Update on Price contract talks

The slow pace of Carey Price’s contract talks is “relatively normal,” his agent says.
John Kenney, Gazette

Nothing terribly significant to report on contract talks between the Canadiens and goaltender Carey Price, who has been an unsigned restricted free agent for a little more than a month.

Gerry Johannson, Price’s agent, says that the two sides “are not necessarily close, but it’s not that we’re not close in a bad way. We’re having good conversations and we both are commited to getting things done.” Johannson says the slow pace of talks is “relatively normal” and that his hope is to have a deal done by the end of this month or early next month.

The agent says he’s seeking a shorter-term deal, which would likely translate to a year or two.

It’s an unusual summer, of course, with the number of goaltenders changing address and teams’ rosters still taking shape. The Chicago Blackhawks’ decision to walk away this week from the Antti Niemi’s arbritration ruling has begun rumours in Montreal that the Canadiens would go after the goalie who led the Blackhawks to their first Stanley Cup since 1961. But Johannson’s understanding is that this is positively not true.

Johannson returned a call to Inside/Out as a courtesy. He agrees with Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier that Price’s contract should not and will not be negotiated through the media.

1. K-hab25 says:

Well, I guess I was right. I said the team probably wants to get him signed for 3/4 years and Price wants 1/2 tops. It makes sense when you think about it. Price knows he’ll get 55/65 starts this year, which could mean, if all goes well, a deal at around 4mill a year in his next contract or around 5 mill a year in 2 years, again “if” he plays well. He’s not Cam Ward, he can’t play like crap and fall back on the “he won a cup” thing. He’ll have to earn it, with 35/40 wins and a .915 sv% or better. Doable in my opinion. The team knows this aswell so there trying to get him to sign for 3/4 years at under 3 mill and put off having to give him big money for awhile. I can see both points of view and agree with both. I think if Carey gets his way, he’ll be signed for 1/2 years at around 2.5. If the team gets its way, he’ll be signed for 3/4 years at around 2.75. The money isn’t the issue, right now, it’s the term, but in a way the term really is, all about the money.

2. andrewberkshire says:

Kovalev wouldn’t fit on this team anymore.

3. Les Habitants says:

Canadiens.com

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

4. mike g says:

We can always use him the same way we did with Metro…

2nd/3rd line duties, 1.5 mill, 2nd line PP, etc…

I’m not sure if he’d be willing to take that, but if he is, I say why not. Metro scored 15 goals or so last year, I think Kovy could top that with 10 minutes per game plus PP time…

Anyways, just something to think about

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

5. absfan says:

Idiocy?  Luongo’s cap hit is an even 5.333M over 12 years.  Did we not win The Gold Medal with him?  Vancouver didn’t have the team to go far, never did.

djs MTL.

6. avatar_58 says:

I’m in Ontario….so….:(

7. Tharsis says:

??? lol are you having trouble staying focused? Or are you jsut trying to spread your hate like a shotgun blast?

———————————-

Fate leads the willing, and drags along the reluctant.

8. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s not a checking line player and that means he pushes guys like Eller, AK or Pouliot down in depth (I believe they’ll all be good this year) so he can play instead on the Top 6. We have some older forwards in the Top 6 already, that unit would be well-served with kids.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

9. Curtoph says:

Where will this be posted?

My Uncle lives in Calgary, he said he might get me tickets!

10. mike g says:

Not even if he’d take a 1 year deal for 1.5 mill?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

11. andrewberkshire says:

I’m so glad he’s gone. I like him far more as a person than a hockey player. As a hockey player he’s a selfish individual, not a team player and most importantly a boat anchor for whatever line he plays on.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

Not at all.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

13. absfan says:

Gauthier blew it a few times… when he said Price was the goalie of the future without having signed him. Then he blinked and lost Dan Ellis (see how fast Stevie Y. picked him up for 1.5M) then had to settle for Alex Auld for 1M.

14. G-Man says:

LMAO!

Luongo is a HUGE disappointment. Let him and his insanely stupid contract stay with the Canuckleheads. $8 mill a year for a goalie with no Cup and is crap in the playoffs? Please, what idiocy.

15. SeriousFan09 says:

Right until we ran into a team that was 3 lines deep with offence that we couldn’t contain because we were missing our ace defencemen and our blue-chipper P.K. was around to step up for PIT otherwise it would’ve ended rather badly one round earlier.

Markov got his citizenship, he loves Montreal and would like to stay here anyway.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

16. mike g says:

Anyone else hope this dude comes back home after this season?….

Found myself on a Youtube roadtrip, and his videos kept me busy. They braught back a ton of memories…

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

17. bwoar says:

Sorry, no.  Price wants IN period.

18. absfan says:

Markov is making 5.5 M and is an UFA next year.  How far did we go in the playoffs without him?  Pretty far eh?

djs Mtl.

19. Storm Man says:

At 3pm mst you will see what jerseys both teams will have on. Im hearing the Habs in red. Are you going to the game?

20. matmacat says:

solely –> sol’ly

though most peeps wouldn’t know what you were trying to say…

21. Les Habitants says:

Lou’s contract?

No thanks!

P.S. Loungo grew up a Oilers fan

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Markov is worth more than Luongo in any case, Bobby Lou can’t carry a team lacking D and if we drop Markov, we’re putting ourselves in a hole there and he’s yet to prove himself a playoff performer, not to mention his contract is huge without truly proving he’s worth it yet.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

23. avatar_58 says:

I want some kind of nice jersey for the winter classic. PLEEEASE HABS? :( Every other team seems to get one. Just tweak the blue-strip white jersey if need be. Give me, the consumer fan, something to buy and wear with pride. (Y’know, other than my traditional red of course)

24. absfan says:

Trade Price and Hamrlik or even Markov to Vancouver for Luongo.  Price in BC, Luongo in Mtl., makes sense.

djs Mtl.

