‘Unemployed’ Budaj working out in Denver

budajweb

DAVE STUBBS
THE GAZETTE

Peter Budaj won his most recent game in a Canadiens uniform, a 30-save 4-1 victory over Toronto at the Bell Centre on April 7 to drop the curtain on the Habs’ unsatisfying, playoff-free 2011-12 season.

When he plays his next game is anyone’s guess.

“Playing now would be so much better,” the locked-out Budaj said during a chat from his off-season home in Denver. “I’m an unemployed person right now.”

It was eight games into last season that Budaj finally saw action, the struggling Canadiens dropping to 1-5-2 with his 2-1 Bell Centre loss to Florida on Oct. 24.

This was his first of 17 appearances in the Habs net, having arrived in July as a two-year, $2.3-million free-agent signing to replace Alex Auld as backup to No. 1 netminder Carey Price.

Price was coming off a team-record 72 appearances in 2010-11 and clearly would be the locomotive pulling the Canadiens train again. Budaj knew that when arrived after six seasons with the Colorado Avalanche.

“Ask any goalie and he wants to play,” he said of his thin workload, finishing 5-7-5 with a save percentage of .913 and goals-against average of 2.55. “But I knew the situation and the decision of who plays is obviously up to the coach.

“I was hoping for more games, but how much you play doesn’t change anything about your work ethic. You’ve got to support your team the best you can.

“There were longs stretches I didn’t play and anyone who’s played can tell you that you can practise as hard as you want but it’s very different than being in games. Practising was the only thing I was able to control, being ready whenever I was called upon.

“Even though it’s tough, we’re professionals. We know what to do and how to handle stuff. It’s mentally hard, but that’s why we play the sport. That’s what you have to do as a backup goalie.”

If playing goal for the Canadiens is arguably the toughest job in hockey, being No. 2 at that position offers unique challenges.

Through last season, Budaj warmed the bench for one stretch of 10 games and twice for spans of nine and seven. His sole consecutive-games run came in the season’s final four matches, Price shelved with a concussion.

But Budaj was an excellent teammate, never uttering a word of discontent while using every practice as game simulation so he’d be ready when called.

If the 2012-13 schedule is a mist of uncertainty, so is the work Budaj might have should the season begin.

“That’s totally up to the staff upstairs and the coach, it’s out of my control,” he said. “It’s up to me to show my work ethic and support of the team, being able to be ready whenever I get a chance. We’ll see when we start. I’ll be ready to show everybody that I support the team and I’m ready for the games.”

Budaj has until now communicated with new general manager Marc Bergevin and head coach Michel Therrien only by email. But he has a bit of a history with Therrien; he was in the minors, playing for the American Hockey League’s Hershey Bears, when Therrien was behind the bench of the Wilkes-Barre Penguins.

“I’ve heard good things (about Bergevin and Therrien) and I’m looking forward to being ready to go in the right direction,” Budaj said.

Budaj had a Canadiens link long before he arrived here. In Colorado, on his first day in his first Avalanche training camp, he mustered the courage to ask Avalanche netminder, Habs icon and boyhood idol Patrick Roy, to autograph his hockey cards. He later shared duties for three seasons with former Canadien José Theodore and would gain the insight, upon signing in Montreal, with departed Hab and fellow Slovakian Jaroslav Halak.

For now, Budaj will remain in Denver, enjoying time with his 2-year-old son, Peter Jr.

“He has a little net and hockey stick and he likes to hit balls and little pucks. He’s playing sports all the time,” Budaj said of his boy. “I thank God that he’s healthy and can be as active as he is.”

Having turned 30 last month, the goalie is training in Denver with a few Avalanche players to keep in playing trim and stays in touch with Price with the occasional text message, having travelled north in July to the latter’s Kelowna, B.C., summer home to skate and work out.

“I’m working out with some quality shooters,” Budaj said. “You can’t compare it to organized NHL practice, but it’s a pretty high level and we try to keep the intensity up and do drills that will benefit goalies and players.”

Like Price, he’s not actively searching for work overseas, aware that a parachute-drop goalie isn’t ideal for most European clubs that would be stuck — worse with the loss of a goalie than a skater — should the lockout end mid-season. Ten NHL goalies thus far have taken that route — six to Russia, two to the Czech Republic and one to Finland and Swedish Tier II.

