Habs travel to Philly; Bruins get Jaromir Jagr

The Canadiens, coming off a 4-1 win over the Carolina Hurricanes Monday night at the Bell Centre, were given a day away from the rink Tuesday as they travelled to Philadelphia to face the Flyers on Wednesday night (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690). The game in Philly will be the first of three in four nights for the Habs, who play host to the Winnipeg Jets on Thursday before the Boston Bruins visit the Bell Centre on Saturday.

The Bruins will have Jaromir Jagr in their lineup when they come to Montreal after acquiring the veteran forward from the Dallas Stars on Tuesday in exchange for a conditional second-round draft pick and two prospects – Lane MacDermid and Cody Payne. The conditional second-round pick this year will become a first-round pick if Boston advances to the Eastern Conference final.

In 34 games with the Stars this season, the 41-year-old Jagr posted 14-12-26 totals and was minus-5 while averaging 18:17 of ice time.

The Canadiens, with a 23-7-5 record, have 51 points through 35 games. The last time they had that many points through 35 games was 1978-79, when they had 54 points after 35 games and went on to win their fourth straight Stanley Cup.

Monday’s game marked the Canadiens’ first Autism Awareness Night at the Bell Centre. Lending support to the event was Canadiens goaltending coach Pierre Groulx and Scott Mellanby, the team’s player personnel director, who both have autistic children.

On the eve of Tuesday’s World Autism Awareness Day, Canadiens management and coaches wore blue puzzle-piece-shaped Autism Speaks lapel pins during the game with Hurricanes head coach Kirk Muller and his staff also wearing pins in support.

The Habs launched a number of initiatives, running well beyond the night itself, to promote the cause.

(Photo by Paul Chiasson/The Gazette)

Stars trade Jagr to Bruins for prospects, pick, by NHL.com

Habs continue roll with win over ‘Canes, by Pat Hickey

Price grateful for blocked shots, by Pat Hickey

Autism Awareness Night a first for Habs, by Dave Stubbs

Habs finding heroes where you least expect them, by canadiens.com

Canadiens vs. Hurricanes photo gallery

Former Habs Koivu, Souray shine with Ducks, by Stu Cowan

1. habs001 says:

Tyler Seguin..first year… .74 games….11 goals 11 assists minus 4..Previous year he played a full season in the OHL….Galchenyuk has 15 points and plus 8 in 35 games…not playing his natural position….

• Harditya says:

Galchenyuk will be a better player than Seguin.

• The Jackal says:

Yeah, don’t know why some are starting to over-scrutinize Chucky’s performance. Guess there is nothing else to talk about. Ah, the dog days of winning teams.

• jols101 says:

As a guy who loves watching Galchenyuk play, I really thought he had elevated his game against the Pens and Bruins. Then came the games against the Rangers and Canes – he really appeared lost.
      A little strange because his downward play coincides with the return of Prust, which I thought would just help his confidence and elevate his game even more.

2. ponyboy says:

For what it’s worth, Pierre on Melnicks show likes the trade. Nothing but praise for Dewskie.

3. Luke says:

Brewskie? My kinda player. Good job MB!

4. Harditya says:

Davis Drewiske is a bottom-pairing defenseman. He played in 20 games with the Los Angeles Kings this season, putting up 4 points and a +3 rating. He’s 6′ 2″ tall and weighs 220 pounds.

His talent analysis on Hockey’s future “Drewiske is an intelligent two-way defenseman with very strong leadership skills. While he has good offensive ability, it is his outstanding defensive play that stands out more. He is very good in one-on-one situations and does a superb job of staying with his assignment.”

5. commandant says:

I’ve been saying all week we need help on D more than forward, especially with Bourque now skating again.

Drewiske for a 5th is the kind of move i like. Depth at a cheap price.

Kid will work as a 6th/7th D for playoffs. Good defensively, especially on the bottom pair, and can clear the crease.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

6. ClutchNGrab says:

Not trying to participate in the idea of trading our captain but just to clarify, a NTC can have multiple forms. It can be a list of teams given to the GM at the begining of the season, it can be teams you want to go to or teams you don’t want to go to. I wouldn’t be surprise if there is as many forms hasthey were all different. Saying X can’t be traded because he has a NTC doesn’t make much sense, Erik Cole had one didn’t he?

• twilighthours says:

It doesn’t matter whether he can or can’t, or whether he will or won’t. What matters is that we post awesome and fantastical trade scenarios involving him.

7. mdp2011 says:

@DarrenDreger: Los Angeles trades Drewiske to Habs for Montreal’s own 5th round pick in the 2013 Draft.#tradecentre

can someone tell me who he is, lol?

Edit:

8. kempie says:

So I was out for a couple of hours. Heard about the MAB trade on the radio. Immediately had to rush home to check HIO. What did I miss so far?

9. twilighthours says:

So who’s left out there to snap up? Clowe? Bring him in. Streit? Definitely. Gimme some of that. How about pominville? Yeppers. Heck, I’ll take some Vanek, too. What else does Calgary have to offer? Glencross would look good with the CH on his chest. I also think ovechkin could help us out. Huberdeau must be available, too – Florida is so bad. Just hope we don’t have to give up too much. Then we can beat the penguins and beat up the bruins. Or was it beat up the penguins and beat the bruins? A heck I can’t remember just make some damn trades already because everyone else has.

10. frontenac1 says:

Chara lost his Mojo to TU-74. Jagr will load his pants when he sees the Russian tank coming at him again.

