTF?!?!?!?!!?

Everytime teams lose they WHINE about Subban……that means we got a gem boys and girls…we WIN!

20. SeriousFan09 says:

How Montreal is doing in the East:

Northeast Division: 12-4-1 on the season.

4-1-0 against Ottawa (Won)

3-0-1 against Buffalo

3-1-0 against Boston

2-2-0 against Toronto

Atlantic Division : 9-7-1

3-0-0 against Rangers (Won)

2-1-1 against Islanders (Split)

1-2-0 against New Jersey

1-3-0 against Philidelphia (Lost)

2-1-0 against Pittsburgh

Southeast Opponents: 5-5-1

0-1-1 against Tampa Bay

2-1-0 against Florida

1-1-0 against Washington

0-2-0 against Atlanta

2-0-0 against Carolina

Canadiens still have a chance to at least split all remaining series up in the air.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

21. Rainrocket16 says:

So…The NHL deals a huge blow to the Isles for beating up the Pens huh! Yet Boston gets absolutely nothing handed down to them for non-stop agressively attacking our team when we clearly showed no exertion to fight. Pyatt with multiple cuts due to a flying pad used as a weapon, Spacek getting beat down and defenseless. It pisses me off that The Pens are always the center of attention in the NHL. Such a digrace to the game of hockey! I know the Isles are not innocent at all, but why was there nothing said about the Habs-Bruins game other than it was EPIC!?

And what the hell is going on with Gill?

I hope Crosby returns and gets drilled on the first play. Pussberg Femguins are not gonna make the playoffs!!!

22. db says:

I figured after the 5th time with 5 minutes to go that Carey was actually going to score a goal :p

CBC had a hard on all night for Kessel… it was ridiculous.  I miss RDS and 7pm starts but I don’t miss the snow, so I’ll stay on the west coast for now.. wearing my colours with pride.

23. g says:

yeah, thats my take on it as well

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

24. Rainrocket16 says:

Really!!?………….

“league disciplinarian Colin Campbell said after conducting hearings in Buffalo. “The message should be clear to all players: targeting the head of an opponent by whatever means will be dealt with by suspension.”,”

He forgot to add only if it is against a team who holds a high financial investment rating with the NHL or its affiliates!! Where is the suspension then on Andrew Ference and Greg Campbell…oops I forgot!

25. Chuck says:

Just watching the replay on Canadiens Express, and I’m really impressed with how Price makes the game a lot easier on himself by not giving up a lot of difficult secondary scoring chances. He either sucks up the puck, giving no rebound, or steers the shot harmlessly away from the closest Leaf.

26. aemarchand11 says:

Feb 24th ill be at the next game between the leafs and habs. Im kinda hoping we aquire some beef so we can lay down the body on them, while potting…4 or 5 goals :D

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

27. gK_HabsFan says:

On TSN:

Newly acquired Leaf Joffrey Lupul was not happy that Montreal defenceman P.K. Subban started throwing punches before he got his visored helmet off when the two went at it with seven seconds left in the first period.

“I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt this time that he didn’t see, but eventually he’ll stop getting the benefit of the doubt,” said Lupul. “I don’t have any problem with him, but his name keeps coming up in the media and eventually he’ll stop getting the benefit of the doubt.

“He’s got a lot to learn.”

WOOW!… Dumbest thing i’ve heard tonight

-GK-

28. christophor says:

Look, guys, you have to admit it wasn’t pretty. Lupul had his hands on his helmet, taking it off. You don’t wait to get punched but you shouldn’t punch a guy while he’s taking off his helmet.

I’m sure I’ll get an earful for this. Tried to point it out on the other thread.

29. RiverviewCanadien says:

F_CK Lupul!
    F_CK the Leafs!

Poor sports, you got owned tonight!

30. slapshot777 says:

That’s the problem it’s the media. Everyone who seems to have a problem with PK goes crying to the media. Then all of a sudden the next player has an excuse. I watched the fight a few times, and never once did I see Lupul get an unfair advantage in the fight. PK never jumped him and if you look at the fight again Lupul still has his helmet on when the fight starts. he never took his helmet off.

I don’t know what the problem is with the players in the NHL, playing against PK, are they jealous of his talent? Like what is the problem? Lupul, to me is pissed that he lost the fight to a rookie. I know for me and I hope that I am wrong. I am not racist or prejudice, but I wonder if the problem with PK could be the colour of his skin. He is a very talented player and for a coloured player in the NHL he is very talented maybe he will be one of the most talented in the NHL.

Knowing that the NHL is an old boys club, and that the players have their groups and you could see that in the All Star Draft that the players talk amongst themselves and this is where the problem lies. No good looking at the NHL for help with regards to Boyce shooting the puck at PK.

