TSN’s take

• Scott Cullen’s comprehensive off-season assessment of the Canadiens

• Mathias Brunet weighs in on who stays, who goes

And this harsh comment, on the Hockey News web site, about the departure of BGL:

I think its funny you take the toughest guy in the league and put him in
a Canadiens Jersey and he turns into a sissy just like the rest of the
team! Looks like Andrei Kostitsyn will be the keeping the rivals in line
next season!

Maybe this is the video Bob Gainey watched:

bzBSICvS0Dk

1. Kooch7800 says:

100% agree.  I think he will test free agency though and really I don;t blame him.

2. Rugger says:

I think what he is saying is IF someone gives him a 4.5M offer sheet, it will be automatically big picks coming back.

3. TomNickle says:

You just said that he was full of himself and that his decisions resembled an insecure man.

4. TomNickle says:

Why trade him within the conference if you can do just as well going out of conference is my point.

If there’s a guy at #6 that you believe is a franchise player, by all means do it.  But you have to understand that you’re strengthening a team that’s in the way of you getting to the Cup Finals.

Fan bases don’t generally react positively to a former player burning them repeatedly either.

This notion isn’t quite as crazy as trading one to the Flyers though.  If we trade a goalie to the Flyers we immediately make them the team to beat in the East if not the entire league.

5. Le Jadester says:

Hey Tom, I appreciate your insight and I know you know more about Hockey than me.  I am not trying to change your perspective on JM.

He does have very nice numbers indeed.  I still don’t like him as coach for Montreal (IMO) and he will never win a cup as a coach (IMO).  As a GM mabey, and I would probably prefer if he was our GM instead of our Coach.  The guy is to full of himself.  His decision making throughout this year stunk of his own insecurity (again IMO).

Habs, OLE !

6. TomNickle says:

I’m not sure I follow what you’re getting at here.

Halak certainly is in a position of strength.  The amount of money that he’s awarded in arbitration will have nothing to do with what team has his negotiating rights if it gets that far.

Halak having all of the leverage makes this the most difficult decision Pierre Gauthier will ever face in his career as a hockey executive.

He has to weigh the pros of having Halak in our net against the cons of having to overpay for him and missing out on an opportunity to get maximum return for his services.  All of that while trying to figure out if Price can return to form(which makes it a bit easier if he believes he can).

I don’t see how you think that Halak’s return would be young and affordable talent.  If a team is going to take on $4.5 million in salary, they usually need to send some back.  And I’m speculating on this point but I highly doubt that Gauthier will pursue draft picks when dealing with Halak or Price.

7. crabvader says:

Closest opponents? We play Tampa like 3 times a year.

My point is that not all Western teams will give you that same trade.

IF it is there, I say take it.

8. TomNickle says:

My point here is that I would rather give Price or Halak to a Western Conference team for the 10th pick than to Tampa for the 6th.  But that’s just me.

Good hockey executives aren’t in the habit of giving their best players to their closest opponents.  When you consider the young talent that Tampa has, giving them one of our goalies could be the catalyst for a future dynasty.  Why take yourself out of the running for the East for 10 years?

If you move one of your best players to a team in the West you don’t have to worry about them until the Finals.

I’m not trying to be condescending here but surely you can see what the Leafs have done for the Bruins.

Rask, and now Hall or Seguin, accompanied by what could be another huge roster player in a very deep draft.

And then the subsequent 1st rounder next season which, as it stands, could very well be another lottery pick.

9. Chorske says:

I think those assessments are valid- every team has to deal with injuries to key personnel, and in our case this exposed a disconcerting lack of depth.

Part of the problem was definitely psychological. Said it before: perhaps the best development of the post season was the dawning realization among the players that they can win without Markov.

10. Just A Guy says:

I think you have to think about who is negotiating from a position of strength, and while Halak has done nothing but improve and show signs that he will continue to do so, he is an RFA and any team that wants Halak will either have to trade for him or submit an offer sheet, which at 4.5 mil or up is giving up a decent amount of draft picks or in terms of trades, young affordable talent.

11. crabvader says:

If it makes your team better, why not?

You want to just stay stagnant and fighting for 8th place all the time?

If there are no teams out West biting with a good enough pick and there is a window of opportunity in Tampa or something, why not take it?

12. Just A Guy says:

What is the compensation to the team with an RFA that accepts a 1 million per year offer sheet? I’m not entirely sure, but I think its something like a 3rd round pick, so I doubt there are any teams that wouldnt give that pick up for a potential star.

