Unlikely hero Neil pulls Senators even with Rangers

Chris Neil

Overtime hero Chris Neil (right) celebrates his winner with teammate Nick Foligno, who had sent the game into extra time, Saturday in New York.
Scott Levy, NHLI via Getty Images

Hands up: who had Chris Neil in their overtime pool of those most likely to give the Ottawa Senators a 3-2 win against the New York Rangers on Saturday?

That many, huh?

Well, it was Neil who pulled the trigger at Madison Square Garden, sending the two teams back to Ottawa tied at 1-1 in their Eastern Conference quarterfinal series.

Elsewhere Saturday:

• Nicklas Backstrom scored in double OT to give the Washington Capitals a 2-1 win over the hometown Boston Bruins and a 1-1 tie in that series.
• Blues goalie Jaroslav Halak, who left the game after being splattered by teammate Barret Jackman, combined with replacement Brian Elliott to blank the San Jose Sharks 3-0 in a slugfest in St. Louis, that series now 1-1.
• And Bryan Bickell scored midway through the first OT in Phoenix to lift the Chicago Blackhawks to a 4-3 win over the Coyotes, that series now tied 1-1.

By the way: in Burlington, Vt., Team Canada surrendered a 3-1 lead before beating Team USA 5-4 in overtime at the IIHF women’s world championship, this a week to the day after the Americans plastered Canada 9-2.

1. Habsolutely says:

ok, that was just a SICK goal by Neal!!!!!!

2. EricInStL says:

dring, dring…
    Hello you’ve reached the office of Mr Shanahan. Mr Shanahan is presently on vacation and will be back in October. Please leave a message and he’ll get back to you after fishing season.

3. mrhabby says:

Shanahan get the advil out….christ madness.

4. otter649 says:

Asham also went after Schenn when Briere got hit hard late in the regular season……

5. HabFanSince72 says:

Old time hockey.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

6. naweed235 says:

I am afraid none of the series after the 1st round will be half as exciting as this phili pits one… these guys are literrally ready to murder each other….

7. showey47 says:

asham’s season probably just ended right there.

8. EricInStL says:

The Red Cross should have a booth at the game today, lots of blood will be spilled this afternoon.

9. pmaraw says:

wow asham…. thats the only thing youve done all series….

• habs11s says:

he plays for the penguins so it’ll be called a hockey play, no suspension..

_____________________________________________________________

• pmaraw says:

cross check to the face? i dont think so

• habs11s says:

I keep watching all these terrible headshots and keep thinking to myself that not long ago Bertuzzi was being run out of hockey for his hit on Moore, but the maliciousness of some of the recent hits are very similar to bertuzzi’s frame of mind, it quite embarrassing how discipline has changed since the lockout

_____________________________________________________________

• pmaraw says:

i know, i mean, it was pretty obvious last year when they came up with ‘a hockey play’ for chara on max pac. its almost a relief to not be in the playoffs this year. maybe something will be changed by next season if it gets out of hand enough

10. Habsolutely says:

This game is gonna get downright nasty.

11. habs11s says:

classy move asham….

_____________________________________________________________

12. Fleury has to be the most over rated goalie in the league. He’s worse than Luongo.

People crap on Price, Fleury’s save % in the playoffs has been less than .900 since 2009.

Don’t give me the BS he has won a cup because that year his save % in the playoffs was .908. That’s not stellar, no where close. He didn’t steal any wins.

13. Stev.R says:

I don’t like fighting because I find it barbaric and stupid. But I can understand emotions overflowing and players snapping. I like to see passion, but I don’t like to see cave men pretend to be hockey players.

This PHI/PIT series is awesome. So much emotion and passion.

14. mrhabby says:

Gord miller says so much for the green peace series…..lol.

15. Kimberly2u says:

Cindy up to his antics cause he’s not getting his own way and losing…Crosby should be kicked out

16. gmd says:

Linesman should have let Crosby and Giroux go at it.

• Habsolutely says:

they just went at it and Crosby fed Giroux his lunch.

• ZepFan2 says:

I’ll repeat… after the ref shows up, Crosby throws a punch.

———————————————————————-
        “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• Habsolutely says:

thats not what I just watched. Crosby was saying let’s go with Giroux and Giroux wouldn’t then Crosby was about to fight someone else and Giroux grabbed him and they went at it. Crosby hate must be blinding you.

• ZepFan2 says:

Haha

I don’t hate Crosby.

They were jawing and grabbing at each other. Nothing was happening till the ref showed up.

———————————————————————-
            “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• Habsolutely says:

It’s all good dude. At least you don’t act like a grade three kid and call him “Cindy” or “Crysby”.

• ZepFan2 says:

I wish “Cindy” was on the Habs. :smile:

I just feel after suffering all Year from a concussion, Crosby should not be fighting.

———————————————————————-
            “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• habs11s says:

It wasn’t really a fight, the zebra jumped in there pretty fast

_____________________________________________________________

• gmd says:

That wasn’t exactly a fight.

17. pmaraw says:

crosby getting his hands dirty!

18. EricInStL says:

Giroux just took over this series. I should check the oods as MVP

19. Kimberly2u says:

Time to pull Fleury and put in Johnson

20. EricInStL says:

Took Phily yesterday at 7 to 1 to win the cup, should have taken them earlier….Oh well

21. Trisomy 21 says:

Sounds like there might not be a susp. for Carkner. And you know what, I don’t like Boyle, maybe he got what he deserved but what would the league have done if Carkner decked Richards instead? then it’s a problem? I don’t like that. They should be consistent on who they discipline and injuries should not factor in to their decision in the fact that if they are able to play the rest of the game there will be no supplementary discipline. The league is looking in to the circumstances way too much. What if this was game one that it happened? what if it was Plekanec that this happened to? would it be ok to just let him walk away after getting a sucker punch then too?

• ZepFan2 says:

“what if it was Plekanec that this happened to?”

You do realise that was payback for Boyle repeatedly punching Karlson in the face, right?

Now answer me this. Would Pleckanec do what Boyle did?

———————————————————————-
      “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• pmaraw says:

boyle got what was coming to him big time, karlsson is ranked up there with the best players in the league and is ottawa’s mvp this year. good for carkner for not giving a turd about the instigator penalty

• Trisomy 21 says:

I’m going to go ahead and assume that you either didn’t read what I said or didn’t understand.

