Canadiens upbeat, happy for Gill

upload_feedback

The talk in the room after practice was about satisfaction with recent performances, record notwithstanding, a milestone for Hal Gill, who will play his 1000th NHL game Thursday night in Pittsburgh.

AUDIO of Jacques Martin.

1. ManApart says:

Kessel is God?

Leafs > Habs?

At least so far, I’m afraid so

Leafs lead the North East and along with Washington, Philadelphia and Detroit haven’t lost a game in regulation yet.

• Habfan29 says:

we pale in comparison, need to clean house get rid of Count Chocula and the Booberry. I am tired of seeing smurfs trying to screen the goalie on PP, with Cole and Patches sitting on the bench. Why do we continue to put up with the Gomez? Send to the minors already or trade him to a team that needs to get to the bottom of the cap, take anything back for him and free up a space for a kid that wants to play. News flash we ain’t making the playoffs this year….

• SeriousFan09 says:

Dallas leads the Pacific, Colorado leads the NW. Only teams leading their division now who could actually lead in April? Pittsburgh, Washington and Detroit and Detroit’s going to have Chicago to contend with, Pittsburgh have PHI on them.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

3. VONLEBARON says:

I got one question for Someone to answer for me. What does J. Martin actually write on that piece of paper he got anyway? Is he playing X’s and O’s with his assistants, or just a good ole game of hangman

4. VONLEBARON says:

Oh, sorry almost forgot, lets put desharnis and gionta as the 2 guys on each PP unit that will screen the goalie. It will work great if every goalie in the NHL was 4’5″, i bet they wouldnt be able to see the puck for sure with these 2 monsters screening him.

5. VONLEBARON says:

Do some of u guys even watch the habs or hockey for that matter at all. The problem for the last few years has been nothing only management, and the fact that we are not ALOUD to have any english speaking ppl in those roles. here are the points:

Gauthier: who has he signed with size and ability. What did we get for HALAK. Eller not bad, but could have got way more.

Dumbo (aka J. martin): WHAT THE F*** has he done. Lets bring up a Dman from the AHL that is PP specialist, and has a bomb of a shot from the point and put him as a 4th line checking forward and not give him any powerplay time. I bet Weber lovesw that, and is gonna excel for sure. Lets put our top faceoff man(Plekanec), and put him on the pioint for the PP, and substitute our 30-35% faceoff man (Desharnis) and smallest guy on the team in his place. And while we are at it, let’s put a 4th line checker (Moen) on one of the top 2 lines cause his hands are sick, i mean bricks. THEN we will give (Darche) top line minutes and all the PP time he can get. Anyone got a water bottle, cause his hands are on fire they are that hot. THEN when we are down a goal in the third period like we were against BUF the other night, we will put Gorges out there to go coast to coast and tie the game up for us. And then we will demote Kostitsyn to 3rd and 4th line duties because or team is so stacked that its ghard for him to make the top 2 lines hey. He cant shoot, cant skate, or hit. Oh yeah, he lead the team in hits last year and probably one of the better wrist shots in the league. But maybe he will turn out to be junk and past his prime because he is 40 yrs old like his brother, and his brother wasnt any good, he only was in the top point getters in Nashville after gautier (moron) traded him. Then we will have Budaj (aka swiss cheese) as our back up. Then we will sign Cole at 4.5M and put him on the 3rd line to start the yr, and give desharnis and darche all his PP minutes. How about we resign Paul MAra again for the 3rd time becuase that guy is like a fine wine gettin better with age. And maybe we will hope that campoli returns, cause everyone who has him as been waiting on him for the last 7 seasons to break out, maybe the high powered habs will make that happen. I wonder if someone has told Martin that the red line doesnt count for a 2 line pass anymore, cause that NJ style trap he tries to do after they get a one goal lead doesnt work anymore hey. Maybe it is also a pre-requisite to be veteran to make the team, cause if your young and make one simple mistake you get benched. If i can remember, they brought up Weber last season to play the PP, and he had 32 seconds to prove himself to the management, then darche got a stupid penalty and that was the end of the PP, Weber got benched for the rest of the game. Does Martin no what a forecheck is, cause this 1-3-1, oops my mistake, this 0-0-5 approach doesnt get u the puck hey. How bout we try dump and chase, but dont chase, that will work excellent. This is just off the top of my head, and making me stomach sick, if u guys cant see what is wrong with this team, u dont watch hockey.

6. habbernack says:

Pens… more than 27 mil in cap space on the sidelines tomorrow night
    Lost their top 3 centers Staal, Malkin and Cros for half the season last year and ended up with 106 pts

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

I suggest the Habs follow the Detroit model. They need a Steve Yzerman.

8. TINMAN17 says:

That’s right, he is that talented, but his BS tough guy routine wouldn’t fly in MTL. We simply don’t look for that type of player. You should know that. Cheap shots, gang-ups and fists first aren’t what we are about…for one reason or another.
    Who would be suing who? The ice is most definitely not the street…just saying. Loudmouth…ok. Enjoy the next game.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

9. caladin says:

Enqvist and palushij sit when cammy and white come back. Eller or white play center

10. Mattyleg says:

Crap, what’s with these Laffs?
    Ils petent le feu, as they say this end of the 401.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Effin leafs get lucky on goal 2 and now goal 3 all momentum gone for the Jets.

12. Mr. Biter says:

Reasons for game loss to Sabres:
    a) bad decesion by Georges leads to icing call
    b) lost faceoff (again) leads to pass to wide open Sabre
    c) So wide open Timo could have scored it.
    Now to hindsight. So far this season Ak has played better than I thought he would/could and I would have liked to see him gone last summer so PG was right there, but I fear AM will be gone a long time and we should have kept the Wiz. Lastly for tonight when Cammy & White come back, who sits? Please no Gomer’s cause he’s not gonna sit.

Mr. Biter

13. DEANDALLEY says:

If a team has to rely on the Goalie to win them every game then it is not much of a team at all, right Habs!

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

14. Mark C says:

Here’s a fun stat: Max Pacioretty is second in the NHL in shots. He’s five behind Neal in three fewer games.

• punkster says:

And tied with dozens of other guys for 32nd in total points. Does that say something about the Habs scoring? Interested to know where Gionta is on shots.
      Edit…around 100…
      Edit yet again…this is nuts…too early in the season to pick up trends or anything meaningful from these stats
      One more edit…hey, I like this, I can talk to myself just like at ho…oh, never mind
      ***Subbang Baby!!!***

• SPATS says:

Gonna be the feel good story of the year in the NHL. Is there a comeback/rookie of the year award? He’s a lock

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

Palushaj should back be in Hamilton on their 1st or 2nd line working on being what he is, an AHL calibre sniper. If he was an NHL capable sniper shouldn’t he then be put in Cammy’s place on a top line? If he isn’t, why bring him up in the first place?