This is wrong and if the NHL is fair if you listen to Colin Campbell, then Boyce should have something whether it be a fine or suspension. Let’s just see, but Pk seems like he will always have to fight his way through this crap and lets just hope he is strong enough to do it.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

31. Mark C says:

This trade is even better than I initially thought, Burke added another player that fits in perfectly with his team’s loser mentality and team culture.

32. blu3chip says:

I see Lupul transformed into a Leaf rather swiftly.

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Secret NHL rulebook requires Habs to wait to get punched in the face before they can fight back.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

34. Propwash says:

Ok, so let’s get this straight, if one gets to a fight, one has to wait till the first punch is thrown. Jeez, there won’t be any fighting going on! Campbell, are you listening!!!??

35. deuce6 says:

If anyone has a problem with this tilt, they should watch what Matt Martin did to Talbot in the NYI/PITT game last night…PK was just sticking up for himself…Fuckoff, Lupul…Nobdy cares what you think…

Great win by the Habs tonight, but we still lack grit…

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

36. observer says:

i’d like to see another shutout 3rd this year against them here so cole could talk about worsley again.

37. observer says:

exactly! and it has nothing to do with race! yeah right!

38. observer says:

exactly. besides he’s already near as strong as anyone in this league and will get stronger.

39. observer says:

what else would you expect? they were talking about something habs had not done at home to toronto(2 shutouts in a year) since when vachon and worsley were the goaltenders.

40. Da Hema says:

Ah. So we ought to pity Lupal. That’s reasonable given that now (a) he is playing for one of the worst franchises in professional sports, and (b) must live in Toronto. I do pity him on both counts.

41. D Alcorn says:

Lupul’s problem is two-tiered : (i) he just got out of Hollywood, where they like to follow scripts, and (ii) he just got to Toronto, where they like to follow scripts.  This little scrap didn’t go according to the script, and so he whines because (ii) he just got to Toronto, …

Knowledgeable hockey fans stopped making excuses for the poor excuse of a hockey franchise he is with now a long time ago, so young Joffrey should take a breath and give some thought to putting a lid on it.  He is living a new hockey reality now, and it’s called losing.

ALWAYS Habs – D Mex

42. slapshot777 says:

here is a replay of the fight again with Subban and Lupul. If you look both players are reaching for their chin straps and that’s it then they both engage in the fight. Pk knocks off Lupuls helmet first then Subbans comes off later. Lupul’s problem is he got man handled by a Rookie Subban. Must hurt the ego.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

43. Da Hema says:

I can’t figure out the inordinate amount of negative publicity Subban receives. In other (professional) leagues, their executives and owners do everything they can to market and boost their fine young players. Not for PK I guess. Why are so many players criticising Subban, and yet they are silent about players like Matt Cooke? Are NHL players really as stupid as they seem to the rest of us? I can’t say I was completely comfortable with what Subban did, but at least he didn’t use his elbow pad to beat the shit out Tomas Kaberle as some others players and teams would do.

44. slapshot777 says:

They said he skated by himself today but no timetable as to his return.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

45. kmachabs27 says:

any word on Cammmy?????

46. Seps says:

Was it just me, or in the last few minutes did the CBC announcers say the word “shutout” an abnormal amount of times…

Nice try idiots.

47. habstrinifan says:

Like the part re ‘look themselves in the mirror again’. I am happy for the team that a) they won: b) beat the Leafs: c)shutout: d)had a player answer the bell

Little better feeling sleeping tonight. Hope PG’s working on a deal for at least two players… one offense and one defense.

Please Please let Max Pac be ok.

And oh yeah.. White wont be going back to Hamilton… I dont think.

48. StevieM61 says:

Every game is full of its own special ref bullshit.

Leafs suck at defense, we have speed…we win..

I watched 3 penalties not called on the leafs…whatever

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

49. StevieM61 says:

At leasst P.K. asnwered the call tonight.might change a few opinions.Don Cherry at least . .

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

50. slapshot777 says:

Hopefully Pacorietty will be fine, I still can’t believe that Schenn never gort a boarding penalty. Also the league should take a look at what Boyce did late in the game with shooting the puck ar Subban.

The Habs needed this tonight and looked themselves in the mirror. Tied with Washington at 68 points. After all the talk of the Bruins game the Habs again are only 1 point behind and if Detroit can do us a favor by beating Boston tomorrow, we’ll be breathing down their necks again. Keep the petal to the metal guys.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

51. GhostRider says:

I agree with you whole heartedly.  That said, he also needs the chance to be on one of the top lines.  He’s potted a dozen this year playing on the bottom 6 with no PP time…given the chance I fully think he can do better.

