Update from morning skate: Budaj in for Price, Blunden for Prust

Injuries have made a big dent in the Canadiens’ lineup, but coach Michel Therrien sounded a positive note after the team’s morning skate Thursday.

The Canadiens are on the brink of elimination in their best-of-seven playoff series against the Ottawa Senators, who hold a 3-1 lead.  The teams square off in Game 5 Thursday at 7 p.m. (CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690) at the Bell Centre.

“I’m not worried about competing,” Therrien said. “We’re going to compete like we did all series.

“I truly believe if we keep playing our game good things are going to happen to us.”

With Carey Price out for the remainder of the series with a lower-body injury, Peter Budaj will make his first career postseason start. Robert Mayer from the Hamilton Bulldogs will be the backup goalie.

“Every time we’ve called on Peter he was very good,” Therrien said. “So I have confidence in him.

“I believe our players compete hard in front of Carey and it’s the same thing in front of Peter,” the coach added. “I think guys respect (Budaj) a lot and they compete really hard for him. And it works both ways. Peter works really hard for his teammates.”

Many teams have managed to stage comebacks and that can help motivate you, Therrien said.

“But what’s important is the present,” he said. “What’s important is to ensure that our concentration is only on tonight’s game.”

Mike Blunden will be in the lineup in place of Brandon Prust, who is out with an upper-body injury. Canadiens prospect Michael Bournival was also at the team’s morning skate and will take part in the pregame warmup tonight.

Lars Eller skated again Thursday on the second sheet of ice in Brossard with Pierre Allard, the Canadiens’ strength and conditioning coach.

(Photo by Ryan Remiorz/The Canadian Press)

1. rocket5050 says:

Before the last game science predicted a habs win. Zoo Camel chose montreal to win. When offerred two hay handfuls, one by a bald rds announcer dressed in a habs sweater the camel chose baldies hay. Then the camel tried to eat the other guy’s hair, the fellow dressed in an ottawa sweater, but not thwe hay.

In Ottawa, a walrus was offerred two fish. One each by 2 sports announcers, each dressed in a different sweater. The walrus gobbled up both fish at the same time and took a time out to prepare his harem of walrus ladies for tonite’s performance.

At nhl headquarters in Toronto staff ate endangered speices called nhl integrity for dinner and les m@udit anglais chose ottawa to win.

2. frontenac1 says:

Hey DMex! Que passe Amigo!

3. frontenac1 says:

Best time I had in Ottawa was when I crossed the Bridge . The best Saloons were in Hull. Vas-y Les Boys!!!

4. Habitant in Surrey says:

Ed Willes; The Province: ‘Size and toughness trump speed and skill in today’s NHL’

…it’s apparently not only the Montreal Canadiens that are being forced to wake up and smell the coffee

“…The Canucks (insert. as well, Our Canadiens here), it seems, are trying to win with a game that’s no longer played in the NHL. This game is based on speed, skill, execution and precision, and while these are noble virtues, they’re no longer effective or necessary in the NHL. This is a sad development for the game, and if Gary Bettman and the league’s other stewards could stop counting their profits long enough to notice it, there’s a chance something might be done….”

5. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I like and respect Vigneault, but Ruff would be perfect for the Sedins and the Canucks

6. Habitant in Surrey says:

…have NEVER seen Sweden so dominated by Canada before

…dominant puck possession, but most surprising is Canada’s overall speed

…looking good for Sochi

…can You imagine P.K. added to Our back-end for Sochi ? :)

• Chris says:

To be fair, that was nowhere close to Sweden’s Olympic team.

Lundqvist in net makes a huge difference.

I can’t see any of the defencemen on that roster being selected for Sochi. Karlsson, Oduya, Ekman-Larsson, Kronwall, Edler, Hedman, Enstrom, Hjalmarsson…there is a long list of D that will be ahead of the guys that actually are playing this year.

And up front, the only forwards on this year’s Sweden roster likely to be in Sochi are Loui Eriksson and Gabriel Landeskog.

As much as people malign the WC because Canada doesn’t send its best, one look at Sweden’s roster shows just how decimated other countries often are as well. There might be two or three guys from Sweden’s A-team actually playing this year…it is really one of the weakest line-ups Sweden has sent in recent memory.

By contrast, Eric Staal, Steven Stamkos and Claude Giroux are pretty much shoo-ins for Team Canada. Taylor Hall, Jeff Skinner and Jordan Eberle all could be dark-horses if they get off to strong starts next season. Mike Smith is certainly a contender for one of the goaltending spots.

I think it really demonstrates that while Canada’s best are in tough against the best roster from any other country, our depth just blows everybody else away. We can field a D or E team that isn’t too far off our A team, whereas there is a massive drop-off for other countries after their A team.

7. habfaninottawa says:

Long time follower, first time poster.
    Win or lose, all I want to see tonight is a fairly and consistently officiate game, and for Les Boys to play a full 60 min game.
    It’s not fun living in Ottawa right now. I would almost rather lose to the Laffs than the Sens

8. savethepuck says:

To dondemarco, re his earlier post on negativity;

Very well said Don, the Habs are not just a hockey team to me either, they are a family thing. I lost my father 5 1/2 years ago, and I don’t think I watch a game today that doesn’t make me think of him. I’m with you on having pride for your hockey team, and I’m definitely with you on having little tolerance for the haters. You can’t come on here after a loss and intelligently discuss what happened because of all the BS you have to scroll thru. I take the negativity towards the team I love almost as personally as someone bashing a family member.
    I’m proud of my hockey team and haven’t given up on them yet.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

9. HankHardball says:

Somebody should tell Paul MacLean he can put lipstick on his pig, but it’s still a pig.

