Update: Habs outgrow Teen Ranch

• Food for thought: Who should be the Canadiens’ next captain?

From Pat Hickey: The Canadiens won’t be heading back to Teen
Ranch in Ontario to do a little bonding at the end of training camp. This
fall, they’re heading to Clermont, in the Charlevoix region – just a hop, step
and jump from the casino in Malbaie.

The Habs will head
there after their final exhibition against the Islanders on Oct. 2 at
Le Colisée in Quebec. They will spend four days practising in Clermont
before flying to Toronto for their season opener on Oct. 7.

1. le_vrai_jacques says:

Referring to the diagram, what is the purpose of the 2 short lines 4 feet from the goal line?

2. K-hab25 says:

The fact you call a 23 year old goalie a “flame out”, tells me you already passed judgement on the kid. I mean really, mid november, Halaks #’s were awful in mid NOV and Price had his 2 best months in NOV and DEC last year. By your logic Halak should’ve been run out of town, before he took off in mid DEC. He was a below average goalie until mid DEC afterall, or are these just the Price rules. You know like being 23 is “no longer young”, a .912 sv% is “bad”, winning 60 games, a playoff series and all star start by the time he’s 22, is being a “flame out.”

3. Habsforlife 1959 says:

The best thing to end all this NONSENSE is for Carey Price to sit out this entire season. Lets see were the habs would finish this season without Price in nets. I bet they would want BIG changes in Montreal if that had to happen? It sure would put an end to the Halak/Price for good. Carey Price is not the problem like a few here thinks he is. Prediction would be a totally different view if this would take place cause they would be chanting for him to come back instead of bashing and booing Price every chance they could get.

SEE YOU NEXT YEAR CAREY!!!! CAREY WINS!!! CAREY WINS!!! CAREY WINS!!! CAREY WINS!!!

Just image what would be taken place if Carey Price sits???????????UPROARS ON THE HORIZEN??????

4. RiverviewCanadien says:

They SHOULD be grateful to have that God-given talent and be touted so highly, paid millions of dollars playing a (FRANKING) sport! While thousands of children die each day of starvation, malnutrition, etc.

Price Basher rhetoric? Come on suck it up a little and get a grip. These guys tend to be primadonnas all the time…millions of dollars to play a sport they love, yeah I feel so bad for the decisions they have to make…get real.

5. JD_ says:

* Just caught this headline on nhl.com, “In Florida, Tallon sees similar situation as Chicago”. I didn’t bother readin’ the story and can therefore only surmise the new GM expects to sign Vokoun to a five-year, $50 million contract, screw up the Panther’s RFA portfolio next June, and then get shown the door. Man, you’d think the guy would already have learned his lesson.

* An excerpt from Burkie’s op-ed piece on NHLers participatin’ in international competition, “And once you make that effort and get out there, you find the game [hockey] is elusive…You can skate 50 times and still be stumbling around, let alone handling a puck.” Well, the message is clear: Burkie’s Mopey Loafs intend to start draftin’ and tradin’ for players that have skated more than 50 times. Should be firin’ off a memo to his scoutin’ staff any minute now.

* One of the options being examined at the NHL’s R&D camp is a variety of penalties for players who are repeatedly tossed from the faceoff circle. I’d say this is the real reason Rob Brind’Amour decided to retire at the end of last season except for the fact that not one linesman in the league had the balls to toss the ol’ faceoff cheat outta the circle over the past two, very minusy seasons. This blind eye approach to reffin’ vets who compensate for their weary bones through increasingly dirty play is generally known as the Messier Protocol.

* Carey Price hasn’t signed. In other news, starlet Pamela Anderson has announced plans to drop her actin’ career. In a similar development, retired hockey great Darryl Sittler has let it be known he will be returnin’ his Stanley Cup ring.

* Another interestin’ concept being studied by the league is the addition of a yellow line three inches inside the goal line, as seen in this diagram, which would ostensibly render the goal verification process easier; i.e., if in the video review, the puck is seen to be touchin’ the yellow line, it has effectively crossed the goal line. There is, however, some concern in the Philadelphia organization that goaltender Michael Leighton’s penchant for wettin’ the bed while in nets could lead to some confusion.

* The G-Love video clip that’s been posted on here a few times is an interestin’ watch. PK’s turnin’ into a monster. Hope he’s not juicin’. Cammy’s a smoothy who always says the right thing and cringes when Gomer doesn’t. Ah, Gomer, you can see the seethin’ competitiveness simmerin’ beneath the surface. Love it. Season started, yet?

6. RiverviewCanadien says:

I agree. Price will be paid alot less and our Habs are a better team than the Blues. That is a no brainer…

7. RiverviewCanadien says:

it is do not due

8. LA Loyalist says:

No. I will be cheering for him and I hope he does great. BUT it’s not me he has to win over, it’s his team mates.

If he chokes up fur ball soft goals like he has the past couple of years it won’t be pretty in Montreal.

I’ve been pretty clear in my posts that I don’t even blame Price that he’s been a flame-out so far. I blame Gainey for rushing him when he obviously wasn’t ready. And trust me I was planning the parade the day we hired Gainey. I was wrong.

