Update: Bell four-pointer for Habs, Senators

Former Canadien Alex Kovalev hopes to snap a nine-game point-less slump Monday against the Canadiens, who are home to an Ottawa Senators team that’s lost five straight.
Mike Stobe, NHLI via Getty Images

Habs reinforcements in sight: Hickey
Senators’ Kovalev upbeat despite slump: Stubbs

AUDIO: Senators coach Cory Clouston | Alex Kovalev | Daniel Alfredsson

The Ottawa Senators, losers of five straight heading into tonight’s huge game against the Canadiens, held an optional practice Sunday morning at the Bell Centre, and 16 players skated for an hour.

Coach Cory Clouston maintains his team is doing a lot of things right, and it was an upbeat dressing room after practice; no moping despite the team’s current skid. Nick Foligno and former Canadien Alex Kovalev were the last off the ice, having been out for a full 90 minutes until they were asked to leave, hundreds of Casino de Montréal employees and their familiies waiting to enjoy an afternoon of skating on the Habs’ rink.

Senators not skating Sunday: captain Daniel Alfredsson, Jason Spezza, Chris Phillips, Andy Sutton, Milan Michalek, Chris Campoli, Filip Kuba and Erik Karlsson.

The Canadiens had Sunday off. They’ll skate this late this morning in Brossard, while the Senators will skate once more at the Bell Centre.

1. ooder says:

i just hope atlanta beats philly tonight…

this will make it much easier on our habs.

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

2. showey47 says:

i think he meant ak not kovy.

3. naweed235 says:

what do u mean hopefully? …as far as im concerned i hope he doesnt score anymore till the end of the year…specially not in MTL

4. hab_skill says:

Price tomorrow night? Halak’s tired.

5. ooder says:

interfernce yes, but nothing more then that.

it was a hockey play in the sense that it wasn’t anything like what ovechki or cooke pulled recently

——————

6. Bob_Sacamano says:

I just don´t understand why people keep replying to this wum…?

7. habs_agardiner says:

Thx Mr. Stubbs

8. showey47 says:

I wouldn’t quite call it a hockey play,cammy was skating to the puck and volchenkov t-boned him before he got there. Cammy never played the puck,i doubt it was intent to injure perhaps not even a cheap shot but interference would have been a reasonable call. The injury was fluke,

9. Dave Stubbs says:

11 am Brossard, open to the public.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

10. habs_agardiner says:

Obyrne

11. habs_agardiner says:

for tomorrows practice is it open to the public. Anyone?

12. Bugs says:

Not all of us.

Sure, some of us would like Tendre Guidoune to suck just so we coulda WON the deal, not content with the TIE one.

And some of us don’t give a rat’s butt what other teams do as long as OURS finds ways to get better.

Like it did with the Gui-Poulio deal.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

L.B. Potter, esq. First Bugler of the St-Habberson’s Club Red Brigade and Head Coachman to the President of Habsbros Flannel-weaving Services: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

13. ooder says:

no one, it was a hockey play… no intent to injure and it wasn’t a cheap shot either

——————

14. Bugs says:

I’ll go further. Last night’s game was his worst with us. And he still picked up a point.

I will only start giving credibility to complaints against my boy once he goes TWO games without picking up a point.

And that’s all I have to say, officer.

15. habs001 says:

chances are another one goal /overtime game vs senators…same wed in buffalo and probably most games rest of the season unless we start scoring on the pp… i am pretty confident our main offensive players will produce as they have all year but the key will be ak46 and to a lesser extent sk74 if they could somehow start producing we would be in good shape…most fans are hoping ak46 and sk74 can become major contributors with the habs but if their stats are the same next year at this time as now we may have to look at trading them.

Ka-zing!

If facts were part of Timo’s rants they wouldn’t be worthy of Timoism.

18. Bugs says:

Because from a young age, they saw that you had “golf” written all over you. And you don’t want that goin into hockey. They did what was best for you because they loved you. And I’m sure they still do.

So what happened?

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

To be fair Pouliot’s last few games haven’t been memorable. He’s making a lot of weak plays and doesn’t have the same drive he showed a while back. His produciton has been lacking and he seems a little out of place with Gio and Gomez as of late.

20. t1tan5 says:

The Habs who are 7-2-1 in their last 10? The Habs who have gotten 13 out of the last 14 possible points? One game and we suddenly suck again according to you. For anything to be statistically relevant, you need more than just one performance to draw your conclusions on.