His moustache has to be the worst I’ve ever seen. If he doesn’t have some sort of lip deformity, what is he thinking?

10. Say Ash says:

The Gillis presser is cringe-worthy, eh?

• Loonie says:

Puts Grabner on waivers
      Trades Hodgson for Kassian
      Signs Schneider to a deal he didn’t earn
      Keeps Luongo on the team

It’s all Vigneault’s fault.

• Say Ash says:

But Gillis still has that bullet to fire, unless he’s gone first.

• Loonie says:

He does and he will.

The team is in decline and he’ll put it all on Vigneault so that the Luongo situation doesn’t stay on center stage.

Gillis sounds like he wants a physical team to boot. Enter Lindy Ruff, if he wants the job.

• johnnylarue says:

Silver lining for Vigneault is that his coaching acumen is established and respected. He’ll find work easily if he wants it.

• Loonie says:

If I were Vigneault I’d want out. No win situation in Vancouver.

• johnnylarue says:

Might be wise to save that bullet for himself…

Lynch mobs are forming as we speak. ;)

11. Habitant in Surrey says:

…2-0 Canada …Shenn

12. frontenac1 says:

Bodhissatva and Sweet Hands are in! Good things will happen amigos! Saludos!!

13. mark-ID says:

There are lots of people here in Ottawa being very cocky and giving Habs no credit for the good amount of hockey they did play during this series, also giving them no chance at a comeback. Here is hoping the Hockey Gods are listening and smiling :)

Not one fan here has even admitted that they got the bounces and were lucky to have won game 4 …….I’ve only have had Leafs and Bruins fans say anything about how we got jobbed last game. They are lucky the series isn’t tied 2-2.

• Habsrule1 says:

The people where I work have been pretty good about it. Some of them are actually nervous about tonight, even though I said no reason to be nervous for them. If they lose they get 2 more cracks at it. Truth be told, I think if the Habs win tonight, Saturday’s game will be insane. The sens do not want a game 7 in Montreal.

Go Habs Go!!

14. SteverenO says:

Bumped… what……… No comments?

The fans are “influenced” by others opinions and their memory and impressions are not always accurate. People see gallagher playing his heart out one very shift and taking a beating in front of the other teams net. They see DD getting knocked down and spending half his ice time on his keister.

here’s what I mean:

Player A: 55 minutes TOI (even strength)
    2 goal scored – 1 goal allowed by the team while on the ice

Player B; 59 minutes TOI (even strength)
    1 goal scored – 4 goals allowed by the team while on the ice

Player C 52 minutes TOI (even strength)
    2 goals scored – 1 goals allowed by the team while on the ice

Player D: 46 minutes TOI (even strength)
    1 goal scored – 7 goals allowed by the team while on the ice

Without reading below do you know who the players are?

WHo do you think has been our best/worst performer in the playoffs so far?

The 4 players refelected above are Gallagher, Ryder, Desharnais and Plekanec.

A is Desharnais. (obviously cannot be blamed inany way for the teams losing. He has been on for only two goals scored and we expect more offense form him but he has only been onfor one Goal Against.

B: is Plekanec: having a horrendous series: he has also been on for 3 od Sens Pp goals in only 14 minutes of short handed play.

C: Michael Ryder- see comments as for plyer a Desharnais:

D; Brendan Gallagher: Not having a good series at all. He has had scoring chances but he’s not converting and , Unfortunately the Sens are scoring most of their goals when he is on the ice.

Th eteam has scored only ONE even strength goal while GAlly-11 has been on the ice, and have scored two with DD.

The Sens have scored 7 times when Gally-11 has been on theice and only once when DD has been on the ice.

I “hear” everyone calling for DDs head, and everyone praising Gallagher.

Perception is a very intersting thing.

I am not saying that Gallagher is not a good player. I love his effort, character and intensity. what I am saying, and the numbers are indicating is that so far , in this series his efforts have not been rewarded with goals scored. Furthermore, despite his gallant efforts the Sens are filling our net with pucks while he is on the ice.

regards,

Steve O.

• Habsrule1 says:

Gallagher has 2 goals.

Go Habs Go!!

• Loonie says:

Things you don’t consider….ever.

1. The quality of opposition
      2. Where play started on the players’ shifts that resulted in your data.
      3. Who was actually responsible for the goals for and against.

Gallagher was on the ice for “x” amount of goals against, therefore he isn’t good defensively.

This is like Helen Keller discussing how the sky looks.

15. Bripro says:

With the last lyrical interlude offered, the Habs won (the day of game 2).
    I haven’t written since and they haven’t won.
    So in the spirit of self(Habs) preservation, I offer you the next instalment of “On the road to the cup”

Every time I watch games on PVR,
    MT’s lines on the ice looking better.
    The past is gone.
    Games went by like dusk to dawn.
    Isn’t that the way?
    Senators have their dues in life to pay.