13. jrshabs1 says:

Tough words(pun) from the hockey news. It’s sad but true!!! Hopefully that area is one that can fixed. The players need to step up for their team and themselves. I’m sure John Ferguson is rolling in his grave right now.

14. TomNickle says:

Trading away one of our goalies within the conference should be the first thing on Pierre Gauthier’s things to NOT do list.

I personally do not want either of our current goalies biting us in the behind for the next 10 years.

That’s just me though.

15. Max_a_million says:

Unfortunately if they pay him more than 5 million a year long term, I think we will be regret it for years to come.

Unfortunately he is also the best center available to sign, and we will probably be dammned if we do and damned if we don’t in this scenario.

16. ed lopaz says:

agreed- he spends a lot of time here – it would be attractive for him to live here.

17. TomNickle says:

If you think we’re getting a discount on Halak you’re dreaming.  No offense to you, but Allan Walsh will be looking to cash in on Jaro’s success this season and $5 million will be the starting point in negotiations.  At least it would be if I were Walsh, and considering an arbitrator isn’t going to go anywhere south of $4.5 million annually, I think it’s safe to say we’ll be taking one of our two current goalies into next season.

Joe Nieuwendyk should be put in a 20 x 20 room with every GM around the league and the lights turned off.

Something tells me he wouldn’t be signing goalies of Lehtonen’s caliber to the kind of deal he did after that.

18. crabvader says:

I’d just trade one of them’s rights and whatever is necessary to Tampa or something and get their 6th pick…

Tampa owes us anyway for Boucher :P

19. ed lopaz says:

first time I’m hearing about that. must admit.

20. Just A Guy says:

Too true, I had forgotten about that. Yeah you are right, I clearly remember reading that the other day. Thanks for the reminder, but still You would hope a hometown discount could be a selling point for Halak since Hammer’s contract expiring next year will give them more options and probably allow the habs to give him a hefty raise (if he goes for a one year deal that is). I’m not sure how far honor-bound agreements can be thrown in today’s league.

21. crabvader says:

No, because that’s implying he’s afraid to fight… which you would know is crap if you’ve seen who he’s taken on.

He just has a twisted notion of how a fight should happen and with who it should happen. In fact, you should say he’s the opposite of a wussy if all he wants to fight are people in his weight class.

I’m not any happier than anyone else with his lacklustre performances with us… but to call this guy a wuss behind a computer seems very hypocritical in my opinion.

22. ed lopaz says:

ya, 50 seems like a big number.

there’s a lot of support for max here.

he is an interesting player.

teams like detroit, for example, have been able to DEVELOP their players AT THE PRO LEVEL.

that’s where coaching comes in big time, of course.

you take a guy like max, who I watched in hamilton.

he has great speed, good size, and interesting grit and tenacity.

hey – isn’t that exactly what we’re looking for???

then why not develop the parts of his game that might be weaker.

he might not be a 70 point 2nd line center, but he can definitely score 20 goals, and mabe put up 60-65 points.

IMHO

23. Robert L says:

You’re right. For all players, bonuses are only applicable to entry level deals or one year contracts for players over 35 with time on the DL the previous season.

24. G-Man says:

$850K + 10% for Price. Why pay more?

25. crabvader says:

I didn’t question his work ethic. Although some games he doesn’t show up…

Good for him if he’s improving, I’m just saying puck control is something he really needs to work on.

26. G-Man says:

Is wussy better? GL is a wussy!

27. TomNickle says:

Okay.  But yourself in Lombardi’s shoes for a minute.

He’s not going to make more than $4 million annually(I’m estimating of course but even that number is high for him).

He’s got a chance to play with Cammalleri or Gionta as opposed to just Kessel(who I might add doesn’t have the speed to keep up with him) while our wingers do.

And of course their is the x-factor of being able to come home.

28. habsfan reduxit says:

… my assessment, since you asked?: I think its funny you take one of the pre-eminent sources of hockey news , and turn it into a shill for Gary Bettman and the new NHL, the one which claims the game needs fighters.

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

29. ed lopaz says:

I have actually seen max working very hard on that in practice at Brossard practice facility.

30. ed lopaz says:

we know lombardi well around here. he comes out of the midget AAA program that just produced louis leblanc. my son is in their camp this august.

lombardi has a hockey camp in the area.

I like him.

