TSN’s GM poll: Habs vs. Red Wings in Cup final

The Canadiens are headed to the Stanley Cup final against the Detroit Red Wings.

At least, in the eyes of NHL general managers who have been polled by TSN.

Read on below:

The release from TSN:

1. Skotbot says:

Sigur Ros?

haha probably one of the hardest bands to sing along to.. unless you know their language i guess..

I missed the show myself, I bet it was great though. The atmosphere they create with their music is just mind blowing.

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable?
    Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

2. Skotbot says:

Dana..

I think we have different opinions on what “classic” means..

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable?
    Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

3. cautiousoptimist says:

They played the Old Port a couple of weeks ago and put on a great, great show. You wouldn’t think they’d be very interesting live, but I was impressed. The only problem was that they’re not easy to sing along to. : )

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
    2. Josh Gorges on Montreal’s attack: “They’re comin’, they’re comin’ and they keep comin’. Just line after line, wave after wave…”

4. Woah_Dana says:

Lol a mixed tape.. don’t forget the classics like “Pump up the jam” & “Everybody dance now” !!

5. Skotbot says:

hahaah I think it is endoresed by Grapes!!

I wonder if between tracks he gives lame commentary like on his Rock Em Sock Em videos..

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable?
    Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

6. Skotbot says:

I wasnt going to mention it, I thought Bowie would be more of a crowd pleaser than Sigur Ros and thier made up language/ icelandic verses.

they are sublime.

I digress :P

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable?
    Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

7. Skotbot says:

Grunge cadet huh??

never heard that one LOL

“I digress…” —- I agree, I always end up talking about music on HIO…

Sorry Habs fans.
    maybe Ill make the team a mixtape for the away games LOL

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable?
    Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

8. Woah_Dana says:

Not to mention they play Sigur Ros – Staraflur at the end.

9. cautiousoptimist says:

He’ll watch the games but he doesn’t care too much one way or the other, except to curse at the odd turnover. I think the only reason I got away with it was because they thought an ecstatic 11-year-old was too cute to yell at and send back to bed. : )

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat

10. Woah_Dana says:

See, I’m a huge fan of nostalgia. Nothing puts a smile on my face more than 80s music! Oh, to be a kid again!

I listen to a lot of stuff that’s never been heard of as well, some of the best stuff I’ve ever heard, but I just love so much music in general I can’t dub myself an indie rock chick or a grunge cadet or a pop listener at all.. I like too much of it all.

I digress…

11. cautiousoptimist says:

I’m not proud of it, but somewhere around the apartment I think I actually have a 15-year-old cassette tape called “Jock Rock,” and I believe it was endorsed by Don Cherry himself…

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat

12. Skotbot says:

Wow u are sooo right.

good call. i love that movie!
    the David Bowie songs in portuguese? WOW!

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable?
    Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

13. Skotbot says:

I can deny that they are any good tho! hahaha:p
    You are probably around my age, and the nostalgia is a large problem with our demographic.. we got to get over it!

Anyways Im not gonna get into what i listen to etc.. because I have before on HIO, and ppl just tend to write stuff like my music is obscure, never heard of it, etc..

P.S. Dont think I do not enjoy Coldplays vibe, I just like the bands who have either done it before them, or do it better than them.

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable?
    Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

14. Woah_Dana says:

That’s cute. Is your dad a hockey fan?
    I’m sure the only reason I got away with it was because my dad is a huge Habs fan.

15. Woah_Dana says:

Eh, you forgot A Life Aquatic :)

16. Woah_Dana says:

Haha.. well, Coldplay has some really gorgeous songs for those who can appreciate that sort of thing. But hey, to each their own. Not sure what you listen to, but I’m sure if I knew I’d understand your statement.

I am guilty as all hell for loving every shitty dance tune that they’ve played at the hockey arena – & it’s all because of the nostalgia that is attached!

I dare everyone to go on youtube & look up/listen to ye old Jock Jams! Can’t deny the nostalgia :)

17. Woah_Dana says:

Glad you enjoyed, & glad you are one who does remember what it is all about!

18. Skotbot says:

Bill has gotten better with age

Have u seen Lost in translation?
    or his part in Coffee & Cigarettes? I also enjoyed Broken Flowers..
    He is an indie film genious.. when he doesnt get tempted into making big budget blockbusters for the Coldplay fans :P

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable?
    Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

19. cautiousoptimist says:

I’ll never forget that night either — I was just 11 and my folks wouldn’t let me stay up, so I smuggled a walkman under the sheets and pretended to be asleep while I listened. They found me out though, when we won and I yelled something like “yeah!” from under the blankets, and then they let me go and watch the celebrations because they knew it was the only way I was going to get any sleep. Good, good times…

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat

20. cautiousoptimist says:

Coldplay has some truly gorgeous tunes. I think Bill Murray’s getting crotchety in his old age — maybe he’s just miserable *and* listens to pop?