On that note, the Travis-Moen-on-the-top-two-lines-experiment must end NOW.  It just doesn’t work, and we have far better options anyways **cough**Pouliot**cough**.

52. observer says:

he’s put on some weight and is even throwing it around lately. not scared to fight. that trade last year is not looking too bad now.

53. StevieM61 says:

No- Leafs defence just sucks..We need bigger bodies  . . .period..

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

54. Wayne says:

Last year, I used to rip Pouliot to shreds. This year, he’s of course, stepped up nicely and improved his game. But I’ll say this, from day one with the Habs, I’ve noticed he’s got the skills. That’s why I was tough on him. My feeling is, if he adopted Pleks’ “offseason model” to improve his mental game, with a little self-belief, he could be one of the best in the league. He’s got it.

55. fbkj says:

lol

i like you dude

i just hate your suggestions, but id invite you to my bd party

56. jimmy shaker says:

nope, you can rack that game up to marty, vinny, mab and mostly due to rolly the goalie!

Cheers,

Shaker

57. jimmy shaker says:

Easy now.  He does have a big nose though, that should count for something!

Shaker

58. Mark C says:

Great utilization by Guy, MAB got 4 minutes of even strength time tonight in a game that went to OT. I have nothing against MAB, given the need and the right role he is a very valuable NHL player.

59. HabFanSince72 says:

Wasn’t MAB almost single-handedly responsible for Tampa getting blown out by the Sabres in their last game?

60. Mark C says:

Yeah, that’s why he should be given about 4 minutes of ES time a game, he’s great on the PP if the team needs a shooter from the right point.

61. fbkj says:

a fruity one dimensional east end montrealer with staple underbite?

shhhhhhhhhhshhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaker

i nearly killed her

62. sidhu says:

Funny clip of Benny looking bombarded by all the questions at the same time

63. Chuck says:

Nothing like a little prop comedy at the hockey game!  :)

64. Da Hema says:

Boone will not like that.

65. StevieM61 says:

Chantall the hooker says “Look at my sexy leather boots”

Oh……Did the Habs win?

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

66. Wayne says:

Thanks for the Vids Dave. Quite the archive we’re building here… good stuff.

67. _Habsoloutly_ says:

uhhhh Cherry praised Lupol for fighting PK.  Don’t hold your breath waiting for Don to start liking anything Montreal.

68. db says:

Its a sound investement.  Go to 2 games, sell one….you’ll break even ;)

69. fbkj says:

robert i just have to decide if i wanna fork over the cash, they are reserved for me, gonna wait and see

70. blu3chip says:

How dare you bad mouth those beloved ex-Habs?!

Focus in whining about current Habs problems and yelling “only PG is stupid enough to let [insert ex-Habs name] go for nothing!”.

Don’t forget to add “Halak >>> Price” in the end of each post.

71. jimmy shaker says:

and who got the winner for the bolts while playing a very conservative 12 minutes, finishing +1?  I’ll leave it at that…..

Shaker

72. Mark C says:

Halak has been pulled, again.

How about Guy Boucher’s team blowing a two goal lead with under a minute left. Regardless of the win, image all the crap JM would take if that happened here.

73. ZepFan2 says:

lol

The pipe adds a little class, no?!

———————————————————————— “Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.” ~Serge Savard~

74. Chuck says:

The Green Guys in Vancouver brought their A game tonight.

75. StevieM61 says:

Looking over my last my last post .Spelled opinion wrong.. Crap happens..

I am a standard anglo dude ( maybe 50-60% bilingual) but  insist on watching every game on RDS.And have been doing so for more years than I care to remember…

Boone .  . If I have offended you ….Sorry..nothing personal…

I have sworn off tequilla since the last cup…had to drink a shot for every goal and had to drink a double for every overtime goal..13 overtime games in 92-93 season ??

wife has not forgiven me yet

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

76. Da Hema says:

Kind of funny actually. Boone will still be displeased. Boone’s keyboard drools everytime he sees her.

77. StevieM61 says:

My Bad

Did not think I exceeded boundaries . .  are opininions outlawed  ?

She just pins the “honestly –  put someone who knows something here ” meter . . .

Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

78. RS says:

The best thing about the Habs this year is that the kids (including the four interviewed here) plus PK, Patches and even Eller and Weber are contributing.

79. Chuck says:

We need to make sure that you have a ticket for March 8th.  ;)

80. SeriousFan09 says:

Someone hook this guy up with playoff tickets.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

81. fbkj says:

My record is now 12-1-1

pwnage

also i grabbed a bunch of those golf things on the seats, for what purpose… not sure… but i have em

um

82. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

A positive post on Habs management? OK, who are you? And what did you do with Tony?