IMO the Habs should have brought up a player like Ian Schultz instead for the 4th line. Palushaj isn’t 4th line material, Schultz is. I will also go so far as to suggest that with that one simple difference in the line-up for the Habs it could have meant the difference in providing enough of a physical edge for them to have squeaked out a win against Buffalo.

That would be if JM knew anything about matching lines. To Gomez’ credit he did nullify Gaustad. You can see Emelin wasn’t going to do anything.

16. avatar_58 says:

Can Komisarek suck any more than he does now? I don’t always say “I was right” but I do not regret wanting that deadweight traded a whole year before he left. I saw his crap play and wanted his ass out, but others claimed he would be our future captain.

Hah.

• SPATS says:

Remember when Lucic beat him silly, then he was out with a an injured shoulder along with his bruised ego. To pep him up Carbo put him behind the bench… and then Carbo was gone! LOL

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

17. TINMAN17 says:

@jlgib21 Sportsmen? Seriously, dude, are you serious? He is a punk. Believe me, if I ever happen to come across him in the North End in Boston, where he lives, I would have no qualms about telling him so. I’m no tough guy, but neither is he, so I think I would be ok. I do like how you seem to think he would have fit in in Montreal, interesting even. But I think that we would need 3 or 4 more tough guys so Hortons act could play in Montreal. See, when you’re a (deleted) and can only be a tough guy when around actual tough guys I don’t think being a tough guy works out so good. BTW I am not psychotic, maybe some kind of socio-path but not psychotic, I think maybe you have your psycho-analytical catch phrases mixed up. But yeah, if he was still a functioning member of society but couldn’t play anymore I wouldn’t care in the least, much the same as all my friends ( I am from and live next to Boston) said about MaxP. Thanks for playing.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

18. Say Ash says:

Komisarek in fine form tonight. I miss him so.

19. HabFanSince72 says:

” The talk in the room after practice was about satisfaction with recent performances”

Wow!

Just wow!

20. Anti JM says:

Cole Pleks Cammy
    AK DD Paccioretty
    Gomez Eller Gio
    Moen Enqvist Darche

PK Gorges
    Emelin Diaz
    Gill Weber

21. avatar_58 says:

Oh btw for those blaming Price for this – should be fun when Budaj starts yes?

• J_P says:

I dont get how anyone is blaming price right now. In my opinion, anyone who is blaming price right now is an idiot (and I rarely come on here and call people idiots).

vs Toronto – we got shut out
      vs Winnipeg – We won and he only allowed one goal
      vs Calgary – We only scored one goal and generated very little offensively and defense was suspect
      vs Colorado – Defense was terrible, but Price has to share some of the blame for that one.
      vs Buffalo – He only allowed two, and the offense only scored one

Except for the colorado game, I fail to see how any of our losses are Prices fault. Is he supposed to get a shutout every game? I dont get it… Its a team game, and right now, the team isn’t playing like a team.

• Propwash says:

It’s the easy way out.

_____________________
        Dooooooooooooooomed!™

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I’ll be an idiot. The losses are not Price’s fault alone, but he has had a poor start. He’s not on his game. He’ll find it, but it’s a false argument to say people are blaming Price for the loses. In the long run, he’ll get the team many more points than he’ll cost it, but this week, he’s made us feel 2 years younger at times.
          Miller out-goalied him, and that won’t happen often. But it did happen.

• naweed235 says:

The problem with Price right now is that he is failing to make that crucial save that could change a game… Elite goalies need to find a way to do that and he is simply not doing it right now… It seems like every single mistake the team makes we get scored on…
        That’s why “People are blaming Price right now”

• I haven’t seen anyone blaming Price. He’s earned his spot. Plus, he’s not the one shooting pucks into the chests of the opposing goalies.

Shane Oliver
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

22. ProHabs says:

Happy for Gill. Only a matter of time before he joins the other elites in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

I don’t know why everybody is panicking.

26 MONTRÉAL
    27 SAN JOSE
    28 WINNIPEG
    29 OTTAWA
    30 COLUMBUS

I might start panicking during the Habs 4 game win streak in November but that will be tempered by the 5 game losing streak that’ll follow. My prediction: the Habs should be good for 12 points out of a possible 28 for next month.

24. Bill J says:

Tweaked!

Over under on how long JM lasts ?

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

He seems to be in good health, can afford good medical treatment if he is abroad.

I would say he will live into his late 80’s. I will go with 87.

• Bill says:

He’ll last the season for sure. If the Habs miss the playoffs, he gets promoted to like assistant GM or executive something-or-other. If the Habs make the playoffs … contract extension!!

Full Breezer 4 Life

25. savethepuck says:

Anyone hear if there has been any mention of any possible Bruin’s suspensions from last night? There’s nothing on NHL.com

Carey Price

The difference between winning and losing is minute in the NHL but it’s also the difference between being an also ran, a bubble team or elite.

Carbo’s team that won the Eastern Conference and the scoring race was a team that if memory serves me correctly won a plethora of games that season by 1 goal. I suspect the flip side for these Habs. IMO they will lose more games by 1 goal this season than they win by 1 goal.

27. slamtherimtim says:

A lose is a lose , believing you played well , is nice but guess what you still lost , so we are at 2 games where they played well but just happened to lose , the team put less pucks in the net then the other team , doing things well , not well enough to win , cant we tweak the system instead of the lines every period ,
    thanks

28. j2w4habs25 says:

Gills 1000th game.
    Price’s 100th win.

Sounds very good for a win in PITT tomorrow. GO HABS GO!

Carey Price #31

29. LA Loyalist says:

saw a little kid with a Dr. Seuss t-shirt that said “Thing 1″.

Wouldn’t that be a great NHL defensive pairing? “Thing 1″ and “Thing 2″?

Too bad the Sedins have NO sense of humor.

30. JF says:

A few people here are expressing a bit of concern about Price. Believe it or not, he’s my biggest worry right now. He looks like the Price of two years ago, the year Halak stole his job. That year he played quite well most nights, but could not make the key saves in close games. Most games that he played we lost by one goal. I don’t know what’s wrong with him, but, except for the Winnipeg game, he hasn’t looked sharp. Last night was obviously better than the games against Calgary and Colorado, but last year’s Price almost certainly would not have given up that fat rebound which produced the first goal, and might even have had the second. If Price does not get back his A game, we won’t be winning too many games.

• LA Loyalist says:

Do you think it’s Price or confusion in the D in front of him? Or a combination thereof?

• Habzfan says:

I agree Price hasn’t been as sharp this season as he was last season but aside from the Colorado game he hasn’t been that bad. Our bad start has a lot more to do with forwards who aren’t being responsible defensively and an inexperienced defense that has made some bad decisions in this short season. I am more concerned with our inability to score goals. Out of the four losses we have suffered only once did we manage more than one goal! Price would have had to get a shutout to get a win in two them and even score one to win against T.O. The Price is still right in my book!