11. Sportfan says:

Weber is already one of our D that many want traded just because he doesn’t fit in our plans but what about St-Denis and Pateryn?

• shiram says:

St-Denis might be on his last leg… UFA after this season and 27 already.
      Pateryn is still young and will likely be a key part of the Bulldogs blueline, besides he is signed for next season already.

• vancouverite says:

Send Weber, Pateryn, St. Denis & our 1st for Pominville and a low pick (5th round – Timmins will make good use of it)… Neither of those 3 defensemen fit in our plans, while Buffalo just unloaded 2 of its defensemen and could give these guys some ice-time this year and see how they fit into their plans.

• neumann103 says:

Why in God’s name would the Sabres trade Pominville (who is under contract next year for $5.3M which is not bad value) for a collection of castoffs?

I mean I am considerably more positive on Weber and St Denis than the average HIO GM but what does Buffalo get :

Weber: a guy the Habs have decided cannot play in the NHL and who will likely be a UFA after the Habs don’t re-sign him
        St Denis: a guy who the Habs appear to think is a career AHLer
        Pateryn: a mid level prospect
        5th round draft pick

in return for a .8 point per game two way forward.

“Et le but!”

12. habitunts1 says:

Can someone hand me a dose of reality because I sure would love to have Vanek (The Bruins Slayer) on our team. Any Chances that the Habs might be interested in his services?

#10

• kempie says:

Sure, but I doubt Buffalo would want to play against him repeatedly when he puts on the CH so, your reality check is that it would be shocking to say the least if he doesn’t go at least out of the division and probably out west.

• Habfan17 says:

I am sure Bergevin would like to add him but it would cost too much

Habfan17

• Stevie.Ray says:

He is signed on for one more season so we would probably have to shed some salary in the summer if we went for him. He would be über-expensive too. He will most likely be moved next trade deadline unless he signs an extension

13. Vinny Red says:

Hey Shane, TSN690 just quoted you on air regarding Jagr

“Bah, he’s tired after 30 seconds, and useless at 40 seconds, he’ll be funny to watch this weekend as he calls for the the oxygen after every shift”

• I ony hope it’s true, i have no idea what Jagr plays like, I have Center Ice but there are a number of teams I will not watch. Dallas is on that list…..Phoenix……all teams in the South East :lol: NJ Devils, Calgary Flames……Blue Jackets,,,,who am I missing here, Shane you’re thinking outoaud again, no I’m not, yes you are…..step into my office son….your fired!

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Vinny Red says:

Throw in San Jose and you’ve got a list! (I have an irrational hate for SJ, I can’t stand watching, I think it has something to do with Thornton)

Jagr unfortunately is going to help them out. Sure he’s slow as molasses, but he’s there to provide offense and spark the PP. The guy still have great hands and amazing vision (ask Pleky lol) He’s not going to get the tough defensive assignments or be asked to play d really (other then being responsible and not floating). Boston has the depth to ensure defensive coverage on the other wing, especialy if he plays with Plekanec-lite (arguably), Krejci

Edit – Jagr played in 34/35Games, Dallas had 24 PPG, and Jagr has been in on 9 of them (6G, 3 A), so he should be able to help them out. Especially with better offensive players to play with.

14. billylove says:

Adding Jagr isn’t going to help the goons. Some say Jagr will boost the goon pp. Well, they certainly do need more pp goals, but it’s damn hard to score pp goals when you aren’t on the pp. Total power play opportunities for the goons – last in the league with 92. That speaks more to their goony style of hockey which is creating far fewer pp’s than anyone else. Is Jagr going to transform the teams style to address this major weakness? No way. Oh, by the way, the Habs lead the NHL with 150 pp opportunities. Much more discipline. MT for coach of the year!

15. habs-fan-84 says:

I can’t wait until the deadline has come and gone.

16. donmarco says:

Arizona acquires Carson Palmer from the Raiders. Jay Feaster to hold press conference to express disappointment at not getting a quarterback for his power play.

17. steve29 says:

Who is this Cristo Superman you’re talking about trading Georges for a guy playing in a league that would have a hard time beating a good senior team

18. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Rant Facts ala Nick Fury:

1) Good players with low cap hits ain’t going no-where
    2) GMs aren’t boneheads even if they are a bunch of pencil necked desk jockeys – don’t think yer gonna steal a player
    3) DD’s tougher than an army boot after a 20 mile hike so he’ll dig that puck out from behind the net for Max and Gallagher – you watch
    4) Next puke that calls for Gionta to be traded is gonna get a NTC up the YNW …. man up and read a book for once
    5) Quit worrying about the bruins, they’ll find a way to lose and lars ain’t afraid of’em.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• jols101 says:

I don’t want to see Gio traded but players with NTC get traded all the time. They just have to be consulted about the trade first. So relax there tough guy.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Actually they don’t and they get traded when they are unhappy, the team is floundering and it is a better fit for all concerned.

None of these facts fit the current situation of the Habs captain

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

19. Un Canadien errant says:

I think someone tweeted a couple days ago that Marc Bergevin was interested in Mike Rupp, Kyle Clifford and another hombre. Anyone know any more about this, or have thoughts?

• Hali_Hab says:

Yeah that was me. The third party in that rumor was Brian Bickel. I can’t remember where I read it but a trade for that type of player seems more realistic than a trade for a over the hill/ broken rental. Rupp is a playoff performer with a couple of cups. I would be happy with either him or bickel. They fill a need and won’t cost the farm.

• Hali_Hab says:

Sorry. I didn’t tweet it. I just posted about reading the same tweet.

