Update: Habs face Caps in first round

An early but probably definitive look at Habs-Capitals matchup by Robert Lefebvre

A day off for the Canadiens following their 4-3 overtime loss Saturday night to the Toronto Maple Leafs, a defeat that sat lightly given that the point it earned finally guaranteed the Habs their spot in the postseason.

Philadelphia’s shootout win over the Rangers relegates the Canadiens to eighth place.

They will face the Washington Capitals, featuring Alexander Ovechkin, Alexander Semin, José Theodore and more. It will be the first time in the Canadiens’ 142-game NHL playoff series history that they’ll take on the Capitals.

The Canadiens return to practice Monday morning in Brossard, their Eastern Conference quarterfinal series scheduled to begin on the road this Thursday at the Verizon Centre.

Stay tuned for more details in the days ahead. Lots to come from Monday’s practice.

1. SmartDog says:

Yeah, there are a lot of stars actually… Metro, Gorges… Darche… amazing since we’e not actually THAT good. LOL

Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

For once, I agree with you.

3. Jbird says:

See! we did not have anything to worry about!  😉

4. crabvader says:

We predict pretty similarly lol.

5. Iceberg84 says:

San Jose, Chicago, Vancouver, Detroit. I know I know, not very bold picks, but the first round doesn’t look too exciting in the west. LA/Van and PHO/DET could be exciting, but if Chicago or San Jose lose in the first round, heads will roll in their respective cities.

6. SeriousFan09 says:

Colorado in 6-7, San Jose’s very reliable for choking.

Chicago in 6, goaltending will cost them at least two but Toews will lead his crew to victory.

Canucks over Kings, Kings lack playoff experience, Sedins are going to power the team through in 6 or 7.

Detroit in 5-6, massive playoff experience over an opposing team that got to where they are through a ridiculous # of shootout wins.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

7. Psycho29 says:

Don’t remind me!!!!!

‘Somebody please turn on the lights so the cockroach Maple Leaf fans will scatter’

8. crabvader says:

Colorado defeats the infamous Sharks. 6 games.

Chicago defeats Nashville in 5.

Van takes it in 7.

Detroit takes it in 6.

9. crabvader says:

Then who belongs in the playoffs over them?

Cause everyone beneath them aren’t deserving of even hitting the links.

10. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Western Conference playoff match ups are all confirmed:

San Jose vs. Colorado

Chicago vs. Nashville

Vancouver vs. Los Angeles

Phoenix vs. Detroit

What are your picks?

11. crabvader says:

I nominate Gio for Habs MVP.

Pleks COULD
    be up there but he really let up since the Olympic break. He had great
    numbers this year and I want him back for 20 more but Gio is a guy who
    never gives up. When you think he’s invisible one game, he comes back
    and scores.

He’s got the heart of a lion and he is fearless. He’s
    always in the dirty areas of the offensive zone and he is ALWAYS trying
    to get the puck.

What a warrior and I am proud to have him in a
    Habs uniform.

It’s fair to say that Halak could definitely be the
    MVP aswell…but I don’t know his motives yet. We’ll see when he starts
    making the big bucks.

12. habaholic68NJ says:

Hate Philly.  Go Rags.

13. SeriousFan09 says:

Red Wings pop the OT winner to deny the Blackhawks the Western Conference Title, Hawks will now face off against 7th seed Nashville, Detroit jumps to 5th-seed to face Phoenix, Canucks will spar with the LA Kings, Sharks draw the Avalanche.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

14. petrov14 says:

Whos gonna be the hero?

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

The Flyer and Rags. Two other teams that have no business being in the playoffs. Yawn.

16. linp says:

Imagine if we didn’t get that one point and the rangers won in OT.

17. petrov14 says:

We all knew that perfect storm was brewing.

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

18. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

LOL the game has gone to OT.

If the Habs wouldn’t have gone to OT yesterday, we would have been screwed – big time!