So should the mentality be “Oh ok this sucker punch was payback. It’s ok guys, it’s ok.”?

• ZepFan2 says:

I understood perfectly.

Why don’t you answer the question? I gave one to your question.

———————————————————————-
          “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• Trisomy 21 says:

You obviously didn’t if you’re asking that question.

• ZepFan2 says:

I quoted your question and then answered it.

It’s okay if you’ve got no answer to mine.

Edit: I’ll answer it.

No, it wouldn’t happen to Pleckanec because Pleks wouldn’t do to Karlson what Boyle did. There would be no need for payback.

———————————————————————-
            “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• Trisomy 21 says:

A very astute observation, zepfan, but you picked one sentence out of my blurb and took it out of context (and responded like a smart@$$ but that’s besides the fact). Not to mention answering the question was the point I was implying.

I’ll try to make this simple for you to understand, I haven’t got time to spoon feed every word to you.

The league should look at disciplining the players despite the context. They should treat what happened to Boyle the same they would if Carkner hit someone like Plekanec. The situation should not factor into what the action was.
            I also think you should change your name, I feel you are giving Led Zeppelin fans a bad rap.

22. pmaraw says:

Fleury reminds me of Dan Cloutier, or Roberto Luongo

23. slapshot777 says:

Philly has Pittsburgh on the ropes, this is where they need to put the foot down and finish them off.

24. Kimberly2u says:

Pittsburgh is so out of their league with the Flyers and Cindy is still slashing and hitting players

25. EricInStL says:

Take out Fleury just to change things up or else it could get out of hand fast

26. slapshot777 says:

Pittsburgh will be lucky to win a game.

27. EricInStL says:

I could watch Phily vs Pitt for 7 games easy

28. Kimberly2u says:

Fleury is overrated like Luongo

29. slapshot777 says:

What a bad goal Fleurey let in. People were saying that Fleurey was better than Price. Price is way better than Fleurey.

30. Kimberly2u says:

Go Flyers go

31. Trisomy 21 says:

You know those steals that we see other teams get every now and then? like when Ottawa got Turris and Bishop, which were being advertised for some time and were not out of the blue.
    Well how about MTL goes after Justin Schultz, drafted by Anaheim but becomes UFA this summer? take a chance at signing him, nothing to lose.

32. Mattyleg says:

Go Nashville!
    As I’ve said, I liked AK, Gill, and Bouillon when they were here.
    SK, not so much, but whaddayagonnado?
    I’d like to see them go far.

It’s annoying that we have to tolerate the ‘Aren’t-I-Clever’ soapboxers prating on about players that they wanted gone and are now sad that they’re gone, but, once again, whaddayagonnado?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Duracell3 says:

I miss Bouillon but that’s about it.

The others were all at the very least decent and certainly we could have gotten more out of most of them, or at least not had two terrible GM’s get zero return on them.

• joeybarrie says:

Not for AK.
        SK, yes. But PG and Gainey were backed into a corner and everyone in the NHL knew it. That’s the problem with our great media and fan craziness. It gets out and everyone knows we have no choices.
        But to be honest. His 43 points this season and 15-16 minutes per game would make him a player between the 3rd and 2nd line on most NHL teams.
        not exactly worth what we want for him. Which is a 2nd line player. Nashville took all the risk and why would they give a solid 2nd line player for a risky 3rd to 2nd line player.
        we evaluate our outgoing talent too high. And we don’t get back fair value cause the kid couldn’t make it to the bus on time.
        Erik Cole he isn’t… But I know that’s what we think we should have gotten for him.

• Duracell3 says:

I agree AK was close to fair value. It’d be interesting to know if anyone else in the league even would take him, or if PG even tried to shop him around, or if Nashville was the only one, but I don’t think it was at all risky on Nashville’s part.

I not only wouldn’t expect a player back, but why would you even want one? It was clear after the first ten games that this team was clearly not winning anything. Amass picks and forget about sliding into 8th to be destroyed in the first round. Same problem I have with our non-trades of our UFAs that we held onto for no reason in Campoli, Moen, and Darche. Easily replaceable or at least able to be resigned next year, why not get anything at all for them. An 8th round pick in 2019 is better than nothing.

Fortunately we will have a new GM, who can’t do any worse than the last one.

• Aybara says:

They are looking good. I was half watching the game and didn’t see much of AK. SK though, what a beaut to ice it.

I think SK was really mishandled here in MTL. He like many young guys was a little caught up in his own head, but our management needs to be able to address that. Public punishment through benching and the practice incident doesn’t do much for those personalities and likely makes them rebel even more.

33. EricInStL says:

Any predictions for Pitt vs Phi ?

Phi 5-3

34. mark_ID says:

For anyone who is interested in baseball in the Ottawa area…..my friend challenged Jose(will do anything) Canseco to a homerun derby which is taking place on may 12th at the Ottawa stadium. Should be a blast.

“Step off George”

35. alfieturcotte says:

Here is a “surprise” — AK46 and SK74 are good. Hmm, who did we get for SK74 again? And for AK46, a 2nd rounder who just might, possibly, perhaps, maybe….. one day make it to the NHL and become a 20-25 goal scorer. Oh yeah, that was what we had in AK46, except Gainey, Gauthier, JM, and RC did not see fit to utilize him more effectively.

The league seems filled with Habs “castoffs” and we got little to nothing in return for them. Such poor management.

• Mark C says:

Huh. Never heard this before.

• Stev.R says:

We got all we could for them. It’s hard to get good return for players who wouldn’t put in an effort every night.

• joeybarrie says:

AK is a .6 point per game player. He is currently that in Nashville, was on the Habs, and has been throughout his career.
      What did you expect to get for an underperforming .6 point per game player who is about to become an UFA?
      Did you expect Radulov? They knew he was coming back. Did you expect Weber?
      Or maybe they should have gotten Edmonton’s first???
      AK was not the key to their playoff hopes. Gill was more important and Radulov was a big key. AK will help, but he is being played the same. 12 minutes one game 19 minutes another. Same story different team.
      lets not fool ourselves.

• otter649 says:

Good for SK74 scoring his first career playoff goal today as a Pred………

• Rugger says:

Pretty sure SK and AK scored back to back against the Bruins in a series a few years ago. I think it was a game 1. Checked it, he got 3 goals for the Habs in 2008.

36. EricInStL says:

Quiet Riot !!!!!

