Update on Price contract talks

The slow pace of Carey Price’s contract talks is “relatively normal,” his agent says.
John Kenney, Gazette

Nothing terribly significant to report on contract talks between the Canadiens and goaltender Carey Price, who has been an unsigned restricted free agent for a little more than a month.

Gerry Johannson, Price’s agent, says that the two sides “are not necessarily close, but it’s not that we’re not close in a bad way. We’re having good conversations and we both are commited to getting things done.” Johannson says the slow pace of talks is “relatively normal” and that his hope is to have a deal done by the end of this month or early next month.

The agent says he’s seeking a shorter-term deal, which would likely translate to a year or two.

It’s an unusual summer, of course, with the number of goaltenders changing address and teams’ rosters still taking shape. The Chicago Blackhawks’ decision to walk away this week from the Antti Niemi’s arbritration ruling has begun rumours in Montreal that the Canadiens would go after the goalie who led the Blackhawks to their first Stanley Cup since 1961. But Johannson’s understanding is that this is positively not true.

Johannson returned a call to Inside/Out as a courtesy. He agrees with Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier that Price’s contract should not and will not be negotiated through the media.

1. SeriousFan09 says:

His Gold Medal came from a superb group of skaters in front of him, he wasn’t playing like Ryan Miller was and Mller was the reason the Americans were in the Gold Medal game. Toews and the D were the reason Canada made it there.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

2. spos080808 says:

Doug Jarvis is now on the Bruins coaching staff.

3. HabFanSince72 says:

I love Kovy. He gave us some great memories, and the anti-Kovy sentiment one encounters sometimes borders on philistinism (you judge an artist by his best work not his worst).

But I think he might be too old now, and more so in a year.

The problem, as mentioned by others,  is what do you do with him if he’s not good enough to play on the top two lines? Put him on the 3rd line and the powerplay?

4. K-hab25 says:

Well, I guess I was right. I said the team probably wants to get him signed for 3/4 years and Price wants 1/2 tops. It makes sense when you think about it. Price knows he’ll get 55/65 starts this year, which could mean, if all goes well, a deal at around 4mill a year in his next contract or around 5 mill a year in 2 years, again “if” he plays well. He’s not Cam Ward, he can’t play like crap and fall back on the “he won a cup” thing. He’ll have to earn it, with 35/40 wins and a .915 sv% or better. Doable in my opinion. The team knows this aswell so there trying to get him to sign for 3/4 years at under 3 mill and put off having to give him big money for awhile. I can see both points of view and agree with both. I think if Carey gets his way, he’ll be signed for 1/2 years at around 2.5. If the team gets its way, he’ll be signed for 3/4 years at around 2.75. The money isn’t the issue, right now, it’s the term, but in a way the term really is, all about the money.

5. andrewberkshire says:

Kovalev wouldn’t fit on this team anymore.

6. Les Habitants says:

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

7. mike g says:

We can always use him the same way we did with Metro…

2nd/3rd line duties, 1.5 mill, 2nd line PP, etc…

I’m not sure if he’d be willing to take that, but if he is, I say why not. Metro scored 15 goals or so last year, I think Kovy could top that with 10 minutes per game plus PP time…

Anyways, just something to think about

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

8. absfan says:

Idiocy?  Luongo’s cap hit is an even 5.333M over 12 years.  Did we not win The Gold Medal with him?  Vancouver didn’t have the team to go far, never did.

djs MTL.

9. avatar_58 says:

I’m in Ontario….so….:(

10. Tharsis says:

??? lol are you having trouble staying focused? Or are you jsut trying to spread your hate like a shotgun blast?

Fate leads the willing, and drags along the reluctant.

11. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s not a checking line player and that means he pushes guys like Eller, AK or Pouliot down in depth (I believe they’ll all be good this year) so he can play instead on the Top 6. We have some older forwards in the Top 6 already, that unit would be well-served with kids.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

12. Curtoph says:

Where will this be posted?

My Uncle lives in Calgary, he said he might get me tickets!

13. mike g says:

Not even if he’d take a 1 year deal for 1.5 mill?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

14. andrewberkshire says:

I’m so glad he’s gone. I like him far more as a person than a hockey player. As a hockey player he’s a selfish individual, not a team player and most importantly a boat anchor for whatever line he plays on.

15. SeriousFan09 says:

Not at all.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

16. absfan says:

Gauthier blew it a few times… when he said Price was the goalie of the future without having signed him. Then he blinked and lost Dan Ellis (see how fast Stevie Y. picked him up for 1.5M) then had to settle for Alex Auld for 1M.