Maybe he’s the next Dryden. I hope so. But I’m afraid he’s the next Wickenheiser.

A team’s collective pschological makeup is highly dependent on its goalie.

Let’s talk in mid-November. I’ll happily buy you a beer if I’m wrong, but I don’t see him having a very long window to put his stamp on this team.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

9. RiverviewCanadien says:

I don’t think it will be a horrible contract, they really can’t pay him that much, so really, how bad could it be?

Andrew, in your opinion, what is the hold up, and what are your thoughts on the contract that will emerge in the next 2 weeks…how do you think it will be structured?

10. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Aside from Rob Brown, maybe

11. Chuck says:

That’s the double-edged sword of being a goalie: you can play as well as the next guy, but not be rewarded for it in the wins column. It’s like a pitcher that tosses 8 innings of shutout ball, but leaves the game only to watch the next guy give up the winning run. Though in that scenario, no one goes around saying that your starting pitching sucked.

12. topher5468 says:

Getting psyched for the season to start Andrew, I hope Price signs soon. The less distractions, the better. I think Price can do the job.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

13. K-hab25 says:

Stats don’t matter to them, only wins and losses and that only started this year after Halak won more games. Speaking of stats I did a comparison of the 2 months they played there most games in and the GF differential was like you said. In the 18 games Price played he had 46 GA, Halak in 18 games had 44 GA, the team scored 43 GF in Prices starts, but 58 in Halaks starts. Needless to say Halak had a better record, 12-5-1, compared to 8-8-2 for Price. Funny how your teammate gets 15 more GF than you, in the same amount of games, wins more often. I think Price will get more starts and victories than Halak this year though. There back up is much better than ours, so I see Halak getting 50 starts or so. I think Price will get 60 or so. Then again injuries could play a major role in how either of them do. Lets just hope it’s there injuries and not ours.

14. Favorite Son says:

This was probably already posted, but for those who didn’t see: interview with Cammi, Gomez and PK. Pretty cool stuff. Also Boudreau is talking sh*t still. Scroll down for the interview.

15. HFX-HabFan says:

So then, by that logic…goaltending is more expendable (if it’s easier to acquire one goalie over six forwards), making it…not as important?  I think you’re agreeing to what I originally pointed out then.

It is more expendable.  The market in the last decade has proved it: goalies never fetch a huge return in trades (IE- the outcry that we supposedly didn’t get enough for Halak, or even go back further to the Roy trade), and top-flight forwards (rentals or not) require much more significant returns.

16. Chuck says:

If that’s the case, then why didn’t they go the easy route and get the one great goalie? Philly’s been looking for that guy since the days of Hextall.

17. SeriousFan09 says:

Wow, bit OT before I go out for a bit but did I stir up a hornet’s nest at Hockey’s Future, there is a cult dedicated to Jordan Staal, some of them convinced he’s going to become a 40 goal scorer. Seriously, they do know how few people hit that mark and all of them have been goal scoring aces since they were 9 years old right?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

18. Chuck says:

I still believe that Price’s cost-per-win will be lower that Halak’s this season. That should give them something to chew on.  :)

19. Chuck says:

Absolutely… many Hab fans that go to see the ‘Dogs wear the CH. You won’t be out of place.

I know I’ve been hard on you PT as of late, maybe even a bit of an ass, but this is an excellent reply to a post so I will not just commend you but also reply in kind.

Unfortunately the Habs after ’79 collapsed as an organization. NYI and EDM-Oil took the reins. The Habs had a spark with Penney and then came the Roy years, the trade and the demise. No wonder that goaltending is so leaned upon in Montreal.

I agree that the team needs to get away from that and play better hockey, not put everything or if not that then so much on the shoulders of the netminder.

21. K-hab25 says:

I’m loking foward to it aswell. I mean how great It’ll be to here the whiners and complainers, due what they due best. I have a feeling the Desjardins trade was just them warming up for the main event. :-)

22. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Weird question……I live in Toronto and have never been to a Bulldogs vs. Marlies game at Ricoh, but I hope to go several times this season.

Is it common and/or acceptable practice to wear a Habs jersey to a Bulldogs game?  I have a beautiful new #13 sweater I’m dying to try out, and since I’m being realistic about not being able to get tickets for when our boys come to the ACC, I figured it’d be the next best thing =)

23. TripleX says:

Chicago and Philadelphia are both blessed with an abundance of world class top six forwards.  Most teams are not so lucky and require good goaltending to compensate.  The Habs are most definitely in the group that needs quality goaltending to be competitive.

You could look at the two Stanley Cup finalists and conclude that goaltending is not that important.  That may be true if you have the offensive talent to overcome mediocre goaltending.  But it is much easier to acquire ONE great goalie than it is to acquire SIX top forwards.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

24. T-roy West says:

If it’s all about term and Price’s agent is trying to  sneak in a bit extra here and there like you have stated then why is his agent looking for a shorter term then the Canadiens are willing to give? It was reported that they weren’t close in the term of the contract. Price agent wanting short and management wanting longer.

25. mike g says:

Somehow, this popped up in my head….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

26. K-hab25 says:

‘He’s got 20 games, thats it” LMAO Who are you? Exactly!! You don’t make any decisions for the team or work for them in any capacity. So you don’t get to say, “20 games, thats it.” Unless of course you are referring to giving him 20 games to get going, before you pass judgement, but we both know thats BS, because you already passed judgement on him a long time ago.