• JF says:

I agree Price hasn’t been bad, but he hasn’t been great either, which he was more often than not last year. You’re right to point to our anemic offence – but that makes it even more imperative that Price be great. He has to be able to win low-scoring, one-goal games. What I’m seeing from him so far doesn’t suggest that he’ll be able to. I hope I’m wrong.

31. Danno says:

“The good thing is we’re still positive” PK

Really?

The lips say one thing but the face tells a different tale…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• piper says:

Can someone tell me if Plekanec has a no trade clause?
      I think my grandmother could have buried that one into the open net last night and the game is over. Never been a fan of him as a top liner. Should send him with Weber or Dias for a decent scoring winger with size.

32. Neutral says:

There were a few line combo’s thrown around, here’s what I would like to try.

Cammalleri – Plekanec – Kostitsyn
    Pacioretty – Desharnais – Cole
    Palushaj – Eller – Gionta
    Moen – Gomez – Darche/Engqvist

should Palushaj not work out, replace him with moen

• habbernack says:

Why would you break up the one good line we have going
      You’re in JM mode

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
      attitude determines how you do it

33. LA Loyalist says:

A walk with Bob.

5 am. Along the St. Lawrence. Bob carries a cinder block and a chain.

Bob: I’m sorry this didn’t work out – for both of us.
    Scott: I guess this is “the talk”?
    Bob: Yes. Scott. You’ve been floating for two years.

Bob wraps the chain around Scott’s ankles.

Scott: But I trained hard all summer!
    Bob: Not hard enough, I’m afraid. I made JM give you 20 min a game. What did we get back? Squat.
    Scott: Maybe I just need glasses! Then I could find the net.
    Bob: You get to keep the money, by the way.
    Scott: Well, that’s ok then. I was worried there for a minute.

SPLASH!!!

34. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Miller came in last night looking like he was ready to show the new kid who was the better goalie. He won that one, hands down. But Price wasn’t fighting the puck the way he has been, and his shoulders didn’t look like his best friend had just run off with his dog. He moved more quickly and looked less foggy than he has. For a couple of games, he had that 2009 look to him. He’s learned, and he’ll win the next match-up with Miller. He lost this one hands down.
    The rest of the team were fine. They lost. Good teams do. The forwards were flying, the D was more effective and the goaltending was mediocre. But the goaltender is a good one, and once he has his game back, the show will be better to watch.
    I liked how calm Diaz was on the scoring rush.

35. naweed235 says:

They boys have been playing better and better every game… I see them changing this losing trend and turning it to a winning streak pretty soon… And as much as I like Price, I think it’s safe to say that if it was not because of him we would have atleast 2 or 3 more wins this season… I mean come on… we played a nearly perfect game last night andthe only 2 mistakes ended up behind the net… an elite goalie always finds a way to stop that crucial puck be it with his gloves or his nutz… which Price has clearly failed to do… i think it’s time to see what The Budha can do… maybe let Price clear his mind a lil

36. Ozmodiar says:

I think we should put Gomez on a line with Mikkel Boedker and Radim Vrbata.

37. Sean Bonjovi says:

last season, as a 21 rookie Lars Eller was better at centre than he was on the wing. After 3 games this season he looks like a better left wing than he was before. Is it not foolish to think that a 22 year old centre in his second NHL season can’t learn to play the wing?

*bonus points for any reply that does NOT mention Gomez!

“Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty”
    – Sean Bonjovi

• 24 Cups says:

Weakness down the middle has been this team’s biggest Achilles Heel for over a decade. Gainey’s inability to address the problem may well turn out to be his legacy.

The fact that we brought in Leblanc and Eller bodes well for helping to rectify the problem during the next few years. There’s some talk that Leblanc should be a winger so I can’t see it happening for both of them. If it does, then I’m giving serious thought to becoming a Stouffville Clipper fan.

4th line centres are a dime a dozen so I could see Pleks/Leblanc/Eller/ and a cheap UFA as our future core down the middle in two years.

My bonus points can be sent to the LCBO for future redemption.

• cuzzie says:

Gainey’s legacy is the Gomez trade. The Rangers should have given us a first round pick just for taking him off their hands. What a effen lousy trade. Can you imagine Subban and McDonough as a pairing.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• That’s part of Gainey’s legacy, the worst part.

However his legacy is also Carey Price in 2005 when most people wanted us to take Gilbert Brule.

His legacy is also taking a risk on some young kid who was “too raw” for the NHL in P.K.Subban in 2007.

His legacy is trading Craig Rivet for some unknown punk who couldn’t even crack the roster right away named Josh Gorges, along with a late first round pick that ended up being a bust until last season named Max Pacioretty.

Better to look at the whole picture instead of the bottom corner, don’t you think, Cuzzie?

• LA Loyalist says:

We’re losing. That’s the picture we need to look at.

• cuzzie says:

Gorges was a throw in. The credit for Price should go to Timmins. Thank Tampa Bays old ownership because Gainey was ready to trade Pleks, Higgins and pk for Lecavalier.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• Is that right, Shiloh? I thought Gainey disbanded an aging 8th place team that had one lucky year amidst many in mediocrity.

• J_P says:

I see what youre saying andrew, but at the end of the day, what are the habs over the last two seasons? Mediocre. We were mediocre before the rebuild, and we’re mediocre now.

We had one lucky run to the eastern conference final on the back of one of the most ridiculous goaltending performances Ive seen since Roy won us the cup back in 1993.

However, I do like our roster on paper much more than i liked our roster the year we finished first in the east. I think this team will be worlds better with a more “current” coach.

• J_P says:

I wouldnt get to excited about leblanc. I would put his absolute ceiling as another Tomas Plekanec. Which wouldn’t be a bad thing, but we already have a tomas plekanec, and as good as pleks is, he’s a second line center. We really need a first line center.

• I have to agree with Mr. Kerley, putting Eller on the wing permanently would be a waste. He’s the only center on the team with size. When Cammalleri comes back I can see Eller doing some 4th line time for a few games until another spot opens up.

• shiram says:

So he’ll be fine if he is ejected from the faceoff .

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

38. JD_ says:

Go Jets, baby!

39. chilli says:

I love Price, don’t get me wrong, but boy is he off his game. He’s faced so few shots this year compared to other goalies, and he just looks deflated.
    He’s better when he faces 40 shots than 20.
    Also, having seen what Cole brings….it ain’t happening this year. Let’s just get into the Nail Yakupov sweepstakes early. Habs are not good. I like the team, but we are young and inexperienced. Our leading scorer will get 57 points, just like last year.
    And if you think Markov, a guy who can’t even skate now and hasn’t played in 2 years, is our savior… think again.