His speed is world class – absolutley lightning.

I think he might hit a little jackpot as well this summer.

for example, don’t the leafs need a center????

Burke will be all over Marleau, Plekanec, and then Lombardi.

he needs a 1st line center to play with Kessel, does he not?

like i said, it is going to be very expensive to buy a center this year.

31. Bugs says:

I don’t know about these “season assessments” anymore. Had to deal with this all year and now they’re gonna be looked at as “faits accomplis”.

But honestly, if an assessment doesn’t start off with “Despite the fact that Markov missed 40 games, Gionta missed 20 and Cammy missed 25…” but is rife with “not strong on the puck in the defensive zone” and “lack of scoring”, how can I take it seriously?

Really, I mean, c’mon…

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga:http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

32. crabvader says:

Laps’ biggest problem is puck control.

You can’t have a guy like that running your second offensive unit.

33. crabvader says:

I love that this Hockey News douche bag has the gall to call BGL a sissy.

By all means, Georges did not fulfill his role but by no means is he a sissy. Does this clown even know what he’s talking about? Would he be willing to meet BGL and brawl? Didn’t think so.

Then he wants to sit there and call the rest of our team a bunch of sissies. That’s rich, considering we finished in the top 4 of the entire f’n league.

Doesn’t matter though, right? Any sissy can make it to the top 4.

You know, BGL did get way too full of himself and thought he was much more than what he was, but by no means is this guy a sissy.

Ugh, what I would give to see this Hockey News moron get his teeth knocked clean through his skull by Georges.

34. mbplekfan says:

The free agent market is thin this year. That should open up trade possibilities on draft day. We have assets to move but we need takers.

I think Price is the #1 asset. Young and cheap with tremendous upside. Does Philly want to improve at goal at the expense of Jeff Carter? Let us hope so. Carter fills the need for a sizable, tough forward who can score.

Hamrlik is a solid veteran blue-liner. He is overpaid but could help a young team like L.A or Phoenix. Definitely worth a big prospect if those teams want the steady hand of a veteran.

AK is likely staying put. We havent seen the best of this guy yet. SK will likely bolt. We should extend a qualifying offer to retain his rights if he goes to the KHL.

Darche and Metro should be ignored. Lapierre should be signed only if nothing better is available free agent wise.

Moore doesnt give us what we need and should only be signed if we miss out on all other centers. He will be cheap and probably be available well into July.

Mara should be signed cheap. Last year was an aberration and I would expect much better from him now that he is healthy.

Lets hope PG drafts size and toughness. We lack any sort of tough to play against prospects. Most of ours are gentlemen and lady byng candidates.

35. Kooch7800 says:

I think you are missing the point. Plekanecs has had two good seasons of 4.  He has also been basically non existent in the playoffs (not just this year, think of the last two).  If Montreal signs a player like Pleks for 5 million or higher they are just as gollable as our gm friend with the Rangers. Pleks is a good player but is not worth more than 4.5 mill.

Pleks did dissapear in the playoffs.  Take away his empty netters and he really did not do much. You can talk about his defensive aspects which he is good at but defensive players do not get huge bucks.  If that is your logic than I guess Pyatt and moore are up for big raises.

Due to a crap free agency Plecks will be a highly doubted prospect and will get the cash (more than he is worth).

In my opinion with the current contracts we have we need to get rid of pleks as we are stuck with Gomez.

I would dissagree that most of our players decreased in the playoffs,  Gio, Cammy, Lappierre, Gill, Halak, Moore, Moen, Jorges, Pyatt all played better under pressure.

We need to add more scoring and a little size up front.  We also need to add some grit on D.  Other than Obyrne we don’t have anyone threatening.

36. Chuck says:

Carey made $850,000 salary last season. With bonuses, (and I doubt that he made all of them) he had the potential to make $2.2 million.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

37. SeriousFan09 says:

It was a comment by a reader, not one of their writers. Although, I felt they lost all credibility when one writer got an article published saying the 2007 Ducks were the best Cup team ever.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

38. pmaraw says:

guess i’ll never buy the hockey news again.

39. TomNickle says:

I don’t think that the Goalies can be given bonuses on their new contracts since they won’t be entry level deals and neither is over the age of 35.  I might be wrong though.

40. Chuck says:

One problem: JM didn’t give Price three games at the beginning of last season to get into a groove, so what makes you think that he’d give Lapierre 50 games to learn to be the 2nd line centre?

