Updates, video and audio from practice

Peterbudaj

AUDIO: Chris Campoli | Lars Eller | Raphael Diaz | Josh Gorges | Gorges II

Video of newest Canadien Chris Campoli:

The side of Lars Eller’s head:

David Desharnais:

Raphael Diaz:

Josh Gorges:

After four games in as many nights, the Canadiens are able to hold a full-fledged practice Tuesday morning in Brossard.

HIO is there, and there will be video from the depleted room this afternoon.

•  •  •

First ones out: Goaltending coach Pierre Groulx, working with Peter Budaj: handling dump-ins behind the net, recovery from butterfly.

•  •  •

P.K. skating.

Jacques Martin skating around with Erik Cole.

•  •  •

Campoli is number 17 – last worn by Dustin Boyd, and before that, BGL.

•  •  •

Cammalleri, Plekanec and Cole against Gomez, Gionta, Pacioretty; Eller, Weber and Bournival

Gorges/Campoli, Yemelin/Woywitka, Spacek/Diaz, P.K./Gill, St. Denis/Henry

No Gallagher, no Blunden

Weber as a forward after, Patrick V. Hickey observes, “he spent two weeks proving he can’t play defence.”

Blunden, Willsie, Gallagher and Lawson get days off.

•  •  •

Phillip DeSimone gets a one-year two-way contract.

•  •  •

Bummer! Stephen Brunt leaving the Globe & Mail for Rogers Sportsnet.

Guess that does it for his involvement on the Melnick show.

•  •  •

Randy Ladouceur working with the D-men, but no P.K.

1. Sean Bonjovi says:

this

“Andrei Kostitsyn will be traded this month”
    - Sean Bonjovi

2. caladin says:

IMO:
    Wiz wanted to be the #1 D man on a team. He’s not good enough to be #1 on a champion. Thanks for the good work you did here and good luck in St. Luis.
    Hamer will be missed this year but not next year.
    Weber had better step it up or he’s gone. Even playing 4th line wing and PP point seems better suited to Diaz.
    Markov will be back soon, and will be good for a week, and very good for a week and oh wow I forgot what he could do thereafter.

6 out of every 10 predictions I make come true!

3. CharlieHodgeFan says:

This new guy Gorges is great.

Okay, not new. But if they had traded for him, we’d all be cheerful. His return from injury is important, just as Markov’s setback is annoying. In building the bridge to the Stanley Cup, never underestimate the importance of gorges.

4. Neutral says:

G-Man put your dictionary away your confusing people, they may think you’re intelligent.

5. savethepuck says:

Before camp started there were some posts that people (pretty sure it was SF09) were looking forward to seeing Beaulieu, Tinordi, Bournival and Gallagher at this years training camp. I remember replying that I would prefer to wait and evaluate them as to how they do at the Junior level especially at the World Juniors where they would be playing against players at the same developmental level as them. I also said I was more interested in seeing how Enqvist, Palushaj, and Trotter did because IMO they had the inside track to take the 13th forward spot. I know it’s not a common thing to do on here, but 6 preseason games later, man was I ever wrong. These kids really impressed me ( some are still here). All 4 of them far exceeded my expectations coming in to camp. The other 3 I was looking forward to, no comment as of now. I really like the youth of this organization and I’m not forgetting we also have LeBlanc still rehabbing from shoulder surgery.
    “They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

6. The Dude says:

So this years Canadiens have :Price,Subban,AK,Markov?,Gio,Max Pac,DD,Gomez,Plec….and one of lil prospect”Gallager”. Jeezelouise!Nice 7 year plan………………

TSN’s list of todays waivers, along with players who cleared yesterday.

8. JohnnyBEast says:

Dumont gets the snip – Renaud Lavoie

9. Where is AK46 today? Named not mention below?

10. ESundy36 says:

For those interested Inside College Hockey named Dustin Walsh as their play of note from Dartmouth in their yearly A-Z series.

11. SensFanSpezza says:

Okay, so if I heard Desharnais correctly, the guys came back from summer vacay and the Count set a two hour practice for the first day. Now everybody’s injured. Seems to be something wrong with this picture.

• The thing wrong with that picture, if that picture is true to life, is that the players weren’t keeping themselves in better shape over the summer.

• punkster says:

Ya, these rich fat slugs should be allowed to ease into camp. Like Day 1, tie up skates, then untie and go home. Day 2, skates plus shin pads, then go home. Day 3, skates, shin pads, shoulder pads, then go home. By the end of the first week then, and only then, should they get 5 minutes of ice time followed by an hour in the hot tub before going home.