Tre

I am thinking again, but drawing a blank.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

You should chill, chilli. I rather see my team play good hockey, creating lots of chances while being unlucky and making a couple of costly mistakes early in the season than to get completely outplayed like the Sabres yesterday. If Martin keeps Pacioretty away from Gomez, he´ll score 70 points.

• Bripro says:

“Habs are not good. I like the team, but we are young and inexperienced. Our leading scorer will get 57 points, just like last year.”

What game did you watch last night?
      Who dominated, for 60 minutes?
      I’ll give you Price being off his game. But the season is early.
      And Cole? He put a shot through an open seam last night, and just missed the far post. Miller never saw it.
      He bashed his way onto the blue spot or along the boards every chance he got.
      We’re obviously not watching the same game.
      You just have to take the “i” out of your name. ;)

• chilli says:

This is the game i watched: Cole: O goals, O assists, -1, 2 shots on goal.
        That shot you mention never got through – it hit the defenders stick and went way wide. Never had a chance of going in.

Leading scorer at seasons end will be Plex with 57 points.

That’s game I watched.

Tre

• LA Loyalist says:

We lost.

At home.

3 in a row for the first time since 1938.

I concede you can put lipstick on a pig, but you can’t make it fly.

• Jordio-oh says:

Erik Cole’s points per game over his entire career by month:

Oct: 0.51
      Nov: 0.65
      Dec: 0.59
      Jan: 0.70
      Feb: 0.59
      Mar: 0.68
      Apr: 0.65

Throughtout his entire career, October has been Erik Cole’s worst month.

Five games and you’re ready to jump into lottery sweepstakes?

There shall be no room for you in the cheer section in December when the team is starting to pick up steam.

What if they don’t pick up steam, you say? Well at least I’m going to be cheering for them to do so.

40. Kooch7800 says:

Max P is off to a great start, 5 points in 5 games and is second in the league with 27 shots in 5 games. I like this kid

41. The Bruins will take their goon tactics out again tomorrow nite against the Leafs. Once da Leafs gets up a couple of goals. Komisarek and Lucic shall tangle again. Leafs will answer the bell.

I wonder will Siedenberg get suspended for his boarding penalty in last nights game? Will their be fines for abuse of offical mouthing off from the bench? Its time for every team to run the goons out of town. Sooner or later they will stop their dirty play especially after the whistle is blown. Chara will meet his match in a couple of years. Jarred Tinordi? You heard 1st on HI/O.

Habs played a great game last nite and still came up empty. If the Habs continue to play like this, a win will come. Habs will get on a winning streak and everything will be forgotten. If Cammalleri is ready to return, Coaching Staff should put on 4th line and PP until injury is fully healed. The top two lines are looking great accept for Cole. Put Cammy back with Plekanec and Eller. Move Cole to the 3rd line with Gomez and Gionta. Move Moen to 4th line with Enqvist and Darche. Like would look something like this;

Eller – Plekanec – Cammalleri
    Kostitsyn – Deharnais – Pacioretty
    Cole – Gomez – Gionta
    Moen – Enqviist – Darche

GO HABS GO!!!!!

42. NightRyder says:

Prediction: Gomez ends his drought against the Pens, causing a collective Scoregasm at HIO and a spate of “see, he’s bouncing back” posts.

43. savethepuck says:

Good to see the guys sound positive. Regardless of only getting 1 point in the last 2 games, they were the better team on the ice both games. If they play like the last 2 games, a 3 or 4 game winning streak will change a lot of the negativity on here. Tomorrow night Carey Price gets his 100th win in Hal Gill’s 1000th game, then we embarass the over-achieving Laffs at home Saturday night.

44. Rainrocket16 says:

Sorry I just can’t be as up-beat as some of you. I see a mediocre season brewing…A good season for the young kids as they develop into prominent NHLer’s but I see us not making the playoffs and If we do it will be another quick out. Sorry, Hope I am wrong for sure.

45. TINMAN17 says:

I see a few posts about the B’s/ Canes from last night. IMO, they are getting the treatment they should have gotten last year. Interesting, now that daddy Campbell is gone and his kid won the cup, no one is letting the BS bullying and caveman routine play out the way it used to.
    Btw, I know it sounds horrible, but I would have been fine with Horton never being able to play again. He, in my estimation, is the consummate bag o’ sh!t. Only a tough guy when Chara, Lucic, or Thornton are around, which always works itself out to a 2 on 1 scrum. Some will say that is a teammate standing up for another, I called it bush-league. He is what Cherry should be calling a puke.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

• Kooch7800 says:

I honestly hate the Bruins way more than I hate the Leafs. The Bruins winning the cup last year was a disgrace to hockey and listening to some of my friends who are boston ticks me off. The Bruins were not that good but their fans make it seem like they were unstoppable……

• Mattyleg says:

Heh heh. Love your analysis of Horton.
      (still chuckling away)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Granted I hardly ever watched the Panthers, but did Horton play this way as a Panther? Perhaps some of our Floridian Hab Fans could answer my question. But watching Horton the past year and especially last night, yikes the guy has gone Full Metal Bruin.

• Kooch7800 says:

He was physical and his penalty minutes and hits are right around the same. he has always been a power forward. Something we lack. I don’t like his meat headedness but he is effective. Look at the difference between him and Cole as Power Forwards. Cole hits more but the hits are little bumps in comparison to Horton who tries to put people through the glass.

I was excited that we picked up Cole in the off season and I hope he starts to play better but I haven’t been impressed with his offensive skills of energy. I thought he was fast and liked to put pressure on….haven’t seen much of that so far.

• PG_doesnt_stand_for_Pierre_Gauthier says:

I despise the Leafs but I absolutely hate the Bruins. My boss and my co-worker are both Bruins fan and to hear them talk this morning, the refs were all over them and the Canes were the ugly ones, wow! They even defended Julien !?!

46. homerbowen says:

Now that I have calmed down here are my thoughts without my “Hab fan” blinders on.
    For the past few years I have commented that the Habs are too small, lack grit and intensity, poorly coached but not, I repeat not, lacking heart. While we looked good for the most part and Miller stood on his head we still can’t score (finish). This simply means we don’t have the skills (talent) to seriously compete at this level.
    We have soft players who tend to get injured and we can no longer use injuries as an excuse. Time for Molson to relook the Ottawa connection and clean house at the top. After watching parts of last nights Bruins game I see trouble ahead when we play them. Call the ambulance because we have no one who can stand up, and stay up, against at least 4 or 5 of the bigger, stronger Bruin players. Not a good start to this season and Gomex (the cancer) must take his $7.5M and move over to the Dogs.