17. G-Man says:

Luongo is a HUGE disappointment. Let him and his insanely stupid contract stay with the Canuckleheads. $8 mill a year for a goalie with no Cup and is crap in the playoffs? Please, what idiocy.

18. SeriousFan09 says:

Right until we ran into a team that was 3 lines deep with offence that we couldn’t contain because we were missing our ace defencemen and our blue-chipper P.K. was around to step up for PIT otherwise it would’ve ended rather badly one round earlier.

Markov got his citizenship, he loves Montreal and would like to stay here anyway.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

19. mike g says:

Anyone else hope this dude comes back home after this season?….

Found myself on a Youtube roadtrip, and his videos kept me busy. They braught back a ton of memories…

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

20. bwoar says:

Sorry, no.  Price wants IN period.

21. absfan says:

Markov is making 5.5 M and is an UFA next year.  How far did we go in the playoffs without him?  Pretty far eh?

djs Mtl.

22. Storm Man says:

At 3pm mst you will see what jerseys both teams will have on. Im hearing the Habs in red. Are you going to the game?

23. matmacat says:

solely –> sol’ly

though most peeps wouldn’t know what you were trying to say…

24. Les Habitants says:

Lou’s contract?

No thanks!

P.S. Loungo grew up a Oilers fan

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

25. SeriousFan09 says:

Markov is worth more than Luongo in any case, Bobby Lou can’t carry a team lacking D and if we drop Markov, we’re putting ourselves in a hole there and he’s yet to prove himself a playoff performer, not to mention his contract is huge without truly proving he’s worth it yet.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

26. avatar_58 says:

I want some kind of nice jersey for the winter classic. PLEEEASE HABS? πŸ™ Every other team seems to get one. Just tweak the blue-strip white jersey if need be. Give me, the consumer fan, something to buy and wear with pride. (Y’know, other than my traditional red of course)

27. absfan says:

Trade Price and Hamrlik or even Markov to Vancouver for Luongo.  Price in BC, Luongo in Mtl., makes sense.

djs Mtl.

28. matmacat says:

It COULD be interesting, but we really have no say in the matter.

29. GrimJim says:

If I may suggest…

It don’t matter, th’job is mine solely.”

And to Curtoph, “th’job” is not the problem as contraction is a recognized poetic technique to reduce syllables to match the line’s meter

30. GrimJim says:

Silly, Tony, he wants a short deal because (1) He’ll have arbitration rights in his next RFA contract (2) He believes his win/loss stats will improve and he’ll be in a better bargaining position (3) Habs have more than 20 million in available cap space next year but only about 3 million this year.

Combined way better atmosphere for Price to bargain for a higher value contract

Think beyond the box, Tony.

31. Psycho29 says:

Maybe some people just have to complain about everything?

32. Bugs says:

Why’d you edit?

(Edit) Oops, my bad.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

33. Bugs says:

Aah, that’s why…

i counted 10 and toned down but it was 11…

Indeed. Sorry.

Hey, I’m letters, not numbers!

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

34. Curtoph says:

Yeah th’job is no different from the job… both 2 syllables

35. habs03 says:

I hated the red pads so much, Halak had really nice pads this year.

36. Bugs says:

Saw a post downwards got me to thinkin about our white jerseys.

Remember Team France’s 2006 World Cup white uniform? With that red, white’n’blue, holographic, I-don’t-what-motif crested across their middle? Please, if you haven’t seen it, look it up on Youtube or Google Images or whatever, it was stunningingly beautiful and really came across well on tv, not to mention the fact that it was PERFECTLY in tune with the Montreal Canadiens’s design.

I would LOVE to see that EXACT same design on our white jerseys. It would blend Tradition and Modernity and I dare say that not even the crustiest of conservative fogeys would find ANY reason to criticize it.

Please, look it up and tell me I’m wrong.

(uhh, make sure that’s 2006 and not 2010 because uhh…well, nevermind. allez les Bleus! august 11, Norway, every player suspended, new roster, should be a crazy one. be there, yo)

Those 2006 WC French white uniforms were to die for. Pure Montreal Canadian. All I’m sayin.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

37. GrimJim says:

Too many syllables in the last line, Bugs…

38. Mark C says:

He lost me forever with the “slap play.”

39. lenny says:

How dare you even remotly make fun of the chosen one! dont you know his pedigree?

40. Mark C says:

Price cannot be a UFA for another 4 years. Go learn something.

41. mbplekfan says:

Goalie values are low right now. Probably the lowest we’ve seen under this CBA.

