TSN to show Habs games in regional broadcast deal

TSN announced Thursday that it has secured the exclusive regional English-language broadcast rights for Canadiens game until the end of the 2012-13 season.

The multi-year agreement will see TSN present 24 games in the current season to viewers in Quebec, Atlantic Canada and parts of Eastern Ontario, including Ottawa, Belleville, Kingston and Pembroke, on a TSN alternate feed, with at least 30 Canadiens games to be broadcast regionally during the 2011-12 and 2012-13 NHL regular seasons.

TSN’s regional coverage of the Canadiens begins Monday, Oct. 25 when the Habs take on the Coyotes at 7:30 p.m.

TSN has secured carriage of Monday’s game on Bell Satellite TV on channel 1402 in HD and channel 402 in SD. TSN is working with other distributors in the territory to ensure the broadest possible distribution of the Canadiens games.

Fans should contact their local television service provider for specific channel details.

2010-11 TSN Montreal Canadiens Regional Broadcast Schedule

Regular Season
October
·    Monday, Oct. 25                         Phoenix @ Montreal                       7:30 p.m. ET
·    Friday, Oct. 29                            Montreal @ NY Islanders               7 p.m. ET

November
·    Tuesday, Nov. 2                         Montreal @ Columbus                   7 p.m. ET
·    Friday, Nov. 5                             Montreal @ Buffalo                         7:30 p.m. ET
·    Tuesday, Nov. 9                         Vancouver @ Montreal                   7:30 p.m. ET
·    Tuesday, Nov. 16                       Philadelphia @ Montreal               7 p.m. ET
·    Thursday, Nov. 18                     Nashville @ Montreal                     7:30 p.m. ET
·    Monday, Nov. 22                        Montreal @ Philadelphia               7 p.m. ET

December
·    Sunday, Dec. 19                        Montreal @ Colorado                      8 p.m. ET
·    Tuesday, Dec. 21                       Montreal @ Dallas                           9 p.m. ET
·    Sunday, Dec. 26                        Montreal @ NY Islanders               7 p.m. ET
·    Tuesday, Dec. 28                       Montreal @ Washington                7 p.m. ET
·    Thursday, Dec. 30                     Montreal @ Tampa Bay                  7:30 p.m. ET
·    Friday, Dec. 31                           Montreal @ Florida                          5 p.m. ET

January
·    Sunday, Jan. 2                           Atlanta @ Montreal                          1 p.m. ET
·    Thursday, Jan. 6                        Pittsburgh @ Montreal                    7:30 p.m. ET
·    Monday, Jan. 17                        Calgary @ Montreal                        7:30 p.m. ET

February
·    Tuesday, Feb. 15                       Buffalo @ Montreal                         7:30 p.m. ET
·    Thursday, Feb. 24                      Toronto @ Montreal                         7:30 p.m. ET

March
·    Thursday, March 3                     Montreal @ Florida                          7:30 p.m. ET
·    Tuesday, March 8                      Boston @ Montreal                          7:30 p.m. ET
·    Thursday, March 10                  Montreal @ St. Louis                       8 p.m. ET
·    Thursday, March 17                  Tampa Bay @ Montreal                  7:30 p.m. ET

April
·    Tuesday, April 5                         Chicago @ Montreal                       7:30 p.m. ET

1. lefreak says:

that has to be one of the worst trade “what ifs” that i have ever seen on here. (that says a lot).

kovalev is stinking it up for a reason you know.

hint: it isn’t because he wants to get traded to montreal.

i’d rather trade for steve yzerman.

2. HabsFanInTampa says:

Why would we want a washed-up prima donna way past his prime? No thanks.

3. Morenz7 says:

More proof that the Habs are a broadcast gold mine: if you air them, we will come. TSN probably saw RDS’s growing subscriber base outside Quebec and figured it was time to really go after those anglo Canadiens fans.

I’m actually surprised it took this long for the penny to drop, and I wonder how the Sens feel about it. I recall Melnyk (Eugene, that is) complaining that when he drove an hour out of Ottawa, he’d turn on a TV and find the Leafs playing on HNIC. Made him furious.

Now the Habs are mowing his grass, too. Sorry, Gene, but we’re Canadiens fans. We don’t covert.