37. C-Sword says:

Sergei! Sergei!

38. Aybara says:

In reference to everyone talking about toughness in the NHL, I agree with Mattyleg.

Specifically, I want to talk about the Carkner incident last night. That is not good tough hockey. That was an assault. Fights between two willing combatants is all good in my books, but you can’t just jump a guy. Boyle had his hands at his side and was shrugging when Carkner sucker punched Boyle in the face, dropping him, and then proceeded to fill him while Carkner sat on top of him. That is not what fighting is for, that is street retribution and it has no place in the NHL.

I would contend that Carkner should actually get supplemental discipline (I can hear the howls of the neanderthals already) on that play. It was an intent to injure plain and simple based on the previous nights actions (on Karlsson). Calling this good toughness is wildly inaccurate imo.

We all are quick to condemn other sucker punches, so why is this one getting extolled as sending a good message, oo rah, he’s standing up for his teammates? It was a plain dirty play to get back at Boyle. I agree that he deserved to get his just deserts, but that should be done either in a willing fight, or through a clean hit. The type of action Carkner took is dangerous and slimy.

I want the Habs to have toughness, they clearly need it. What I don’t want is Habs players hunting those on other teams outside of the rules of the game.

• Duracell3 says:

Just as soon as Marchand gets any discipline whatsoever for punching someone six times in the face while he just stands there. Crosschecking someone in the face after a whistle isn’t even considered “outside the rules of the game” in the playoffs.

But this is the NHL, so they just make it a wash and give them both the same penalty.

This league is a joke in the playoffs, nothing new here.

And as you can see this year, it’s obvious at least half the teams want to be the Bruins 2.0. If the Habs want to win, they’ll probably take note. I won’t be watching though.

• ZepFan2 says:

I disagree. It was payback for Boyle repeatedly punching Karlson in the face. Carkner was just giving Boyle a taste of his own medicine…sans gloves. :smile:

Sometimes you reap what you sow.

———————————————————————-
      “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• Mr. Biter says:

If the league won’t protect the skill players their teamates have to send a reminder to the aggressors that they will.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• EricInStL says:

crap you wrote it before me….

• Aybara says:

If you read it again, I note that it was in retaliation for the previous nights antics. I’m assuming from the smiley face you are speaking a little tongue in cheek. No one deserves a sucker punch unless they go out of their way to hurt someone, ala Chara/Patch.

Even then, sucker punches are dangerous and should have no part in hockey The league needs to discipline the extreme attacks. Otherwise we are just going to end up with more injuries.

• Duracell3 says:

But that is the thing, the league doesn’t discipline anyone. This isn’t new. Why at this point would you even expect them to start? The best players are missing years, and they don’t care at all as evidenced by the fact they continually allow it.

• Aybara says:

I agree they won’t, but the Boyle/Karlsson incident wasn’t extreme. There were legal ways to send a message to Karlsson. The response, on the other hand, was extreme. Police yourselves, by all means, but do it within the rules. If someone acts outside the rules, there are means within the rules to exact revenge. Just because it is possible to act outside the rules doesn’t mean one should do so.

• ZepFan2 says:

Let me put it this way.

If Carkner and Neil were on the Habs and Boyle did that to PK, wouldn’t you want either of those two guys do something about it?

Boyle didn’t want any part of Carkner…too bad. I wish Laraque would have done the same thing to Lucic when he declined Laraque’s invitation to dance. If anybody deserves a sucker punch, it’s Lucic…and Marchand.

———————————————————————-
          “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

• Aybara says:

I would, but I wouldn’t want them to jump him like that. Drop him in a willing fight, or if he won’t go, line him up and give him a bone crunching, clean, hit.

• otter649 says:

Carkner was giving Boyle love taps or else Boyle would have been a mess……..

• EricInStL says:

Hey didn’t Boyle Marchand Karlsson ?

So basically Carkner righted the wrond of the first game by going after Boyle and giving him the business. No problem there. Am I a Neandderthal ? Maybe, but an eye for an eye right ?

If you don’t you are the Buffalo Sabres….and they are not in the playoffs right ?

• Aybara says:

This was an escalation though. He righted the wrong, and then added a dollop of flax you on top of it. The point is that the play on Karlsson was bad and cheap, but it wasn’t dangerous. It also happens all the time and usually, except in the case of the Bruins, gets called.

The response of Carkner goes beyond the pail and is dangerous. Concussions can occur from getting cold cocked both from being unprepared for the initial impact, and the subsequent fall to the ice. I have no problem ,as I point out above, when there is a fight between two willing partners or a good hit. When people are caught unsuspecting that is cheap and dangerous. Furthermore, toughness is not beating the snot out of some unsuspecting soul.

This wasn’t an eye for an eye, it was an eye for two eyes.

• EricInStL says:

he obviously UFC his ass, but if the game gets out of hand in Ottawa, there will be payback. Ratings baby……

Hey it’s the NHL nothing is as it’s supposed to be unfortunately.

• Aybara says:

It is a shame. Luckily Carkner might get some sup dip, so at least they viewed it as overly aggressive.
            Don’t get me started on the Dubinsky tradeoff for the non-fight though. :D

• ZepFan2 says:

“He righted the wrong, and then added a dollop of flax you on top of it.”

He just made sure Boyle got the message loud and clear.

———————————————————————-
          “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

39. Mr. Biter says:

Good article on Fox Sports on yesterday’s Ottawa/Rangers game and the need for Toughness in the NHL.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

40. slapshot777 says:

If this is the end of the line for Nashville that would be good for us.

41. EricInStL says:

Nashville dodges a bullet

42. EricInStL says:

if it counts it`s the end of the series for Nashville

43. ZepFan2 says:

Slick move by Datsyuk.

———————————————————————-
    “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

44. Mark C says:

A goalie beaten high glove side while dropping down too early, thought that only happened to Price?

45. NCRhabsfan says:

What a joke the NHL has become. It’s the wild west out there. Bad players targeting good players with elbow hits to the head, guys going after goalies. It’s worse than roller derby. In the third period of most games you could commit murder and not get a minor penalty. Why bother with referees at all? A league discipline office that seems to be purposely inconsistent, almost as if they are trying to create a wild west mentality. If you’re a skilled player why would you want to play with this bunch of unrestrained animals. BOO HISS!!!