20. SuperHabFan says:

I would not mind Pominville at all. This may not be a popular opinion but Galchenyuk is just way too soft for a hard grind in the playoffs this year in a third line role. Would love to see Bourque back by the playoffs.

Playoff line-up

Ryder Plekanec Pominville
    Pacioretty Desharnais Gallagher
    Bourque Eller Gionta
    Moen Halpern Prust

• johnnylarue says:

Sorry–who did we give up for Pominville, here? We’re talking about a roster player (signed through next year) and a consistent 60-80 point guy…

Not going for peanuts.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Apparently he is being traded for Gionta – Bergevin consulted with him and he was delighted to go to a rebuilding club and waived his NTC.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• donmarco says:

Way too much cap space would be taken up by his contract next year. In a year where there will be a ton of free agents with a ten percent drop in the cap will make it a buyers market big time.

• H.Upmann says:

the kid’s doing fine. It would be hard as he’ll if they’re expecting him to carry the team, but they’re not. Bruins did the same with Seguin. Chuck is 19, and a known gym rat. When he starts putting on that musvle and has more experience, he’s going to be a beast for us. Some perspective: he made the team from first camp. Thats impressive sh*t

21. Jimmy9Toes says:

I am wondering how you guys would feel if Kristo is signed and comes right to the big club only to take Chucky’s spot for 3 or 4 games to see how he does. I agree with a lot of you guys that thinks Chucky needs to spend a few games watching from above.

• Kooch7800 says:

I don’t see kristo making any impact this season. Every point means a lot right now and introducing a kid who has never played pro is a bit of a risk.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• donmarco says:

Gallagher, Chucky, Pateryn, Tinordi, Dumont and Beaulieu this season? How many games did they have in the NHL before this season? Did the points mean less when they were getting their taste of the NHL? C’mon.

• Kooch7800 says:

Chucky, Pateryn, Tinordi, Dumont and Beaulieu All played in the AHL in the same playing system as the Montreal Canadiens.

Gallagher and Chucky had the mini training camps with the habs and not to mention that Gallagher also played with the bulldogs for the first half of the season learning the systems. Chucky is an elite hockey player with an extremely high fitness and hockey IQ.

You are not comparing apples to apples. Kristo was playing University hockey in a completely different system. I don’t think he can jump into the line up and instantly be a difference maker in the best league in the world. Sorry, but call me a skeptic

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• donmarco says:

OK, you’re a skeptic. LOL. But historically NCAA graduates tend to fit into an NHL system faster as they practice at a 3-1 rate compared to the AHL and NHL teams since they play so fewer games. I’m not calling him a savior or that he would be anything less than Dumont was during his call up, but the Canadiens have successfully given each of the players noted above a taste of life at the NHL level, and it sure doesn’t seem to have affected the team’s performance so far. Seems to be a formula the players like as well, as the chemistry appears to be stronger than I’ve ever seen. OK, call me an optimist. :-)

• Jimmy9Toes says:

Chucky played only a handfull of games last year due to an injury. Kristo has played almost every game the last 4 years in college. I think a few practices and give him a shot is all i am saying.

• Kooch7800 says:

Nether of us have a crystal ball so…LOL

I haven’t seen Kristo play enough to convince me that is all. Plus the other prospects know the Canadiens systems.

I am just hoping he signs with the habs period….he still may go FA

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“If Danny Kristo is as good as Chris Kreider I think we should let him wear #9.”
            - Sean Bonjovi

• I haven’t seen Kristo play one game this year, but if everything I read is true then there would be no problem with a college vet coming in, but I bet Galchenyuk over Kristo in the future. I love what I’ve seen in Galchenyuk.. fast, powerful, great shot, slick hands..oh my!

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• donmarco says:

I’d be in for that. Chucky does appear to have hit the wall lately and might be looking at being a healthy scratch no matter what in the near future. And the Habs have already tried the 4-5 game thing with Pateryn, Tinordi, Dumont and now Beaulieu. Amazing that they can give each of these kids a taste of the NHL life and still be second overall in the conference. Great days ahead for this team.

22. habfan53 says:

Chris Higgins just signs a 4 year extension with Vancouver for 2.5 per. Good for him. I liked Chris and at one point thought he and Komisarek were the futur of the franchise.

I think the Jagr trade confirms that Feaster got skunked on his two deals.

Jagr is really slow these days but is still a pretty good offensive threat. He could be beneficial with the right line mates, ATOI and PP minutes. The two Boston prospects are no better or worse than the ones that Calgary received from St Louis or Pittsburgh. If Boston goes to the Eastern final (which is quite possible), then Dallas gets a low level 1st rounder similar to the Penguin pick.

Iginla is an elite talent who is a better player than Jagr at the present moment and brings more intangibles. Bouwmeester is a great 2nd pairing Dman who is also signed for next season. Feaster blew it, big time.

Agree on Feaster, but also think this shows the problem with ownership in Calgary, multiple owners who probably rarely agree on key decisions. The hiring of Feaster was questionable enough, the moves he made last off season and then O’Reilly and now these trades. He is fast approaching Mike Milbury Management Classification.

• The Juice says:

The problem with the Bruins offer was the conditional pick…if the Bruins flounder, it is worth considerably less…

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• donmarco says:

“When” the Bruins flounder, not “if”. The way they’re playing lately they look over rated compared to Hawks, Pens, Ducks, and yes, Canadiens. They’ll be starting their backup tonight again, so maybe the confidence in Rask, who has no experience in playoff hockey, is diminishing. One top line, an underachieving second, an aging D-corps (except for Hamilton), and an inability to hold a lead. That pretty much sums up Boston right now.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Maybe it’s perspective – Feaster’s hands were tied by NTCs and NTC except to Pittsburgh … Boston was offering more.