27. Chuck says:

To tell you the truth Andrew, I’m kind of looking forward to it.

28. RGM says:

That’s a virtual guarantee.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

29. LA Loyalist says:

Like Super-Mario, Rejean Houle and Roy? Ha! Just kidding. it still hurts, though, that one.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

30. Propwash says:

No kidding.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

It’s the other way around. Show me a good goaltender and I’ll show you a good coach and possibly a good GM.

Roy made Jacques Demers look good, not the other way around.

It doesn’t lessen the impact a good coach has on a team or a game that is riding a hot hand in nets however, but perception, to many, is reality.

32. andrewberkshire says:

I can’t wait until Price signs and this site implodes, screaming about how bad the deal is.

33. andrewberkshire says:

Peter Laviolette, great coach. Where’s his great goalie? Joel Quennville, same thing. Barry Trotz, same thing.

34. LA Loyalist says:

“respect” is kind of abstract and can be argued all day.

How about Price’s PERFORMANCE – entirely quantifiable and entirely unimpressive TO DATE.

He’s got 20 games. That’s it.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

35. HFX-HabFan says:

I think this year’s finals proved that good coaching can overcome mediocre to average at best goaltending.

36. HFX-HabFan says:

I wasn’t suggesting anything along those lines- my post didn’t contain anything about either Price or Auld.  I was simply pointing out that goaltenders don’t always play as key a role as we often think.  They’re important, yes, but not as much we might lead ourselves to believe.

I think the Oilers of the 1980s would have found ways to win some Cups with a goalie other than Fuhr or Moog.  Same goes for the early ’90s Penguins, they seemed to be successful whether it was Barrasso, Wregget or Pietrangelo between the pipes.

37. HabFab says:

Since this will allow millions in Toronto to actually see some hockey this season…OK.

38. Jonnyboy says:

Umm did you see which teams made the finals?

39. The Cat says:

Thats cause the market dictates it, it doesnt make the role any less important. Show me a good coach, a good GM and Ill show you a good goaltender.

You are aware that you’re posting on the Habs Inside/Out web site.

It’s an attempt to improve the quality of hockey available on TV for viewers in the Greater Toronto Region.

42. PrimeTime says:

Way too emphasis is put on the goalie in MTL. They are never as good or as bad as the fans believe. If the goalie has to be the backbone and team “best player” to win then it isn’t much of a team. The goalie is just another player that has to make a contribution as much as a top 6 F or top 4 D. No more and no less. If the majority of these 11 lead players fail the team loses. This is what a coach sees and many of the MTL fans who grew up with Roy as their “hero” do not.

…………..”People build teams in certain ways. I’ve always traded for futures – not pasts.” – Sam Pollock

The reason we are Hab fans http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1476

43. SeriousFan09 says:

You think I like what’s going on? I’m just saying all these teams have serious issues if they can’t resolve this RFA issues, no Stewart and Mueller? Colorado’s back in lottery positon pretty quick. Ryan’s the only impact player from the ANA draft in years, he goes, they’re good and screwed and have to get to work rebuilding their offence further.

Key RFAs are holding out for a little bit extra like they always do, Price is a different case but his agent is just trying to work out the best deal in the interest of his client, without starting a media war on it I would add.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

44. TripleX says:

Are you suggesting the chances of a win are the same if Auld or Price is in goal?  Then I guess we have no worries.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

45. SeriousFan09 says:

Fans should think about public relations the next time they get loaded, put on black face and boo the US national anthem about whose really the bad apple at the Bell Centre.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

46. observer says:

CBC announces deal to televise 10 games involving Canadian NHL teams farm teams.        —       http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2010/08/19/sp-cbc-ahl-deal.html

47. HFX-HabFan says:

Sure…that’s why only four goalies have won the league’s MVP award in the last fifty years, and why currently only two of the twenty highest-paid players in the league are goalies.

48. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Lets see how Halak performs in St Louis?

49. TripleX says:

None of those players are expected to play 60 minutes per game over a minimum of 55 games.  A starting goalie can’t realistically be compared to any other roster player in terms of impact on the teams chances of winning or losing.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

50. observer says:

Re: Guy Lafleur topic below. A great video to learn from.     — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

51. ed lopaz says:

when you stand alone in front of 21,273, and tens of thousands more on T.V.

yes, you should be concerned about Public Relations.

52. ed lopaz says:

thanks for the post.

When you say – “ideal? No”.

That’s precisely what I was saying.

Its NOT IDEAL.

Ideal would have been the following:

trade Halak, a few days pass, sign Price.

that’s all i was saying.

That would have worked for everyone.

please do NOT compare price’s situation to any other player in the league.

he plays for the habs.

he plays goalie for the habs.

he did NOT play in 18/19 playoff games, and NONE of our 9 wins.

Price’s situation is completely unique.

His idiot agent should have understood that and pushed for a different outcome.

Or, should I blame price – like HIO blames Halak for his stupid agent.

Halak got 3.75 million.

We’ll see what Price gets.