25. matmacat says:

It COULD be interesting, but we really have no say in the matter.

26. GrimJim says:

If I may suggest…

It don’t matter, th’job is mine solely.”

And to Curtoph, “th’job” is not the problem as contraction is a recognized poetic technique to reduce syllables to match the line’s meter

27. GrimJim says:

Silly, Tony, he wants a short deal because (1) He’ll have arbitration rights in his next RFA contract (2) He believes his win/loss stats will improve and he’ll be in a better bargaining position (3) Habs have more than 20 million in available cap space next year but only about 3 million this year.

Combined way better atmosphere for Price to bargain for a higher value contract

Think beyond the box, Tony.

28. Psycho29 says:

Maybe some people just have to complain about everything?

29. Bugs says:

Why’d you edit?

(Edit) Oops, my bad.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

30. Bugs says:

Aah, that’s why…

i counted 10 and toned down but it was 11…

Indeed. Sorry.

Hey, I’m letters, not numbers!

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

31. Curtoph says:

Yeah th’job is no different from the job… both 2 syllables

32. habs03 says:

I hated the red pads so much, Halak had really nice pads this year.

33. Bugs says:

Saw a post downwards got me to thinkin about our white jerseys.

Remember Team France’s 2006 World Cup white uniform? With that red, white’n'blue, holographic, I-don’t-what-motif crested across their middle? Please, if you haven’t seen it, look it up on Youtube or Google Images or whatever, it was stunningingly beautiful and really came across well on tv, not to mention the fact that it was PERFECTLY in tune with the Montreal Canadiens’s design.

I would LOVE to see that EXACT same design on our white jerseys. It would blend Tradition and Modernity and I dare say that not even the crustiest of conservative fogeys would find ANY reason to criticize it.

Please, look it up and tell me I’m wrong.

(uhh, make sure that’s 2006 and not 2010 because uhh…well, nevermind. allez les Bleus! august 11, Norway, every player suspended, new roster, should be a crazy one. be there, yo)

Those 2006 WC French white uniforms were to die for. Pure Montreal Canadian. All I’m sayin.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

34. GrimJim says:

Too many syllables in the last line, Bugs…

35. Mark C says:

He lost me forever with the “slap play.”

36. lenny says:

How dare you even remotly make fun of the chosen one! dont you know his pedigree?

37. Mark C says:

Price cannot be a UFA for another 4 years. Go learn something.

38. mbplekfan says:

Goalie values are low right now. Probably the lowest we’ve seen under this CBA.

Of course Price’s camp doesnt want to lock in a multiyear deal at this time.

Of course the habs want to lock up Price for 3-5 years.

Of course a compromise will be reached by training camp.

2 years 4.0 Million is my guess. 1.75 year one, 2.25 year two. RFA after that.

39. lenny says:

The negative feelings about Price are probably not his fault, rather the way Gainy forced him down our throats when he wasnt ready to be a full fledge NHLer…that and his famous hands in the air a couple of years ago as well as some mindless penalties that shows he’s nothing more than a child…i think thats a bout it, anyone else have resaons why some of us are not impressed??

40. mike g says:

I know TJ’s a forward…

I’m just thinking about him for my 3rd/4th line. He got 39 pts last year, 15g, and looks like he has some good speed and hands. He plays wing and center which is awsome…

You don’t see this guy scoring 50-60 points in the next 5 years?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

41. observer says:

the agent said absolutely nothing. why would he want a 1 or 2 year deal? and cheap possibly? because price wants to be a free agent soon so he can leave! but gauthier traded away halak thinking that price was going to be their fixture for years to come.

42. avatar_58 says:

I also enjoyed the retro brown beat up pads :)

43. Bugs says:

There once was an upstart young goalie

Who said whilst canning coach Rollie

“I’m Le Priceberg, you see,

And with my pedigree

It don’t matter cuz th’job is mine solely.”

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

44. habstown says:

you’re just a jealous sob.

45. SeriousFan09 says:

Whatever works best for his goalie mojo, I’m in favour of. They’re a superstitious lot so if the country music mask and the white pads work best, go for it.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

46. TomNickle says:

Galliardi is a forward.  So if it’s just somebody from the Avs you’re looking at I would suggest Chris Stewart, Ryan O’Reilly or Daniel Winnik.

47. observer says:

“we both are commited to getting things done.”  — different things done! maybe price wants out period?

48. habs03 says:

I love the all white pads and the 100 years mask, thats what he wore at the end of the year, I’m hoping and guessing he is giong to stick with those.

49. habs03 says:

50. Mark C says:

Where are all the doomsayers now?

Reading between the lines this is all about term. Montreal wants a longer term, 4 years or more, for low money ($2-3M), while Price‚Äôs camp prefers 1 to 2 years, with the idea that Price re-establishes his value closer to $4M+ by the time of his next contract.

51. observer says:

The agent said absolutely nothing.

52. mike g says:

What about TJ Galliardi?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

53. bwoar says:

Habs want a longer deal for less $$$ per year, agent seeks short deal, more $$$ per year, which one will blink?  Tune in right before the golf tournament to find out.  I expect that both parties were/are waiting for Niemi to be signed before agreeing on a number.

Hard for the Price camp to argue the Niemi/Cam Ward post-cup range, but agent seeks Halak money.  Blues overpaid, protest the Habs. And they are right, which everyone in hockey knows, based solely on market and not on his great 2010 playoffs.

I expect Gauthier will blink and pony up once he exhausts all salary dump possibilities that could lead to improving the top 6.  He’s trying to win 2 battles with the same cap space right now, and won’t want to risk losing both.  Will he settle for Raffi Torres?  and how much will Torres settle for?  Not much else to ask right now.