I like Pouliot. It would’ve been sweeter had TG not produced but he is producing so his production is not a dead-horse issue. Claiming it is, is more of a white-wash. A proverbial “everybody move along nothing to see over here” pull the wool over the eyes feint. Why isn’t Sergei given any PP time for example? Something tells me he goes to another team and starts popping them in all over the place. But of course nothing to see over here because my boy Poulio is the new drug that replaces the Kovy-habit. It’s a valid moan and groan cuz that’s what we Habs fans do.

22. Mark C says:

Having the day off might have something to do with 4 games in 6 days this week. But, lets not let facts get in the way of your mini rants.

23. Bugs says:

Invisible. Totally agree.

He does what he wants out there and no one can stop him. Pickin up pts while everyone’s back is turned.

Including your own apparently.

24. Bugs says:

Watching our games probably beats watching video of their own.

“Oh, is that what goaltending looks like? Cool. Oh, and look, a system. Wow, how’s that work? Why don’t we have one of those? Boy, these guys are good! We should play like these guys.”

25. Mark C says:

That is not true. The point a game player adds much more value to the team. Even in only 50 games, his additional .27 PPG will have much greater win/loss impact than the 60 point in 82 games player.

The replacement player for the point a game player would only need 10 points in 32 games to total the 60 points of 82 games player, e.g. Darche has 9 points in 22 games.

26. Bugs says:

May I see a link where he admits to bein a b*tch, please?

Thanks.

27. Da Hema says:

I see no evidence Latendresse “wasn’t given a chance.” Carbonneau had him on the second line and on power plays! I side with SeriousFan that Gui’s unwillingness (or inability) to commit to the team was the source of the problem. Gui was not exactly a Rhodes scholar. Didn’t Pearn, during a practice, grab Gui by the ear and drag him to the net to show him where he needed to go? I think Gui is a bit of a dumb-dumb, and so we can thank God hockey will pay his bills for the rest of his life rather than Canadian taxpayers.

————————

“There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge….”

–Hunter S. Thompson

28. Bugs says:

Woops. Shoulda read further. Sorry, Showey.

Yeah! What Showey said!

29. Bugs says:

Wait til AK gets one. Then we’ll see the difference between him and Gui.

In his worse moments, Poulio still gets a point.

If that’s his worse game with us, I guess I’ll take it.

30. usversusthem says:

I noticed Martin was juggling him around the lines a bit last night, so I guess he’s not doing the little things in the coach’s opinion. I can’t say I’ve noticed him as much lately as I did in the early going of his tenure on the GG line. But he’s still put up 8 points in the 9 games since the Olympics, which is not too shabby for someone who needs a kick in the ass.

31. Bugs says:

Bottom line is right. Didn’t work here; it’s workin over there.

And so far, it’s almost an exact ppg for the both of’em. So what’s the problem? Let’s move on.

Y’all know how much I loved sayin Tendre Guidoune but I can’t no more. Know why? Cuz I’ve moved on.

Let’s move on. This horse is so dead. I mean, it’s deader’n’dead. Every time it gets hit, its rotting carcass releases more putrefied gas from its pus-ridden decomposing bowels that stings the nostrils in a manner quite unpleasant. Suggest we stop beatin on it.

Talent for talent, production for production, my boy Poulio serves the interests of the Montreal Canadien better than Tendre Guidoune did. Ergo: deal made us better. Stamp of approval. Unanimously approved. Passed through the House. Instituted.

So let’s move on.

32. SeriousFan09 says:

He was the definition of a lazy player in Montreal, name me a 10-game stretch in his career in Montreal where he played well for that entire time? It doesn’t exist. He moaned about how he didn’t get fair treatment after he was traded when in fact he could’ve just shut his mouth and not taken the opportunity to trash the organization that drafted him and gave him his shot at the NHL, he had no respect and whined about how he didn’t get fair treatment, but at the same time said he was phoning his season in because he didn’t think he had a future with Montreal. So he admits he was lazy because he didn’t think he had a real chance of staying in Montreal and at the same time whines how he didn’t get fair treatment while he admits he wasn’t really trying.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Wow, I love the patience in this town, Pouliot isn’t great for a few games and suddenly we were robbed on the Gui trade. If Gui goes back to his old habits next year, are you going to brag we won the trade?

