Vancouver vs. ?

4834695

Photo by Andy Clark/Reuters

It took double-OT and 54 Roberto Luongo saves to do it, but the Canucks are going to the Stanley Cup final.

Can Rollie the Goalie keep the Lightning alive?

Or will the final pit two teams who needed Game 7 OT to get through the first round?

And the ‘Dogs are done.

Hamilton loses on controversial goal

• Pat Hickey on the Pat Burns Ride of Courage

Canucks have earned their shot

The courage of Kesler

Cup fever in Vancouver

Sharks go home empty again

Boucher turns to Roloson

Bruins want strong start

Yvon Pedneault on the salary cap going up

The great Stan Makita has cancer

And Carey Price gets dressed up for Harry Rosen:

1. ZepFan2 says:

Let’s see if my posts appear.

———————————————————————-
    Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Head-shots League.

2. boing007 says:

Richard R
    Dream all you want about this or that offensive/defensive combination. It appears at this moment that JM will still be next season’s coach. Bummer!

3. LA Loyalist says:

re Pat Burns motorcycle ride – to any of you guys out there who are getting a little older. I was terrified of getting knocked out for the man test – i had never been unconscious in my life (except from drinking).

But I had to do it, and I did, and it was fine, and since have done it several more times for fun (oral surgery, actually) and I would strongly encourage you to just take care of it. You’ll need a nap after, but when you wake up you don’t even know they’ve done it, and it’s all over. Really.

4. HabsFan2 says:

Don’t know if this has been posted yet.

———————————————-
    RIP- K.C. – Jan.28, 1993 – May 19, 2011

5. Habitant in Surrey says:

…just a few thoughts
    …First, Vancouver Canucks ? …what a way to win !
    …Second, Hamilton Bulldogs ? …what a way to lose !
    …Third, here in Surrey BC, walking home last night from the theatre with my 2 children, in a din of car horns blaring, many inebriated (…under the circumstances, nuttin’ Wrong aboot dat !) fans hanging out of car windows (some on the roofs of their movin’ vehicles) screaming Go Canucks Go !!!, …people of All Ages on the sidewalk boozily greeting passers-bye “YEAH !!!” …the thought came to me, as an ardent disappointed, jealous Habs’ Fan and reluctantly admiring ‘alternative’ Canuck ‘sympathizer’, of the memorable words of that congealed slime-ball Sean Avery, “Sloppy Seconds” …the Canucks in the Stanley Cup Final, for Me, is My version of ‘sloppy seconds’ for the 2010/2011 season …GO Canucks Go !!!
    …Fourth, …will be tough if Kesler can’t play …but I’ll be pullin’ for Yappy Lappy, Yappy Burrows, Higgy, & Lou over turn-coat Vin The Pin-head, The Saint ( …of whom I drool daily He was A Canadien), and not least ‘The Lost Opportunity’ named Boucher, etc.
    …Fifth, …I don’t visit HIO as much as I used to, and I am sure someone here must have mentioned it previously, but My opinion of the Best hockey read in a long time, as far as blogging goes, is Kerry Fraser’s column in TSN.ca, lookin’ at things from the refs’ perspectives …a ‘must read’, especially for the chronically dispeptic conspiracy theorists amounst Us (…AND, I ain’t pointin’ My finger at anyOne here, specifically …as I am sure You know already who You are)
    …Sixth, …Bieksa or Wiz ? …those who choose Wiz would be poor General Managers
    …and finally, Lucky Seventh, …when I first proposed the concept of adding Habs Future to HIO awhile back, I also strongly made the case to Boone to arrange with Hamilton Bulldog’s ownership/marketing to provide Rice or other S. Ontario-based writer with special-access to cover Our Bulldog AHL Team …considering the Bulldog’s compelling season and playoffs, if Boone had had the foresight to listen to Me, HIO’s eyeball count since the Habs’ elimination would have gone through the roof …BUT, foresight ain’t Booneski’s strength I guess
    …anyhow, (8th ?), Go Canucks Go !!!!!! …Bring The Cup HOME !!!

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

6. Mike D says:

testing

- Honestly yours

If Boston wins the Cup it’s going to be a very long Summer. And a very lucrative one for HIO.

• Sharks9 says:

It gives me nightmares just thinking about what Bruins fans would be like if they won. I’m praying Tampa pulls out the win tonight and Friday, they can do it if Roloson plays well and Thomas doesn’t play as well as he did in Game 5.

25 before 14

HIO is becoming like the Marvel Universe comics.

What if the Habs had Markov-Gorges-Pacioretty in the line-up when they faced the Bruins?

Or even better:

What if the Habs had size and grit?

All this talk about how the Habs pushed he Bruins to the brink and how they’d be in the Finals this year if only is sheer nonsense. According to some people here the Stanley Cup Finals will be played between the Blackhawks and Canadiens. In their own little HIO Universe of course.

9. dudurules says:

I HATE BOSTON

10. CHsam says:

Alright let me rephrase what I tried to say earlier:

we need motherpuckers that are bigger AND tougher to play against to go to the net and battle. Our Top 6 needs this. Pretty obvious. It’s alright I’ll stick with Gomez for now. Good times in Hab land

Price should have shaved for that commercial, or is that the new hip thing now?

12. Bugs says:

Starting to believe in the possibility of re-signing Jimmy. Nothing more fun than eating the cake once you have it.
    So I’m gonna do what I never do: Marky-Soobie-Jimmy?
    Zone-breakouts and power-plays will be dominant; possibly best offensive d-corps in the East.
    ECF, here we come, baby.
    Also, whatever happens, if we don’t at least CALL B.Richards’ agent, I will be supremely disappointed. Just give’m a call. You won’t know unless you call, right?
    Give the guy a call; all I’m sayin.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Give the guy a call?

Reminds me of a time in a restaurant with a buddy of mine (the old Spaghettatta on Laurier).

He was eying two very comely young women at the bar and my girlfriend suggested he have the bartender bring them over a couple of drinks. I said No please God don’t do it, but she convinced him it had an outside chance of succeeding. Not only did it not succeed, it was very embarrassing.

13. coldness81 says:

so the question i bring to you is markov for 20 million over 4 years.

i think any contract under 4 years will make him test the market.