Carey Price has no intention of holding out, it won’t happen in this market or any other, the kid isn’t that type.  Bold prediction: 2 years, 2.95m per year. Everyone’s a loser and we do it all over again once the rubber’s on the road.  No bad marks for either party, just business and the wild circumstances all at once.

54. joeybarrie says:

My hope is he becomes one of the greatest goalie’s EVER. The I get to rub it in their faces every chance I get. You know, its funny to me. I live in Wash DC, and in game 4 I had a line of people at me desk saying tonight was the last game, its over…BLAH BLAH BLAH. I told them all the same thing. With 24 Stanley Cups under our belt, we have learned to talk ONLY after you win 4 games…

Seems appropriate to Price. Everyone has already written his career off at 22 when MOST goalies havent even played a GAME in the NHL yet. Calling him spoiled and all this other nonsense.

The fans make me ILL too, but I will follow the wisdom of PROFESSIONALS  (like Dryden and Gaine) who have won the Cup themselves a few times over guys who biggest hockey move is to buy season tickets and most experience is to DVR the game and watch it twice…

AND trust me, when he does do well consistently and this city LOVES him with the passion they loved Roy. It will NEVER be let go. It will be in EVERY argument I make…

Funniest part is his stats are in the top half of the league and he is only 22…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

55. Storm Man says:

Maybe you should have taking HGH so you could have been a superstar.

56. ZepFan2 says:

Really, eh. Who does he think he is, Bobby Ryan?

————————————————————————

- Steven Tyler

57. G-Man says:

Mr. Growth Hormone? Just another cheat.

58. avatar_58 says:

PS – as a Price fan I want to know what he’s wearing next season. Erm – his EQUIPMENT I mean. He said he wanted to go full-white near the end of last season, wearing the 100 years mask + pure white vaughn pads.

Is he going to get a new mask, the old blue one (my fav), the red reaper one (…eh) or the white 100 years centennial mask?

So sue me I’m a habs goalie nut and I love this stuff.

59. TomNickle says:

I hope you realize that you’re calling the goalie who DIDN’T request a trade twice the spoiled child.

60. Psycho29 says:

The nerve of actually negotiating!! :-)

Everone chillax! This will get signed, and we’ll have to find something else to bi&ch and moan about.

In the meantime I predict this update breaks the record for the highest numbers of posts on HI/O, including numerous profiles being deleted/terminated :-)

61. Storm Man says:

PARASITES is what most of them are.

62. TomNickle says:

Foote and Hannan are both gone after this season and Liles is rumoured to be traded every season but I wouldn’t gamble on Cumiskey Mike.

They have a lot of depth in prospects and while he may stand to see a lot of minutes in the future and possibly a substantial amount of powerplay time, their game doesn’t really revolve around working the puck up top on the powerplay.

They like to use the backdoor pass and a lot of walking from the halfboards.

A player like Kris Russell is Columbus or even a Jamie McBain in Carolina are far better options for offensive upside.  ESPECIALLY MCBAIN.

63. avatar_58 says:

I don’t understand why. I don’t get what he’s done personally. You liked Halak better? Huet better? So what, what does this have to do with Price? He didn’t trade them.

64. RGM says:

No bonuses are permitted on non-entry level contracts. As for your first sentence, I’m sure that Price is very glad you’re not his agent.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

65. joeybarrie says:

How did he act like a spoiled child? I think your mixing up Sergei Kostitsyn and Price…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

66. habs03 says:

First contracts that have bonus clause are for entry level players  and players aged 35 plus I believe. Second, it’s only been 1 month he is a rfa and I don’t see why everyone is so annoyed about him not signing yet, if he signs today or the day before camp what difference does it make. Also like the article on top stated, its not so much a question of money but rather term.

67. RGM says:

There, an update. Everybody take a deep breath.

I can see a short-term contract being a good thing for both camps. Right now, Price’s value is pretty low relative to where it could have been if last season went a little better for him. So if the player swallows a bitter pill for a year or two and takes less money, well that opens up some opportunities. Take a look at Plekanec.

Also, consider this: the Habs cap situation is not what anybody would call good right now. There’s not a ton of money around in the summer of 2010. However, next year there are a lot of contracts coming off the books that will free up a lot of money. So far the Habs have only committed $31.3M to salary next year. If Price signs a one-year deal for cheap this season and has a fantastic year it puts him in a much better position to negotiate a longer-term, larger money contract next summer. If that happens, the Habs will be more willing to oblige once they’ve been assured that Carey is indeed the man.

This is why sometimes it takes a while to hammer out a contract – moving parts, long-term strategies, short-term goals, agendas, etc.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

68. fuhgawz says:

wow people HATE Carey.  it isn’t even funny anymore

every second post is someone bashing the s#*t out of this kid i suggest step back and think would you like the same treatment done to yourself day in day out placed on the internet for the world to read.  some of you “fans” make me ill.  but eveyone has an opinion i just wish some would keep it to themselves as its getting VERY over played and annoying much like Celine.

69. Storm Man says:

A-Rod hits number 600 :)

70. mike g says:

Alright….

Someone who follows the Avalanche more than me, please answer this post. I’m starting a dynasty league NHL pool. It’s a 5 year pool, with unlimited trades, but you can only drop 5 players per year. There’s a salary cap, and 15 teams. So it’s gonna be a very deep draft.

