Two more sleeps

• Red Fisher on Mike Cammalleri’s suspension

Lineup will be same old – Pat Hickey

• Our old friend J.T. talks to David Desharnais

• Here’s a surprise: Pierre Boivin is optimistic

Which Canadian team is closest to the Cup?

• SI’s Allan Muir thinks Buffalo will win the Northeast Division

Brian Burke’s team

• Who knew figure-skating would cut you for a dozen stitches? Big Georges does…

nPLnDMx6GQc

And because it just never gets old:

1. C_Hand says:

Wow, those guys making the predictions for which Canadian team is
    most likely to win the cup sound like they don’t know anything.

The
    one that said “No Halak, no Montreal contention” or whatever is simply
    retarded. He said after seeing these playoffs that goaltending is the
    most important position by far. Seriously? The Stanley Cup finals were
    played wth two teams who had less than stellar goaltending. I wonder how
    people get their jobs sometimes.

2. Vecs says:

huh? where did you take that quote from? Might want to try reading it again.  The last part is Jack Martins quote

3. Rugger says:

Off Topic but, I know a lot of you are based in Europe.  MY daughter is in Berlin for the semester and isa big hockey fan (Bruins fan unfortunately).  Is anyone aware of a site that has replays available so she can see the games at a decent hour there?  Thanks

4. Willy the bum says:

Laraque cuts easily like tofu.

5. Da Hema says:

Good to see BGL smiling at the end.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

FAN SUMMIT UPDATE——-ATTENTION

Cut off dates for HIO deal price at THE NOVATEL HOTEL is tomorrow OCT.6th.

Make the call ASAP so not to miss out.   The hotel  number for Novotel reservations is: 1-514-871-2138

7. eurekabru says:

They’re not replays so much as downloadable recordings:

nhltorrents.co.uk

Obviously in torrents form. They usually have
    all the popular teams’ games.

Avoiding NHL spoilers in Europe is
    incredibly easy. :)

8. Beaco says:

I KNOW! What a ridiculous article! A legend to be sure, but how can an editor print this? Was it that slow a day in sports?

9. Beaco says:

Jesus, now Mr. Fisher is weighing in on matters he admits to not having seen but has read about in Hickey’s column…This is the first time I have ever stopped reading a Red Fisher piece in the middle. He’s reporting on what he read in the paper? Ridiculous piece.

10. nunacanadien says:

What people missed was the attempted head shot by Nederiter, which was why Cammy responded.  Now the whole head shot debate went out the window the wrong way, instead just because Ned boy was one of their star players everyone had a sh*t fit.

11. Hagar says:

He dropped her, lol. And then he’s the one that gets injured. “It’s my goal to lead the league in 4 minute roughing things” -Scott Gomez

12. punkster says:

Well, if the Probe and Wail experts pick the ‘Nuks then you can be sure it’ll be any other team.

13. ZepFan2 says:
    “I
    must admit I haven’t seen what transpired between the players, because
    I don’t watch what the NHL chooses to call “games” in the preseason. But I don’t think it was bad as it looked.”
    Uh-huh. You know, it’s sad when senility hits.

Bye-bye Red.

————————————————————————–

– Steven Tyler

14. mrhabby says:

A thought and just one. Whats happened to OB. Is he really regressing based on ability or lack of it or is it Col. Martin affecting his play always benching him when he makes a mistake. I feel for the guy but going into the season it makes you wonder where he is going with his career as a Canadien.

15. Mattyleg says:

Couple thoughts:

Heh heh. That class photo is great. Tony was a pretty cut kid, it seems.

I love Neddy Niederlander’s quote about Cammy coming at him from behind… much like you did, Neddy.

This bit on choosing who stays on the starting lineup from the Laffs article is priceless:

“Centre John Mitchell does, however, [get a starting position] and despite going pointless and
    recording only one shot on goal in four preseason games, that was enough
    to keep him on the roster”

Standards set astronomically high in Hogtown, eh? I could probably get a starting spot.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

16. Matt_in_TO says:

WTF does Ron Wilson know?

- In Price We Trust

17. habfan53 says:

Just a couple of things.

I did see the INCIDENT and I was shocked that Cammelari not only slashed from BEHIND but more dangerously waived the stick near his head. THERE IS NO place for this in hockey and I think he will say so today when he talks with the press.

Secondly who would of thought that it would be a 5’1″ mightty mite that would take down big George for 12 stitches.

18. Matt_in_TO says:

Try living here for the past 15 years!!!

- In Price We Trust

19. Castor says:

Hey man. I’m working in Toronto for the next month. Think about how I feel!!

20. Castor says:

Yeah but I hate having all game sevens on the road.

21. PrimeTime says:

No doubt the goal should be higher than just making the playoffs and I believe everyone from Management to Players ultimate goal is to win the cup. But realistically, it comes with time and some luck. The league is so balanced talent wise and no team can be assured of a cup on paper. Dynasty’s are over and even the perrenial stronger teams the past 10 years San Jose, Jersey and Detroit were even close to several championships. Pittsburg has only 1 cup while pretty much dominating the East for 3 years with arguably the best player on the planet.