Yhea’

Fans know nobody knows,
    When wins come and when wins go.
    I know all officials sin.
    Habs had to lose to know-oh how to win.

Our dynasty’s in books’ written pages,
    Iced all kinds, from fools to the greatest
    We know they’re due.
    All those rings… it’s up to you.

Cheer with me, cheer for the years.
    Cheer for our PK, and dismiss the fears.
    Yell it with me, if it’s just for today.
    Maybe tomorrow, the best game will take you away-ay-ay-ah.

….cause, we

Dream on, dream on, dream on,
    Dream ourselves a dream come true.

Dream on, dream on, dream on,
    Habs play until the dream comes true.

Dream on, push on, cheer on, scream on.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

16. HankHardball says:

Tony Maldinero says you can’t win if the other team has bigger goons.

If that’s what hockey has become, I want no part of it.

17. SteverenO says:

twilight hours wrote:

There’s no conspiracy, and there’s no need for make-up calls tonight. What there needs to be is competence. Competence from the referees, linesmen, and video replay officials. I fear this is too much to ask.
    **************************************************

I ask for the same competency from the coach. 30 out of 30 NHL coaches would have used Armstrong on a regular shift in the third period with a two goal lead. There is NO excuse for leaving your best defensive forward on the bench with a two goal lead in the third period. Some media “experts” are blaming MT for benching Chucky… that was NOT a bad mistake. He has been on the ice for 4 goals against this series in 44 minutes of ice time.

Benching Armsytrong while playing Pacioretty GAllagher, and Ryder regular shifts when protecting a two goal lead is incompetence.

Having Brendan Gallagher take a face off in the defensive zone ,on any side of the ice is NOT the fault of the referees.

regards,

Steve O.

• Loonie says:

Here’s why stats don’t tell the whole story.

You just called Colby Armstrong our best defensive forward.

• johnnylarue says:

I also stopped there.

Come on, Steve. Armstrong is a stand-up guy and by all accounts a great teammate, but the guy is a depth player. As in a fourth line alternate.

Doctor, we need some smelling salts over here…

18. Habitant in Surrey says:

…playing da Coach in HIO, following the first game when it was obvious We were not matching up physically on D, I said I would replace Bouillon and Diaz with Pateryn and Beaulieu

…inexperienced I know, though Pateryn is 24, They are both rugged with skills not very different from Bouillon and Diaz …the key is They are both larger and more robust, and would have withstood Ottawa’s physicality advantage better, and not wilt in the third period

…I still feel that extra size on the back-end would help tonight

…but, then again …I’m only a single-dad out here in LaLa Land, that like Timo, knows absolutely nothing about hockey :)

• Habfan10912 says:

What the heck, eh? If they hadn’t stopped playing for so long , I’d give it a shot but why risk an injury after such a long layoff. Not a crazy thought though.

We would have had to bail Beaulieu out of the clink first. :)

• Loonie says:

Pateryn was overwhelmed in two near meaningless regular season games. Throwing him into playoff action would have a stronger than normal likelihood of resulting in disaster.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I didn’t see Pateryn ‘overwhelmed’ Tom …He didn’t look out of place

…nothing spectacular, but Pateryn would not be as worn-down as either Diaz or Bouillon looks in the third

• Loonie says:

We disagree here. Pateryn was scared to be outside of the dots and was hesitant with the puck on his stick. He didn’t make himself a passing option in any of the three zones on the ice and couldn’t anticipate anything.

There’s a reason he was sent down after two games.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…first game jitters

• Loonie says:

Second game jitters too?

Jitters that Tinordi and Beaulieu didn’t have.

In my opinion Pateryn has no place with the organization long term anywhere other than Hamilton. Fringe player who will inevitably become the victim of a numbers game and apply his trade with another organization or remain in limbo into his thirties.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…time will tell :)

19. L Elle says:

Habs in 7! Miracles do happen.There is a crazy positive vibe in Montreal today. So, it ain’t over, until the fat CBC crew sinks!

20. donmarco says:

I think this will be my first, and only, post today. I just don’t think I can put up with the haters anymore, at least not today.

I went to my first game, as a 7 year old, in 1969. My Dad took me. He’s gone now. We played Detroit. I don’t remember the score, but I remember John Ferguson got into a fight. I don’t remember the fight, but I do remember that it was the first time in my life that I heard my Dad yell.

I was privileged to be a fan during the 70′s and saw some of the most amazing hockey I ever saw, even to this day. I was on the corner of Crescent and Ste Catherine on the night they won in 1986 (no rioting for me, but an extraordinary night to be a Habs fan). I remember almost every game in 1993 and loved every minute of it. And I suffered along with everyone else during those years where we were an irrelevant franchise, and it hurt really bad.
    I say this because being a Habs fan is so much more than being a fan of the home team. They are in my heart, they are in my soul, they are part of all of my values; they taught me that true devotion only comes during dark times, they taught me that loyalty and commitment will trump raw talent any day. And they made me proud. They always made me proud.
    If, and I do not believe it will be, tonight is the night we say goodbye to this team, I say to them with an honesty from deep in my soul, that I am proud of them, I believed in them, and I always will. And I’ll thank them for an astonishingly happy surprise this year. This team will rank in my top 10 for reasons far beyond their accomplishment on the ice.