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

41. Just A Guy says:

I don’t think the AK46 experiment is over, but given his impending RFA status next (next?) season, he would have to put out some pretty consitent numbers and not just goals and assists. I want to see this guy finish his checks on a…. Kostitsent…basis. God I love that pun. Back checking on a regular outing would help too, especially since the Habs offense seems to start at their half boards (just because it ends at either blue line doesn’t matter in this respect… zing!)

He is one of those guys that needs to figure out that a good diet and steady excersize will do wonders for energy levels and perhaps a positive attitude. If his heart is simply not in the right place he really needs to let managment know since he can probably make the same amount of cash in the KHL and be with people who speak his language. Another topic altogether, but this guy needs to learn gooder english. If what we understand is true, that Sergei is that much of a distracting/motivating factor to his brother, they need to have their seperation severed at the hip. It would be unfortunate since Sergei has shown immense potential, its useless to have them in the same city where they detract from each other’s immersion into a foreign language. I mean chimpanzee’s can learn about .1 words per day, which is roughly the amount AK seems to be picking up. While his “I like play hockey, I score goal” is cute for the first two or three interviews, it must be maddening to, say, Plekanec who (is no novelist by any stretch) has been his center for the past three years. I don’t want to come across as a xenophobe, but at the same time you can’t help but wonder what the hell the problem is with this guy.

Pouliot doesn’t have the language excuse, but roughly falls into the same greivance category. He was playing with an edge for the first little bit while he was here. I remember panicking a little bit when I saw him fight (looks like he did ok). I clearly remember the “nooo! you just came back from a wrist injury!”. Word that he was playing through an injury the last part of the season maybe helps his case to give him a resigning, but fast metabolism or not, this guy needs to put on some muscle on his shoulders and legs.

If the habs can go into next season with these two on the right foot, though I wouldnt wager on the Kostitsyn gamble, then they don’t need a big center. The only thing the Habs were lacking last year was someone willing to go into the corners with realistic expectations of either coming up with, or at least holding up, the puck.

Now if PG can resign Pleks, Price and Halak for a collective cap hit of around 8-9 million, that is 4-3 and a half million to play with to fill out 5 roster spots if Laps and Moore sign for around 1 mil each thats 2-1 and a half million for 3 roster spots. Very do-able IMO

Pleks 4.5 mil

Halak 2 mil with realistic bonuses

Price 1.5 mil without any bull**** bonuses that saw him not earning 3.5(?) mil last year.

42. G-Man says:

Like the Scottish newspaper hawker kept shouting while displaying the headlines of the day: “Terrible, horrible.”

43. SeriousFan09 says:

No, the Canadiens drafted heavily at centre in the 2009 draft to cover the future of that position, the team could use some depth at wing and big defencemen. Petrovic, Mcllrath should be the targeted choices. He’s not big enough either to benefit from having a big centre in the system by taking him.

Although I suspect the highly-touted KHL player Vladimir Tarasenko is going to go in the 2nd or 3rd round because he’s still over there, I’ve seen some mock drafts with him in but with the Radulov, Zherdev and Filatov drama, I doubt another KHL player will be 1st-round material unless he is a franchise player like Ovie and Malkin.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

44. TomNickle says:

I don’t think it’s as tough as it seems.  Keep in mind that winning faceoffs this season was a HUGE problem and that Cammalleri was very good in the faceoff circle.  It wouldn’t surprise me at all if they made that move.

You’ve got Lombardi as a dark horse in all of this.  He has to be on the Habs radar considering he played in a very tight defensive system this season, is incredibly fast and quick and is tough as nails in dirty areas.

You’ve got Marleau and I know he’s on your wish list but I just don’t see it happening for the money he’s going to command.  He’s going to get more than Pleks and his game is terribly inconsistent when he isn’t in a contract year.

Matt Cullen could be a guy they look at but again, very inconsistent and not very creative offensively.

I really think that Lombardi has a shot here.  And regardless of popular opinion, he HAS improved his game every season since being in the NHL.  His point totals may not have increase every season, but his game has gotten better each step of the way.  I can see him in that spot very easily, and it has very little to do with him being from Montreal.  He went a point/game in the playoffs matched up against Datsyuk and Lidstrom on the road.  His playoff success was overshadowed by the team success they enjoyed.