Management can build a strong farm system and acquire key players each year but in the end it’s the players that have the final say. I was proud of last years team and remain hopeful it is a building block to several more proud years of success.

have “People build teams in certain ways. I’ve always traded for futures – not pasts.” – Sam Pollock The reason we are Hab fans http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1476

22. J.T. says:

I’ll join you on the optimism express, Tom.  I’m a firm believer in the idea that there’s really not that much difference between an excellent NHL player and a good one in terms of physical skill.  What really separates the two is the mental part of the game.  The same thing goes for a team.  If a team actually plays like a team and not a collection of individuals, that team will do well most nights.  I think the Canadiens learned a lot about that in the playoffs and will carry it over into the regular season.  If they can remain reasonably healthy, and get reasonably tight goaltending, they do have a chance at the division.

23. SeriousFan09 says:

Ron Wilson calls the Loafs PP that’s been beating up on AHL squads as “scary-dangerous”…

Ron, meet Hal Gill, Josh Gorges, Tomas Plekanec and Tom Pyatt. Apparently they spent April and May blocking out the 3 best players in the world.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

24. kirkiswork says:

I guess the Habs were the weakest open in last years playoffs.

25. JF says:

Agree about the Canucks.  I think Luongo has as many question marks around him as Price.  He was terrible at the end of their last two playoff runs, and I wasn’t convinced by his performance in the Olympics.

As far as the Habs go, there are too many unknowns for me to share your optimism completely.  I don’t think Price will melt down, but I think he’ll likely have some rough patches and give up a few bad goals at terrible moments, like when we’re leading by 1 or tied in the third period.  However, I think that over the season he’ll become more solid.  We need much better even-strength scoring than last year, and our special teams have to be among the best.  If those things happen, if our key players can stay healthy, and if at least one of Kostitsyn and Pouliot can play to the level they’re capable of, we should be OK, but I don’t see us winning the division.  It’ll likely be Boston, or maybe Buffalo because of their coaching and world-class goaltending.

26. Matt_in_TO says:

I hate the Leafs and loathe their fans

- In Price We Trust

27. HabFanSince72 says:

Actually position means something.

The higher you finish the weaker your opponent in the first round.

This is generally a good thing, even if it isn’t a guarantee of success.

Hope this helps.

28. TommyB says:

I disagree with you to a point, because just “getting into” the playoffs provides the soft cushion of being satisfied if you win a round, or two, and then fall on your behind.  There is the tendency to feel you accomplished something.  Of course a top team can be knocked off, a la Washington, but you have to admit the odds are overwhelmingly against such a thing happening regularly.

29. JIMVINNY says:

Thank you for being reasonable.  It seems that while habs fans are quick to heap undeserved praise on our players, at the same time some are way to quick to vilify as well.

30. avatar_58 says:

Position means nothing. What place did Washington finish again? All that matters is what you do in the playoffs. In the regular season work on your chemistry and get into the playoffs, then the real hockey begins.

31. TommyB says:

One could say that the Canucks have been the frontrunner, as far as which Canadian team has the best chance to win the Cup, for quite a few years now.  How have they made out?  Has that much changed in Vancouver over the summer?  I doubt it.  Let’s worry about which Canadian team has the best shot at the Cup a little closer to playoff time.  Much can happen over 82 games.

For the Habs, just making the playoffs should not be a goal.  The goal should be to win the division, and end up in one of the top spots in the East, instead of squeaking into 8th place on the final weekend.  I think this team could, with maybe some luck, take the division.  I hope they get off to a quick start and stay on pace throughout the season.  Avoid that mid-season slump, and I think the Habs do have a chance to win the division.   I think they have as much chance as any of the others.  I don’t see any real runaway winner when I look at the other teams.  Maybe I’m dreaming, but nobody has played a single game yet.  So, at this point at least, it is do-able.   Yep, I’m one of the optimistic ones on this site.  A clear member of the minority.  I make no apologies for that.

32. Mark C says:

Cannot understand why Red Fisher and others think Cammalleri should have got a longer suspension. Based on history, Cammalleri got what he most likely deserved.

Last year only one player was suspended for slashing. Shane O’Brien, from his bench speared/slashed Avery’s upper body. O’Brien was banned for one game.  As far as the slash to the back of the leg, well Lucic two handed Komi, then jumped him from behind in 2009. Lucic went unpunished.

33. Puck Bard says:

They’ll bore us to death with that Sabres hockey, that’s how they’ll take the division.

34. The Cat says:

Lindy Ruff always manages to get things done though, I remember last year many people had Buffalo finishing near the basement -myself included.