Of course Price’s camp doesnt want to lock in a multiyear deal at this time.

Of course the habs want to lock up Price for 3-5 years.

Of course a compromise will be reached by training camp.

2 years 4.0 Million is my guess. 1.75 year one, 2.25 year two. RFA after that.

42. lenny says:

The negative feelings about Price are probably not his fault, rather the way Gainy forced him down our throats when he wasnt ready to be a full fledge NHLer…that and his famous hands in the air a couple of years ago as well as some mindless penalties that shows he’s nothing more than a child…i think thats a bout it, anyone else have resaons why some of us are not impressed??

43. mike g says:

I know TJ’s a forward…

I’m just thinking about him for my 3rd/4th line. He got 39 pts last year, 15g, and looks like he has some good speed and hands. He plays wing and center which is awsome…

You don’t see this guy scoring 50-60 points in the next 5 years?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

44. observer says:

the agent said absolutely nothing. why would he want a 1 or 2 year deal? and cheap possibly? because price wants to be a free agent soon so he can leave! but gauthier traded away halak thinking that price was going to be their fixture for years to come.

45. avatar_58 says:

I also enjoyed the retro brown beat up pads πŸ™‚

46. Bugs says:

There once was an upstart young goalie

Who said whilst canning coach Rollie

“I’m Le Priceberg, you see,

And with my pedigree

It don’t matter cuz th’job is mine solely.”

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

47. habstown says:

you’re just a jealous sob.

48. SeriousFan09 says:

Whatever works best for his goalie mojo, I’m in favour of. They’re a superstitious lot so if the country music mask and the white pads work best, go for it.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

49. TomNickle says:

Galliardi is a forward.  So if it’s just somebody from the Avs you’re looking at I would suggest Chris Stewart, Ryan O’Reilly or Daniel Winnik.

50. observer says:

“we both are commited to getting things done.”  — different things done! maybe price wants out period?

51. habs03 says:

I love the all white pads and the 100 years mask, thats what he wore at the end of the year, I’m hoping and guessing he is giong to stick with those.

52. habs03 says:

53. Mark C says:

Where are all the doomsayers now?

Reading between the lines this is all about term. Montreal wants a longer term, 4 years or more, for low money ($2-3M), while Price’s camp prefers 1 to 2 years, with the idea that Price re-establishes his value closer to $4M+ by the time of his next contract.

54. observer says:

The agent said absolutely nothing.

55. mike g says:

What about TJ Galliardi?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

56. bwoar says:

Habs want a longer deal for less $$$ per year, agent seeks short deal, more $$$ per year, which one will blink?  Tune in right before the golf tournament to find out.  I expect that both parties were/are waiting for Niemi to be signed before agreeing on a number.

Hard for the Price camp to argue the Niemi/Cam Ward post-cup range, but agent seeks Halak money.  Blues overpaid, protest the Habs. And they are right, which everyone in hockey knows, based solely on market and not on his great 2010 playoffs.

I expect Gauthier will blink and pony up once he exhausts all salary dump possibilities that could lead to improving the top 6.  He’s trying to win 2 battles with the same cap space right now, and won’t want to risk losing both.  Will he settle for Raffi Torres?  and how much will Torres settle for?  Not much else to ask right now.

Carey Price has no intention of holding out, it won’t happen in this market or any other, the kid isn’t that type.  Bold prediction: 2 years, 2.95m per year. Everyone’s a loser and we do it all over again once the rubber’s on the road.  No bad marks for either party, just business and the wild circumstances all at once.

57. joeybarrie says:

My hope is he becomes one of the greatest goalie’s EVER. The I get to rub it in their faces every chance I get. You know, its funny to me. I live in Wash DC, and in game 4 I had a line of people at me desk saying tonight was the last game, its over…BLAH BLAH BLAH. I told them all the same thing. With 24 Stanley Cups under our belt, we have learned to talk ONLY after you win 4 games…

Seems appropriate to Price. Everyone has already written his career off at 22 when MOST goalies havent even played a GAME in the NHL yet. Calling him spoiled and all this other nonsense.

The fans make me ILL too, but I will follow the wisdom of PROFESSIONALS  (like Dryden and Gaine) who have won the Cup themselves a few times over guys who biggest hockey move is to buy season tickets and most experience is to DVR the game and watch it twice…

AND trust me, when he does do well consistently and this city LOVES him with the passion they loved Roy. It will NEVER be let go. It will be in EVERY argument I make…

Funniest part is his stats are in the top half of the league and he is only 22…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

58. Storm Man says:

Maybe you should have taking HGH so you could have been a superstar.

