Update: Henderson jersey sells for $1,067,538

Paul Henderson, star of Team Canada in the 1972 Summit Series, photographed with his history-making jersey this month.
Mike Cassesse, Reuters

Update: Read below for a news release issued by Goldhar’s company
this morning, outlining his plans for the sweater.

And you thought the Canadiens jersey was called the sacred flannel.

It would take the nouveau riche Tomas Plekanec almost 17 games, before taxes, to buy it. Which he didn’t. But Paul Henderson’s 1972 Summit Series jersey broke every conceivable record for hockey memorabilia last night by selling at auction for $1,067,538 U.S. after frenzied late bidding pushed it up by more than a half-million dollars in the final hours.

The jersey’s new owner is Mitchell Goldhar, owner of SmartCentres, a private real-estate development company based in Vaughan, Ont., north of Toronto. Read more on the sale here.

Goldhar must also pay Montreal-headquartered Classic Auctions a buyer’s premium of $208,169.91 – 19.5 per cent of the sale price – plus shipping. Shouldn’t be a problem: Goldhar, who brought Wal-Mart into Canada, ranked 50th on Canadian Business’ richest Canadians list in 2008 with a net worth of $1.06 billion.

Classic drew 42 bids in all in the month-long auction, and
typical of their sales, the most frantic action took place in
overtime, the winning bid made almost an hour after the scheduled 9 pm
ET close.

A 10-minute rule kept bidding going should someone new
have jumped into the game with less than 10 minutes to go, the auction
alive
until 10 minutes then passed without a new bid. It’s unclear how
involved Goldhar was in the bidding before he won the auction, or what his plans might be for the acquisition.

Classic
President Marc Juteau, in a 4 am email to me: “…amazing, we’re all
stunned in the office, the million-dollar jersey.”

——

Goldhar’s news release:

Toronto (June
23, 2010) – Mitchell Goldhar, owner of SmartCentres, today announced
that he
has purchased Paul Henderson’s 1972 Team Canada sweater from its
American owner
in a highly competitive auction held last evening.

“I am
pleased and proud to bring this important piece of Canadian history
home,”
Goldhar said. “As a lifelong hockey fan I know what Paul Henderson’s
winning
goal against the Russians in 1972 means to all Canadians.”

Goldhar
wants the sweater to reach all corners of Canada through a national
tour. He
plans to make arrangements for the sweater to be displayed at community
locations such as museums, including the Hockey Hall of Fame, to ensure
as many
Canadians as possible can share in this wonderful memory.

A Canadian
company, SmartCentres has more than 200 shopping centres in communities
big and
small, and operates in every province. SmartCentres is a major
contributor to
SickKids, Bloorview Kids Rehab, CAMH and the Canadian Museum for Human
Rights
and many other worthy causes across Canada.

1. nick says:

Haha, I hate it when that happens.

Port Perry, thats just a bit away from Uxbridge isn’t it? I think I went fishing out there awhile back.

2. andrewberkshire says:

When the hell did he compare himself to Ovechkin?

3. ed lopaz says:

is he a relative ot yours?

4. ed lopaz says:

one question.

what’s with the defenceman?

once the ball enters the scoring area, its like they move in slow motion to defend.

did you see the goal the Americans scored?

the algerian defenceman were “taking notes”, trying to figure out who to blame, while the first shot was taken, and then there was a huge rebound, and…..

while the Algerians were putting their pencils away,

the Americans scored.

It was weird.

No desperation – just a certain eery calmness, and acceptance.

note to Habs – don’t draft any soccer defenceman in the first round on Friday.

but, I agree with you Andrew.

I don’t watch a lot of soccer, but besides that non stop noise blowing going on in the stands, the World Cup is great.

5. Storm Man says:

Great post baby.

6. mike g says:

So MTL has had the thoughest time of all teams signing UFA’s every summer for the past 10 years…

Finally last year we managed to ink 2 top guys, Cammy and Gio. We signed guys like Spacek, Gill, Moen, etc…Traded for Gomez.