4. Propwash says:

More chances for J.T to fun of Pierre McGuire, schaweet.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

5. Mr.Hazard says:

Hey that’s just a copy-paste of the TSN release! Give us a comment.

6. Kevin Mio says:

Ian,

A family gathering will keep me away from you guys and the Canadiens that night. Glad to see that the summit keeps growing. Keep up the good work.

You can get Boone to do his table dance in my place :)

7. mike g says:

LMAO…

nice.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

8. TomNickle says:

If you’re looking for a scapegoat in our defense group you need look no further than Spacek’s current partner.

9. Propwash says:

I’d do it if Kovy would accept a 2way deal, he either performs, or gets das boot to the Dogs

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

10. SeriousFan09 says:

Kovalev wasn’t just called a locker room problem here Mike, it was in New York, Pittsburgh, New York again and then in Montreal, sooner or later, the skate fits. OTT isn’t going to swap aging players either and all the reasons you just gave out for why we should get rid of Spacek, why do you think they’d be so eager to take him on when they can wave bye-bye to the enigma at the end of the season?

I don’t think he’s going to have a good year, he’s had two years in his career where he’s lived up to his talent level out of 17 seasons in the NHL. We don’t need Pleks making Kovy a solid producer, he should be one in his own right but with all the drama we had with that guy… it ain’t worth it bringing him back and dredging up the old headaches with him sleeping his way through 50 of his games each year.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

11. otter649 says:

Read an article in The Toronto Sun today concerning The CBC that The CBC may try/bid to acquire the french language broadcast rights of The Habs when The RDS contract ends as well as launching all-sports channels in French & English which they have a licence to do……….

12. RGM says:

As I understand it, after a 5-minute chat with a somewhat bewildered Eastlink agent, it’s going to be orchestrated similar to what CBC does with their regional feeds. If you fall in the appropriate regions to be included in the deal, it’ll just be on your regular TSN channel.

If there’s anything of note to report, they’ll send us a digital message on our boxes.

Suffice to say….HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!

13. mike g says:

I think Spacek’s the one who really lost a step…

Were paying him 3.8 mill per year to get slower by the second, massive giveaways, and create odd man rushes. Not to mention, he’s one of the softest players infront of our net. And, he’s signed for next year.

At least if the Kovalev experiment 2.0 doesn’t work, he’s off the books at years end. And something tells me he’d have a good year with Pleks. Ottawa just doesn’t know how to use him, Pleks can make him a solid producer.

And btw, enough with this locker room problems stuff. None of us are in there, so we don’t know how these guys are. Maybe he’s a problem, maybe not. But everyone that leaves here is labelled a locker room problem on this site.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

14. JD says:

Agree with that!

15. Chuck says:

I think that I just heard Ian do a back flip. Or rather, land after a back flip.  ;)

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

Kevin, Great stuff. This year here in Belleville we are also getting RDS now. So TSN coverage is much welcomed.

By the way Kevin, are you going to attend any events at the Summit this year? Need wife permission, I can help by letting her know you won’t be permitted to do your table dance this year.

Chris Aung-Thwin has posted a new article on The Other Wing (right hand side of the page, scroll down).

18. Chuck says:

IF he were to bust his ass every shift and not be a problem in the room? Hmm…

But the problem is that there’s a long track record that suggests that wouldn’t be the best idea. But if it were the move that could put your team over the top, I’d at the very least consider it.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

Yes, bring back the lazy prima donna who disrupted the locker room and set a terrible example for every young player on the team, whose lost a step with his knee injury and is out of his prime.

I think you’ve had a bit too much Old no. 7 today Mike.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

20. HFX-HabFan says:

Nice!  I’ll get to tune into more games here in the ‘fax, and then when we visit family in Belleville, we’ll still have Habs games in what is very much Leafland.

21. mike g says:

How about this trade buddies….

Kovalev bak to MTL, for Spacek and OB.

Ryan will never crack out top 6, or 7. He’s number 7 now with Markov out. Spacek’s got another year of problems with us after this one.

So we take their problem off their hands, and we give them ours.

Think about it…

AK-PLEKS-KOVY

CAMMY-GOMEZ-GIONTA

Problems solved for our top 6.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

22. g says:

live in toronto

can’t speak french

can’t watch on any thing other than RDS-it’s a tradition and the french language is music to my during a game-it is hockey!