• habs03 says:

I’d be very very happy with that, I have a feeling it’s going to be a 3 year 18 M with the cap going up.

• HabsFan2 says:

Markov has stated time again that he only wants to play for the Habs. His last contract was a hometown discount because of his desire to stay here.

Could this suddenly change, even with Markov not really in the bargaining position being injured in two consecutive seasons? Maybe, but highly unlikely, imo.

———————————————-
      RIP- K.C. – Jan.28, 1993 – May 19, 2011

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Markov probably wants a 2 year deal, so his next contract isn’t one of those “Plus-35″ contracts.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

14. Mike D says:

Testing. Sorry guys if you are able to see my posts. I’m not able to and have no idea why.

- Honestly yours

15. Jim Edson says:

Yech, the mere thought of Yappierre even being close to the Stanley Cup is enough to induce vomiting!

PUKE!
    ———————————————————————-

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.

16. shiram says:

So I made a nice reply CHSam about the Habs small player, and it somehow did not post?
    Anyways, out of our small guys, I think trying to trade Gionta would probably be the most worthwhile, he can probably get us something decent in return, and his one of the smallest nhl player as well. I’d keep Cammy over Gio, even though Gio got the C, it seems like Cammy is more “into it” than Gio is.

Basically, if we wanna add size to our top 6, a small player from the top 6 has to be moved.

• HardHabits says:

Maybe they can package Gio and Gomez together.

• Tony McLean says:

Make that Gomez then!

Pete Mahovlich record season: 1974-75 80 GM 35 G 82 A 117 P 64 PIM

• shiram says:

Of course Gomez, but no one would want him, or we’d get nothing worthwhile in return.

That’s why I suggest Gio, he can get us a decent return.

• shiram says:

Agggh HIO is eating my posts, it did it again just now.

But anyways, yea Gomez, if we could trade him that would be neat, but you have to figure the return most likely could not fill a top 6 role.
        While if the team trades Gio there is likely going to be a better return.

• J_P says:

amazing how perception differs from one person to the next. I would say Gionta was far more “Into it” this year than Cammy was. Cammy looked disinterested for a huge chunk of the season.

• shiram says:

Well Cammy played hurt for quite some time as well.
        And Cammy just seems like a better player overall than Gio, to me.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Then again we only see them in the eyes of the media. We don’t know if one is better leader off the ice than the other. I don’t think they put the “C” on smallest player on the roster because he’s skilled and is good with media. Then again, this just something I also think, I wouldn’t be sad or angry if Gio was traded but my gf might since Gio is her favorite player on the roster.

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

• shiram says:

Thats about it for me as well, Gio is fine, works hard and contributes, but I would not be sad/angry if he left AND we got something decent coming back.

• HardHabits says:

They put the “C” on Gionta because he’s the new face of what the Hab are aiming to be, the smallest team in the NHL.

• LA Loyalist says:

Cammy is the closest thing we have to a pure natural shooter, and they don’t grow on trees.

• thorandresson says:

Really? You’re suggesting trading Gionta? Really? I sincerely hope you’re joking, cause that’s gotta be the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard, and if you are serious please start following another team cause you’re doing the Habs fanbase a major disservice.

• shiram says:

I see no arguments in that post.
        And I like Gio, he was great for us this past season, and scored the most goals, but with people always clamoring for bigger bodies on the top 6, you have to make room…

So if you ask me, out of the small players on our top 6, he is the one I’d move, yea. Gomez I’d move for sure, but we’d get nothing back worthwhile.

And besides it’s just a discussion to get things going as things are slow on here lately.

• thorandresson says:

he’s the captain! that’s why you don’t trade him, he’s going to be with the habs for years, there’s a reason they picked him as captain, they wanted someone they could count on for years to lead the team, so there’s no way they’re trading him after just naming him captain. Besides he brings way more than just goals, he goes to the net, and at his size it gives other guys no excuse when they don’t do it. We had big guys on the team before who had no net presence (Latendresse), it’s not about size it’s about might.

• shiram says:

Well if you are not part of the ” we need bigger players with grit” school, then I guess there’s no reason to trade the small guys on our team.

• mike3131 says:

Who would have the presence of mind to trade Gionta? It’s not about the size of the dog in the fight, it’s about the size of the fight in the dog. Yes, Gionta is one of the smallest players in the NHL, but he is our captain because he is a warrior and a true leader.
            Yes the Habs need more size, but we need grit that comes with it… guys like Bieksa (a little far fetched) or Joel Ward that are gritty, physical and can contribute offensively. The last thing we need are more players like Latendresse, Pouliot, etc. Pouliot is 6’3 but as we know, he can’t stay on his feet.
            Thinking of trading Gionta is almost as poor as thinking of trading PK or Price.

• LA Loyalist says:

The problem, Thor, is that we don’t have great draft picks, and neither do we have much depth to trade from, so how do we improve? No one wants Gomez, Poo is a head case (a talented head case, but a headcase) AK is inconsistent, Plex and Patches are untouchable… Eller won’t be moved because that would be admitting we didn’t get enough for Halak. It just goes on and on.

We pretty much have to lift rocks and find players that for whatever reason have fallen between the cracks.

I’m thrilled we got Yemelin, like him, we have to mine the low picks and Euro-ruskies for diamonds. It’s very, very hard as everyone else is doing the same thing.

Gionta could be valuable to team that doesn’t have size and toughness issues but maybe is young and needs some experience and jump. It’s no reflection on Gionta, he’s been ok.

Is he a traditional Habs captain? Coming after Koivu, Muller, Carbo — back into the pantheon I say Hell no, but I also don’t want to get death threats so I give him a B.

So how would you improve our team? (Aside from sitting here and waiting 2+ years for our kids.). Maybe you see something I don’t but we are pretty limited in what we can do and any improvement up front will be incremental until Gomez’ contract is done.

• thorandresson says:

Gionta has been ok? He plays his heart out game in and game out, why do you think this team did so well last year in the playoffs? Why do you think they did well in these playoffs (taking the Bruins to 7, in a series which was pretty much a coin toss) and look at where the Bruins are now after barely beating us. I see a team that is on the verge, i see a team that fights hard (unlike teams of the past 15 years) and it’s a fighting team because they have a great captain (yes I’d say he’s better than Koivu).

