Update: Habs outgrow Teen Ranch

• Food for thought: Who should be the Canadiens’ next captain?

From Pat Hickey: The Canadiens won’t be heading back to Teen
Ranch in Ontario to do a little bonding at the end of training camp. This
fall, they’re heading to Clermont, in the Charlevoix region – just a hop, step
and jump from the casino in Malbaie.

The Habs will head
there after their final exhibition against the Islanders on Oct. 2 at
Le Colisée in Quebec. They will spend four days practising in Clermont
before flying to Toronto for their season opener on Oct. 7.

1. Psycho29 says:

Oh crap, my meds just wore off…What the heck did I post????  :-)

2. K-hab25 says:

Ooops!! I messed up. In NOV/DEC Price actually started 19 games , with a 2.42 GAA and a .923%, going 8-8-3. The team scored 43 goals, while Price allowed 46. Halak started 18 in DEC/MAR, with a 2.44 GAA and a .926%, going 12-5-1. He allowed 44 goals, while the team scored 58 goals. So actually Price allowed 2 more goals, in 1 more game and the team scored 15 goals more for Halak, in 1 less game. LMAO Who said pro sports are fair? :-)

3. RiverviewCanadien says:

I agree, there will be those who feel the contract is crap no matter the structure. I don’t think you are too far off, I have similar thoughts but feel it will be 3 years at 2.5/2.5/3, which really is not a bad contract IMHO.

4. The Cat says:

I dont think it will, its not like itll be a shocker.

5. LA Loyalist says:

What nonsense? This is fun! (for August, anyway)

Cary Price will not be a problem if he stops the freaking puck.

Why is this so hard for you fanboys to understand? He’s not a pop star lip synching. He’s got to STOP THE PUCK, especially at important points in the game (I won’t insult you by telling you what they are).

Price hasn’t done SQUAT yet. He MAY, I’m not saying he won’t. I HOPE he does.

We’ll find out before Christmas, I’ll tell you that.

When there is snow on the ground on the Rue St. Jacques we’ll at least have some definitive idea as to whether or not Gauthier and Gainey were wrong or not.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

6. andrewberkshire says:

My point was that I think the same malcontents will complain no matter what the contract that’s signed will be.

I think that the holdup is that the Price camp likely wants a 1 year deal so he can improve his earning power as the starter next year, while Gauthier is attempting to be shrewd and trying to get a 3+ year deal while Price has little bargaining power. I’m guessing it’ll end up as a 2 year deal worth somewhere in the range of 1.8-2.2 million per year, but I don’t have a clue if I’m correct or not. Pure speculation.

7. otter649 says:

When Price signs Habs Inside/Out might set a record for comments pro/con on the $ value & term of the contract based on one topic…………

8. le_vrai_jacques says:

Referring to the diagram, what is the purpose of the 2 short lines 4 feet from the goal line?

9. K-hab25 says:

The fact you call a 23 year old goalie a “flame out”, tells me you already passed judgement on the kid. I mean really, mid november, Halaks #’s were awful in mid NOV and Price had his 2 best months in NOV and DEC last year. By your logic Halak should’ve been run out of town, before he took off in mid DEC. He was a below average goalie until mid DEC afterall, or are these just the Price rules. You know like being 23 is “no longer young”, a .912 sv% is “bad”, winning 60 games, a playoff series and all star start by the time he’s 22, is being a “flame out.”

10. Habsforlife 1959 says:

The best thing to end all this NONSENSE is for Carey Price to sit out this entire season. Lets see were the habs would finish this season without Price in nets. I bet they would want BIG changes in Montreal if that had to happen? It sure would put an end to the Halak/Price for good. Carey Price is not the problem like a few here thinks he is. Prediction would be a totally different view if this would take place cause they would be chanting for him to come back instead of bashing and booing Price every chance they could get.

SEE YOU NEXT YEAR CAREY!!!! CAREY WINS!!! CAREY WINS!!! CAREY WINS!!! CAREY WINS!!!