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

23. mike g says:

FSN’s actually not that bad…

Infact some of the best feeds come from regional FSN broadcasts.

The Kings’ crew are awsome.

But my favorite has to be the Hawks’ guys on Comcast. Those guys know their stuff, aren’t biased, and never make mistakes.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

24. joshua94k says:

This is great news for numerous fans across Canada. This year’s edition is going to be exciting and a force to be reckoned with. Playing with 4 strong lines, a strong defense and a top goalie, they are going to be hard to beat with their speed and persistence. They have marquee players with Cammalleri, Gionta, Markov, Price, Subban, Plekenac etc. Also with several players in critical stages of their contract and players waiting in the wings, there is seldom going to be a dull night.

25. Bryan says:

So as a Rogers customer in the GTA this does zip for me.  Sigh.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

26. lefreak says:

oyoyoyoyoyoyoy BAM! Tough actin tinactin.

if anything, i think the fan hate makes him more valuable to rds…everyone loves to hate the bad guy.

27. newbrunswick troy says:

Wow Dale, your doing better than me …i thought it was ” ate le boo”  and “mentaly handicap person in the game”……..must be something in all that boiled water you harbor folk been drinking!!!!ha ha just kidding

very colorful indeed. Still, RDS is better than any other channel that shows Habs game.

29. Drakan says:

He doesn’t do play by play. He does the color commentating.

30. Rudy says:

Mike Johnson??? Wow, that should be interesting. Maybe I’ll get TSN coverage through NHL Center Ice instead of stupid NESN, MSG, FSN, etc. but I doubt it.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

So I take it this means we won’t be able to view these games in the Toronto GTA.

On the other hand, this should make Ian’s day.

32. savethepuck says:

Great news for me in New Brunswick.  I watch every game on RDS but my French is not too great after “et la but!” or “retarde de la match”

33. lefreak says:

good news for you out of town habs fans!!!!!

i might be an anglo, but i’ll stick to rds. even if brunet is still there, they do the game right and can’t be beat.

Why is Brunet still doing play by play?

35. forskis says:

Pretty neat of TSN to try and do the regional thing for everyday except Saturday…who knows, if they ever get Saturday regional games, it could be the end of HNIC.

Also, nothing wrong with Dave Randorf…he is ok in my books especially since he handles all “smaller” sports events, good for him to get something bigger and more “mainstream” and good for Mike Johnson, the only way to become a better broadcaster and commentator is to actually do it.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

36. avatar_58 says:

Yes but some of us don’t get RDS HD

37. doogmac says:

dave randorf and former hab mike johnson are doing the commentating

38. sholi2000.com says:

RDS and Rick Moffat on the PC will be better than anything TSN provides.

They Call Me Shane

39. newbrunswick troy says:

It sure is nice to see…the network that never has anything good to say about the habs or any indepth coverage to show a non-bias relationship with the leafs…..Is finaly bowing into the fact that “Canada,s true hockey franchise” can not be ignored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!we are millions strong

40. otter649 says:

I wonder if TSN will use Versus or the opposition’s anoouncers for the games instead of their own broadcast crews……..

41. mike g says:

YEAH HOOOOOOO!!…

Thanks alot TSN, you guys are the best. But did you really have to laugh in our faces by throwing us DAVE RANDORFF?

LOL, wtv at least it’s not McGuire or Ferraro.

Thanks again, love you. Hate Toronto, but love you.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

42. FB says:

I get Bell 1402 but assuming since I am in Brampton I won’t get to watch it.

43. Habs1st says:

Excellent news!  Too bad for me…. I moved from Atlantic Canada to BC less than a year ago!!!!!!  DAMN!!!!

44. Keith says:

I hope they fail and RDS keeps the rights. I want the CBC and their laff-lover bias to go away from hockey forever.

45. Big Ted says:

Still plan on tuning into RDS no matter whether TSN or CBC is showing the game, but at least the Habs are getting a little bit of respect. Will wait until the overhwelming Toronto-centric bias dissipates and some of the awful analysts are replaced before I consider watching them though.

46. LA Loyalist says:

What about just in time for the Playoffs. That, I think, would be worth the candle.

47. Bob Dobbs says:

I’d make that trade.