That was the 1st year we were ever able to make a splash. Now, 1 year into those 5/6 year deals to our 2 main guys, you wanna tell them “Sorry guys, I know your in some of the best years of your career, but were gonna rebuild now and suck for 4 years. Sorry, but that’s how it goes…”

I don’t think so. If we do that, we won’t sign another UFA for another decade at least. And if you think MTL has to rebuild, then 3/4 of the league should be rebuilding too….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

7. andrewberkshire says:

Anyone who doesn’t think soccer is entertaining should be watching CBC right now so Germany and Ghana can prove you wrong. End to end action like crazy.

8. ed lopaz says:

My error – they lost in the finals to the London Nights when he played with Crosby. I was the biggest Carey Price fan that I knew.

That was a while back, before he compared himself to ovechkin at the Montreal All Star game.

Better to cycle between tanks and championships than be caught in the cycle of mediocrity that is being in the middle of the pack for eternity.

10. adam76 says:

Markov played every game in that 4 – 11 record.

11. andrewberkshire says:

Makes a lot of sense, thanks for the info.

That could’ve been a good time to get that putt up to the lip of the cup. That 5.5 would’ve been enough to tilt the ball enough to sink it.

13. JIMVINNY says:

THe version that I heard had Sam Pollock as the guy who comes along and spots the open seat.

Markov is an elite D-Man, when healthy, my concern is that he’s gone down (granted once a freak accident) 3 times in the past two seasons, twice before the playoffs. People are talking about rushing him once he’s healed. The Habs can’t always be trying to *cough*win the Cup*cough* and only end up wilting in the playoffs.

Rushing Subban isn’t a good idea either. I’d rather see the Habs rebuild, stock up players to build, don’t hold your breath, around either Price or Subban, or both. But putting all the eggs in one basket being the next season only threatens to diminish the team’s potential over the long term.

Once there is a stable of players in the system the Habs can make moves on the market like trade for an elite goaltender the way the Blues just did.

15. Just A Guy says:

If I understand the legend correctly it was registered as a 5 on the (Mike?) Richter scale, not bad at all. Lets hope nobody was hurt. I think it was only last year when a piece of a building fell off on its own in downtown montreal and crushed someone in a restaurant below.

A dose of perspective though, I once had to calculate the difference in magnitude between a 6 and 7 scale earthquake and it was something like a factor of 100. I think the formula is logarithmic.

16. SeriousFan09 says:

Haha, I’ve seen a variation of that joke before but that’s a nice one :)

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

17. Chris says:

They often do in Eastern Canada as the seismic waves travel very well in the Canadian Shield.

18. SeriousFan09 says:

it would take about 2 games for the french media to be all over the
    “goalie controversy”.

Fixed 😉

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

19. MTLForever says:

felt it in hamilton.

THE LOVING  HABS HOCKEY FAN HUSBAND

A
    man had two of the best tickets for the Hockey Final. As he sits down,
    another man comes along and asks if anyone is sitting in the seat next
    to him.

“No”, he says, “the seat is empty.”

“This is
    incredible!” said the man, “who in their right mind would have a seat
    like this for the Final, the biggest sporting event of the year, and
    not use it?”

He says, “Well, actually, the seat belongs to me.
    My wife was supposed to come with me, but she passed away. This is the
    first Hockey Final we haven’t been to together since we got married.”

“Oh…
    I’m sorry to hear that. That’s terrible. I guess you couldn’t find
    someone else, a friend or relative or another Hab fan to take the
    seat?”

The man shakes his head…
    “No. They’re all at the funeral.”

21. JIMVINNY says:

Quite the opposite, in fact.  the Earth is saying “Get over it, you whiners.  He gone, and never coming back.  Oh, and stay green, or I’ll toss all of LA into the ocean.”

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Interesting, a possibility for MTL to add a PF, albeit with the talk of 2011 being a weaker draft year, Ambroz may be out of reach of the Habs draft position. Still, like the symmetry of adding another junior teammate to the Habs depth chart.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Felt at the golf course near Port Perry about an hour ago.  Toally screwed up my game.  I could have shot 66 but landed up with a 91.  Go figure.