53. RGM says:

Primadonna scum (some are probably alcoholics with mental issues) who put themselves before their team, the whole lot of them should even be grateful to be in the NHL. Don’t they recognize how bad this looks to the fans and how it hurts their public reputation? /Price-basher rhetoric

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

54. SeriousFan09 says:

RFA Watch 2010:

Nicklas Bergfors: Key plank of the Kovalchuk trade to NJ for ATL, he will have to one of the offensive forces for ATL to win this season.

Bryan Little: A year removed from a 30-goal outburst in ATL, Little could offer another cheap source of scoring for a cash-strapped ATL team facing a loss of revenue with the departure of their superstar Kovalchuk.

Bobby Ryan: Potentially the best power forward to hit the NHL in years and the part of the youth trio of that he forms with Getzlaf and Perry for an explosive scoring unit.

Chris Stewart: One of the standouts of the surprising Colorado Avalanche, at 22 with 28G, 36A last season, he could be a big part of the youth revival in Colorado as they seek to reclaim their old status as a League powerhouse.

Peter Mueller: The man coming back in the Wolski trade between Phoenix and Colorado, Mueller took to his new environment with enthusiasm until injuries sidelined him from playoff participation, but the abilities that made him a high first round selection were in evidence.

Marc Staal: A very solid defensive defencemen for NYR, superior to all their overpaid UFA signings and still waiting on a contract from Mad Man Sather.

Steve Downie: A key part of Tampa’s return to an offensive force, this scumbag has had notable success and racks up the PIMs in TB after a breakout 09-10 season. Without a contract, despite Tampa needing all the assets they can retain.

Patric Hornqvist: A breakout 30-goal season with Nashville, he’s one of a few offensive lights they have after NSH successfully flipped this 7th-round pick into an offensive scorer, still no deal.

James Neal: Another emerging power forward, James Neal has 51 goals in his first two NHL seasons and and is favoured to be a key plank in the offence of a cash-strapped Dallas club that’s on the auction block.

9 high-profile RFAs who are still not signed with their clubs. This is all about term folks and Price’s agent trying to sneak in a bit extra here and there like all these guys have their agents doing. Everyone gets told by their agent they’ll be signed, don’t worry I’m just trying to get you a bit extra. Ideal? No but that’s how the game is played.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

55. habs-hampton says:

“The Marlies are featured in seven games this season, with Hamilton and Manitoba each playing four times.”

Figures, twice as many Leafs as Habs.  Yup, that’s CBC allright!!

56. oshawahabsfan says:

Nope, that’s pretty bang on. Chris Pronger’s wife traded him from Edmonton haha

57. Top Corner says:

“Carey Price has not shown any return on the respect he has been given”

WOW

Kind of like the respect from HABS fans such as yourself ….

58. SeriousFan09 says:

Burke blowing his own horn and overselling his accomplishments? Nah…

Took a stroke of genius to arrive to a team that had Scott Niedermayer’s brother on it and sign him when he left a mini-dynasty in NJ specifically because he wanted to play with his brother for a Cup.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

59. DAVE. N says:

Absolutely…he inherited a team..didn’t build it at all

60. HabFanSince72 says:

Apparently Brian Burke “likes to refer to his Cup-winning team in Anaheim as a model of how he likes to build a team”.

Except he didn’t build that team did he?

Or am I wrong? I always thought he took an already very good team and tweaked it a bit. And got a lot of help from the NHL during the playoffs.

61. slamtherimtim says:

kinda why im concerned , i think a 2 year deal would be a slap in the face

62. Aerobiz says:

Joey, I think the reason why people are so concerned is because from where we are sitting we have seen the Habs management invest a great deal of energy, trust, leway, patience, hope, protection and commitment in Carey Price. This team has moved mountains and contendable replacments in an effort to give make Price THE goalie for this franchise’s future.

What we’ve seen in return is a hockey player who felt it was okay to give the Patrick Roy salute in the playoffs two years ago not long after joking around on some tv show (Cabbie?) after a playoff loss.

And when he was given the opportunity to step up in the playoffs this year he took two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in the same game.

People are upset and concerned because, again from where we are sitting, Carey Price has not shown any return on the respect he has been given.

“The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something.”- Randy Pausch

63. Psycho29 says:

I agree 100%…Everyone should be enjoying their summer and not worrying about things out of our control. The team doesn’t seem to be worried, nor does Price and his agent. It will get done very soon.

There will be plenty of time for whining and complaining from October to June. (Hopefully June!!!)

64. B says:

Flipping it back over.

Of the recent goaltenders who have stayed with the Habs, how many have:

1. Had success since they stayed with MTL ?
    2. A job today in the NHL ?
  65. nunacanadien says:

I disagree on Halak getting better after he left Montreal.  Buddy, Halak was great, our defense sucked and Halak still managed to win!  That is the mark of a champion!  We let go a winner.

66. LA Loyalist says:

is that supposed to be sarcasm?

67. Pucker Up says:

What, more Leaf games?

68. Bill J says:

Get to see Avstin 4 times this season – cool!

69. Bill J says:

There’s an interesting flip side to this coin.

Of the recent goaltenders who have left the Habs, how many have :

1) Had success since they left MTL ?

2) A job today in the NHL ?