Gimme a break. You’re gonna need waaaay more than this to create a fuss Spezzabro. Hell, I could handle two hours and I’m almost 60!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• VancouverHab says:

That’s right: it’s not as if this is the National Hockey League. It’s silly to push guys who aren’t in the big league this hard.

What the Hell does the Martin guy know about hockey coaching anyway? Jeez.

12. adam76 says:

Remember when I was worried about giving an Injury-Prone 33 year old dman a TON of cash over 2 years – looks like Markov is in worse shape then the team is saying. Anyone know the score?

@teamadam76

13. Habitant in Surrey says:

…likely most of You have already watched this Josh Gorges feature with Elliotte Friedman, but for a morning ‘feel-good’ moment this made my coffee and bagel taste more enjoyable than usual this morning
    …loved the emotion of pride in His parents’ eyes
    …Red should be talking about these great personalities on Our current Team a tad more, don’t ya think ?
    …sorry for the sugar, but Josh is one of My Favorites on Our Team

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

14. tcartr says:

Yemlin is slow and fat, too much kielbasas and not enough of the gym.

The best player in camp is knee high to a grasshopper, the team is soft, there will be no real improvement as long as the Translyvania two are in charge.

15. Exit716 says:

It’s interesting to see all the talent that is leaving various media outlets heading to Rogers. I guess with the apparent attack on the CBC which will be part of the Harper government’s agenda and a resulting cut in funding, one can expect Rogers and Bell to battle it out for the rights to Hockey Night in Canada.

16. Neutral says:

G-Man I’m a Brain serguon and you need help!

17. Ozmodiar says:

That’s quite the throng of media around Campoli. Welcome to Montreal, sir.

Looks like he kicked a bee hive filled with reporters and forgot to run away.

18. cuzzie says:

Everyone write to Wayne Bews@ team990 and have him replace Tieman with Chris Nilan.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

19. Habitant in Surrey says:

…this was the first PRESEASON game I have watched more than 2 periods …I watched the 2nd & 3rd of this second game agin da TeddyBears
    …impression of the game ? …hmmm, when watchin’ da Broon’s coming down the ice I am reminded of the American 6th fleet of humongous aircraft carriers sailing full speed ahead towards da Habs’ goal
    …when I watch Our Habs, I see a swarm of mosquitoes confused by citronella
    …so WHAT have We got here ? …well, injuries are what they ARE ! (…10 on the injured-list if I am not mistaken)
    …Carey is beginning to get in ‘The Flow’ …but I wish He would do something else more ‘safe’ than rodeo in the summer …because one predictable September We will be aghast about Our Sweet Jesus convalescing a broken leg, arm, hand or neck
    …anyOne that knows Me KNOWS Jacques Martin is NOT The Man I would choose behind Our bench …yet, I like what JM is doing for Our prospects this PRESEASON
    …it would have been easy and very tempting to put a virtual team of regular season Players on the ice, especially against the Yogi Bears …but I like what He has alternatively done
    …JM has recognized We have more credible prospects than We have had for a very, very long time
    …giving Them the maximum opportunity for experience playing NHL calibre (?) hockey against such intense rivals (whom, by the way, are also ‘the Starley Cup Champians’, trademark pending) will only provide these young Men unforgettable and important experience to motivate Their development
    …in the cloud of unsurprising disappointment Our PRESEASON record is not what We think it should be, I see much benefit that will be recognizable in the months and years to come

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• LA Loyalist says:

I’m actually ok with rodeo, though horses are moody critters, that’s for sure. People get hurt doing anything. My left thumb is all messed up and i have no idea what happened to it. Maybe a slash I don’t remember. I like to know the history of my injuries. Mysterious ones are unnerving.

As for our Habs – at least we have kids to talk about, unlike some years when all we’ve had is washed up retreads (see Dictionary under “Gomez”. Let’s give 10 games before committing honorable sepuku. :-)

20. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

why not try …

AK DD ELLER

21. Hobie Hansen says:

Quick Points:

– Shanahan is doing a great job so far.

- If somebody used a racial slur or used a derogatory term regarding my sexuality on the ice, I really wouldn’t care. People say stupid things when the testosterone is high during the heat of battle. Suck it up!

– I loved seeing Tinordi and Henry drop the gloves and I would consider dressing 7 defensemen against aggressive teams and call up Henry.