As for Gomez, he’ll can be easily traded in a year, remember his contract is heavy loaded, so while he’ll have a high cap hit throughout, his salary will be lower in the next few years. Making him ideal for a cheap team (Islanders, Panthers, Preds, Sabres etc…) who doesn’t spend up to the cap, and would look to ways to reach the minimum cap hit and pay less.

I wouldn’t be too surprised if the habs make another run next year…

• Chris says:

I would trade either guy, to be honest.

Cammalleri is a guy who contributes nothing except points. Fortunately, he scores enough to keep the wolves at bay, but he is a pretty one-dimensional player.

Gionta is a guy who contributes in a lot of areas: defensively responsible, 25-30 goals per year, good skater. But he’s a bit overpaid for what is essentially a good top-6 player on a contending team.

I wouldn’t give either guy away, but they are both expendable IF the right deal came along. But I’ve said all along that there are no untouchables on the Habs, although I will admit that Subban is rapidly approaching that level. An increased commitment to improving his defensive game would be the icing on what is already a very nice player.

• LA Loyalist says:

I think we have a few untouchables: Price, PK, Pleks, Patches and hopefully Markov. Remember PK has only played one full year, he is (barring horrible injury) going to be terrific.

Cammy is probably our most tradeable player. He, Gionta and Gomez for a young stud tough real #1 center (you guys pick?) I would do in a heartbeat. Then we’d have a real #1 + #1A in Plex down the middle, our highly mobile offensive D… and Price… we’d be on our way.

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

Amazin’ how much conversation was generated over trading our captain – who happens to have a NTC.

17. CHsam says:

Watching the game last night made me envious. Im going to agree and repeat what people are saying here: we NEED to add bigger forwards who can go to the net and make life miserable for the opposition.

• Bugs says:

Disagree.
      We need SMALLER forwards who CAN’T go to the net and who WON’T make life miserable for opponents.
      I mean, we only beat Vancouver TWICE this year!
      We need to get smaller and weaker.
      Discuss.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• G-Man says:

The post of the day! :D

• Chris says:

We have to get through Boston and Philadelphia seemingly every year to get a shot at Vancouver or whoever else comes out of the West. And against those teams, we probably need more net presence.

I’d love to see the Habs switch spots with the Red Wings when Winnipeg comes in. The Western Conference features more hitting, but the games are also faster and more open in some respects, and that would be perfect for Montreal.

• J_P says:

You want the habs, who can barely make it in the east, play in the tighter and tougher western conference?

Interesting…

• thorandresson says:

the habs can barely make it in the east? they almost beat the bruins who are pretty close to being in the finals, and they did that without some very key pieces missing.

• HardHabits says:

Almost winning in round one means nothing. It takes 4 rounds to win the Cup. Something the Habs are not built to do.

Even if the Habs beat the Bruins they would have had an uphill battle against teams that would have continued laying on the body.

It was no wonder that by the 3rd round last season the Habs were spent. They got shut-out in 3 games. By Leighton.

The Habs are not built for the play-off grind. Not yet any ways.

• Bugs says:

Pah! Give Boston Savard back; give us Marky-Gorgy-Pac-Man back and take away Boston pizz-garbage lucky goals in the series against us, and I doubt they woulda won ONE game, let alone 4 with three in OT while we won all ours in regulation. Please.
          Philly? Hey, we can beat a team with an open net as goalie too.
          Couver?

Ok, maybe…

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• thorandresson says:

Did you forget that the Habs played 14 games in 28 days last year? I think that had a lot to do with them wearing down. i think with a couple of extra days of rest they might’ve made it more of a series

• HardHabits says:

Smaller and weaker. That would be your comments.

• LA Loyalist says:

Bugs I’m going to poke my eyes out with a dull spoon.

• issie74 says:

I thought I was the only one who new that.
        At home and away.
        Way to go Mr Bugs!!!

• shiram says:

This comes up often, and it makes alot of sense, as the Habs we’re one, if not the smallest forward squad in the nhl last season.
      What I wonder is who do you move to make room for the big forward?
      The small players we have at forward are : Desharnais, Gionta and Cammy. Beyond that the guys are 5’11” and up, and usually around 200 pounds, except for Ryan White at 6 foot and 193 pounds, and 5’11” 187 pounds of Tom Pyatt.
      Halpern, Gomez and Plekanec are all 5’11” and just shy of 200 pounds.

If we go the trade route, I think one of the most tradeable small asset we have is Gionta, he could get us something decent in return, and I’d say that Cammy is a better player overall. There’s that letter on his jersey though.

• Tony McLean says:

You’re making the delusional habs-pologists unhappy LOL!

“Rebuilding since 1979.”

• Habitoban says:

Watching last night’s game made me envious of a mobile defence and a system that is built on offence rather than collapsing on its goalie.

• J Haul says:

Envious of?
      San Jose was dominant, yet came up short… two games in a row. Size didn’t seem to matter, just the right bounces. Something we all saw in the Habs series vs Boston as well.

18. Mike D says:

test

- Honestly yours

19. Mike D says:

Test

- Honestly yours

20. Marc10 says:

Kopecky would be a good addition. He would replace Eller while he’s recovering and then slot in for anyone who is slumping. How bout Raffi Torres to add some pow?

• Mike D says:

Is Torres any good at faceoffs or killing penalties? If not, then forget it.

I’m all for adding pow as you put it, but those guys better be able to do something else that’s useful and fills an actual hockey need.

- Honestly yours

21. TheThinker says:

Higgins: I’d take him over Gomez with a big savings

22. habs03 says:

Anyone else really really hoping for the Habs to sign Tomas Kopecky in the summer, don’t think he is going to resign with the Hawks, this guy would be perfect, can play C, LW, RW, play the PK,PP.
    Cammy-Pleck-Kopecky
    Patches-Gomez-Gio
    put A.Kost and Pouloit with Eller if you going to keep those two or use the money on someone like Scottie Upshall or something.

• Chris says:

I looked at him, but I’m not crazy about his offensive numbers through his career. He is versatile, and was good enough to be a third liner on a very good Detroit team and got regular playing time with the Blackhawks last season.

But he’s one of the guys whose reputation seems to overshadow his actual production.

