Update: Markov talks yet to begin

• Andrei Markov might be headed into his contract’s final season with the Canadiens without talks having begun on keeping him with the team beyond 2010-11. Radio-Canada’s Jean-François Chaumont has Markov agent Don Meehan saying that Habs GM Pierre Gauthier recently told Meehan that “(Gauthier) wants to wait until the right time” to talk contract.

New Canadien Ian Schultz in conversation with CJAD’s Rick Moffat (audio, no idea the vintage of the interview)

Road-warrior alert: HIO friend Kevin van Steendelaar has put together this excellent guide to ticket sales for Canadiens road games.

• Brian La Rose at habsworld.net on the contract situation of goalie Carey Price.

• Robert Lefebvre with yet another interesting project: A series profiling the Canadiens’ top 25 players under the age of 25.

1. Mats Naslund says:

Its not contradictory at all. All are RFA’s trying to make the most of their next contract – with no bargaining chips to do so. That is the point. That they are pursuing different terms based on their own specific situation is due to the fact they are… different people. The article illustrates effectively that Price is among a group of players who are pursuing similar tactics to achieve their own contract ends.

2. Bugs says:

Ain’t interested in mutant, mine-dwellin, inbred, hillbilly, chainsaw massacre rehash; that’s “ugly gore”. no time for it. So will give you benefit of the doubt on its merits.

I want to be THRILLED as I’m frightened. Last movie to do that for me was “The Grudge.” That movie was everything “The Ring” shoulda been.

Same way “Slither” was everything “Night of the Creeps” shoulda been.

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

3. habstrinifan says:

Gillete received bargain pricing and received government incentives in his purchase of the team and turned it into a cash cow and used the cash flow on other projects. The tears he cried when he sold the team was sickening. He was no “hockey nut” owner like George Steinrenner for instance who made a fortune owning the Yankees but also ‘genuinely loved’ the Yankees. Nothing wrong with Gillete being pure business. But let’s not canonize him as a Saviour of the Canadiens.

4. habstrinifan says:

5. habstrinifan says:

I read the article. Nice use of statistics (age especially) to make the argument. But it is contradictory in logic. He states that most of the RFA’s are seeking long term contracts and are holding out from signing one yr contracts because it would encourgae GM’s to only give one year contracts.

Price, from all reports, is seeking a one year contract and eschewing a 3yr or longer contract being offered by the club.

As my college professor used to say “do not invalidate the conclusions of your thesis in the conclusion of your thesis”

6. showey47 says:

Why do yo say that? We have all had fun at your expense for years.

7. LA Loyalist says:

1. Eller is NOT a VEGAN – you read it here first. It is true that the Danish don’t put tops on their sandwiches, which I admit is worrisome, but if you look at the bread/meat ratio on any decent smoked meat sandwich the difference probably isn’t all that much, I think he’ll be able to adjust. If he can also find the net…

2. I’m not allowed to talk about Smurfs(tm)

3. See 2.

4. Price, Markov and WillyWinky need to be signed. If we sign WillyWinky do we still want Kovalchuk?

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

8. shiram says:

That really does not gel with the source material though… time will tell.

9. andrewberkshire says:

According to the director they are in fact modernized zombies.

10. LA Loyalist says:

Plus he has an inappropriate relationship with Shania Twain which could prove distracting. Like we need that.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

11. LA Loyalist says:

I promised HIO to not bag on Price until November 1st, but man, that is hilarious.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

12. Dave Stubbs says:

OK, Bugs: Hell’s Angels, the 1930 masterpiece produced by Howard Hughes focusing on the lives of World War I combat pilots. Got it on DVD. It’s brilliant.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

13. Muckbringer says:

28DL didnt have zombies.

14. Rob says:

My absolute favorite “continuing story of survival horror”!  So glad they’re making it into a TV series.  Let’s hope it does the comic justice.

15. Everlasting1 says:

The ‘horror’ genre is not what it used to be. You can only hope for great remakes of old classics. Bugs, don’t know if you’ve seen the remake of The Hills Have Eyes. That was a good facelift! Scary, creepy too.

Don’t pollute the water.

16. Everlasting1 says:

Do you now?

Don’t pollute the water.

17. ManApart says:

Insightful comment as per usual.

18. nunacanadien says:

I guess we are not going to win this year, I am resolved to that.  If we are going to watch the Habs go to hell in a handbasket, let’s at least make it exciting.  Send Subban away to some team where he can like Kaberle destroy his career, sure.  And for what?  Ryan?  Sure the guy scores every few games, we are overpaying Gionta and Gomez to do that now, sure lets add another expensive salary cap hit that gets us what, low scoring games where we lose 2 to 1?  Typical Carey Price game.  Lead the game 1 nothing until 16 minutes into the period and watch two floaters go in with little time to make up for the loss.