“Obviously, I’m not happy. I’d love to be playing right now, the situation is not good for players or anybody else,” Budaj said of the lockout. “I hope we’re going to solve it pretty quickly and hopefully we start pretty soon.

“But if this keeps going, maybe in a couple weeks I’ll start looking for some place to play in Europe.”

What Budaj is most looking forward to is getting back to the hockey hotbed that is Montreal.

“I don’t think there’s a better place to play — 22,000 people shouting and screaming and chanting,” he said. “It’s getting ready for the game, stepping on the ice wearing the Montreal logo with so much tradition, like baseball’s New York Yankees.

“The atmosphere the fans gave us throughout the year was incredible. Even though we were eliminated from the playoffs as early as we were, they still came to support us.

“Sometimes they’re tough on you because they want good results. With such a tradition, on such a team, they deserve results. That’s something that only can drive you to play better and to be better.

“That’s something that, in a positive way, exceeded my expectations. I was expecting something big in Montreal but this was much bigger. It was always fun to go to the rink and get into a game.”

For Budaj, the education of first Canadiens season will be something on which to build. He hopes it will yield more work in goal, though he vows he’ll be ready whenever Therrien’s call comes.

“Every year is going to bring different challenges for players, the team and the organization,” he said. “One year under my belt in Montreal helps with my being one year older, wiser, and knowing what to expect.”

If only Budaj had a crystal ball for the lurching labour talks that keep him, and every other NHL player, idling in neutral.

dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

1. habs-fan-84 says:

Pacioretty coming back to North America

2. SmartDog says:

That’s interesting and sad. (Re. the Peter Young post just below.)

It’s also pretty obvious this guy knows nothing about hockey. One of the surveys asks “which of the following do you enjoy most about watching a live hockey game” and one of the possible answers is “anticipating catching a puck”.

LOL “CATCHING a puck?” More like: ‘seeing the guy two rows in front of you take a puck in the face’. No-one goes to hockey games with a goalie’s glove to ‘catch a puck’. That’s obviously baseball.

The league really shines when it comes to trying to cover their asses. And even that, they only do late in the game. Rich morons.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

3. Peter Young says:

League hires hugely expensive public relations firm for Republican Party in effort to improve its image.

4. wjc says:

Biggest threat to the NHL is not the “Players Association”, it is the KHL. The KHL is a growing league and it explains why NHL is loading up on long term contracts.

The NHL, like any wise corporation is always looking ahead. 5 year plans are usually the norm. So while the average fan cannot see the forest for the trees they are up high looking over the trees and they see clearly what you cannot.

Someday, sooner then you think, the KHL will be waving money in front of the future stars of the NHL.

You will only believe this when the go after the likes of Subban, Patracetty, Price, Galchenyuk or some of the up and comers that you are excited about on these sites.

So the NHL will not have the pick of the Russian stars as they do today, without paying dearly for them. The Russian’s will be aggressive in a like manner for Canadian players.

The competition will be fierce for those not signed to long term contracts. Contracts will be honoured in both countries and only players coming up for renewal will be fair game.

So the owners with players under contract for 10 years will be able to rest easy, and players who are not under contract will have the choice of NHL or KHL.

When the Russians put their mind to anything they will accomplish it. They have the climate and the will to go head to head with the NHL.

They also like the idea that the KHL creates a distraction to the masses so they pay less attention to things that actually effect their lives.

The KHL and the NHL will someday play for the Stanley cup. Pay-per-view will be the magic ticket that will create many billions of dollars for both leagues.

wjc

• Cal says:

Unintentionally funniest post of the day.

• Kfourn says:

You lost me at “Patracetty”

_______________________________________________________
      Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”

“It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

I think that is the Swiss spelling of his name during his stint playing there. :)

• wjc says:

Whoops, should have said “Patches”. Could have covered up the spelling of a difficult name.

I like the way you children have no come back arguments.

wjc

• Cal says:

You write like a 10 year old, so don’t start with the “children” bs.
          Your proposition that the KHL can compete with the NHL has no basis in fact. If you were a player, would you choose LA or Omsk?