• habs03 says:

42 points, I think he can be signed for 2.5 which would be perfect. but like you said, he isn’t a top 6 player, but can play in the role, we had Moen play there for his size, but Moen lacks any offensive.

• Mike D says:

Have a look at his stats in previous years though. I did/do want the Habs to have a look at him as well, but if you ignore this past season, his stats prior to that are very unimpressive. His next best season was 09-10 where he got 21 points in 74 games. We gripe about Benny here a lot but even he puts up better numbers than that, and at 24, he *might* still develop into something more.

- Honestly yours

• HabFanSince72 says:

I think maybe Leino has more potential. Although a player whose first name is Vile should really be playing for the Flyers.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Even I think Ville Leino has more offensive potential than Kopecky.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• TheThinker says:

Kopecky is not a scorer. He may be able to play different positions maybe an up grade to moen. don’t pick up someone else’s non scores Habs have enough already. why do you think their golfing, it’s not because of their defence or goaltending.

• habs03 says:

So signing someone for 2.5M who scored 42 points, to play on your 3rd line is a bad thing…?

• Mike D says:

I don’t think he’s saying that. I think his point is that Kopecky had a good year but there’s no reason to believe he’ll repeat it and put up 40+ points again (check his career stats)….especially on our team who struggles to score. In that case, 2.5mil for a 3rd liner is expensive. Benny gets paid about half that and has more of a chance to outscore Kopecky.

- Honestly yours

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I agree with TheThinker.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• jmsheehy19 says:

The only FA I’m really interested in that I think we actually have a shot at would be Laich, with semi-interest in Kopecky, Ward, and Leino.

My reasoning is that unless we find someone good enough to bump AK down to play with Eller, than I’d rather give one of Palushaj, Dawes, or Boyd a chance to make the team.

This is all assuming that the lines would look something like…
      Cammy- Pleky- AK/?
      Wolverine-Gomez-Gio
      AK/?- Eller- Desharnais
      Moen- White/Halpern/Engvist- Darche

EDIT: Also wouldn’t be angry if we signed Ladd or Oshie to an offer sheet

• LA Loyalist says:

You’ve got it!

Cammy-Plecky-Kopecky — the “Y” line.

Nothing like a little alliteration. How is it en francais?

23. Marc10 says:

Higgins is benefiting immensely from sitting behind A-grade talent like the Sedins and Kesler. Much like Ryder in Beantown and Bergenheim in TB…

Reminds me of Umberger.

• MathMan says:

The Bruins don’t have A-grade talent on the level of the Sedins nor Kesler.

Higgins would be a second-liner on the Bruins, whereas he’s a third-liner on the Canucks.

• thorandresson says:

Higgins is a second liner on the Canucks, he plays on the SECOND line with Kesler and Raymond, have you been watching any of their games?

• MathMan says:

Interesting, I haven’t been following the Western series very closely and I did not realize that he was playing there. I’m not sure though if that makes him a “second-liner” in any different sense that Travis Moen was a “second-liner” when he played with Gomez, and Halpern was a “first-liner” when he was with Plekanec.

On the other hand, that kind of shoots down the notion that he’s “hiding behind” better talent. Kesler does NOT get easy matchups.

And it probably means he would be a first-liner on the Bruins. :D

• thorandresson says:

He was on the 3rd line at one point, with Lapierre, but then Vigneault finally realized that Samuelson was useless with the Sedins, so he put Burrows back with the Sedins, and promoted Higgins to the line with Kesler and Raymond, and they were great. Higgins has been playing like a second liner. Remember he was pretty decent with the Habs for a few years, he just fell off the tracks at some point (probably some personal problem) and now he’s back.

• J_P says:

Umberger is a top-6 forward for columbus and is quite an effective player. I dont see the parallel between higgins and umberger.

I would love for the habs to get umberger.

24. Marc10 says:

The D looks pretty much set, so I would agree not to overpay at this stage for the likes of Bieksa and Wiz.

Shore up the offense with a bit more sandpaper and scoring punch and make the playoffs. Then you can pick up a pending UFA. You have to remember that Carey and PK are going to get hefty raises in 2013…

25. Bugs says:

So…76 Olympics in Mtl, Habs win Cup next year.
    88 Olympics in Cal, Flamers win Cup next year.
    10 Olympics in Van…BRUINS win Cup next year???
    Oh, HELL, no.
    No, sir.
    Nuh-uh.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

26. nunacanadien says:

I’m impressed with Bieska’s play, since Montreal has always been about defense under Gainey then Gauthier, an all around player like Bieska would be a great acquisition. Sure he may not fit Montreal’s standard of play but players like Gil and Wiesnewski if we keep him would help with the defense for sure. We need a defenseman who is not afraid to fight, unlike how Suban has had his play restricted or his style pulled back a bit by JM.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I would have loved to see Bieksa traded for in October when his stock was low.

Signing him now would be like buying a tech mutual fund in 2000.

• habs03 says:

Bieska signed at anything more than 4.5 and more than 3 years is going to be a bad contact. Unless he stays in Van City where they have role 3 good pairs on D and less pressure on him to be a true top pairing D-man.

Agreed.

Anybody signing Bieksa this off-season is going to dramatically overpay for him. Montreal can’t afford to be that team given the number of guys that we are already over-paying.

• nunacanadien says:

If Gomez is not scoring, and Gionta struggles, and Cammy can’t find a good winger to help him score more, we need a player like Bieksa. If we are relying on our defense to score then Bieksa is our man. He is good on the penalty kill, a good enforcer in a way, and most of all, a good competitor. Just what Montreal needs. Might wake up the rest of the team to have a Bieksa. Imagine Yemelin with Bieksa, or hope beyond hope with Markov and or Suban? It might be worth signing.

• habs03 says:

Bieska had only 22 points this year, he isn’t know for his scoring. I’m not opposed to signing him but not overpaying which is whats going to need to happen to get him.

• Chris says:

The Habs can’t afford him, and he isn’t enough of a cure to really help them.

The Habs defence was not great this season, but part of that can be traced to overwork through injury. With Markov and Gorges factored in, the Habs defence becomes MUCH better, and I believe that Yemelin will be a great addition. I still think Weber can play a positive role as well.