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat

21. cautiousoptimist says:

Thanks for the goosebumps, Dana — and for the beautiful reminder of what this lovely game is all about…

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat

22. Skotbot says:

Speaking of posing as others..

Just to clear things up,

I AM NOT Bill Murray

:P

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable?
    Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

23. Skotbot says:

-10 points for the Cold play reference though…

I will say it again and again,
    whats up with Sports fans and horrible music?
    (however coldplay is still a lot better than most stuff playing at the Bell Centre and on players Ipod lists…..)

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable?
    Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

24. Woah_Dana says:

I can’t imagine people posing as girls on here.. I was afraid to admit to being one in fear of not being taken seriously!
    “AH, she’s just a chick. She only likes hockey ’cause she thinks the guys are hot!”

Not me! (The attractive Habs are simply a bonus!)

I’ve actually been a fanatic since before I could ride a bike – so I’m not “one of those” :)

25. Mr.Hazard says:

Wow!

Ex nihilo nihil fit

26. Woah_Dana says:

My pleasure! That song is so fitting for the Habs. I would love to make a video myself based on last season & this season coming.. maybe if I can get the tools to do it I will put something together. I just need to find a way to steal video footage & use it.
    “Lights will guide you home, and I will try to fix you..” I feel like that is the unspoken thought of every one of our Habs. Think about it!

27. Woah_Dana says:

Hells yeah!

28. Woah_Dana says:

Thank you! I totally agree about how invigorating it can be to speak with *true* fans. There are fans, & there are *true* fans, & the conversations you can hold with each are incomparable. It always dissapoints me when I run into a Habs fan, maybe a friend of a friend, & I try to strike up a good conversation about the season, etc., & they look at me with a blank stare as if I’m crazy to pay as much attention as I do.

There is a glow that a true HAB fan has, maybe my luck is thin because I live on Leafs territory (which sounds horrible but it’s made loving hockey an interesting ride for me & has also made me that much more of a Habs fan in the end)
    I pretty much get boo’d every winter by passing cars (I have my flag up on my car as soon as the season starts) but really, who boo’s? Same fans every time: Leafs, Flyers, Bruins. That’s like being called ugly by a fat kid with dirty hair & crooked teeth.

Cheers!

GO HABS!

Dana! that was awesome, thanks

30. Woah_Dana says:

That’s actually a really good point – about 10-11 year olds watching Habs games this season. Sadly I live on Leafs territory, have all my life, so I rarely see any age group watching the Habs!

31. Woah_Dana says:

It does feel like yesterday! Glad you enjoyed the video. I love youtube.com. I can spend hours on there watching random Habs videos, you can pretty much find anything!

32. Corporate says:

I am happy to see that our HABS have finally seen their last dark days. Everything seems nice and bright for a few years to come. We have lots of talent in the bank and although we might be saddened by the loss of some players, we can easily replace anyone on our team.

As for the pressure for this years habs… I just hope we have a better year than the preseason regarding injuries. Players have been falling like flies. Did they over train during the offseason?? If they did, then they will tired on the long run… Hope to chat with you all during the season.. The Drive for 25 is Alive…. Ciao

——————————————————————-
    Koivu for Prime Minister…

33. RetroMikey says:

Wow, everybody’s jumping the bandwagon and predicting our Habs in the final!
    Very high expectations for our team.
    Our players will have the added pressure now that everyone expects them to be in the final and win the Cup during our 100th anniversary.
    I don’t like these so-called predictionscoming from everyone from TSN, RDS, ESPN, etc…..predictions are for Gypsies!
    This adds more pressure to the players with our fans expecting too much from them. Heck, the fans were booing the players last Saturday night against Minnesota and this was a mere exibition game.
    You’ll see alot of teams gunning after us but will we be ready to play hard game in and out?
    I feel we have a good solid team but teams like Boston, Washington, and yes even Buffalo to compete for us if we are to make the final.
    Detroit is a very powerful team and watch out for Dallas and San Jose in the West.
    Should be an interesting season.
    I predict we’ll sip the champagne from the Cup next year. Plaayers like Higgins and Lats will have to step it up if we are to make the Cup final and I am hoping Price shines this year in his sophomore season.
    But I could be wrong but so could the media and the fans with this years predicition of us in the final.

Will we be healthy all season to contend for top spot in the Eastern Conference?
    But the Drive for 25 is alive!

