Two in a row

ColeEngelland
It took eight rounds to do it, but Carey Price finally won a shootout.
The Canadiens practice Wednesday morning before heading to New York for a Thursday four-pointer against the Islanders.

Price shakes shootout jinx

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

Red Fisher’s column

Dave Stubbs on the Pacioretty Foundation

Allen McInnis photo gallery

Pierre Ladouceur’s game report card

Senators lose seventh in a row

Wings have goaltending issues

1. slychard says:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

2. Phil C says:

Kaberle had success on the powerplay when he had McCabe to take the big shot. Subban has a big shot, but he doesn’t move laterally enough to create shooting lanes. MAB was very good at moving laterally while setting up the big blast. NHL players are too good at shot blocking now to be static. I would rather see more of Diaz or Weber with Kaberle on the PP. I like Subban a lot but I don’t think he has ever been good on the PP inside the blueline. He is very good at rushing and gaining the zone. If the Habs could get the big shot from the point going again, not only would it directly score more goals, but it would open things up down low because the defending forwards and the goalie would have to challenge more.

• habs_54321 says:

this is why subban should be paired with weber on the powerplay subban should be the quarterback of the powerplay using his elite speed and playmaking abilities, he shouldn’t be used as a stationary triggerman hes to skilled to just be a shootr only, lt weber be the triggerman

• DorvalTony says:

Why can’t PK get his slapshot on net? Too much testosterone? Youthful impatience and exuberance? He needs Robinson to calm him and tutor him. He’s a gem and deserves better coaches.

3. j2w4habs25 says:

Guy Lafleur hasnt bashed the team yet? I hope one of the older habs put pressure on them. Might be alittle late but who cares, we gotta win to put Price in a good record!

Carey Price #31

4. j2w4habs25 says:

good day hab fans! last night was such an exciting game

Carey Price #31

5. DorvalTony says:

Leaves and Isles next, we can go 4 straight.

• nunacanadien says:

Maybe if we play Budaj the next 4 straight we might win. Price has given away so many soft goals this year, it has cost us a decent spot, and Price does not suck enough for us to get a decent draft pick that Gauthier can trade for used goods ala Gainey style. Why bother even having a team if you are not going to want to win?

6. Psycho29 says:

So Bruins and Sabres tonight on TSN…
    I wonder if Gaustad will be wondering “Where’s Chara”??????

I figure Leafs will make the playoffs this season after what… a six year drought? If laffs were to play the Bruins… man, how does the league instruct the officials to call the games? What about the CBC panel? It will be a tough choice for all concerned.

• Say Ash says:

Simple. We all cheer for a meteorite.

• nunacanadien says:

That’s easy, we all know us habs fans that the Bruins bought the cup last year, and they will again bribe the league once more. When was the last time the Leafs won a cup like this? When there was only 6 teams. However it seems it is not a crime in the NHL to bribe officials in the USA or at least under Gary Bettman.

• j2w4habs25 says:

lets just hope the bruins sweep the Leafs in four games.. Leaf fans are too annoying to have around lol

Carey Price #31

• Les Canayens says:

Stock-Milbury vs Healy-Maclean, with Cherry as the neutral ref.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
      ❝ I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.❞

• Lafrich says:

Seriously? Is that even a question?
      I would be rooting Leafs all the way. Whatever the strongest word is for hate (despise, detest, loathe, abhor?) the Bruins players and media (hi there Jack Edwards), however, I do not hate the Leafs players nor their media – some of their fans are a bit clueless as to expectations because of the 45 year drought, but they are knowledgeable Canadians.

For me this would be a no-brainer.

• wall2bay says:

It will come down to the last game for the Laffers and God willing the Boys will knock them out of their misery!

This just might be the highpoint for Habs fan for the year!

8. New says:

Nice article on MaxPac and the players who came out to support the effort. Sometimes we forget how much they give back as “all part of the job” and go with the glib quotes. They’re great guys.

9. bighabber says:

When RC became coach I was hoping he’d do so well that management would have a tough time letting him go. Yet now I feel he’s too much like J.M., last night on our first PP there was Subban who miss-handled a tough pass from the side wall that should not have been put to him as he was covered. Next PP he’s not out there on the first PP unit, instead we have Pleks and Kabs and end up giving up a shortie. RC seems to always resort things that didn’t work when JM was coach. We need fresh blood from the top down. New GM who hires his own coach etc.

10. remi_10069 says:

Is Weber seriously hurt? Don’t wish that on anyone but would be good to get rid of him. He sucks. Trade Plek now, his stock just bounced 10% in the last 2 games.

pipes

11. Kooch7800 says:

I didn’t like the Kunitz hip check on Weber. It was borderline clipping as it was a bit late and he could have hit him standing up.

