Video: Cammy, Sopel question marks?

Canadiens forward Michael Cammalleri and defenceman Brent Sopel took therapy days, not skating at Brossard practice on a rotten Montreal winter’s day.

Questioned about their status for tomorrow’s game vs. the Boston Bruins, head coach Jacques Martin waffled a little, not coming right out and saying both are fine and would be available. Audio to come on that soon.

Most of the Habs were on the indoor soccer field a few ticks past 10 am, the practice schedule putting all but Cammalleri, Sopel and Mathieu Darche on the Brossard rink.

Renaud Lavoie of RDS reported that Darche, said to be rehabbing a groin injury, was back on the ice for the first time in 20 days, well before the team. Darche wasn’t on the rink by the time we arrived at 10 am, but the blue line was heavily scratched. Whoever had skated wasn’t using the whole rink.

JjFrSvsJ5kM

1. Castor says:

Cammy took a puck in the leg last game and I was worried until I saw him back on the ice a few minutes later. It’s probably due to that. Hopefully he’s good to go. I was just thinking “last Boston game we scored six goals and we didn’t even have Cammy”

2. wd40 says:

Whaat?  Sopel HAS to play.. we need to keep this streak ALIVE!

3. G-Man says:

Really nice seeing Dubinsky kick Richards’ ass. See him turtle when his VISORED helmet came off?

4. Hobie Hansen says:

“Carkner’s abilities weren’t enough to allow his team to even make the playoffs, let alone to serve as an example as to who WE should sign.”

Ok now that is plain stupid!!!

Was Carkner supposed to single handedly lift the Sens into the playoffs???

Carkner is just as good if not better than Sopel and Rupp is as good as a player as Pyatt, White or probably  Darche!

5. Omit says:

Hobie,

Hockey is not even comparable to the physical punishment of playing football.  Orthepedic surgeons who have attended football games for the first time at field level are shocked when a player can even get up after the hits and tackles.  They can’t believe that the human body can absorb that amount of punishment.

The problem is the armor they wear. Soften up the equipment to be protective instead of assault weapons, alter the boards and glass to have a little more give, a few more rule changes, competent referees actually calling the infractions, and a serious approach by the league to discipline excessive violence, and we would see injuries reduced.

6. Psycho29 says:

Luckily, he misplaced his Spice Girls CD…

:-)

7. ed lopaz says:

we can’t afford Spacek’s salary – as the 6th d-man in the post above.

so, yes, dollars are a big part of every discussion.

the other part is getting the right mix of players in the lineup.

Spacek gives the team ZERO in terms of toughness,

and I believe this team needs to beef up its #6 d-man to add some physical presence, toughness.

In my assessment, the #6 d-man should be a Carkner type of d-man.

8. andrewberkshire says:

Sure he can, rather easily. Montreal eliminated the biggest team in the NHL (Washington) and the most physical team in the NHL (Pittsburgh) last season. They weren’t beat by Philadelphia’s tough guys, they were beat by a fantastic defensive scheme and fast, small, skilled players like Giroux and Briere.

9. JD_ says:

* Technically speakin’, the snowfall in Montreal is far from WallopWorthy™. It’s more of a generous dustin’. Apparently, however, it was just enough to confuse some people around here, you know, with regards to really, really complicated exercises like clearin’ the snow off their vehicle…*cough*

* Again, I’m expectin’ Mara and White in tomorrow night, and that’s about it. I’d be really surprised – note this is about expectations - to see more than one head-to-head, if at all. More concerned that the Habs maintain their discipline. Call it what you want, but I’ve got one real desire for tomorrow night: The Habs play well enough to chase Timmy T. from the nets, Centennial Game-style. Whatever the case, it should be far from Florida Pantherian.

* Colour me not on board the Skillsie bandwagon. Hal’s got a ton of nerve makin’ a late-season run for the Maurice Richard Trophy when the team really needs him to focus on the defensive end of things. It is no wonder his protege is so disrespectful towards the league and its institutions.

* Speakin’ of said protege, I understand that Poindexter Bentley was, in fact, at the heart of the melee between Richards and Dubinsky durin’ yesterday’s NY Sathers blowout. Seems the guys were chirpin’ at each other, tryin’ to take credit for bein’ the biggest douchebag to whine and bawl like a petulant child about PK in front of a willin’ reporter. Then it came to blows. No confirmation on reports Joffrey Lupul was in the stands and had to be restrained from jumpin’ into the fray by a security guard.