19. nunacanadien says:

They are both losers, and we saw that.  Any young man who has the loyal support of fans and behaves like that, shame on that young man.  Fans see what they want to see, and game after game, we’ve seen clean breakaways result in floater scores, which is Price’s Achilles Heel.

20. ManApart says:

True, but It’s a universal thing, if we have a great player, he’ll get away with the same things.

21. ManApart says:

Berkshire does talk out of his ass a lot, but in this case he’s dead on. The other guy is saying Markov doesn’t really want to be here. That is a complete fabrication from his delusional mind, with absolutely no evidence, hard or circumstantial, whatsoever. He deserved what AB said to him, for talking stupid.

22. Storm Man says:

Click on to my name on here in blue…… After that hit contact and you can send me a email. The league is full 20 teams, I think more people wanted to join so I will do other one based on how many want to join.

23. andrewberkshire says:

This I can agree with. However it’s a stupid system.

24. ManApart says:

LOL, sensitive are we? Let me rephrase, Crosby is great, Price is not great. Crosby gets benefits, Price doesn’t. Happy ?

25. andrewberkshire says:

Opposite? Really? The absolute opposite… Get a life.

26. ManApart says:

Ya but Crosby is a great player, Price the opposite. Like it or not, it buys players slack.

27. zozotheclown says:

Looks cool, its too bad they’re not using the 28 days later style zombies though, that is, zombies that run, over the slow walky kind in the trailer.

28. ManApart says:

Ignorance is bliss eh JB? I’m going to have a lot of fun with you this season. Unfortuneately, I don’t think you will.

29. andrewberkshire says:

Remember when Crosby broke his stick off the net by Halak and then threw it in the corner? And no unsportsmanlike call, not even any news reports on it. And PRICE gets called immature…

30. ManApart says:

Not sure what you are talking about. Avstin is not close at all.

31. ManApart says:

Keep dreaming. Ryan is one of the top young power forwards in the game. It would take Subban to get Ryan. Nobody wants our garbage for a future perenial all star.

32. punkster says:

This kid’s got a future.The hair pulling is a sure sign of his willingness to mix it up. The crayon eating will serve him well during those long, drunken nights on St Laurent where anything could, and most likely will, be ingested. I classify him a solid 8B as long as he adds 180 lbs.

33. nunacanadien says:

But aww, remember in Florida when Gainey was asked if he would spend big money, we always seem to see these small contracts in Montreal in comparison to other teams who pay big money to attract stars.  Instead Gainey signs these contracts, overpays mediocre players, and has nothing left over to pay for real talent.  Sure Bob doesn’t mind spending retirement salaries to washed up veterans, and overpay young talent, and then get ripped off by someone like Gomez.

34. punkster says:

And yet…and yet…we beat ’em both, fair and square. That’s just one of the many things that made those series so special. I know the Halaktites site the goalie as the only reason but the dogged determination of the entire team, their ability to take the punishment, the amazing shot blocking, the timely scoring and yes, the goaltending, helped make these series among the most memorable we’ve seen from this team in years. Good times indeed.

35. mbplekfan says:

An RFA has two options. Sign the contract offered, or dont sign the contract offered.

By not signing the contract RFA’s are fooled by their agents into thinking they are accomplishing something. The GM’s created the system, have informally outlawed offer sheets and are just sitting back refusing to negotiate against themselves.

In order to pay off the ridiculous deals offered to UFA’s, the GMs need to keep their RFA costs way down.

All contracts will be signed in due time and the RFA’s will go back to work.

Today’s NHL is about paying your dues and funding the Souray’s and Huet’s of the league.

36. mike g says:

Yo Storm…

How do I send you my e-mail without posting it here, so that u can send me the invite for the pool?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

37. Chorske says:

Stats shmats! My day job is stats. When I come to HIO, I prefer to pull data from my a**.

Oh and: Mike Keane.

38. shiram says:

The comic book its based on is pretty good, none of that superhero spandex stuff.
    I am looking forward to the tv series.

39. GrimJim says:

Calgary’s Fan960 interviwed E. J. Radek of ESPN and he said that the negotiations with the RFAs were dragging on because the RFAs had little leverage and that this was typical. It’s a 15 minute interview and Radek’s RFA comments are near the end. But radek is usually a pretty good listen.

40. Bugs says:

Wow. I say “Drag Me to Hell”; you come back with “Jay Baruchel”.

