Training camp notes: On Gomez, Leblanc and Galchenyuk

therrienweb

Canadiens captain Brian Gionta was swarmed by reporters on Sunday after training camp practice and the first question, as expected, was about the departure of Scott Gomez from the team.

“As a teammate, as a friend it’s tough to see,” said Gionta.

“He wants to play and, you know, to have that taken away is a tough thing for sure.”

“We’ll do whatever we can to support him,” Gionta added. “It’s just an unfortunate thing in the game that happens.”

Gionta and Gomez go back a long way, playing together as teenagers when both were involved with USA Hockey. They were also linemates with the New Jersey Devils.

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin made the announcement shortly after training camp started that the Canadiens were sending Gomez home and planned to buy out his contract this summer.

Gionta heard the news from head coach Michel Therrien as soon as he arrived at the practice facility.

Bergevin was also asked about Louis Leblanc, the Canadiens first-round draft pick in 2009 who played more games with the Habs last season than the Bulldogs but wasn’t invited to training camp.

Leblanc suffered a high ankle sprain early in the season and missed about 10 games.  It slowed his progress, said Bergevin, who noted he isn’t where he should be as a result.  It’s often almost better to suffer a fracture than a high ankle injury because it heals faster, Bergevin said.

“Those injuries are tricky.”

Four players from the Hamilton Bulldogs were invited to training camp: Brendan Gallagher, Gabriel Dumont, Jarred Tinordi and Mike Commodore.

Forward Alex Galchenyuk, 18, the Habs first-round draft pick last June is the youngest player here. Therrien told reporters he doesn’t want to put pressure on Galchenyuk, especially at his age. He wants to start Galchenyuk on the wing at training camp and then try him at centre after a few days, Therrien said.

Players who’ve had good years and bad years have to prove themselves all over again, Max Pacioretty said. “That’s why it’s a clean slate for everyone and we’re excited to get out there and battle.”

Players also talked about the new system they’ll be playing under Therrien.

You can hear what Josh Gorges had to say following the start of training camp below:

You can hear more from Max Pacioretty below:

You can hear forward Travis Moen’s comments below:

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

1. nunacanadien says:

Bergevin finish the mistake made by Gainey, also buyout Gionta, the little tyke has no more heart left in him. He can’t smash or crash the other net, in fact Gionta is no where to be seen on the ice period. Why do we overpay Gionta, not as much as Gomez but he is a significant hit, and when the other teams push him around they know they can push Montreal around. Time to stop signing these tiny tykes, it makes Coors USA look bad. If we have to we’ll put out a negative campaign saying Saltpeter in Molson and Coors just so they can take it easy and not sign real pro hockey players in their pro teams to sell beer to sports fans.

Enough of this corporate sabotage of the habs. Get rid of the riff raff you brought here Adolph Coors and company.

• 44har48 says:

I don’t want to throw names around here, but you might be very surprised to see what long term deal the Habs are forced to buyout this summer with the other amnesty. A lot of hockey is to be played before now and then and this team is still evaluating.

• Drive4twenty5 says:

Your an idiot

“Well, he’s a thoroughbred, and maybe your wife doesn’t recognize that, but then again, I can’t bake bread all that well. We all have different skills.” …Bob Gainey “Classic”

Watching tape of Gomez skating on Thursday and all I can say is that practice was probably part of the decision. To me, Gomez looked awful. As if he is one pirouette away from another groin injury.

3. frontenac1 says:

o Le Tigre thinks PK should be the highest paid D with exception of Markov on the Habs. But only a two year contract.I agree we are probably looking at a 2yr deal but how much? Del Zotto is getting 2.5mill and Georges is getting 3plus so what would get it done for a 2yr deal?

• nunacanadien says:

PK eclipses Markov all around. Markov is a stay at home defenseman who doesn’t defend. Plain and simple. Markov should have played forward but then he doesn’t scrimmage around the boards either. In fact why does Markov even bother to call himself a pro hockey player?

• 44har48 says:

Oh my, I’m sorry for replying to you above, I didn’t realize you know nothing about Hockey…wow. Really? I would dare say Markov has forgotten more about being a great Dman in the NHL than PK will ever know.

• Drive4twenty5 says:

Seriously

• Drive4twenty5 says:

Go cheer for the leafs son , You have no idea what your talking about.

4. DorvalTony says:

When I find myself in times of trouble Marc Bergevin says to me “Tony there is hope, we’re Gomez-free. Gomez-free, Gomez-free, Gomez-free, Gomez-free,” speaking words of wisdom “We’re Gomez-free.”