* Was gonna peruse Jack Frodd’s piece but, instead, was able to confirm which way the wind is blowin’ by steppin’ outside. Cleared the snow off my wife’s Honda minivan. Notably, I did not accidentally clear the snow off the neighbour’s Honda minivan as I had the assistance of several visceral visual clues; e.g., my driveway. Major whew on that front.

* There was a piece in the Toronto Sun regardin’ leaked player trade news reports that result in guys discoverin’ they’ve been traded before the club has a chance to personally inform them. Notably, Loafs GM Brian Burke was among those GMs who were “worried it makes the teams look uncaring and unprofessional.” See? If the media would just hold back and let Burkie notify players before they spill the beans to the public, he and Wilson would stop lookin’ so uncarin’ and unprofessional. Never would have thunk it was that simple.

10. gmd says:

Vancouver will do their annual playoff choke and Flyers don’t have the goal tending.  So I think the Wings have the best shot.

11. SmartDog says:

I thought  it was to teach him to stand tall. And maybe Hal’s learning a couple of things about offense.

12. HabFanSince72 says:

Brian Burke was among those GMs who were “worried it makes the teams look uncaring…

How did Burkie inform  Peter Zezel he was being traded to Anaheim I wonder.

13. SeriousFan09 says:

Tell me about, the whole point of getting Hal Gill next to Subban was to get him to play the white way.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

14. G-Man says:

Thanks be!

15. andrewberkshire says:

Carkner is an occasional healthy scratch on the WORST TEAM IN THE ENTIRE NHL. He doesn’t crack Montreal’s lineup on his best day.

16. andrewberkshire says:

Yeah… we should totally go out and sign a guy who’s occasionally a healthy scratch on the worst team in the NHL. Solid idea, Ed.

17. Trisomy 21 says:

God I just saw that bosoxnation poster write some horse sh!% on youtube too. He’s pretty eTough

18. OneTimer says:

Attaboy, Brady.

19. Hobie Hansen says:

Hey, nobody is saying  he is coming here to replace Markov or Subban. However, the guy plays real hard and could easily be a sixth defenseman. He was praised all last season, and has been limping around with a bad groin this season.

Can he walk on water…no, but he can definitely play a regular shift, just as well as Mara, Sopel or Picard. He can also make Lucic or Hartnell think twice about bumping price or giving PK a hard time…unlike anyone on the team now.

20. HabFanSince72 says:

Exactly.

21. HabFanSince72 says:

Doubt Rupp was instrumental in attaining Cup two years ago.

Especially true as he was with the Devils then.

But if we are going to limit ourselves to players whohave the ability to be instrumental in going to the Cup finals we will have difficulty dressing a full 20.

22. andrewberkshire says:

He’s been hurt for 3 games, scratched healthy for 12. He’s the 6th defenseman on a weak corps, playing against the weakest competition of all Sens blueliners. He has less of a chance to be on for goals against because he plays against the other team’s 4th line all the time. He’s not even that physical with just 71 hits in 50 games. This is a terrible NHL bubble player, not someone the Habs should be going after.

23. Hobie Hansen says:

Actually he’s had injuries this season and played in 81 games last year, when the Sens had a better record than the Habs. Also this season he’s even in the +/- department when the rest of the team is real ugly in that area…

24. andrewberkshire says:

Could he replace Mara or Picard? Possible. Could he replace Sopel? Hell no, not a chance in hell.

And if you really think Lucic getting his ass handed to him in a fight wil deterr him from going to the net, you don’t have a lot of respect for him as a player. The only time in the last 3 years where Lucic hasn’t been effective is when he was battling a ton of injuries and still playing. I don’t like the person Milan Lucic because I think he’s a raging idiot and a danger to other players when he loses his temper, but he’s probably the best physical forward in the NHL. A big defenseman laying a hit on him isn’t going to bother him. The way you combat Lucic is to take the puck away from him.

25. habsfan0 says:

Wow..somebody got out on the wrong side of bed today..

First of all, I was born in Montreal and lived there for the first 30 years of my life so I think I know a little bit about Quebec;

Secondly, Newfoundland instituted an OCP (own choice plate) program in 2000;

Thirdly, I’m refering to a government sanctioned, revenue producing license plate..not something you buy at a novelty store to put on the front of your vehicle.