It is part of the game but I would have liked to see someone at least show some push back against Kunitz

12. Les Canayens says:

We all hates certain players from opposing teams who always seem to do damage to us, but loves to have them on our team. Well, Cole was that player for me when he was with Carolina, where he usually had multi-point nights when playing against the Habs. He even jeered at Doug Gilmour (when he was our captain) after scoring a goal.

After seeing him underachieved in Edmonton, but seemed to do well once traded back to Carolina, I initially had doubts about his ability to perform anywhere else. Now that every of his presence is a potential scoring chance, my, and many others’ dream of having a formally hated player playing for our team and actually do good, should be satisfied.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

• Timo says:

Cole’s been one good thing that Gauthier’s done (and I bet it was not on purpose)

• Les Canayens says:

Hehe

He must have wanted Ian Cole from St-Louis for Halak, instead he got Eller (not on purpose). So he told himself, “I must get another Cole guy”.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

13. Psycho29 says:

How did the refs come up with these penalties at the end of the OT?
    Malkin for Roughing and Darche for Interference? Nothing for Subban or Letang?

Interesting though, if you are serving a 10-minute misconduct (or a match or game misconduct) at the end of OT, you are ineligible for the shootout.
    I guess if you are serving a minor or major, you are allowed to take part….

“Three (3) players from each team shall participate in the shootout and they shall proceed in such order as the Coach selects. All players are eligible to participate in the shootout unless they are serving a ten-minute misconduct or have been assessed a game misconduct or match penalty.”

14. SteverenO says:

The Shootout.

Many are questioning whether it is “right” to decide a game with a shootout, but I don`t think that is the right question. The shootout doesn`t decide the game. When a game is tied after regulation, it a tie game, each team gets one point. Over time and the shoot out are in fact a new game, with one “extra” point on the line.

The real question should be , why not have overtime and a shoot out after EVERY game, (a battle for the 3rd point) even if there was a winner in regulation? The losing team can salvage a point and some pride.if they score in overtime, or win the shootout, and the winning team can make it an even sweeter victory by making it a three point night by coming out victorious in the extra curriculars.

For that matter why not have the Shootout BEFORE the game, kind of like the prelude to the main event?

In essence there would be two matches every night , the main event, two teams playng hockey with two points on the line , and the “after-party” (or prelude) -two teams in a skills competition for another point.

Although stupid, it is more equitable than the current system.

If sanity were to prevail, there would be exactlly two points up for grabs every night, winner takes all. Overtime can be used but only if it is to determine a winner and loser, not a completely separate contest for a new-found point. Should overtime expire without a winner both teams may kiss their sisters, and walk away with a point each.

The only sensible alternative is to make every match worth three points. A regulation win is 3 points to the victorious team and zilch to the losers. Overtime games can be 2 points to 1, although , in my opinion that takes away from what makes sporting events so exciting, the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

By the way, Gomez ice time is being reduced, which is not a bad thing, still wondering why no one is asking the coach to explain his insistence on having him play on EVERY SINGLE powerplay.

Are there any reporters covering this team? Is there a rule that states a reporter cannot ask the coach about his choice of player on the special teams. If one night the coach played Darche, Blunden, Moen, Gill, and Gorges on the PP would any reporter ask him why he iced a power play with his 5 lowest scoring players?

Why is Gomez up front on the power play any less “questionable” than having Gill on the point?

If Hal Gill were to receive regular PP minutes game after game on the leagues worst power play, would nay reporter dare to ask the coach what he was thinking?
    If he played the back up goalie, (who has scored just as many goals as Gomez this year) would any reporter ask him what he was thinking?
    Why is this any different?
    I thought that the job of the reporter was to ask the coach the coach questions, because the fan do not have the opportunity to do so.

Well, I for one, would like to hear the coach explain why he feels that with the worst powe rplay in the league he feels he cannot risk going one full game without having the lowest scoring player on the team play on the power play?

regards,

Steve O.

• Habshire says:

I like the pre-game shootout. Don’t have to waste time cleaning the ice. Instead of deciding the game it’s more like giving the winner half a goal so the loser has 60 minutes to come back.

You can also give the loser last line change as compensation. And you can do away with the loser point and go only with wins and losses.

• The Juice says:

I like this

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

15. HabsFan1111 says:

Is it just me or does anyone else think the whole spinorama shootout move is BS? Clearly forward motion is stopped, why is it ok? I’m sure most goalies would agree with me…

• Kooch7800 says:

When i was a kid when you stop forward momentum to the net on a breakaway you were done. If you turn away from the net and your back is too it the play should be over. Let’s face it though….the shootout is just a gimmick for highlight reals and to try to make it exciting to the new market viewers south of the border.

As far as I am concerned a shoutout should never get a full point. It really cheapens a regulation win and even an OT goal.