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

34. howtathor says:

Great video! You know those times when you can remember exactly where you were? Feels like yesterday. Whew, all those overtime wins!

35. G-Man says:

Other GMs are finally realizing what it takes. You absolutely have to draft well and keep those choices while not panicking. UFAs do not build your team. They may be the missing part of the puzzle, but the cornerstones for a great team are the draftees. BG is once again showing the league how it’s done.

Gilbert
    2008/09 is the season of the Habs

36. patrone says:

Dana you’re awesome!

It is so invigorating conversing with someone who is a true HAB fan and understands the passion of the red, white and blue.

I agree that Koivu deserves to hoist that cup for all of his efforts, loyalty to the organization and all of his own personal obstacles that he has had to overcome over the years. Isn’t that the true measure of a captain?

Cheers Dana and Go Habs Go!!!!!!!!!!

37. 68north says:

Whoever comes out of the west will be so badly beaten and bruised that our habs if healthy and if they do come out of the east stand a good chance of making it 25…

38. Habs fan in SF says:

wow, 10? i was 19. weird cuz i remember i was 11 when the habs won in ’86 so it was sort of the same experience for me. the thing is do we know anyone who’s 10 or 11 watching the habs this season? that’s the lucky charm there …

39. Gormdog says:

I want a Victor Hedman for Christmas.

40. HABZ24 says:

those people know there stuff. habs to beat wings in 7.price to win mvp.

41. Mr.Hazard says:

So you’re a real girl? :P

Ex nihilo nihil fit

42. J Haul says:

I think you might be getting two seperate places confused. I know of a “Thirsty Canadian Pub”, a “Montreal House” and even a “White House” (not recommended) in PTBO. Not sure if there is a “Canada House”. There is also a Champs there (chain of sports bars), but it’s usually crowded for such a small place.

Oh! And Riley’s has a few tv’s, but there is usually live music there (one guy on guitar). I’m not sure how important sound is to ya.

43. thepatriot says:

canada lodge or canada house i think is a decent one ask a cabbie and they will tell you…

44. Woah_Dana says:

The first time I stumbled upon that video I’d had a few glasses of wine – bad timing – oh, the waterworks! I can’t hear that song without getting a little choked up (yeah I know, I’m such a chick.)

I was just a kid then, 10 years old. I can remember my dad letting me stay up on a school night to watch the whole thing. My mom struggled when it was time to tuck me in, I kept kicking my bedsheets off in a hyper fit of joy.

I can’t wait to experience that feeling again! It will just mean so much more this time..

45. Habs fan in SF says:

oh man … chills down my spine! yeah, it did feel like it was yesterday … i’m getting old! i never get sick of seeing those eric desjardins goals

46. Woah_Dana says:

That was great, thanks for posting.
    You may have already seen it, but this one is my favourite of all time:

I remember that like it was yesterday.

47. Woah_Dana says:

Hi Ian! Hope you’re doing well!

48. Wencz says:

anyone know of a good pub in peterborough to watch the habs game on friday?

49. Habs fan in SF says:

someone made a rad habs video on youtube. i like it, despite not really caring for coldplay all too much …

50. Bianca says:

Ooooh my. I have been praying for this since I was a little kid. What an amazing final lap to the cup that would be.

At a girl Dana!

52. Woah_Dana says:

It’s nice to see that people have finally pulled the wool off of their eyes.
    There is no way we will make it to the Stanley Cup finals & NOT win. The drive will be stronger than ever. I say this with great confidence for three reasons:
    1. Every youngen on our team is determined to live their dream of hoisting the cup, you can see it in their eyes, not to mention our vets who have dedicated themselves to the CH. Especially Saku, who has put up with immeasurable amounts of criticism from the French media yet still leads his team, heart strong in the game. In my humble opinion, he deserves to hoist the cup the most. Gainey has not only formed a force to be reckoned with, but a brotherhood.
    2. The obvious – what better way to celebrate the Centennial?
    & 3. (This one I find most important) a chance to bring the cup back home to Canada, where it belongs.

I’ve said it for the past few years & I’ll be saying it until June – the Habs were the last team to bring the cup to Canada, & they will be the next.

The drive to 25 is alive – enough said.

53. Ian G Cobb says:

Wings have peaked and are on the way down slowly, now that they have lost Bowman to Chicogo. And now Chicogo will start to shine.

Sam Pollack, Scotty Bowman and Bob Gainey are cut from the same cloth. RED WHITE and BLUE with STANLEY in the middle holding up # 25.

This is going to be a great ride this year for our 100th.

