Update on Price contract talks

The slow pace of Carey Price’s contract talks is “relatively normal,” his agent says.
John Kenney, Gazette

Nothing terribly significant to report on contract talks between the Canadiens and goaltender Carey Price, who has been an unsigned restricted free agent for a little more than a month.

Gerry Johannson, Price’s agent, says that the two sides “are not necessarily close, but it’s not that we’re not close in a bad way. We’re having good conversations and we both are commited to getting things done.” Johannson says the slow pace of talks is “relatively normal” and that his hope is to have a deal done by the end of this month or early next month.

The agent says he’s seeking a shorter-term deal, which would likely translate to a year or two.

It’s an unusual summer, of course, with the number of goaltenders changing address and teams’ rosters still taking shape. The Chicago Blackhawks’ decision to walk away this week from the Antti Niemi’s arbritration ruling has begun rumours in Montreal that the Canadiens would go after the goalie who led the Blackhawks to their first Stanley Cup since 1961. But Johannson’s understanding is that this is positively not true.

Johannson returned a call to Inside/Out as a courtesy. He agrees with Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier that Price’s contract should not and will not be negotiated through the media.

1. GrimJim says:

But which one gets the ESPN special?

2. observer says:

50 shots on goal a game held the highest scoring team in the league and they were by 100 miles- to 1 goal each of the last 3 games facing elimination and led all goalies in the playoffs on save percentage and you are happy that a goalie who has won 20 of his last 69 decisions is now the goalie and you knock halak because the nords/sens flunkie gm traded him away. halak of the winning record every single year on this team? and you call yourself a habs fan? give me a break!

3. Storm Man says:

You can only hope as a laffs fan. Maybe your dreams will come true someday.

4. observer says:

it’s not what me or any fan hopes for or hopes doesn’t happen – it is what price and his agent are probably hoping for and that is possibly why this is dragging out?

5. Storm Man says:

Go to nhl.com sounds like it could be a lottery.

6. TripleX says:

Ryan, Staal and Price are all planning for their respective contracts to end at the same to time to set them up for UFA.  On July 2015, they will all put on the Toronto Maple Leaf sweaters.

LMAOOOOOOOOOO

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

7. SLONCOLD says:

man if halak was exposed and stunk of cheese, i wonder why he even played…

8. bwoar says:

flock off, idiot.

9. SeriousFan09 says:

For Ryan, either he or his agent wants to go to UFA status so he can get a bigger deal earlier or just price himself to the highest bidder if he thinks ANA isn’t going in the right direction, Anaheim would like him on a longer term for less.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

10. Mattyleg says:

Boo hoo hoo.

Let’s hold a period of mourning for every player/coach/staff member/usher/pint-puller that was ever part of the Canadiens organization, and criticize everyone we possibly can for that irreperable loss.

Waaaaaaah…..

—Hope Springs Eternal—

11. ZepFan2 says:

No, I just find it hilarious a Nords fan trying to pretend he cares what happens with the Habs. About the same as a Leafs fan I suppose.

Btw, it’s cucumber.

————————————————————————

- Steven Tyler

12. The Cat says:

They were bad at their own end…Even if they did finish in the middle, it still is a bit of a puzzler considering Carbo, Jarvis and Muller were pretty good at it, right?

13. mike g says:

Oh ok, now I understand…

So when we beat the Caps and Pens, it was all Halak and he was the sole reason why we stole both those series. The team had nothing to do with it.

But against the Flyers, when Halak stank like old cheese, then we blame the team and say it was their fault. Can’t blame Halak for a loss, we can only praise him for a win…

Only Habs fans can see it like you do. Halak was exposed many times during the playoffs buddy.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

14. habs03 says:

I remember reading that somewhere but I also remember reading in the once in an interview that he didn’t mind not being paid as high as Perry and Getz so I’m guessin the issue is the term. Many of the young guys like Neal, Ryan, and Price, sometimes the term of the contract is a bit more important than the money, for example to Price he probaly views a short term contract means more money in the future. Hence he would take less money for a shorter contract.

15. Mattyleg says:

No disrespect, but how do you know how long contract talks normally take?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

16. Caper says:

I like Jarvis but what makes you so upset? All those cups he helped us win while an Assistant coach?