Shootouts should only be half a point in my opinion. The Habs can’t complain, yes we have the short end of the stick this year in shootouts but this team has been better in the standings because of it in the past.

• bighabber says:

Absolute b.s.! It shouldn’t be allowed, but the league will never back off on that one, they like any kind of scoring.

• Habfan10912 says:

I like it when Eller does it otherwise its BS. : )

• Bripro says:

The rule states that the puck must maintain forward momentum.
      Malkin’s goal didn’t. It was up to the officials to go to review on it.
      They didn’t. Why? Because it was Malkin.
      The puck shifted back during his spinorama. It should have been dis-allowed, IMO.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree but they never take away any spinorama goal so this one is no exception

• ffenliv says:

Your interpretation is BS. Datsyuk’s famous – and well-loved – shootout move involves ‘shifting the puck back’, too. People just don’t like the spinorama against them because they feel it’s hotdogging.

I think it’s here to stay.

• Bripro says:

Before you go off at the mouth throwing unsollicited accusations of B.S. you might try reading the rule book:

Rule 24 Penalty Shot

24.2 The spin-o-rama type move where the player completes a 360° turn as he approaches the goal, shall be permitted as long as this involves continuous motion.

So stick your comments where the sun doesn’t shine!

• boing007 says:

Agreed.

Richard R

16. The Dude says:

Gomez won’t give back pay cus this is his last stop in the big league.2 win for Stanley….

Now that was a very enjoyable game to watch last night. The only 4 weak links on our team last night were Kaberle, Gomez, Weber, and Mr. Gill. These 4 players will not be on the roster next year.

I thought everyone else had bought into Cunnyworth’s game plan and executed very well. But I was somewhat disappointed in Moen, (but that was his first game back) and Pacioretty’s team play last night, needs just a little more commitment.

We have still got a great young nucleus of players for next year, but after you remove the 4 players that I mentioned, we are in a great need for a couple of top defense men. We are very weak soft and young on the back end. This is what has held us back all season.

Like I said, both teams played a very good game last night.

• Bripro says:

Ian, we might be stuck with Kaberle’s contract.
      Soft is an understatement. I bet you he washes his shorts after every game.
      And Moen, in his first game back, was paired with Darche and Plexs against Malkin’s line. And they limited him to one shot. And one goal for that line is pretty decent.
      Emelin is gaining in my books every game. What a truck!
      And I think Cole is injured. Remember when he left during a period 4 or 5 games back? He hasn’t been the same since.

• HabFanSince72 says:

“I bet you he washes his shorts after every game.”

I bet they all do.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Habfan10912 says:

Ian, maybe my eyes aren’t so good anymore but I thought Kabrele played a pretty good game last night. Agree totally with the other three Players you named.

• DorvalTony says:

Yeah the Kab haters are off the mark. He’s a great sk8ter, moves the puck better than any dman including PK and his passing is impressive. You think his contract is outta line? I think Gorges’s is. We’re lucky to have him.

• Strummer says:

Roger that tony.
          kaberle is another case of mis-use.
          If you pair him consistently with a stay- at- home hard- hitter you would see better results from him.

Puck moving defensemen are gold especially on an offensively-challenged squad like this one.

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
          -Dennis Miller

• ABHabsfan says:

I thought Weber played a decent game last night, we have definitely seen worse. He played the body well and moved the puck up without incident, just as he was asked to do, I suspect. The goals that went in were pretty flukey, really. Pleks played a great game, as most people have said. But if you are going to put the goals on anyone, I’m afraid to say it was him

18. Bripro says:

In comparing stats between the Habs and Pens last night, it was difficult to find dramatic differences, beyond the first line.
    Yeah, yeah, Malkin…blah, blah.
    But at 5 on 5, the teams were 3 goals apart and Habs had a better PK.
    The two big differences are PP and shootouts.
    With a healthy Markov, the riddance of Campoli and Kaberle, I’m convinced we’d have at least another 10-12 points, which puts us right in there.
    The team’s not nearly as bad as their stats.
    Considering we’re the second highest team with man-games lost, the future looks more positive.
    I hate to see real troopers like Gill and Moen go, but in their year of UFA and their ages moving on, cashing in on their trades at deadline time will hopefully net us a big power centre or decent draft picks to turn the team’s fortunes around.
    And whoever thinks we should tank, trade Plexs or Price are in serious need of brain re-wiring.

• They shut Malkin down pretty good. Plecs worked his butt off last night. Maybe the wife should let him sleep more often.

Shane Oliver
      http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
      Custom Sports Figures
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

• Kooch7800 says:

the scary part is pleks gets more scoring chances short handed then 5 on 5. I think I have seen at least 4 break always in the last three games short handed. pleks is a good player

• Bripro says:

That’s three games now that Plexs has shown where he’s returned to form.
        If PG trades him, my Habs viewing is over for the season. I love that kid.
        I met him a few years back at the Atwater market. You wouldn’t believe how small his hands are.
        But humble? Accommodating? He’s with his wife, trying to buy his produce and here comes some psycho fan imposing himself (well…I tried to not be too imposing) and kept his composure the entire time.