Bouwmeester has a huge cap hit for next year – so he is a only long term rental for St-Louis – hard to say what he will get them next year.

I think we need to be careful to look at all the things that have gone into the Calgary deals (and ones to come) and not to jump into a groupthink that Feaster is an idiot.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• 24 Cups says:

The Iginla NTC hostage situation is something that should never be repeated again. Feaster surely had interference from Edwards but I would have at least pushed the Pens to the brink tomorrow in order to try and get a bit more in return.

24. joshbenn says:

Anyone think Curtis Glencross from Calgary could be a good fit?

A solid 20 goal/40 pts a season guy with some grit. He wouldn’t be rental because he has two more years left on a deal with a caphit of 2.55 million. He would slot in nicely and give us some depth on the top-9.

Maybe a second round pick and a mid-level prospect would be enough to get him. (You never know with Feaster)

• mark-ID says:

Everyone keeps saying the problem with Glencross is that Feaster loves him and he has an ideal contract with some years left on it. The general concensus is that he won’t be moved. If someone does manage to get him I could see it being Ottawa….with Bishop being included in the trade.

I agree though, would love to see him with the Habs.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Curtis Glencross is a prairie boy who has a big ranch and whose whole family lives in Alberta. He specifically took less money from the Flames in return for a No Trade Clause so he would never have to leave there.

25. Skeptical says:

This is what I’d like to see moving forward towards the playoffs.

Ryder Plekanec Pominville
    Pacioretty Desharnais Gallagher
    Galchenyuk Eller Gionta
    Moen Halpern Prust/Armstrong

There’s not a team out there who didn’t played at 100% would beat us ….

26. bendrixian says:

Oilers with a big move!

27. Habfan17 says:

The best news about the Jagr and Bouwmeiter trades is that both Boston and St Louis didn’t give up much. That should help if Bergevin does indeed want Clowe.

On the team 1200 this morning they were discussing Colorado and how they would like to move Johnson, the final piece in that terrible Stewart trade to St. Louis. I wonder if they would take Leblanc, Weber, and Gorges. Johnson is a righty and would make a good pairing with Markov and then Emelin could move back to his natural left side and pair with Subban.

Habfan17

• That’s not crazy, but might be a tad much for Johnson, and I’m not sure I’d want to subtract a team leader right before a playoff run.

• dorvalhabsfan says:

Maybe replace Georges with a Draft Pick? maybe one of those conditional ones… based on Johnsons play next season… Conditional draft picks seem pretty popular these days! otherwise see if you can replace Goerges for Kristo…

Go Habs Go

• Habfan17 says:

I added Gorges due to spots on defence. Johnson would be a top four. If they would take Weber and Diaz. I wouldn’t want to include Kristo. If The Habs were going to include Kristo in a trade, I would rather it be in one for Stewart from St. Louis.

Habfan17

• D Mex says:

Another plus is that Jagr will oblige them to sit one of their ‘ stars ‘ in the press box – thoughts on who that will be ?

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

With the injury to Kelly they have had to dress some not ready AHL ers like Caron – so he will likely slot in with Peverly on the third line – Ryder’s old spot!

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• bwoar says:

How about Beaulieu (a righty) + 1st for Johnson? He is the kind of D we’re missing.

“thoroughbred”

• Seps says:

Are you insane?

• Habfan17 says:

Not Beaulieu. He looks like he will be very good. The Habs have could use more size and Johnson is a bigger version of Gorges and as much as Gorges has been around and may be a leader, of all the dmen, I feel he is the most expendable. I do think he would have more value to a cup contender.

Habfan17

28. Stevie.Ray says:

“@TSNBobMcKenzie: Anything is still possible on SJ’s Ryane Clowe but it sure sounds like NYR, VAN and PHI are most likely landing spots, assuming he’s traded.”

I think Montreal will get a good player nobody is looking at

29. The Jackal says:

Have we repatriated Squid yet??? That’s one deal I’d be down for.

30. HabFanSince72 says:

So things worked out for the Bs. They gave up way less for Jagr than they were planning to for Jarome. And Jagr just might be better right now.

31. kerrgte says:

The Bruins just got older and slower. I bet there’s another Bruins deal in the works. At this time, I think our boys can handle the Bruins.

I think MB is looking to get better for the future rather than a simple rental player.

• SteverenO says:

Jagr has been on the ice for 15 PPGs this season with Dallas (out of 24 PP goals scored). Boston entire team has scored only 14 PP goals this year, and no one has been on the ice for more than 8 of them (Peverly). The PP was one of the Bruins glaring weak spots and Jagr should help them improve in that area.

I still think they can be beat in the playoffs, but it just got a harder.

regards,

Steve O.

• shiram says:

PP problems? They should have scooped up Kaberle!

• SteverenO says:

Actually, Kaberle was on for no goasl in 24 minutes of PP time this season, maybe the reason why he is watching the games from the press box. He did pretty well at even strength, though.

regards,

Steve O.

• Luke says:

This really is your favourite stat, isn’t it?
        You love this one!

• SteverenO says:

I don’t really have a favourite stat, I like all of them. I do find it interesting to measure a player s contribution by the frequency of goals scored and goals allowed in different situations.