Thank goodness the world hockey championships start soon. There will actually be some hockey played there.

• gmur says:

Couldn’t agree more. Last year watched the Sedins repeatedly getting mugged after the whistle by the Bruins in what is supposed to be the showcase for hockey. This year Daniel didn’t even make it to the playoffs.

When Todd Bertuzzi has to settle things with Weber for the assault on Zetterberg on by dropping the gloves, you know the Neanderthal Hockey League is scraping its knuckles on the ice once again.

46. HabFab says:

- Lars Eller (Denmark), Tomas Plekanec (Czech Republic), Alexei Emelin (Russia), P.K. Subban (Canada) and Max Pacioretty (United States) will be lacing up to represent their respective countries at the World Hockey Championships, taking place at the beginning of May in Finland and Sweden.
    Off the Habs web site, answered questioned about Emelin playing or not. Sorry if already posted.

• HardHabits says:

At least somebody is reporting some Habs news here. Keep up the good work HF or should I say… W5. ;-)

• rhino514 says:

Nokkelainen will also be playing. Why does everybody forget about him?
      Of all the guys we had on the fourth line all year, this guy was actually a decent fourth liner. Deserved more playing time IMO.
      everyone dismisses him for next year and talks about how exciting it will be to have guys like Staubitz and Blunden, who are muscle bound but can´t play hockey. Don´t get this at all.

47. C-Sword says:

Never seen AK46 stand in front of the net like that, great play that led to Weber’s goal!

48. habsfan0 says:

Prominent banking and brewing magnate Harry Markland Molson perished on board the Titanic 100 years ago today.

Was he Geoff Molson’s great-grandfather?

49. habstrinifan says:

Habfab posted a list of prospects to watch in the Memorial Cup playoffs.

Among them are the defense prospects Tinordi, Bealieu and Ellis.

Am I right in postulating that most posters agree that the HABS need the following help … maybe two high-quality forwards and two stay at home d-men.

Also assuming that they should spend their money (and some say 3rd overall pick) to fill out the forward needs because ‘star’ forwards are more expensive than the type of stay at home 4th 5th defensemen they may need.

How about this as a plan for summer/early months of the season.

Get the forwards. Thru whatever means they can and at whatever money they can afford.

Then get one of those stay-at-home type D(big steady etc etc) as a UFA relatively cheaply..say up to $1.5 mill. I had posted a list earlier with names like Carkner(UFA making 700.00 now) and Brookbank(ufa making 750.00 now).

Then looking at our top 3 defense prospects (unless there are others I am missing) Tinordi best has the size that we need.

So in training camp you have two questions on defense… is Markov 100% back and where to get the second stay at home guy.

I say you spend the entire training camp using Markov-Tinordi as a pairing with specific coaching and observation being concentrated on Tinordi.

Then who knows… you may be able to start the season with a Markov-Tinordi pairing without blowing the dough/assets you need to get a couple of big time forwards which would be harder to decide on I would think.

So you start the season wih Subban-Gorges, Markov-Tinordi,Emelin-’other new guy’. You throw in one or two of the fringe defenders we now have and PRESTO you have a nice defence corps. If Tinordi (or indeed Markov) dont work out then you would surely have your answer and could start on plan B with less guesswork.

Note I am not the only one suggesting this re Tinordi.Momesso is also saying throwing Tinordi into the fray… unless he is really really too far behind in his ‘development’. I agree with Momesso. The type of defense that you want and expect from Tinordi, and the type of payer he is, is different that what you would have been looking for from say a Subban or a Beaulieu… so his development curve could be less a risk (in the NHL) than if you did the same with Beaulieu for example.

• HabFab says:

Players have to earn or seize a spot on a team. Don’t believe any of these three will be ready for a year or two.Tinordi needs more time to grow into his big body IMO.

• Mark C says:

Yeah, I would be shocked if Tinordi was ready NHL ready. He needs to be given 20+ minutes a night in the AHL first. I thought the idea was to become a long-term Cup contender, not rush 20-year-old defensemen to the NHL?

I hope HIO writers don’t get paid during the summer. This was some article above.

• issie74 says:

Got that right! Call me crazy but I have watched Tinordi and Beaulieu and I am looking forward to the day I see them in Habs sweaters.I haven’t yet seen Ellis but by all accounts I have read about his play in Shawinigan, the Habs like him enough to sign him to a three year contract,just months ago .

Let’s not sell the farm.

NorthTOHab

51. Shane1313 says:

Reading a lot of talk today..
    I think one thing is very apparent after yesterday. Every team needs to have toughness. That doesn’t mean pure goons, but enough guys that will stand there ground. It’s been insanely physical, Hagelin and Burns hits were both dirty, Carkner assault was bad too.

It’s fun to see intensity like that, but I hope a couple things are dished out. I always bring it back to the habs. It’ll be important to keep Whitey and Staubitz and Moen will help and maybe add a tough guy on the back end. I think whether we like it or not games will have some brawls and guys will take liberties and it’s up to us to stop it, no one else is, unfortunately.

52. JUST ME says:

Initially when it was clear that the Sens would meet the Rangers i tought that it was the perfect fit and that they did have a chance. I still remain logical but if the Sens can contain the Rangers in their own zone they have a chance.With the Rangers the puck moves fast and if the Sens are too nervous about it then it can turn ugly and of course if they give away too many power play then they are playing with fire.

As for the rest of the series it sure does not go as i thought it would
    4 goals in two games Bruins-Caps ?
    No defense at all Flyers- Penguins ?
    L.A. taking a 2 game advantage ?
    Red Wings-Preds exciting match up … Well maybe a bit…

I guess that this is the beauty of playoff hockey !

53. issie74 says:

Mr Shanahan ,has a lot of work to do on this Sunday.

The league let Boston do all these things and not have to pay the price,now all clubs are saying we will take care of our own.

Way to go NHL.

NorthTOHab

• HardHabits says:

Then watch as the Habs bulk up in a few years after having enough of getting their asses handed to them and with all the rules in place and proper enforcement a la IIHF it will be the small, speedy and skilled teams that succeed.

Oh the irony.

BTW. I am being sarcastic. That is NHL hockey. Always has been that way come play-off time. Always will be.

• issie74 says:

I will be watching with great interest,always have always will.

NorthTOHab

• Les Canayens says:

It actually happened after the Ducks won the Cup and every team copied their tough style, then things changed when 3 skilled teams won, until the Bruins changed it again.