If we have money to burn, upgrading the forwards HAS to be the priority. Pacioretty’s return will help, but the Habs are desperately thin on offensive punch up front. Getting some talent onto the third and fourth lines, if that is all that can be accomplished, would be a great start.

• J_P says:

Bieksa’s post season run is certain to get him WAY more money than he deserves. Im always weary of pending UFA’s who have good playoff runs.

Bieksa will not be worth the term and dollars that he will certainly command on the open market.

I agree with Habfansince72. The time to acquire bieksa was early in the season.

27. Bugs says:

The Pedneault link is fragged; what the hell?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

28. Bugs says:

I’m surprised no one busted an ankle in Couver last night with all the confetti on the ice. Wouldn’t THAT be a kicker?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

29. Chris says:

I might get my wish of seeing Chris Higgins hoisting a Stanley Cup. Of course, I would have preferred it in a Habs uniform, but I’m still happy for the guy.

If only there were some way for Saku Koivu, Jarome Iginla and Ryan Smyth to win Stanley Cups before they retire…that would make me ecstatic.

• Bugs says:

Higgins???
      Are we dealing in BEADS now? What kind of wish is that? To finally see a snake-bitten, post-hittin, open net-missin 3rd-liner be carried to the Finals by the President Cup winners? I don’t get it.
      Did he help you move or sumpin?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Chris says:

Nah, I just like him finally playing the role that he was meant to play.

He’s up on the second line now due to Samuelsson’s injury, but Higgins has been chipping in points and his line was often responsible for changing the momentum for the Canucks when they were pinned into their own end in the first two rounds.

I still think Higgins would have been a tremendous third line player in Montreal. He hits, he skates his rear end off, he chips in the odd goal and he is very responsible defensively. Basically, he is Jacques Martin’s dream.

• Bugs says:

Yeah, like I said, he’s a 3rd-liner.
          What everyone knew except him and Glen Sather.
          But because he chipped in a few goals playing with Saku, he started to have delusions of grandeur. That’s no one’s fault but his own.
          Now that he’s seen the light and now knows his place on the ziggurat is nothing to hang your rosary on is what I’m saying.
          Because if you think HE’s doin great, take a gander at RYDER, who’s doing BETTER while also having slipped down the totem pole.
          Surely you’re not “wishing” that HE hoists the Cup MORE?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Chris says:

I would be happy if Michael Ryder wins the Stanley Cup once he signs somewhere else than Boston. And I agree…Ryder has been great in the playoffs this season.

For that matter, I also quite like Tim Thomas and would happily cheer for him in anything other than the Bruins jersey.

As for Higgins’ delusions of grandeur, I agree with you that he bears some blame. But I disagree that he is solely to blame. It is the role of management and the coaching staff to put their players in the best possible opportunities to succeed. That was not done with Higgins, just as I don’t feel like they have done it with Pouliot, Latendresse, Ryder and A. Kostitsyn. Not all the players that “bust” in Montreal have been failures…many, if not most, of them were simply not in the right fit.

• J_P says:

You raise a valid point chris.

Personally, I feel that we draft offensive minded players, and thrust them into a stifling defensive system, and expect them to produce. Higgins problem is that he bought into the whole idea that he could one day be a 40-goal scorer, and put WAY too much pressure on himself to succeed. Playing wing on the third line with replacement duty on the second line seems to be the most effective way to use him.

THe Paccioretty case just proved that were better to actually let our players develop in Hamilton and play offensive roles in hamilton, rather than force them up too early to play in a defense-first system. THe bulldogs play defense first, but at least its a lower level of competition and theres more room to manoeuvre. Eller was never going to live up to the expectations, and if it wasnt for the fact that he was traded for halak, he would have been in hamilton last season.

• Bugs says:

Higgy wasn’t shipped outta here for being a “failure”, Chris; he was shipped out because his self-negativity for not becoming the 30-40 goal-scorer he saw himself as wasn’t conducive to a harmonious atmosphere in the dressing-room. Yes?
            Consider that he’s scoring JUST AS MUCH in Couver as he did here; it’s just now, he seems to be at peace with the kind of player he IS as opposed to the kind of player he WANTED to be in Mtl.
            Bottom-line though: he’s just ANOTHER 3rd-liner, same as any OTHER fringe scorer.
            And for MY money, he ain’t no Dominic Moore, who I would’ve kept TWICE afore keepin Higgy.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Chris says:

Bugs: When Higgins was drafted, the scouts and the team were on record saying that they felt they had a good two-way second or third line center in the making. Because of a good run in his rookie season, he suddenly was placed into the role of top-6 scoring winger, a role he was NEVER equipped for, as he had never really been a scorer at any stop in his career up to that point.

This is what I mean by being a failure…you are saying that Higgins’ negativity was what got him shipped out of town and that he is only playing well now that he is at peace with his role. But my argument is that the team could have taken the pressure off of him to be a top-6 winger and recognized that that is not a role his skill set could support on the long term. He put up three nice seasons to start his career, but what never changed was his hustle, his board play and his defensive responsibility.

Instead of being happy with a surprising amount of production from a second or third line player, however, more and more pressure was placed on Higgins to be the sniper for a team that desperately needed one. That was the failure…he could never fulfill the role the team needed of him. This is the same thing that brought down Michael Ryder, Guillaume Latendresse and is looking more and more like it might be the downfall of Benoit Pouliot. As a third-line player, Pouliot is actually quite good. He should be good for 15-20 goals per season.

But in Montreal, that is not enough. We desperately need him to be a top-6 power forward that scores 30+ goals per season or he is a bust. The pressure grinds him down, and he starts playing poorly. Much like Higgins, Ryder and Latendresse.

At 27 years old, Johan Franzen had scored only 22 goals in his first TWO NHL seasons. Tomas Holmstrom was 32 years old and hadn’t scored more than 20 goals in his first EIGHT seasons in the league. In Montreal, our impatience for scoring would have probably seen both those guys cut adrift for lack of production.

Daniel Sedin scored 20, 9, 14, 18 and 22 goals in his first 5 NHL seasons. And that was as a 2nd overall pick. The Canucks were patient with him and his brother and have subsequently been rewarded for that patience.