How many people realized that last year Diaz played 80 minutes on the PK unit last season and only 2 goals were scored while he was on the ice? I posted here ,(and I was right), that the Habs’ Penalty killing would improve after Gill was traded last season. His absence allowed Diaz, Georges, and Subban (all were more effective than Gill) to get more ice time on the penalty killing .

regards,

Steve O.

32. Bripro says:

Apologies if this was posted, but here’s Jason Pominville’s view on the trade speculation.

33. mark-ID says:

Jagr would have been our leading goal scorer had he came here(14). I had no idea he was scoring so much this year.

Whether or not you think the Habs should have gone for him….I find it hard to deny that Boston didn’t have to give up much.

2nd round and two low level prospects. A the end of the day they should become a better team….and their powerplay should also improve.

Now that Jay-Z is a sports agent and represents Robinson Cano, I wonder whom the first NHL player will be to hire him for representation?

35. jols101 says:

Great pick up by the F’n Bruins. They are a better team today then they were yesterday. Damn.

• chanchilla says:

Chara’s really not that great against us this year the way he takes penalties in crucial moments of the game.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Recently finding myself thinking along the same lines as Chanchilla: is Chara in fact overrated? Huge, fastest slap, imposing, freakish reach etc, and he will no doubt step up come the playoffs.

But he is OFTEN on the ice when we score (because he can’t actually nail our fast guys in the corners?) or else IN THE BOX when we score.

Or else he just scores FOR us! As in the tying goal last week.

Am I getting ahead of myself here?

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Mike, you are not getting ahead of yourself. Chara has incredible positives but he also has weaknesses.

Put the puck at his feet and watch him stumble – the small ice and close quarters are not always his friend.

Low and inclose he can be easily beat – plus he was getting worn down with the injury to the underrated Boychuk.

Bottom line is that he is a Norris trophy candidate but not invincible.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• donmarco says:

The question is “how good were they yesterday?”

36. Dr.Rex says:

Random Tuesday Thoughts.

1) Jagr was not a fit in Montreal. NOT that he is not a solid player right now but he doesn’t fit our strategy, mentality or lineup.
    2) I’m willing to predict that the Stars will not be getting a 1st round pick for Jagr when the Bruins season is over.
    3) Many have frowned on Clowe but really his mean ass mug and size would be a welcome addition to our 4th line. I guarantee that if Clowe was on our team on March 3rd then Chara would never have run Emelin.
    4) Players that MB should at least be kicking tires on include Robidas, Glencross, Clarkson, Stewart and David Bolland.
    5) The Bruins are panicking and it has more to do with what is transpiring in La Belle province then it does with the Penguins. We are in their heads. GO HABS!

• Strummer says:

3) Chara got 17 minutes in penalties on that play which was a huge factor in the Habs winning.
      I also recall White turning the other cheek in one of his last games and drawing a 4 minute power play. There is little fighting in the post season.
      We need some offensive capability to go with the grit

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Clowe wants an extension…no way.

• I really think Ott is a better fit for us than Clowe — and likely cheaper, especially if Clowe is demanding an expensive contract extension.

I can’t see Clarkson or Bolland being available, but Robidas and Glencross might be. Robidas’s trade value is probably higher than it should be right now, but Glencross is intriguing — and Feaster seems to be in a giving mood these days…

• jols101 says:

Clowe is not a 4th liner, never has been. He wouldn’t agree to a trade to a team that would use him as a 4th liner. If the Habs get him they would use him in the top 9. Maybe giving Galchenyuk (I love the kid) some press box time.

• bwoar says:

1. Jagr & Plekanec have dynamite chemistry together, are from the same town, and have had nothing but great success playing for Czech Republic and on a club team as well. So right from #1 we’ll have to differ.

2. The Bruins will win a round. The Pens will not.

3. If we give up any assets just to put Clowe on line 4, MB is dumber than a wet bag of hammers.

4. Yes please, other than Clarkson. Way, way overrated.

5. Only air is in their heads, not sure why people overplay the ‘We’re in their heads now’ idea.

“thoroughbred”

• frontenac1 says:

Why are we screwing around with trades,waivers etc. Markov”s old team Vityaz Chekhov is done for the season and some of his buddies could help out.

37. Sportfan says:

2.5 per season 4 years Chris Higgins not bad for our ex player especially since he seemed to have lost his way haha remember when he was our 2nd liner?

38. Mikey_39 says:

One last attempt to save TSN690. It takes two seconds to sign this petition.

As a Montrealer studying abroad, I turn to TSN690 a lot as it connects me back to the teams and city I love.

39. kerrgte says:

Boston got the better of the deal.

Despite their recent weakness, Boston is going for it. For Jagr, they gave up a couple of low pick journeymen and a 2nd (maybe a first if they go thru 2 rounds in the playoffs).

I’m confident that if there is a good deal to be made, Marc will improve the club.

cheers

40. Mick says:

Habs need to pick up a depth D that can play 10 min. and kill penalties.
    Hal Gill????

• Say Ash says:

Not gonna play for MT

• Timo says:

I think he made some comments that would lead to suggest that he wouldn’t. I don’t remember what he said specifically though.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Again, this is speculation guys. There were anonymous comments made to a Gazette reporter that disparaged Michel Therrien, and some quick-thinking HIO members attributed them to Hal Gill, because he’d recently done an in-depth interview with the same reporter. And that is the sorry state of HIO sometimes, something inaccurate gets repeated enough times that it becomes gospel, HIO canon.

“François Gagnon wants to trade/get rid of P.K.”

“We can’t compete against the Bruins.”