Huet / Aebischer / Theodore…

Now granted Huet will collect a NHL paycheck, but he ain’t playing in the NHL is he now ?

70. RiverviewCanadien says:

care to elaborate? i have no idea what was wrong with it…

I just had a not so comforting thought. Remember how Ribiero and Latendresse got better after they were traded. I’ve always said that Halak hasn’t peaked yet or hit his apex, so imagine if (more like when) he gets better in the next season.

Man this site is gonna squirm and moan.

72. joeybarrie says:

Last exhibition game October 2nd. Thats in 44 days. I don’t understand why people are freaking out of the Price contract. No offer sheets have come in. No in the organization is worried. Nothing from the Price camp. Everyone knows AUGUST is the month everyone is on vacation. Why are we so stressed about this. They will come back from vacation, they will meet in the middle, and he will sign on the dotted line. He will come to camp as scheduled and as normal and it will be done…

Why do we assume he doesn’t want to play here, why do we assume the worst. ALSO why are we so stupid as to call him fat??? You just confirm yourself as stupid… No news is GOOD news. But then again if the world isn’t crashing over a mole hill then obviously people wouldn’t be satisfied.

Relax, have yourself a boat drink, sit down and smell some flowers. He will sign and be our goalie. AND HE WILL DO GREAT. But never as great as we KNOW Halak WOULD have been if he had of stayed a HAB… Kinda like Souray and Ryder…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

73. Mr-T says:

I read it before it was deleted. The reason why is self-explanatory.

74. Psycho29 says:

What’s the rush? It’s only mid August.

75. derfab says:

Oh PIERRE!!!!!!

sign the little dogie and get his fat butt between the pipes or ship him outta here.

character is derfab destiny.

76. K-hab25 says:

How is a guy 6′ 3, 220 lbs, fat? He’s the size of an NFL safety or Jeff Carter, is he fat?

I hope they find a kid that wants to play between the pipes here.

Get rid of the ones that do not dream to wear our colours.

Don’t let the door hit you on the ass.!

78. ed lopaz says:

there’s no drama in me, buddy.

See Ian’s post above.

Its not about the other goalie.

Its about business.

79. JIMVINNY says:

Tell that to the other RFA’s that are unsigned.  To counter your last point, the player is under no obligation to sign the first offer placed in front of them either.  or the following ones, for that matter.

80. JIMVINNY says:

A business which you clearly do not understand, Eddie.  A player’s first obligation is to himself, and to do what’s best for him.  Rarely ever is that to sign the first contract he sees.  That’s why the players have agents, and a union.

Please educate yourself a little better before making totally irrational statements.

81. K-hab25 says:

NO you’re wrong, the team can not make him sign a long term deal. As everybody, who has bothered to read about this knows, the team wants a long term contract and he wants a short term one. Money is not the issue, so your 10% stuff doesn’t matter. That’s not the issue, at all.

82. ed lopaz says:

dude – I have 20 years of education and 5 years of university.

There is a time to negotiate and a time to sign.

Price’s ‘negotiating” is a joke.

That’s what’s irrational – when you “negotiate’ with no power.

He is in NO POSITION to change the deal.

He should have signed BEFORE the summer, and it would have been better for everyone involved.

83. K-hab25 says:

Oh it’s about the other goalie alright. If you don’t think so, than ask yourself this. Why is it the people who are constantly complaining that he hasn’t signed yet, are also the same people still complaining about Halak and Desjardins being traded? Coincidence, I think not. People don’t like the guy. So much so that nonissues, become a huge deal. You know like him not signing yet, a 25 year old AHL goalie being traded, drinking a beer. I mean everything he does is scrutinized by that group of people.

Realising this is a team sport, the team and your team mates come first or you have a non winning room. Leave your ego at the door.

85. Mark C says:

While I agree, the team pretty much holds the hammer. Price clearly has power, and enough so to negotiate. Price’s power of negotiation is relative to how much Montreal wants to sign him. The only way Price could have zero power is if the team didn’t want to sign him.

86. andrewberkshire says:

I love how every time someone challenges you, you either make irrelevant claims about your education or say how long you’ve been a fan, like it matters.

He is not part of the team until he has a contract, all the signed players know right now that he is not a team mate.!!

So much for chemistry and harmony in the room.  Like “WHO” is our goal tender this year boys??

88. K-hab25 says:

Have you been taking drama classes too Ian? First you claim to know Price doesn’t want to play here. Then that his teammates don’t think he’s there goalie. Had alot of interviews with Price and his teammates have you? I highly doubt it. You’re welcome to your opinion Ian, but don’t make stuff up.

89. thebigguy says:

Passingly, does 5 years of education mean you spent 5 years doing a 3 or 4 year degree? That’s what it sounds likek to me and that’s hardly something to brag about. I too have about 20 years of education. Nursery 2 (years), pre k + kindergarten (2 years), grades 1-11, 2 years cegep followed by 3 years of study to get a BA. That’s 20 years as well.

In my experience, the more often you say dude, the less seriously you’re taken.

I never said Price did not want to play here. And I did say that the signed and committed players to our club do not know who their goal tender is going to be this year. I am not the only one that needs reading lessons

91. Bill J says:

If they really DO want Price.