Is it worth it to take a chance on a defenseman like Kyle Cumiskey as a late round d-man pick? How much offensive upside does he have?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

71. lenny says:

I would assume that after the past 2 seasons, Price and his agent would take anything the Habs threw at him. Let him show that he can actually play and not act like a spoiled child, then negotiate a better contract down the road. For what it’s worth Im tired of this kid being handed everything on a silver platter withought proving himself. And Yes i know he is a thorobred , but this aint the preakness…I hope his contract is insentive heavy so he actully earns his paycheck

72. LA Loyalist says:

thank you. nice post. I follow the Ducks here in LA as a 2nd team because of Saku and I think they will be much better this year than last. I like to follow ex-Habs that I’ve liked and hope they do well. I’ll be cheering for Halak. I also think Tampa Bay is going to be serious this year and we had better get it figured out.

73. RGM says:

Ryan, because he’s the American. Price & Staal get their own separate TSN shows.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

74. RGM says:

That’s how they did it with the original back in 2003.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

75. petefleet says:

23.5 shots per game

Go Habs Go

76. andrewberkshire says:

Oooooh, big diff. I calculated by games played, I guess I forgot that Huet’s minutes would be substantially lower than 48 games worth after how many times he was pulled.

77. petefleet says:

It is a big deal.  It works out to about 7.25 goals.  At 2.5 GAA, thats 3 games worth of goals.  Any goalie would want that factored in if it was on the winning side of the stats.

I’m just saying that Huet is not so bad that Niemi will be missed (maybe).

Go Habs Go

78. andrewberkshire says:

Niemi won’t be missed because Turco is a better goaltender. Huet won’t play a single game for the Blackhawks.

79. doug says:

Huet is getting dumbed to the minors or to Europe.  They’re eating his salary.  Their goalie is Turco.

80. The Capitalist Pig says:

Watch out! Chris Nilan has been “Timonized” by BALLS! Who will be next? Will it be you?

81. Habsforlife 1959 says:

When Carey Price plays for another team. Maybe you will get your wish come true.

82. nunacanadien says:

Looks like the year we are facing, like three years ago before Gainey blew up the Habs, what can we look forward to next year, another year of Gainey blowing up the habs through his marionette strings controlling Gauthier?  So how long do we have to wait and see if Price has what it takes to stop those floaters?

83. andrewberkshire says:

Not unless a team offers over 5 million per year. If they offer under 4 million the return would be a 1st and 3rd round pick.

84. observer says:

2010 Compensation

• $1,020,348 or below: No compensation.
    • $1,020,348 to $1,545,981: A third-round draft choice.
    • $1,545,981 to $3,091,963: A second round draft choice.
    • $3,091,963 to $4,637,944: A first-round choice and a third-rounder.
    • $4,637,944 to $6,183,925: A first- a second- and a third-rounder.
    • $6,183,925 to $7,729,907: Two First-round choices, a second-rounder and a third-rounder.
    • Over $7,729,907: Four first-rounders.
  85. Sith says:

Don’t we get like 2 or 3 first round picks in return? :)

86. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Don’t you think that if an offer sheet were to happen, it already would have? Why would the team that would potentially sign him to an offer sheet wait?

Also, as Andrew stated, there are very few teams that require all the criteria needed to be able to offer sheet Price. A team would need:

1)The cap space to sign Price to a deal that the Canadiens could not match (upwards of $4.5 million long-term I would imagine), and even so, that is a big gamble to take on Price at this time.

2)The requisite picks for such an offer (their own picks and not some other team’s), which without checking right now, because my internet is too slow to bother, would be AT LEAST a 1st and a 3rd round pick, but maybe more.

3)The need for a starting goaltender (ask Theodore and Niemi how many teams are knocking on their doors)

4)The willingness to burn a potential trade partner for the foreseeable future.

There’s a reason offer sheets don’t happen often. While I do believe we will see more of them in the future, I think this year the goalie market does not lend itself to a team going this route.

Also, Price would have to ACCEPT and SIGN the offer sheet. While a lot of people question Price’s desire to play in Montreal long-term, all we can do is speculate on that at this point. We don’t know what’s going on in his mind. Who’s to say he doesn’t want to prove all the naysayers in this city wrong and make it work in Montreal at least for this next year. The organization showed a lot of faith in him by trading Halak. Usually, players respond well to that sort of thing and want to prove them right. But, again, we can only speculate at this point.

87. RGM says:

Carey’s agent has already said that his client will not sign any offer sheet sent his way. Fear not.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

88. SLONCOLD says:

My biggest concern with the Price situation is not so much the fact that the 2 are discussing the potential of short or long term contract but more in regards to the chance an offer sheet might come via another team and force the habs into a messy situation regarding the cap.Remember it only takes one GM to decide a mid or late first round pick and a 3rd round pick aren’t as valuable to his team as a young goalie might be.

if you believe that carey is a franchise goalie why wouldn’t another team make this move.

89. andrewberkshire says:

What team in the NHL right now a) needs a starting goalie desperately and b) has the cap space to sign Price to an offer sheet?

I’m pretty sure no team really fits this criteria right now. The only team I see having a very deep interest in Price at this moment is NJ, and they’re a bit busy currently.

90. habstrinifan says:

Forsooth I did foretell a sad denouement to this tale!!!!!!!

91. Mr-T says:

You never made a direct link between management and what or whom the source of the “blame” should be directed at. I only made the reference to Price, as to what were you referring to in the 1st line of your original post. As to Price being a inferior goalie to Halak is a debatable statement however it is now an irrelevant issue. You just made a general reference to the avenue of recourse for disgruntled people relative to a business structure.

It is not about blind support for stupidity and conforming to someone elses perspective. It a viewpoint that Price is evidently the #1 goalie. In that respect for the good and prosperity of the team that the logical thought process would be in everyones best interest to be positive in his ability to succeed and to give him  total support. Anything else would be counterproductive and not have any merit.

If an individuals view point and position is contrary to this then they must decide what their priorities are to themselves and the team. It one cannot therefore be a positive influence then saying nothing basically has the same affect. I did state your awareness to that fact.