17. The Cat says:

When I post you get anxious like a nun approaching a cucomber patch, dont you? lol

18. ZepFan2 says:

States the Nordiques fan. lmao

————————————————————————

- Steven Tyler

19. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Price is looking for a 2 year deal MAX.

20. Josh says:

Ryan turned down a 5-year $25M offer which is therefore unreasonable.

21. ZepFan2 says:

No, that’s what you are hoping for.

————————————————————————

- Steven Tyler

22. Mark C says:

That makes sense. Chances are that they were so good at all the non-import ones that it counter balanced how bad they were on the important face-offs. That would explain how they finished in the middle of the pack and over 50%.

23. habs03 says:

Neal, Ryan, just to name a few are RFA not signed, doesn’t mean anything.

24. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

No, thank you.

25. observer says:

was listening to team 990 today every single caller plus tony m. and randy t. said the same that gauthier screwed up by not signing price before trading halak away if that was the goalie they were trading away. AND they also said molson must be thinking the exact same thing about gauthier right now!

26. The Cat says:

Ill go by memory as opposed to stats on this one. There are faceoffs more important than others.

27. The Cat says:

Thats a good rebutal.

28. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

You couldn’t sound more idiotic. I am sorry, that’s the nicest way I can put it.

P.S. I am assuming by your standards, James Neal and Bobby Ryan are a bunch of prima-donnas too?

29. observer says:

was a movie called chariots of fire many years ago about a couple of english olympic sprinters. one runner goes out and finds the best track coach in the world at that time and asks him to coach him, the coach says, “ok i will coach you, but first you must realize that i can’t put in what god left out.”

30. observer says:

or maybe price is still hoping another team puts in an offer?

31. sprague cleghorn says:

Only if by home you mean Russia.

32. The Cat says:

What astounded me is with Jarvis, Carbonneau and Muller 2 yrs ago, the centremen sucked at faceoffs so bad lol

33. observer says:

don’t be so sure of that. a helluva lot less pressure elsewhere. he already has felt the fans reaction and responded to them in anger.

34. observer says:

but just until next year.

35. Eliisa says:

Anyone heard anything about when they will be releasing tickets for the Heritage Classic? I also find it interesting that their marketing for the event has Cammalleri facing Iginla. I think they just might be trying to appeal to those Flames fans. The game should be amazing! I can’t wait!

36. observer says:

seemed clear to all who know hockey that halak was the only reason habs were still in game 5 down but one goal in the closing minutes despite being badly outplayed by the flyers. halak won one game allowing one goal. the other 3 games the habs did not score a single goal on a minor league goalie. in one of those games had a single shot and that from center ice in an entire period. no it was not halak who was smoked but the habs team in front of him that gauthier assembled.

37. Eliisa says:

You have got to be kidding me! Luongo? Have you seen that guy play? He’s medicore at best and gets paid like he’s some god. Besides, he is getting older. Goalies tend to peak in their mid to late twenties. And it does definitely make sense to only play where you grew up. BC boys should only play for the Nucks and Montrealers can play for the Habs.

38. Josh says:

Contract talks rarely take this long unless the player/team is being unreasonable.

39. ZepFan2 says:

Wow, no wonder you call yourself, observer.

2 gold stars and a pat on the head for you.

————————————————————————

- Steven Tyler

40. SLONCOLD says:

price may not be the type but agents call a lot of the shots too. you just never know.

41. HabFanSince72 says:

It’s a spoof.

42. SLONCOLD says:

mikey? really??? why are u playin this game

43. Mark C says:

Haha. Well, it’s the rule now, so until it changes that’s the way it works.

44. db says:

Sometimes I wish Habs fans would realize there are 29 other teams, GMs and owners out there…  There are only so many players that can “fit” in a team.  Personally, I’m OK with our roster (but would change 1/2 if the right opportunity presented itself)…  No it’s not the sandpaper lineup some want, nor the flashy back and forth hockey but a smart, defensive puck posession team (they just need to execute).  Every team is surrounded by “ifs” and we’ve all of ours posted often here…

My only advice for Habs fans:  Don’t get too high, or too low. (warning: life lesson) It’s just a game (and I’m one passionate fan), a beautiful game that other teams play well too.