5. frontenac1 says:

@Matty. Yep it was the Devils. My mistake.Darche always tried hard, but just didn’t have it IMO. He is a smart lad and I think he will land on his feet. I allways liked the guy.

6. db says:

Can anyone offer some trade analysis on this deal?

Carolina acquired forward Kevin Westgarth from the Los Angeles Kings for forward Anthony Stewart, a fourth-round draft pick in 2013 and a sixth-round selection in 2014.

7. neumann103 says:

I have to admit that my reaction to reading this was that the rumour I heard here in Toronto was that Burkie impregnated a 23 year old.

It’s been a loooooooooooooooooong time since Hazel Mae saw 23.

“Et le but!”

8. Mattyleg says:

Wow, Scott Neidermayer is the D coach at Anaheim now.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. frontenac1 says:

Hey, Darche got an invite to the Caps training camp? Good for him, wish him well.How about that young lady named Valerie that will be following the social media this season? Not bad eh?

10. Marc10 says:

Wow. Now the Gomez circus is out of the picture, I’m curious to see who takes the opportunity to slot in next to Pleky on the second line. I’d love nothing more than to see Galley step and outperform Gio, Eller, Bourque et al, and ratchet up the competition. We’re going to need goals from that second unit if this team is going to compete.

11. In reply to earlier;

I will call Mitch and Rod tomorrow afternoon, and let the listeners decide, plus I want to sit for a segment at 690 like I did last year. That was a blast.

It’s Toronto vs Our Canadiens, and my record in the Bell is 5-1.

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

12. frontenac1 says:

@jols. Gally was on the same line with Gio. Gio said he had a lot of talent and will get a good look over this camp. Gotta feeling that Gio will be his Big Bro. Which is a good thing.

I made a lot of noise about how I am going to boycott hockey but the truth is I have a lot of respect for Geoff Molson since he took over as owner of the Habs. As a native Montrealer it isn’t easy to just shut the Habs out. Unless you’re name is Marty F. I still think the costs at the Bell Centre are outrageous. That being said I live to see the day that the Bettman era is over and Phoenix is moved to a hockey market.

14. youngwun says:

Gally LW with pleks and gio on RW . See how it goes . Eller bourque Armstrong third line. Moen and prust 4th line . What y’all think?

15. frontenac1 says:

Yep. Big Heads up RDS preseason. Chantal Macabee is there too!

16. Mattyleg says:

So I go to Stowe for some cross-country skiing (amazing!) and all hell breaks loose.

Glad to see Gomer gone, not for any personal reasons, just that it’s time to turn the page on that whole situation. Smart move by Bergevin, sucks being Gomer.

Looks like I’m going to Game 2 on Tuesday against Florida. Buddy picked us up tickets. Should be fun, as always.

Oh, and for the people ‘boycotting’ going to games… do you really think that Geoff Molson was a mover behind this whole situation? I don’t get the desire to punish him. Punish Bettman? You can’t do it. Not in Montreal.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

If you go back through last thread you’ll see that we have found an answer for what u should do with that Gomez jersey of yours. ;-)

• Mattyleg says:

Ugh!
        I just spent a large part of my life scrolling through 757 comments and didn’t turn anything up.

What was the consensus?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Chuck says:

Donate back to the prize pool for the next Summit raffle, and for every year going forward it’ll be the booby prize for whoever has their number called last.

I’d also like to add that as an extra bit of humiliation the winner of the jersey should be forced to wear it to the game. :)

___________________________________________________

That is quite the story. I have my doubts if true, that it ever hits the papers. I am kind of leery to respond as it seems tabloidish. I don’t doubt you were told this, but at this point i must treat this as just another in the string of rumours I have heard.

There are a pile of them making the rounds and each one I’ve heard is different.

18. frontenac1 says:

@jols .thanks for the heads up. Amigo.

19. Mike D says:

That’s not news. I heard that rumour a few hours after Burke was turfed.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

20. frontenac1 says:

@Shane. Crazy is a totally subjective and redundant term. Very passe. In my opinion you will never go wrong going to Montreal for a weekend,hockey game or not. My advice,for what it is worth,is to go for it.Saludos Amigo!

21. jols101 says:

If anyone is interested RDS is showing training camp from earlier today. At least i think that is what is going on, I can’t understand a thing.

22. New Poll

I just checked the habs site for individual tickets to the Leafs game this Saturday.