• wjc says:

I was going to run a bunch of facts to illustrate my beliefs, but, the last thing you need on here is to be snowed under with an avalanche of facts.

Hab in Burlington, as I tried to point out, (unsuccessfully I might add) they would not go after players under contract, only those that are not contractually obligated.

In the near future, the KHL will continue to grow and certainly will prove a possible option for Russian players etc.

Pay-per-view is here and is proving to be a huge money producer. Hockey as we know it will probably move from free T.V. to pay-per-view. Most people who subscribe to Center ice or buy sports over cable (Bell, Rogers etc.) have already moved into pay-per-view. The internet will be offering pay-per-view as well once the concept is perfected.

All sports will move in this direction, according to most insiders, who can see the future.

When the Stanley cup is being played in Russia and your only option is to either go there for two weeks or sign up for pay-per-view what do you think people will do. At a $300.00 for the full 6 or 7 games with the Canadiens playing the champion Russian team, who wouldn’t pay it. Now multiply $300.00 times 10,000,000 people.

The next year when it is in North America…same thing.

That is the vision, that experts are predicting. Even Scotty Bowman has expressed an opinion that agrees with most expert assessments. The future is here, times are changing, thanks to the social networks etc.

wjc

• Cal says:

@wjc

Those games are played at 1PM or 2PM or earlier because of the time difference. There will not be 10 million people in canada willing to pay $300 to watch a 7 game series.

The NHL is still and will remain for the foreseeable future to be a gate driven league. Pay per view is not in the near future of the this league. The TV money currently available to the NHL pales in comparison to the gate revenues.

The KHL and NHL currently have an agreement in place to respect each leagues contracts, so no poaching will occur.

As for the KHL becoming a real threat to the NHL, I just don’t see this happening. Most KHL teams are completely funded by wealthy and even more corrupt ownership than the current NHL. Most teams tickets prices are not remotely close to covering their current payrolls. For that league to suddenly compete in matching the payroll status of the NHL, the owners there will definitely be losing money. There is not the disposable income amongst most Russians to afford the ticket prices which are currently being paid in the majority of NHL markets.

The players are only going there right now because it is an opportunity to stay in game shape until the NHL and NHLPA settle their issues.

If Max found the Swiss league well below standards, how do you think most North Americans would find playing in Siberia? The travel alone is a reason to be wary for North American players, never mind the language, culture and socio-economic barriers.

It is fine for the players who grew up there to play in the KHL as it is their home. But the comforts of the NHL will not be matched anytime soon by the KHL and thus the majority of players will continue to strive to play in the NHL as the ultimate achievement in their professional careers.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Yeah the NHL is so worried, and have made 5-year plans… eventhough they want to have a cap on the length of the contracts the teams can shell out. Your argument is flawed, not even counting the fact there’s a massive time difference anyways between the two continents.

Now about you calling these posters “children”. That’s a stupid thing to say since I’m pretty sure you’re the 17 year old kid who wouldn’t stop talking about his hard-on for Gomez all year. secondly it’s a common “insult” for people who are no doubtedly underage to dismiss people by saying that. Your point is stupid. Most people don’t want to even waste their time to make a rebuttle because it’s so stupid. those seers or insiders whatever you call them who can see into the future are just plain non-existant. Sports won’t go purely to ppv because nobody will bother to watch it. Especially hockey which is only a fraction as big as the NFL, MLB and EPL and other football leagues in Europe. Cool your balls

5. Kfourn says:

Does anyone know if Jean-Sébastien Dea has been drafted yet? The kid seems to be doing really well early on in the QMJHL.

_______________________________________________________

• commandant says:

Not Drafted

5’8, and only 32 points in 50 games in your draft year in the QMJHL means that you are probably not going to get drafted.

Now he’s lighting it up, and like Tanner Pearson (and others) has a chance to get picked the second time through the draft.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Kfourn says:

thanks

_______________________________________________________

6. Habfan10912 says:

Report Patches leaving KHL and heading home. Sites conditioning issues. Stubbs working on report.

———————————–

7. Habfan10912 says:

MINI SUMMIT NEWS.