48. lefreak says:

i’d rather have mab back than kovalev…and i dislike mab and have loved kovalev.

49. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m pretty sure if Gagne doesn’t pick up the pace soon, a guy with a fake nose and moustache is going to be lining up next to Lecavalier wearing #19.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

He is to busy buying rounds. But I would pay a lot of dough to see it.!

51. db says:

In the way that TSN copy/pastes so many articles and labels them TSN staff…  the comments come from us.

52. Keith says:

Well it’s about bloody time! I knew this would come to pass someday and I’m looking forward to the day when TSN takes over saturday night hockey and CBC goes the way of the dinosaur.

53. HabsFansince49 says:

TSN does the Habs! Nah!

I’m not French. Can’t speak the language unfortunately, but I’ll watch RDS despite TSN being available in my area (Nova Scotia).

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

54. HabsFansince49 says:

Check Big Ted’s comments below. I’m with him

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

55. canada4l says:

I want Rogers to carry this in the GTA, this deal should be national as the Habs are Canada’s real team despite was the Make Beleafs say.

56. oldrrty says:

The only down side is that we get to hear Ferraro bad mouth the Canadiens 24 times a year. If they announced new analysts without a Leaf or Oiler’s bias it would be better news!

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

57. adam76 says:

Cool – more coverage, more fans.

58. adam76 says:

So if we live in a world with leafs TV, why i the blue hell don’t we have Habs TV?  I’m not into TV, I like sports and nothing else.  I would pay 200 dollhairs for a Habs TV deal.

59. B says:

CBC broadcasts HD over the air for free. Great quality. Not everyone can afford to pay for cable or satellite (or even to upgrade from analogue). It just seems a shame to have to pay to see the Habs play on TV :(

60. fbkj says:

if your still on analog you have bigger issues ;)

61. boneheadslanger33 says:

What might those be?

62. Say Ash says:

It’s funny but there are still hundreds of thousands of Canadians using rabbit ears.

63. fbkj says:

well for one, no pr0n on demand :P

im just kidding btw

64. dh says:

I get enough stations.  Not a big TV watcher.  If the rabbit ears had better reception I’d probably be using them.

65. fbkj says:

i envy you… seriously… i wish i could cut cable out entirely

66. dh says:

HD would be nice for Habs games though.

67. lefreak says:

RDS > blind/deaf/dumb stripper that wants to go home with you in exchange for a dollar:p

68. notbigbird says:

I’m in Ottawa. That’s so flppin awesome.

69. fbkj says:

ill stick with RDS…

70. newbrunswick troy says:

I too would but i can,t understand enough french…(cause the guys talk to fast)…so this works great for me as long as Pierre Mcguire doesn,t start going on about “Komiserak”

71. B says:

Does that mean no more games free over the air on CBC?

72. dh says:

Sounds like that’s what it means.  Doesn’t sound like a good deal for Videotron analog customers either as we don’t get the alternate TSN stations.

73. J Haul says:

CBC generally shows Saturday games during the regular season. I don’t think there are any Saturday games listed above, so it should be fine.

74. avatar_58 says:

What is this “alternate feed” and how do I get it?

I hate cable. I just want to watch every game in HD, english or not. Yet I can’t. And I pay for this anyway….

75. Axeman says:

While this is great news, those of us Habs fans in REAL enemy territory (Toronto) will not likely be able to take advantage of this.

Hopefully, here in Toronto, the “alternate feed” for these games will be TSN2, in which case I will be VERY happy!

76. dallyd31 says:

Any idea if this includes Peterborough ?

77. kempie says:

I’m in Peterborough too and I’d like to know as well. Not that it matters as much now that I get RDS.

78. fbkj says:

oh fair enough i get it… my moms an anglo and always bitches to me when habs games arent on in english, i shrug…

Damn Kempie, you moved back? Calgary didn’t treat you well? I hope it’s nothing I’ve said when we met at Shanks. Btw, congrats on the birth of your kid, albeit belated.

80. kempie says:

Thanks Mike, no nothing you said. Just with the birth of our first impending and with the freedom to now work for the same Calgary company from my home in Ontario, we decided to come back. Most of our family and friends are here. Plus games that start at 5:00 pm were starting to drive me nuts.