Just image what would be taken place if Carey Price sits???????????UPROARS ON THE HORIZEN??????

11. RiverviewCanadien says:

They SHOULD be grateful to have that God-given talent and be touted so highly, paid millions of dollars playing a (FRANKING) sport! While thousands of children die each day of starvation, malnutrition, etc.

Price Basher rhetoric? Come on suck it up a little and get a grip. These guys tend to be primadonnas all the time…millions of dollars to play a sport they love, yeah I feel so bad for the decisions they have to make…get real.

12. JD_ says:

* Just caught this headline on nhl.com, “In Florida, Tallon sees similar situation as Chicago”. I didn’t bother readin’ the story and can therefore only surmise the new GM expects to sign Vokoun to a five-year, $50 million contract, screw up the Panther’s RFA portfolio next June, and then get shown the door. Man, you’d think the guy would already have learned his lesson.

* An excerpt from Burkie’s op-ed piece on NHLers participatin’ in international competition, “And once you make that effort and get out there, you find the game [hockey] is elusive…You can skate 50 times and still be stumbling around, let alone handling a puck.” Well, the message is clear: Burkie’s Mopey Loafs intend to start draftin’ and tradin’ for players that have skated more than 50 times. Should be firin’ off a memo to his scoutin’ staff any minute now.

* One of the options being examined at the NHL’s R&D camp is a variety of penalties for players who are repeatedly tossed from the faceoff circle. I’d say this is the real reason Rob Brind’Amour decided to retire at the end of last season except for the fact that not one linesman in the league had the balls to toss the ol’ faceoff cheat outta the circle over the past two, very minusy seasons. This blind eye approach to reffin’ vets who compensate for their weary bones through increasingly dirty play is generally known as the Messier Protocol.

* Carey Price hasn’t signed. In other news, starlet Pamela Anderson has announced plans to drop her actin’ career. In a similar development, retired hockey great Darryl Sittler has let it be known he will be returnin’ his Stanley Cup ring.

* Another interestin’ concept being studied by the league is the addition of a yellow line three inches inside the goal line, as seen in this diagram, which would ostensibly render the goal verification process easier; i.e., if in the video review, the puck is seen to be touchin’ the yellow line, it has effectively crossed the goal line. There is, however, some concern in the Philadelphia organization that goaltender Michael Leighton’s penchant for wettin’ the bed while in nets could lead to some confusion.

* The G-Love video clip that’s been posted on here a few times is an interestin’ watch. PK’s turnin’ into a monster. Hope he’s not juicin’. Cammy’s a smoothy who always says the right thing and cringes when Gomer doesn’t. Ah, Gomer, you can see the seethin’ competitiveness simmerin’ beneath the surface. Love it. Season started, yet?

13. RiverviewCanadien says:

I agree. Price will be paid alot less and our Habs are a better team than the Blues. That is a no brainer…

14. RiverviewCanadien says:

it is do not due

15. LA Loyalist says:

No. I will be cheering for him and I hope he does great. BUT it’s not me he has to win over, it’s his team mates.

If he chokes up fur ball soft goals like he has the past couple of years it won’t be pretty in Montreal.

I’ve been pretty clear in my posts that I don’t even blame Price that he’s been a flame-out so far. I blame Gainey for rushing him when he obviously wasn’t ready. And trust me I was planning the parade the day we hired Gainey. I was wrong.

Maybe he’s the next Dryden. I hope so. But I’m afraid he’s the next Wickenheiser.

A team’s collective pschological makeup is highly dependent on its goalie.

Let’s talk in mid-November. I’ll happily buy you a beer if I’m wrong, but I don’t see him having a very long window to put his stamp on this team.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

16. RiverviewCanadien says:

I don’t think it will be a horrible contract, they really can’t pay him that much, so really, how bad could it be?