54. HNS says:

Well 1/2 right. Deadwings won’t make it to the finals. I’d wager its San Jose.

55. Woah_Dana says:

A lack of passion is my only answer in regards to those people! I guess some people have it, some people don’t. I couldn’t imagine having it any other way, personally. Sure, I get emotional, stressed, happy, sad, but that’s the game to me. I can’t ever imagine watching a Habs game & feeling little to no emotion. It’s just huge to me.

I’m always up for discussion with people like yourself!! :)

56. patrone says:

Dana, I totally understand what you are saying. Friends of mine think I am crazy when I want to discuss the Habs, or when I get upset when they lose or just when I can’t wait to talk about the previous nights Hab victory. They think I’m a fanatic and childish as well. Frequently they’ll say, “Does the Habs winning or losing put bread on your plate?”… What kind of comment is that?? Talk about childish. It’s obvious they don’t understand the concept of loyalty. Whether the Habs win or lose I am immersed in the moment. Can’t help it, I have been like this since I started to support the Habs at age eight. You’re right that living in T.O. and being a Hab fan makes people react strangely toward me. I can’t tell you how many times I get asked “Why do you cheer for the Habs when you live in Toronto”? If I hear that silly comment one more time I think I’m going to go nuts! Frequently I’ll respond: “Well I live in Canada and I like to support the Canadiens”.
    (I find that by answering them in the same manner in which they addressed their question makes them realize how stupid their comment was in the first place).

I can’t believe how similar your experiences and responses are to my own.

Yep you are definitely awesome and I wouldn’t mind continuing to discuss the Habs with you on a continual basis.

All the best Dana!
    Long live the Habs.

57. Naila Jinnah says:

Funny. Habs vs. Red Wings is what the Habs Centennial Movie says too…

58. Woah_Dana says:

Lol yeah, I can imagine you can’t sing along.
    But if you were to sing a song of theirs on your own, you could probably make your own language & people wouldn’t know the difference :)

I’d love to catch them sometime.

59. Woah_Dana says:

My sarcasm never carries out on the Internet, damnit..

60. St.Leo Habs Fan says:

sounds about right to me. It looks like we have 4 solid lines, good defense and a soon to be superstar franchise goaltender, ian u called it buddy, build through the draft and look where it took us. Nice to see a few gm’s pick price to build a team around.

61. twocents says:

Right On! Ian.

What is the matter with these guys, talk about slow to catch on. We knew how good we were going to be this year, three years ago. Once Bob Gainey found his way back home, it was just a matter of time.

And this club is going to be on top for a very long time. I have been consistent on here for two years, about the only way back was to build through the draft. And we are now here to enjoy the fruits of labour from this great management team for many years. The real Montreal Canadiens are again back in town.

63. Ian G Cobb says:

Watched a great game to-night. PK SUBAN 1 goal and 3 assists as the Belleville Bulls beat the Oshawa Generals 5 to 2

64. twocents says:

Oh, oh oh whwhwhwait a minute maybe the GM’s didn’t know Kosto was going to pppplay on the third line anananand Breezer was going to be the 6th D for the first game. Oohohoh thththe GM’s might change their minds ififif they knew that!!!

(for clarity’s sake, the above comment is facetious, maybe even sarcastic, and meant to comment on some of the umm… overly dire reactions in the previous thread.)

65. LatheDog says:

I live in Windsor, Ontario…..just across the river from Detroit. I live in a city where there are more Redwing and Leaf fans than Montreal fans. I’ve been going around for the last month telling everybody that it’s gonna be Montreal and Detroit in the final! I just hope my Habs win or I will never hear the end of it from all these Canadian die hard Wings fans!!!

66. Devin_G7 says:

Im from amherstburg, i hear you man

67. LatheDog says:

yup, you know exactly what I mean!

68. Xtrahabsfan says:

Things are looking good for sure,so hopefully the dots connect and give us a Stanley.But if they don’t that’s no problem either cause with all the others teams drooling over our players everything can be fixed in a blink.Go Habs Go

69. Greg says:

way to nab 4 votes in there Pricey! The Priceman Cometh!!! Cup Champs ’09!!!!

70. Yeats says:

Well, that would be a truly fitting way to hoist the 25th banner to the rafters. Years ago, the only way you could win a heavyweight boxing championship was to knock out the standing champ. There is also an element of revenge involved in facing the Wings for the Chalice in the Centennial Year. OK, we beat them in the ’55-’56 Finals to begin the “Run of Five.” But we could have had six in a row if The Rocket wasn’t suspended in ’54-’55. (Crap we lost in Game 7 that year.) Can any of you think of a more fitting way to cap the Centennial season?