19. Mattyleg says:

Posted this last night, but thought I’d get people’s take on it this morning.

Kris Letang is a little bitch. He is the biggest little bitch in the NHL at the moment, in my books.

…GOD, what a little bitch…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

20. steve17 says:

I think the young players are showing that they can be counted on and that it is dangerous to think having won 2 in a row, that this is a play off team. I do not want the Habs to tank, but I also don’t want Gauthier to be fooled into thinking it is best to hang onto the UFA’s and some RFA’s just becuase they are playing better.

I still believe that the right thing to do, is move players at the deadline to build a stronger foundation so the Habs are true playoff contenders for many years. Centre is a position that although they don’t have that big power centre, they have some depth. Eller, DD, and LeBlanc are young and have a lot of upside, and come cheap for now. Plekanec has reached his peak and as the right stage in his career to be attractive to other teams and would bring a better return. Gomez as everyone suggests, should be demoted. As much as I’d like to see a true number one centre, I think for the balance of this season, the Habs can afford to run with the young guys and trade Plekanec, and Kostitsyn. Yes, it was written that Kostitsyn is great in the room, so was Spacek! The reality is that in a package, he may bring a player that fills a need. So, I think Gauthier, or hopefully, a new GM should move, Gill, Campoli, Kaberle, Gionta, Nokelainen, Plekanec, and Kostitsyn. Get as much as possible to stock the cupboard.

Gallagher looks like he will be ready to step in next season and with Bournival, Kristo, Avtsin, and Quailer, they have enough potential skill/speed wingers. Detroit does not have a big gritty centre, they have big gritty wingers. Bourque, Pacioretty and Cole bring size and skill. If Montreal would trade Plekanec and Kostitsyn to the Ducks for Bobby Ryan, it fills the last top 6 wing position on the Habs with size and skill, and the Ducks get a great penalty killer and 2nd line centre to replace Koivu and between Kostitsyn and Plekanec should replace the points they lose with Ryan. Sending Weber and Gill to San Jose for Petrecki would give Montreal a big mean defenceman that is the same age as Subban and would be a good compliment to him.

Maybe Chicago would look at Gionta and Campoli for Beach. Another type player Montreal does not have in the system. With those moves, Montreal would have cap space to go after any free agents that can fill in while the prospects develop. The core would be younger and more balanced and whithin a couple of years, should be ready to actually, compete for the cup.

Habfan17

21. HabsFan82 says:

If you stop and look at it – here’s 9-players we have right now that is capable of scoring 20 goals a season.
    Cole, Desharnais, Max-pac, Bourque, Plekanec Eller, Leblanc Kostitsyn and Gionta if we can replace our deadwood with 3 more 20 goal scores we would have a power house. that’s not unlikely. there’s no need to blow this team up common sense get rid of the deadwood. if we can’t come up with 3-20goal scores bring up 3 of our best scoring juniors and see what happens. again I say don’t give your money to another team for more deadwood go with what we have in our system. I like the 9 players I mentioned 3 more helpers will do the trick.

• Danno says:

Your plan is brilliant in its simplicity. Sometimes it’s better to use a scalpel than an axe.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Stev.R says:

And that’s just the forwards. Subban and Markov can put up 20 goals too. In my opinion we need three players: #1 center, Scoring winger, and a shutdown center. Lets hope we can draft a number 1 center this summer, use Gomez’s contract for a scoring winger, and pick up a solid shutdown center on FA (or White?).

We’ll probably need a new depth veteran dman next season if we don’t bring back Gill. We’ll be young on the backend again next year.

Also, no more injuries. That would be nice

• habsnyc says:

The team is 19th in goals per game this season. They were 22nd last year. The offense is better this year. But the team has fewer points. The problem is not the number of potential 20 goal scorers in the team.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• DorvalTony says:

You’re satisfied with this small soft defence? Recipe for a repeat of this year. No heavyweight, little physicality apart from Emelin (and the odd big PK hit). Not good enough.

The fish is rotten from the head anyway. Changes must start at the top.

22. likehoy says:

I find it crazy talk to say plekanec’s best role is as a third line centre.. anyone can play defense, but not everyone can produce offensively. It’s not a coincidence that pleks had 5 straight 20 goal seasons, and I’m hoping he makes the mark again this year. He’s good in all 3 zones and if you have a player that can score points playing defense, you’re not using your assets properly or it’s another organizational fault to not have a player of depth that can take on the defensive responsibility.