• Mattyleg says:

This is you calmed down?
      Yikes!
      Last night’s game did not prove that we don’t have the skill to compete at this level. That’s a bit like saying that the Pens and the Caps didn’t have the skill to compete at NHL level in the playoffs two years ago, because the Sabres did last night to us what we did to those two teams.
      And I think we looked better than the Pens and Caps did.
      I don’t think we have soft players who tend to get injured. Is Cammy soft because his leg got cut? Physical human anatomy is pretty standard, and regardless of what team a player plays for, certain on-ice situations will always result in injury.
      Look what happened to the ‘bigger stronger Bruins players’ last night against a team commonly perceived to be small.
      I agree it’s not a good start to the season, but I don’t think Gomez is the scapegoat. Lots of players have to step up, and last night’s game was a step in the right direction for most of them.

• savethepuck says:

If the Bruins want to try to pull the crap against us they did last night’s game against the Canes, i welcome it. As long as the refs do their job, I’ll take the 4 points if they want to play most of the game shorthanded

47. vince8_31 says:

everyone just chill out,
    its still early, lots of time.
    stick by the boys cause they need us more than ever now.
    don’t just jump off the wagon cause they’re startin off rough.

the price will be right.
    just be patient.

• habs4_25th says:

I agree, do we all think that guy boucher is panicking because his team is struggling as much as we are with in my opinion more talented players? the lightening are 1-3-2. We will turn the ship around and will get back some healthy bodies when things are going good. Then we will be that much better. The team looks a little rusty out there but they will work out the kinks and be back at it.

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be it yours to hold high.”

• LA Loyalist says:

that’s the problem, there is NOT lots of time. The division will be as tight as prom night – and every point is precious. Look at New Jersey last year…

…do you honestly think our team is well prepared on a nightly basis?

48. Bill says:

Guh. Just watched the highlights of the Boston game, what a bunch of clowns.

Full Breezer 4 Life

49. NightRyder says:

I’d like to apologize to everyone for my bad math and to Mr. Boone for apparently screwing up the poll question.

Gomez has gone 41 games without a goal (including playoffs), not 37 as I listed before. He last scored Feb. 5 against the Rangers.

Correct numbers:
    0-for-this season
    0-for-last year’s playoffs
    0 goals in 41 games
    1 goal in 52 games
    2 goals in 59 games
    3 goals in 66 games
    8 goals in 110 games

-28 during those 110 games

NHL cap hit: $7.357 million; 11th in the league

• Mattyleg says:

Is goals the right way to qualify his contribution?
      How about assists?
      I’m not defending him, just asking.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

You are also not allowed to comment on passes to open wingers who don’t bury the puck, or comment on his ability to carry the puck end to end. Clearly Gomez is the Devil and is causing misfortune in many fan’s personal lives.

• NightRyder says:

I often admire his ability to skate around the perimeter with the puck, accomplishing nothing in particular.

He is remarkably easy to defend, which is why teams simply play off of him and pay closer attention to his wingers, which makes it more difficult for them to score as well.

To HabinBurlington: I have no problem with Hal Gill at all, I just said he’s a pylon a lot of nights in the regular season. I’m happy to live with that given the late-season payoff. As for replacing Gomez’s minutes, you have to be kidding. You don’t think any, and I mean any, serviceable NHL centre couldn’t provide better production given 18-20 minutes a game?

• punkster says:

Try following the play to the end…his wingers have been choking.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

So Gill is a Pylon, assuming you want him gone, you want Gomez gone tomorrow, probably last night. And who are replacing these minutes. Can’t wait to hear DD will now be 2nd line centre going against far better checking lines.

I am in no way saying Gomez is deserving of his incredulous salary. But the reality is, he is the best 2nd line centreman we currently have. Gionta/Gomez combination is not working and I think it is time this combo is dropped. Would love to see what Gomez would do with AK and MaxPac.

The guy is strong on his skates, and can be effective.

• LA Loyalist says:

…further to your comment, the problem with Gomo being predictable and easy to defend – this makes Gomo’s wingers easier to check whomever they are as the line they are against know Gomo is no threat to do much. So he’s not only useless himself, I think he’s a boat anchor for whomever we put with him.

That, amigo-san, is it in a nut-shell.

• NightRyder says:

OK, let’s use your measuring stick. He has 16 assists in the 41 games and is a -13 since he last scored a goal.

• Mattyleg says:

Alright, it seems that those stats are damning.

But stats don’t tell the whole story, as we all know.
          Guys like Steve Begin and Metro weren’t great on paper, but they brought something.
          I think, as HabinBurl alludes to above, that we missed Gomer when he was injured much more than we thought we would.

• NightRyder says:

As I’ve said a thousand times, the “intangibles” argument is BS. Mike McPhee, Brian Skrudland and Mike Keane would still be good in the room and give the proverbial 110% but they can’t play anymore either.

And, in any locker room, when your highest-paid players suck so badly, it is polarizing.

I will never cheer against Scott Gomez when he has the CH on his chest. I will simply continue to suggest the franchise cannot move forward with him on the roster.

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t think (I could be wrong) that the players in the room consider poor stats to be proof of suckitude, which is what your stats-centered approach is suggesting.
            It would be better for more points, definitely!!
            But his teammates thinking that he sucks, and killing the room, because of his point-tally doesn’t come into it, I don’t think.

Glad you’re not a hater!

• LA Loyalist says:

I would add that Gomez floating like an O’Henry bar in your neighbours pool is

a) not the message we want to send to the kids and

b) a message to the other players that management doesn’t care.

• Tony McLean says:

Maybe Bob Gainey is still here because he is washing dishes to pay for it?

—————————————————–
      Carey Price’s favourite Greek philosopher is Mediocrates.

50. Jocko says:

just a few quick thoughts for anyone who may want to read them. First, I think the team is off to a slow start because the pre-season was used to see the prospects, there was never a night where the team we see now actually got into game action. Second, the line juggling is driving me crazy. This team needs consistency.

On another note, watchin McDonough last night, that hurt. He looked good.

Last, but not least, the Gooins got their come uppins last night. They looked good in the box with all those stupid penalties. Tell me if you don’t think Lucic looks like a sulking child at times. hope Horton gets his someday and maybe Chara can get hit with an errant slap shot someday! Hey, don’t mean to be so mean, but wearing that Jersey means you get whatever you have coming to you!

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

• Kooch7800 says:

McDonough did look very good last night. I am not sure why he was in that deal. Gomez straight up for higgins would have been fair in my books. The rangers get a salary dump and some scoring and we take up the monster contract and have a centre…

51. Chris says:

Great moment for Hal Gill. How many people foresaw all those years ago that Hal Gill would eventually make it to 1000 games played?

Gill was constantly mocked as a guy who couldn’t hit, skate, shoot or defend. Yet here he is, still standing tall.

Shows to go you what we fans know. :)

• NightRyder says:

Gill is a pylon many nights during the regular season. He is much, much better in the playoffs when the refs let a little more go. Let’s hope he gets a chance to display that post-season form this year.