24. andrewberkshire says:

The Oceanic never won. And if we’re going to count junior accomplishments, then you should be in love with Carey Price.

25. JIMVINNY says:

Not to mention he’s small, and plays small.  He does NOT cover a lot of the net.

26. SeriousFan09 says:

Kessel is one man, Sens tried for years to get by with 1 super-line of Spezza/Alfredsson/Heatley and that blew up eventually, Kessel is by himself and he can’t score that often, even Ovechkin needs a support crew in WSH for that team to get where it does. Sundin suffered many years in Toronto trying to play with weak teammates and he was a much better player than Kessel. Phaneuf has declined for two seasons and doesn’t have good defensive ability, Boston with the acquisition of Seguin concerns me more and a more mature, developed Tyler Myers in BUF.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

27. gohabsgo25 says:

ITS OFFICAL MONTREAL GETS 1ST ROUND PICK SO ALL OF MONTREAL WENT INTO A BIG QUAKE

28. PrimeTime says:

Nope….would still remain cyclical. No team in this system will ever win more than 2 cups straight again. Needs to change to Rich vs. Poor again. Rich teams attract bigger dollars to the Poorer teams home teams (see baseball)…..Yankees/ Red Sox/ Dodgers/ Cards always near sell outs on the road and at home! Better business model for the game!

“People build teams in certain ways. I’ve always traded for futures – not pasts.” – Sam Pollock The reason we are Hab fans http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1476

29. TorontoHabsFan says:

What’s interesting to me is that once again the Northeast Division is wide open – realistically every team except Toronto (and let’s wait to see what they do with Kaberle and the UFA market) could potentially win the division.

But I think Montreal is where the great majority of the conference is – they can finish anywhere from 5th to 12th. Welcome to the Parity Years. Until they change the points system and award 3 for a regulation win every year will be the same – two or three elite teams in each conference and 10 others that are all pretty close to each other.

30. ed lopaz says:

think Habs would be bring up a young, french quebecois goalie to back up Price???

I don’t.

it would take about 20 games for the french media to be all over the “goalie controversy”.

31. Chris says:

Yep…felt it pretty strongly here in Guelph on the 5th floor of my building.  Was pretty weird.

Guess the Earth didn’t like the Halak trade either…  😉

32. Just A Guy says:

That would be pigs flying.

33. ed lopaz says:

interesting scouting report and videos on Seth Ambroz on RDS.ca (2011 NHL draft, not 2010)

guy is 6’3 and over 200 lbs, power forward.

played in the USHL as a 15 year, he’s a 1993 bithdate.

played with Leblanc and Kristo.

34. PrimeTime says:

Got it here in TO. Way cool as long as nobody hurt….no reports so far.

35. SeriousFan09 says:

Not many goalies get pulled halfway through the AHL playoffs either in favour of a journeyman like Sanford.

Desjardins has a longer development track. His ability to play the puck is very weak and he’s got skating issues, besides emergency call-up with an injured goaltender, I can’t see him fitting into the Hab’s plans for 10-11.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

36. ed lopaz says:

“Bring up Cedric The Entertainer”

Cedric won 2 memorial cups, if I’m not mistaken, back to back.

1 with the Remparts under ST Patrick, and the under with Rimouski.

Not many goalies have done that I bet.

37. SeriousFan09 says:

Paul Henderson said if he was on the HHOF committee he wouldn’t vote for himself.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

38. andrewberkshire says:

Felt it below downtown MTL. I have no experience of earthquakes, but do they usually have such a large affected area?

39. GrimJim says:

I’ll bet you McDonagh doesn’t make the Rangers out of the 2010-11 training camp.

If you win, I’ll make 10 posts a day for a month saying Gainey and Gautier are the worst thing for Montreal since the Spanish Flu epidemic.

If I win you can’t post anything for one month.

Deal?

40. ed lopaz says:

who is Cushenan?