That said, kick their f*cking asses tonight. I don’t want to go to the ballet on Saturday.

Go Habs Go.

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

• L Elle says:

My sentiments exactly!

+24!

• Habfan10912 says:

Don, like all of your post, this one hits the mark. I too have limited my time here as well and I know of several others who’ve kept a low profile as well. This team has exceeded my expectations and I cannot wait for the future. CHeers bud.

• donmarco says:

For me, and just for me, tonight will be a game I will watch with pleasure and pride. I hope for the best, I believe in them, but I also realize it’s not about wearing my lucky socks, or sitting on the right place on the couch, or any other superstition. It’s about watching a team I love, and always will, and just pulling for them with everything I have. It won’t make a difference, I know, but it will to me. It’s good to believe in something, isn’t it?

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

• D Mex says:

That it is.
          We must be of similar vintage – I saw my 1st live Habs game with my dad at the original Forum. Habs had just traded for Dick Duff – dad was not impressed. The Bruins were in town, a bad team at the time and perennial cellar dwellers.
          I had opportunities to see Béliveau, Richard, Talbot and Harper … don’t ask me how, but dad arranged for Geoffrion to visit our house and I got to shake his hand.
          It was different then – not sure if the CH penetrated deeper or what it was, but I feel that they are all so privileged to wear a Jersey that I cannot help but get emotional about.
          In hockey, there are 2 teams : the Habs, and ‘ de udder guys ‘ LOL. I will always love the Habs, hence, the signature block below.

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• donmarco says:

Born in 62, think may either be a tad older, or luckier than I was. I sadly never got to see the Rocket, but was so immersed in the 70′s teams that I could tell you anything about them. My Dad was at the Richard riot game, and I was at the Nordiques/Canadiens Good Friday massacre. Will not forget that anytime soon. It’s funny but I’ve worn the Habs logo in more countries than I can count, and inevitably someone will recognize it.

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

• D Mex says:

Born in the 50s. I saw the younger Richard – no memory of the Rocket (live), only those hokey commercials where he got 2 minutes for lookin’ so good from his good friend Red Storey.

So, tell me what you think of this :
            I bought Habs jerseys for both of my sons – too small now but they treasure them. Yet, I have never bought one, or felt worthy of wearing one, myself.
            Therapy required ? LOL :-)

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

• Fransaskois says:

Beyond jealous Donmarco. You’re very lucky to have seen all of this, wish I’d had the chance. Hopefully, the next couple of years will bring back some good memories and make some new ones!

• donmarco says:

Just remember, they don’t have to win it all to make you proud, this just makes you stronger. But when they do, my friend……………. you will see the city in ways you never saw it before. And mark my words, they will win again!

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

• APPLAUSE

facebook thumbs up!

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Habsrule1 says:

Wow…that was powerful. Thanks for posting. I feel the same way as much of what you described.

I have a 4 year old son that I have not yet taken to a Habs game but I am looking forward to it. I hope he feels like you do about our team when I take him and going forward. Watching the Habs makes me feel like a kid again. Not many things give me goose bumps, but the start of the game, and even moreso, the start of the Home Opener does exactly that. It’s tough when they struggle, but they can lose every single game of the season, and the goose bumps would be back the following year. and so on.

Let’s do this. I believe. But if you shall fall, I will still be here when you get up.

Go Habs Go!!

• donmarco says:

Equally powerful response. If I can say one thing, when you take your 4 year old, and maybe he’ll be 6 or even 7 by that day, remember what I felt when I was taken. I watched the game and I also watched him (you). If he sees it in you, if he feels it in you, he’ll want to be like you and feel it too. Just let him absorb it all and I envy him that moment.

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

• Habsrule1 says:

Will do sir. Will do.

This morning was a proud day. for the first time, he asked me if he could wear his jersey to school.

I smiled and said yes.

Kicker is I live 30 minutes east of Ottawa.

Cheers.

Go Habs Go!!

• donmarco says:

Can’t lose now, brother.

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

• D Mex says:

Well said – no too-too for you !
      :lol:

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• mdp2011 says:

+1, +3, +5, +7,+9, +10, +12, +16, +18, +19, +23, +29, +33.

I too have stayed away lately, mostly because of the all the negativity, but excellent post.

• Cal says:

Great post, don.

• Et le but says:

Brilliant!!!

You are a true FAN!!!

I’m born in MTL in ’63…I so share your connection to our team; thank you!!!

21. J.J. of Turku says:

Today it finally is Blunden’s time to shine!

In the beginning of the season I thought he’d be the one to play whole season with the Habs.
    I’m waiting for a goal from the dirty areas to begin the scoring. Other goals may be the accurate shots by P.K., Ryder, Bourque and Markov.

That should be enough.

Bazinga!

22. Ron says:

If Stu or a mod is online now could you please drop back to a post at 12:55 from Chuck naming 6 missing players. Nuna has dropped by and left a reply with some explicite language. Should be enough to ban him for a period of time. Thanks

23. J.J. of Turku says:

Canada leads Sweden, 1-0.

Hehehee…

Sweden.