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t think that Gill is a pylon on many nights.
        I say this every year:
        He is exposed in the early part of the season when legs are fresh.
        As things begin to tighten up, he becomes more and more valuable.
        The playoffs are the tightest of all, and at that stage he’s irreplaceable.
        I’m not sure I understand what you mean by the refs letting a little more go in the playoffs. Do you think he’s over-penalized during the season?

• savethepuck says:

He probably means the refs let a little more clutching and grabbing go in the playoffs and Skillsie takes advantage of that, but I personally don’t see it.

• NightRyder says:

Oh, I think he’s a pylon on many nights.

In the playoffs, there is a little more clutching and grabbing because the refs, consciously or not, give the players a tad more leeway to decide the game themselves.

Giving Hall Gill even a small window to put those big hands on you or impair you with his reach, he becomes that much more effective.

• Tony McLean says:

Absolutely right. He adjusted to the ‘new rules’ better than someone like Souray. It’s about experience. reading the play as it develops, positioning and boxing out. Blocking shots? He’s a huge obstacle to shooters. Hal is what he is, not Bobby Orr, not a pugilist or a big hitter but his contribution and mentorship particularly of PK is invaluable. Hal is solid and dependable. Take him out of the lineup right now and what kind of NHL experience would we have? He and Gorges are not flashy but they are settling and reliable.
          —————————————————–
          Carey Price’s favourite Greek philosopher is Mediocrates.

52. DEANDALLEY says:

Puck, if I was getting Millions of $$$ I would be upbeat as well ….

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

53. Neutral says:

end of December will give the big picture. right now they’re still trying to get it together. if they’re playing like they are now the end of December. they won’t have to worry about the playoffs.

• savethepuck says:

The last 2 games were the 2 best games they played all year. Saturday night Price was below par and last night Miller stood on his head. We should of had 4 pts instead of 1 in those 2 games but $#it happens.

54. Le Jadester says:

Gotta love today’s poll question.

Eller-Plex-Cole
    AK – DD – MaxPac
    Gio- Gomer- Cammy
    Moen – Enqvist – Darche

Although, I think Moen has been good with Gomer and Gio on the 3rd and somehow Eller needs to be moved to Center.
    A good third line aquisition would be nice…… a la Dominic Moore in ’10 or like the stupid Boonz picked up Chris Kelly last year ?

Just me trying not to hit the panic button. But if we lose to the Leaves on Saturday………..its hit the Panic button o’clock !

Habs, OLE !

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Not sure I like Cammy on the third line — he and Pleks have great chemsitry. I’d swap him and Eller. Eller was slated for our third line anyway (although at centre), where he was a lot more effective last year, but I think he’s showing that he’s adjusted to the wing.

• Mattyleg says:

I think the 1,2,3,4 lines theory is a bit silly.
        Our ‘Third’ line logged more than the other three last night.
        Does that make it the ‘First’ line?
        I don’t think it matters what order we put them in.
        I propose the following lines:
        N
        Star
        Brown
        BUT NOT IN THAT ORDER!

55. Bripro says:

Alright, I’ve spent the last 30 minutes reading over many posts. That’s part of my life I won’t get back.
    I’m trying to understand why so many are calling for heads!
    Gomez….JM…..
    Did we watch a different game last night?
    We’re always the same 3 musketeers to watch the game.
    And all three of us thought it was a great performance, except for Gorges’ brain dead clearing at the end of the period.
    But let’s be honest, he’s not very prone to those types of mistakes.
    They played very effectively, for 60 minutes.
    If they play like this all year, I’m definitely not worried.
    Not every team has a Miller in nets, and I think we’ll do just fine.

56. billylove says:

It’s painfully obvious to see that Gomez is simply done as an impact player. There will be no change in his play. Wish that Eller would add about 15 pounds of muscle. Although AK’s play is more energetic, he is not an intelligent player and will always be prone to making bonehead mental mistakes as evidenced by his decision to abandon coverage on Vanek at the end of the second period. With no NHL experience, 61 and 74 are playing well and could be real assets as they should only get better as the season progresses. I think Max is getting a little over anxious in getting off many of his shots. He had more time than he thought on a couple of shots last night. Love his stride and with a little more patience he’ll be finding the back of the net frequently. The sheer number of quality scoring chances in the first two periods was ridiculous. But, we couldn’t take advantage and what should have been a huge breakout win turned into another painful loss. We need a win very soon or else the hole we’re digging will get awful deep.

• Le Jadester says:

I wouldn’t say AK46 is not an intelligent player but rather a nightmare defensively ? Offensively he’s brilliant IMO.

Habs, OLE !

• Kooch7800 says:

offensively he is ok, he shows flashes of brilliance and flashes of non existence. a forty something point guy is not brilliant

If he would consistently play like he is with Max P and DD he is a great player but lets see if he keeps it up.

• eric says:

Josh made the mistake of icing the puck. If it just goes into buffalos zone the period is over. AK played a great game last nite

57. sane hockey fan says:

Don’t know if anyone caught this but before last nights game, John Lu interviewed Martin and said something along the lines of “You’ve ruled out Markov for October, do you think he will be back in November?” to which Martin replied, he should be back in the lineup in November… Here’s hoping!!

58. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Just for fun, if Gomez was in Hamilton…

Cammy – Pleks – Cole
    AK – DD – Patches
    Gio – Eller – Palushaj (White on his return?)
    Moen – Engqvist – Darche

I dunno — it’s an expensive third line, but I think I prefer having Gomez there. Much as I love Eller at centre, he’s showing he’s adjusting to the wing too.

59. Mattyleg says:

I’d be curious to see how the Boston press and their imbecillic play-by-play guy glossed last night’s moron-fest.

60. Danno says:

Miller was Miller and it was an upsetting loss but there is a silver lining to it if you look hard enough.

Still, I’m getting tired of watching the Habs invent new ways of losing.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

61. HABZ24 says:

worst start in 12 years. miller was hott, we didnt totally suck, played decent. 2 for 21 on powerplay this year, thats 9,5 percent . thats gotta turn around.

GO HABS GO

62. I love the new poll. Send him to Hamilton, and if he gets picked up I’d be fine with paying half his salary for two years.

What a horrible October and I don;t see how players coming back from injury are going to help these guys score from 6 feet out.

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

63. JD_ says:

Ok, Millsie – *cough*lame*cough* – you and I are even.

Your ill-timed pokecheck attempt on Crosby sealed the deal for Canada’s gold – savin’ me from an imminent coronary – and, last night, you shut the door while the Habs almost doubled your team in shots.

Yeah, yeah, I know, hardly of similar implication or importance but, whatever. No more effin’ around from here on in. ‘Kay?

Effin’ effer.

Outshot 78% – 35% at even strength – outhit 50%, dominated on takeaways, more giveaways, 50-50 in the F/O circle, your ostensible 4th line center is rakin’ in $4.5M per over the next six years, and still – still – your team wins.

Lindy didn’t even really get his hissy fit goin’ full mojo.