59. ZepFan2 says:

Really, eh. Who does he think he is, Bobby Ryan?

– Steven Tyler

60. G-Man says:

Mr. Growth Hormone? Just another cheat.

61. avatar_58 says:

PS – as a Price fan I want to know what he’s wearing next season. Erm – his EQUIPMENT I mean. He said he wanted to go full-white near the end of last season, wearing the 100 years mask + pure white vaughn pads.

Is he going to get a new mask, the old blue one (my fav), the red reaper one (…eh) or the white 100 years centennial mask?

So sue me I’m a habs goalie nut and I love this stuff.

62. TomNickle says:

I hope you realize that you’re calling the goalie who DIDN’T request a trade twice the spoiled child.

63. Psycho29 says:

The nerve of actually negotiating!! πŸ™‚

Everone chillax! This will get signed, and we’ll have to find something else to bi&ch and moan about.

In the meantime I predict this update breaks the record for the highest numbers of posts on HI/O, including numerous profiles being deleted/terminated πŸ™‚

64. Storm Man says:

PARASITES is what most of them are.

65. TomNickle says:

Foote and Hannan are both gone after this season and Liles is rumoured to be traded every season but I wouldn’t gamble on Cumiskey Mike.

They have a lot of depth in prospects and while he may stand to see a lot of minutes in the future and possibly a substantial amount of powerplay time, their game doesn’t really revolve around working the puck up top on the powerplay.

They like to use the backdoor pass and a lot of walking from the halfboards.

A player like Kris Russell is Columbus or even a Jamie McBain in Carolina are far better options for offensive upside.  ESPECIALLY MCBAIN.

66. avatar_58 says:

I don’t understand why. I don’t get what he’s done personally. You liked Halak better? Huet better? So what, what does this have to do with Price? He didn’t trade them.

67. RGM says:

No bonuses are permitted on non-entry level contracts. As for your first sentence, I’m sure that Price is very glad you’re not his agent.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

68. joeybarrie says:

How did he act like a spoiled child? I think your mixing up Sergei Kostitsyn and Price…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

69. habs03 says:

First contracts that have bonus clause are for entry level players  and players aged 35 plus I believe. Second, it’s only been 1 month he is a rfa and I don’t see why everyone is so annoyed about him not signing yet, if he signs today or the day before camp what difference does it make. Also like the article on top stated, its not so much a question of money but rather term.

70. RGM says:

There, an update. Everybody take a deep breath.

I can see a short-term contract being a good thing for both camps. Right now, Price’s value is pretty low relative to where it could have been if last season went a little better for him. So if the player swallows a bitter pill for a year or two and takes less money, well that opens up some opportunities. Take a look at Plekanec.

Also, consider this: the Habs cap situation is not what anybody would call good right now. There’s not a ton of money around in the summer of 2010. However, next year there are a lot of contracts coming off the books that will free up a lot of money. So far the Habs have only committed $31.3M to salary next year. If Price signs a one-year deal for cheap this season and has a fantastic year it puts him in a much better position to negotiate a longer-term, larger money contract next summer. If that happens, the Habs will be more willing to oblige once they’ve been assured that Carey is indeed the man.

This is why sometimes it takes a while to hammer out a contract – moving parts, long-term strategies, short-term goals, agendas, etc.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

71. fuhgawz says:

wow people HATE Carey.  it isn’t even funny anymore

every second post is someone bashing the s#*t out of this kid i suggest step back and think would you like the same treatment done to yourself day in day out placed on the internet for the world to read.  some of you “fans” make me ill.  but eveyone has an opinion i just wish some would keep it to themselves as its getting VERY over played and annoying much like Celine.

72. Storm Man says:

A-Rod hits number 600 πŸ™‚

73. mike g says:

Someone who follows the Avalanche more than me, please answer this post. I’m starting a dynasty league NHL pool. It’s a 5 year pool, with unlimited trades, but you can only drop 5 players per year. There’s a salary cap, and 15 teams. So it’s gonna be a very deep draft.

Is it worth it to take a chance on a defenseman like Kyle Cumiskey as a late round d-man pick? How much offensive upside does he have?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

74. lenny says:

I would assume that after the past 2 seasons, Price and his agent would take anything the Habs threw at him. Let him show that he can actually play and not act like a spoiled child, then negotiate a better contract down the road. For what it’s worth Im tired of this kid being handed everything on a silver platter withought proving himself. And Yes i know he is a thorobred , but this aint the preakness…I hope his contract is insentive heavy so he actully earns his paycheck