Update: Bell four-pointer for Habs, Senators

Former Canadien Alex Kovalev hopes to snap a nine-game point-less slump Monday against the Canadiens, who are home to an Ottawa Senators team that’s lost five straight.
Mike Stobe, NHLI via Getty Images

Habs reinforcements in sight: Hickey
Senators’ Kovalev upbeat despite slump: Stubbs

AUDIO: Senators coach Cory Clouston | Alex Kovalev | Daniel Alfredsson

The Ottawa Senators, losers of five straight heading into tonight’s huge game against the Canadiens, held an optional practice Sunday morning at the Bell Centre, and 16 players skated for an hour.

Coach Cory Clouston maintains his team is doing a lot of things right, and it was an upbeat dressing room after practice; no moping despite the team’s current skid. Nick Foligno and former Canadien Alex Kovalev were the last off the ice, having been out for a full 90 minutes until they were asked to leave, hundreds of Casino de Montréal employees and their familiies waiting to enjoy an afternoon of skating on the Habs’ rink.

Senators not skating Sunday: captain Daniel Alfredsson, Jason Spezza, Chris Phillips, Andy Sutton, Milan Michalek, Chris Campoli, Filip Kuba and Erik Karlsson.

The Canadiens had Sunday off. They’ll skate this late this morning in Brossard, while the Senators will skate once more at the Bell Centre.

1. G-Man says:

AK46: 235GP 64G 71A 135PTS

Gui: 278GP 73G 47A 120PTS

Wow, AK is sooo much better.

BTW, I wrote that the trade was good for both clubs.

2. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Anyone in the “GTA” or god forbid Western New York, I have an extra ticket for Wednesday’s game against the Sabres at HSBC. It is 100 level and I paid $100 US for it. 14th row between the goal line and the faceoff circles. Habs shoot here twice. Let me know if you anyone is interested.

3. ooder says:

i want to see our habs climb the standings though…

it’s good for confidence.

also i think MTL has separated itself from the pack of 8-20 place teams far enough. When teams like the rangers or atlanta win it should be boston sweating, not MTL

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

4. showey47 says:

easier on the habs should mean teams #9 and lower losing hockey games. An atlanta wins keeps them in the race. Philly is going to make the playoffs regardless,atlanta losing benefits us more. Just like the rangers loss today. Eliminating teams outside the playoff positions as soon as possible allows us to sit players who could possibly be playing injured.

5. Jbird says:

Lats and Cammy are tied right now in goals.  Cammy will play at least 8 more games.  Wanna Bet on that claim?  And I know that Cammy will get more in the playoffs seeing that Lats plays on a go nowhere close to the playoffs team.

Overall Lats was a Rebiero style poison on the team as far as i could tell – I’m glad his chubby self is gone.  He has nine more goals than his career high – this is not that shocking.

6. matraque says:

Will Lats finish close to 30 or 35 goals this season?

——

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

7. matraque says:

I say Halak.  He’s not tired… why would he be?

——

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

8. ooder says:

i just hope atlanta beats philly tonight…

this will make it much easier on our habs.

——————

9. showey47 says:

i think he meant ak not kovy.

10. naweed235 says:

what do u mean hopefully? …as far as im concerned i hope he doesnt score anymore till the end of the year…specially not in MTL

11. hab_skill says:

Price tomorrow night? Halak’s tired.

12. ooder says:

interfernce yes, but nothing more then that.

it was a hockey play in the sense that it wasn’t anything like what ovechki or cooke pulled recently

——————

13. Bob_Sacamano says:

I just don´t understand why people keep replying to this wum…?

14. habs_agardiner says:

Thx Mr. Stubbs

15. showey47 says:

I wouldn’t quite call it a hockey play,cammy was skating to the puck and volchenkov t-boned him before he got there. Cammy never played the puck,i doubt it was intent to injure perhaps not even a cheap shot but interference would have been a reasonable call. The injury was fluke,

16. Dave Stubbs says:

11 am Brossard, open to the public.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

17. habs_agardiner says:

Obyrne

18. habs_agardiner says:

for tomorrows practice is it open to the public. Anyone?

19. Bugs says:

Not all of us.

Sure, some of us would like Tendre Guidoune to suck just so we coulda WON the deal, not content with the TIE one.

And some of us don’t give a rat’s butt what other teams do as long as OURS finds ways to get better.

Like it did with the Gui-Poulio deal.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

L.B. Potter, esq. First Bugler of the St-Habberson’s Club Red Brigade and Head Coachman to the President of Habsbros Flannel-weaving Services: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

20. ooder says:

no one, it was a hockey play… no intent to injure and it wasn’t a cheap shot either

——————

21. Bugs says:

I’ll go further. Last night’s game was his worst with us. And he still picked up a point.

I will only start giving credibility to complaints against my boy once he goes TWO games without picking up a point.

And that’s all I have to say, officer.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

22. habs001 says:

chances are another one goal /overtime game vs senators…same wed in buffalo and probably most games rest of the season unless we start scoring on the pp… i am pretty confident our main offensive players will produce as they have all year but the key will be ak46 and to a lesser extent sk74 if they could somehow start producing we would be in good shape…most fans are hoping ak46 and sk74 can become major contributors with the habs but if their stats are the same next year at this time as now we may have to look at trading them.

Ka-zing!