Writing an opinion to the disagreement of the Habs current direction and showing displeasure to its lack of progress in HIO and other forums carries no weight or behaviour changes to managements decisions. When a person is unable to seperate emotions from their objectives then the realization of accomplishment to that perspective will be unfulfilled. It is essentially a conflict of interest.

Support Carey Price          “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

92. Mr-T says:

It is not the choices that I am making here. I chose to make a comment. To continue to disparage and disseminate an individual beyond the boundries of morality has no justification nor does it exhibit ethical responsibility. It is not just about a simple acceptable observation. It is an unsubstantiated, degrading and uncivil attempt at writing a coherent article.

There is no informative enlightening substance to it or a creative and intellectual response. Statistics are a tool in negotiating a contract and it is only a hypothetical probability theory to future performances. The perfect statement was a reflection of the insecurities of life although they do not always pose an imposition to success everyone deserves a chance to succeed. That is very true that greater scrutiny comes with the territory, however it crosses the line when it becomes libel or slander.

It is correct that everyone has different levels of support that they choose towards their teams but the more aggregate support it receives it tends to have a more positive and benificial effect on the performance of the team. I guess we assume or hope that it will be the people with etiquette and a contemporary view of him.

Support Carey Price                “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

93. Clay4bc says:

What would you have us do then? Blindly support stupidity? Cheer, but keep our mouths shut? Do you demand absolute conformity to your perspective? We should buy tickets and merchandise (thereby financially making the franchise viable – for without us “fans” there is no money), yet not voice even a modicum of discontent if we are unhappy with the direction of the team? And to question or show displeasure is now ‘libel and slander”?

Forsooth, I say. The NHL is a sport, but it is also a business. In any business, if the company is not going in a direction that their shareholders (fans, in this case) are happy with, they are going to say something about it. If this was another sort of business, we could easily just withdraw our money from the company – but this is hockey, and we are emotionally invested in it. It’s not a realistic alternative for people to just change teams, or stop watching – despite the constant idiotic mantra incesssantly repeated here about disagreement with the party line making you a “Leafs fan”, or a “Nordiques fan”.

And like Doug, and anyone else here, I will cheer how I choose, and support who I choose – your opinion is yours, and mine is mine. Both are equally valid, because there is no absolute truth here, only differing perspectives.

__________________________

Carey Price killed my dog.

94. Mr-T says:

Look if you are discontented with the direction that the Habs are heading then do not put the blame and responsibility on Price and the other players. You profess to be knowledgeable about the aspects and the structure involved of how to run a viable cost effective business. Then it must also be obvious to an astute person like yourself that the underlying impediment to the Canadiens being a winning, competitive and successful team are the President and past/current management including Martin.

If you want to make a real difference then the only options available are to refuse to go to all the games and to not watch them on TV or listen to it on the radio. Merchandise revenue goes to the players. Owners/CEO are much quicker to respond to a situation when it directly effects the bottom line but you already are aware of that. Surely someone with your perceptive qualities knows the difference between to question or show displeasure and libel or slander. Always choose and support who you wish because only you know best.

Support Carey Price                “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

95. Clay4bc says:

First…are you implying that I put blame on Price? that is absurd. I have never done so, and why would I? It’s not Price’s fault that he is an inferior goalie to Halak, and that he was terribly mismanaged. I have always put the blame for that one squarely where it belongs – as you say, on management.

Second…you blithly state that “the only options available are to refuse to go to all the games and to not watch them on TV or listen to it on the radio”. I thought (nay – I’m sure) that I already made it clear that I understood this option, but with hockey being what it is, a person gets emotionally invested. Perhaps read my post again?

__________________________

Carey Price killed my dog.

96. Clay4bc says:

Yes…and we all know that agents have a reputation for being scrupulously honest.

Price will not sign an offer sheet though, simply because no one will offer one.

__________________________

Carey Price killed my dog.

97. Habsforlife 1959 says:

COL. NYI and SJS are strong possibilities to make an offer sheet for Carey Price.

98. The Capitalist Pig says:

Nah, I don’t think so, especially the Isles. Given their massive screw up with DePietro, they will never sign another kicker for longer than a month.

99. LA Loyalist says:

I like your analogy of goalie and CFL punter. they both play on thin ice :)

100. J Haul says:

… and no one will submit an offer sheet to Price because they know he won’t sign it. You see, this could go in endless (and useless) circles. All one can do in these situations is take things at face value until evidence is presented to show otherwise.

101. Clay4bc says:

That agents have a propensity to diverge from the truth? Yes, I know this for sure.

About the offer sheet…a goalie with is record last season? Please…but if someone was going to make an offer, they would have done it by now, don’t you think? Why wait until it’s too late? They should make their move now! Come on, NHL teams, make the offer – I dare you!

__________________________

Carey Price killed my dog.

102. adam76 says:

I love that pic of Price.  That is a puck.  This season – how about you try to stop a few?  Thanks.

103. saskhabfan says:

Wow,do you ever stop crying like a little baby?

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

104. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Well, you’re nothing if not consistent in your Price-bashing. So, for that I commend you. LOL.

But, I should remind you that even in what many call a down year for Price, he still managed to stop more than “a few” pucks. Actually, he stopped more than 91% of the pucks that were thrown at him, which is more than can be said for about half the goalies in the league.

105. doug says:

My comment was sarcastic and not aimed at you. As for relaxing, I’d do so but I have several essays to read in response to my posts. Mr. T’s in particular are utterly unintelligible mumbojumbo.

106. doug says:

let’s make sure not to look at the wins and losses columns.  i mean, of course it’s a team sport so none of it’s Carey’s fault. . . just bad bounces and bad luck.  Oh, and the team played worse in front of him.  He’s the most cursed multimillionaire 22 year old I’ve ever heard of.