Bazinga!

24. savethepuck says:

I am sure that after the last game, management sent a lot of video complaining about the multitude of poor calls by the refs, which affected the final score of the game. I think that is how teams deal with these things because they risk large fines if they fight these issues in the media.

As a result, I’m sure the league has told tonight’s officiating crew that they owe us a few calls, so no worries. ;)

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

25. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Russia lost 2-1 to France

…Perezhogin Russia’s lone goal …remember him ?

26. habs1992 says:

A lot of people wanted Budaj, well it looks like you get your wish.

I support Carey Price

27. Small_Town_Boy says:

Lets go Budaj. Time to earn that big contract extension.

I hope he plays well.

Dat’s wha me tinks

28. Bill says:

Since Emelin hasn’t had surgery yet, it’s very possible he will miss all of next season.

29. Et le but says:

Love the level-headed, intelligent and positive postings here today!

There is so much feel good about our team and the future.

Tonight, MT needs to juice the max out of the ‘us against the world’ canvas that this series is being played out on. And then, for 2 more games if there is anything left to squeeze.

If 300 Spartans were able to hold off the Persian “god-King” Xerxes and his army of more than 300,000 soldiers for several days in the Battle of Thermopylae, then anything, and everything, is possible…

Until the final siren, I believe…

• Cal says:

Habs have no choice but to throw caution to the winds and play balls to the wall hockey. Be nice to win one more for the home crowd.

• Ron Torkelson says:

This team has been competitive all season, and that’s all you can ask for, really. They are in tough for the rest of these playoffs, considering the injuries, but the future certainly looks bright from where I’m sitting.

• anotherhab says:

I agree, also in May 1862 (Cinco de Mayo) a poorly equipped Mexican army of 4500 crushed Napoleon’s premier army of 8000.

Go HABS Go!!

“I find your lack of faith disturbing” Darth V

• neumann103 says:

Yes, but the 300 Spartans had Lena Headey

“Et le but!”

30. Bripro says:

Is Drewiske playing tonight?
    Someone might want to remind him that he’s a big body and that he should use it.

31. Small_Town_Boy says:

All the Habs need to do & should have tried to do on every shot is shoot high on Anderson. He will be tired of picking pucks out of the net!

Dat’s wha me tinks

32. christophor says:

What bothers me most about this series: there’s frequently a lot of traffic and scrambling in front of the Habs’ net, but rarely does the same occur in front of the Sens’ net. Montreal has carried the play but they’ve made it easy for Anderson. I really don’t recall him making many tough saves. This isn’t intended as a defence of Montreal’s goaltending; it’s a criticism of their offensive strategy. The Habs are the better team and they can do what I’m saying they’re not doing.

33. Habitant in Surrey says:

…We will win this game tonight …We will win this series

…Go Habs Go ! …Burn those togas ! :)

Odd how the site crashed as i hit submit on a post with anti-Ottawa rhetoric aimed at the Senators representing people who spend our tax money like drunken sailors.

The city of Ottawa may be a beautiful city to look at, but to me represents a people who no longer appreciate their jobs as politicians, i say this at all the parties. Lets beat that city tonight!

A win for the people!

GO HABS GO!

• arcosenate says:

“Technically Beautiful”

• Luke says:

Not to get all politicky but I think it all started when politics went from being a public service, supplimental to one’s ‘normal’ life to a business and a career path. And a rather lucrative one at that…

• arcosenate says:

I blame the Coast Guard, they should have been watching Parliament Hill much more diligently.

Exactly, I shouldn’t go down this path but i will. I think back in the 50′s 60′s many politicians were retired farmers, or perhaps people who had had success in private sector and chose to almost serve the people.

I don’t know how it ever gets cleaned up, but lets just say I will never have a politician as a close friend, probably not even acquaintance.

• Habfan10912 says:

I’m technically a farmer. :)

• oldandslo says:

Politics was always a vile endeavour because of corporate cash and greed not because we’re running out of retired farmers FFS. Next you’ll be waxing nostalgic for kitchen-bound womenfolk – right?

Okay, yah that is exactly where I was going….. Yikes I never did say they were pure as driven snow, I just happen to think there is zero concept of service left in them.

Thanks for equating that to my views on women. Please don’t tell anyone else about my secret agenda though, okay?

• Cal says:

I’ve got the pitchforks. Can you handle the torches? ;)

• Bripro says:

“A win for the people”???
      The last time I heard that (last week), students were arrested for breaking merchant windows up Saint Lawrence boulevard.
      Yeah, yeah… Boulevard Saint Laurent.
      For the benefit of Marois and company. She’s everywhere…
      I was watching them march, and someone yelled out A** Holes!!,
      and the TV in the store behind us immediately showed an image of the she-devil herself.

35. nunacanadien says:

Getting rid of Gomez helped the habs, an underachiever, who used to be good. I wonder if we have a Gomez Goalie in Price. An underachiever who used to be a great rookie and who shows flashes of this brilliance, only to be a headcase, lazy at times and not a good work ethic. What a waste of a talent and cap space. I wonder if the habs’ prospects for the future would be bouyed up by getting rid of Price and getting a real honest to goodness regular performer? Price is not living up to the promise of only letting in 1 goal and the habs winning by one.