Hockey Inside Out Hamilton Summit (AKA Replacement Summit) News!

We are all set for the October 26th Hamilton Bulldog vs. Toronto Marlies Game. Here’s what you need to do.

You must call Greg Diamond at 905-546-8177 and mention HI/O Summit. Greg will let you know of the different price levels and take care of your order. Gold tickets are $20 for HIO members. He has assured us that we all will be sitting near each other. We may also have an opportunity to meet some of the Bulldog players.

At this time we have no other formal plans. Please stay. tuned for any further plans such as lunch, drinks etc… Thanks to Habinburlington for arranging this for us! Hope to see you all there!

———————————–

8. Habfan10912 says:

My list of famous Hab fans. I’m sure I missed some.

———————————–

Bania! I had no idea, now I need to rewatch those episodes with him in a whole new light.

Thanks for posting Jim.

Good Morning Bud!

• Cal says:

Nice list. Not so pumped about Hulk Hogan, though. ;)

• Lafleurguy says:

Impressive research, Jim, and inspiring list.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• mark-ID says:

Great list. Interesting seeing celebs who support the Habs. Just a little side note though……Georges St.Pierre, although from Montreal, is actually an Edmonton Oilers fan. He has been quoted saying that before.
      Although…he also says he barely watches sports period.

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks Mark. Sure hope he doesn’t come looking for me. :)

———————————–

• mark-ID says:

Well as poorly as Habs did last year…I am pretty sure it is still more insulting to be wrongfully called an Oilers fan at this point lol

Plus GSP might beat you up….but he won’t finish you. Zing!

9. AceMagnum says:

BUDAJ MOVIE!!

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

10. JayK-47 says:

I do not remember, in the 30+ years of being a Habs fan, when the team had so many good prospects at once. I remember thinking that Koivu, Ryan, Stevenson and Brown might turn out alright. I remember Pleks, Patches, Higgins, McDonagh and Subban looking pretty good too. But to have Price, Pleks, Patches, Subban with new joins Eller, Desharnais and Emelin along with this new batch brewing all at the same time? Outworldly in my eyes.

I can take the loss of this year, I think the team is just shy of playoff depth and has a piece or two of deadwood. But next year and the years to follow? I think we’re going to be seeing some of the best Habs teams to hit the ice in near 40 years.

It’s just amazing to think back and reflect on all the one-way trades I had to watch the Habs make before they made it back to this point. Unreal…

11. habsgod says:

can anyone tell me how our prized #1 center of the future alex galchenyuk is doing in the ohl with the sarnia sting? is he leading the ohl in scoring,in the top 5, top 10? is he leading sarnia in scoring? i’ve seen dalton thrower here in regina against the pats , he looks like he’ll be a good one.

• He’s doing great, 12 points so far in 9 games. More importantly he is playing great. I was just watching TVA Sports and they were saying that he is better than Yakupov overall. They say Yakupov is better offensively but has defensive weakness whereas Gally is a better all around player due to his maturity and intelligence.

There are only 4 other players in the OHL born the same year or later who have more points than him so far…and one of them is Habs prospect Brady Vail.

The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
      Twitter: @teliopost

12. ‘Guys like me and [Gregory Campbell] are built like Greek gods, so we don’t really need to go anywhere else to play’ – Brad Marchand
    The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

13. jols101 says:

In response to the discussion below about the Habs being too small and future prospects being small as well, I partially agree.

I think it is ludicrous to discard a 18 year old kid because he isn’t over 6 feet tall but if the Kings and Bruins Stanley Cup wins prove anything it is that size does matter. Our Habs are still too small up front and on D, at least this year, if there is a year.

I was really hoping the Habs would trade their 2 second round picks to get Tom Wilson. So that would have been Collberg and Thrower for Tom Wilson. He is 6 “3, tough as nails, and talented enough to become a top 6 forward in the NHL. We haven’t had a guy like that since Shane Corson and he was one of my favorite Habs. I wonder if that deal could have been made? What do you guys think? Would you make that trade?

• ProHabs says:

I was hoping the Habs were going to do that one draft day as well. I wanted them to get Wilson or even Samuelsson. Can you imagine Ulf Samuelsson’s son playing for the Habs against the dirty Bruins.