Gui had plenty of chances, last year when he started off with Saku and Tanguay? Produced **** all the whole time he was with them and there were other times he was with top lines and did nothing. About the only time he reliably produced last year was with TTB/Lapierre for a stretch. He looked great in training camp to start, but then the regular season started up and he was floating like a weather balloon and about as useful as one. Yes he never finished games out with a top line but he looked as bad as Maxwell did if he got shifted with those lines. He didn’t move his feet, his hits amounted to nothing when he should have been hitting, he lost 90% of his board battles and shot very accurately in to every goalie’s chest protector.

AK gets more patience because he’s a superior talent, hands, speed, strength are all above Gui. He’s produced with top lines, Gui could not. Cammy/AK/Pleks were an elite line together, as was Lang/Kostitsyns last year and Pleks/Kovalev the year before. When has Gui ever put up points while playing with the big players?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

34. showey47 says:

but the tortoise only has 36 points

35. Bugs says:

Excellent!

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

The tortoise wins the race against the hare, the point being a healthy 60 point in 82 games player is better than a 50 points in 50 games player who missed 32 due to injury.

I disagree with your assessment of Lats. Lats only said stuff after he was traded, so what. He wasn’t a cry-baby nor lazy. I think some of the blame has to be put on the coaching staff here for not seeing and using his potential. Lats’ scoring with Minny and that’s the bottom line. Pouliot hasn’t scored as of late and his play is off the past few games. It’s a fair comparison to make.

38. showey47 says:

don’t forget about gio,missed 21 games and still has 23 goals.

39. showey47 says:

if 22 points in 29 games as a hab is his bad habits i will take them.

40. SeriousFan09 says:

No AK and Cammy injuries? AK’d be chasing 30 and Cammy’d be closing at 40 by this time.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

41. G-Man says:

He was right. We’re forever waiting for AK to get going and Gui wasn’t given a chance. The trade was good for both clubs, but where’s Pouliot lately? Back to his old habits, that’s where.

42. showey47 says:

easy to catch up to cammy when he has missed the last 18 games.

43. SeriousFan09 says:

He was a lazy, unmotivated crybaby. Moaned to no end about how he didn’t get fair treatment in Montreal, floated through just about every game he played with Montreal this year and 70% of them in all his previous seasons. Never wanted to work hard in Montreal, we got rid of him becuase of it, simple as that. He was a soft player in Montreal and refused to work hard ever.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

44. showey47 says:

He hasn’t gone more then 2 games without getting a point since he’s been here,he has only gone 2 games without getting a point twice and the first time was his first 2 games as a hab. If he isn’t scoring goals he is still getting assists which means someone else is scoring goals on his line. Benny has 22 points in 29 games as a hab,how is that falling off big time? That line isn’t the problem,we need cammy back to get the pleky line going.

45. ooder says:

dear God, 2012 can’t come fast enough.

that’s ridiculous lol

——————

46. usversusthem says:

Forget Benny, at this rate Lats is gonna finish the season with more goals than Cammy. Hands up everyone who saw that one coming in mid-November.

47. hablifting says:

Can I rent some time on your crystal ball?  This way I’ll know when the habs win their next cup so I can stop wasting my time.

Thanks in advance.

48. SeriousFan09 says:

Gui’s soft between the ears, he can score as much as he likes in Minnesota, that team’s going nowhere and if they ever make the playoffs, he’ll be invisible.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

49. hablifting says:

The only problem is that Benny has fallen off big time lately.  He looks lost out there.  Someone needs to kick him in the ass.

50. zozotheclown says:

Even if he falls behind in the point pace, Pouliot’s arrival revitalized the Gomez line and got them playing the way we needed them to. The contribution of bringing that line back to life is way more important then individual points he might get, because Lats would probably not have gotten that line going, and we need 2 solid scoring lines to play with the top teams in the conference.

51. ooder says:

seriously, 26 goals for lats already…

benny has a lot of pressure on his shoulders lol

——————

52. hablifting says:

Lats scores again 2-1 Minny.  Probably safe to say it’s not a fluke at this point.

Please Benoit, don’t make the Habs look stupid yet again… :(

53. WindsorHab-10 says:

I hope the Habs are more upbeat and show interest in tomorrow’s game. They sure didn’t last night(except Gio,Gomer & Halak).

54. EastCoastJoe says:

And of course his dad, Troy was drafted by the Habs in ’84.

