UPDATE: Games canned through Nov. 1; fundraising dinner with Armstrong, Darche

colby-mat

The photo tweeted Oct. 11 from the players’ bench at Le Colisée Pepsi in Quebec that launched the charity auction: Colby Armstrong (left) and Mathieu Darche.
Courtesy Colby Armstrong

NEWS UPDATE: NHL cancels games through Nov. 1

On Oct. 11 on Twitter, I pretty much dared Canadiens’ Colby Armstrong to take a photo of himself on the bench of Quebec’s Le Colisée Pepsi, and tweet it, during a Tournée des joueurs exhibition game. When it appeared unlikely that Armstrong might do so, I sweetened the pot with another tweet: I’d buy him dinner at Moishes, arguably Montreal’s best steakhouse, if he did.

Long story short (the full story linked here): Armstrong tweeted the photo above, with the help of former Habs forward Mathieu Darche. I’m good for the dinner, also picking up the tab of Darche for his role in getting the photo shot.

But the story gets better:

Next Thursday, Oct. 25, The Gazette will begin a five-day online auction for two seats at our table – one for the highest bidder, a second for that person’s guest – with proceeds of the auction going to The Gazette Christmas Fund, our annual fundraising effort to aid Montrealers in need during the holiday season.

The Gazette is picking up the cost of the high bidder’s seat; Armstrong was so delighted with the charity angle that he’s chipping in to buy the seat of the high bidder’s guest. The dinner is expected to be held in early November, at the mutual convenience of all.

This is guaranteed to be a night of exquisite dining and some fantastic story-telling. Keep an eye on Hockey Inside/Out for more details. The auction begins Oct. 25 and will run online through Monday, Oct. 29.

1. Haborama says:

I nominate JohnBellyful for Prime Minister

• Habfan10912 says:

2nd. Cal as Defence Minister?

———————————–

• JohnBellyful says:

If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve.
      (Wait a sec, do I get to see hockey games for free? Do the opening kick-off at the Grey Cup? I do? Wow!)
      If nominated, I will run, but not very hard and not for very long; if elected, I will serve when the spirit moves me.
      “I will serve when the spirit moves me.”
      Now there’s a campaign slogan.

• Cal says:

Um….ditto. What JB said. Yeah, that’s the ticket!

• JohnBellyful says:

Hey, Cal, I could use a campaign chief, and seeing as you’re a chief now, whaddya say? You could write your own song, Hail to the Chief.
          And if you want the defence portfolio, sure, why not?
          Let’s see, Jim could be Minister of Veteran Affairs (although he’d have to run that by his wife first; she might not be so accommodating).
          I’m sure we could fill a Cabinet with HIO posters. Or stuff a drawer.

• HabFab says:

I would normally be interested in the Finance Ministry but I know to the HIO crowd that would mean me picking up the tab… :)

• JohnBellyful says:

Minister for Status of Women? That way you could be picking up … uh …ideas on how to promote the full participation of women in the economic, social and democratic life of Canada.

• habsfan0 says:

Er…with all due respect…I knew Pat Paulsen…I regularly watched Pat Paulsen…Pat Paulsen was a friend of mine…JohnBellyful..you’re no Pat Paulsen.

• Habfan10912 says:

An example of the many fans in the US absolutely addicted to this game. Problem? Not enough of them.
      Off and running gang. Everyone enjoy your day and I will see many if you in 6 days at the mini summit
      CHeers.

———————————–

2. Habfan10912 says:

A part of the PR game or just being nice?

———————————–

• JohnBellyful says:

The owners could learn a lesson from Alfie’s example. They should be popping into arenas around the country, sharing their expertise with fellow capitalists on how small town teams can make a fortune: use less butter on the popcorn, keep the heaters turned down, introduce 30/70 draws, reuse old hockey tape, stop the atoms from forming a union … It’s all good.

• B says:

The article states that it was done as part of a project by the NHLPA and has so far involved at least 75 players. While it may be PR motivated, it must be a huge thrill for those kids to skate with an NHL player.

3. frontenac1 says:

Thanks for the report Burly. Ya done good Amigo!

4. bigjames says:

i bought kovy’s freaking car after the allstar game in montreal a few years ago and donated it right back to charity. if you all don’t bid a reasonable price for this gem, i will do the same and i have no hope of making the dinner given where i live! so please bid well!!

5. parkex says:

I’m switching allegiance to Maroons:

6. piper says:

HiB, thanks for the good review on the game last night. Looks like Tinordi is picking it up where he left off with the Knights last year. Thats great news. I hope to get down to a few Dogs games this season but probably not when the baby leafs are in town. Too hard to find parking unless you go very early.

7. Chris1138 says:

I’ll be at the Ricoh Coliseum this afternoon cheering on the Dogs – albeit with a bunch of Leaf fans! I hope they can sweep the home and home!

–| Brad Marchand | Starley Cup Chanpiar 2011 |–

8. JohnBellyful says:

Captain’s log, stardate 4304.8

Spock and I, and the crew of the Enterprise, are to return to Earth to mediate in a longstanding dispute between a warrior tribe and a hostile entity known as The Sootz.
    Little life remains on the planet that gave birth to mankind. Its ecosystems were destroyed by centuries of abuse, forcing the warring nations to finally come together and craft a desperate plan to save the species by colonizing distant worlds.
    Given a second chance, we have spread our seed across the universe in harmony. Among our own kind, humans have known peace unlike any they have experienced in their eons of existence.
    What’s happening on Earth reminds us of what we once were: divided, suspicious, foolish.
    This could be Spock’s and my greatest challenge.