Everybody needs to stop using Detroit as an example. They picked almost exclusively from Sweden. They obviously had decent scouting there. They build according to a concept. The Habs on the other hand pick players from Europe like they’re ordering chinese food: 2 from A, 1 from B, 3 from C and two extra egg rolls and wonton soup.

That was my lament last year before I had my tanking epiphany. Why did the Habs not scour Finland to build around Koivu?

Even Carbo says stay away from Europe unless you pick all the players from the same country.

So in that sense I do support picking exclusively from the Czech Republic and Slovakia, ONLY. Trying to put together a multinational hockey team has as much chance as flying as does an Iron Butterfly.

46. Robert L says:

For the Habs and GM Gauthier, the Summer of Speculation is Well Underway

3 goose eggs will do that.

48. ed lopaz says:

I figured that’s where you were heading.

but its going to be very tough to fill the #2 center spot

cammy had such a great run on the wing, they won’t move him.

I’m concerned we might make a huge mistake in trying too hard to fill that spot.

49. Dethroner says:

so the sedins arent franchise players? phaneuf hasnt been made one now? toews? brodeur? i know lecavalier hasnt been as visible, but can you say he’s not a franchise player? what about crosby?

and yeah, neiddereiter is that good. i bet he has more goals his rookie year than hall or seguin. mark my words.

50. TomNickle says:

I don’t feel it’s a good time because of the small gap between our team and the top of the East.

We’re realistically one or two physical forwards away from being at the top of the Eastern Conference.

I know there are a lot of doomsday naysayers here that will say that it’s all smoke in mirrors but the fact remains that we have a large group of players who all season long played their best hockey when it counted.

Adding those pieces may not be easy but if they are able to do it, Max shouldn’t get a shot in the top 6 barring injury of course.

I still think we’ve yet to see the best from him and I think he has very big offensive potential.  But when you’re this close to winning, you can’t go with a project when every game counts.

51. saskhabfan says:

Kind of like putting the word “brilliant”,”knowledgable”. or “hockey smarts” in the same sentence as manapart. Now that would be funny.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

52. ed lopaz says:

why isn’t it a good time?

53. SeriousFan09 says:

Too be fair, I said I’d leave Crosby alone for a good long time after the ‘Golden Goal’ but our playoff series against them drove me over the edge. I’m guessing dropping 4 out of 5 games, 3 of them badly put him over his limit.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

54. smiler2729 says:

Yeah, no kidding. He oughta be ashamed!

55. camel_larry says:

Points becomes pints. 35 pints.

56. camel_larry says:

HEY HEY HEY!

You said if the boys made the ECF you’d stop promoting tanking!

57. TomNickle says:

I agree that he has that potential and he definitely embraces responsibility.

I just don’t think that now is the time to start relying on potential.

I can see it as a project if somebody gets hurt and you can always move Cammalleri there if it doesn’t work.

58. ed lopaz says:

a few days ago I read a post where someone suggested we give Max Lapierre a shot as the second line center.

this idea has been kind of lingering in me since then. and now I’m ready to say that I kind of like it.

max has good size, 6’2 around 200, he skates very well, and he has shown flashes of great hands and decent finish.

he was being groomed to be a 3rd line center, I know, but he’s really not that responsible in his own zone to satisfy a defensive “junky” like like J. martin.

that’s why we went out and acquired moore, who’s acquisition I opposed, but who proved me totally wrong (again!!)

max is a project, I know. he’s no plekanec, I know.

but if we gave him 50 games, and we bring in some decent support to play with him and cammy, someone who plays smart hockey and has top 6 forward skill, the move would be a huge cap “opener” for the habs (meaning we open cap space to pay for ther positions)

lets see where we are at the 50 game mark and then re-assess.

finally, by giving max more ice time, it makes our team more “agressive” and more on the “edge”.

many of you guys probably hate max, or feel like he has no potential to be a second line center, and I don’t blame you for your opinions.

I just think its an interesting idea, and I really like the way max started to play last year in the playoffs.

I think he might be ready for the “promotion”.

59. TomNickle says:

Jacques Martin’s record since the 97-98 season.

449-308

WHAT A LOSER.

60. Dethroner says:

i dont think anybody said that laraque was AFRAID to fight…more like he became a pansy earth child vegitarian who thought that fighting is wrong unless it’s conscentual. like sex without the agreement is rape. anyway, he can still fight, sure, but he doesnt want to. that makes him a sissy. i mean, in the hockey world at least.

61. Chorske says:

Haha, but what else is there to talk about?