• Bugs says:

Higgins was placed in a top role because we had NO ONE ELSE; it ain’t complicated. Higgy scored more than Radek Bonk, that’s all.
            Koivu-Ryder-Higgy as 1st line, remember? It took 3 weeks for Kovy-Pleky-AK to take the pole, c’mon.
            The only “pressure” placed on Higgy was the pressure he placed on HIMSELF, not what he got from the fans and the media, at least none that I can remember. The only person who thought he could score 30-40 was him, so I doubt very much management chose to delude themselves in the same way.
            Pouliot CAN’T be a 3rd-liner; he’s not gritty enough to take one in the teeth behind the blue line nor quick-witted enough to see opposing plays develop, which Higgy has no problem with, so I don’t think this particular comparable applies in regard to proper roster assignment. Therefore “desperately needing him to be a top6 player” sounds a little disingenuous. I mean, we “desperately needed” SAKU to be a top6 too, yet he WAS, sooo…
            I also think that Lady Gaga could score 20 goals in Detroit City after 8 years of practice so maybe shipping Higgy THERE, (as well as any OTHER player for that matter) would be BOUND to make all his qualities stand out, same as it did for Franzen and Holmstrom.
            As for the Sedins (1st-liners and not 3rd-liners) in their first 5 years, we must consider the overall quality of their club mirroring THEIR progress at the same time as the twins’. Furthermore, they MADE IT to the top of the League in scoring, a feat that sounds a little out of Higgy’s reach. It would be unwise to suggest he could attain the same summits because if he ever HEARS it, he might believe it…and get down on himself again for not being able to do it.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Habitoban says:

Funny thing how the fans lose patience with a player who doesn’t score, yet it’s the System not the player who isn’t scoring.

• issie74 says:

Chris …. Michael Ryder couldn’t play for the Habs not because he couldn’t score but because he was -25 and nobody who is minus-25 is going to play for Carbonneau … ever.

• aemarchand11 says:

I really wouldnt be suprised if he was signed by us again. He seems to have his legs back under him and confidence. Without the pressue of being a 1st round pick anymore I think he would relish under the JM system.

“I have a different constitution. I have a different brain; I have a different heart; I got tiger blood, man.” – Charlie Sheen.

• aemarchand11 says:

Whats wrong with Higgins? He played with his heart on his sleeve and let the pressure get to him here. He was a true Hab, and was devastated when he was traded.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Pressure? Isn’t the rumour that he partied too much?

• Bugs says:

What’s wrong is that he couldn’t score, Marchy. It’s as simple and as complex as that. Pickin up 4 goals in 18 games doesn’t suddenly make’m a sniper, I’m afraid.
          He got too hard on himself when he was here forever trying to attain a status he could never achieve, became negative, and that negativity affected the room, and he was shipped, yes? I’m not making anything up here.
          But now, he’s a “true Hab”??? Gimme a break.
          For the record though: adding a nonsensical Sheenist quote doesn’t imbue your statement with the credibility your opinion deserves; shouldn’t close out with it if I were you.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• issie74 says:

Mr Bugs I don’t know what you had for breakfast this morning but whatever it was … you are sharp.

• LA Loyalist says:

Great point about patience, Chris. Sigh.

30. MathMan says:

Hopefully Tampa will win. Vancouver is much, much better than either Eastern club, but at least Tampa would give them a fight.

If Boston wins and the pattern holds, we’d see the Bruins make the SCF, get utterly dominated by Vancouver in every phase of the game, and win the Cup.

• HabsFanInTampa says:

Mathman, do you have this upcoming Saturday’s winning Lotto numbers too?

• MathMan says:

I *am* being facetious here. I would, of course, favor the better team in any hockey game or series as having the best odds of winning, and Vancouver-Boston is clearly a pretty nasty mismatch in favor of the Canucks.

It’s just that being the second-best team on the ice has yet to prove an hindrance to the Bruins.

31. Marc10 says:

On ya Nucks! Now crush Boston if u get em.

Bad luck Doggies. No shame in that loss.

32. joshua94k says:

Congratulations on the Hamilton Bull Dogs for a great season where they battled to the end, just like their parent team the Montreal Canadiens. The Canadiens management deserves credit for instilling a winning attitude and developing promising young players such as Subban, Paccioretty, Desharnais, Weber, White, Dawes, Palusaj etc.

• RGM says:

Cue the usual band of folks saying that if only we still had Boucher…. LOL

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• Chris says:

The Bolts can keep Boucher. But I would gladly take Stamkos, St. Louis, Brewer and Hedman.

I would even add Downie (who I detest, but he is a good player), Lecavalier (and his horriawful contract, but at least he’s producing in the playoffs on his) or Simon Gagne.

Let’s face it…that team’s talent level is MUCH better than Montreal’s. And their spare parts (Bergenheim, Purcell, Lundin, Clark, Moore) have played very well thus far in the playoffs.

• MathMan says:

I’m not sure I agree that Tampa has a massive talent edge. Tampa has better forwards, but Montreal is way ahead on defense and that’s more important than forward. And while Tampa’s forward group is flashier, Montreal’s top-6 has generally better two-way guys.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Maybe if you include Markov and Gorges in Montreal’s defence.

Our D this year was atrocious.

• MathMan says:

It was hardly “atrocious” — it was better than a good 60-75% of the clubs in the East — but it was certainly worse than it could have been.

It speaks to Montreal’s depth though that they lost their entire first pairing and managed to consistently ice a perfectly capable NHL-level defense.

Montreal’s #1 problem this year was health.

• Chris says:

Montreal is way ahead in net with Price.

Tampa Bay leans heavily on Hedman, Ohlund, Brewer and Clark. Montreal leaned heavily on Hamrlik, Subban, Gill, Spacek and Wisniewski. I don’t really see a huge difference between those two groups as a whole. Tampa’s D has a lot of experience (with the exception of Hedman), Montreal’s D has more offence (Hamrlik, Wiz and Subban). Tampa doesn’t need offence from their defence corps, while Montreal desperately needs it due to the lack of production from their forwards.

You could make a pretty good argument that Stamkos, St. Louis and Lecavalier are ALL better than our best forward (Plekanec). Simon Gagne and Ryan Malone (were he not injured) would only be behind Plekanec, Cammalleri and perhaps Gionta in terms of Montreal’s forward depth.