Apparently, your school is out..

26. ed lopaz says:

That’s precisely it, Hansen.

Take our #6 d-man and a 4th line forward, and add some meat and potatoes.

Open up a little time and space on the ice – and protect Price, and Subban, Cammy etc.

Its got to be done.

Thank you little bird, you are a great teacher. Instructions were very clear.

28. ed lopaz says:

yes it is cool to agree with someone.

Skrudland was awesome.

Could barley skate without breaking his ankles – but no one – NO ONE!! – worked harder than he did.

29. andrewberkshire says:

If it was an anomaly then Montreal wouldn’t have one of the top 10 records in the NHL this season despite missing their top 2 defensemen. If it was an anomaly Montreal wouldn’t have the best Fenwick on the road amongst all Eastern Conference teams and the 4th best in the entire NHL. This is a good, effective team and it’s about time people stopped buying into myths created by the media.

30. andrewberkshire says:

So if our top 6 defensemen next season are as follows:

Markov – Gorges

Gill – Subban

Spacek – Wisniewski

Who do you take out for a borderline NHLer like Carkner? I’m really interested to know.

31. Hobie Hansen says:

I’m not purposely trying argue with you and I actually hope our six defenseman look the way you described above.

About Lucic, I do think having a big bruising defenseman in the lineup will deter him from taking liberties, to a certain extent.

Lucic isn’t the type a guy to shy away from a fight so if he knows that by giving Price a facewash means Carkner will come after him and challenge him to a fight, he won’t want to be taken off the ice for 5mins or also possibly take a beating.

Lucic and others know that they can do what ever they want because nobody will challenge them.

And I really don’t think there are too many players who can strip the puck from him either…

32. SeriousFan09 says:

You could say the same thing RE Detroit about goaltending. Howard is not clutch, they’d have the best record in the West if they had drafted a solid goaltender.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

33. ed lopaz says:

“if” we have Markov and the Wiz??

Please. We are a long way from that lineup.

The Wiz is +3 million and a UFA – he will command at least 4 million and term.

Markov??? No one knows – not even your buddy Tony Marinaro.

34. ed lopaz says:

Sopel is making 2 million and is a UFA., and is 34 years old.

He will very likely not even return to the Habs for next season.

35. Danno says:

I like it when the “experts” underestimate the Habs like they did last year. Again we are the Underdogs. Again we will shock and awe.

ALL THE F’in’ WAY

WE SHALL OVERWHELM OUR OPONENTS WITH OUR CUNNING AND GUILE!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

36. doublerr says:

Didn’t Rupp score a Stanley Cup Playoff game winning goal 2 yrs ago?

37. Chris1138 says:

I lucked out. I was in TBay last year for school during the unseasonably warm winter and I’m back in Toronto now. Good luck!

— Chris

38. andrewberkshire says:

I’ve already told you this isn’t true, he’s been a healthy scratch 12 times.

39. habsfan0 says:

Is it snowing in Montreal? Absolutely gorgeous here in Toronto..not a cloud in the sky!

40. Thenumber11 says:

The canes pull in <800 fewer than the oilers. City size and team success aside, that’s not a big difference. The canes pull respectable, and profitable attendence pretty much every year. No they don’t fill the barn all the time, but they can. They also go insane for playoffs. It is one of the few sunny cities that I believe deserve their team. Obviously the non-traditional markets aren’t going to pull in the attendence as the big ones, but that’s ok. There probably aren’t 30 cities in NA that can pack an arena anyways.

I don’t like when people hate on NC for this is all… They do alright.

41. LA Loyalist says:

Yeah, we don’t want to come up short.

I’m amending my position somewhat, though, let’s keep DD, I love his hands and instinct, the stuff you can’t teach, and put some reasonably skilled meat around him to create chaos in front of the net.

42. andrewberkshire says:

Gill seems to take the puck from him all the time off the rush, just like he does to everyone else.

43. andrewberkshire says:

Way to skirt the question.

44. LA Loyalist says:

Every time I start to think you are Serious ™ you make a funny. :)

45. mrhabby says:

i feel like being a shit disturber today..all in good fun of course.

46. mrhabby says:

kind of thought so….threw it our there anyway.