22. C_exacte says:

is that a mullet on campo? it’s going to be a party on defense this year

23. cuzzie says:

Randy Tieman is saying his wife makes the best Salsa in the world. What does she do? Open a jar of Tostitos salsa. What a Maroon!

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

So Wayne Simmonds goes from being the target in a racial act to potentially being suspended/fined for uttering a homophobic slur. That is quite a week he has had.

And in other news, Avery is still a complete douchebag.

25. HabsFan92 says:

NHLwiki NHLwiki
    #NHL *Rumor*–Both the #Wild and #Stars have inquired about #Habs Scott Gomez. No follow up just yet.

26. HabFanSince72 says:

It isn’t only the players and coaches who are preparing for the season. Excuses also need their pre-season.

“We only played 6 regulars and exhibition games don’t count” has just been cut from the squad, however “exhibition games don’t count”, which is much simpler, more direct, will get one last try-out before game one.

It has little hope of sticking around, but count on “don’t worry, it’s only October”, and “what do you expect, our best player is injured” to make the big squad.

Finally, “I think Jacques Martin knows a little more about the game than you do” will most likely stay, but on a two-way contract.

• patience is a virtue says:

we won’t need excuses this year. and despite the excuses since the 2009 make over, this team has consistently improved.

• Tony McLean says:

“Rebuilding since 1993.”

You have two choices: Break Chara’s nose and win or grab your ankles and lose. There are no other choices. Make a choice.

• patience is a virtue says:

sure, but you have to be short-sighted not to see the impressive combination of youthful star power (Carey, PK, Patches…) ready to hit their prime. we haven’t seen this since a couple of decades before 1993 friends.

• Chorske says:

Wah wah. Complaints, on the other hand, need no such preseason preparation, because they are repeated ad nauseam ALL. EFFING. YEAR. By the same tired posters. And that, every year I have been on this site. To list just a few:
      The coach sucks
      The GM sucks
      The team sucks
      Trade player X!
      The Habs should trade *underachieving Habs player* for *top ten franchise guy on another team*
      The kids don’t get enough ice time
      The kids get too much ice time
      I can’t believe that trade
      Player X gets overpaid
      Any sentence with smurfs, size, grit, sand, sandpaper, enforcer, fighter, euro, little girl, sisters, russians
      The Habs used to be better
      Anything less than a Stanley Cup is a DISGRACE and an insult to the ALLMIGHTY HABS LEGACY

What’d I miss?

27. patience is a virtue says:

Signing Campoli was a very good idea – it means the Habs are going to give Markov the time he needs to heal properly, yet they are serious about winning right from game one.

Folks whining about the team’s preseason performance are out to lunch – mostly the usually suspects. The games so far have involved a raggle taggle bag of try outs with a few vets sprinkled in. The win-loss results of these games mean next to nothing. It a time to get in the groove, and a time for prospects and long shots to make their mark. Gallagher and Beaulieu have impressed which bodes well for the future. Tinordi not so much. Too bad Trotter and Paluhsaj couldn’t bring it, etc, etc.

Those moaning about our weak D should also take a pill. Campoli is a decent dman who may flourish in Montreal, which leaves us with

PK-Gill
    Camp-Gorges
    Emelin-Spac
    Weber? Woyo?

to start the season. Those worried about Emelin shouldn’t. The guy can hit, skate and pass. He’s probably been told to take it easy during pre-season and work on adapting his vision and positioning to the NA surface.

By the time Markov comes back we’ll know whether Campoli or Weber will be traded, and whether Emelin will stick on the third pairing, or be shuffled up or down.

Be patient folks. This is a heck of a good team we have:

All star goalie + three scoring lines including three power forwards, a sniper, one of the game’s best two way centres, a vet poised for a come back and a captain who is all heart + one of the best d corps in the East once Markov is back.

It’s going to be a great season.

• Neutral says:

Markov will never heal, he may be back the first hit to his knee he’ll be gone again maybe it won’t even take a hit they knew that when they signed him. scared Boston was gonna pick him up, than he becomes Boston’s problem not ours and we would have a little more cash, great management…

• Mats Naslund says:

I don’t think the Campoli signing is as much about Markov as Weber. I don’t think that Weber has shown over the course of his time in Montreal that he can play the defensive side of the game well enough to take a regular spot on D.

I would have preferred if Gauthier admitted this to himself early enough in free-agency to be able to pick up a bigger guy to clear the nets, but that is the risk in hoping that one of your own can rise to a spot.