People keep saying that defence is more impotant than forward, but the fact remains that the Stanley Cup finalists post-lockout have, with only the 2005-06 Edmonton Oilers as an exception, featured top-10 offences. Montreal has a bottom-10 offence, and that is what has consistently killed them.

• MathMan says:

The problem with that reasoning is that this year Montreal was a top-10 offense that run into a bad shooting streak. But I’ve been over this so we’ll just have to see next year if the pattern holds or if their shooting percentage regresses to the mean (while hopefully their ability to outplay 5-on-5 play remains).

• HardHabits says:

Using my arguments now Chris. I’m flattered.

Until the Habs have a top 10 offence they wont win squat in this league.

• Chris says:

HH: I’ve been making that argument for the past two years. As a statophile, it would be pretty remiss of me to miss the fact that while good defences are required to win championships, it almost never happens if the teams features a pop-gun offence.

MM: One can argue that the Habs are statistically a top-10 offence, but the team has now posted, in back-to-back seasons, bottom-10 goal scoring stats. One year can be a fluke, two years is probably a trend, and if it happens again next season, it is pretty much a fact.

Based on what I’ve seen, I put a high likelihood on it being a fact and would rather avoid seeing the Habs waste another year of the prime of their core (Cammalleri, Gionta, Gomez, Plekanec, Markov) to prove that their offence is below average.

33. JF says:

It’s discouraging to see how poor or inconsistent officiating can dictate the outcome of a crucial game. In our series against the Bruins, there were two missed calls on Boston just before the OT goal. Had one of those been called, the goal would not have been scored. Last night, the Sharks were called for icing with just over 20 seconds left, but the replay showed the icing call was an error. Had the whistle not been blown, or had the officials realized their mistake and put the faceoff at centre ice, the Sharks would have won in regulation. Again last night, Houston beat the Bulldogs on what should have been a disallowed goal. The officiating needs to be better, or if it can’t be better, it at least needs to be consistent.

• eric says:

The officiating is consistant.Consistantly bad

• Chris says:

Refereeing can be frustrating to we fans, but what we sometimes forget is that these guys are trying to arbiter one of the fastest sports in the world.

Kerry Fraser has a great column going right now at TSN where he has been answering fan questions about refereeing. One of the things that jumps out is that the refs know when they make mistakes and nobody in the world feels worse about it. But it is a part of the game that will always be there.

We see goalies flub easy shots all the time. We see players pass the puck directly to an opposing player and marvel at how they possibly couldn’t have seen that player. We see guys miss what should be sure-fire goals. These are all player errors that we see every night.

The amazing thing to me is how rarely games are decided on refereeing mistakes. It does happen, and it is always unfortunate. I’m sure the Bulldogs players and fans are going to take a long time to overcome the mistake that potentially cost them a a championship, just as the Buffalo Sabres players and fans still haven’t forgotten (or forgiven) the Brett Hull skate in the crease. Given how difficult the job is, however, there are remarkably few of these incidents. Every fan think their team’s players are getting the short end of the stick, but we usually have replays to help us make the call and our own biases to fuel our passion. The refs have to, as best they can, rise above the passion of the home crowd and try to call a level game with nothing more than split-second looks on which to make the call.

The sentence that jumped out to me was Ryan White and Nigel Dawes skating over to shake the referees’ hands. Given how frustrated and disappointed they must have been, that is a great display of character and sportsmanship. Because despite the millions of dollars surrounding the business side of the sport, hockey remains a game inside the boards and I’m glad to see that the players recognized that.

• eric says:

Having said all that, this is why they should use instant replay on controversial goals.Sometimes it’s hard to understand how both refs would miss a call

• Chris says:

They can use instant replay, but it has to be a reviewable play. I don’t know the rules on this one, but I suspect that determining whether a player was pushed into the net is not a reviewable play. Generally, instant replay has been used for determining if the puck crossed the line, if the goal was scored before the end of a period or if the puck was struck with a high stick.

Historically, the GM’s have been against expanding video replay as they feel it slows the game down too much. Even ideas like a once per game coach’s challenge have been rejected.

The refs screwed up, and the rules are such that there was no way within the rules to correct the mistake.

• JF says:

You’re right, Chris. Officiating means split-second decisions, and there are going to be mistakes. And of course all fans think their team is being treated unfairly. But what is most frustrating is how inconsistent the officiating is within a game. I think the two-referee system is partly responsible for this, since the two officials never see the game the same way. A single official might miss calls (although I’m not sure he’d miss more than two do), but at least his calls would be consistent.

Agree with you about Ryan White and Nigel Dawes. They must have been bitterly disappointed and convinced the officials had screwed up, but they still had the class to go and shake their hands. The character showed by the whole Bulldogs team bodes well for the future.

• Chris says:

I think you hit the nail on the head with the two-referee system being a source of much of the inconsistency. Different referees have different standards.

I’ve never had much time for the conspiracy theories about some referees having it out for certain teams. However, I do think there could be some bias in terms of what styles of play certain referees will permit. We saw in the first-round series between the Canucks and Blackhawks that the refs were letting just about everything go, and the series was very entertaining as a result. The flip side of that entertainment was that guys were being run, with Brent Seabrook suffering a serious injury.

I would welcome a return to the one-referee system because I simply don’t believe that the referees were the problem so much as the league’s points of emphasis. It would have been interesting to see how different the league crackdown on obstruction post-lockout might have been with a one-referee system. My suspicion is that the effect of the crackdown would have been the same, as the referees are generally looking at the puck-carrier and that was the player that was generally being impeded under the pre-lockout status quo.

• G-Man says:

Well argued. However, can’t we expect more professionalism? Couldn’t have last night’s ref errors been rectified with a quick replay review?
        There are 4 officials on the ice and they miss a helluva lot of things that should be called. There have been at least 2 incidents of high sticks to the face after face-offs that are missed. This level of refereeing is unacceptable.
        Solution? Pay more to attract better officials. Stop allowing players and coaches in all levels to criticize the refs during the game. Many promising refs stop simply because of the abuse. This needs to be addressed or we will be stuck with the awful refereeing we have been seeing all playoffs long. It is also why the THUGS WIN.

• Chris says:

I agree with many of your solutions.