So I ask, are you a hockey fan or Habs fan?

What other teams do you follow, if any?

I’m liking what Stevie Y is doing over in Tampa and can’t believe what Bowman has to do in Chi-town.

I had a friend tell me that I’m not a fan if I like players on other teams, or other teams in general… but I am a hockey fan.  From coaching to building teams to watching those assembled teams duke it out on the ice. I know I’d love to hang out with y’all and talk hockey anytime but I’ve never been in the right place at the right time… and now I’m leaving Montreal for good (for every reason except hockey and family).

Opinion wise, I do think it’s time for a new regime and believe this is PG, BG, JM’s season to prove otherwise.  We do however have a solid foundation and cap flexibility coming in the next few seasons.

anyway, tear me a new one if u so choose :)

The national anthem at a Habs game gives me goosebumps every time!

45. observer says:

jarvis a checking forward was coaching the habs defense. but larry robinson’s phone calls not even returned.

46. observer says:

all the top jobs with the habs are now held by gauthier’s coach at ottawa – martin, gauthier’s assistant at ottawa – timmins and gauthiers player at ottawa – cunnyworth. this is the 1990s senators revisited!

47. ZepFan2 says:

I thought you’d be happy about this. He’s friends with Gainey.

One less Gaineyite for you to bitch and moan about.

————————————————————————

- Steven Tyler

48. mike g says:

Speaking of burning out…

Halak looked pretty burnt vs the Flyers, they smoked him in 5 games.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

49. observer says:

you do not know that! age had dropped from 31 to 27 once for ufas. the NHL Collective Agreement expires in 2011. his agent may well know the players want the age dropped.

50. crabvader says:

Tony, seriously, give it up. Everyone knows it’s you each and every time you make a new profile.

51. habs001 says:

the good news is that all we have to do is have a better record than boston,buffalo,ottawa and toronto and we get 3rd seed…otherwise it will be life and death to make the playoffs

52. habs001 says:

Price knows that with this hab d he has to be lights out most nights….the opposition forwards have no fear in standing in front of the net or crashing the net….the oppostion forwards spend so much time in our zone and get so many shots away that lucky bounce goals will happen a  lot…price also knows that on most nights if he gives up two goals its o/t time…there is no goalie in the nhl than can play 60 games on this team without a complete physical and mental collapse…the expectations are way to high on price as many posters dont realize that the overall talent level right now is no better (over 82 games) than on about 24 other teams.

53. absfan says:

I agree though at least he did not give up The Golden Goal.

54. K-hab25 says:

No Thank You!! Kovy is one of my least favorite Habs in recent memory.

2010 HIO Fan Summit Updates

30 game tickets paid for already. 18 in the white sec. and 12 in the club sec.  Get your money orders in to me ASAP.

The Bell Center Tour and the new Hall of Fame, tour has been confirmed for 10.30 Nov.6th

Get there early to get your Hall of Fame tickets.

We are being well taken care of this year in the new Hall of Fame, by Catherine Richard who is the Rocket’s granddaughter.

This event is open to everyone, bring the kids!

Summit Game Tickets—Send Money Order to Reserve Them

56. absfan says:

Look up, way up.  Subject: Price… contract negotiations.  Just added my opinion on our goaltending situation, that’s all.

57. Caper says:

Bobby lou is over-rated.

58. Caper says:

Amen to that.

59. SeriousFan09 says:

His Gold Medal came from a superb group of skaters in front of him, he wasn’t playing like Ryan Miller was and Mller was the reason the Americans were in the Gold Medal game. Toews and the D were the reason Canada made it there.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

60. spos080808 says:

Doug Jarvis is now on the Bruins coaching staff.

61. HabFanSince72 says:

I love Kovy. He gave us some great memories, and the anti-Kovy sentiment one encounters sometimes borders on philistinism (you judge an artist by his best work not his worst).

But I think he might be too old now, and more so in a year.

The problem, as mentioned by others,  is what do you do with him if he’s not good enough to play on the top two lines? Put him on the 3rd line and the powerplay?