• JayK-47 says:

I was hoping for Samuelson and Matteau myself. I remember reading a couple years ago the the best indicator for a pick making it into the pros was having a father who played pro himself. But Timmins did pretty well so… no complaints.

• commandant says:

Bozon’s dad played in the NHL.

Galchenyuk’s dad played in the pro leagues (AHL, IHL, Russian Pro).

Beaulieu’s dad is a coach/gm in the CHL.

Gallagher’s dad is a CHL strength coach

Tinordi’s dad was in the NHL.

The Habs haver clearly looked into this philosophy with a number of picks.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• jedimyrmidon says:

It’s never too early to start worrying about future player size!

• commandant says:

Tom Wilson scored 9 goals last year in junior hockey …. 9 goals.

He’s not as talented as some have hyped him to be. Yes he’s tough, but he’s basically a bigger version of Travis Moen. I don’t waste a first round pick on that.

Hands of stone on that kid.

Yes good fighter, but I don’t use that high of a pick on him.

I would bet a lot that Collberg ends up a better player than Tom Wilson, a lot better player.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• neumann103 says:

I think trading Collberg for Wilson straight up would be a bad deal. I am not as big on Thrower as many here but that just makes it worse.

Collberg was a steal at #33. I think the Caps figured they could take the chance on Wilson (who was not on that many first round draft predictions I saw) with their second pick ofthe First Round because they had just picked up a steal with their other First Round selection of Filip Forsberg (who was a guy I had focused on when I figured the Habs would likely end up picking around 6th).

I recall Wilson being one of the two most widely criticized first round selections of the 2012 draft. I am not generally one to embrace conventional wisdom, but sometimes there is a reason for it being convention.

So in answer to your question. No. No way. No freakin’ way.

“Et le but!”

14. habsfan0 says:

Big news: Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty resigns.

Bigger news:Buffalo Bills win miracle game at Arizona,due in no small part to the fact that for the first time since 1985 Bills wear blue pants on the road,pants which look suspiciously identical to a longer version of Habs hockey pants.

15. Hobie Hansen says:

In regards to the discussion below that started with the suggestion of playing Dalton Thrower at forward because the Habs are going to be too small three years down the road when perhaps Thrower is ready to play in the NHL, that’s going a little overboard lol.

Thrower might not even develop into an everyday NHL player and we’re talking three years down the road. I think Pacioretty and Galchenyuk will probably be on the first line at that point and they’re both 6’2″. If things go well Eller will be a good second line center and he has some size. And who knows what trades and UFA signings will occur before then as well?

And on not to mention on defense, Tinordi who’s 6’6″ and will probably weigh 240 lbs by then…

This team is going to be so drastically different in 2 to 3 years from now that you can’t even speculate as to what the team will really look like, yet.

• Marc10 says:

I agree with that. +100

Assuming Bergie and Therrien stay on for a 3-year stint, I’d expect the Habs to take on more size, more grit and to play with a serious edge.

The Gauthier-Gainey days are well and truly over. You’ve got Mellanby and Dudley in the background too. Those guys aren’t figure skaters. Our Habs are going to be a completely different animal in the coming years and if you thought the crowd at the Bell was intimidating…

Me thinks Galley, Patches and co going to be well looked after.

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

‘The Globe To Roll Out Metered Paywall As Industry Shifts To Digital Revenue’: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/the-globe-to-roll-out-metered-paywall-as-industry-shifts-to-digital-revenue/article4612259/

…the Globe’s metred pay-wall subscription would cost $ 39.99/month, and a weekend-only subscription would cost $ 4.99/month

…I enjoy reading the Globe, now and then, but though I know a certain number of Canadians would subscribe, I would not subscribe nowhere that amount of money monthly to reading the Globe …mainly because My reading habits include an eclectic mix of news-sources depending on My interests …of international politics, science, the arts, and sports (90% Montreal Canadiens specific :) ) …I know this ‘gating’ is not new …it has worked economically for The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Financial Post, and a few other high profile news organizations, but I remain doubtful any Canadian news medium would have the same success

…if I was not retired, as I am now, I most likely would subscribe to The New York Times, the Economist, The Wall Street Journal and certain Asian news organizations if they had metre/subscription requirements because of My former professional interests …but, I guiltily admit, I can’t see Myself willing to pay that amount of money on a monthly basis for any Canadian focused news medium

…and, there must be many more like Me

…but I would consider a ‘reasonable’ subscription for an ‘interest specific’ online news/discussion site like hockeyinsideout.com

…what ??? is reasonable ? …that is the question !