One extra thing I would argue would be a return to a one-referee system but with the caveat that the linesmen can call high-sticks and head shots. The back linesman is often in a position to make calls like that. You still won’t catch everything, but it might improve the quality of the officiating on the whole.

• G-Man says:

There, Chris; all fixed. :)

Next step: convincing the old boys club of the NHL to wake up to the 21st century.

• J_P says:

I agree with a lot of what you have said except for the part about there being “remarkably few of these incidents”. Maybe controversial, series-winning goals dont happen THAT often, but considering how few series-clinching games are played every season compared to every other game, it seems to happen TOO often.

Every single game I watch I feel there is inconsistent officiating. It’s as if consistent officiating does not exist. The reason for this IMO? Too much discretion given to the officials. I dont know what happened to the “call everything” approach employed immediately following the lock-out, but it’s completely disappeared, and especially in the playoffs. I think the league needs to go back to the black and white call everything approach. It’s ridiculously obvious how the refs employ the “make-up call” to even things out after they’ve made a bad call. If everything was a penalty, there wouldn’t be the need for a make-up call.

Then, to eliminate the diving, they have to put into place stiff fines for diving, and actually fine people for it. The most disgusting thing I’ve seen in this years playoffs is how much the players are flopping around to draw calls. The NHL playoffs are starting to look like the UEFA champions league. I don’t even want the canucks to win because they are the biggest bunch of divers/embellishers I have ever seen. Boston isn’t much better. I’ve never seen Zdeno Chara drop to the ice so many times in my life as I have this playoffs. Andrei Kostitsyn (not a small player) can run into Chara at full speed, and end up on his derriere, but the smallest hook or smallest nudge to chara’s back and he’s down like he got shot, drawing a penalty. Its a complete disgrace.

• Chris says:

Diving is an issue, but not one that the referees can really control. They have to make a split-second decision without the benefit of replay. As you suggest, the way to get that out of the game is via suspensions for flagrant dives along with steep fines to the teams involved. Hit them in the pocket book and I suspect that that behaviour will clean up pretty quickly.

As for the call everything post-lockout blitz, the reason they moved away from that was fan outrage. Fans, especially in Canada, were complaining that the game was being ruined by all the power plays. I’m all for a return to those days as it puts a premium on skill players and de-emphasizes the returning obsession with size and “sandpaper”, which is often just a euphemism for playing beyond the rules but getting away with it.

To be honest, I really don’t think the refereeing is that much more egregious than it was twenty years ago. Like then, there were mistakes made all the time. Perhaps the big difference now is the presence of all these sports specialty channels (Sportsnet, TSN and The Score here in Canada alone) with their need for highlights to fill one hour shows.

In the old days, we saw the goals and that was pretty much it, as the sports was limited to a 5-10 minute package during the news. We also did not have every game available to us, having to rely on the print media to feed our obsession.

Now, every one of us is an expert on hockey. Most of us have access to 10-20 games per year, and many on this site have RDS so they can see every game, or use online sources such as Justin.tv or atdhe.net to see every game. The difference is that our analysis of the game and that of the print journalists of old is that we fans’ perspectives are often more biased. We all think the refereeing stinks in every game that the Habs lose because we’re generally looking for excuses or reasons for why Montreal lost.

For example, I disagree with what seems to be the consensus around this site…there were missed calls in the Habs-Bruins series, but those went both ways and I certainly did not feel like they decided the series. It is a matter of opinion, and I am not by any stretch saying that I am right and everybody else is wrong. But the fact differing opinions exist on many of the calls is evidence that there aren’t that many “black and white” calls that the referees miss.

• arcosenate says:

And Brad Marchand is the worst of them, why someone hasn`t punched him in the face yet is beyond me, especially in light of all the crap they gave PK this year. Can`t stand him.

• HabFanSince72 says:

” Kerry Fraser has a great column going right now at TSN where he has been answering fan questions …”

Has someone asked him the obvious burning question: what kind of hair fixative he used during his refereeing days?

• Kooch7800 says:

The Ref’s are bad and that will never change. I would like to see though the NHL bring in a coach’s challenge. one per team per game. That is a great idea cause some calls are so bad if you get a chance to challenge you could save the game.

The NHL will never go for it but it is exactly what the game needs. If it is too quick than this gives coach’s/teams one call that they can challenge and you can’t complain. It will become strategic as to when/if you use it in a game.

34. arcosenate says:

Personally I find the Kesler heroic stuff way over the top, he had a cramp and he drank some Gatorade. Big deal.

And the linesman missed the non-icing call which led to the tie and then OT.

And the Canucks OT goal was plain lucky.

That said, it will be a good final between them and the B’s, Vancouver is the better team but they can’t play like they played last night and win.

35. secretdragonfly says:

What a disappointing way to end their season but kudos to the ‘Dogs for a valiant effort.

36. G-Man says:

Glad for the Canucks.
    Go Bolts!
    Buck Foston.

37. secretdragonfly says:

What a disappointing way to end the season but kudos to the ‘Dogs on a valiant effort.

38. pmaraw says:

whoa, i coulda sworn sj scored like at the start of the 2nd ot…. thats when i went to bed… dammit lol oh well, gl nucks!

39. RobertAlanFord says:

Finally a Canadian team in the Stanley Cup Finals again!!!!!

Hats off to the Dogs as well. Looking forward to seeing some of those guys making a push for a regular spot in training camp. Dawes, Boyd and Palushaj are brilliant together. White is going to be a full time Hab by possibly as early as next season, and McIntyre’s numbers…………..wow!!!! Look out Auld!

• eric says:

Would like to see those 3 brought up as the third or fourth line

• Chris says:

Drew MacIntyre was a great story in the Bulldogs net, but I doubt he will get much of a sniff at the NHL level. He is already 27 years old and has been a top AHL goalie for many years, but only has 2 NHL games to his credit.

In many respects, he is the latest beneficiary of a tremendous system in Hamilton. Curtis Sanford posted a 22-13-2 record to go along with a 1.93 GAA and 0.930 SV% this season. Drew MacIntyre, picked up during the season for Brett Festerling, posted a 12-6-2 record along with a 1.89 GAA and 0.938 SV%, shaving over a goal off his GAA after coming over from Chicago and improving his save percentage by 0.032 .