I can buy a CD A.B, or C right now.

Poll Question….

Am I crazy for flying in on Saturday, go to the game and then Fly back on Sunday?

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

23. frontenac1 says:

@Commandant. I hear ya amigo,but there could be something brewing there with Commodore IMO. Just feels strange.

24. Hobie Hansen says:

I’m really interested to see this new system everyone is talking about. I like what I hear from Travis Moen when he says that Therrien expects everyone to play high tempo hockey and finish their hits.

It was frustrating at times over the past several years watching the Habs always turning the other cheek and only a small portion of the team finishing their checks. It was like an option or even frowned upon during the Martin era.

I was excited when the team decided to part with guys like Koivu and Kovalev and bring in Cammalleri, Gionta, Moen and Gomez. I thought even though most of the guys were small in stature that we’d see more of a North American attitude and a more aggressive team. I also thought a few more 3rd and 4th liners with some grit would have been brought in.

The Martin/Gauthier era featured one miracle run but it was embarrassing watching the smallest bunch pushovers to ever wear the Habs jersey.

So now that Bergevin and Therrien are here we’re going to, for the first time is AGES, see some hardnosed hockey. Praise the Lord!

25. twilighthours says:

I’ll be sorry to see the end of this exceptional day.

26. durocher says:

REQUEST: I just bought tickets to see the Habs in Tampa Bay and Florida this season. Does anyone know what hotel the Habs stay in when they are playing Tampa Bay and Florida? Thanks!

27. frontenac1 says:

@Bri. Or maybe the other way around. Who nows. At the end of the day , Mehan,PK and Marc will get it done IMO. Like most things in hockey, it is in everybodys interest. But then again maybe not. Ah Chr#st ,there I go go again! Go Pats and Go Niners!!

28. Habbu says:

An interesting dynamic this season…….PK & Therrien…..

29. frontenac1 says:

PK is talented and clever enough to let Mehan do the talking. Marc will get the deal done. What is really interesting me now is Commodore. I have been intrigued by this side show for awile now.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Commodore, St. Denis, Weber, and Diaz in any order isn’t bad for your 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th defencemen, but you can’t freely move them up and down from and to the AHL until they clear waivers once. If they sign Commodore do they waive him right away? Maybe they waive or trade some of the other guys. That’s a tough puzzle to solve, so I’m just going to wait and see what happens.

30. rhino514 says:

How much does Gomez´cap hit hurt? For one thing, the team cannot sign the LW it desperately needs to be competitive (or they could even have kept AK if they really wanted to). Right now they have no natural LW who can play top six after Pax.
    At least they won´t have that problem next season.

• Chris says:

What LW was on the market that they could have signed?

Parise was never coming to Montreal, and he was the only significant free agent winger of note that the Habs had a shot at. Doan wanted to stay in Phoenix, Whitney is older than Yoda, and the rest were largely no better than who the team has now.

The problem is that there aren’t many good wingers out there that are available, and the ones that do come up initiate a feeding frenzy and they have their choice of locations.

Most NHL players cite Montreal as their favourite arena to play in. The unspoken addendum to that is that they especially love playing there as the opponent. :)

31. Habfan10912 says:

Larry Brooks of the NY Post tweets about the good Doctor.

So with Recchi joining Dallas staff as per @CraigCustance, I presume he didn’t negotiate contract, just took whatever management offered.

32. Sportfan says:

Cole is playing this season right?

33. HabFab says:

Real_ESPNLeBrun – Told there 6,000 fans at Blues practice today. 5,500 at Lightning practice…

34. Chris says:

Defencemen under the age of 25 who are in the top 50 cap hits among league defencemen:

4. Drew Doughty ($7,000,000, 8 years)
    10. Erik Karlsson ($6,500,000, 7 years)
    20. Tyler Myers ($5,500,000, 7 years)

Defencemen who are in the top 50 cap hits among league defencemen who signed that contract when they were 25 or younger:

7. Dion Phaneuf ($6,500,000, 6 years — signed at age 23)
    22. Keith Yandle ($5,250,000, 5 years — signed at age 24)
    47. Andrej Meszaros ($4,000,000, 6 years — signed at age 22)

Honourable mention:

Mike Green signed a 4 year deal worth $5.25 M per season as a 22 year old defencemen, which would have ranked him 22nd in the above list. He signed a 3 year contract for $6,083,333 per season, which sees him as the 12th highest paid defenceman in the league.

Discussion:

We don’t know what Subban and his agent are demanding, but the rumoured $5 M per season would put his deal as the 25th richest in the league, for context. Signing young defencemen to long-term, big $$$ deals is frought with peril. Mike Green gave the Capitals two stellar seasons in his deal, and then saw his offence slump remarkably as well as his durability, although his defensive game improved quite a bit. Nonetheless, the Capitals really had no choice but to give him a raise, so now his contract is rather high for what he brings.

Myers was a disappointment last season after signing his extension, which kicks in this season, and his production has dropped every year since his rookie season.

Phaneuf is widely regarded as a rather overrated defenceman today after the initial excitement over his offence (which peaked in his first three seasons) and thunderous hitting wore off and people started to notice that he is a mediocre to below-average defensive defenceman.

Meszaros had a good trio of seasons coming out of the lockout, averaging 8.7 goals and 36.7 points. But since being signed to his big contract, his production had also slipped. His last two seasons with the Flyers have been decent, and he will probably get a raise from somebody looking for a PP quarterback, but he’s getting into overpaid territory as well.

Yandle worked out well for the Coyotes in the first year of his new deal, posting another good season that should leave the Coyotes fan reassured that he was not a flash in the pan.

The jury is still out on Karlsson, but I don’t think anybody would be surprised if his offensive numbers slip significantly over those of last season as he tries to become a more complete player.

And finally there is Doughty, who had a rough start after scoring his huge contract, but he played well down the stretch and was a force in the playoffs.

Montreal has a tough choice with Subban and his agent. The ideal situation is a bridge contract where Subban takes less money for a short deal (2 years ideally, but even 1 is fine) as the team makes sure that they know what they have before investing big money and a long term in him. This of course carries the other risk that once you do that, you have to be willing to pay more than you might have got him for this season.

But if you sign him too big now, like the Capitals with Green, you could be forced into an ugly cap number on the next contract because NHL contracts for players in their prime almost never go down. The previous number is typically the starting point for the next negotiation.

• Bripro says:

The Habs relent in signing long-term deals as their pre-UFA contracts.
      I agree with you on the bridge contract.
      He’ll still be a RFA and then can demand the big deal.
      I think part of the problem with PK, is PK.
      He’s a great player, but he knows it.
      And he tries to come across as mature enough to know what he wants.
      He and his agent had to “clarify” their differences earlier this week so that they understood each other before sitting with Bergevin.
      Does that sound like a player willing to take a short deal for (so-called) average money? I’m not sure he even heeds his agent’s advice.
      This might take a while.

• habstrinifan says:

I was ok wih mos of your comments but saying he doesn’t heed his agent’s advice went kinda overboard I think. That’s a very harsh assessment.

• Bripro says:

I don’t remember the words he used, but when he was interviewed this past monday, he was saying that he had met with his agent on a few occasions, and he basically said that the two of them cleared the air.
          “He has his perspective, and I have mine. We needed to sort a few things out. I know what I want.” That sounded to me like he didn’t agree with Meehan.
          What does that mean? I really have no idea, but I would speculate that his agent was trying to reel him in.

• Andy and the habs says:

With the cap hit dropping to 64mn next year, I think all managements will consider the new contracts negociations will reflect to the new cap ceiling.

Edit: that is why comparisons to previous contract signings have become erelevant to a certain degree.

• Chris says:

If anything, it means that salary demands of players should be lower than the existing salaries that were signed under a different cap world.

That being said, the salary cap now basically returns to what it was two seasons ago, so it isn’t that far out to compare numbers.

35. Phil C says:

So glad to hear the Habs plan to play a more aggressive puck-pressure game and push the pace of the game. I hope that’s the last we see of a passive trap right from puck drop.

If a high ankle sprain is worse than a broken ankle, then why is Leblanc playing? Shouldn’t he sit until he’s a 100%? Can he make things worse?

Where the hell is Dr. Recchi when you need him?

Is it possible the same 11% who would rather Gomez still be here (poll question) are the same 11% who wanted PK traded (previous poll)?

• Habfan10912 says:

Or secret Bruin fans visiting this site?

———————————–

• Chris says:

The 11% answered the question as it was asked:

“Do you think Marc Bergevin made the right decision by telling Scott Gomez to stay home this season?”

Because of the can of worms I worry might get opened and the possibility of union grievances and the possibility of ramifications down the road in terms of the franchise’s reputation among the NHL’s players, I voted no.