23. habsnyc says:

I have not been on this site for a couple weeks, not sure if this was already stated. It seems to me that Montreal fans perceive their team to be like the NY Giants. A team that can go from 7-7 to its second Superbowl victory in four years. That is what Montreal was like in the late 80′s early 90′s when it won two Cups and made the finals three times in seven years. If the Giants can beat the Pats, then the Habs should crush the Bruins.

The disconnect is that a home ice shootout victory that lifts the team into 13th place does not make Montreal into a contender. The team is average talent, not responding to a new coach and poorly managed. If ownership could actively address these issues, then the day to day would be more meaningful.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Nightshine says:

Maybe, yet I’d rather watch them play while having some faith, and cheer when they score than have them actively seek out to tank. If there’s a chance to make the playoffs and win the cup, I’ll go with that.

What are really the issues? Maybe Gomez and Kaberles contract hits… and maybe having that “star” player. Sure, maybe the 1st or 2nd draft pick would solve the “star” and “center” issue, and Gomez most likely won’t be back next year. So other than getting some 3rd round + draft picks at the trade deadline, why would the Habs trade away Pleks or AK?

Which player would you bring into the organization via a trade?

• habsnyc says:

I did not say to tank. I wrote the team is average, not responding to a new coach and poorly managed.

I do not see a full NHL roster of players on this team. The team needs nine quality forwards. It has six: Cole(who will be 33 next year and will slow meaningfully), Pax, Eller, Bourque, Plex and Desharnais. Gionta is done. Gomez is done. Moen and Kostitsyn are UFA’s. The team needs at least six defensemen. It has Gorges, Subban and possibly Emelin. You can’t give Emelin second pairing minutes. Kaberle is a specialist, maybe a good sixth. Leblanc is unproven. Markov is unknown. The entire debacle of this season stemmed from relying on the unknown and unproven and hoping that 32 year old players would skate like 22 year olds.

In a salary cap, parity, extra point, low scoring league, all the things you mentioned are huge obstacles to overcome. The major issues are the lack of NHL level talent throughout the roster, a lame duck coach and a lame duck gm. The latter two need to be solved before the former is addressed.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

24. Strummer says:

Price won a shoot-out.
    Much like when he closes the corral gate after his rodeo horses escaped.
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
    -Dennis Miller

25. Strummer says:

Price won a shoot-out.

Checking for frost in Hades

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
    -Dennis Miller

26. punkster says:

There are those who believe we should tank,
    Take our lumps, put our picks in the bank.
    But there’s no guarantee,
    The draft ain’t risk free,
    And the player we draft may be lank.

So they’ll shout and they’ll scream “Tank, tank, tank”!
    And make all those tank noises; CLANK, CLANK.
    But this team’s contradictory
    As it marches to victory
    Despite being of lower rank.

So chill out with your whining for tank
    And your vitriol fueled by cheap crank.
    You may call me a dummy,
    But my ‘tude just ain’t crummy.
    And when they do win it’s not you that we’ll thank.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

27. joeybarrie says:

Lots of talk about getting rid of guys before the trade deadline. Reading some crazy things.
    Why would we want to get rid of Pleks? He is our most underrated player. Great on the PK. Good (previously) on the PP. Defensively responsible and can score and pass. Exactly what this team needs. What can we possibly get in return that is good enough? A number 30 draft pick….? No thanks.
    AK is big and strong and relatively cheap for a 20-30 goal scorer. Again what can this guy bring in that is more valuable than a 20 goal scorer for 3 million?
    Gio? The guy is injured. a 30 goal scorer who leads this team, doesn’t quit and can actually score in a shootout. We need to keep our captain.
    The only guys we should be willing to give are Gill, Campoli, Moen, Darche, and Gomez (although unlikely) Get some picks or young talent in return.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• boonie says:

On a terrible team, no one should be untouchable. But Plecs should be priced really, really high. Like a couple of first rounders high. If someone is desperate enough, great. If not, I see him as the person to lead and develop the next group of youngsters into winners. Patches, PK, Price, (hopefully) a real high pick this year and our stable of prospects need to learn how to play hard and be professional from a folks like Plecs.

Otherwise, I fear a Lord of Flies situation and we all know how that episode of Star Trek (TOG) turned out…

• Mustang says:

I am amazed that you don’t have Kaberle on your list. I still cannot believe that PG signed this guy.

28. Chuck says:

So why a shootout? Couldn’t they use a fastest skater competition, or hardest bodycheck? Line your team’s least-favourite player up against the end boards and have him run over by someone going full-stride from centre ice. At least Gomez would have something to do. :)

29. Marc10 says:

LL is an impressive kid. I loved how he just went after it. And to think he’s just getting started…

30. Mattyleg says:

Guten tag everyone!
    That game was great fun last night.
    Totally high energy, fast-paced, and after the 1st, it settled down with good chances both ways.
    Pleks played an absolute blinder. Phenomenal. He’d been off his game for a little while, but – and please note, fellow posters who were calling him useless because you have short memories – he came back to form and showed us why he’s the most useful and versatile skater on the team.

More wins! Bring me more wins!!!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

31. Marc10 says:

Gotta say, the Pitt D looked positively average… the three no names behind Letang, Orpik and Martin were seriously over-matched.

Malkin on the other hand…

32. remi_10069 says:

Was at the game last night. Pretty exciting. LL looked great, Gomez terrible. Was frustrating to see so much Darche. If I wanted to see a terrible player on the ice, I would watch myself play. I get the defensive play but 4-4, they have Malkin and we have Darche. Nice.

pipes

33. HabsFan82 says:

This is our deadwood – Gomez, Darche Blunden, Nokelainen maybe make a deal for moen move forward with the rest I think we have the makings of a good team. don’t go out and spend a lot of money we have enough good prospects to complete the rest of the forwards. so we lose for a couple of years. we’re gonna lose with someone elses cast offs anyway lets do it right this time. go with the kids the good ones that is and we’ll have a team worth watching for a long time. no team is gonna win the cup every year but lets have a team to be proud of in Montreal bring back our pride.

34. aceman322 says:

There are quite a few comments on Gomez renegotiating his contract to a much lower amount.

That clearly won’t happen but what would really sit well with the fans is if he donated 1/2 of his salary to charity. Would really show he acknowledges he clearly doesn’t deserve it while giving it to others who need it desparately.

• RGM says:

And since we know that won’t happen, we can now jump to the logical conclusion: Scott Gomez doesn’t care about sick kids / supports cancer / laughs at starving African children / thinks Pacioretty’s foundation is a joke / insert your random facetious outcome here. What a scum!

Straw man arguments are fun.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez, a potential Hall of Fame player, has two Stanley Cup rings and a Calder Trophy that says ‘I’m a player whom any authentic NHL coach will rely on to fix a game problem.’” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

35. habs03 says:

Remember when JM was an idiot for playing Darche 15-17 minutes. Last night Darche played 21+ minutes, second to only Plek for forwards…

36. stevieray says:

Gomez..just over 8 minutes last nite .. lowest on the team
    down from 10 the previous game. Something brewing ????
    Hard to belief a 200 lb ??? guy just waves at the puck and turns away defensively ..RC can’t like this .

• slamtherimtim says:

they gave gomer a chance and have now given up , he didnt produce when given all the ice time , so why keep playing him , the writing is on the wall , finally , bye bye Gomer

37. avatar_58 says:

So re-sign AK46 or no? I say yes – he can pot 20 goals, he hits, he dangles and now we learn he’s good in the room.

With Gionta out – can the team have 3 ‘A’s? I suggest giving one to Cole. He’s the one everyone else needs to emulate

• habs03 says:

Plek/Gorges/Gill all wear “A” wit Gio out.

• Nightshine says:

I say resign him. Tired of Montreal trading away their own home grown draft picked players. He’s a GOOD player, anyone notice how he set up Leblanc last night?

Really, who would you have on your team? AK in his 20s for 3.5 mil or Gionta in his 30s for 4 mil?

If you’re going to do some trades, bring in a few draft picks for Gill/Campoli and maybe Moen, yet I’d keep Moen.

Maybe this team isn’t as bad as lots are saying… just bad luck this year, and lots of talented young guys on D without Markov.

38. adamkennelly says:

Rangers Devils game starts off w/ 2 scraps off the opening face-off. Prust and Rupp vs. Janssen and Boulton…just like the good old days…not necessary but clearly two teams saying to each other..don’t F with me because we are gonna push back…Habs can’t do that..prolly be a much better team if they could.

• DearyLeary says:

It was stupid. It accomplished nothing, it didn’t ‘deter’ any dangerous play, it wasn’t a response to dangerous play, it was four goons doing what they can.

• Mattyleg says:

That’s ridiculous:
        We’d be a better team if we had a goon that fought another goon at the opening faceoff.
        Does not compute. Who cares when goons fight each other? What does that deter?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFanSince72 says:

If the point is really to deter, rather than entertain, then it makes much more sense to do it off ice. Hire goons to ‘visit’ players whose behavior crosses the line, after the game, like the mobsters do.

The advantages are (1) that you don’t give up a roster spot to someone who can’t play and (2) you can much more accurately calibrate the payback to the offence, and (3) effective deterrence.

A snow shower to your keeper? – an ‘unfortunate incident’ involving the family pet.

A knee on knee hit? – a kneecapping, red-brigades style.

A dirty hit from behind resulting in a concussion? – kidnapping your entire family back in Slovakia.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Les Canayens says:

Will make a very interesting 24/7 for the next Winter Classic. HBO can do a cross-over NHL/Soprano type of show.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

• Mattyleg says:

Ha!

I’m all for it!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• punkster says:

Stupid.
      Childish.
      Useless.
      NHL.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• ont fan says:

Nothing says” hockey” better than a staged fight.

• boing007 says:

I remember a bench clearing brawl with the Flyers back in the late 80s.
      Better than the WWF.

Richard R

39. Nightshine says:

I started reading all the comments, and since we’re talking playoffs… they still have a decent chance to make it.

Habs play Isles, Toronto and Carolina in their next three, pending they win all three, and Toronto looses tomorow against Philly, the habs are 5 points back of T.O, and Toronto would have 1 game on hand by next Monday evening.

It would be sweet to have a high draft pick, but even sweeter to make the playoffs and win the cup.

They can still make it!!!!

40. arcosenate says:

Was at the game last night, thought it was a pretty exciting one, loved LeBlanc, never stopped skating. Plekanec had an awesome game, especially on the PK, and PK was pretty good. Poor Gomez is even worse live, and so is the PP. The only disappointing thing last night was the inability of the Desharnais line to put up a few points against the Pens 4th line, they were matched up against them all night and couldn’t find a way to take advantage.

Anyway, onward and upward, unless you want the number one pick, then it’s onward and downward I suppose.

As pointed out by others, what a great article on MaxPac, this guy seems to have all the intangibles. I hope he is a Hab for a long long time. Thanks Mr. Stubbs.

42. Mr.Hazard says:

I thought it was seven rounds….?!

43. JF says:

When Tomas Plekanec is on his game, he is our best centre. There is no way the Habs should trade him unless they can get a Ryan Getzlaf in return, which isn’t going to happen, or unless they plan to stay at the bottom next season. Without Plekanec, our two top centres would be Desharnais and Eller, both of whom have played better than Plekanec at times this season, but both are still comparative novices. Development never happens in a straight line; Desharnais and Eller will have periods of inconsistency, periods when they struggle or disappear. Without Plekanec, they would also be under a lot more pressure.

If Plekanec is traded, I assume it would be for a prospect or draft pick. That player would be several years away from playing in the NHL, and might never develop into as good a player as Plekanec is now. Plekanec was drafted and developed by this team, he loves playing here and wants to stay. We should keep him. If we land one of the top centres in this year’s draft, Plekanec can eventually be our second or even third-line centre.

Being a Habs fan these days is very conflicting. Logically, I’ve given up on the playoffs and accept that the team would benefit more from a high draft pick than a short playoff run. Emotionally, I still want us to make it. Losses will improve our draft position, but I can’t watch the games and hope the team loses. I can’t not cheer for our team, and I thoroughly enjoyed their gutsy win last night. It was great to see our guys finally score shootout goals and Price finally get a SO win.

44. doublerr says:

Didn’t see the game but checked out the summary, Darche played over 21 mins, thought it was a mistake. He is close to be the worst guy in the league, 3 goals in 54 games! he doesn’t score, not a playmaker, doesn’t check, hit or fight, he must have pics of PG with a goat.

45. RGM says:

Strange titling in the article link on the Pacioretty story: “buddy+Pacioretty+crap”

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Les Canayens says:

Probably due to this excerpt from the article:

” Max put all the stuff on the bed and said, ‘Hey, buddy, I’m Max Pacioretty.’

“The boy opened his eyes and just said, ‘Oh, crap.’ ”

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

• sanman_11 says:

Saw the game and he did hustle and helped shut down Malkin. I’m not a huge Darche fan but when someone criticizes a guys game without watching it and even better, looking at a black and white summary I usually have to relegate them to ‘typical Leaf fan” status. In that black and white summary did you notice how much PK time he played, just wondering?

46. novahab says:

What they are paying Eric Cole is not enough. Wow ths guy is a true leader ,shows up every night and leaves it on the ice. If I was Gomez I would asked, to have my contect open and give back at least 5 mil a season. I don’t know how he sleeps at night and he would take a world of pressure of his shoulders. I know it hard to make ends meet with only 2.5 mil a year but Gomez do it for the team and fans. We’ll all have a food drive to help you and your family.

• RGM says:

Sure you would. Even if you were so noble, that darned CBA would prevent you from being so magnanimous as to return 67% of the salary from the contract you signed.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Les Canayens says:

Also both levels of government will be pissed at not collecting taxes on the full 7.5 mil.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

• habs03 says:

Cole is getting paid 6M this season…lol

• mrhabby says:

i doubt you would give back 5m..and incur the rath of players and agents…lol.

47. novahab says:

Well one more win, one game at a time . They played with heart last night and LL looks like he is steping up his game. I can’t remember what Gazette genius writer complained about CC, taking a shot at the refs. I say good for you CC, because last night proved once again how crooked they are. The Pens got away with murder last night what a joke.

48. JUST ME says:

Yay !!! Be it for this year or next year those are the kind of efforts worth building on.

Finding the reason why they flatline when least expected or desired is the main objective cause on paper with the team effort and will to play with passion they can beat the best of them.

Never too high ,never too low.

49. jew4jah says:

i’m starting to get the idea that red fisher is not a fan of the shootout.

chara = חרה

• smiler2729 says:

Well, who the hell is?

The fact that the goals don’t even count towards a player’s stats is moronic.

It’s a stupid, stupid, STUPID way to settle a hockey game akin to MLB using a HR derby after 10 innings or the NFL having a FG kicking contest or having QBs throw spirals through a swinging tire…

It’s bush, it’s circus, it’s Gary’s World…

___________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• Mustang says:

I know that this has been debated many times but I also hate the idea of deciding a game with the shootout even if it is exciting. Hockey is a team sport and the outcome should be decided by the team, not an individual. Why not play 4 on 4 for 5 minutes then go down to 3 on 3? It certainly would not take very long for a goal to be scored.

One more thing; is a game worth 2 points or 3 points? I think it is rediculous to award 2 points if a game finishes in regular time but 3 points if it goes to OT or a shootout.

50. Cunneyworth’s over use of Darche explained: http://wp.me/p1UX3s-KN

51. joshua94k says:

A great effort by the Habs. Carey Price is not a quitter. Josh Gorges is not a quitter. Tomas Plekanec is not a quitter. Eric Cole is not a quitter. Max Pacioretty is not a quitter. PK Subban, Hall Gill, and Mathieu Darche are not quitters.

This team does not quit. They wear the blue, white and red with pride. If you want to a team that will tank, you won’t find it in Montreal.

The Senators losing 7 in a row are only 10 points ahead in 8th place with the Canadiens having two games in hand. The Leafs are not reliable, the Caps, Panthers, Devils are all mediocre teams right now.

It is an open field with no guarantees. It just shows that The Gazette, TSN, SportsNet, HNIC, RDS don’t know their hockey.

It is a long shot but still a shot. Once you make the play-offs, anything can happen. It is worth more than tanking for a draft pick.

There is a reason the Montreal Canadiens have the legacy they have and the most fans than any other team. This team plays with pride.

Despite the hardships they faced this year with the close losses. Nobody can say they didn’t battle.

Go HABS go!

52. momotan69 says:

Right now, the math says its 89 points to make the playoffs. All these pundits need to stop looking at last years number. The math is simple, take the current 8 th place team points divided by numer of games played times 82. The current pace is 89.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Similarly then 72 pts will likely be good for second to last.

So we need 21 pts in our last 28 games.

So a slight amelioration in cunnyworth’s record should see us draft Grigorenko.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habsnyc says:

Florida is in ninth place and on pace for 93 points. 89 points is wrong because Florida has four games in hand on Ottawa.

Montreal needs 43 points in 28 games to get 94 points, a 126 point annual pace. Season to date, the team is annualizing at 77 points.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

53. Laramy87 says:

So i am not gonna sit here and say Habs will make the playoffs, but you seriously need to toss those percentages out the window.

If you look at the standings, yes we are currently 10 points out and it is a huggggggggggge long shot, but if you look at the top 8, Ottawa is floundering and does not look good, Florida is also foundering. Like those two teams do not look like playoff teams, and the more they lose the lower the point total for 8th is gonna be.

Really, who knows. Some fans would say tank and get the draft pick and that is most likely the realistically scenario. However, who knows, stranger things have happened. St. Louis two years ago, Sharks last.

54. Chrisadiens says:

Mr. Stubbs, great articles on Max and Gomez. Keep up the good work. My favorite writer by far.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

55. habs03 says:

Gomez said he was one of the most popular guys in the room.

56. Nightshine says:

I don’t know…? Any sources to the contrary?

57. DorvalTony says:

They don’t call third man in any more.

58. nellis13 says:

it’s actually spelled kaberlame and he’s killing our power play. if you haven’t noticed we’re dead last and that’s the biggest reason we’re losing games. the cash isn’t the problem. sure he has good stats, he only plays the PP. he’s no markov, he’s not even mark-andre bergeron.

59. HabsFan1111 says:

As much as I love optimism, it’s hard to look favourably on Kaberle moving forward. If/when Markov comes, what use will we have for him? I agree it’s not a ‘killer’ contract, but pretty darn close…

60. montreal ace says:

Blunden was playing great, I really like him, too bad he gets a cheap shot and gets hurt.He skates well, hits and has a good shot

61. chemic says:

so Kaberle did kill ou pp even before he was coming to town? How could Kaberle possible kill something that wasnt even alive?

62. boing007 says:

I have a queasy feeling that PG is going to screw up the team some more in three weeks time.

Richard R