The Habs as a whole were a non-factor against the Flyers. Take away Halak and the Habs are a non-factor in the regular season.

63. Dethroner says:

subban isnt going anywhere. he grew up his whole life as a habs fan. it was his biggest dream to get drafted by his favorite team. he’ll be in the running for rookie of the year next year, and did you watch any of his interviews over the playoffs? did you see his maturity level? he’ll be the captain of this team in 5 years.

64. Just A Guy says:

We prefer the term “puck management”. For example all the things we managed to accomplish this year without it. Hmm hat may sound more harsh then clever. Oh well.

65. coachdoug says:

Lol…Great observation at the opening of your post!

Sums up last year…The Ying and the Yang…Bi-Polar team most of the year…Love em or leave em…

66. likehoy says:

i appreciate everyone’s clairvoyance suggestions to our summer but i don’t know how people can want to blow up this team after it made the ECFand how can anyone want to keep this team given our mediocre 8th place finish in the regular season

i fully agree with pierre gauthier saying that you can’t blow up the team every year and make major changes. so this means PG is going to work with what he’s got for the most part with a few changes, of which, i cannot precdict

unfortunately none of us are PG so none of us have access to the other 29 GMs in the league or the 700 players affiliated with the NHL to know where the marbles fall. unless we read eklund. eklund tells all.

67. Robert L says:

That’s a hard bargain after a 39 pt year, but yeah, if you’re the agent, that is how you begin the process. It might not be where it ends up.

That only drives home point that the Habs do not play a puck possession game but a puck relinquishing game.

69. Dethroner says:

I cant find the article, but kabanov is recently quoted as saying he wasnt going back to russia, period. he said “nhl, ahl, whl, it doesnt matter where i play, i am not going back to russia.” or, well, not word for word, but the quote went exactly along hose lines. after he went to russia to play for the u-18s, the russian coach called him american bubble gum and that was published in the press. he was really embarassed, made to look like a wussy too-good-for-mother-russia type person. he said leaving for russia for the tourney was the “worst mistake of (his) whole life”.

70. Robert L says:

I think Gainey knew full well how distracted Plekanec became by those rumours and the one amount paid (2.75) was a show of faith in him. It is likely Pleks that chose the one year term though, seeing as he’s a UFA presently. When TP had his down year, no one ever attributes it to Kovalev going AWOL. He still managed to score 20.

71. Dethroner says:

what about this as a scenario?

resign moore

resign lapierre

resign pyatt(2-way)

resign pouliot

resign darche(2-way)

resign desharnais(2-way)

resign trotter(2-way)

sign lombardi

sign ellis

trade halaks rights and the kostits for penner and a 2nd round pick.

gomez(7.4) gionta(5) cammalerri(6)

lombardi(2.5) penner(4.25) pouliot(1)

moore(1.5) pacioretty(800k) pyatt(800k)

lapierre(1) moen(1.5) white(600k)

engqvist/darche/desharnais

markov(5.75) subban(875k)

gorges(1.3) spacek(3.8)

gill(2.25) hammerlk(5.5)

obyrne(800k)

ellis(1.5)

price(1.5)

55.7….this leaves some space if some of the above signings need a bit more cash and to leave over around 2 mil for signings in case of injury or for a trade deadline pickup.

then, if we’re not gonna make the playoffs, and unable to sign markov to an extension for the same amount or a bit less, then trade him for a 1st round pick and a prospect to a serious contender. markov has value now, but just as much at the deadline, and we need him this year to mentor subban. at least for this full year. look at what he did for gorges development.

10-4 on that one.

73. Chorske says:

OMG, I am trying to find something I don’t disagree with.

Plus, there’s this logical conundrum: if the Habs are so bad at drafting, how is tanking going to improve our lot?

74. avatar_58 says:

Yeah but I *still* think he played through injury. Of all our drafted players Plek is most likely to continue to do better. In my opinion anyway.

TSN’s take

"If the Montreal Canadiens’ desire for an impact forward was a simmering pot, it could become a full boil if the team is to maintain its hold on home ice advantage for the start of the playoffs."

TSN looks at who’s buying, selling as trade deadline approaches

•  •  •

Healthy scratch last night against Buffalo: Mikhail Grabovski.

How do you say "He’s hit the wall" in Belarusian?

•  •  •

Tough one tomorrow.

ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, who knows his stuff, looks at the resurgent Sabres.