If the Sens target our good players again, we should just hurt Alfredsson in return, or better yet Anderson. But then the habs are better than that. But it is sad these things happen but greedy businessmen know what sells hockey, but not Molson it seems.

• Small_Town_Boy says:

Why don’t U crawl back under your bridge NUNA-TROLL!

Dat’s wha me tinks

Where you been nuna! Good to see you are okay.

That fricking Price, he needs to be drawn and quartered!

• mrhabby says:

Fine and dandy…who replaces Price?
      and how do you know he has a bad work ethic.
      Lots of goalies are having a hard time this playoff and reg season . See Fleury , Luongo, Schneider , Quick, Elliot, Reimer they area all inconsistent at certain times in there career.

Keep in mind..the team in front of him has not been very consistent.

• habs_54321 says:

actually before this series i was down on price more than ever but if anything i’ve refound my respect for him this series yes he had a terrible game 1 and a questionable game 3 but i saw something i didn’t see from him in a long time he BATTLED. if he battles like that for a full season we will have the goalie we all thought we had.

• SteverenO says:

Ther eason Gomez hurt the HAbs was NOT because he was an underachiever it was because the coaches used him on the first line and on the top PP unit. had tehy played him with two “grinders” and allowed others to produce on the PP and th e1st line Gomez’s lack of production would not have “hurt” the team

Our “gomez” this year, especially of late, is Markov. The team does NOT score when he is in the ice at even strength- and teh give up a lot of goals. – Again it wouldnot “hurt” the team so much if he played 12 to 15 minutes a game, but playing an ineffective player for 20 plus minutes per game does hurt.

For most of the year, his offensive liability was hidden because he produced amazing numbers on the PP. In the last weeks of the season and the playoffs, he has been bringing down the PP as well.

In a way the same can be said for Price.The team would have a better record had he played less games and Budaj played more.

Perhaps he (Price) would have been more effective as well with a lighter workload.

regards,

Steve O.

• Mustang says:

For once Nuna picked on a big player so he couldn’t criticize him because of his size. Way to go Numa! Keep up the good work.

36. Steeltown Hab says:

I know he’s had a sub par year. But I really can’t understand how your down Eller Gionta Prust White you replace with Halpern (good) (Armstrong) (Dumont) and don’t go for a guy with scoring upside for your next call up.

I like Blunden, but in this case would’ve really liked to see Leblanc or even Bournival who has some versatility to play Center if you want to move Dumont up to the 3rd line.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

37. habs1992 says:

Ill be honest I dont really like an 82 game season, its just so demanding its amazing that people have anything left come playoffs.

I support Carey Price

• H.Upmann says:

No kidding. I can only imagine working out four times a week without exhausting myself. Can’t imagine how these guys do it.

When they’re playing teams like Columbus or Phoenix, I can’t help but think, who cares? Maybe San Jose if Gomez is still there… but overall I can’t find time to watch every single game in a full season

• Habsrule1 says:

Sometimes I wonder if they think “who cares” in certain games too. Many fans are all over them if they don’t play at 100% capacity every single game. I think it’s kinda normal.

Go Habs Go!!

• habs1992 says:

Ya I dont see it that big of a deal every 10 games you play a game where you just dont care, no way can you have that intesity for an 82 game season

I support Carey Price

38. twilighthours says:

39. Cal says:

This site hanging up again?

40. nickster13 says:

Habs in 7!
    When we beat Boston all those years ago after being down 3-1, I never stopped believing and I was rewarded! Let’s do this thing! Tonight’s a home game!

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

41. HammerHab says:

This is awesome….Reimers wife shoots Elisha Cuthbert a dirty look….

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

42. Gally365 says:

I give my opinion after each game and from what I have seen so far. Ottawa has been playing a little better on Defense and in net than the Habs. Not by much but enough to win and that has been the difference. Some bad calls by the Refs hasn’t helped either.

Don’t know how far the Habs will go. Unless Ottawa falls apart. I think they’ll win the series and that’s not a slur against the Habs.

With all the injuries they have. They have nothing to be ashamed of. They gave the fans a real good season. Credit to the Players, Coaches and Management.

43. D Mex says:

Attn : Kfourn
    Reference speculation (below) on potential make-up calls in tonight’s game, doing so would serve to further expose what many believe to be happening behind-the-scenes with NHL officiating.

In theory, it would set the stage for a possible return to ‘ status quo ‘ in Game 6 and / or Game 7. Interesting dilemma for the NHL, no ?
    :-?

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

44. Bash says:

Gallager Pleks Borque
    Pacioretty Deharnais Galchenyuk
    Moen Halpern Armstrong
    Blunden Dumont Ryder

Not sure what to do with Ryder: Start him here and bump him up to Gallager’s spot if the situation calls for it.

The last two lines can be juggled a lot with Dumont on for most of their face-offs.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

45. twilighthours says:

I’m not feeling overly optimistic but I’m glad a lot of you are. I’m just going to enjoy the game. Overall, a very fun season.

46. commandant says:

Blunden’s potting two goals tonight. Just watch.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

47. johnnylarue says:

Oh man, yet another instant classic GIF:

48. So many positive and interesting comments!

Great work all.