107. RGM says:

Don’t forget that Halak also got all the easy games and had bigger pads. That monster.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

108. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Why put words in my mouth? Did I say Carey Price was cursed or that NONE of it was his fault? I was merely responding to Adam’s question that implied Price didn’t stop too many pucks last year. His stats hold up rather well across the league. He put up similar numbers to many goalies who ended up having twice as many wins as him. Doesn’t that speak to something else going on in those games?

Relax. You don’t like Price, like MANY people in this city. I understand why. He’s been fairy immature at times and has had a rough year and a half now. Is he as terrible as a lot of people on this site and in this city make him out to be? Not at all.

As for his luck or lack thereof last year, if you watched all the games last year, you would know that there were quite a few games where Price didn’t get the bounces. Now, does that mean he was JUST unlucky? No. Obviously, he has to stay more focused throughout the game, but you know what? I think he will get it if we just give him a LITTLE leeway and time to develop. Price had his fair share of strong games last year but just wasn’t as good as Halak was, which is why Halak got the majority of the games down the stretch.

A lot of GREAT athletes have had down years in their careers, but we don’t write them off because of it. Careers can be long and athletes sometimes have ups and sometimes have downs. What we should try to do as fans is what the athletes themselves try to do; don’t get too high when things go well and don’t get too down when things go bad.

I think Halak had the better run for the last year and a half, but does that necessarily mean he will have the better career? We don’t know. Management picked Price. Shouldn’t you want Price to play at his best now? Support the kid. The best thing that could happen for him and the TEAM is if Price got a nice ovation in the first game showing him that the fans will support him.

109. LA Loyalist says:

Thanks for your analysis, quite interesting. And you’re right, we can’t know what’s in Price’s head, how emotionally committed he is to making it work here, which is what it’s going to come down to.

That said, to me the bottom line is that we are rolling “all the dice on Price” with no Plan B, even if Price is suddenly great, what if he gets injured for any length of time? What if he isn’t so great? What if he’s great and has to play 80+ games and we have no serious backup?

The lack of a Plan B is not Price’s fault, it’s BG/PG — “and where the offense is, let the great ax fall” William Shakespeare.

110. LA Loyalist says:

111. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

You do raise an excellent point about not having a back-up plan in case Price falters or gets hurt. However, I believe this is more a case of reality in the salary-cap era than it is a case of mismanagement by Gainey/Gauthier.

We were quite lucky for the last 2 years to have two young, very talented goaltenders playing for us at affordable prices. However, we all knew that this couldn’t last forever. Eventually, one of them had to go. Sure, as Ed stated numerous times, we COULD have kept both, but that would have meant jettisoning someone else from the team (probably Plekanec). If we had lost Plekanec, we would have had to find someone to replace him, which wouldn’t have come cheap if we were to find a player of equal or greater value to the team. So, the question management had to ask itself was “are we better with Plekanec and whatever we get for one of our goalies, or without Plekanec and both goalies?” Personally, I think it was a sound decision to try to make the team in front of the goalies as good as possible within the constraints of the salary cap then to hedge your bets at a position where only one guy can play on a given night.

Now, I understand that there were better goaltenders available than Alex Auld, and I will admit that I was fairly disappointed when I found out he would be the back-up. However, we have to look at a little deeper. Who was out there that we could bring in for around $1 million? Let’s see:

-Dan Ellis: ended up signing for 1.5 to have a very good opportunity to be the starter right out of camp. I’m not so sure he really would have wanted to play here behind Price. Plus, that extra $500,000 of cap space for THIS year is nothing to sneeze at. I get the impression PG set a pretty strict goaltending budget and needed to stick to it.

-Martin Biron: while I initially thought he would be a good fit because he could mentor Price and has a good attitude, we all know the French media would be all over this guy as much as they could possibly and it would be a recipe for disaster should Price falter.

-Marty Turco: I doubt he would have agreed to play second fiddle to Price for such a low salary. If he turned down an offer from Philly, his salary demands were probably WAY higher than what he ended up getting in Chicago. He waited and now he has an excellent chance to cash in after playing for the Stanley Cup champs on the cheap for a year.

-Jose Theodore: *snickers* Just kidding.

-Chris Mason: similar to Turco. He turned down a MUCH higher offer from St. Louis initially because he misjudged the market. He still ended up with a salary that we probably couldn’t afford.

Those are the only guys I would probably rather have, but none of them were all too realistic. More importantly though, the organization WANTED to give the reins to Price and show him they have faith in him. This could turn out to be very good. If you think back to when Price played his best, it was always when he was clearly the number one guy. When Huet was shipped out, Price played great until we ran into Philly. When he started the following season as the number one, he was on a great run until he got hurt. By the time he got back, Halak was making a case to get more playing time, and Price was no longer THE guy. The rest is history.

The bottom line is, they are going to ride Price. Is it guaranteed to work out? Far from it. But, if Price does indeed want a short-term deal, then we will have a young, very talented and MOTIVATED goalie trying to earn a big contract. Of course, if he gets hurt, we are also in trouble, but you could say that about New Jersey, Vancouver, Chicago now, Pittsburgh, and a lot of teams who don’t have two quality goalies.

Management made a choice to ride Price. Time will tell if it works out.

112. Mr-T says:

There appears to be the tendency of some people on this site to focus on a certain group of players especially Price for being one of the primary reasons of the woeful, lackluster and dismal performance of the team. It points to his deficiencies, character traits and integrity as a hockey player and human being. To always find faults, the weaknesses in a person and to continuously exert blame for events that occured in the past serves no purpose in the immediate or future.