The Habs goal this season. Exceed 96 points. They do and the season can be considered a step in the right direction. Less than 96 points however and they would need to win at least the 1st round, if they make the play-offs, in order for the team not to be considered regressing.

Nothing yet gives me an indication that this group can make the top 10 let alone the top 5 over-all. Only time will tell.

• SeriousFan09 says:

I predicted 100 points last year with a healthy Markov. This year I’m calling for 106 and I’m feeling good about it.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

I think that is a fair way assess the season HH. I think this team will be in the top ten, but more in the 6-10 area. The only way this team has a chance of being top 5 if a very healthy and effective Markov/Gomez combination. The latter of the 2 has shown some spark but until it happens in reg. season we won’t know as you say, time will tell.

• patience is a virtue says:

I’m with Robert – 100+

You shouldn’t underestimate the difference a full season of Cole and Patches will make + DD and Eller with partial seasons under their belts.

I do agree that a healthy Markov and bounce-back Gomez will help, but PG has developed some impressive depth up front that will help a good team become great.

• Tony McLean says:

The regular season is meaningless. This is loser talk. The only thing that matters is the *second* season. This is the Montreal Canadiens we’re talking about, not the Laffs. ‘Settling’ is not an option.

• I would say you’re even being lenient, HH. If I’m in Habs management I’m looking at division title and coming out of the east. It’ time to make a leap forward. Of course there are mitigating circumstances like injuries, but the goals should be set high.

• HardHabits says:

I can’t say that I disagree with you there AB. In many ways I believe it’s better to lower expectations and exceed them rather than raise expectations and not reach them.

However this quote also rings true:

“The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.” – Michelangelo

The Habs should be aiming for the Division title. I am just putting where they end up into perspective. Winning the division would be a major step forward. 100 points or better and not winning the Division would still be nudging in the right direction; that being a top 5 finish over-all.

• I think we’re in full agreement here. I wouldn’t see it as a failure if they don’t win the division, especially considering how good Boston and Buffalo are. But I would really like to see them make a break in the playoffs. A season with fewer injuries would really help that.

I think you would agree with me in that I’m a little tired of the Habs being seen as a low expectations team. It’s always nice to prove everyone wrong, but it’s better to be a front runner.

• I think we’re in complete agreement here, HH. I don’t think it would be a disaster if we didn’t win the division, especially considering how good Buffalo and Boston are. But I’d like to see a playoff run worth remembering.

I think you’d agree with me here as well; it’s nice to be the underdog and show people they’re wrong, but it’s better to be the top dog. Time to take a step in that direction. I think this team can do it.

29. timothy13 says:

This Habs’ squad needs to build points early in the season. They have had their loosing streak in their exhibition series. It will end below 500 therefore Oct 6th against TO lets win and win big time. What the team needs is to score, check, skate, stop pucks between the pipes and do it all over again! Stay focused and determined but more positive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Habs go!

30. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

Id like to see JM give a chance to one of our young guns like gallger or palushaj to make this team and play with cammy on one of the top 2 lines and balance our top 3 lines.

31. slamtherimtim says:

Does anyone know if Markov is skating or not

32. C_exacte says:

opening night at the ACC reminds me of weekend at bernie’s

33. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

this is my knock on Josh georges, I love the guy, he does all the small things nobody notices, except the one that matter most to the team, and thats take a proper salery for a player like himself.

he has way to many fans that hype him up, hes solid, but hes not great.

• shiram says:

What’s wrong with his salary? It might be a bit high, considering he is back from injury, but he looks better than ever.
      He even took a year deal when he wanted multi-year.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I’m just trying to say georges does all the small things on the ice, that matter for the team and dont show up on the score sheet, but he wants to get paid for those contributions, and thats the ironic part. unfortunly players dont get paid for those things. If he wants to make 3 4 million, try scoring some goals,

think about it, when did he gain all his popularity, it was 2 seasons ago when paired with gill, great PK unit. I admit, but you think other teams are worried them pinching in?

Georges needs to understand, hes in a great sitution here, especially with his freind price here, and he can be easy replaced by a guy who will take less to be in his postions, and also be able to do just as much if not more then he can.