41. ed lopaz says:

thought for sure it was you, Tom, scrapping with Clay again. :-))

42. SeriousFan09 says:

Maple Loafs were supposed to dominate us all last year like the doom-and-gloom crowd suggested and we’d be on the outside while the Laughs were in the playoffs, remember how those predictions went? Laffs finishing close to last is a concern because it would mean that blowhard Burke gave our major divisional rival the Bruins another lottery pick.

How can the Leafs even contend in FA with no promise of playoffs to offer to prime free agents? All they have to offer is money and if people are just chasing money and not the championship, that just fills the roster with money-hungry, non-competitive players. And what exactly does Toronto have to offer up in trade? All their ex-players in trades quickly became goats, meaning no one wants another player with Leafs stench on them.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

43. Chuck says:

Toronto, Hamilton… all the way down past Niagara Falls reporting it, too.

Maybe Gary Bettman decided to give Canada another franchise.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

44. HabFanSince72 says:

You’re calling out out other fans for obsessive behaviour?

45. HabFanSince72 says:

Do you think you could actually try to be witty if you’re going to go on and on like this.

You’re not only obsessive, you’re boring boring boring.

46. matmacat says:

apparently it was felt on the eiffel tower, the pyramids of egypt, and the great wall of china. 2012 wasn’t just going to show up! It’ll creep slowly.

47. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s played 19 games in his last two years including 4 AHL games on that list. Wow, I’m shaking in my boots about him bringing all that heavy KHL experience to the NHL for the 10-11 season with such an impressive body of work. Panic much around here folks?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

48. Mike from Ktown says:

Felt it in kingston too, parents got it worse I think in Cornwall.

49. zozotheclown says:

Good 30 seconds of minor shaking here in Pointe-Claire, glad its not just me going crazy lol…

50. TomNickle says:

I had one too and I’m halfway between Toronto and Ottawa.

This is messed up.

51. SeriousFan09 says:

HH is just gassing up his tank brigade for a full-scale invasion of Habs I/O if the season doesn’t start off very well.

Did Koivu leaving make us all forget what an injury-plagued career actually looks like? I love Koivu but damn was his yearly injury a pain in the ***.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

52. SeriousFan09 says:

We apparently had a tremor in Brantford, but I was driving and must have missed it. That’s a bit weird when you think about it.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

53. habsfansince91 says:

i felt it for about 5 seconds here in laval

Unless of course a team builds via the draft. Soon friends soon. You will all look back on HH and his tank theory and realize that he was in fact correct.

55. nick says:

Felt the tremor / earthquake here downtown MTL. Also confirmed up near Jean Talon. Anyone off the island?

56. Psycho29 says:

Big earth tremor here in Vaudreuil….Did the Habs make another trade???

57. Storm Man says:

Tony what number are you on the list?

58. mike g says:

I just love how some of you want to trade our best player, a top 7 defenseman in the league, just because he’s gotten injured for one year in his career….

Tearing an ACL doesn’t make you soft. It will make any person on the face of the earth miss significant time. When he was out, we all cried and said the season was over because our dear Markov was injured. Then he rushed his rehab, came back almost 2 months earlier from a sometimes career threatening injury, and all was jolly. Until of course, the savior himself, PK came in a made you guys all pop a you know what in your pants.

Now, you guys suggest we trade the guy we all cried about last year and said was our best player. He still is our best player….

But hey we can trade him, because we have “bright lights” in our organization in Kristo, Leblanc, and Subban. They’ve proven so much at the NHL level, that Markov is now expendable. Heck, I heard Chicago has some awsome defenseman down on the farm, so I think it’s time they trade Keith and Seabrook. I mean hey, Seabrook got a concussion last year so they should trade him for sure…..

So, let’s trade Markov who’s proven to be one of the best, and cross our fingers that those guys develop into superstars, right? Then when they don’t live up to being 100 pt players at 20 years old, we’ll just smash them in the papers and on the radio.  Because we all know that didn’t happen to one of our goaltenders (Price), right?….