• HardHabits says:

Each of those 3 skilled teams had toughness. And the Bruins have skill. The Ducks had plenty of skill too. The Sens lacked the required toughness. The Canucks as well. The Flyers lacked the skill. They had it, but not as much as the Hawks did. But the Hawks were tough. Both the Pens and Wings are skilled teams. Neither is considered soft though.

The Habs on the other hand tried the small skilled route and figured out that not only were they at a disadvantage in the toughness department, in other words they were consistently getting mauled out there with the end result being more players getting injured, but they also weren’t any more skilled than most other teams, in other words they lack enough of both elements to compete. The best teams have it all. Size, grit, speed, skill, good goal tending too.

The Habs last season had one line, one defence pairing and a goalie. It’s no wonder they finished 28th.

• Les Canayens says:

It’s hard to imagine the current Habs roster surviving in any of the 1st round toughness.

54. DorvalTony says:

Unlikely??? I picked him. It’s often players like Neil, Mario Tremblay, Yvon Lambert, Jim Roberts who get it done in OT. Strange headline.

Thanks for listening, Geoff Molson.

55. LafleurGuy says:

Overheard at NHL Head Office, Headshots Division:

Bettmann: “Think you blew that one Brennybro’ (term of endearment). If you had suspended Weber, there would have been more than 25 hundred to divvy up.”

Shanahan: “Sorry Betts (term of derision as in all bets are off in the Coyotes leaving Phoenix saga). Some days I can’t tell my ass from my head, or the players’ for that matter.”

“May you live in interesting times.”

• gmur says:

I haven’t followed the comments for a week or so, and I’m sure this has been covered, but what a blown decision by the NHL in not suspending Weber. Taking someone’s head and pounding it into any obstacle on the ice is criminal assault. While there have been varying degrees of injury when a player does this (Bertuzzi on Moore, Chara on Pacioretty, Claude Lemieux on Draper are the most extreme examples) the gesture in itself should be penalized severely, point final. I can’t think of another act that is more reprehensible, other than kicking someone with your skate or hitting a player’s head with your stick.

The Shanahan charade as NHL disciplinarian is now official.

56. HabFab says:

Hamilton Bull Dogs play their last game today. They too will finish down towards the bottom of the AHL. In addition to having to cover off all the injuries Montreal had, they also had their share. In fact two players missed all season with training camp injuries and only two players have not missed a game this season. They dressed a total of 39 players. Only 10 Hab prospects including Louis Leblanc are under contract to return next season.

• Chrisadiens says:

Lots of work to be done for the new GM. Our junior prospects will make the jump to the A next year though. In my (dumb) opinion, the Dogs should be cup favorites. Dad and I will be attending some Dog’s games if they venture down to the upstate NY area. Future looks bright…although it can’t get much worse right?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

57. HabFab says:

Hab Prospects playing towards the Memorial Cup;

Beaulieu 2+6 in 8GP – team advances to next round
    Tinordi 2+3 in 10GP – team advances to next round
    Holland 2+8 in 8GP – team leads 3-2
    Bournival 1+6 in 9GP – team leads 3-2
    Ellis 4+7 in 9GP – team leads 3-2

Bournival & Ellis have a bye into the Memorial Cup as host team.

58. Mattyleg says:

Morning everyone,
    Half-watched the snoozefest yesterday afternoon… what a waste of ice-time that could have been given over to little kids, or just… letting the ice relax on its own.

Didn’t catch the other games, but the highlights looked pretty wild!

Little note to Hobie…
    Just want to clarify my position on fighting in hockey, in case you’re lumping me in with your attack on ‘whiners’, because people often get an idea in their heads on this site and attribute attitudes and opinions to people regardless of whether they actually hold them or not. -not saying you’re doing that, this is just in case, because I’ve been called an anti-fighter or whatever before for some reason.

I like fighting in hockey. I think there’s a place for it, especially when it’s between players who are working hard to win, and hate each other. THAT’S good stuff. That comes as a result of play and competition.

I HATE goons that chase players after clean but hard hits. I HATE pre-arraged fights between otherwise-useless thugs who feel they have to drop the gloves against the opposing cement-head to justify their salaries.

Chris Nilan was appalled at people who wished each other luck or said ‘good fight’ or whatever to each other afterwards. He said that every player he played against, he hated. THAT’S why he fought with them, and that’s what happens in playoff hockey. Teams want to win badly, and grudges build.

I have no problem with having a tough fourth line; I think it’s essential. I do have a problem with signing a goon that only fights other meatheads because it makes us ‘tougher’. Players like Chris Neil are rare, and just as useful as the top sniper on the team. Wish we had a couple of them.

Hope that makes my position clear.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• LA Loyalist says:

Matty I think your position is fairly reasonable, the problem is that the situations happen suddenly are often quite gray, and HIO posters mostly own only two cans of paint: black, and white.

One of my worst moments as a Habs fan was years ago when Doug Gilmour played for us and there was a game in Buffalo where some Sabre ran Theodore, badly, and no one stood up for Theodore except 170 lb (on a good day) Doug Gilmour.

As for Nilan being stunned at the “Good luck” / “Good fight” protocol, the movie “GOON” satirizes that brilliantly as the goon character is as polite as a foreign diplomat. It’s hilarious but makes Nilan’s point.

Yeah I know it didn’t work out, but if Laraque hadn’t gone vegan on us things could have been a lot different around here the last few years. Gainey hired him, knowing damn well he was necessary.

By the way I now have some respect for Ottawa, up until last night I thought they had as few stones as us.

• ont fan says:

I’m with you Matty..watching a goon fest doesn’t keep me watching. You can see which way we have to go in the future. Almost every series has the that element in it now. Everyone goes crazy when it’s their star player getting Gooned though.Patches for instance. Chara did what people want, but if it’s our player, oh the travesty. I suppose if someone beats up Chara and Max is out for a year all is well.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Matty,

I love coming on this site and debating topics with all you guys but to tell you the truth I’ve had half dozen or so people on this site line up to disagree with me anytime I’ve suggested the Habs get tougher.

I was beside myself when people were happy with Yanick Weber playing on the 4th line with Darche and whoever else. It was a joke!

A big part of hockey is momentum and confidence and if you’re getting pushed around and beaten up night after night, something is seriously wrong with your team and GM..