“Maybe I’ll play the piano.” – Bob Gainey

55. Bugs says:

GA, GPG, PP, PK, SF, SA, all areas affected by coaching systematically improved.

All the Jack Marty haters? In your FACE!

Oh yes! All up in your face.

Thank you.

That is all.

56. Bugs says:

Watching the American leafs lose was never as much fun as it is now cuz we get to hear the Tortinator go off afterwards.

March 21st—Weekly stats where we place in the
    30 team league.

Goals Against–198, We are in 14th
    place. Last week we were in 16th place.

Total Points—–79, We
    are tied with Ottawa in 15th place, Last week we were in 16th place.

Goals
    For——-196, We are in 15th place. Last week we were in 10th place.

Goal
    production seems to be our weak link lately. Compared to the 30 teams,
    we are right in the middle of them. When Camilarie and MAB get back we
    should boost by a goal a game.

58. SeriousFan09 says:

There are still aren’t any free points and the team should compete better against the lower teams. I agree the rivalry for our side seems to have watered down as far as the team is concerned, but they should approach the bottom 3rd of the league like they’re a bunch of hacks that are easily knocked over. the team would own the division already if they had not taken so many low teams for granted this year.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

59. ooder says:

I agree that it is annoying. But the thing is, the habs haven’t seen the leafs in the playoffs for so long now.

this rivalry is practically non existant because no one on the habs side really cares about it.

While the habs have moved on by trying to be succesful in the playoffs, the leafs are still mired in thier “rebuilding” phase and have nothing else to look forward to.

——————

60. SeriousFan09 says:

The complaint is we’ve seen them play with more heart and will against Anaheim and LA, sunbelt squads than we have seen them play against the team they’ve had a rivalry with since the two clubs first competed. Leafs and Habs should be knock down drag out fights with both teams killing themselves to win. Leafs do, Habs don’t and it’s becoming a very annoying pattern, especially considering the Leafs haven’t even see the playoffs since the lockout and are generally a crap team. We should be above .500 with these jokers and it’s becoming irritating.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

61. ooder says:

btw for those fans that accuse of our team of being “heartless” and not caring about the game…

please go watch the rangers play…

a team that has been pretty much healthy all season long, fighting for a playoff spot and put in one of the worst performances i have ever seen

——————

62. ooder says:

and Prospal’s spray on tan

——————

63. CaliforniaHabsFan says:

Huge win for Boston

64. twilighthours says:

Really bad reaction by Rask on NYR first goal.  What a poor teammate!

65. Psycho29 says:

The Rangers look like all they care about is their big paycheques at the end of the day…

66. Cookies says:

Simply because it is more likely to land Gagner than Crosby.

Who in Montreal wouldn’t think of having Crosby on the team? Or Iginla, Datsyuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, Toews, Doughty, Cammalleri, Markov…??

Oh wait, we have the last 2 mentioned. Superstar caliber players are great to admire and try to attain.

Gagner on the other hand, can probably be a surprise pick-up a la… wait for it… (your boy) Pouliot!

67. Nick_Habs1 says:

He was a Habs fan growing up….so ya it does make sense.

68. Born in a Bad Year says:

Anybody else watching on NBC noticing that in the Crosby Reebok ads with him shooting pucks into a dryer, there is a lot more Habs stuff around than Penguins stuff?

Subtext anyone?

69. mrhabby says:

cbc…really going all out with the marlies sad , really sad.

70. Bugs says:

I hope this huge game for Ottawa serves as a perfect tableau for the huge humiliation they’re about to endure as we whup their butts what good and take those Ontario bastiches for 3 outta 4 pts in 48 hrs.

…huge game for Ottawer…who they puttin in net, goofy or pluto? do us a favour, why dontcheh.

Scum-begs.

71. ooder says:

let’s hope our habs finally beat the senators tomorrow.

I don’t want to see their losing streak end at the expense of our habs.

Also, the Rangers have got to be one of the most pathetic teams “fighting” for a playoff spot.

——————

72. Bugs says:

Why not think of Crosby instead?

73. Psycho29 says:

Since when does CBC, our National broadcaster show Toronto Marlies’ games coast to coast?????? They are showing them live this afternoon….

I just tuned in to see Healy, Hrudey and Freidman interviewing Johnny Bower. Freidman told Bower that hockey fans need to see color pictures of a leaf with the Stanley Cup, not black and white photos like 1967….

74. Cookies says:

Anyone ever thought of probably having Sam Gagner as a Canadien??