“Jared Tinordi will destroy Zdeno Chara.”

Not picking on you Timo, you do qualify your statement, but let’s not repeat this old trope, it has no basis in fact.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

You have a time machine?

• I think his name is Francis Bouillon. : ) I love the guy, but even more than that, I’d love to see Beaulieu and Tinordi bump him to a 7th D role next year.

I wouldn’t mind picking up Foster off waivers for nothing though, and then dealing/packaging poor Weber. He’s a better player than he gets credit for in Mtl. Hope he succeeds somewhere.

41. Stevie.Ray says:

We should try to sign a big name player for 1 season. Quick and easy way to get a free prospect and draft pick

42. Strummer says:

Jagr is such a mercenary.

Does he have a business card that reads:

“Have stick, will travel” ?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Hobie Hansen says:

YA, next to his senior citizen discount card and his casino players club card…

• Lafleurguy says:

If you could name the star of the old TV cowboy show, I would say you have the post of the day (I can’t off the top of my head, it wasn’t Shannon Tweed). Show is “Have Gun Will Travel.”

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Strummer says:

Richard Boone (sp) also played Hec Ramsey in the 70′s

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Lafleurguy says:

Congrats, P.O.D. (one poster’s opinion)
          (Was Shannon Tweed in any of the episodes?)
          “May you live in interesting times.”

• D Mex says:

Bonus questions :
          - what was his character’s name ?
          - what was his signature ‘ logo ‘ ?
          - what weapon did he carry ? and
          - one word to describe his attire ?

edit : no cheating on the web ;-)

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• Strummer says:

His name was Paladin (sp)
            the rest i can’t answer

______________________________________________________
            “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• 24 Cups says:

Paladin, chess piece, a gun, black

• D Mex says:

- logo was the silhouette of a chess knight
            (it appeared on his ‘ calling card ‘)
            - he carried a derringer, and
            - he dressed entirely in black

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

• D Mex says:

Congrats you old farts :-D !

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

• bwoar says:

PALADIN!
            A chess knight piece
            A lever-action Marlin rifle EDIT: a colt .45 as well
            er… gentlemanly? Cowboy frou-frou, let’s say?

Love that show.

“thoroughbred”

• D Mex says:

Correct on the weaponry bwoar – lotsa’ guns – charter member of the NRA :-p

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• Cal says:

Richard Boone.
        Man, I am old.

43. If Jagr and his 14 goals are worth a 2nd and a couple of potential 4th-liners, I wonder if Ott could be had from Buffalo for one of our three 2nd-rounders and one or two longshot prospects of our own (guys like Didier, Stejskal, Sullivan, etc.).

44. mrhabby says:

say what you want about jagr..he makes bruins a little more harder to play against. he is always a bitch of a player to get the puck from and strong as on oxe. I don’t know if he has lost a step but will surely be effective in some way..

That being said ..habs can do better.

• shiram says:

Heard he is slow, so that could work for the Habs.

• otter649 says:

Recci survived playing for The Bruins & he was alot slower than Jagr and could barely skate down the full length of the ice usually stopping at the top of the circles in both ends of the rink……

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Please don’t forget that as a medical practitioner he tended to play in a self-consciously measured way that allowed him to keep tabs on his heart-rate and avoid unnecessary straining of his cardio-vascular system.

45. veryhabby says:

Kristo… hoping the wait is for the deadline to pass, as I read somewhere that they are talking about him coming straight to habs. When does the roster open up?

Some interesting…or not… Dmen on waivers today. any you like to pick up as depth dman we need? Foster (Phil); Montador (Chic); Barker (Van)

46. Mattyleg says:

Nucks just re-signed Higgins for 4 years.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

47. Lafleurguy says:

Which move will contribute more to the Habs playoff run:
    1. Signing Danny Kristo
    2. Trade at the deadline (meaning now)
    The two are not mutually exclusive of course.

“May you live in interesting times.”

48. ClutchNGrab says:

Will Rutherford call Dallas for Erik Cole?

49. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Anybody against Stéphane Robidas? Perfect complement to Bouillon…no?

50. shiram says:

Small deal…
    Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
    Hearing the Oilers have made a small deal. Edmtn trades Dane Byers to Wash for Garrett Stafford. #tradecentre

51. Luke says:

Maybe it’s just because of the NCAA Highlights that I accidently caught this weekend, but didn’t Armstrong’s leg injury look relatively minor?

• johnnylarue says:

If by “minor” you mean that you are able to view a video of Armstrong’s injury without requiring a bucket beside you, then yes, you could say it was relatively minor.

Still, I feel for the guy and hope the injury’s not too bad. I admit, it took a while but he’s managed to win me over. Army’s a glue guy. Teammates love him. Therrien also looked visibly affected by the sight of him being helped off the ice.

52. NL Hab says:

A lot of names being moved around today. A lot more action then what I had anticipated. I’m still anxiously waiting for the Danny Kristo signing. I know it has only been a few days since North Dakota was eliminated, but the longer this drags on, the less likely he is to sign with the Habs.
    Hamilton only has a few games left on the schedule so you would think that he would be eager to sign and show the good folks in Hamilton/Montreal what he can do.
    I have my fingers crossed that he will sign but I have said all along that I think he waits until Aug 15th to go the UFA route. I hope I am wrong.

Et Le But

• pmaraw says:

i heard something about him coming straight to the big club if he signs

• Storman says:

He will not go the UFA route, he would then lose the ability to burn off a year of his EL contract, He will sign and play this year so as to use A year of his EL contract. I was recently in St Cloud Minn, talked to a few sources and from what I hear Kristo has never entertained becoming a free agent, but I do hear he wants a chance to play with MTL from the get go, could be the sticking point.