After getting rouged up last year and not signing a tough defenseman and a couple prototypical 4th liners was a massive mistake.

People were allover me for suggesting we sign a couple guys like Mike Rupp or Konopka for the 4th line. The 4th line as a whole is an important component of every good team and ours sucked.

Guaranteed Staubitz will be back and the new GM is going to make a couple moves to toughen this team up. The last two years have been a joke around here.

• Mattyleg says:

Well expressed, but the whole ‘we’ve been a joke’ rubs me seriously the wrong way. I don’t think that is true necessarily, but I also agree that we needed some toughness. On paper, we had most of what we needed at the beginning of last season. Hal Gill was a good big defenseman for tying people up and clearing the front of the net, while Ryan White was going to provide some grit with Nokaleinen and Moen.

Gill couldn’t do it all on his own, White was injured, Nokaleinen was a bust, and Moen got injured. Add that to the fact that our coach didn’t know how to promote a physical game, and we ended up with the season we had.

As for Staubitz being back, I’m not as certain as you are.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Shane1313 says:

Well said for sure. *All around

59. Newf_Habster says:

There were at least four head shots in the games last night and it was not good. And, the officiating has been awful since the start of playoffs.

60. habstrinifan says:

I grant, to some, that the past season was in some ways an abnomaly. And spreadsheets of statistical data can be drawn up to support theories of ‘bad-luck’, ‘bad-bounces’ ‘injuries’ ‘fluke misfortune’ etc.

However!

In my project analysis days I learned from experience to give more thrift to what is a surer method for success than the vagaries of Fate (business cycles in this case).

Forensic analysis of results and deliberate planning/procurement that would change the factors in your strategic spreadsheets.

This was the main reason why the HABS season went as bad. The powers that be did nothing to change the factors used to forecast results and improve the ratio for success

We are seeing the same thing being played out again in the playoffs. Why is the Vancouver Canucks, despite their elite standing in the league, such a tentative pick subject to armchair mockery.

They like the Canadiens DID NOT change the important factors.

Not fate. Not luck. Just bad planning for ultimate success.

• LA Loyalist says:

“Abnomaly”? Is that an abnormal anomaly? That’s a) hilarious and b) WAY over the heads of your average CEGEP student (aka HIO poster).

If it’s just that you can’t spell, please don’t tell me. I like it too well.

61. Hobie Hansen says:

The only thing I love about watching the Bruins is Rene Rancourt! That guy is all class.

62. ont fan says:

Simple..concus a player, you’re out til the player comes back.

63. sreuel says:

What Boone no attack on Cherry

64. HabFanSince72 says:

In a seven game series does it make any sense at all not to try to concuss your opponent’s best player? Send out a minor player to concuss say an Daniel Alfredsson or a Mike Smith. Defend the 5 min major – maybe even give up a goal. In the long run it’s a good investment.

Any team that fails to use this tactic is not giving itself the best shot at winning.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Kooch7800 says:

are you being sarcastic?

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Chrisadiens says:

Worked for the Bruins last year. And they didn’t even get a suspension.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Players in the NFL try and injure the other teams’ best players in every game…

The defensive players hitting the quarterback are trying to drive him into the ground, concuss or injure him on every shot they get.

• Mattyleg says:

A well-timed stick to the eye is also an effective way of eliminating pesky ‘skill’ players.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habstrinifan says:

The ultimate goal is to win. If the referees allow illegal tactics by opponents in their quest to WIN… then it is best you adopt any tactics that will help you respond and WIN.

I don’t know if you are being sarcastic. But failing proper refereeing, your strategy is the only SANE one…. unless you place a different emphasis than WINNING on why you are playing.

• boing007 says:

If all the best players were targetted and put out of action because of cheap shots and the like the quality of play would most likely go down the drain.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• RGM says:

Ya think? Who knows, maybe a game comprised of nothing but the Hagelins and Neils of the NHL would be stellar hockey…old time, boy doncha know? Beauty!

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

65. Hobie Hansen says:

That Sens’ and Rangers game was a treat to watch! Now that is hockey!

I thought there was no fighting in hockey anymore? I thought teams never fought in the playoffs and that the Canadiens don’t need tough guys on the 4th line?

I thought Konopka, Neil and Carkner were useless?

Konopka gets the assist on the game tying goal and does a great job hammering Richards to the ice and putting him in a headlock, throwing him right off his game.

Carkner’s beating on Boyle was awesome and he took Dubinsky out of the game with him! Sent a huge message!

Then Neil beats up Boyle again and scores thew OT winner!

This HIO site has been full of a bunch of whiners complaining about fighting in hockey and that Montreal doesn’t need tough players on their forth line because they’re not important players.

That is the furthest thing from the truth! Konopka and Carkner are both free agents and I hope Montreal signs both of them.

A 4th line of Staubitz, White and Konopka would be perfect and Carkner as our 6th or 7th defenseman is exactly what we need.

Good job last night Sens!

• Kooch7800 says:

It was a crazy game. I respected what Carkner did to Boyle cause of his antics in the previous came with Karlson. Boyle had to pay for his actions and it really fired up the sens.

Now if only the Caps had someone to do that to Marchand. He is playing so dirty with the stick and never gets called….would love to see him get his just deserts

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Hobie Hansen says:

The Bruins didn’t get a free pass this year. Teams took note of how Boston won the cup last year with a lot of size and toughness.

The Rangers, Flyers,Sens and even the Penguins are pretty tough teams.

The Caps have their share of size and toughness with Ovechkin’s ability to crush people and guys like Laich, Hendricks, Brouwer and Chimera but are still a step down from the Bruins.

• JayBee says:

Remember in the offseason some of us wanted Konopka? The koolaid sippers said he would bring nothing to the team. LOL

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah! Konopka was amazing this year in Ottawa!
        He played 55 whole games, and dished out 54 hits!!
        He got a ton of penalty minutes! That’s awesome!
        3 goals and 2 assists! Wonderful.
        Yep, we sure were foolish not to take your advice and pick up that thoroughbred.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Hobie Hansen says:

Konopka is a solid 4th line player. Who cares how many games, hits or points he had. That means nothing.

He is there to punch people in the face, PERIOD! He is there to punish people who harass his teams’ star players or try and change the momentum with a timely fight.

If you don’t think he can be a valuable asset I’m not sure if you know anything about the game of hockey? Not trying to be rude.