• RGM says:

I’m not sure where you’re coming from when you say that he didn’t “take a proper salary for a player like himself.” He signed a 1yr-$2.5M deal this summer. The main hangup wasn’t dollars, it was term. A guy like him, who was never drafted and is always having to prove himself, is gunning for the long-term security of being in the NHL for years to come. He loves Montreal and he wants to be a part of the club for the long term. Coming off his injury, however, the club wanted a “show me” season and if Josh performs like we know he can I believe he’ll get rewarded with a 3-5 year deal next summer, all while taking a proper salary for a player like himself.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

34. ZepFan2 says:

Where is Andre Kostitsyn?

———————————————————————-
    Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

35. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

has anyone else noticed how we have about 5 7th defecemen on our team?

• samTHEman says:

Weber
        Yemiln
        Woywitka

Diaz and henry hamilton

sad I know

man our d sucks
        if it wasnt for subban, wed be real weak, gorges is good, but over rated, and gills true strenght is the PK. MArkov hasnt played in hockey in about 3 years.

This is a real weak unit. especially with injuries, which we have been accumlating like flies on shit that last few years.

• sane hockey fan says:

Campoli averaged 19 min/game last year…yeah 7th d alright. If you are gonna post, at least try to make it look like you know what you’re talking about.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

well maybe in Ottawa my friend, but this is montreal. He isnt a top 4 he battling for the last 2 spots. He didnt get signed to a team this late because hes a star. so if you think compoli was a good pick up for this team, well you better do you research and learn what your talking about.

The only way he becomes a factor is through injuries. and honestly mara at 1 million sounded like a better deal to me.

36. gohabsgo25 says:

a lot of players are due to injuries, you cannot send down a injured player it will be agianst the cap.

list of injured players

Desharnais, D – Upper body, practicing.
    Eller, L – Shoulder, practicing.
    Markov, A – Knee, skating on own.
    Moen, T – Lower body injury, out one week.
    Pacioretty, M – Flu virus, practicing.
    Subban, P.K. – Back, practicing.
    White, R – Groin, setback, will miss season opener.

Bishop, H – Injured during preseason, extent unknown.
    Fortier, O – Unknown injury, extent unknown.
    Leblanc, L – Shoulder, not cleared for contact.
    Nash, B – Shoulder surgery Sept 21, out indefinitely.
    Nattinen, J – Unknown injury, day-to-day.
    Schultz, I – Leg injury, day-to-day.

37. avatar_58 says:

Why is Henry still here? Why is Woywitka here at all?

38. adam76 says:

Anyone else getting worried?

@teamadam76

39. Kooch7800 says:

the regular season is coming soon. I am curious if Yemelin is going to stay with the big club. I haven’t been overly impressed with his play so far but he is still adjusting.

Speaking of cuts, I am surprised Schultz hasn’t been cut. I did not on his stats he is listed at down over 20 pounds from last year

40. shiram says:

renhockey Renaud P Lavoie
    #bulldogs Philip DeSimone 1 year / 2 way (AHL + East coast league)
    For those wondering about the contract.
    If I understand correctly that means he does not count against the 50 max contracts the Habs can have?

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

41. habs12 says:

Weber is gone once Markov comes back. Not good enough on the back-end and just another small forward up front. Got some PP skills and value as a utility player, but is far more valuable packaged with a low-end pick/mid-level level prospect at the deadline.

42. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

spacek is soft

• samTHEman says:

I can’t stand watching him. Yes..he’s a veteran and brings experience and occasionally makes a nice chip or defensive play (was great in the Caps series)…but he’s just always a step behind the play and doesn’t use his muscle. I’ve seen him in a t-shirt playing soccer with the guys before practice and he lost a ton of weight. He looked ripped and built yet he gets knocked off the puck as easily as stealing candy from a baby.

Who was his defense partner in Buffalo?

• Ton says:

who cares useless he is. Worst signing. I saw game 4 live last year and he cost us the game. if you watch him on the entire ice surface he is lost, he will cost us games this year.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I coouldnt agrreee more, he does make occasional nice pass, I’ll give him that, but he turns over the puck ALOT, hes put of position ALOT, hes weak in the corners and in front of the net, hes not physcial, he dosnt score( thats why we got him, supposed 1 times) and plus hes sign for 4million, hes soo garbage!

• samTHEman says:

He shoots alot less now. He used to average 150~ shots and score roughly 10 goals a season. We’ll see how he pans out in the season

43. shiram says:

Groulx working with Budaj, neat.
    JM communicating with the new big dog, cool.
    PK skating, awesome.
    Campoli’s #, well that’s fine I guess.

Carry on.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!