…that comes with a definite qualifier though …hockeyinsideout.com would have to upgrade hugely it’s quality of editorial and writing content from what exists today

…question; how many of Y’all would be willing to pay a subscription fee to keep hockeyinsideout.com alive ?

…A) pay, yes or no ?
    …B) a monthly or once a year fee ?
    …C) $ 25/year ?, $ 50/year ?, or $ 100/year ?

…all of this is completely hypothetical, but Boyz n Goilz, I think We are soon going to have to contemplate the scenario that HIO is hanging on by it’s fingernails, even if the lock-out ends tomorrow

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• punkster says:

Seems inevitable. In that case it may be best to take the initiative and let sites we frequently visit, like HI/O, know our tipping point.

A) Yes
      B) Once a year
      C) $10 per year to begin with possible annual increases depending upon the quality of the product.

Of course the quality issue may be subjective. Regular user feedback forums and opinion polls could help to determine those increases.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…$ 25/year sounds more feasible to make it economically viable for The Gazette …and, if significantly better editorial writing and creativity to develop the site was realized, I would even consider $ 50/year

_________________________________________________________
        Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• punkster says:

The thing is I expect most sites to go this route and at $25 per you and I would very quickly exceed our media budget, would be limited to fewer sites, limited viewpoints, and we could miss vital breaking news or in depth reporting and analysis.

I exaggerate, however…since I presently have a favorites list of about 30 news sites and 25 hockey sites, few of them associated with news sites, I can’t possibly afford a $25 monthly hit per site.

I certainly don’t wish to limit my vast thirst for knowledge.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

Christopher, talk like this and we will be paying tomorrow! Perhaps I would be willing to provide a once a year payment, however i am not sure how to stick cash into my computer and have it arrive at the Gazette headquarters, is that what this cupholder device that pops out of my computer is for?

17. Haborama says:

Hmmmm

crazy idea (don’t shoot me)

what if we were to move Thrower to wing?. he is good offensively, is a physical beast, but is undersized for D, and seems to have issues running around looking for guys to clobber. If we were to move him to wing then he would be free from the burden of defensive responsibility and would be able to bring a power game up front. It would be like what the Leafs did with Gary Leeman and Wendal Clarke.

that way, in the future, Galchenyuk would have a physical winger to clear space and protect him if necessary while being offensively capable. What more could you ask for?

• Habfan17 says:

I don’t think it is such a crazy idea. The Habs moved Robinson from forward to defense!

Habfan17

• Haborama says:

Pacioretty – Galchenyuk – Thrower

that would be a damn good line!

• wjc says:

Not true, Robinson was drafted as a defenceman. How come no one ever corrects people when they make these statements.

wjc

You are correct Robinson was indeed drafted as Defenceman and played his junior years as a Dman. However, growing up he played forward and when playing for Brockville in High School i believe he switched to D at the coaches request. I suspect that story is what Habfan17 had heard and perhaps got it confused.

A great great Dman indeed, thankfully he never switched back to forward.

• Habfan17 says:

Thanks for helping me out! I had read a story years ago that it was The Habs brass that made the request. I guess the story was wrong. Either way, it made the point that players can switch and be successful! Thanks!

Habfan17

• otter649 says:

Markov was a forward who was changed to defense in his last year of junior. John Kordic was defenseman who got moved up to forward by The Habs. Jim Roberts & Rick Chartraw both played right wing and defense when needed…..

• commandant says:

He’s always played a good defensive game… He’s an all around defenceman who plays a good game.

“seems to have issues running around looking for guys to clobber”

How about we not overreact to one shift and change who the player is?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• wjc says:

You could always trade Thrower to Boston.

wjc

• Rozz says:

Ahhh.. Wilfred, how I’ve missed you and your absurd opinions and statements along with your constant talking down to people.. Oh wait no I didn’t… oh well welcome back anyways… where ya been? Spreading your particular type of crazy on other sites?