The coach and every player on his team loves him and wants him in the lineup.

• Mattyleg says:

All I know about hockey, Hobie, is that you have to hit the coloured ball through the little white hoops.

Not trying to be rude or anything.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• LA Loyalist says:

Not that I’m flogging “GOON”, but that’s the entire plot of the film. Worth seeing and discussing.

• boing007 says:

Cold, hard stats can be deceptive. They cannot tell us everything about a player’s contribution to his team’s successes or failures.
          Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• ont fan says:

Sorrry, old time hockey between Ottawa and NY, not for me. Give me Pitts. and Philly. Young guys playing tough hockey. Speed and hard hitting. No scrums after every whistle.

66. JayBee says:

Denis Savard as coach?

67. Strummer says:

Fox News Sunday or Meet The Press?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

68. LafleurGuy says:

Lots of heated action in Senators v. Rangers. A concussed thought just popped up. It is very logical that a penalty shot is called when a breakaway is defended by a tripping/hooking foul (soccer/basketball term), less intuitive when awarded for “closing hand on the puck in the crease.” If these mostly non-violent fouls deserve a penalty shot, then in addition to ejecting offenders for intent to injure penalties, a penalty shot should be awarded. The ineptitude of league head office to lessen the numbers of “elbows to head,” and similar dirty plays is quite clear (Alfredson may join Daniel Sedin and all the Canadiens in being spectators of this years playoffs). Someone should tally up all the monies obtained by fines given players this year and realize that these funds are bonus monies to line the pockets of Gary Bettmann and his cronies (what do you think of that James Wisniewski?). Sort of like “lets disburse $30 million to lawyers to figure out if Robert Pickton was guilty of one or more crimes.” The outside-the-box use of the penalty shot to try to lessen the prolific number of intentional head injuries will, if in accomplishing nothing else will decrease cashflow to the NHL “head” office. The NHLPA should think about this. And afterall, isn’t the penalty shot ultimately used in determining the winner of tied games in the regular season? It is nicely disguised by semantically calling it a “shootout.”

“May you live in interesting times.”

69. voyageur9 says:

And because idle speculation and wishful thinking is all that’s left for Habs fans this season:

Would an early playoff exit convince Sid that the Pens (who mishandled his concussion) aren’t really the dream team of his UFA future?

70. Cal says:

It really looks like this site is in Summer Vacation mode. It’s going to be a looooooooooooong summer.

71. habstrinifan says:

If the prevailing wisdom turns out to be true and Vigneault would lose his job if the Canucks lose then I am beginning to get worried.

The Canucks WILL LOSE.

And he may end up in Montreal.

This would not be a good thing. Just as it wont be a good thing if Boucher ends up in Montreal anymore.

Habs need a break from their type of coaching. I would prefer Roy over either of them now.

• Habfan10912 says:

Oh boy. I’m still in GM search mode and can’t even think about next coach until the team has one in place. Its got to be a good match between GM and coach so Roy would need a certain GM in place so they’d play well together. I am warming up to Patrick though even though I’d prefer a coach with experience. Maybe Roy with Robinson as an assistant? Oh crap, now you got me thinking about a coach. Thanks buddy! :)

• habstrinifan says:

If Roy becomes head coach and AGREES(picks) Robinson as his assistant then you can go to bed with a HUGE smile. It would mean that Roy would be showing amazing maturity and less ‘power’ personality than he is suspected for. WOW a Roy/Robinson tandem.

Unfortunately any rumours concerning Roy has him already having picked two qjmhl guys as assistant.

I dont think Roy is in the picture any longer anyways. I believe the reports that he asked for Carte blanche. In fact I think it may have been this demand he made in direct ‘negotiations’ with Geoff Molson which prompted Molson to ask for Savard’s advice and full time assistant.

Also notice the French media drooling over Roy has died down. As I posted before, I dont think he is in the list for either of the jobs.

I was just musing today when I said I would take him over Vigneault or Boucher. I want HABS to have a ‘different’ type coach than either of them.

• Cal says:

Speculating about a coach before the GM is hired is putting the cart before the horse.
      Saying Vigneault is no good or not a good fit after he took the Nucks to the finals is just weird. No logic to it. Then to keep insisting that a coach from the Q is better because of his “type of coaching” is again, weird.
      Until I see Roy coach men and not boys the jury will be out.
      Brian Kilrea was a fantastic coach of the Ottawa 67s. It didn’t make him an NHL coach and he realized this and stayed where he was.

• habstrinifan says:

My post is purely a subjective view. I am saying that I wont be happy if Vigneault or Boucher moves to MTL. Dont think they bring what the HABS needs in their ‘new direction’. Only my opinion… nothing else. As for Roy a close reading ofall my posts should reveal that I am in no way a fan of him being our coach.

Bottom line I would not want any ONE OF THEM as our new coach.
        Well to be fair if any one of them brings Robinson on board I would change my mind.

• habstrinifan says:

JM took the HABS to the Eastern Semis…. just saying!

72. smiler2729 says:

This has been a pretty awesome first round so far, every series is intense except Boston-Washington. The interest level on that one is non-existent.

It seems like ’80s hockey is back with high scoring and brawling.

One thing though, as for the refereeing, why if it’s called in the first period in an October game is it NOT called in the third period or OT of a playoff game?

The refs suck…
    _______________________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are gutless weasel pukes.

• Habfan10912 says:

Funny huh Smiler? For two overtime games that series is the least exciting of them all. Maybe Washington just played two really good road games. That said, I did enjoy the Bruins loss.

• The Cat says:

Too many penalties ruin the proper simmering of a game. I cant understand how fans find a team setting up shop in the other teams end, passing the puck around to be entertaining. It should be playoff-like refereeing all the time: call the dangerous stuff, but nevermind the ‘slightly-grabbing-the-other-guy’s-arm-holding’ type of penalties.

73. Habfan10912 says:

Isn’t Chris Neil one of those guys who you just hate unless he was on your team?

• smiler2729 says:

Exactly! I’ve been hoping he ends up as a Hab for about 7 years now.

_______________________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are gutless weasel pukes.

• habstrinifan says:

Exactly!

Actually he isnt ‘hateable’ in my eyes even on other teams. As a fan you fear him but he isnt as cheapshot an artist as Pronger or a real chirper.

He is plain upfront mean and nasty for his teammates.