35. HFX-HabFan says:

Muir isn’t much of a writer to begin with, but I just don’t see there being any way that Buffalo will win their division.  They have an all-world goalie, yes, but even with guys like Ennis and Connolly providing secondary scoring, their D is paper-thin beyond Myers.  I see them finishing third at best in the Northeast.  I think Miller is quite capable of carrying them back to the playoffs but I don’t see them as an elite team in the East.

36. RetroMikey says:

Cammy was very lucky to get a 1 game suspension, very lucky.

And you know what?  Who gives a toot what Pierre Boivin thinks about this upcoming season.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

37. saskhabfan says:

Who cares what you think about anything. All you do is make up false rumours and are wrong about all of your “mark my words” predictions. At least Boivin wants this team to win,unlike you who has too much of a self-centered ego and hopes the team loses to make you feel better about yourself.

“bad analogy- when he first played those wins/losses ??? how many goals did crosby and malkin score that year?”-Observer. When asked why Marc Andre fleury had been sent to the minors when he struggled in his 3rd season.

38. habs4ever2894 says:

This right here is a good grou of forwards……LOL

Versteeg – Bozak – Kessel
    Kulemin – Grabovski – MacArthur
    Sjostrom – Brent – Armstrong
    Orr – Brown – Mitchell

39. HabFanSince72 says:

Their bottom 6 is pretty dire isn’t it?

Actually their bottom 9 is lousy and their top three would not be a top three anywhere else (except maybe for Kessel).

40. Habziefan09 says:

My point exactly… Its as if Mr Fisher wrote solely on what others wrote.. and why?  All his article did was throw Cammy under the bus.  I have much respect for Mr. Red Fisher.  However if this is what he considers journalism, maybe it’s time he called it a career cause this story is nothing but BS.

Twitter: Habziefan09

Confucius says: “Baseball has it all wrong, Man with 4 balls cannot walk!”

41. HabFanSince72 says:

Red Fisher on the Cammalleri incident: “I must admit I haven’t seen what transpired between the players, …”

Then why write  about it?

42. Mike Boone says:

Evidently YouTube is unavailable in Côte St. Luc.

43. DavidKB says:

I saw it on TV and judged it a head shot to Cammalleri. Then I saw the clip that Arpon Basu posted, a slightly different angle than what I first saw and changed my mind. Apparently seeing isn’t always believing.

44. G-Man says:

He was making comment on Cammi’s reckless behaviour during a “meaningless” preseason game.

The “meaningful” season begins Thursday and he won’t be playing. Any way you slice or hack at it, it wasn’t very smart.

45. likehoy says:

funny how everyone writes off the canadiens without halak…but the real playoff hero was hal gill!

look at his last 3 years, 2 stanley cup finals and a 3rd round appearance!

it’s too bad he spent years in toronto…he couldn’t show off his playoff ability there.

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

46. Puck Bard says:

Gill was the sleeping giant, and they wrote him off early as a dud-acquisition.

47. G-Man says:

Opinion pieces are not “journalism.” They are opinion pieces. Reporting on a story laced with facts and objectivity is journalism. Opinions are subjective.

48. HabFanSince72 says:

From the Leafs story:

“I would say we’ve got some people on a Chihuahua leash,” Burke said.

Yeah – like you and your goon Ron Wilson, if Leafs management had a clue.

49. Mattyleg says:

It wouldn’t take much more than that to hold back a number of guys on that team…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

50. HABZ24 says:

cammy got off easy for sure. i poke at the guys throat with his stick and chop at the guys ankle a few secs later was brutal. say thanks colin and run.

we have a good team with the exception of shakey unproven goal tending.i like the additions of boyd and halpern, two vets who wont make rookie mistakes.defence is solid with markov,subban, gill,gorges. lappierre needs to play his avery like style to be affective. gomez needs to step it up huge and show hes worth 7 mill. i predict we will finish 6th in conf, if price plays decent, if not well finish 13th. cant wait for thursday baby!!

51. king ddd says:

woow.. the canucks (imo as overrated as david beckham) are easily becoming the team that i hate the most behind the laffs of course.

.::DON’T MESS WITH THE MOENATOR!::.

52. avatar_58 says:

Except if he didn’t see it, he can’t express any sort of valid opinion

53. nunacanadien says:

I doubt either sees it that way, they’re both team players Halak and Gill. Too bad Gauthier chose to get rid of a great team player who clicked not only with the vets but the rookies as well.

54. saskhabfan says:

Does a “team player” use the media to demand a trade?

55. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, almost feel sorry for Kessel: goes from playing with Savard and Bergeron to Bozak.

Heh heh. Okay, I don’t feel sorry for him at all.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

56. RetroMikey says:

Boring but a W is a W.  I’ll take the W’s anyway.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

57. Beaco says:

lol! I hope the legend doesn’t visit the site! Hey, there isn’t any truth to the rumours that Red Fisher is Timo, is there?

58. saskhabfan says:

You call making the playoffs 3 times in the last 8 years getting things done?

59. KSS says:

Does anybody have some creative 2010 fantasy hockey team names to share?