None of us are perfect we all have inadequacies and flaws so give Price the benefit of the doubt, some latitude and the opportunity to redeem himself. Unless your working on a formula for a mathematical model or are in Finance then statistics from prior years are a reflection of something at that time otherwise they are just useless numbers. I do not think that you would like someone to question your moral standards or prejudge you based on half truths, assumptions and innuendo. Price deserves the same respect.

If you want this team to be successful and expect it to play within its capabilities then be supportive of every player and the team through the ups and downs and inconsistencies of either one. You say that you are over and accept that Halak was traded. Then it is also time to get over Price with the unfounded accusations, condescending attitude and the attempt to imbellish his goaltending abilities. If you can not post anything meaningful and constructive about Price then find some something else to do to amuse yourself.

Support Carey Price          “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

113. HOGGIE says:

i base my judgement on the last performance he gave its all i can go buy really ,no?

wich was 2 miconduct penalties this after being told how much he had matured…

so forgive me if i critisize the guy and find it hard to drink the price cool-aid he semms to set himself up for it every chance he gets

114. doug says:

Response to paragraph #1: sports serve no real purpose in general.  you can watch passively or make observations.  to make observations is just to participate in this meaningful pursuit differently than you choose to.

Response to paragraph #2: statistics from prior years have absolute relevance to future performance, for the same reason that they’re used to inform financial models.  whether or not any of us are perfect is irrelevant to how we might choose to express our opinions regarding the meaningless sport alluded to in paragraph #1.  with regards to the final sentence, to become a professional athlete is to choose a form of fame, and with that, as with entertainment and politics, comes greater scrutiny.  if you don’t like it, then don’t do it.

Response to paragraph #3: we all love differently, and i find your notion of supporting a sports team through thick and thin as one would a spouse to be perfectly fine for others but i’d request the same respect you alluded to in paragraph #2 when judging how others might choose to root for their team.  we are not all polyannas.  As for Price, he has obviously created a divide for some reason.  If, as per the guidelines outliend in your last sentence, we’re requested to be only constructive or leave, then I’m wondering who will be the judge of said meaningfulness.

Response to the last line: I will support who and how I wish -  it’s a free country.

115. Mr-T says:

That is very commendable. Gainey makes a person feel proud to be a fan of the Habs and it has been one hell of a stagnant and futile ride. Maybe the next time that Gainey and you are reminiscing about all those exciting and memorable games, that when you get a moment you could ask him what happened to that five year plan of his to transform the Canadiens into a competitive and winning team capable of being a stanley cup contender. It is very difficult now a days to find anything more exciting than watching a small Habs forward get crushed.

Support Carey Price             “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

116. SeriousFan09 says:

Agent is twisting for the extra 500k per year or the shorter contract so he gets to rengotiate after a strong year or two, premiere power forward Bobby Ryan still unsigned in ANA, James Neal in Dallas is the same deal.

Don’t Panic.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

117. TomNickle says:

Haven’t you heard Robert?  According to Eklund and his sources Montreal is making a pitch for another goalie and if that goalie gets moved to the Habs they’ll trade Price, 2011 1st round pick and Andrei Markov to the Oilers for Cogliano, Zach Stortini and a 4th round pick in 2012.

If the Edmonton deal falls through then the Habs will send Price to the Flyers for Dan Carcillo, Matt Walker, Paul Holmgren’s toothbrush and Bob Clarke’s glasses.

118. Kristopher7 says:

Wow, 1 to 2 year… sounds like he wants out as soon as possible :(

Let’s hope he wins us a cup in the next two years, other than him our goaltending depth isn’t very promising, unless we sign UFAs in the future.

119. TomNickle says:

The more realistic way of interpreting that is that he would rather get a contract based on where he feels his play will be in the next two years.  Because if it’s a one year deal.  He still has at least one more season of restricted free agency.

120. RGM says:

He doesn’t age faster based on the contract length. UFA status hits at age 27. There’s a bit of a lost art to the “second contract” for a lot of players these days. With the likes of Kane, Toews, Crosby, Ovy, etc. all get monstrous deals right after their entry-level contracts are done, many folks forget that there are intervening years where a player is simply an RFA and a team holds some more rights.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

121. TomNickle says:

Erik Johnson signed a two year deal for $2.6 million / year.

And in an unrelated note.  His family and friends have urged him to fire his agent immediately.

122. The Big O says:

This seems to go against everything that’s being reported in the media where the media suggests that the Habs want a short term deal, 2 yrs and Price’s camp is asking for a longer term, 3 to 5 yrs.  Well his agent just said they want short term, so hold up is probably bonus clauses and financial, doesn’t seem to be term if it’s 1 to 2 yrs as is suggested in the article.

123. TomNickle says:

No bonuses on post-entry level contracts.

It makes the most sense that Price’s agent wants short term and the Habs want long term.  They feel they’ll be getting Price at a discount and Price surely feels that he will play at a level that would command a much more lucrative contract than what he stands to get now.

No mystery here.

124. G-Man says:

Not an entry level contract. Straight money; no bonuses.

125. G-Man says:

Good job getting an “interview” with Price’s agent.

Now we definitely know he’s a weasel. :)

Let him twist in the wind until September, when he sees all those “bargain bin” goalies getting signed.

126. fuhgawz says:

Thank You HIO for doing the work to get this info — i was tired of all the assumptions being thrown around.

127. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Man, if Price bolt’s from us at free agency,  this place is gonna be a mental asylum.

128. habs03 says:

He is onl going to be a UFA in 4 years, and if things don’t change (fans keep booing him) in 4 year, I full expect him to leave.