F’kin MTL….Seriously people, wake up.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

59. Bozo McBozo says:

He must have one hell of a screwed-up balance sheet if his net is just $1.06. Damn, he can’t buy a Happy Meal and was the winning bidder on Henderson’s jersey. Shows the power of debt. What a dude!

60. The Capitalist Pig says:

Personally, I’m looking forward to a full season of Carey Price as the Habs go-to guy. No more hiding. No more excuses. No more crying. Plan B remains the usual, however. Bring up Cedric The Entertainer, have him get the team into the playoffs, and then hand the top job back to Price in the playoffs. I wish I had a guy who could bail me out at work when I suck, do the job well and just hand it back to me.

61. mike g says:

WOW….

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more negative person that you. It’s incredible, every single thing corcerning the Habs with you is wrong. It’s pathetic man, if you can’t cheer for them don’t say anything.

All you do is spread negativity around here. People come on this site to pass some time and enjoy talking about their favorite team.

You just constantly ruin it all.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

62. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Cammi Granato got in through the women’s category, which is totally seperate from the men’s category. There are a maximum of 2 women who can get in, and a maximum of 4 men (players) per year. They chose to only select 1 out of 4 possible slots this year, but that has no bearing on Granato.

I would also say that Paul Henderson’s entire HOF candidacy comes down to a 3 second period of his career. Put the puck in there, put the jersey in there, no way does the player belong in there.

Henderson Shmenderson.

What about the Habs lack of size up front? What about the Habs lack of depth on the blue line?

What about the need for a back-up/mentor/possible starter in nets?

I can’t believe people here are predicting the Habs at 5th over-all in the East.

I just hope that should the Habs be around 12th spot after the ASG that rather then sell the farm at another shot at squeeking in at 8th that they trade Markov, Hamrlik (if possible), AKostitsyn (if he isn’t already gone by then) for picks and prospects. The Habs need to start stocking the shelves because even though there are some bright lights (Kristo, Leblanc) there isn’t enough in the pipes to build anything other than a bubble team.

If Markov gets injured next season, the Habs shouldn’t resign him, that’s for sure, so IMHHO trading him between the time of his return and the trade deadline would be the best option.

64. TripleX says:

Delusions of grandeur.

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

65. The Capitalist Pig says:

There is little glory in house-league hockey.

66. TripleX says:

I think I would prefer watching Skins Curling or Synchronized Swimming.  One has players on ice and the other, well you know the other.

67. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

He hasn’t played a single game on the super cap friendly contract he signed last fall, no way Chiarelli sells low for Kaberle. If Savard bounces back with Kessel, it’s too much to risk. The last 3 years of that contract are for 1.5M, 525,000 & 525,000, which will be below the league minimum salary at that point.

He may not put up another 90 point season between now and then, and even though he is breaking longevity records by playing deep into his early 30s, I’d say he’s capable of 70 or more for the next couple of years. At that point, $4M cap will look pretty good for a 2nd iine center, and if they can do better, they’d have no problem moving that contract to a salary floor team.

As for Thomas, mentioned below, they are pooched. That was a bad contract and they are going to have to eat that, or lose a trade to get rid of him – just like we will to be able to move Hamr.

68. The Capitalist Pig says:

Yea, he didn’t want to be a Leaf!

69. likehoy says:

maybe whoever plays USA in the round of 16 could hire habs fans so we can boo the US anthem

70. PrimeTime says:

PG moves Halaka to sign Pleck…….this cap thing stinks…..all just to please the US teams.! 30 mediocre where “anyone can win in a given year” makes a crappy league.  Any fan who hopes for the glory days of the past are in the wrong matrix.

71. The Capitalist Pig says:

Perhaps they are at work? Wednesday is not the new Friday for all of us.

72. likehoy says:

must be his agent…dominic moore’s demands with the leafs were out of whack too

73. TripleX says:

He is probably upset he has once again been snubbed by the HHOF while Cammi Granato gets in first ballot.  The man who scored arguably the most famous goal in all of hockey history is not in and someone who excelled in a two team sport does.

74. The Capitalist Pig says: