TSN to show Habs games in regional broadcast deal

TSN announced Thursday that it has secured the exclusive regional English-language broadcast rights for Canadiens game until the end of the 2012-13 season.

The multi-year agreement will see TSN present 24 games in the current season to viewers in Quebec, Atlantic Canada and parts of Eastern Ontario, including Ottawa, Belleville, Kingston and Pembroke, on a TSN alternate feed, with at least 30 Canadiens games to be broadcast regionally during the 2011-12 and 2012-13 NHL regular seasons.

TSN’s regional coverage of the Canadiens begins Monday, Oct. 25 when the Habs take on the Coyotes at 7:30 p.m.

TSN has secured carriage of Monday’s game on Bell Satellite TV on channel 1402 in HD and channel 402 in SD. TSN is working with other distributors in the territory to ensure the broadest possible distribution of the Canadiens games.

Fans should contact their local television service provider for specific channel details.

2010-11 TSN Montreal Canadiens Regional Broadcast Schedule

Regular Season
·    Monday, Oct. 25                         Phoenix @ Montreal                       7:30 p.m. ET
·    Friday, Oct. 29                            Montreal @ NY Islanders               7 p.m. ET

·    Tuesday, Nov. 2                         Montreal @ Columbus                   7 p.m. ET
·    Friday, Nov. 5                             Montreal @ Buffalo                         7:30 p.m. ET
·    Tuesday, Nov. 9                         Vancouver @ Montreal                   7:30 p.m. ET
·    Tuesday, Nov. 16                       Philadelphia @ Montreal               7 p.m. ET
·    Thursday, Nov. 18                     Nashville @ Montreal                     7:30 p.m. ET
·    Monday, Nov. 22                        Montreal @ Philadelphia               7 p.m. ET

·    Sunday, Dec. 19                        Montreal @ Colorado                      8 p.m. ET
·    Tuesday, Dec. 21                       Montreal @ Dallas                           9 p.m. ET
·    Sunday, Dec. 26                        Montreal @ NY Islanders               7 p.m. ET
·    Tuesday, Dec. 28                       Montreal @ Washington                7 p.m. ET
·    Thursday, Dec. 30                     Montreal @ Tampa Bay                  7:30 p.m. ET
·    Friday, Dec. 31                           Montreal @ Florida                          5 p.m. ET

·    Sunday, Jan. 2                           Atlanta @ Montreal                          1 p.m. ET
·    Thursday, Jan. 6                        Pittsburgh @ Montreal                    7:30 p.m. ET
·    Monday, Jan. 17                        Calgary @ Montreal                        7:30 p.m. ET

·    Tuesday, Feb. 15                       Buffalo @ Montreal                         7:30 p.m. ET
·    Thursday, Feb. 24                      Toronto @ Montreal                         7:30 p.m. ET

·    Thursday, March 3                     Montreal @ Florida                          7:30 p.m. ET
·    Tuesday, March 8                      Boston @ Montreal                          7:30 p.m. ET
·    Thursday, March 10                  Montreal @ St. Louis                       8 p.m. ET
·    Thursday, March 17                  Tampa Bay @ Montreal                  7:30 p.m. ET

·    Tuesday, April 5                         Chicago @ Montreal                       7:30 p.m. ET

1. Keith says:

I hope they fail and RDS keeps the rights. I want the CBC and their laff-lover bias to go away from hockey forever.

2. Big Ted says:

Still plan on tuning into RDS no matter whether TSN or CBC is showing the game, but at least the Habs are getting a little bit of respect. Will wait until the overhwelming Toronto-centric bias dissipates and some of the awful analysts are replaced before I consider watching them though.

3. LA Loyalist says:

What about just in time for the Playoffs. That, I think, would be worth the candle.

4. Bob Dobbs says:

I’d make that trade.

5. lefreak says:

i’d rather have mab back than kovalev…and i dislike mab and have loved kovalev.

6. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m pretty sure if Gagne doesn’t pick up the pace soon, a guy with a fake nose and moustache is going to be lining up next to Lecavalier wearing #19.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

He is to busy buying rounds. But I would pay a lot of dough to see it.!

8. db says:

In the way that TSN copy/pastes so many articles and labels them TSN staff…  the comments come from us.

9. lefreak says:

that has to be one of the worst trade “what ifs” that i have ever seen on here. (that says a lot).

kovalev is stinking it up for a reason you know.

hint: it isn’t because he wants to get traded to montreal.

i’d rather trade for steve yzerman.

10. HabsFanInTampa says:

Why would we want a washed-up prima donna way past his prime? No thanks.

11. Morenz7 says:

More proof that the Habs are a broadcast gold mine: if you air them, we will come. TSN probably saw RDS’s growing subscriber base outside Quebec and figured it was time to really go after those anglo Canadiens fans.

I’m actually surprised it took this long for the penny to drop, and I wonder how the Sens feel about it. I recall Melnyk (Eugene, that is) complaining that when he drove an hour out of Ottawa, he’d turn on a TV and find the Leafs playing on HNIC. Made him furious.

Now the Habs are mowing his grass, too. Sorry, Gene, but we’re Canadiens fans. We don’t covert.

12. Propwash says:

More chances for J.T to fun of Pierre McGuire, schaweet.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

13. Mr.Hazard says:

Hey that’s just a copy-paste of the TSN release! Give us a comment.

14. Kevin Mio says:

A family gathering will keep me away from you guys and the Canadiens that night. Glad to see that the summit keeps growing. Keep up the good work.

You can get Boone to do his table dance in my place 🙂

15. mike g says:

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

16. TomNickle says:

If you’re looking for a scapegoat in our defense group you need look no further than Spacek’s current partner.

17. Propwash says:

I’d do it if Kovy would accept a 2way deal, he either performs, or gets das boot to the Dogs

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

18. SeriousFan09 says:

Kovalev wasn’t just called a locker room problem here Mike, it was in New York, Pittsburgh, New York again and then in Montreal, sooner or later, the skate fits. OTT isn’t going to swap aging players either and all the reasons you just gave out for why we should get rid of Spacek, why do you think they’d be so eager to take him on when they can wave bye-bye to the enigma at the end of the season?

I don’t think he’s going to have a good year, he’s had two years in his career where he’s lived up to his talent level out of 17 seasons in the NHL. We don’t need Pleks making Kovy a solid producer, he should be one in his own right but with all the drama we had with that guy… it ain’t worth it bringing him back and dredging up the old headaches with him sleeping his way through 50 of his games each year.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

19. otter649 says:

Read an article in The Toronto Sun today concerning The CBC that The CBC may try/bid to acquire the french language broadcast rights of The Habs when The RDS contract ends as well as launching all-sports channels in French & English which they have a licence to do……….

20. RGM says:

As I understand it, after a 5-minute chat with a somewhat bewildered Eastlink agent, it’s going to be orchestrated similar to what CBC does with their regional feeds. If you fall in the appropriate regions to be included in the deal, it’ll just be on your regular TSN channel.

If there’s anything of note to report, they’ll send us a digital message on our boxes.

Suffice to say….HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!

21. mike g says:

I think Spacek’s the one who really lost a step…

Were paying him 3.8 mill per year to get slower by the second, massive giveaways, and create odd man rushes. Not to mention, he’s one of the softest players infront of our net. And, he’s signed for next year.

At least if the Kovalev experiment 2.0 doesn’t work, he’s off the books at years end. And something tells me he’d have a good year with Pleks. Ottawa just doesn’t know how to use him, Pleks can make him a solid producer.

And btw, enough with this locker room problems stuff. None of us are in there, so we don’t know how these guys are. Maybe he’s a problem, maybe not. But everyone that leaves here is labelled a locker room problem on this site.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

22. JD says:

Agree with that!

23. Chuck says:

I think that I just heard Ian do a back flip. Or rather, land after a back flip.  😉

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

Kevin, Great stuff. This year here in Belleville we are also getting RDS now. So TSN coverage is much welcomed.

By the way Kevin, are you going to attend any events at the Summit this year? Need wife permission, I can help by letting her know you won’t be permitted to do your table dance this year.

Chris Aung-Thwin has posted a new article on The Other Wing (right hand side of the page, scroll down).

26. Chuck says:

IF he were to bust his ass every shift and not be a problem in the room? Hmm…

But the problem is that there’s a long track record that suggests that wouldn’t be the best idea. But if it were the move that could put your team over the top, I’d at the very least consider it.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Yes, bring back the lazy prima donna who disrupted the locker room and set a terrible example for every young player on the team, whose lost a step with his knee injury and is out of his prime.

I think you’ve had a bit too much Old no. 7 today Mike.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

28. HFX-HabFan says:

Nice!  I’ll get to tune into more games here in the ‘fax, and then when we visit family in Belleville, we’ll still have Habs games in what is very much Leafland.

29. mike g says:

How about this trade buddies….

Kovalev bak to MTL, for Spacek and OB.

Ryan will never crack out top 6, or 7. He’s number 7 now with Markov out. Spacek’s got another year of problems with us after this one.

So we take their problem off their hands, and we give them ours.

Think about it…

Problems solved for our top 6.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

30. g says:

live in toronto

can’t speak french

can’t watch on any thing other than RDS-it’s a tradition and the french language is music to my during a game-it is hockey!

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

31. mike g says:

FSN’s actually not that bad…

Infact some of the best feeds come from regional FSN broadcasts.

The Kings’ crew are awsome.

But my favorite has to be the Hawks’ guys on Comcast. Those guys know their stuff, aren’t biased, and never make mistakes.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

32. joshua94k says:

This is great news for numerous fans across Canada. This year’s edition is going to be exciting and a force to be reckoned with. Playing with 4 strong lines, a strong defense and a top goalie, they are going to be hard to beat with their speed and persistence. They have marquee players with Cammalleri, Gionta, Markov, Price, Subban, Plekenac etc. Also with several players in critical stages of their contract and players waiting in the wings, there is seldom going to be a dull night.

33. Bryan says:

So as a Rogers customer in the GTA this does zip for me.  Sigh.

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

34. lefreak says:

oyoyoyoyoyoyoy BAM! Tough actin tinactin.

if anything, i think the fan hate makes him more valuable to rds…everyone loves to hate the bad guy.

35. newbrunswick troy says:

Wow Dale, your doing better than me …i thought it was ” ate le boo”  and “mentaly handicap person in the game”……..must be something in all that boiled water you harbor folk been drinking!!!!ha ha just kidding

very colorful indeed. Still, RDS is better than any other channel that shows Habs game.

37. Drakan says:

He doesn’t do play by play. He does the color commentating.

38. Rudy says:

Mike Johnson??? Wow, that should be interesting. Maybe I’ll get TSN coverage through NHL Center Ice instead of stupid NESN, MSG, FSN, etc. but I doubt it.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

So I take it this means we won’t be able to view these games in the Toronto GTA.

On the other hand, this should make Ian’s day.

40. savethepuck says:

Great news for me in New Brunswick.  I watch every game on RDS but my French is not too great after “et la but!” or “retarde de la match”

41. lefreak says:

good news for you out of town habs fans!!!!!

i might be an anglo, but i’ll stick to rds. even if brunet is still there, they do the game right and can’t be beat.

Why is Brunet still doing play by play?

43. forskis says:

Pretty neat of TSN to try and do the regional thing for everyday except Saturday…who knows, if they ever get Saturday regional games, it could be the end of HNIC.

Also, nothing wrong with Dave Randorf…he is ok in my books especially since he handles all “smaller” sports events, good for him to get something bigger and more “mainstream” and good for Mike Johnson, the only way to become a better broadcaster and commentator is to actually do it.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

44. avatar_58 says:

Yes but some of us don’t get RDS HD

45. doogmac says:

dave randorf and former hab mike johnson are doing the commentating

46. sholi2000.com says:

RDS and Rick Moffat on the PC will be better than anything TSN provides.

They Call Me Shane

47. newbrunswick troy says:

It sure is nice to see…the network that never has anything good to say about the habs or any indepth coverage to show a non-bias relationship with the leafs…..Is finaly bowing into the fact that “Canada,s true hockey franchise” can not be ignored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!we are millions strong

48. otter649 says:

I wonder if TSN will use Versus or the opposition’s anoouncers for the games instead of their own broadcast crews……..

49. mike g says:

Thanks alot TSN, you guys are the best. But did you really have to laugh in our faces by throwing us DAVE RANDORFF?

LOL, wtv at least it’s not McGuire or Ferraro.

Thanks again, love you. Hate Toronto, but love you.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

50. FB says:

I get Bell 1402 but assuming since I am in Brampton I won’t get to watch it.

51. Habs1st says:

Excellent news!  Too bad for me…. I moved from Atlantic Canada to BC less than a year ago!!!!!!  DAMN!!!!