Andrew, in your opinion, what is the hold up, and what are your thoughts on the contract that will emerge in the next 2 weeks…how do you think it will be structured?

17. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Aside from Rob Brown, maybe

18. Chuck says:

That’s the double-edged sword of being a goalie: you can play as well as the next guy, but not be rewarded for it in the wins column. It’s like a pitcher that tosses 8 innings of shutout ball, but leaves the game only to watch the next guy give up the winning run. Though in that scenario, no one goes around saying that your starting pitching sucked.

19. topher5468 says:

Getting psyched for the season to start Andrew, I hope Price signs soon. The less distractions, the better. I think Price can do the job.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

20. K-hab25 says:

Stats don’t matter to them, only wins and losses and that only started this year after Halak won more games. Speaking of stats I did a comparison of the 2 months they played there most games in and the GF differential was like you said. In the 18 games Price played he had 46 GA, Halak in 18 games had 44 GA, the team scored 43 GF in Prices starts, but 58 in Halaks starts. Needless to say Halak had a better record, 12-5-1, compared to 8-8-2 for Price. Funny how your teammate gets 15 more GF than you, in the same amount of games, wins more often. I think Price will get more starts and victories than Halak this year though. There back up is much better than ours, so I see Halak getting 50 starts or so. I think Price will get 60 or so. Then again injuries could play a major role in how either of them do. Lets just hope it’s there injuries and not ours.

21. Favorite Son says:

This was probably already posted, but for those who didn’t see: interview with Cammi, Gomez and PK. Pretty cool stuff. Also Boudreau is talking sh*t still. Scroll down for the interview.

22. HFX-HabFan says:

So then, by that logic…goaltending is more expendable (if it’s easier to acquire one goalie over six forwards), making it…not as important?  I think you’re agreeing to what I originally pointed out then.

It is more expendable.  The market in the last decade has proved it: goalies never fetch a huge return in trades (IE- the outcry that we supposedly didn’t get enough for Halak, or even go back further to the Roy trade), and top-flight forwards (rentals or not) require much more significant returns.

23. Chuck says:

If that’s the case, then why didn’t they go the easy route and get the one great goalie? Philly’s been looking for that guy since the days of Hextall.

24. SeriousFan09 says:

Wow, bit OT before I go out for a bit but did I stir up a hornet’s nest at Hockey’s Future, there is a cult dedicated to Jordan Staal, some of them convinced he’s going to become a 40 goal scorer. Seriously, they do know how few people hit that mark and all of them have been goal scoring aces since they were 9 years old right?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

25. Chuck says:

I still believe that Price’s cost-per-win will be lower that Halak’s this season. That should give them something to chew on.  :)

26. Chuck says:

Absolutely… many Hab fans that go to see the ‘Dogs wear the CH. You won’t be out of place.

I know I’ve been hard on you PT as of late, maybe even a bit of an ass, but this is an excellent reply to a post so I will not just commend you but also reply in kind.

Unfortunately the Habs after ’79 collapsed as an organization. NYI and EDM-Oil took the reins. The Habs had a spark with Penney and then came the Roy years, the trade and the demise. No wonder that goaltending is so leaned upon in Montreal.

I agree that the team needs to get away from that and play better hockey, not put everything or if not that then so much on the shoulders of the netminder.

28. K-hab25 says:

I’m loking foward to it aswell. I mean how great It’ll be to here the whiners and complainers, due what they due best. I have a feeling the Desjardins trade was just them warming up for the main event. :-)

29. Chuck Chuck Goose says:

Weird question……I live in Toronto and have never been to a Bulldogs vs. Marlies game at Ricoh, but I hope to go several times this season.

Is it common and/or acceptable practice to wear a Habs jersey to a Bulldogs game?  I have a beautiful new #13 sweater I’m dying to try out, and since I’m being realistic about not being able to get tickets for when our boys come to the ACC, I figured it’d be the next best thing =)

30. TripleX says:

Chicago and Philadelphia are both blessed with an abundance of world class top six forwards.  Most teams are not so lucky and require good goaltending to compensate.  The Habs are most definitely in the group that needs quality goaltending to be competitive.