“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”

Mark Twain.

• wjc says:

If anybody knows crazy it is good ole “Rozz”. Never mind me where ya all been, I sure know how to bring them out.

Welcome back buddy, gotta livin this place up a might, ya think.

wjc

• Rozz says:

Oh I’ve been here.. reading and keeping up on things (mind you i have missed a couple days here and there).. but there hasn’t been to many posts that I felt the need to comment on as most ppl around here I find agreeable and pleasant to read.. but your right, as soon as I saw the typical wjc post I definitely had to sign in and comment.. and with the lock out making life boring as hell I will thoroughly enjoy ripping on your usual condicending toned comments as you try to act better / smarter than the rest of ppl here. :D

Mark Twain.

• Haborama says:

Part of me was just conerned about our lack of toughness in the top six going forward, he seems like the type of player who could make a very good power winger.

• Haborama says:

Part of me was just concerned about our lack of toughness in the top six going forward, he seems like the type of player who could make a very good power winger.

The concept of moving a player from D to F or vice versa i have no issue with. However, lets watch how this kid develops at the Junior level before we make such drastic decisions. Also the coach of Saskatoon is the decision maker right now, not the Habs.

If in 3-4 years time the coaching and mgmt team see a possibility to make a move, then they will do so. I just fear that a little bit of controversy in the first few weeks of the Junior season is causing some uproar over this kids future. He is afterall still just a kid.

Haborama, I don’t dispute Thrower could perhaps be a force at forward, but until now he has been a D, so lets just see how this season at a minimum progresses.

• Haborama says:

He is my Favorite Habs prospect right now, and I was concerned about his season with the blades so far, I was just suggesting a possible way of improving his development.

• Boomer says:

Honestly I hope the Habs don’t trade him or switch his position. I do think perhaps a good thing for him would be a trade out of Saskatoon though, as much as I’d like to see him at the memorial cup… It doesn’t look like it’s working out there and a change of teams could be a good thing for him. But there are probably a lot of things going on we don’t know about.

• wjc says:

You have no idea how much 3.3 billion dollars is do you? The population of the world is 7 billion people.

That is a 1000 million dollars times 3. If it were stacked up (if possible) in $100 dollar bills how long do you think it would take you to count it.

3.3 billion….the point 3 is 300 million….and you think the league is close to folding…..seriously????

wjc

• krozzt says:

Why do people keep forgetting that revenue is not the same thing as profit? They could have a total revenue of ten trillion, if their costs are eleven trillion it doesn’t actually make them profitable.

I am not saying this is the case, but the reason they throw around the 3.3 billion revenue is because it sounds good, it doesn’t actually say anything about the league’s net profit.

• wjc says:

Please, 3.3 billion is a lot of money. Yes, I know it is not all profit. But, there is enough left over to make everyone very rich.

Splitting up this dough, is a huge problem, the players are rich because of it. These hundred million dollar contracts should make the light go on. Propping up Pheonix for a few million is not that big a deal.

Paying Bettman 8 million is a drop in the bucket. The NHL as a business has billions stashed away, and the interest alone would scare the average $70,000.00 a year person.

They are making lots of dough, they just don’t think the players should get such a huge amount.

wjc

• krozzt says:

I think it very much depends on the team owner, many are losing many are earning. Problem is, we can’t really say anything unless they actually release the numbers. Fact of the matter is the owners have to pay the staff and run the stadiums out of their portion of the divided up pool. I’m not saying they shouldn’t just that unless you’ve actually seen the numbers, it is very hard to make an unbiased statement about it.

18. Habitant in Surrey says:

Jack Todd: ”Lies, rumours &&&& vicious innuendo: Your Monday Morning Quarterback got sucked into watching Felix Baumgartner’s remarkable parachute jump from space on Sunday. I’m not sure what the point of the jump was, or even why I watched it — but when he stood up on that platform and jumped, all I could say was “holy $&*#!!! …” ” :)

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• habsfan0 says:

I would have preferred Jacques Martin & Pierre Gauthier to have made that jump while holding hands.