• jmsheehy19 says:

I’d be fine with him getting a go on the 3rd line. Depth is never a bad thing. Though I would be surprised if he’s signed prior to the deadline.

53. Rudy says:

I’m going to ask a stupid question sorry, so can Clowe be traded to a team, and then get an extension immediately with the new team? Would the trade be conditional on them offering him an extension?

54. Dunboyne Mike says:

Whether or not Jagr automatically pushes Boston one round deeper into the playoffs is debatable.

On the other hand…

I was hoping Timo might furnish an opinion regarding the pressure this deal adds to the whole Good Hair situation in the Eastern Conference.

Timo?

• Timo says:

He doesn’t have long hair anymore… It used to be curly and flowing in the wind as he skated… now he just looks like a washed up bruin punk.

Imagine Jagr and Breeze on the same team?

55. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Larry Robinsons 70′s afro and moustache for a conditional second.

56. habs-fan-84 says:

Vancouver might as well have kept Hodgson…but I think Hodgson wanted out to be more than a 3rd line center

The handling of Hodgson was very odd and strange. Vigneault and Gillis both never seemed to like the kid.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

That was a bad deal…trading a potential number #1 center for a poor Lucic imitation…

• habs-fan-84 says:

My thoughts exactly. As I’m sure you know, Kassian was recently sent down.

The problem was everyone knew that with Kessler in the lineup Hodgson’s ceiling was a 3rd line center. Of course, he’s better than that.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Of course, last Sabres game I watched young Mr. Hodgson was playing on the fourth line with John Scott.

57. Dryden_29 says:

There may be a bit of ‘embelishment’ here…I will check with Coach Julien after Dr.Recchi checks his blood pressure lol

58. GuyDoon says:

Timo, looks like the Habs missed out on MA Bergeron. Traded to Carolina today.

59. Habsbill24 says:

Chelios for Savard could be the worst ever.

• Haberoooo13 says:

Agreed…put that lower on also…for some reason we also gave a 2nd round pick.

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

• Habfan10912 says:

Hard to beat that one for sure but the Gomez for Higgins and McDonagh might someday get close.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

My personal worst ever (loved Chelios) but, on paper…not as bad as Ribeiro (your #1 center at the time) for Niinimaa (an injured 7th defenceman).

• Haberoooo13 says:

worse IMO…a 2 time Norris trophy in Chelly was way, way more valuable than Ribeiro is/was/will be

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Savard could still play and contribute…Niinimaa was finished.

• otter649 says:

Supposeably Chelios was given a choice Chicago or Winnipeg & he took Chicago if not Hawerchuck would have been a Hab. Leading to Phil Housely to Jets (Hawerchuck) trade……

• Lafleurguy says:

Glad some and hopefully a()lot of fans don’t pan the Roy for Thibault/Rucinsky/Kovalenko as worst ever. Trade was forced and Houle and brass too classy to trade him say to Boston or Hartford. Patrick went to a team loaded with Forsberg/Sakic/Deadmarsh/Foot and was there for Raymond Bourque’s last kick at the can (meaning Bourque was very good for his two seasons in Denver). My nominee for one of the worst: Leclair/Desjardins/Dionne for Mark Recchi, the dawn of the Habsmurf era.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“the dawn of the Habsmurf era”…how true…lol!

60. Loonie says:

Is it Clowe or nothing for Bergevin?

I’m starting to think so.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

D-man coming…

• Loonie says:

We’ll see.

Boston and Pittsburgh are pretty much out of the Clowe running by default. The Bruins wouldn’t have anywhere to put him and the Penguins are now in a spot where they can easily be outbid.

The Sharks are basically left with the Canucks, Habs and Flyers for Clowe.

I hope Bergevin adds a defenseman and prefer that to a forward. I also hope he has somebody long term in mind at the position because Markov won’t be around forever.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

You think Clowe asking for an extension is scaring teams off? It would me…

• Loonie says:

I think that could be part of it and the funny thing is that the Sharks will move him so as his agent talks extension with teams the suitors are dwindling.

• Cal says:

No worries at the Dman position for the future. It’s the NOW that bugs me. More depth isn’t a bad thing. Foster would be a nice pick up. Maybe Montador as well. Just for this season’s playoff run.

• pmaraw says:

brent burns?

• Habfan10912 says:

Do you think his market value has decreased where Bergevin now has the upper hand?

Starting to wonder about that also Jim. Perhaps with all the suitors leaving the table, MB picks him up for Ian Schultz?

• Loonie says:

I do yes. I think Gills, Holmgren and Bergevin have him in a tough spot.

I think the Blackhawks might be a bit of a wild card there though. They aren’t being mentioned but they could certainly use him.

They also put Olesz on waivers today so they’re making room for potential deals.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I just want some depth on D. With Bourque coming back I think we’re good up front…but if all it took to get Clowe was a 2nd and say Weber, I’d be down…but I guess if Weber is injured he can’t be traded…

61. commandant says:

So 2 down, 2 to go? Was this mornings piece on Dallas being the team to watch prophetic?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Habfan10912 says:

Ben, has the market value for Clowe decreased the last few days?
      And, what can you tell us about Cody Payne of the Plymouth Whalers?

• commandant says:

Up until this year, he was a fourth line fighter for plymouth.

This year he’s moved up, and done ok. But 0.66 PPG as a 19 year old junior isn’t going to wow any scout and he’s not future top 6 material.