You could look at the two Stanley Cup finalists and conclude that goaltending is not that important.  That may be true if you have the offensive talent to overcome mediocre goaltending.  But it is much easier to acquire ONE great goalie than it is to acquire SIX top forwards.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

31. T-roy West says:

If it’s all about term and Price’s agent is trying to  sneak in a bit extra here and there like you have stated then why is his agent looking for a shorter term then the Canadiens are willing to give? It was reported that they weren’t close in the term of the contract. Price agent wanting short and management wanting longer.

32. mike g says:

Somehow, this popped up in my head….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

33. K-hab25 says:

‘He’s got 20 games, thats it” LMAO Who are you? Exactly!! You don’t make any decisions for the team or work for them in any capacity. So you don’t get to say, “20 games, thats it.” Unless of course you are referring to giving him 20 games to get going, before you pass judgement, but we both know thats BS, because you already passed judgement on him a long time ago.

34. Chuck says:

To tell you the truth Andrew, I’m kind of looking forward to it.

35. RGM says:

That’s a virtual guarantee.

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

36. LA Loyalist says:

Like Super-Mario, Rejean Houle and Roy? Ha! Just kidding. it still hurts, though, that one.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

37. Propwash says:

No kidding.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

It’s the other way around. Show me a good goaltender and I’ll show you a good coach and possibly a good GM.

Roy made Jacques Demers look good, not the other way around.

It doesn’t lessen the impact a good coach has on a team or a game that is riding a hot hand in nets however, but perception, to many, is reality.

39. andrewberkshire says:

I can’t wait until Price signs and this site implodes, screaming about how bad the deal is.

40. andrewberkshire says:

Peter Laviolette, great coach. Where’s his great goalie? Joel Quennville, same thing. Barry Trotz, same thing.

41. LA Loyalist says:

“respect” is kind of abstract and can be argued all day.

How about Price’s PERFORMANCE – entirely quantifiable and entirely unimpressive TO DATE.

He’s got 20 games. That’s it.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

42. HFX-HabFan says:

I think this year’s finals proved that good coaching can overcome mediocre to average at best goaltending.

43. HFX-HabFan says:

I wasn’t suggesting anything along those lines- my post didn’t contain anything about either Price or Auld.  I was simply pointing out that goaltenders don’t always play as key a role as we often think.  They’re important, yes, but not as much we might lead ourselves to believe.

I think the Oilers of the 1980s would have found ways to win some Cups with a goalie other than Fuhr or Moog.  Same goes for the early ’90s Penguins, they seemed to be successful whether it was Barrasso, Wregget or Pietrangelo between the pipes.

44. HabFab says:

Since this will allow millions in Toronto to actually see some hockey this season…OK.

45. Jonnyboy says:

Umm did you see which teams made the finals?

46. The Cat says:

Thats cause the market dictates it, it doesnt make the role any less important. Show me a good coach, a good GM and Ill show you a good goaltender.

You are aware that you’re posting on the Habs Inside/Out web site.

It’s an attempt to improve the quality of hockey available on TV for viewers in the Greater Toronto Region.

49. PrimeTime says:

Way too emphasis is put on the goalie in MTL. They are never as good or as bad as the fans believe. If the goalie has to be the backbone and team “best player” to win then it isn’t much of a team. The goalie is just another player that has to make a contribution as much as a top 6 F or top 4 D. No more and no less. If the majority of these 11 lead players fail the team loses. This is what a coach sees and many of the MTL fans who grew up with Roy as their “hero” do not.