GO HABS GO

GO HABS GO

GO HABS GO

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

49. leehammer says:

So I’ve noticed that everyone is ALL over David Desharnais these days. Not just the commentariat in here, but also the media etc. He’s got one shot and is -10000 or whatever.

I think things would be a little different if he hadn’t had such an incredible year last year. He got signed to a SLIGHTLY high 2nd line centre’s contract but it is by no means as egregious as some would lead you to believe. I think it’s more interesting to look at the root cause for why his production has declined. For me I think that line of Cole – Max, DD worked last year so well because you had a 1 big guy to drive the net (Cole), one passer (DD) and one shooter (Max). Since the departure of Cole lots of different wingers have been tried on that line but it never works. I think the simple reason is that you need that one guy driving the net. We all want Max to play like that because he’s a big kid, but that’s really never been his style. He’s a shooter. Gallagher could work because he goes to the net like a champ, but he doesn’t have the ability that Cole has to barrel down the wing.

So I think if I was MT, I would seriously consider breaking up DD and Max. Why not DD with Bourque, who is playing incredible and is really driving the net?

What do you guys think?

• Stevie.Ray says:

Max And DD did play there best when Gallagher was driving the net for them.

• Ron in Ottawa says:

I agree with you. The Cole/Ryder trade did not work out in the long run. Ryder is another “sniper” who is fantastic when he shows up- but he does not show up for every game. the trade completely screwed up the chemistry of the habs #1 line. I like what MB is trying to do, but I think this trade did not work.

• Chuck says:

The trade worked perfectly… they now have a bunch of cap room to play with in the off season.

_______________________________
        X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• Habsrule1 says:

It was a good trade. The line was doing nothing with Cole on it, Cole was doing nothing. Ryder came in and did a lot. Ryder is also a UFA at season’s end. Cole was not.

= Good trade.

Go Habs Go!!

• SteverenO says:

The fans are “influenced” by others and their memory and impressions are not always accurate:

here’s what I mean:

Player A: 55 minutes TOI (even strength)
      2 goal scored – 1 goal allowed by the team while on the ice

Player B; 59 minutes TOI (even strength)
      1 goal scored – 4 goals allowed by the team while on the ice

Player C 52 minutes TOI (even strength)
      2 goals scored – 1 goals allowed by the team while on the ice

Player D: 46 minutes TOI (even strength)
      1 goal scored – 7 goals allowed by the team while on the ice

Without reading below do you know who the players are?

WHo do you think has been our best/worst performer in the playoffs so far?

The 4 players refelected above are Gallagher, Ryder, Desharnais and Plekanec.

C: Michael Ryder- see comments as for plyer a Desharnais:

regards,

Steve O.

50. Chuck says:

No Price.
    No Gionta.
    No Eller.
    No Prust.
    No Emelin.
    No White.

No problem.

_______________________________
    X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

51. Stevie.Ray says:

Do you think Gallagher – Eller – Galchenyuk will be our top line next season?

Will Pacioretty and Desharnais finally be separated? Plekanec could use a goal scorer like Pacioretty, but can Pacioretty play D well enough to play with Plekanec?

Who will replace Ryder? We probably would like a guy who can put up similar numbers, but play a tougher game. Iginla? Horton? Clarkson? Clowe (not likely)? Do we make a trade?

Is Desharnais right for the third line? Or should we use him as trade bait. Then have Galchenyuk, Pleks and Eller down the middle? Is White capable of the fourth line center role?

Are Prust and Bourque perfect third line players?

Will Armstrong be back, or should we look at adding somebody new? Anthony Stewart? Or can Blunden make the jump?

Our D looks stocked if Tinordi makes the jump.
    Markov – Subban
    Diaz – Emelin
    Gorges – Tinordi
    Boullion
    Will we let Weber walk? Or try to trade him? Will we re-sign Drewiske to be a solid depth guy that can fill in if Tinordi falters, or does he deserve a chance somewhere else? Will Beaulieu get a shot?

Lot’s of questions, and a lot of options to think about. Much better position than last year.

52. Phil C says:

Why I think the Habs can come back:

- Canadiens hockey does not depend on goaltending. When they are playing well, they don’t give up a lot of shots and Ottawa are happy to sit back. Budaj doesn’t have to be great for them to win, just avoid being brutally bad.

- The Habs still have two lines that can score, good enough to beat the Sens. Two sets of fresh, young legs on line 3 and 4 might bring energy to the lineup. Blunden has NHL experience, so he can replace most of Prust’s minutes fairly well (minus the fighting). Dumont is green, but his minutes will be managed and hopefully he can step up.

- The Defense has been a weakness in this series, but they are still the same six guys that have helped the Habs outplay the Sens in 3 of the 4 games. No reason why they cannot continue to dominate offensively and hang in there defensively.

Why the Habs could still lose:

- There is no margin for error anymore, so if the Sens get a few lucky breaks, it could be all over.

53. Rad says:

Blunden is my boy!!! (And Drewiske of course)

54. Thomas Le Fan says:

I have supported Carey Price and will support Peter Budaj. If he wins the next 15 games he plays, I will be happy to have him become #1 next year.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

55. nek25plus says:

Would love to see Bournival in the game. It is my hope that we utilize all of our players right until the end. Especially the kids!