Am I happy that Gomez is gone? Of course. Gomez is actually a swear word for my housemate and I, as it has been since the summer of 2009.

38. Hamayoune says:

Can someone explain why the Habs didn’t buy out Gomez this season?

39. ooder says:

wow Pacioretty is so well spoken, candid and mature.
    thanks naweed for pointing it out on RDS

——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

40. punkster says:

Help me out here…I finally found the reference to the recent Gomez injury that I recall reading… here:

If he was indeed injured and it was confirmed in the physical yesterday then possibly, maybe, could be…the move by MB was not particularly shameful.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

41. Habhopeful says:

I’d like to believe MB is, and will be a smart GM for our franchise. Along with the resourceful management team, They will look for the “suckers” or the “less competent” teams to deal with and look for the most willing teams in need of depth and a plethora of picks in their repetoire (Hello Columbus, 3 x 1st round picks)

As crap a team as they are, they are on the up and up and have alot of prospects/potential breakout players (Atkinson, Johanson, Murray, Erixon, Anisimov, Foligno, Jenner, Johnson, Dubinsky) They would potentially be looking for roster players (primary trade assets) and or prospects (Kristo).

Same goes with NYI, perhaps with Visnovsky not reporting, they may be interested in Kaberle if MB does it right (Its Garth Snow, anything is possible) they also have ALOT of prospects and could use more veteran leadership in exchange for a 1st rounder of theirs.

Perhaps even dangling one of our 2nd round picks along with tradeable assets in exchange for a first rounder (of a potential non-playoff team) The upside to that would be worth the exchange considering a shot at 1st overall would be attainable since the non-playoff teams would have a higher percentage of being picked than say a bubble team.

As long as MB does his due diligence with these teams and sees what he could potentially swap without following PG’s footsteps of not having a plan and without sacrifcing any of our core prospects/players/picks.

42. Psycho29 says:

“Armstrong to Tell All on Oprah Show”

Geez….the Leafs bought out his last season, and he signed a one year deal with the Habs….what’s the big friggin deal?

43. frontenac1 says:

If Mike can’t get Bourque going , nobody can. I think it will happen.

44. Phil C says:

I sitting here having a beer in honour of Gomez. He was a part of the 2010 Eastern Final team which was the most fun I’ve had watching the Habs in a long time, so for that I say thanks and good luck next season. Looking forward to see him back in the league next year, preferably in the Western Conference so that he does not burn the Habs as I’m sure he’ll have something to prove. ;-)

I know he won’t read this, but I’m throwing it out there anyway.

45. frontenac1 says:

Up in Smoke was a great Movie. A Classic.

46. Mr. Biter says:

UND report Jan11 & 12
    Kristo 3 goals 2 assists
    MacMillan 1 goal

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

47. Chris says:

Reposted now that I see a new thread…

What happens if Scott Gomez gets hurt in off-ice training while he waits for the buyout, a la Ryan White (or even Gomez himself last season). Wouldn’t all of Bergevin’s plans go up in smoke regardless?

• HabFab says:

Apparently not. White was injured working out as were so many others. There must be some legal part that they using. Did you see the CBA info I left you?

• Chris says:

I did, thanks.

I don’t see anything that addresses this case. For example, Rene Bourque was hurt in off-season workouts last year and that force the Canadiens to pay his salary until he was medically fit to play once again.

What if Gomez, as part of his responsibilities of being a hockey player, gets hurt while training before June 15th and is ruled medically unfit to play. Bergevin is making this move because he can’t afford the risk of Gomez getting hurt this season and having that remove the team’s ability to buy him out in the summer.

But training injuries normally count the same as injuries suffered in practices or games.

It is a rather long shot that such a thing could happen, but I just wonder if there isn’t still a very remote chance that the Canadiens could still be on the hook for Gomez at this time next season despite all their best-laid plans to get out from under his albatross of a contract.

• HabFab says:

Chris, what we have so far is an abbreviated version. There would be legal crap coming out of the ying yang in the full version.

• Habfan10912 says:

Happy reading you two. Over my head big time. Me? I’ll stick to a comic book or something.

———————————–

You mean the plans Bergevin didnt know about since the CBA wasn’t known yet? Seems obvious to me that only once the Amnesty Buyout came in play that the decision to sit Scotty took place.

Edit: My apologies, misread your question.

Good question, no idea how that works, I would think the lawyers with the Habs have this figured out.