Captain’s log, stardate 4317.2

It’s worse than I ever have imagined or Spock postulated. These people are mad! Stark, raving lunatics! On the one side are the Playerz, gladiators-for-hire who once earned fabulous riches while in the employ of the Sootz, whose great wealth is now just a faint memory.
    Today both sides are enfeebled members of the idle class, leading lives of subsistence, characterized by intense bitterness toward one another.
    The retail of spurious artifacts called souvenirs and forged autographs of heroes long ago is their sole means of income. Incredibly, there is still a market for these false goods among the descendants of fans who moved on with their lives to other planets, but inherited a predilection for items emblematic of a joyful period in a time of turmoil. Researchers refer to this as “pseudo-nostalgia.”
    Our initial contact did not go well with the leaders of either group, der Fehrer XIV and Bettman 9.0. Both are entrenched in a power struggle that has consumed their families and symbiotic hosts for generations.
    A fresh start tomorrow might provide us with reason for hope.

Captain’s log, stardate 4365.1

Repeated and exhaustive attempts at mediating a settlement have failed miserably. Spock tried to effect a rapprochement between der Fehrer XV and Bettman 9.5 by means of a mind meld but he came up empty-headed. He’s off on sick leave, leaving me to tackle this quandary alone.
    I recruited one of my senior officers to exercise her diplomatic charms but the two idiots spurned Urwoohoo’s advances. There’s something definitely wrong with these guys.
    I’ll ask Bones to do a check-up on ALL the disputants.

Captain’s log, stardate 43068.4
    Bones turned in the results of his scans today. It’s serious. The Playerz, the Sootz and their two leaders have suffered extensive genetic damage over time. Their CBA has mutated! They’re incapable of reaching agreement on anything substantive.
    Bones confirmed there’s nothing medicine can do to turn off the hereditary mechanism that predisposes them to mutual hatred. They are doomed to disagree for eternity!

Captain’s log, stardate 4401.6
    The Enterprise is heading back home, with everyone aboard in great spirits. They were feeling low for awhile after I destroyed Earth with a particle beam weapon we have on loan, even though I had made it clear Earth needed to be obliterated to sanitize, or rather, dehumanize the solar system and prevent the spread of discord across the universe.
    But those frowns soon turned to smiles when I announced each crew member was receiving a tonne apiece of the Earth’s remnants we have in tow with the tractor beam. Those souvenir pieces will sell like Turkana hot cakes once the fans hear about them. Certified, too.
    (Spock’s not getting any. Serves the Vulcan right for going wimpy on me.)

You sir, need NHL hockey back in your life. :)

• JohnBellyful says:

Yes, balance is everything.
        Speaking of bank balances, I was wanting to lower mine a bit by purchasing a ticket to next Friday’s game. I’ve phoned several times, left a couple of messages but I’ve yet to hear back from Mr. Diamond.
        Whassup? Was there a secret password I was supposed to give? I did mention HIO the first time ………………….oh.

We have encountered same thing in our efforts to get a few more tickets. I am going to email and phone Greg myself today as well. I wonder also, I know the Dogs were caught off guard by the huge demand for tix last night. I am guessing he is swamped. If I do get through to Greg, I will grab some extra tix. Sorry about this JB, I suggest you still plan to attend, I have some “ideas” about how to make sure we all get in the game. Have done before at Copps.

• JohnBellyful says:

Thanks, Burl’.
            (Do we have to crawl under a fence? Scale a wall? Run across a roof? I don’t minding doing it, but I need to know if I should wear jeans and burglar’s boots. Which I’d have to borrow. The boots.)

• HabFab says:

No, Scotty can beam you in… :)

• JohnBellyful says:

I hope so but it will take a broad beam. :)

• Cal says:

Holy cow funny! Great job, JB! :D
      (PS: Burli may be right.)

9. Hobie Hansen says:

Good morning Bulldogs’ fans!

Kind of interesting watching the game in Hamilton over a grainy and choppy stream over the internet last night. The stream was from the big screen in Copps Coliseum but the audio portion of it was from the Toronto radio crew.

Glad the game is on television tonight in HD :-). The one thing I could gather from last night’s game is that Nathan Beaulieu enjoys carrying the puck. That’s not earth shattering news but I thought it was a good sign. He made several rushes from the Hamilton zone and either dumped the puck in the corner or tried to get things started after crossing the Toronto blue line.

As I mentioned, the video was bad and I didn’t watch the entire game. The Marlies could have been up 4-0 after the 1st period if it weren’t for some pretty surprising goaltending from Robert Mayer.

Even though the Dogs won, I hope for a little better showing tonight because the Marlies are one of the better clubs, without a doubt, and if the youth on the Dogs have the type of season the Marlies did last year it’s a very good thing!

Oh and for you guys organizing that mini-sumit, I saw all kids of ads for $3.00 beers in Hamilton on Friday nights. I wish I could join you guys!

Reminder to everyone, Sportsnet One is carrying Dogs/Marlies at 7pm tonight.