• wjc says:

You should be thanking Pierre Gauthier for all the great draft picks he got for the team.

Don’t take my word for it, look it up.

wjc

• frontenac1 says:

Yeah, the Goat was quite the genius eh?

• wjc says:

Yes, for the most part he did a very good job. Chicago scooped him up and they just won a Stanley cup a little while ago. They know a thing or two about winning.

Pollock and Selke were both very secretive men from a different era.
            6 team league for the most part, having access to Quebec talent,signing players at 14 years old to “c” forms. Back then the language thing was an advantage because french players wanted to stay in a french province.

wjc

• Rozz says:

ummm.. wow.. you have gone senile in your old age man.. you do know he is talking about Pierre Gauthier, right?

wait wait wait NVM… just remmebered that you still belive that Scott “I got released from and ECHL team” Gomez is and elite NHL player… lmao

Mark Twain.

• frontenac1 says:

Way to go Bomber! That was cool!

19. Price07 says:

Listened to the entire bulldogs game on the radio on saturday night. wish they would show it on tv. but i intend on continuing to listen to those games as the bulldogs are the future canadiens (most of them) so its the closest thing to NHL hockey in my opinion.

20. Haborama says:

we have a huge problem: 3 of our potential future top six forwards are under 6,0 tall (Collberg, Hudon, Gallagher) which means that we could be stuck in the same old nightmare of being the “smurfs”. So much for toughness……..

That means one or two of the above mentioned forwards will have to be traded eventually, who do you think should be traded?

• commandant says:

There is virtually no difference between a guy who is 5’11″ and a guy who is 6’0″. I see no problems for Collberg and Hudon. The only issue is with Gallagher.

The 5’11 vs 6’0 thing is the equivalent of a store advertising cereal for $4.99 vs $5.00. The difference is so miniscule that it doesn’t matter.

With a Cammalleri who is 5’8, or a Gionta who is 5’6″ then yeah it matters, but not at 5’11 vs 6’0.

A guy who is 5’11 is only 2 inches shorter than Pacioretty, but is 5 inches taller than Gionta, just to give an example.

We don’t complain about Louis Leblanc’s size and he’s 6’0.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Haborama says:

isn’t Hudon 5,10?

Mike Boone for PM!

• Habfan17 says:

I would go as far as saying there is no problem with Gallagher either, St. Louis has carved himself a nice career as have other notable smaller players like Fleury. Gallagher’s dad is a fitness coach and he is feisty. The Habs do have some bigger guys coming too, Bozon, Galchenyuk, Quailer and Nattinen. Sure some of them will be 3rd or 4th line players, however Eller is 6’1′ and has gained some size like Pacioretty has done. Bournival, Avtsin, Pribyl, Holland, and Vail are not smurfs either.Some may not make it, although it is too early to write them off, especially with the investment that Bergevin has made on the development side.

I love your point that the difference between 6′ and 5″ 11″ is irrelevent! It will only be a problem if you put Desharnais, Hudon and Gallagher on the same line!

Habfan17

• commandant says:

I don’t think there is a problem with Gallagher and I’m not saying he has to be traded. I think you can survive with 1 or 2 small players, especially someone as gritty as Gallagher.

However he is one of the guys who goes toward that 1 or 2 quota… whereas I don’t put Collberg and Hudon in the category of “small” at 5’11″

Sidney Crosby is the same height and we never here that he is too small.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• wjc says:

You could always trade them for big guys that can’t play, that is your choices.

wjc

21. Aaron13 says:

I watched a KHL game between Dynamo and another team @ 5pm yesterday on ESPN2.

22. Bripro says:

Third. And I agree with Ian. Not much to say.
    Except it’s been reported that the players will start to collect their escrow money.

*********************************************
    “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

Nothing to say that would mean anything about pro hockey!
    Thank goodness there is CHL, where the passion lives on.!

24. shiram says:

For all the outcries and negativity surrounding his hire, I don’t think Budaj was a let down. He’s had decent numbers on a very weak team and seems to be a great team-mate and backup to Price. With the lack of depth on D, I’m glad we had him last season.