His upside is to be a guy who can fight, and play a grinding responsible fourth line game. However thats probably his ceiling. He could end up an AHL pugilist too.

The Bruins didn’t give up much for Jagr, unfortunately.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

62. GuyDoon says:

I’ve been wondering for a FEW DAYS if MB would try to get Talbot and Foster (UFA) from Philly. Now I see Foster is on waivers. He’s huge, but not overly physical. A few years back, Foster was scoring like Souray, on the PP. I still wonder if maybe ….

63. Storman says:

Apparently Brooks sent Sidney a WatOrpik to help his dental recovery

64. Mikey_39 says:

Kind of awesome that we hold a second round pick of two teams who are selling all their big players.

Sad that we didn’t get Jagr, would have loved to see him on a line with Pleck and Ryder.

12 games left in the next 22 days.
    I love it.!
    But will our D hold up??

66. Habfan10912 says:

As expected Armstrong not on flight to Philly. White is.

• Ian Cobb says:

Any word on his leg.? Blown knee cap?

• Habfan10912 says:

Have not heard a thing Ian. I’m thinking either the swelling is so bad they can’t do any kind of test to determine the extent or it’s better then expected news. Burly posted earlier that someone saw him leave the Bell Centre under his own power last night. Fingers crossed for the young man.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Guess Armstrong is not “legstrong”…sorry (at least it’s not a porn name joke…)

• Luke says:

Ya, his Armstrong but the Legweak.

HAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHA!
      That’s gold, Jerry, Gold!!

• Our team just got better, no offense Colby, you really picked up your game the last three and I’m glad our little chat helped you out. Now get better and prepare for the playoffs, we need every single player healthy.

Whitie! Play like you have and stay away from stupid penalties, first to the puck, first to slam him into next week, and if he says do you wanna go, he better drop the gloves first.

No room for error here, season is almost over.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• habs12 says:

It’s just a one game trip anyways so whether it’s minor or major, I would not have expected him to go.

67. Habitforming says:

The Boston/jagr deal is a 2nd rounder. It will become a first rounder if Bos wins 2 playoff series.
    – Bob McKenzie tweet

OUCH!

68. Buzz Lightbeer says:

How many “trade Gionta” comments or “Gionta traded for …? ” rumours will be on here today?

• Storman says:

Buzz Lightbeer awesome

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Take all posters at HIO, subtract the 50 that understand what a No Trade Clause is and you have your answer … sadly a lot.

But on the plus side, they will be asking for a tough guy to fight, bacause really, that’s why Toronto is in first place.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

69. Habfan10912 says:

Bob McKenzie Tweets, “Conditional 2nd rounder BOS will give DAL in Jagr deal becomes a 1st rounder if BOS wins two playoff series. BTW, deal still not official.”

70. D Man says:

In my opinion the worst Hab trade ever? Eric Desjardins and John LeClair for Dr. Mark Wrecky.

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Ribeiro for Niinimaa…

• D Man what is the story behind your signature?

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Cal says:

That one is on a par with the Roy deal.
      “How to kill your team for decades with 2 trades” or “My life as Habs GM” by Reggie Houle.

• Luke says:

Recchi? I always thought of that as the Hohenberger trade…

• Haberoooo13 says:

Chelios and a 2nd??? for Savard

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

• Habsbill24 says:

Chelios for Savard worst trade by Habs.

• frozengolf says:

Here is one trade I hated from the 80′s: Rod Langway and Brian Englom and a pick (!) for Ryan Walter and Rick Green. Nothing aganst Walter and Green, but Langway went on to win 2 noriis trophies for the Caps.

_________________________________________________________
      “We know that hockey is where we live, where we can best meet and overcome pain and wrong and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games.”

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Ah but with Rompin Rick Green, we won the cup in 86 … he was a big reason.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• frozengolf says:

He was a good d-man, but he was nothing compared to Langway. Langway should have been the next Robinson for the Habs.

_________________________________________________________

• drivefor25 says:

Doug Jarvis also went to Washington in that deal. Very bad trade!

Fan since ’71

• kalevine says:

That trade hurt Habs a great deal in the short term, but they had had 3 years of severe playoff underachievement with Langway, Engblom and Jarvis. After one more quick exit, they suddenly became a playoff ready squad with Green and Walter. Jarvis and Engblom were never the same after being traded. Laughlin was a fringe player. Only Langway excelled. Long term , was a good deal for Habs

71. 44har48 says:

You know, like most of us on here, I could be critical of just about everything, even those who are overachieving. We still have not won a cup since June 9, 1993 and have a lot more work to do.

But today, I am just going to enjoy being a lifelong Habs fan. It’s great to be a Habs fan right now isn’t it?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Always great to be a Habs fan…even in the bad times…

• 30 teams building to win a cup.

Does that mean because every team is building to win, that by law of average we should win once every thirty years?

That’s the way I see it, that’s why I am so thankful we Habs fans have sen them win more than once.

Then look at the other teams who have never won since the cups we seen and be thankful. That’s just me though. I know there are fans (not you) that think we deserve o win because we are Canadiens, but that just isn’t the case.

People use Detroit as a model of success. They could go on to lose for the next 30 years.

Leafs? Love it.

Devils? Bah, only their 12,000 fans love how they won their cups.

Dick Irvin Jr said last year that Montreal fans are now becoming content on just making the playoffs. Well I am content with that, because if you don’t make the playoffs, you’ll never have a chance at Stanley.

Shane Oliver