…………..”People build teams in certain ways. I’ve always traded for futures – not pasts.” – Sam Pollock

The reason we are Hab fans http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1476

50. SeriousFan09 says:

You think I like what’s going on? I’m just saying all these teams have serious issues if they can’t resolve this RFA issues, no Stewart and Mueller? Colorado’s back in lottery positon pretty quick. Ryan’s the only impact player from the ANA draft in years, he goes, they’re good and screwed and have to get to work rebuilding their offence further.

Key RFAs are holding out for a little bit extra like they always do, Price is a different case but his agent is just trying to work out the best deal in the interest of his client, without starting a media war on it I would add.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

51. TripleX says:

Are you suggesting the chances of a win are the same if Auld or Price is in goal?  Then I guess we have no worries.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

52. SeriousFan09 says:

Fans should think about public relations the next time they get loaded, put on black face and boo the US national anthem about whose really the bad apple at the Bell Centre.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

53. observer says:

CBC announces deal to televise 10 games involving Canadian NHL teams farm teams.        —       http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2010/08/19/sp-cbc-ahl-deal.html

54. HFX-HabFan says:

Sure…that’s why only four goalies have won the league’s MVP award in the last fifty years, and why currently only two of the twenty highest-paid players in the league are goalies.

55. TripleX says:

None of those players are expected to play 60 minutes per game over a minimum of 55 games.  A starting goalie can’t realistically be compared to any other roster player in terms of impact on the teams chances of winning or losing.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

56. observer says:

Re: Guy Lafleur topic below. A great video to learn from.     — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

57. ed lopaz says:

when you stand alone in front of 21,273, and tens of thousands more on T.V.

yes, you should be concerned about Public Relations.

58. ed lopaz says:

thanks for the post.

When you say – “ideal? No”.

That’s precisely what I was saying.

Its NOT IDEAL.

Ideal would have been the following:

trade Halak, a few days pass, sign Price.

that’s all i was saying.

That would have worked for everyone.

please do NOT compare price’s situation to any other player in the league.

he plays for the habs.

he plays goalie for the habs.

he did NOT play in 18/19 playoff games, and NONE of our 9 wins.

Price’s situation is completely unique.

His idiot agent should have understood that and pushed for a different outcome.

Or, should I blame price – like HIO blames Halak for his stupid agent.

Halak got 3.75 million.

We’ll see what Price gets.

59. RGM says:

Primadonna scum (some are probably alcoholics with mental issues) who put themselves before their team, the whole lot of them should even be grateful to be in the NHL. Don’t they recognize how bad this looks to the fans and how it hurts their public reputation? /Price-basher rhetoric

—————————————–
    Josh Gorges for Captain!

60. SeriousFan09 says:

RFA Watch 2010:

Nicklas Bergfors: Key plank of the Kovalchuk trade to NJ for ATL, he will have to one of the offensive forces for ATL to win this season.

Bryan Little: A year removed from a 30-goal outburst in ATL, Little could offer another cheap source of scoring for a cash-strapped ATL team facing a loss of revenue with the departure of their superstar Kovalchuk.

Bobby Ryan: Potentially the best power forward to hit the NHL in years and the part of the youth trio of that he forms with Getzlaf and Perry for an explosive scoring unit.

Chris Stewart: One of the standouts of the surprising Colorado Avalanche, at 22 with 28G, 36A last season, he could be a big part of the youth revival in Colorado as they seek to reclaim their old status as a League powerhouse.

Peter Mueller: The man coming back in the Wolski trade between Phoenix and Colorado, Mueller took to his new environment with enthusiasm until injuries sidelined him from playoff participation, but the abilities that made him a high first round selection were in evidence.

Marc Staal: A very solid defensive defencemen for NYR, superior to all their overpaid UFA signings and still waiting on a contract from Mad Man Sather.

Steve Downie: A key part of Tampa’s return to an offensive force, this scumbag has had notable success and racks up the PIMs in TB after a breakout 09-10 season. Without a contract, despite Tampa needing all the assets they can retain.

Patric Hornqvist: A breakout 30-goal season with Nashville, he’s one of a few offensive lights they have after NSH successfully flipped this 7th-round pick into an offensive scorer, still no deal.