• Chris says:

I don’t think anybody doubted that there would be one compliance buyout. The surprise was that there ended up being two in the CBA.

The only question for Bergevin was whether there was anything in the CBA that addressed what is a pretty clear loophole. Remember, the whole point of not having compliance buyouts right away was that it would prevent players from being able to find a new team. This kind of flies in the face of the spirit of the agreement to hold off until summer 2013 for the buyouts, no?

I suppose it does, but in that same vain everyone knew that each and every agent/GM was going to try and find loopholes in order to help their team.

I think this is really all about the Habs as a team turning the page and moving forward. ANother thing this move does, is it protects Therrien a bit. He does not have to face the media after each and every game and get asked about Gomez. Perhaps this wasn’t a distraction to the players (as Gionta and MaxPac stated) but it was a distraction to the previous coaches and was clearly going to be a distraction to MT.

I have always been a supporter of Gomez and always hoped and even though he would bounce back. It is a shame it ended this way, but it is a business and a business which did provide Gomez the contract he currently has. It sucks for Gomez, and it sucks that the Habs had to do this (chose to) but I support the decision as I believe in the long run, this is for the betterment of the organization.

I have read through all the previous thread and understand you and others found this move classless. I don’t see it that way, but rather see it as the safest way for the Habs to move forward.

I think the cap reducing to 64million next season, was the real impetus behind this.

• JF says:

Agree with your assessment of the situation. This is about the team moving forward, about having the best season possible and preparing for the future. It’s clear that the Habs would have bought out Gomez’s contract in the off-season whatever happened this year because they simply would not have the cap space. It’s best for the team to be able to focus fully on the new direction it’s taking, trailing as few bits of the past as possible.

Unfortunately for Scott Gomez, he’s one of those bits, the result of what was certainly Gainey’s worst transaction, and likely one of the worst in the team’s history. I feel really sorry for him; it must have felt like a kick in the groin not even to have another chance to prove himself. I had hoped he would be on the team and would do well this year; now I hope he can find a spot for next season.

• aemarchand11 says:

I imagine the injury would be broken down either Occupational or non-occupational, so if hes injured on his own at home then the habs would be covered?

48. remi_10069 says:

Sucks for Scott who I had the pleasure of drinking with one night a couple of years ago (very chill down to earth guy considering the cash) that he signed for such big money. Would he trade in 11 of the 15M owed to him to continue to play…doubt it.

Time to move on.

pipes

• Mr. Biter says:

I’ve posted many times before “never blame the player for his salary”, Someone offered it to him.
      When they signed Commy I wondered in the back of my head if he played well in the AHL he might get a look again with the Habs.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

I don’t know if I agree completely, his agent negotiated the contract on the players behalf. End of day, owner makes the offer, but both parties create the deal. Scott’s agent knew he was negotiating one of the bigger deals in the league at that time for his client. Scotty had to know that a contract like that comes with pressures. Whether he chose to accept that is another.

49. naweed235 says:

again for those who missed this:
    I know most here are celebrating Gomer’s departure and probably with good reason, but I suggest you go on RDS.com right now and click on the video links on the side and watch the Pacioretty interview. One of the most heartfelt interviews i’ve seen given by a Hab since the Koivu era. Go watch it.

• jols101 says:

I watched the video after you posted on the last thread and what I found most interesting is Patches comments on PK rather then Gomez.

• geo_habsgo says:

MaxPac is definitely a leader on this team. He is a true professional, passionate, and seems to be loyal to his team and his team mates which is very rare in players these days. When Gionta leaves, he is my vote to become the next captain.

IN other news, damn I miss Koivu.

• Mike D says:

Max certainly has leadership qualities, but I think Gorges has the inside track to be the next Captain as it stands right now.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• geo_habsgo says:

True that. Forgot about him for a second. In any case, I like that the youth in this team has so many leadership qualities. Great problem to have when you have a too many players who could be a captain.

50. frontenac1 says:

Marc will sign PK. It will happen.

51. Habhopeful says:

Re-posted from other thread

Here’s an interesting discussion I’d like to bring to the table…

Seeing as how the the draft lottery works by choosing from all non-playoff teams, that could be an opening for GM’s (preferably MB) to make trades and try to get a 1st rounder in return.

Looking at that:

1) Who are teams you would target if you were MB, to make a trade for a first rounder in return?

2) Who would you dangle as trade bait or what assets would you be willing to include dependant on possible return?

3) Would you try to make this trade prior to the season starting or mid-season?

My opinion on all 3:

-Primary: Toronto, Calgary, Islanders, Columbus, Anaheim, Edmonton.
    -Secondary: Colorado, Phoenix, Dallas, Detroit, Nashville, Florida, Winnipeg, Tampa, Devils, Buffalo, Ottawa.

-Primary:Thomas Kaberle, Yannick Weber, Rene Bourque, Rafael Diaz, Danny Kristo.
    -Depending on return, (Or if playoffs are out of reach) would have to hesitantly consider the following: Erik Cole, Tomas Plekanec, David Desharnais, Andrei Markov, Lars Eller, Brian Gionta.

3) I would try to make the trade very early in the season or during “pre-season”. After 15-20 games, everyone will have a good understanding of which teams would become playoff teams and which teams would not. And by the time non-playoff teams know they no longer are a playoff team, a bigger premium would be added to picking up a 1st rounder from non contending teams.

Discuss!

I cant believe we still have under 1 week before hockey begins…oye vey…

• geo_habsgo says:

The only problem i see in your suggestions is that you won’t get even close to a 1st rounder if you’re using Kaberle, Weber, Bourque, Diaz, or Kristo.

Kaberle and Bourque have the most value of that bunch but using them as a primary in a deal for a first rounder, I just don’t see it going through.

Cole, Pleks are the type of players you would have to deal in order to get a first rounder and a couple of plugs/b-c level prospect.

I like your idea though to stock up for the draft but I think we have a lot of picks in this draft actually (someone correct me if im wrong). If that is the case, then we could always trade some draft picks in order to get some higher picks.

• Phil C says:

These were the type of deals Sam Pollock would do all the time. Many of those players you mentioned might not fetch a 1st rounder straight up, but you might convince a team to give you the option to swap first rounders. They still get a 1st rounder, and they lose nothing if they finish ahead of you in the standings.

I agree with your list except I would not include DD and Eller for draft picks. I have no problem trading veterans that are not part of the rebuild. I’ve also heard this is a deep draft, so a guy like Timmins could do very well with a bunch of extra picks, even if they are late first rounders.

52. frontenac1 says:

Re/ Alain Berger. Don’t we already have enough Swiss tough guys?

53. frontenac1 says:

Dirty Birds do it! Hey,Nate Silver…your 15 minutes are up.Go Niners!

54. Rudy says:

My son said once Gomez took Koivu’s number 11 he was doomed, kind of freaky

55. HabFab says:

habsworld_net – A note on the Alain Berger situation, it’s a mutual non-buyout contract termination. The #Habs will have no cap penalty for releasing him.

56. B says:

Will Gomez still count as one of the 23 players on the roster?

–Go Habs Go!–

57. aj says:

– Therrien seems to be really pointing out to the players that he has ‘zero tolerance’ for any knick-knacks! Ooops!! I’m feeling he’s gonna be another Jacques Martin-type coach.

58. durocher says:

MaxPower and Gorgy both seem happy with how practice went. It forecasts, hopefully, a good relationship between the players and coaching staff, and a good feeling about the direction of the team.

• aj says:

Let’s ‘really’ hope that a good relationship, per-se, will blossom on Therrien 2.0 and the players. Especially when Subban does arrives at the scene!

Gorges comments in regards to being able to “talk” or “communicate” with new D coach J.J. seemed to speak directly to this not being the case last year.

59. commandant says:

Seattle is all confused. Don’t they get 6 points when the other team catches the ball in the endzone on the last play?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

60. ClutchNGrab says:

If Gomez would have accepted Lamoriello’s offer in 2007 instead of looking for higher salaries and hitting the free market, what would his career have been? His nightmare started the day he arrived in NY with Jagr not understanding why Nylander was replaced by that guy. Sure he made millions but in the end, his career will be remembered as a failure, though promising at first.

• commandant says:

He did have 70 points his first year in New York. It wasn’t that bad.

Heck he wasn’t even that bad his first season in Montreal, and was our best centre in the 2010 playoff round. Yes he was overpaid, but he was still good enough that you could live with it.

Its the last two years where he’s completely fallen apart.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• ClutchNGrab says:

I understand that statistically, compared to a lot of players, gomez had a good season in 07-08. But the fact that his winger, Jagr, dropped is point total by 25 from the previous year was the reason I see it has the beginning of a long steady slope in terms of his standing in the league. Even with a first good season with the Habs a lot of analysts were suprised that Sather was able to trade him in the first place.

Maybe failure is too strong of a word, but that contract put a stop to the ascension of what looked like a promising career.

• geo_habsgo says:

No player who won the Calder cup and two Stanley Cups will be remembered as a failure. He has been a very strong player for a very long time. As Commandant points out, Gomez was very solid for us in his first year with the team and only trailed off the last two seasons. Even last season is not the best season to judge him off of because he was injured for most of it. Tough to be productive when you are ailing.

The contract certainly became an albatross for Gomez. Hard to blame someone for trying to get all you can get, but it does come with a price. (pun intended)

61. Mike D says:

Reposted from last thread.

Max and Gio’s reaction to Gomez and Subban situations:

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

62. Mike D says:

FIRST! Or in honour of our recently departed Alaskan Latino……..

UNO!

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

63. commandant says:

Bergevin said the team wouldn’t be buying out Gomez last June in the final buyout window of the last CBA.

He always stated he would deal with all decisions under a new CBA when he saw that new CBA.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

64. Chris says:

The same thing was said about Dion Phaneuf in Calgary after his first three or four seasons. Most fans were salivating at the idea of ever getting that guy on their team.

Now, I think most fans are happy if their team doesn’t add him. He is still a useful player, but the shine is off him.

I think Subban is a very solid player and he is very good defensively compared to players like Phaneuf or Karlsson. I don’t think it is completely a given that he deserves a big deal, and it ultimately has to be a hockey decision.

I will be curious to see what Alex Pietrangelo signs for in St. Louis. The main comparables for Subban from my point of view are John Carlson (6 years, $3,966,667 per season) and Pietrangelo. Del Zotto has to prove more, as shown by his bridging contract, while Karlsson and Doughty are significantly more accomplished than Subban. Pietrangelo is in the last year of his own entry level deal, but I think he is also significantly ahead of Subban as an all around defenceman.

65. Sean Bonjovi says:

“And he’ll only get better”. That is not a certainty.

66. habstrinifan says:

I disagree that Karlsson is significantly more accomplished than Subban. Head to head Subban topped him in every game. Karlsson was in a very good system in Ottawa with a great coach. His previous two seasons with Ottawa were defensively weak.

Karlsson was more deserving of a big contract which he got than Subban but I think we would feel better having Subban than Karlsson in a year or two. But then again MAYBE NOT.

67. Sean Bonjovi says:

IMO John Carlson and PK Subban are both better hockey players than Erik Karlsson.

Edit: I’ll sort of take that back. If Subban and Carlson were allowed to play all-offence-no-defence hockey I don’t think they could score like Karlsson, so I’ll say that I believe the first two are better defencemen that Karlsson.

Edit #2: I take back my last edit. If Erik Karlsson did what it took to be half the defensive players those other two guys are they would both out-score him.

68. Chris says:

I understand that Subban is better defensively. But he’s not in Karlsson’s league offensively.

Karlsson is almost exactly one year younger than Subban. Compare their career numbers:

Erik Karlsson
    216 GP, 37 G, 149 PTS, -19, 116 PIM
    Averaged 25:19 ice time, including 20:51 ES, 0:33 SH, 3:53 PP

International and NHL Awards
    U18 World Championships – Best Defenceman (2008)
    U20 World Championships – All-Star Team, Best Defenceman (2009)
    Two time NHL All-Star (2011, 2012)
    Norris Trophy (2012)
    NHL First All-Star Team (2012)

P.K. Subban
    160 GP, 21 G, 76 PTS, +2, 245 PIM
    Averaged 24:18 ice time, including 18:11 ES, 2:36 SH, 3:29 PP

International and NHL Awards
    U20 World Championships – All-Star Team (2009)
    NHL All-Rookie Team (2011)

Despite being a year younger, Karlsson has almost twice as many points and a Norris Trophy. It is pretty hard to argue that he is not more accomplished than Subban.

Subban is a better defender, but Karlsson’s offensive superiority more than makes up for that thus far in their respective careers. I actually think Subban can be a more complete player long-term, but he’s not there yet.

69. Habfan10912 says:

You’re the best. I figured you might know. Have a good night bud. Off to sleep off what remains of this flu bug that kicked my rear end. CHeers!

———————————–

70. durocher says:

Many thanks! On yeah, one more request — can you get me Gretzky’s daughter’s phone number?

71. Habfan10912 says:

OK. Now you’re looking for Timo. :)

———————————–

72. Bill J says:

LOL, you’re quickly turning into the H I/O pimp.