129. habs03 says:

Just like I thought, its a question of term, Price wants short term contract to be able to get a bigger contract next tmie as SeriousFan 09 said, while P.G. wants to lock him up a bit longer at an inbit range. Also the statement: “the goalie (Niemi) who led the Blackhawks to their first Stanley Cup since 1961″, is very misleadnig IMO.

130. SeriousFan09 says:

Well to be fair to Niemi, he was 1st out on the ice in each of those playoff games so technically it could be argued to be correct.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

131. doug says:

We should have signed Ellis as a legit #1b as required. Price is boring at all levels except when he’s annoying or anxiety-producing. I could give a crap if we sign him.

132. G-Man says:

Let him wait a couple seasons when the goalie market bottoms out. Good news for capologists, bad news for goalie agents.

133. TomNickle says:

The not needing an elite goalie thing is hilarious to me when you consider that Toronto, Columbus and Edmonton were three of the four worst teams in the league this season.

Their goalies were Toskala/Gustavsson, Mason and Dubnyk/Deslauriers.

That isn’t a coincidence.

134. G-Man says:

Can’t go against the “common wisdom” on HIO of not requiring an elite goalie. Apparently, Niemi did it all with mirrors and sucks.

135. SeriousFan09 says:

Niemi had either the best or 2nd-best defence in the NHL clearing up his mistakes for him, he isn’t Toskala but he sure isn’t someone who I’d pay close to 3 million a year when it was brilliant defence and 2-way forwards like Toews, Hossa, Sharp, Madden who made the defensive plays that brought home the Cup.

He isn’t top 10 in the NHL and never will be.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

136. Mr-T says:

Gauthier would really be scraping the bottom of the barrel to do something like that besides the fact that it has no negotiating leverage and is unprofessional. To what benefit would management have or gain in prolonging the” process” and just whom would be putting Price in’ his place.’  “HIO knows how to be subtle when showing favoritism.”

Support Carey Price           “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

137. DavidKB says:

If Gauthier doesn’t use this forum (as a reference) to support his negotiating stance with Price, then he is wasting an opportunity.

I believe it is in management’s best interest to string out the process with Price. Rumours of interest in Antti Niemi probably came from the Gauthier camp.

Price is being put in his place and being told it’s now or never, ‘have you got the guts?’

“Price’s contract should not and will not be negotiated through the media.” Yeah, right; the media is and always will be influential in Montreal.

It seems the Gazette/HIO is doing it’s bit with the choice of photo to go with this story. Which one of those floaters over Price’s head and into the net was this one?

138. Mr-T says:

Are you defined unto thine own self  based on the last performance. Do other people judge you by such misconceptions of philosophy. Is that a realistic view point to a persons perception to having a perspective.

139. doug says:

as mister t would say. . . “quit all your jibber jabber” and just make your point concisely.  i can’t make heads or tails of it without too much brain damage.

140. GrimJim says:

Really, they’re leaving Clarke his false teeth? I thought if you really wanted to win a trade with Clarke you would insist on his false teeth…

141. nunacanadien says:

We as fans have stood by Gainey when he first came and we had most of us stood by him the past decade or so, and its been a roller coaster of a ride.  At least Gainey has continued and will probably continue to give us exciting habs hockey, mind you if excitement is watching a small Habs forward get crushed, then that’s excitement.

142. BKAK72 says:

This picture reminds me of the floater goal New Jersey scored on Price at/near Christmas.

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

143. LA Loyalist says:

Get ready for more of the same :) and seeing more of Alex Somebody.

144. SeriousFan09 says:

Wow, a sad-sack asembly for this Heritage Classic presser if there ever was one.

No Markov, Gionta, Cammalleri for the Habs, no Iginla for the Flames either. Rather poor organizing by the NHL for this but I gather as I said earlier today, Bettman probably just didn’t give a ****. Will minimize the vid until they show the classic jerseys to be worn.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

SUMMIT ALERT! IMPORTANT LAST NOTICE TO EVERYONE!

Pierre,
    I will pay you with my visa and give you the number in each
    section by telephone on Monday sir. Right after my mail arrives at 11am
    Monday.

It is going to be tight for some people as their money
    orders will be coming from out of country. If I receive any payments
    after that date I will just have to return them. C’est la vie!

Ian

— On Wed, 8/4/10, Constant, Pierre wrote:

From: Pierre Constant
    Subject: RE: Hab’s Inside Out Group–Ian
    To: “Ian Cobb”
    Received: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 3:39 PM

Hello Ian,

Thank you for the information.

The sales will start next Monday. I need
    the exact number of tickets for each category next Monday + the following
    information.

Type of credit card

Credit card number

Expiry Date

Credit card holder name

Best regards.

Pierre

Montreal Canadiens Hockey group sales

146. SeriousFan09 says:

First-time Summit-goer here so I’m wondering Ian will you be contacting each of us when you recieve our money orders or will you be posting a list of whose confirmed for having purchased their tickets?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

147. showey47 says:

Another day of the “realists” vs the “koolaid drinkers”. Anyone else think this would make a great hockey game for the summit?

148. LA Loyalist says:

Actually the sticking point is Price’s reluctance to reduce his height to match that of The Smurf ™ Scott Gomez, thus making Gomez seem taller.

Seriously.

149. petefleet says:

39Cristobal Huet     48  46  27312.50 26  14  4 4 1083 114 .895 0  0 4

26 wins (same as Niemi)

14 losses

4 OT losses (same as Niemi)

4 shutouts

.895 save % (a little low)

Not sure what all the panic is about in Chicago.  If Price had #’s like that last year, the Habs would have finished first in the east!!!

Go Habs Go

150. andrewberkshire says:

If Price had a .895 save% while facing an average of 22 shots against per game, in Montreal, he’d be crucified in the centennial square.

151. SeriousFan09 says:

Give any goalie the CHI defence and he’ll have a lot of wins.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.