YES they have an obligation to negotiate.

If you think otherwise, you are clearly not looking at things from both angles here.

Price does not HAVE to sign, that is HIS bargaining power.

92. ed lopaz says:

Bachelors degree and MBA.

Thats for you too, down below, Andrew.

yes. when someone tells me to ‘educate” myself, they will hear about my education.

And, yes, being a hockey fan for 40 years is something I take pride in (in which I take a lot of pride, Paul).

I think some of you guys in your 20’s can benefit a little from experience, just like I try to learn from

your generation.

And that is my respectful reply.

Something else in which i take pride.

93. ed lopaz says:

the only way Price has “power’ is if he, Price, decides to sit out a year; which he will never do.

therefore, he should have signed immediately after Halak was traded.

94. ed lopaz says:

what option does price have if he does not sign – sit out a year.

is that a real option??

therefore, it is Price who is obligated here, not the Habs.

the Habs have other options, as Ian has pointed out.

They could go and get another goalie, for example.

Of course, it will never come to that, because in the end, Price will cave and he will sign.

95. SeriousFan09 says:

Ed, I’m forever playing catch-up with the NHL and it’s history, having only really become a “Serious Fan” in the last couple of years but in my experience at 26 years old, hockey or wherever in life, people will make the moves that work out the best for them if they think they’ll get away with it and it doesn’t hurt anyone.

Agent tells a guy if he waits a little bit longer he’ll be a bit richer for next couple of years, who’s he to argue, the agent is the professional at this and Price is the goalie. There’s no bad media stories about ugly negotiations, trade threats or signing Niemi outside of Eklund-land so why would Price worry while he’s well away from the MTL Media in BC? Besides, is Scott Gomez going to give Price the stink-eye when he joins the Habs at training camp? Gomez left his drafting team for an obscence contract. Hal Gill left Pittsburgh because he wanted a bit of extra money. Gionta came to Montreal because he was offered the richest contract. Players aren’t going to judge each other too harshly about attempts to make a little extra money if they all get together at training camp in the end and play as a team. I don’t see the slightest possibility the Price contract will be an issue by that time.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

96. Exit716 says:

Why read an article when one can just post gibberish and half-truths?

97. madcap_habsfan says:

This hockey “business” isn’t really something i fully grasp well, though on here im learning, but please, i think it’s a bunch of crap to say a  player’s first obligation is to himself because as far as i’m concerned, unless you are a player with a family to take into consideration, you should be happy to get whatever you can, no i’m not saying go for the first thing you’re offered but to make a big deal out of it angers me because these players make more money then they could have ever dreamed of making to be playing a game they love, some people actually spend their lives doing things they don’t love and never complain. these players are a previledged bunch and while some realize that, some need to learn. that being said, i’m sure Cowboy is aware of that fact, i mean we can only hope, but i’m sure he is.

-“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

98. ed lopaz says:

Price should have signed immediately after the Halak trade.

That would have been good for the Habs, good for Price, and good for the fans.

This “negotiating” is a freakin waste of time.

In the end, Price has no option and no recourse but to accept the Habs offer.

So what did Price accomplish by not signing except making every one wait??

What was the motivation on Price’s part to wait?

Why would the Habs change their offer over the summer when they simply did not have to?

Obviously there are no “offer sheets” out there.

Its bad business all around.

Same deal all over the league.

99. JIMVINNY says:

You’re wrong.  If Price doesn’t want to sign a long-term contract, which is what the team wants, they DO have to change their offer.  Price is less likely to break down and sign a long term deal, than the team is to break down and offer a short term deal.

100. K-hab25 says:

Why are most of the other top RFA’s still not signed? Why do baseballs top picks not sign till deadline day? It happens like this every year ED, nothings changed. The only people bothered by him not being signed, are the people who think we traded the wrong guy and are somewhat bothered by anything involving Price. It’s not a big deal, he has missed ZERO practices, team meetings or games. So please save the drama, atleast until the guy has actually missed a team organized event.

101. ed lopaz says:

No – you are wrong!!!

As a RFA, the team holds the hammer in the deal.

last year’s salary + 10%, and get back to work.

The team has no obligation to negotiate whatsoever.

Public relations is a big part of this game, once broken it is hard to get the support back. Bring in someone new and lets get on with it. Ego’s and agents are ruining this game. Thank gawd for the CAP.

103. JIMVINNY says:

Ian, come on.  What has Price done to give you the indication he doesn’t want to play here?  That’s a ridiculous assumption, and most people have come to expect far better from you.  Ed not included, obviously.

James,, Just ask him, he does not care where he plays as long as he gets the money that he thinks he deserves.

And anyway, I was thinking about Halak asking for a trade when I posted about the door hitting him in the ass on his way out . But it goes for anyone who does not appreciate where they are in life.

105. ed lopaz says:

It takes experience to make a statement like that.

And that, Ian, is what sets you apart on this site.

management experience.

106. HabFanSince72 says:

It takes experience to make a statement like that.

And poor grammar.

Paul!  I kind of like that grammar.!!!

Good for my ego. I am going out to hire an agent right away!