If I talk new releases and say “The Expendables”, do you come back with “Eat, Pray, Love”?

…jay baruchel… You’re KILLIN me, Stubby.

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

41. Chuck says:

To be fair, it’s tough to see those infractions when all you’ve got is a good view of your own colon.

42. Storm Man says:

If the Habs got Ryan, BB would take a crap in his pants and TSN would do a 3 hour show on why the Laffs did not get him.

43. WarHero says:

Love the Habs plug Mr. Stubbs :) Pro!

44. Dave Stubbs says:

She’s Out of My League, starring Montreal’s own Jay Baruchel. Hilarious. What’s really sad is that I recognized the Pittsburgh airport like the back of my hand, having been through the place three times during last season’s Eastern Conference semifinal…

Also some good scenes shot in the old Mellon Arena, where the Habs bounced the Penguins in the building’s last game ever.

After the Habs beat the Penguins in the building’s first game ever.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

45. ooder says:

here is the clip on youtube

be warned.. this might increase your blood pressure

88 is the new 23

46. Bugs says:

As long as everyone is off topic, may as well throw my hat in the ring:

Finally got around to watchin my 3rd movie, the main event, “Drag Me to Hell” (again, what a fantastic title, drag me to HELL, yeah, baby!) So anyway…

The whole last 20 minutes are soooo anti-climactic because you know what the shtick is, so with the final reveal, you’re like “ohh, surprise, surprise; didn’t see that comin, pff.”

Scary? No. Shockingly disgusting? Very much so. There’s a scene at a funeral…blaaagh, it’s so gross. No reason for this movie to be 100 minutes long if it ISN’T for the blaaagh moments. (the nosebleed was cool, though…)

If this had been a 22min long Tales from the Crypt episode, though, it woulda kicked serious azz. The shtick woulda hafta been quicker and subtler and then maybe, you could’ve REASONABLY missed it, thereby making the end more enjoyable.

That being said…Drag Me to HEEEEEELL, baby! Rraaargh!

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

47. WarHero says:

Check out the new Ice Girl from The Fourth Period. Very nice indeed!

48. ooder says:

sorry Berky, but for me the game against the pens was the worst by far.

blatant trips.. not little ones right in front of the ref go uncalled just because it’s Cindy doing em.

i remeber where Crosby litteraly flipped hamrlik on our PK and nothing was called, and then Kunitz scored

that game had me so pissed of.. good thing we won

88 is the new 23

49. ooder says:

moives like this are my guilty pleasure…

thanks man

i find the beginning waaaaaaaay to much of a rip of of 28 days later (which is probably a rip off of something else)

88 is the new 23

50. Chorske says:

Laugh all you want, he was AWESOME on the combine.

Mind you, it was a combine thresher.

But still

51. CERF says:

i thank you 10x over, i love anything zombie related

52. Malreg says:

Here’s the thing about Bobby Ryan…  Because of Brian Burke, anybody who wants to trade for him will have to give a lot more than a prospect, roster player, and pick.

Bobby Ryan is a better and more valuable player then Phil Kessel, and Kessel was traded for two 1st round picks that could be 2 lottery picks, and a 2nd round pick.  Anaheim is going to expect an offer at least as good as that, if not better.

53. HFX-HabFan says:

If you’re referring to his old one with the beard being gone, the “new pic” has been up for most of the summer now.

54. andrewberkshire says:

Easy to say if, if, and if about things. If the officials had even called a marginal game it would have ended 5-2 Montreal, and with that momentum the next two games may have been different.

55. derfab says:

I’d think about Tinordi instead of Avstin, who looks very close. Whoever, Ryan is worth someone good.

character is derfab destiny.

56. andrewberkshire says:

That one was also abhorrent, but I can see a ref missing a trip, or pretending a Hab was diving, or missing a slash. But Tom Poti literally putting his stick between Halak’s legs and pushing him out of the net, and the play keeps going on… That blew my mind, when I was watching.

57. Corio says:

In light of the hockey-less news check out this new series, if you like zombie movies, this series is for you!

58. andrewberkshire says:

Yet you persist with making things up of the top of your head… Can’t say I’m surprised.

59. andrewberkshire says:

Opinions are different from statements of proposed fact. As for being a troll, I’ve made an average of about 1 comment per day in all of August I’m guessing. So yes, a ton of people have stated a ton of stuff I disagree with without me saying anything.

60. derfab says:

True. The refs suddenly allowed butt massages to Halak’s face. But had Washington been this brash (and humble) all through, they’d have taken it 4 straight. Ovie was off and several other Caps, including the coach, showed their lack of patience and poise.

character is derfab destiny.