The guy is huge mean and a good hockey player

Was hoping we pried him from Ottawa last summe or whenever they were chnging their lineup.

• Habfan10912 says:

If Ryan White was a bit heavier……… sigh. Maybe we can get White to hang this summer with ARod, Tiger, Clemmens, Maguire and other successful steroid users. :)

• LafleurGuy says:

Pierre Maguire uses steroids?!!!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• habstrinifan says:

He doesnt. He just has connections and stories that he can share and delve into re EVERY steroid dealer in the hemisphere.

Just another reason why he will make a great GM. He’s got connections.

• Habfan10912 says:

Oh boy Guy. Now I’ve gone and done it. Hope this rumor doesn’t impact his chance at Habs GM job (not).

• Chrisadiens says:

Of course he uses PEDs…he’s a “monster”!

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Strummer says:

The list is long of players you hate unless they were on your team.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

74. Chrisadiens says:

Great day of playoff hockey ahead of us. A quadruple header. Screw the outdoors and nice weather, I’ll take the couch today. I’m most excited for the pens/philly game, as I’m sure most are. I say Philly wins this game today to take a commanding lead in the series. Fleury’s confidence has to be in the toilet.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Habfan10912 says:

People seem to be in love with Philadelphia but I think their goaltending will eventually catch up to them. Yesterday was one of my favorite sports days though. Bruins lose was the icing.
      No fishing today. TV and couch it is. Enjoy!

• The Cat says:

I dont want to sound pessimistic, but with all the rough stuff last night, I wouldnt be surprised to see the refs kill the momentum of the games with every little penalty call they can make. I know they got to call them, but I find too much refereeing doesnt allow the game to simmer properly.

• Habfan10912 says:

Gosh Cat, I hope not. I am not a fan of the usual made up chippiness we see during the regular season. What we often see in the playoffs is genuine dislike and I like it.

• habstrinifan says:

But I also hate the stuff I sa yesterday because it cheats the fans and the teams (no conspiracy) when their calls are so inconsistent.

It makes it unfair to let some calls go and then make a call for something like goalie interference which which was hardly one.

• The Cat says:

I know. Its maddening to see chincy holding calls and then see no calls on a head shot.

• Habfan10912 says:

Yes, the officiating was god awful but I gotta tell ya habstrin, its been bad all year. I can’t tell you how many times as a Centre Ice subscriber, I can be watching two games at the same time and how completely different the games are called. Has got to drive the players crazy. Then you have the league (Shanny, Daddy) office and their inconsistent discipline. Are poor game.

• HabsFansince49 says:

I agree with you on the series. A sobering thought on this bright spring morning is exactly how far we (the Habs) are away from this level of hockey. Our top line may be a good second line and we have a couple of solid D’s, but there is a hell of a lot of work to be done in Montreal. This GM and coaching staff appointments are crucial.

• habstrinifan says:

YES! YES! And double YES!

• Chrisadiens says:

We are a bit aways from contending but as you alluded to, with the right GM and coach we are much closer than some think. Our D should be set in 3 years. We just need that elusive #1 center and a couple scorers.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Mark C says:

Not THAT far away. Montreal’s poor record this year was a fluke of historical proportions.

• Habfan10912 says:

I like your style Mark.

• habstrinifan says:

Or maybe your optimism is of historical proportions. I hope you are right. Gotta teel you though watching the PENS/PHILLY and STL/SJS games I kept wondering… “how the hell did our presently constituted HABS skate with these guys”. They all look huge and ugly and good. But of course it’s just the drama of the playoffs. Habs WILL BE ok!

• Chrisadiens says:

St Louis especially looks big. Every player looks to be 6′ 4″ +.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Mark C says:

Here is a great article that breaks down some of the various statistical reasons and outliners of Montreal’s season. I’m not claiming Montreal was near being elite, just that they were a lot closer to a borderline playoff team than the 3rd worse team in the NHL, like their record indicates. Montreal has many good pieces in place, if a few of critical decisions are executed successfully; Montreal has a very real chance of becoming an elite team within a few years.

• HardHabits says:

habologist head up the ass dot com

It’s unreal how that site tries it’s best to be an authority while simultaneously skewering data in favour of it’s pre-ordained conclusions.

You can get more facts from a Christian Evangelical website.

• HabFab says:

Yeah! and it doesn’t fit your preordained conclusions either I bet!
            :D

• HardHabits says:

There’s a difference between manipulating data to fit the constraints of reality as apologists do and manipulating reality to fit the constraints of data as polemicists do. One relies on faith and the other on subliminal force.

• issie74 says:

Our first line(your words) were not meant to be a first line,it just happened due to injury.

NorthTOHab

75. showey47 says:

Have to wonder how much of a war zone it is in the stands between fans. The one thing going the pens way is the goalie at the other end is just as capable of letting in a bunch also.

76. boing007 says:

Shamahan.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

77. The Cat says:

Oh I know, Im an idjot..When we were making predictions in round 1, I didnt see anybody else here except me pick Philly, almost everybody said Pitts in 4 or 5…I once read in a sports forum with fans of many backgrounds and sports, and the subject was most annoying fans. The general consensus was “You havent been annoyed until you watch a hockey game with a habs fan”…They meant people like you.

78. Cal says:

Bryzgalov has been bad. Fleury has been pure unadulterated sh!t. Your post deserves to be placed in front of a firing squad and be relieved of its punctuation.

79. twilighthours says:

Settle down now, you’re just as dumb as the rest of us.

80. chemic says:

let me get this straight, you picked the right winner out of this series, so you must be right too about the moronic prospect of trading price…….well then, im not event try to argue how stupid this kind of argumentation is!

81. The Cat says:

Its just an example, I been more right than wrong in the 4 years I been here. The long-timers know thats why they dont call me names. I could list all the ‘forecasts’ Ive made if you want. I dont want to shove it in peoples faces but some posters are rude and do some name-calling. I never fire first. How else can one retaliate when hes called an idiot by people whove been more wrong than him? How can one argue with people who think their avg goaltender is worth way more than a guy who carried his team this year and a past Conn Smythe winner?

82. HabFanSince72 says:

Dumber even.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

You are the clueless one. You don’t like Brodeur because he plays a hybrid style. And you are possibly the biggest Price apologist. Yet Price was best when he was a hybrid player. As for Fleury… his sheets are brown.