108. ProHabs says:

Ian,you are a very knowledgeable poster. He have alot of knowledge of the junior game, AHL game and NHL. I was wondering if you ever worked for the Habs or been apart of hockey management in your past.

ProHabs-Yes

I went to e-mail you, but you have no contact on your site profile.

110. ProHabs says:

Interesting, care to provide any details.

111. ProHabs says:

I will go post my Email. I would be interested to hear what you did. Thanks.

112. habaddict_andy says:

If there is such thing we all would be working in school dedicating ourselfs to the future in teaching kids for peanuts.  Come on Ian, let’s be a bit realistic.

113. pic1983 says:

“James,, Just ask him, he does not care where he plays as long as he gets the money that he thinks he deserves”

can i get a quote? or a source?

E-mail came back. Contact my e-mail — click on my pic, click on contact at the top.

115. DAVE. N says:

Are we still on this, Ian?   The kid is an RFA…he plays where his contract tells him to, or he doesn’t. Should he balk, he gets sent to the minors, or traded..still as an RFA, he has no say on the contract offered. The Habs are showing respect to the kid by taking the time to consider an extended term contract,and his stats don’t warrant too much, to be honest.. He is only 1  out of a team..no more no less….this is why the Salary cap was put in place; to create a TEAM effort on behalf of the salary paying owners…dunno about anyone else on this site, but the boss speaks and we listen..if not happy, we have the option to say no and find the nearest exit.

Kinda tired of the crap with the tenders..all about money…k. I get it…but lets put Ramos in with Auld backup if the prima donna and his agent think they are holding an organization of the caliber of the Montreal Canadiens hostage. Frustrating to see this every day, when its not far from training camp.

116. aemarchand11 says:

Carey Price’s personality is much different from somebody like Pk Subban. Price spends his summers riding horses and staying away from the big cities until training camp begins. They have exchanged financial requests, but havent come to a deal yet. I imagine that once he comes back in the city that he will have a contract signed and will be locked up.

Just because he still isnt signed doesnt mean he doesnt want to be here.

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

117. ed lopaz says:

right on, Ian!!

Price should fire his agent – he has received terrible advice this summer.

Terrible!!

YA, and like usual the bias Toronto CBC gets the Marlee’s 7 times.!

119. Bill J says:

I count 4 Bulldog games in your list.

120. otter649 says:

CBC sports filler to replace the Raptor games that are going to the new Sportsnet 1 station……..

121. Dintrox says:

CBC will be broadcasting 10 AHL games this season. The Bulldogs play 3 times.

Binghamton at Toronto (Oct. 17, 1 p.m. ET).

Oklahoma City at Hamilton (Oct. 24, 1 p.m. ET).

Hamilton at Toronto (Nov. 21, 1 p.m. ET).

Toronto at Hamilton (Dec. 12, 1 p.m. ET).

Toronto at Abbotsford (Jan. 16, 2011, 2 p.m. ET).

Abbotsford at Manitoba (Jan. 23, 2011, 1 p.m. ET).

Manitoba at Toronto (Feb. 27, 2011, 1 p.m. ET).

Hamilton at Toronto (March 6, 2011, 1 p.m. ET).

Abbotsford at Manitoba (March 27, 2011, 1 p.m. ET).

Manitoba at Toronto (April 3, 2011, 1 p.m. ET).

December 4, 2009 – Elmer Lach’s jersey took its rightful place with the Rocket’s in the rafters.

122. andrewberkshire says:

Took me awhile to get used to the passing, but once you get the hang of it, it’s way more accurate and much more intuitive than any other incarnation. The only thing I don’t like about NHL games is how much they rely on deking. It’s completely unrealistic to the NHL, and I hate the controls for it as well. Give me the classic controls anyday, I hate using the right analog stick.

123. K-hab25 says:

Ya thats why I switch it to classic control and auto line changes. Shooting with the analog stick sucks.

124. andrewberkshire says:

Same here, I always switch to classic controls.

125. MTLForever says:

I love the hitting in nhl11, I keep getting Chara on my ultimate team and he just destroys everyone. The passing you get used to, just have to hold it down longer than usual.

How does everyone feel about the new faceoffs

126. ooder says:

the one thing i didn’t like about nhl 11 is the passing.

very slow and a tad non responsive at times.

but that;s what i said about nhl 10 when i was playing 09 ;p

——————

88 is the new 23

127. SeriousFan09 says:

09 was my favourite for scoring, had this sweet little spot in the right faceoff circle with Cammy after I put the 09-10 team together on it, 51-goal season, first and last time I had a guy win a scoring trophy.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

128. scrowe21 says:

You can make harder passes by holding the trigger longer, and for the people complaining about the broken sticks..there will be an option to adjust how often it happens, just like you can adjust everything else in the game……cant wait for the real game so I can speed it up a bit…and lower the hitting power.

Although the manuel hip checks are awesome when they flip over you.

——–If you play nhl10 for xbox360 add me – scrowe21

Thanks Nick!

130. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

super awesome

131. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

super awesome

132. Rob says:

you’re right.  that was awesome.  thanks for sharing

133. Bugs says:

G-Love, it is, I guess.

Questionable but unactionable, it’s

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

134. HabsFanInTampa says:

That was great, thanks for sharing the clip.