19. avatar_58 says:

Jesus H…..look how close we came to being out of it….

20. zozotheclown says:

Oh man, OT, winner goes to the playoffs, great hockey

Rob, Metro brought something to the table this year that is foreign to the K brothers and the group of floaters from last year. He has brought a lot heart and sole.!

22. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I am consent with your 3 stars list.

Gill and Gorges are unsung heroes though. They are very under rated.

23. petrov14 says:

Id hate to see this end in a shootout. Should be Playoff OT, lol.

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

24. zozotheclown says:

I’d rather play Buffalo, but since they’re playing Lalime theres a good chance NJ will get 2nd, and I’d much rather play Wsh over NJ, so go flyers I guess…

Imagine the Rangers win in OT, that one point we got would be so big…

25. EricInStL says:

you just know that Boucher is gonna let that softie in…

In Guy Boucher I trust.

26. SmartDog says:

I PVR’d the HNIC 30-minute pre-game episode.  It featured a long segment with Cammalleri about his practice habits and life in Montreal.  Great item.  And Cammi seems to be just an awesome guy.  100% what he seems – eats healthy, lives well, enjoys and respects the situation he’s in, the history, etc.

I know Cami has had trouble recovering his form from his injury but from what I hear that’s typical of that kind of injury.

So my HABS 3 STARS of REGULAR SEASON 2009-2010 are:

1. Plekanec

2. Cammalleri

3. Halak

(Honourable Mention: Brian Gionta)

Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

We can and we will take Washington in 6 games. So I am hoping for Philly. DAMN

We do not match up against N.J. at all. We are dead in 5

Buffalo is a split with a slight edge to Buffalo. Better coach and defence.

28. savethepuck says:

That 1 point we got last night is looking awful important, not surprised if this one ends up 2_1 Rangers in a shootout the way the King is playing

29. HNS says:

Go Flyers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here you go TIMO—Rangers and Philly–it is 1 to 0 Rangers

ATDHE.Net – Watch Free Live Sports TV

31. BJ says:

Flyers tie it up in the 3rd 12:00 min left

32. SeriousFan09 says:

1-1 Rags-Flyers, Lundqvist isn’t invincible.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Woot woot!!!

34. Ayan_SB says:

Philly scores. 1-1

35. The M says:

I havn’t seen any sustained success from the Habs this year

36. SmartDog says:

Bang-on except the clubs aren’t dusty.  They use them six months a year!

Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

37. habaholic68NJ says:

Just saw the highlights of last nights game as I was on a flight to San Fran.  Looks like we took it to the leafs but Halak was extremely weak on two of the three regulation time goals.  Halak has looked extremely tired since the back to back SO. He better get it together fast otherwise we should go with price by game two or three.  Martin should put his ego away and start rolling four lines as that has been our only formula for sustained success this year.

38. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Can you believe that it was MAB’s goal that sealed the deal for the Habs? WOW!

39. habs fan from stonyplain says:

nhl network here in canada

40. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

2nd period intermission right now.

Shots are 30-13 in favour of Philly but the King Lundqvist is saving the Rangers’ season!

41. Danno says:

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

42. WestHab says:

Dave, Just read your Annie and Jeff piece in the Calgary Herald.  Had no idea there was such a cult following.  My only concern is Jeff could be losing an affection gal like Annie over what I think is the worst beer brewed in this country even when ice cold.

I was at the Shamrock  aweek ago seeing Wild-T and my buddy asks for the worst beer in the house for me ( he was trying to get me mad).  The barmaid produces a Coors light.

43. Fig Newton says:

Final game of the season: Hapless Toronto Maple Leafs 4. Even more hapless Montreal Canadiens 3.

44. Vid says:

If New Jersey loses in OT/SO, they will still remain in 2nd place because they have more wins than Buffalo so whatever team that ends up 7th will play them as long as they get at least one point vs Buffalo.