James Neal: Another emerging power forward, James Neal has 51 goals in his first two NHL seasons and and is favoured to be a key plank in the offence of a cash-strapped Dallas club that’s on the auction block.

9 high-profile RFAs who are still not signed with their clubs. This is all about term folks and Price’s agent trying to sneak in a bit extra here and there like all these guys have their agents doing. Everyone gets told by their agent they’ll be signed, don’t worry I’m just trying to get you a bit extra. Ideal? No but that’s how the game is played.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

61. habs-hampton says:

“The Marlies are featured in seven games this season, with Hamilton and Manitoba each playing four times.”

Figures, twice as many Leafs as Habs.  Yup, that’s CBC allright!!

62. oshawahabsfan says:

Nope, that’s pretty bang on. Chris Pronger’s wife traded him from Edmonton haha

63. Top Corner says:

“Carey Price has not shown any return on the respect he has been given”

WOW

Kind of like the respect from HABS fans such as yourself ….

64. SeriousFan09 says:

Burke blowing his own horn and overselling his accomplishments? Nah…

Took a stroke of genius to arrive to a team that had Scott Niedermayer’s brother on it and sign him when he left a mini-dynasty in NJ specifically because he wanted to play with his brother for a Cup.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

65. DAVE. N says:

Absolutely…he inherited a team..didn’t build it at all

66. HabFanSince72 says:

Apparently Brian Burke “likes to refer to his Cup-winning team in Anaheim as a model of how he likes to build a team”.

Except he didn’t build that team did he?

Or am I wrong? I always thought he took an already very good team and tweaked it a bit. And got a lot of help from the NHL during the playoffs.

67. slamtherimtim says:

kinda why im concerned , i think a 2 year deal would be a slap in the face

68. Aerobiz says:

Joey, I think the reason why people are so concerned is because from where we are sitting we have seen the Habs management invest a great deal of energy, trust, leway, patience, hope, protection and commitment in Carey Price. This team has moved mountains and contendable replacments in an effort to give make Price THE goalie for this franchise’s future.

What we’ve seen in return is a hockey player who felt it was okay to give the Patrick Roy salute in the playoffs two years ago not long after joking around on some tv show (Cabbie?) after a playoff loss.

And when he was given the opportunity to step up in the playoffs this year he took two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in the same game.

People are upset and concerned because, again from where we are sitting, Carey Price has not shown any return on the respect he has been given.

“The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something.”- Randy Pausch

69. Psycho29 says:

I agree 100%…Everyone should be enjoying their summer and not worrying about things out of our control. The team doesn’t seem to be worried, nor does Price and his agent. It will get done very soon.

There will be plenty of time for whining and complaining from October to June. (Hopefully June!!!)

70. LA Loyalist says:

is that supposed to be sarcasm?

71. Pucker Up says:

What, more Leaf games?

72. Bill J says:

Get to see Avstin 4 times this season – cool!

73. joeybarrie says:

Last exhibition game October 2nd. Thats in 44 days. I don’t understand why people are freaking out of the Price contract. No offer sheets have come in. No in the organization is worried. Nothing from the Price camp. Everyone knows AUGUST is the month everyone is on vacation. Why are we so stressed about this. They will come back from vacation, they will meet in the middle, and he will sign on the dotted line. He will come to camp as scheduled and as normal and it will be done…

Why do we assume he doesn’t want to play here, why do we assume the worst. ALSO why are we so stupid as to call him fat??? You just confirm yourself as stupid… No news is GOOD news. But then again if the world isn’t crashing over a mole hill then obviously people wouldn’t be satisfied.

Relax, have yourself a boat drink, sit down and smell some flowers. He will sign and be our goalie. AND HE WILL DO GREAT. But never as great as we KNOW Halak WOULD have been if he had of stayed a HAB… Kinda like Souray and Ryder…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…