Quite simply a game that was won by an incredible individual effort rather than lost and requirin’ a few rounds of dysfunctional fingerpointin’.

Is it just me, or is Boston turnin’ into one mental s*** show? Four 10-minute misconducts, an abuse of officials penalty by a player, and a tossed head coach. How often do you see the latter two, let alone in one game? All of this a couple of weeks into the regular season.

Now that’s entertainment.

64. I’m not worried yet. But it bears noting that if Leafs fans were expressing this much jubilation after a loss, and with a negative goal differential and four losses in five games, we’d be all over them. : )

65. DearyLeary says:

Another game where we outshoot the opponent, another loss. All 4 of our losses have come in games where we have dominated the play.

Jacques Martin’s system relies on quick transition. When we grind and cycle we get lost in coverage and we lose games. Axe Martin, get a coach that can handle a team with talent. I’m sick and tired of relying on Goaltending/Special Teams.

66. Mattyleg says:

(posted on other thread before I realized this one was open)
    Good morning, Lovelies,
    Nice to see so many smiling faces here today.
    Last night was kinda funny.
    It had been a while since I’d checked out the live blog, and last night was a bit of an eye-opener for me.
    I didn’t realize how many people can get SO angry about hockey. I understand that we in Montreal take hockey seriously, but people getting as negative and ranty and abusive towards our players and coaches, and as ‘throw-the-team-under-the-bus-after-the-first-five-games’-y as I saw last night shocked me a bit.
    I probably should have just kept my mouth shut because when people are in such high dander, it’s usually best to just stay away.

Something I like about sports is that there is absolutely nothing I can do to change things, so if the team wins, I am happy. If they lose, I am forced to be philosophical about the nature of the world, about myself, about many many things.

I find it fun to debate motivations, to play GM (I don’t do that much, but I enjoy reading it), to analyse players and their cycles of work/effort/success/failure, and to share happiness after a win, and commiserate after a loss.

The heavy-handed negativity and abusiveness is not for me, and I sometimes wish that people could put a little bit of perspective into their comments.

But then again, I don’t run the internet anymore (broke my little to and had to retire) so I’ll have to put up.
    Well, them’s my two cents for what they’re worth.

• +1!

• Psycho29 says:

I find the best trick is to do like I do: stay away from here after a loss….That’s when all the crazies come out.

• savethepuck says:

answered you on the other thread

• hansolo says:

The vitriol that has been spewed at the team and its management is so inflammatory that it can’t just be about the team’s actual play. For many, the team has been the object upon which anger at life’s vicissitudes has been displaced. All kinds of hopes (that won’t be realized) about other things in life have been projected on the team as well. So, when the team doesn’t win, the projected hopes are dashed and the anger becomes even more intensely focused.

Things aren’t perfect but we’re not DOOOMED either. All we can hope is that the team is competitive and we get our share of luck and we stay reasonably healthy. We may not win the Cup this year or next but winning the Cup in a 30 team league is so difficult that that can’t be the only benchmark of whether we had a good season. Yes, it would be nice to have a dynasty like the Red Wings have had and the Devils had a decade ago. But even they have had trouble replicating their success year in and year out. But if we are philosophically opposed to tanking (I’m not, by the way) then what we see is going to be the norm.
      Were we competitive, did we develop talent, did the team improve? Those are the benchmarks of a successful season if tanking isn’t an option. I think JM and PG do have a long-term plan. I, for one, am prepared to be patient. I’m all too well aware of the Habs’ dynasties in the 60s and 70s ( I started following the team in 1971), so the present Cup drought is painful for me. I live in Wisconsin and the Packers’ Super Bowl drought from the mid 1990s till this year hurt, too, as did the previous drought from 1968. But the Packers’ current GM, who was reviled by the fanbase after his first couple of years (they demanded he be fired, too) drafted well, made judicious free agent signings and was patient. I think we should be patient, too.

• Mattyleg says:

Nice post, Hanny.
        Especially that first bit.
        Oh, and the second bit too.
        Apart from the tanking thing.
        I can’t deal with that concept, and I think that the fact that intentionally losing to take advantage of the current rules is even in the vocabulary of the NHL means that their system is flawed and needs fixing.
        But patience is defnitely a good mantra.

• hansolo says:

I hear you on the tanking, can’t argue with your point of view. You make excellent points when you post. Please post regularly.

• Mattyleg says:

Thanks man.
            I usually just goof around on here because it’s risky to your mental health to stick your neck out too often!
            I’ll weigh in every once in a while, tho.
            You should post more too!

67. DEANDALLEY says:

What if every Habs player went to PG & demand that Martin be fired … LOL ….

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

68. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Last season Eller was far, far more impactful as a center, but it looks as though he’s finding the adjustment much easier this year, which gives us a lot more options when Cammy is back. Plus, he didn’t have a preseason at all. So I’m really impressed with him. With all of the forwards in fact. Even the fourth line looked good last night. I actually noticed Engqvist a few times.

I think the forward on the PP experiment should be over with. The PP looked the best against Colorado. Keep Emelin and Diaz back there on the second unit. Both seem to have decent shots. It’s no PK or Markov, but they’ll get pucks through and give the forwards a chance. And Diaz is starting to show a little bit of flair…

Carey and PK both need to step it up in the next while. Definitely not panicking, but it’s time to start winning some games. Can’t do it without them, especially with the depleted D.

Thus far, I’d say I’m pleasantly surprised by the forwards, a bit disappointed in Carey’s slow start but confident he’ll up his game, disappointed with the veterans and PK on D and pleasantly surprised by Weber, Emelin and Diaz.

• savethepuck says:

PK made a lot of mistakes in the first 4 games, but I think he played his best game last night. To me he lived up to his words that he’d play smarter. Unfortunately Campoli getting injured in the last preseason game is the reason we’ve had to go the route of the forward experiment on D on the PP. We obviously have PK, Weber, and Diaz for 3 of the 4. I’m hoping you’re right that Emelin may be the solution for the 4th guy til Marky’s ready.

• DEANDALLEY says:

If Carey can limit the oposition to two goals a game as last game then I am happy!

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

• Mattyleg says:

I’ve never been a fan of the ‘forward on the PP’ concept.
      All I keep seeing is Daniel Alfredsson flopping around hopelessly trying to play D in that playoff that year. I’m crap with dates and details, but you know what I mean…

69. badbalance says:

Im liking Emelin a lot, ery physical D a few more tweaks and he can be a scary D to play against, something our team is lacking, a D that will get in your face and that isnt afraid to throw his wieght around

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Agree. You can see his confidence growing game to game.

Diaz is tougher to figure out. Sometimes it looks like he’s fighting the puck, then he pulls off that goal…guess that’s just a comfort/adjustment thing.