Oh, and hit so hard and so clean…and speed is everything!

56. The Jackal says:

There will be a Habs game on Saturday night

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

57. Kfourn says:

I think there’s going to be a couple of make up calls tonight for the Habs for that despicable display of officiating and judgement on Tuesday. Let’s get em boys! GO HABS GO!

_______________________________________________________
    Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”
    “It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

• Small_Town_Boy says:

It’s too fiffin late now!

Dat’s wha me tinks

• secretdragonfly says:

I like your optimism – sadly, I have the completely opposite feeling. I just want them to go out there and play their best, that’s all any of us can ask.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

No. I hope not. I merely want them to call the game fairly. For a change perhaps but that’s the only way it should work.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

58. jols101 says:

I really hope we have a Habs game to watch on Saturday night.

59. Small_Town_Boy says:

I want to see Subban destroy Neil with a check.

I want to see McLean hit in the mouth with a puck.

I want to see that ugly ewok that kicked the puck in get smacked silly.

I want to see Turris get smacked silly.

The most of all I want to see a win!

Dat’s wha me tinks

60. Chuck says:

Really good things are gonna happen tonight.

_______________________________
    X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

61. Buzz Lightbeer says:

So what”s the lineup tonight? I am having a hard time keeping track.

• Walmyr says:

Prust out, Blunden in

So, in my mind:

Bourque-Plekanec-Ryder
      Pacioretty-Deshairnais-Gallagher
      Galchenyuk-Halpern-Armstrong
      Moen-Dumont-Blunden

Yes, I think we can win with that!!!

bleu blanc rouge
      blue white red
      azul branco vermelho

62. ceedee says:

It will be interesting to see how the game is called tonight. The kick in goal/marginal icing calls were a topic nationally (NBCSports) during and right after the game, and I can’t imagine the league didn’t have some kind of “sit down” with tonight’s officials. It’s one thing to try to referee out the over the top nastiness; it’s a whole other thing to (apparently) make calls based on the score.

BTW, I’m a lifelong Bruins fan and truly dislike the Canadiens, but it was hard even for me not to feel awful about that Sens’ theft last game. Not looking good for the Habs with all the injuries, but you never know in these series.

63. How funny would it be to see the Habs take to the ice with no sticks for the first 5 minutes of the warmup and practice kicking pucks into the goal?

64. habsfan0 says:

Lars Eller suffered a concussion(among other injuries) a week ago,and he’s skating already?

He must have Pacioretty’s healing powers.

• At the same time as long as he isn’t experiencing concussion symptoms I think it is important for his confidence that he gets back on the ice right away. The longer you are away the more time you have to think and that can make you hesitant to come back. It will still take live action and a few hits until he realizes that he is ready to go again.

• Fransaskois says:

Concussions can have a huge range in severity. . Let’s hope most of the damage was to his face, and that he gets away with little-to-no concussion problems.

• johnnylarue says:

Yeah, it sounds like his face/nose “took one for the team” and his brain was spared accordingly.

Glad he’s back on skates, in any case. That injury could have seriously sidetracked his career, but it’s looking like he’s doing everything in his power to ensure he can pick up where he left off when he makes his return.

65. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Took me two nights to sleep off the negative defeatist attitude but feel much better today. We may not come out with the series but the least they could do is make the Sens and their annoying fans sweat a little. It’s an underdog battle tonight and that”s when the Habs seem to excel. This team deserves a better fate than a 5 game series.

66. Blondemon says:

Budaj is good, 8-1-1 this regular season, and a big relief for Price in the 6-5 game vs Bruins, trailing 4-2 after 40. Plus I don’t rate the Senators offense, did you see their goals last game?

That said, I love Therrien’s hoodies. Makes Belichick look like a bum under a bridge.

***Drive for 25***

67. mark-ID says:

anyone see this video of Ovechkin playing defence yesterday against the Rangers? Haha it is hilarious to see him not trying.

• Chuck says:

He almost looks like it was to much of a bother for him to coast. :)

_______________________________
      X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• Blondemon says:

I had NYR in this series from the start. I have them even more so now. Compare captains alone, Callahan to Ovechkin.

Also, Caps thought they could salvage a season by waking up last 10 games, and stealing (as ‘champs’ of the SouthLeast Division) a top 3 seed? Rangers will correct this anomaly.

***Drive for 25***

68. Small_Town_Boy says:

“I believe our players compete hard in front of Carey and it’s the same thing in front of Peter,” he added.

What is this all about: “I think guys respect him (Budaj) a lot and they compete really hard for him. And it works both ways. Peter works really hard for his teammates.”

Dat’s wha me tinks

69. joedacrabb33 says:

Blunden will bring some physicality to our line-up, but nonetheless, we’re screwed.

SUBBAN > everything

70. First meaningful post!

I really hope after the first two picks this summer, we draft big defensemen.

GO HABS GO

GO HABS GO

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

71. Walmyr says:

primeiro (first)??!!

bleu blanc rouge
    blue white red
    azul branco vermelho

72. Bripro says:

FYI, I’m half french.
    Saint Laurent used to be Saint Lawrence boulevard.
    René Levesque boulevard used to be Dorchester.
    Rhetoric has nothing to do with it.
    Get a sense of humour.