135. RC-51 says:

You beat me to it, Ian!

The CBC continues to milk the suckers in Toronto that feel they live in Hockey world. The hockey product being delivered to Toronto is as poor as their towns winning record.

137. SeriousFan09 says:

Nothing like broadcasting the accomplishments of two basement hockey teams in Toronto, I guess they’re testing out whether or not a second NHL team in Toronto is marketable ;)

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

138. ProHabs says:

Please don’t ever post that picture again. I know that 49% of HIO people are female (ya right) but the rest of us don’t need to see that.

139. aemarchand11 says:

Insecure much? Who cares, if they were naked it would be different.

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

140. K-hab25 says:

I posted this a week ago when another know nothing, claimed Price was fat. Look at the size of the boys legs, his quads are freaking huge.

141. LA Loyalist says:

It’s the fat between the ears I’m worried about. His head needs to be in shape.

No one is complaining about his physical conditioning or raw talent (to my knowledge at this point in time).

It’s mental toughness, competitiveness, focus, commitment, the ability to adjust to game circumstances — yes a lot of this comes from maturity.

But his time to mature has pretty much expired, given that we’ve painted ourselves into a corner by naming Price as the Chosen One, and shipping out anyone who might possibly compete with him… he had better come through.

Personally, I’m giving him 20 games to convince the team he’s the real deal. After that it’s torches and pitchforks for M. Gauthier et cie.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

142. Danno says:

Super duper awesome!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

143. HabFanSince72 says:

Teen Ranch was creepy.

144. Pucker Up says:

I don’t know if it was creepy, but the thought of Hall Gill trying to squeeze into one of those bunk beds was just plain weird.

145. fun police says:

spent years going there for hockey camp, it was anything but creepy.  an on-site rink is pretty hard to beat.

146. mike g says:

Here’s a nice video of Cammy and Zetterberg using SE16 sticks from Easton…

Look at those top-corners….PING!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

147. shiram says:

Is there a reason why Cammy kneel after his shot??

148. Mark C says:

Some sad news. While attending a Boston Red Sox game last night, 21 year old Montreal man fell off a stairwell. He has serious, but “recoverable” injuries, including bleeding in his brain.

149. habstrinifan says:

Heard news on Team 990 and that Red Sox officials paid him a hospital visit. Good luck to him. And good on Red sox.

Damb that American BEER!!

It makes a Quebecer think he can fly!

151. SeriousFan09 says:

Gill probably said “NO ****ing way we’re going back there.” Given his playoff performance, the club could hardly argue.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

152. WarHero says:

Velocity. Brett Hull was the master at it :)

————————————————————————

153. Corio says:

accuracy mostly..

154. JIMVINNY says:

It certainly helps him get more velocity on the shot, particularly because of the fact that since he isn’t the tallest guy, he has to use a shorter stick.  Shorter sticks usually = less velocity, putting more into the shot by going to one knee helps him counteract that.

155. shiram says:

I can see how a longer stick would have more speed/power, so i guess going to his knee could lengthen his shot arc and speed.

Thank you for the answer, i am a relatively new hockey fan, and trying to learn as much as i can.

156. JIMVINNY says:

To be honest, I think it has more to do with how much effort he puts into the shot, and how doing so causes him to lose balance.  He’s done it so many times that it looks natural now, but probably only because he knows how his body is going to react to trying to shoot that hard.

I know from personal experience that trying to shoot hard can cause you to lose your balance, he’s just figured out how to deal with the loss of balance he experiences.

157. ooder says:

anyone try out the nhl11 demo?

the hitting is really cool in that game

——————

88 is the new 23

158. SeriousFan09 says:

Sticking with NHL 10, didn’t like the demo locking manual passing on.

I like realism, but at a certain point the game becomes too much of a chore if they add too much in.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

159. ESundy36 says:

In three of those one period games I broke an average of 9 sticks. I am already over that feature unless they have a patch in the first update to correct it or at least make it more bearable for the user.

160. scrowe21 says:

Although the manuel hip checks are awesome when they flip over you.

——–If you play nhl10 for xbox360 add me – scrowe21

161. ooder says:

really? i dunno my sticks have been pretty solid and it was actually pretty realisitc.

i am keeping in mind that it’s a demo and patches usually come out to fix little issues

——————

88 is the new 23

162. otter649 says:

Considering Price/Habs stalemate over a contract. I’ve read/heard Price is doing rodeo this summer but if Price had a signed contract he would not be allowed to rodeo but since does not have a signed contract he can particpate in rodeo so once the rodeo season is over for Price the contract will be signed between The Habs & Price and life will go on……..

163. JIMVINNY says:

He participated in only one event, the team roping competition.  It was acknowledged that this was the only event his NHL club would allow him to take part in, so I would think he must have cleared it with the Habs first.

164. RGM says:

They are not at a stalemate, they are negotiating and progressing towards a contract.

The roping event was cleared by the NHL/Canadiens – if you’d read the article about Price doing rodeo this information would have been known.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

165. JIMVINNY says:

THe speed is what bugs me most about the demo.  I don’t know anyone that doesn’t speed the game up to near max settings.  It’s so tedious otherwise.

166. ooder says:

i am really looking forward to the game

——————