I wonder if it wouldn’t be a bad idea to put Gill and Gorges back together and put PK with Emelin. Leaves two smaller D together (Diaz and Weber), but with our depleted D, not too many other options. An idea anyway…

70. JF says:

My initial reaction to last night was almost entirely negative, but, with a little distance, the positives are starting to emerge. Overall the Habs played an excellent game and probably should have won. They outworked, outskated, and outchanced the Sabres from beginning to end. Ryan Miller was the difference, as has happened so often when we face them. He gave the kind of performance we saw many times last year from Carey Price and are still looking for this year. Not that Price was bad, but he needs to find a way not to give up big fat rebounds. I hope we see his best sooner rather than later.

A big positive was the discipline. We usually take between four and six penalties a game. Cutting that in half would make it easier to establish a rhythm and avoid over-taxing our chief penalty-killers.

Our inexperienced defencemen are doing fine. Diaz gets better by the game, Emelin seems to be growing more confident, and I’ve always thought Weber was underrated. The critical mistakes have been made not by these guys, but mostly by the veterans.

There’s a lot of negativity around here, with visions of missing the playoffs or tanking, but maybe it’s a bit soon for that. Two seasons ago, the team won their first two games, then lost five in a row to stand at four points after seven games, but still made the playoffs. If after ten games we’re at or close to .500 and playing well, I’ll be encouraged.

• savethepuck says:

Good post. Regarding penalties, last night the Habs were all over them forcing them to take penalties on the Habs instead of the other way around.

71. Ali says:

Hey Jacques, normally I charge for this kind of stuff, but here’s a freebie.

Cammalleri – Pleks – Gionta
    Pacioretty – DD – AK46
    Eller – Gomez – Cole
    Moen – Engqvist – Darche

THEN DON’T EFFING TOUCH IT!

• savethepuck says:

First line is too small, move Cole up there, or even Eller. Then you’ve got it.

• Ali says:

its true, i keep hearing that Cammy and Gio signed here only because we got Gomez, they should have to play with him too.

• shiram says:

I don’t know about Cammy, maybe Gio. I know wanted to come here because of the competitive team and the chance to play with a PP quaterback specialist, Markov.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

72. habsnyc says:

I admire how Pittsburgh runs their team. Granted it is very easy when you draft Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Stahl, Letang and Orpik. But the team is never afraid to get better. They traded for Hossa when Montreal was afraid. They traded for James Neal who is a younger, cheaper, better version of Cole. Their role players step up when the leaders are injured.

Unlike Washington, the team has depth and competes well in the post season. Unlike Chicago, they did not have to dismantle their team due to salary cap errors. Unlike Montreal, they have a gold medal, Stanley Cup winning French Canadian goalie.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• SeriousFan09 says:

When did Marc-Andre Fleury “Win” a Gold Medal? Wasn’t at WJC and it certainly wasn’t at the Olympics, he didn’t dress for a game there.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• savethepuck says:

” Unlike Montreal, they have a gold medal, Stanley Cup winning French Canadian goalie.”
      I forgot, how many minutes did he play in the Olympics last year? And if you are saying he’s better than Carey, I don’t know how to respond. Carey will have his gold medal in 2014 and will do it by playing more than 0 minutes. As for the Stanley Cup, we’ll wait and see. He can’t do anything about the being French part. but everyone has their limitations.

• Jordio-oh says:

In order to get Hossa at the deadline that year we would have had to give up AK46, Higgins, Pacioretty and our 1st pick in 2008 (which we later used to trade for Tanguay).

In hindsight, I’m glad we kept AK46 and Pacioretty instead of taking on the Hossa loan. Don’t think Hossa would have pushed us over the egde in the series where we were smoked by Philly.

Hossa was a monster for the Pens in the playoffs, but they were also a much better team than us to begin with.

73. derfab says:

Cherry has much more class the Bruins. Outside of injuries, main problem with the Habs is that Gomez has no business on the PP. By rewarding him for poor play, Martin is not doing his job and it has led to this pathetic situation. Gomez is the 3rd pivot and should have to play his way back to respectability 5 on 5. He can’t be as popular in the room as he once was. If he pouts, sit him and let him find his own way out of the doghouse or town.

74. shiram says:

So Claude Julien was expelled last night, I just read, how funny.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• SeriousFan09 says:

Less funny when you remember that bugger has a SC ring. Four game misconducts, I hope there is some Shanabaning today.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• shiram says:

Meh could not care less that he has a Stanley Cup really, that’s past and gone for me.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• savethepuck says:

I’ll have to put Shanabaning in my new dictionary, first time I’ve seen it. But isn’t it Shanabanning?

• WindsorHab-10 says:

The entire Gooins team should’ve been expelled. What a sorry bunch. I’m sure Don Cherry will give his team the thumbs up Saturday night for being tough & playing the game the way Cherry loves. If there’s justice in this world, someone will go after that gorilla Chara & the equally worthless Horton.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

• shiram says:

Cherry needs to keep making them Rock’em Sock’em hockey dvd’s, so of course he will praise that style of play.
        But the less said about him, the better.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

75. Im usually all for bagskates. But the Habs played with determination last night.

-Correspondent for Inside Hockey. Check it out http://insidehockey.com/author/joe-baronello

Somehow I think HH is well aware of the tank possiblities.

How’s Andrei doing? Full Detox mode?

78. 1010 says:

Yeah…being ‘upbeat’with a loss doesn’t seem quite right to me either.
    I guess it’s their way of telling us fans to chill…a la Price.
    But I’m nervous. If you fall too far behind catching up with all these three point games can be very difficult.
    They have been exciting to watch the last couple of games.
    But we need points starting against Pittsburgh.

GO HABS…

79. savethepuck says:

The 4 min boarding penalty looked suspendable

80. Duracell3 says:

This. Or something from Julien possibly, it’s hard to say what his interaction was in full, looks like nothing happened though.

81. Malreg says:

The Seidenberg hit on Skinner looked just as bad as the Letang hit on Burmistrov, in my opinion.

Zero mention of a disciplinary hearing today though, so looks like nothing will happen, as usual.

82. Mark C says:

FYI: Seidenberg gets $3.25M AAV.

And someone else offered more, good thing you can still find fault with mgmt even when they dont sign a guy you don’t want them to sign.

84. avatar_58 says:

Should have traded him when they had the chance. Could have had a few leaf first round picks

85. SPATS says:

Without Markov beside him, Komo is only worth NHL base pay!

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

86. showey47 says:

Is 2 wins the difference between being a high seed and low seed? Cause thats all boston had over us during last regular season. The caps and sharks have been high seeds what seems like forever but never accomplish anything. Make the playoffs,anything can happen. Its been proven over and over again.

87. ProHabs says:

Unfortunately, The BIg BIrd wouldn’t be able to handle the stress of the job. He was stressed to the max coaching the LA Kings for crying out loud. The LA Kings. How can someone be stressed coaching in LALA Land.