47. samTHEman says:

When were these calculated? Pittsburgh 9-1? You’ve got to be kidding me.

48. Danno says:

Read more…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

49. SeriousFan09 says:

I take the game seriously, but one has to find the humour in it to stop from going nuts.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Thanks Robert and everyone that helped me with this.

51. LA Loyalist says:

Well, nice post. I rarely agree with you but there’s a first time for everything.

52. SeriousFan09 says:

As was indicated, messed up the links a bit

Saint Patrick, Fixed – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UumpTDdwHJg&feature=relmfu

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

53. ed lopaz says:

your question is not very realistic is it?

That’s the point.

there is such a thing as a salary cap, is there not?

Gorges is up for a big raise.

Gill will get a nice deserved raise.

Wiz gets over 4 million easy – maybe 4.5 or even more.

Markov – no one knows.

So, when you ask a question full of ifs and maybes, you get the answer I gave.

You say Sopel – I say he won’t be back.

You want my answer – even in your hypothetical world – here it goes.

You buy out the last season of Spacek’s ridiclous contract.

I would rather have a Carkner at his salary than a Spacek at 3.8 million.

Spacek is the #6 in your pairings, and I would gladly buy him out.

54. HabFanSince72 says:

As Woody Allen said about L.A. (in comparison toe New York): “I don’t want to move to a city where the only cultural advantage is being able to make a right turn on a red light.”

Actually  you can turn right on red except on the island of Montreal.

Thanks to all for the help, You also little bird, you are a great teacher, your instructions were clear.!!

56. The Cat says:

Sure we can, thats been changed a while ago.

57. mrhabby says:

sorry you can’t take a right hand turn on a red light in quebec.

58. ed lopaz says:

I am a big DD fan.

He can play on my team any day.

He is part of the production side of the ledger – and we need the goals and assists.

Its the non productive side that needs some beefing up.

Its the Craig Ludwig type of players that is needed to complete the back end of the lineup.

59. ed lopaz says:

check this out.

then tell me you wouldn’t like Rupp in the lineup tomorrow night.

listen to the Boston crowd after Thronton goes down.

I wish I would have been there!!

60. lavie says:

Sopel as a Hab played 4 games; Habs had 4 games winning streak.

At least, he is a lucky guy.

61. JD_ says:

Moves to the head of the class.

62. fbkj says:

psssst: saint patrick needs a edit

63. G-Man says:

Book that, Danno!

64. The Cat says:

I was too slow.

65. usversusthem says:

Price deservedly one of the three stars of the week, along with Iginla and Sekera.

66. CBrady12 says:

Sorry to both of you that you have to live in Ontario

67. mrhabby says:

sorry you live in Ottawa.

68. Hobie Hansen says:

All the time is pushing it quite a bit, but yes he has some success in that area. Unfortunately, 90% of players in the NHL don’t have the wing span of a 747 like Gill.

Also, it was a shame when Gill stood their watching as Lucic pushed around Price….

69. nickster13 says:

I say.. take out chara’s knees! And throw your elbow pad at Campbells son, that would make me happy

70. HugeHabsFan says:

Absolutely gorgeous day down here in the most southern tip of Canada! Only -2 and the sun is shining!  keeping my fingers crossed for more of this. :o))

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

Cammalleri: “I almost feel bad for a guy who plays an NHL career without experiencing what it’s like to be a Montreal Canadien”.

71. LA Loyalist says:

Exactly?

Philly pounded us on the forecheck, ran Halak like free chicken wings in a pub and generally wore us down. To be fair we were gassed from two 7 round series, but that was a bad, bad match up.

The slight good news this year is Price is bigger and usually good at managing his crease. But we do not match up much better against Philly this year than last for playoff type hockey.

And the only way most of our forwards go to Philly’s net is on a penalty shot.

Pray New Jersey knocks them off first.

72. andrewberkshire says:

No, that was Talbot. Rupp might have got one for NJ 9 years ago.

73. LA Loyalist says:

Playoff hockey is different.

74. rocketsglare says:

Andrew, that was an anomaly. The Habs still must get bigger, stronger, and physical if they are to control the boards and

the slot. They can’t be relying always on their speed and goaltending to win, especially against teams that are equally fast

but also bigger, stronger, and more physical.

75. Hobie Hansen says: