Two Canadiens legends on the mend

Elmer Lach (left) and Dollard St. Laurent during their playing days.
David Bier, from Gazette files

Best wishes go out to two Canadiens greats, tough old birds who currently are at home on the mend:

Hall of Famer and legendary Punch Line centreman Elmer Lach, who turns 90 in January, is recovering from a broken hip suffered in a recent fall. And stellar blueliner Dollard St. Laurent, a whippersnapper at 79, is recuperating from triple bypass surgery.

Get well soon, gents … we miss you at the Bell Centre!

Elmer Lach (left) and Dollard St. Laurent, photographed last April by The Gazette’s Tyrel Featherstone.

1. gmd says:

Get well soon guys.

2. Robert L says:

From the french papers, it sounds like Claude Ruel, who couldn’t make it last night, is of frail health as well.

I’ve transcribe a piece here that has more to do with Piton’s views of Robinson. The french link at my site has more to do with his current state.

3. joel says:

best wishes for a speedy recovery !!!!!!!

4. Peter Young says:

Elmer Lach’s last season was my first full season as a Canadiens fan. I was just in time to see him play on the television a few times, although he was past his prime and I, as a 10-year-old immigrant new to the game, wasn’t aware of the extent of his greatness until a year or two later.

Dollard St. Laurent I saw play much more. He was often Doug Harvey’s partner on defence. He was one of those solid performers every team needs for success. That was quite a crew the Canadiens had on defence. Tom Johnson and Emile “Butch” Bouchard were the other regular defencemen back in 1953-54; both were all-stars at some point in their careers. Bud McPherson also played quite a few games on defence.

Wishing these old-timers speedy recoveries and many good times yet. God knows, they deserve it for all the good times they gave us.

5. J.T. says:

All the best to two great Habs. I hope they recover soon.

6. nightmare_49 says:

My father always had good things to say about Elmer Lach and i’ve had the pleasure to meet Dollard St.Laurent on a few occasions and he was a perfect gentleman and always in a good mood in the mode of Larry Robinson and a great ambassador for the game and Dollie have a pint for me. Best of health.

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high”.

8. habsfan reduxit says:

… the juxtaposition of these two guys is interesting to me, since they mark my arrival on the scene as a Habs fan. I well recall my childhood days, beginning to follow the fortunes of ‘my team’ just after Elmer Lach had retired, and at the time Dollard St. Laurent was hitting his prime.

9. A. Berke says:

Wish you gentlemen, a speedy recovery and all the best.

I would have loved to see you both on the ice in your Habs uniforms.

Cheers,

Ali B.

10. Habby67 says:

Habs forever, Keep on carrying the torch guys….